zKszZMu.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2530 (resized).jpg
IMG_2529 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,030 posts in this topic. You are on page 558 of 601.
#27851 3 years ago

Not much besides airlock protection plastic and cliffies on the ramps.

In any case you don’t need a full plastic replacement set in HUO environment (my opinion).

Maybe, just maybe slingshot plastics and the airlock plastic.

#27852 3 years ago

I use a set of plastics made in PET-G, but the slingshot plastics often break.
Now I want to create some slingshot protectors to put them under the slingshot plastics.

Another solution for heavy airballs is my airlock protector (produced by Faust) and it works very well.
Without this part the airlock plastic will brake apart sooner or later.

DSCN7861 (resized).JPGDSCN7861 (resized).JPG

DSCN7862 (resized).JPGDSCN7862 (resized).JPG

#27853 3 years ago

Maybe Freddy at Convulox in Germany would run some plastic protectors if enough of us wanted them.

#27854 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Are there any plastic protectors out there? I'm not finding any sets of plastics, just some individual pieces at freeplay.

Nope ( not yet that I'm aware). They wouldn't help those acrylics anyway, but believe Averell is looking into it. Even PETG can break, but not shatter...

The sets pop up every now and then...

#27855 3 years ago

Here's a drawing for the airlock protector.
Go to your local laser cutter and let cut a PET-G part with a thickness of 1-1.5 mm.

ALIEN - Airlock Protector.pdfALIEN - Airlock Protector.pdf

#27856 3 years ago

We are preparing PET-G protectors for both Slingshots and it looks good so far.
Some improvement next week, then they will be available from an official dealer in Germany.
You can order them this December.
I will post the address here just in time.

#27857 3 years ago

Been on a cleanup rampage, and trying to get to some uploads/updates .... but there's a spanner in the works now since my RaM #500 is arriving at my very place this evening!! ... it has had a hard trip, there's going to be alot of stuff and things to do! ... got a heap of interesting Alien stuff to cover from previous and new. Next day or two I hope to get caught up with posts, when the dust settles! Lol

:3

**See, so distracted/excited I neglected what I was going to post about... L.E.D.'s. Cleanup rampage LED to a pile ( Lol ) of "questionable" but possibly ok or flowable condition.... I thought geez we really could use a simple test rig to confirm these as "OK".... ?

Takes someone way smarter than me with electronics to create something like this... thought I'd raise it as a question. Is there an easier way than lifting the playfield and using the game? . Been doing that, but some of the cable connections (in/out leads) seem iffy, need to work out how to replace those too, make them I suppose? . But anyway, would a test board for these LED's be an easy to create tool?

I seem to recall they aren't merely LED in there but serial circuitry that can fail as well. I could understand a reliable test rig being a bit complicated.

Cheers!

#27858 3 years ago

Here in Germany we have an electronic genius who has developed a small test board to check all LED, Sensors and switches used in the Pinball Machine.
He's still working on it and improves some things... he is trying to offer this test board in a kit form, so everyone is able to built it himself.

#27859 3 years ago

Hello everyone,

the sample drawings for the Slingshot protectors at ALIEN are ready.
I have tried the one with the cover - fits.
Since I can't make the parts myself, I did it together with Mirco from Playfield Protectors - thanks a lot for this.
You can buy the two Slingshot protectors and also the Airlock-Airball-Protector right now.

hj (resized).jpghj (resized).jpg

kjk (resized).jpgkjk (resized).jpg

I think it is a reasonable "investment", because the purchase of the plastics is sometimes expensive, complicated, long and sometimes not free of problems (copyright).
So take a look here if you have the chance: https://www.playfield-protectors.com/

Think about a collective order to the USA, then it will be much cheaper for everyone.

This is the entire set of three protectors: https://playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/gi1teIU1X0q586nMhQxVuA?categoryid=23&category=Plastiks%20Protektoren&name=Alien%20%28Limited%20Edition%29%20%7C%202017

regards
Averell

#27860 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Maybe Freddy at Convulox in Germany would run some plastic protectors if enough of us wanted them.

Fluorescent green would be nice, or maybe blue.

