DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 555 of 601.
#27701 3 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

I do have 1 more question what size ferrite choke match those cables ? Thanks so much

7mm on size
Here is what I used...................

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XCMY6LT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01

#27703 3 years ago

Just want to show these beacons sent from Taiwan.
They should fit perfect as spare or to upgrade a standard machine.
I validated them with the installed beacon on my LE and they are same, except of the white housing, but this can be changed easily.
Where to get them? I have posted the EBAY-Address some pages earlier in this topic.
An interesting option is, that these beacons are available with yellow, red, blue or green glass.

DSCN8265 (resized).JPGDSCN8265 (resized).JPG

DSCN8266 (resized).JPGDSCN8266 (resized).JPG

DSCN8267 (resized).JPGDSCN8267 (resized).JPG

#27704 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

I validated them with the installed beacon on my LE and they are same, except of the white housing, but this can be changed easily.
Where to get them? I have posted the EBAY-Address some pages earlier in this topic.
An interesting option is, that these beacons are available with yellow, red, blue or green glass.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Nice!! One more redundant part to check off the list...thanks for posting and verifying..

#27705 3 years ago

To reduce the power consumption I recommend a 12 Volt LED bulb with 0,8 Watts by the same light intensity.

#27706 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sounds good. I just sent you a PM.
*****ALIEN OWNERS - PM me if you're interested in inner EL blades for your alien machine!*****
I'm happy to coordinate.
Even those with a set, might be nice to have a backup.
EDIT - already have 11 in the bag. 14 left ; )

We’re up to 14. Only 9 left to get this going. PM me if interested.....

#27707 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I didn’t see them from Taiwan, but here’s one from mainland China.

ebay.com link: 12V 110V Red Rotating Beacon Warning Caution Light Lamp Spiral Fixed Select

#27708 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

We’re up to 14. Only 9 left to get this going. PM me if interested.....

Already reached the 25 gentlemen! I had no doubt demand was there but thanks for proving it so quickly.

As for cost, if custom aprons can get 1k+ without showing any pictures of what it actually looks like, we'll be able to afford this! I'll circle back with an update including hopefully a price shortly. I'm hearing 250-350 eur but still TBD.

Cheers

#27709 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Already reached the 25 gentlemen! I had no doubt demand was there but thanks for proving it so quickly.
As for cost, if custom aprons can get 1k+ without showing any pictures of what it actually looks like, we'll be able to afford this! I'll circle back with an update including hopefully a price shortly. I'm hearing 250-350 eur but still TBD.
Cheers

What kinda bs is that statement for. Better than a jack wagon who stole other peoples ideas and sold them without asking or giving any credit. Id gladly pay for someones product whos proven themselves as a true fan of this pin since the beginning like me and has shown the capability of making something passionately that does this pin justice....unlike others who just copy and paste or simply make quick and easy stuff to make a buck off of. Nice cheap shot there.

#27710 3 years ago

Lamp from China is the same, but has a red glass.
There's a distributor that sells red, blue, green and yellow.

Try this: ebay.com link: itm

#27711 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Try this: ebay.com link

Thanks!
Anyone have blue backbox beacons? I have the original Yellow, but may get blue. Thoughts?

#27712 3 years ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

What kinda bs is that statement for. Better than a jack wagon who stole other peoples ideas and sold them without asking or giving any credit. Id gladly pay for someones product whos proven themselves as a true fan of this pin since the beginning like me and has shown the capability of making something passionately that does this pin justice....unlike others who just copy and paste or simply make quick and easy stuff to make a buck off of. Nice cheap shot there.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. Who said anything about people that copy others and sell it for profit? Let me recap what’s going on.

Am I putting down or saying don’t buy the apron? No.

Is the apron going to be really awesome? I’m sure it is.

Is the apron being sold for 1k+ with no pictures available for the buyer to see? Yes

Nethawk86 - you’re a sensitive guy, I get it. I’m trying to get these blades made and helping others in the process. Simple as that.

#27713 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Cheers

The relevance of my apron project to what you are doing is zero. Really no need to even bring it up. And no, I'm not sensitive. If TomDK wants you to broker the acrylics through you who cares? If you want to do whatever with whatever regarding selling, flipping, etc. who cares?

Bringing my project reference as a "justification" for whatever you're doing is a jab (intentional or not). You can pm if you want to discuss further, I have no interest.