On a side note: why do Freddy (and others) always provide partial plastic sets of the fluorescent plastics. For my MM for example there are no fluorescent plastics for around the merlin and castle, so I had to make them myself. Maybe there is a specific reason for it

#27861 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Hello everyone,
the sample drawings for the Slingshot protectors at ALIEN are ready.
I have tried the one with the cover - fits.
Since I can't make the parts myself, I did it together with Mirco from Playfield Protectors - thanks a lot for this.
You can buy the two Slingshot protectors and also the Airlock-Airball-Protector right now.
[quoted image]
I think it is a reasonable "investment", because the purchase of the plastics is sometimes expensive, complicated, long and sometimes not free of problems (copyright).
So take a look here if you have the chance: https://www.playfield-protectors.com/
Think about a collective order to the USA, then it will be much cheaper for everyone.
This is the entire set of three protectors: https://playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/gi1teIU1X0q586nMhQxVuA?categoryid=23&category=Plastiks%20Protektoren&name=Alien%20%28Limited%20Edition%29%20%7C%202017
regards
Averell

Awesome, thanks for doing this!

Quoted from Faust:

Fluorescent green would be nice, or maybe blue.
On a side note: why do Freddy (and others) always provide partial plastic sets of the fluorescent plastics. For my MM for example there are no fluorescent plastics for around the merlin and castle, so I had to make them myself. Maybe there is a specific reason for it

Not sure, my set for JJPOTC was pretty complete. The yellow was spectacular. Maybe Mirco could offer some color options.

#27862 3 years ago

Just out of curiousity has anyone had any different shot rebound results from loosening the posts. This was an old trick when there was only rubber for post and rings used, now with different materials some rebound differently. The post in front of the right upper flipper is a perfect example, make it tight and you get airball, loosen and it comes back easier. When replacing with silicones, I was just wondering on changing shot dynamics. I would appreciate any experiences with keeping any slighty loose or tight. Some like different flipper rubbers from different manufacterers for rebound. Rebound/airballs can be affected the same way.
Game shots can be adjusted positively or negatively depending on the tightening setup, and if anyone has used this for wanted results I would like to hear.

#27863 3 years ago

Guys - update on the replacement EL blades being made. Making very good progress! Fitting/replication is happening right now. I will keep you posted.

Since I don't control 100% I can't guarantee but things are looking very good!

#27864 3 years ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

Just out of curiousity has anyone had any different shot rebound results from loosening the posts. This was an old trick when there was only rubber for post and rings used, now with different materials some rebound differently. The post in front of the right upper flipper is a perfect example, make it tight and you get airball, loosen and it comes back easier. When replacing with silicones, I was just wondering on changing shot dynamics. I would appreciate any experiences with keeping any slighty loose or tight. Some like different flipper rubbers from different manufacterers for rebound. Rebound/airballs can be affected the same way.
Game shots can be adjusted positively or negatively depending on the tightening setup, and if anyone has used this for wanted results I would like to hear.

Core problem here is that the loose hardware will damage your playfield over time.

If you want less rebound use Superbands or something on post sleeves.

Better option (for machine longevity) is completely remove that flipper post so the ball strikes nose of flipper. My flipper bands are all superbands so they can handle this torture no worries.

#27865 3 years ago

Never went "Floppy Loose" just spinnable to a degree for shock absorption decreasing airballs, playfield damage was non-existent. Removing that flipper post is like having your fly open in a fight!, not my cup of tea. Why do it? And how does it change shot dynamics , if any?
I went with Titans when switching my IJTPA and liked them, but they were more lively.

It's like shock absorbers on motorcycles, everyone has a setup they like for a reason and I'm just curious on ALIEN.

#27866 3 years ago

Never went "Floppy Loose" just spinnable to a degree for shock absorption decreasing airballs, playfield damage was non-existent. Removing that flipper post is like having your fly open in a fight!, not my cup of tea. Why do it? And how does it change shot dynamics , if any?
I went with Titans when switching my IJTPA and liked them, but they were more lively.
It's like shock absorbers on motorcycles, everyone has a setup they like for a reason and I'm just curious on ALIEN.

Any movement will equal opportunity for wear. "Less loose" will not always mean less damage either. Firm but still moving will affect more surface. Mega loose will affect more around the hole. Same as with people whom wierdly leave leg bolts loose. It creates damage.

How players like rubbers to "feel" is pretty subjective. I use superbands in half the applications because of value. Function and durability. I dont use superbands for baggatelle spike posts, or lanes, they're just too dead. Those places I just have OG rubber or silicone.

I still have the post in front of the flipper, although been meaning to pull it out to see. Decided I needed to make a "flat top" bolt to fill the hole level though. Some have done it I think. Just makes the chestburster shot more achievable/wider afaik. As far as a ball hitting the end of flipper, it will be much more dead than your tightened post, and the mech can handle it no worries.

#27867 3 years ago

We think alike Pinbud...never had to do it on Alien, but that right @#!& post off the pops on my TWDLE was killing me ( thought about setting it on fire one night). Tapered Titan and slight loosen of the post..spins w some resistance, doesn't wobble, did the trick.

#27868 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Any movement will equal opportunity for wear. "Less loose" will not always mean less damage either. Firm but still moving will affect more surface. Mega loose will affect more around the hole. Same as with people whom wierdly leave leg bolts loose. It creates damage.
How players like rubbers to "feel" is pretty subjective. I use superbands in half the applications because of value. Function and durability. I dont use superbands for baggatelle spike posts, or lanes, they're just too dead. Those places I just have OG rubber or silicone.

This would be a great academic debate over a few Bourbons where I kick you in the nuts first, then your turn. LOL

#27869 3 years ago

I've found Alien in general to be a pretty vicious game as the ball flies from all over the place. Reducing coil power helps, but this one is really geared for a nasty pace if you're not careful.

Just when you think things are under control....fastest orbit I've experienced just comes from nowhere..surprising for a widebody..

#27870 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

We think alike Pinbud...never had to do it on Alien, but that right @#!& post off the pops on my TWDLE was killing me ( thought about setting it on fire one night). Tapered Titan and slight loosen of the post..spins w some resistance, doesn't wobble, did the trick.

The playfield in this Alien I got has nice damage and/or wear around most posts. It's had a few games over it. Most posts firm, but none really tight. Could move them with fingers. Posts not tight, this is no good. Anyway, just saying, you know.

Preference maybe in some ways, but solve with tapered rubbers or etc. not by leaving loose. All I'm trying to say.

#27871 3 years ago

This would be a great academic debate over a few Bourbons where I kick you in the nuts first, then your turn. LOL

Wait...Bourbon?...I'm in!!

#27872 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Guys - update on the replacement EL blades being made. Making very good progress! Fitting/replication is happening right now. I will keep you posted.
Since I don't control 100% I can't guarantee but things are looking very good!

Great news!

#27873 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

The playfield in this Alien I got has nice damage and/or wear around most posts. It's had a few games over it. Most posts firm, but none really tight. Could move them with fingers. Posts not tight, this is no good. Anyway, just saying, you know.
Preference maybe in some ways, but solve with tapered rubbers or etc. not by leaving loose. All I'm trying to say.

Agreed...tapered posts are a gift from above...

Most of the post damage I've seen on this one is because of super loose posts ( mine had them) Gotta love Heighway for not using proper press in nuts as opposed to nylon lockers... especially under the ledpcb boards in random spots. Cursed them endlessly as I changed them out.

#27874 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Perfect, I really appreciate your observations, as that is what I'm looking for. You still didn't say why you removed that flipper post, and what were the results of doing it? That's what I'm looking for any "improvements" in game play. I completely understand "subjective" when selecting rubbers, been there done that!
just wondering about effects on gameplay?

#27875 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

I still have the post in front of the flipper, although been meaning to pull it out to see. Decided I needed to make a "flat top" bolt to fill the hole level though. Some have done it I think. Just makes the chestburster shot more achievable/wider afaik. As far as a ball hitting the end of flipper, it will be much more dead than your tightened post, and the mech can handle it no worries.

... You still didn't say why you removed that flipper post, and what were the results of doing it? ...

So to clarify, no I haven't tried without the flipper nose post... yet.

Thought it might be interesting to see the effects on entries to that "vent 2" ... like underhanded flipper movements, and also the chestburster shot.

It's intended to have the post there. It goes good and is challenging with it there. Cool. Just thought it could be interesting... but need to make that bolt to do it really.

#27876 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

So to clarify, no I haven't tried without the flipper nose post... yet.
Thought it might be interesting to see the effects on entries to that "vent 2" ... like underhanded flipper movements, and also the chestburster shot.
It's intended to have the post there. It goes good and is challenging with it there. Cool. Just thought it could be interesting... but need to make that bolt to do it really.

Does this mean we can all start on the Bourbon now (hope so, as I've already started)?.....

#27877 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Does this mean we can all start on the Bourbon now (hope so, as I've already started)?.....

Oooooowwwwwweeeee.... Bourbon....

That was about 10 hours ago for us Lol, it's Sunday lunchtime and a little seedy maybe here now.... Jeeebus there was some funny pinball s#it last night!

20201121_213514 (resized).jpg20201121_213514 (resized).jpg

20201121_215534 (resized).jpg20201121_215534 (resized).jpg

2020-11-22 09.51.03 (resized).png2020-11-22 09.51.03 (resized).png

#27878 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:Does this mean we can all start on the Bourbon now (hope so, as I've already started)?.....