The thread and the game will have a hard enough time surviving due to certain aspects (easy to repro certain parts, low #'s, easy to flip for high $$$ not knowing what the buyer is really getting, etc.).

Enough for me......

#27714 3 years ago

It's relevant for sure but we're already a small enough group of owners that I don't care enough to continue explaining. I'm just happy to hopefully bring these EL blades to other owners so they can enjoy them as well. More to come from me once I have more info.

#27715 3 years ago

Please - Stop this!!!

#27716 3 years ago

I like the blue beacons that were installed on my SE. Great in a dark room and still look good in daylight with the game off.

16037692656313529407676839609662 (resized).jpg16037692656313529407676839609662 (resized).jpg16037693420652204268250291099914 (resized).jpg16037693420652204268250291099914 (resized).jpg16037693839973470948609163829827 (resized).jpg16037693839973470948609163829827 (resized).jpg16037695266384692583744112808037 (resized).jpg16037695266384692583744112808037 (resized).jpg
#27717 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Try this: ebay.com link

Green would be interesting..I'd like to see that in action

#27718 3 years ago

Personal preference of course but YELLOW is what's in the movie !

#27719 3 years ago

If you take a closer look to the available lamps from China, there's two versions very similar with same dimensions. One version has the original three scews to fix the glass, and the other version has a screwable glass. Inside these lamps are different, the original one has a motor driven gear that makes this awful sound, but the other version use rubbers - quiet similar like F-14 Tomcat... just more compact.
I guess the version with screwable glass is the right choice, even if you have to maintain the lamp, quick and easy to fix without tools.

Right now, I think about the replacement to the screwable version, but I see a problem with the coating... may be damaged or wear off if the glass is screwed?

This is the other version of the lamp with a screwable glass and rubbers.
Should run very smooth and silence?

Another idea is, to swap the entire inside parts into the black housing to use the better drive?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#27720 3 years ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

Maybe I missunderstand your post, but:
Indeed, it was not very clever to compare the planned ElFoil with the aprons.Point.

For the rest ... the ElFoils are not copyrighted or so. It is a simple ElFoil for mounting under printed acrylic for a nice effect. No big development, Capcom used this 20 years ago on BBB.

I have the connections to let this ElFoil produce but it will become a hugh investment on 15 to 25 sets of this ElFoil. Therefor I passed this offer to ministryofpinball.com . If they are intrested to sell this product and pay the minimum needet 50 foils , they will be available.
For me as a single person with no business running it is too much money to invest and too much money for deal with for customs and tax authorities.

If there is a demand, we all should be happy to get 1 copys of the ElFoil. To make perfect fitting ElFoils a tool is required, its not possible to make single foils for a good pricing.

#27721 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

If you take a closer look to the available lamps from China, there's two versions very similar with same dimensions. One version has the original three scews to fix the glass, and the other version has a screwable glass. Inside these lamps are different, the original one has a motor driven gear that makes this awful sound, but the other version use rubbers - quiet similar like F-14 Tomcat... just more compact.
I guess the version with screwable glass is the right choice, even if you have to maintain the lamp, quick and easy to fix without tools.
Right now, I think about the replacement to the screwable version, but I see a problem with the coating... may be damaged or wear off if the glass is screwed?
This is the other version of the lamp with a screwable glass and rubbers.
Should run very smooth and silence?
Another idea is, to swap the entire inside parts into the black housing to use the better drive?
[quoted image]

Where did you find the rubber band version? I have the gear driven and it is indeed awful. I am wondering if I could transfer the guts from one to the other so it will look correct, but not sound awful.

#27723 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Look here: ebay.com link » 12v Industrial Alarm Light Rotating Strobe Emergency Warning Lamp

Does not ship to the united states sadly.

#27725 3 years ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

Same item from E-BAY America..................
ebay.com link » Rotating Beacon Warning Light Lamp Spiral Abs 12vdc 220vac Lte 1101

No, its not. Look closely. Half the image show a screw on top. Half show that it has metal screws holding the top. I own the style with screws already.

#27726 3 years ago

The white housing from the beacon is easily to cover

IMG_20200831_170533_copy_1612x1209 (resized).jpgIMG_20200831_170533_copy_1612x1209 (resized).jpg
#27727 3 years ago

The lights coming in from China are a bit of a tossup unfortunately.