'Bout time you put down

#27879 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Oooooowwwwwweeeee.... Bourbon....
That was about 10 hours ago for us Lol, it's Sunday lunchtime and a little seedy maybe here now.... Jeeebus there was some funny pinball s#it last night!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Sweet!!! No worries ...I got this shift.

#27880 3 years ago

Rick & Morty............. Your cup runneth over!
2 months more wait here. Enjoy, you Lucky Dog!

#27881 3 years ago

Somethings popped up.....

https://twitter.com/PinballBros

#27883 3 years ago

I might be dense, but those are some yugge hints.

#27884 3 years ago

Their posts hint on the upcoming remake, or is it just me?

I mean 'building better... pinballs' leaves not much room for interpretation

#27885 3 years ago

Yes looks like its happening!

#27886 3 years ago

I presume/hope that the new Alien pin would be built inside EU - then there would be something else for people in EU to buy than only TBL:s due to the 25 % customs penalty tariff...

#27887 3 years ago

Finally.... I got already tipped almost a year ago that they were working on it. I'm curious if it is P-roc powered and the rest more or less the same; would be an easy solution to get rid of the biggest problem; IO boards.
Dutch Pinball (TBL) also runs on P-roc and its a reliable solution.

#27888 3 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I presume/hope that the new Alien pin would be built inside EU - then there would be something else for people in EU to buy than only TBL:s due to the 25 % customs penalty tariff...

The 25% will go away a few months after Trump has moved out, no need to worry about that.

#27889 3 years ago

Pretty sure this will be an ALIEN vs. Predator.

#27890 3 years ago

If it comes it will kill the inflated re-sale prices of the Heighway games which can only be a good thing for the community.

Don't get me wrong, some of those prices are justified by the risk vs. rarity and time/money spent on fixing and upgrading games. But we'll probably see something happen like we have with MM and MB remakes, where the prices of both settle down after a while. That is if PB charge a 'normal' price for the new games.

#27891 3 years ago

While I would love a P-roc powered Alien, it would be essentially like starting over from the framework/electronics that is currently used in Alien games. I doubt that would be feasible.

Quoted from Faust:

Finally.... I got already tipped almost a year ago that they were working on it. I'm curious if it is P-roc powered and the rest more or less the same; would be an easy solution to get rid of the biggest problem; IO boards.
Dutch Pinball (TBL) also runs on P-roc and its a reliable solution.

#27892 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

While I would love a P-roc powered Alien, it would be essentially like starting over from the framework/electronics that is currently used in Alien games. I doubt that would be feasible.

Define feasible?

Redesign the playfield to use switches instead of induction switches, including changing the artwork.
Build custom light boards.
Redesign the wiring harness.
Reprogram the game from scratch.

If a kit charge as much as a good standalone pinball machine. As a new pin charge around 10k for a game that is several years old and already has a handful of owners.

Incidentally, right now have a buddy working on making a universal bracket to hold the usb cables in place. After that would like to see if we can come up with a space so the switches don't sink into their sockets. Would really help the reliability.

#27893 3 years ago

I’ve been told there is a remake coming for a year and a half now, with various modifications. When Roger sold me his personal machine, I thought that’s a pretty good indication. But if the rumors are true, they may be removing one of my favorite features, the LCD in the playfield. A Williams style cabinet makes sense for production, but one of the appeals of this machine is the completely different experience of the cabinet, the look and feel. The industrial vibe really works with this theme. I decided to dive in if a great example appeared, and have no regrets. But a remake is fine by me as well. It will be a different experience, not the same as remakes of MM, AFM, MB, etc. If the prices correct, that’s fine, but I’d guess Lebowski has set the bar here at the level of a JJP CE, which seems comparable to what is in Alien.

#27894 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Define feasible?
Redesign the playfield to use switches instead of induction switches, including changing the artwork.
Build custom light boards.
Redesign the wiring harness.
Reprogram the game from scratch.
If a kit charge as much as a good standalone pinball machine. As a new pin charge around 10k for a game that is several years old and already has a handful of owners.
Incidentally, right now have a buddy working on making a universal bracket to hold the usb cables in place. After that would like to see if we can come up with a space so the switches don't sink into their sockets. Would really help the reliability.

PROC is first and foremost hardware interface and set of drivers... they can run the same game code and just change the hardware drivers and interface in the software. They could run on the same PCs you already run alien on even.

One could in theory just focus on changing the IO boards and keeping the existing lighting/switches.