I ordered this one from eBay:
ebay.com link: Emergency Light Rotator Warning Light Strobe light for factory workshop LTE 1101

And what arrived 1 month later was absolute junk. The light cover was twist off, so no screws, but importantly there were no moving parts in the unit. The "rotating light" was actually a stationary beacon in the center with LEDs on 4 sides, which when turned on / off in sequence gave the appearance of a rotating light. I threw them away.

Be careful what you buy, and share your results. I ended up ordering another set from one of the more recent links above, so thanks for sharing that.

#27728 3 years ago

Ok c'mon Twister.. that looks really ugly!

#27729 3 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Ok c'mon Twister.. that looks really ugly!

Also quite un-natural for beacons to be emerging from an Ovomorph ...

#27730 3 years ago

Just fyi I put ferrite chokes on both ends of the cables that go to the small pbc boards and I have had 0 problems so far.
Thx everyone for the help

#27731 3 years ago

I posted this quite awhile ago, I bought these from Jegs because I didn't like the bases, unfortunately I haven't installed them yet as my Alien is in storage, but I think they are a good alternative.

2470e2beccf40d6c0253c7e51948a6b082ebe11d (resized).jpg2470e2beccf40d6c0253c7e51948a6b082ebe11d (resized).jpg3326e1ff01232be864fb6080a6ee795a9a596862 (resized).jpg3326e1ff01232be864fb6080a6ee795a9a596862 (resized).jpg
#27732 3 years ago

I can not explain why, but for some reason I like the look of the high riser bases and the overall taller beacon....

Maybe it is purely that I'm used to it from seeing it so much. Whatever the reason, short squat beacons seem to look out of place or out of proportion for me.

The tall beacons have become somehow iconic.

#27733 3 years ago

If you still have the choice to prepare the BB of your ALIEN, use these ones here.
They fit and look perfect and they are better as the original beacons while turning without this awful noise.
And if you swap the bulb to an LED you have a less of power consumption to safe the power supply.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#27734 3 years ago

hello

Twister I think it's great the beacon support in the shape of an egg or have it you buy because I'm interested

#27735 3 years ago

Please let me know if you have any idea where I can find a replacement Xeno head mech. They were for sale at one time at pinballlife, but that was a while ago. Thank you.

#27736 3 years ago

Are you needing the plastics or the metal assemblies?

#27737 3 years ago

Was playing with various beacons and doing testing over the weekend, working out what the go is. Main thing I noticed is that unlike everyone else seems to, I have silent gear driven beacons ?... nonchalantly glad about that I guess, all I know is I definitely wasn't going to be down for any rubber band type beacons anyway, by my maintenance preference and work experiences. Numerous reasons. Only reason I know of to not use gear driven might be noise, but I don't have that problem anyway. I did take a video I'll post. Way more reasons to avoid rubber bands imho.

Anyway, this has led to using a spare 10 minutes at my work to prepare the mounting hardware...

2020-11-03 13.44.24.png2020-11-03 13.44.24.png

This was just an M10 SS bolt, I chucked it in the lathe and drilled a 7mm hole through it for the wires, and softened the sharp corners. I'll just cut off the 3 little pads flush, not going to be using those at all. I already drilled the two 10mm holes in the top plate, aligned by the holes in the backbox.

I have a fair bit of stuff to post here and pics, some troubleshooting and repairs after taking delivery etc. ... I'll get to that sometime soon!

#27738 3 years ago

I have a spare Xeno assembly (without the head)

razorsedge what type of Beacons are the ones that make no noise?
Mine are very noisy.

#27739 3 years ago

Ive been pretty happy with my Alien, its nearly bullet proof now. Only a few times during gameplay and only during multiball one of the balls cant make it up the ramp from the shooter on the first try, but that doesn't happen often
One of the greatest pinball game thats for sure.

One of my keys to fixing majority of my issues is make sure its completely leveled right.

#27740 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Mine are very noisy.

you know you can change the power of the beacons in settings, it helps for the noise. It really depends of the rotating speed.

#27741 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Mine are very noisy.

I have a perfect head as spare.

I bought a fulls et Xenomorph the "old style" but needet only the head for airbrushing. The heads are the same !
But for shipping cost reasons it makes only sense to ship within europe.

freeplay.se had complete assemblies some weeks ago.
https://www.free-play.se/en/playfield-parts/figurines/alien-complete-xenomorph-head-assembly.html

#27742 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Mine are very noisy.

The ones whatever they were that came with the game, I guess they weren't installed because maybe deemed "wrong" ones. I think they're perfect, except white and need painting. Getting ito that through the day!

I also have Freeplay supplied beacons, which are a bit louder, but still nowhere near as loud as my TNA beacon. But the TNA beacon I still find quite acceptable given the application

I'll post tonight with some pics and discoveries ... just got in to work, beautiful fresh spring morning here!

#27743 3 years ago

Hi Group. I have been noticing that green light is shining up through the inserts on the aliens mode inserts. It's coming up from the green lights on the board at the bottom of the cab below the inserts. Very distracting. Is this normal and can I do anything about it? Thx Brothers and Sisters.

16044653752897988447528290407768 (resized).jpg16044653752897988447528290407768 (resized).jpg16044654427864010918241129067484 (resized).jpg16044654427864010918241129067484 (resized).jpg16044654988361322553945651321676 (resized).jpg16044654988361322553945651321676 (resized).jpg16044655240235094884853452790944 (resized).jpg16044655240235094884853452790944 (resized).jpg
#27744 3 years ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

Hi Group. I have been noticing that green light is shining up through the inserts on the aliens mode inserts. It's coming up from the green lights on the board at the bottom of the cab below the inserts. Very distracting. Is this normal and can I do anything about it? Thx Brothers and Sisters.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Seen this discussed a long time back... some games had the white protective mask still on the perspex that covers the cabinet power board. Leaving this on seemingly helped diffuse the green light a bit.

I printed Averells manual, put it in a pocket binder, and it now sits above those upon the perspex... multiple birds with one book!

*This light shield also doubles as a manual.

#27745 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Seen this discussed a long time back... some games had the white protective mask still on the perspex that covers the cabinet power board. Leaving this on seemingly helped diffuse the green light a bit.
I printed Averells manual, put it in a pocket binder, and it now sits above those upon the perspex... multiple birds with one book!
*This light shield also doubles as a manual.

Nice. I have his manual in a nice folder ready to go. I will install it immediately.

#27746 3 years ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

A piece of cardboard will eliminate this effect ..... I have so many stuff and spareparts on the housing that no green light will show up.

#27747 3 years ago

Question: I was thinking to upgrade the subwoofer in the game.
Averel used the Visaton BG20; anyone has some other recommendations or opinions about it?
Same goes for the backbox speakers. Or should I leave them like they are.

Overall I'm quite happy with the sound of the game.l

#27748 3 years ago

I would say, stock speakers are ok!!! I play mine om level 3 and the roof almost comes down already.

#27749 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Question: I was thinking to upgrade the subwoofer in the game.
Averel used the Visaton BG20; anyone has some other recommendations or opinions about it?
Same goes for the backbox speakers. Or should I leave them like they are.
Overall I'm quite happy with the sound of the game.l

Visaton BG20 is not really a bass speaker

#27750 3 years ago

As been pointed out by daudioguy the cabinet speaker is NOT a subwoofer but a woofer with a different high crossover point for Low End Bass reproduction. It is a small 6" cheap chinese speaker aiming down thru a sound resisting metal grill. If you are satisfied with your current setup, keep it as is. But if you want to experience the system as designed and mixed by David Theil's sound artistry then improvements are called for. He specifically put in the Alien system a "Subwoofer" mix and says he is proud of it, rightly so. Pinball machines are not excellent speaker cabinets so your limited to the drivers. You have a lot of air cavity to reproduce sounds but it will NEVER be audiophile quality. I personally went to a 8" Infinity "woofer" in the cabinet and daisy-chained a Polk Audio self powered PSW10 "Subwoofer" externally for thumping bass. You can achieve a better stock result by putting your machine in a corner. Bass sounds increase with corner placement but become more "Muddy".
The tweets/mid's in the backbox are ok but I'm still working on replacing them. I have pinsound speakers with their board in my Indiana Jones TPA and really like the sound but Alien IS different and worth the experimentation. I want something with a more rigid cone for precision. The movies intense sound track deserves it. Don't forget we're all limited by that little 15 dollar amplifier so this is probably all academic!
Just something else to blow money on!

P.S. don't forget to bundle your IO board cables away from the speaker magnet. A MUST !

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 555 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/555 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.