It's not as insurmountable as you infer. It's more a question of how much you think should be salvaged. That drives the scope. Swapping out the IO boards and keeping the same mech/switch/light junctions could make for a very 'swappable' upgrade. But if you want to ditch the power design, light boards, switches, etc.. then things obviously get more involved. But those are kinds of things you can do readily for a game going into production.

#27895 3 years ago

I think if you look at the common issues that kept the games for staying up and running trouble free it are some (small) mechanical issues, and this relatively unreliable IO board system.
I suspect those boards are also not cheap to produce because it is custom made for them and in low quantities. I'd swap this system.

The success of Dutch Pinball with their first real pin is, if you ask me, that they used existing mechs (WPC) and proven and existing hardware interface (PROC).
You can always later develop your own platform, but this should not be underestimated, as we've seen with Heighway and problems in the beginning with JJP.

I would swap it out, and 10-50K extra development/design change cost is quickly earned back by not having to repair NOB games.
And indeed, 10K pricetags or more are not an issue anymore, so they can increase the price.

I actually hope Averell is right and they make an ALien vs Predator.... but their pictures are only from the Alien game, so I doubt it.

Edit: anyway, it's all speculation up to now. Nonbody knows anything for sure

#27896 3 years ago

I received the final slingshot protectors and airlock airball protector today.
They fit perfect.
The material is more flexible than the first run I have tested.
Great job from Mirco at Playfield Protectors in Germany.

DSCN8327 (resized).JPGDSCN8327 (resized).JPG

DSCN8328 (resized).JPGDSCN8328 (resized).JPG

DSCN8330 (resized).JPGDSCN8330 (resized).JPG

DSCN8332 (resized).JPGDSCN8332 (resized).JPG

DSCN8333 (resized).JPGDSCN8333 (resized).JPG

DSCN8335[1] (resized).JPGDSCN8335[1] (resized).JPG

#27897 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

I think if you look at the common issues that kept the games for staying up and running trouble free it are some (small) mechanical issues, and this relatively unreliable IO board system.
I suspect those boards are also not cheap to produce because it is custom made for them and in low quantities. I'd swap this system.

The 'inherent' flaws do all seem to stem from the IO boards and no one would want to carry that baggage forward (hopefully!!). The boards have been bought from original suppliers for reasonable prices - and thats without volume. It was not $50 costs.. but the cost of the kind of stuff that is on the IO board has to be covered somewhere... in-house expertise (and confidence in them) is probably a driving factor here. Both JJP and HWP were hindered early on by failures in their electrical engineering of their hardware. They will have to decide if they think they can do it.. or just need to pay to use proc drivers, etc. (and find new space for them, etc)

Quoted from Faust:

The success of Dutch Pinball with their first real pin is, if you ask me, that they used existing mechs (WPC) and proven and existing hardware interface (PROC).

TBL doesn't use PROC and PROC drivers.. they have their own board system.

But I agree - punt the HWP IOBoard nightmare and go for a heart transplant

#27898 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The 'inherent' flaws do all seem to stem from the IO boards and no one would want to carry that baggage forward (hopefully!!). The boards have been bought from original suppliers for reasonable prices - and thats without volume. It was not $50 costs.. but the cost of the kind of stuff that is on the IO board has to be covered somewhere... in-house expertise (and confidence in them) is probably a driving factor here. Both JJP and HWP were hindered early on by failures in their electrical engineering of their hardware. They will have to decide if they think they can do it.. or just need to pay to use proc drivers, etc. (and find new space for them, etc)

TBL doesn't use PROC and PROC drivers.. they have their own board system.
But I agree - punt the HWP IOBoard nightmare and go for a heart transplant

There are P-roc boards in my Lebowski...

#27899 3 years ago

I checked their facebook page and looks like they are working on the remake
A guy in NY said CGC involved.
I had one, but had a lot of problems, I sold it but It's a cool game if it works.....

#27900 3 years ago
Quoted from legendpin:

I checked their facebook page and looks like they are working on the remake
A guy in NY said CGC involved.
I had one, but had a lot of problems, I sold it but It's a cool game if it works.....

Lloyd came right out and said CGC wasn't interested a long time ago.

Not the game that had problems, it was the company making them. Issues w early builds were documented. The issues w the late builds could have been rectified easily if there was actually a company there to stand behind it and support. The problems Alien had paled in comparison to what early WOZ had. JJP acquired investment potential to save the game and the company. Heighway did not.

PB did not make Alien (only part of the puzzle).....probably gauging interest for a financial suiter.....I'd love to see it, but highly doubtful (would be thrilled if I was wrong). Who knows?....I don't.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
9,999 (OBO)
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
There are 30,030 posts in this topic. You are on page 558 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/558?hl=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.