New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 106728)

ALIEN PINBALL - Game Over, Man, Game Over

By HeighwayPinball

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27,701 posts
  • 1,043 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by skyknight320
  • Topic is favorited by 277 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,565 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A1D80446-8FF2-4D82-A145-3CB581812C28 (resized).jpeg
20201018_123717 (resized).jpg
20201018_115214_2 (resized).jpg
20201018_120034 (resized).jpg
DSCN6823 (resized).JPG
PXL_20201016_222557985 (resized).jpg
B8268D66-4AE1-4C3C-9FCA-9D82B3632465 (resized).jpeg
4hyu8z (resized).jpg
0A4E0C13-A559-4D8A-B3C2-7076C8299097 (resized).jpeg
195D838E-2CC2-46BD-BC39-A48CBCB0824F (resized).jpeg
A2040C82-FC03-4365-9A25-84B160EC08A7 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8257 (resized).JPG
DSCN8256 (resized).JPG
8D1DCF54-FB8B-459B-A626-53D872628FFE (resized).jpeg
C4C78CFC-629A-4BDC-B5AA-FE85AA91D072 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27701 posts in this topic. You are on page 554 of 555.
#27651 10 days ago

Have bib in place in a week or so...........

#27652 10 days ago

NO rush MK6PIN, just get it right, besides I haven't told my wife I'am getting it yet!

You know what I mean

#27653 10 days ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

NO rush MK6PIN, just get it right, besides I haven't told my wife I'am getting it yet!
You know what I mean

Lol...being right is of zero concern...I have disclaimers in place for side effects ( strobe seizures, marital unrest,etc. included) just show her the paper...then keep distance for awhile..

#27654 10 days ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

Hey dave, im the one you wanted to buy the alien off of intially remember on facebook. This pin doesnt use DIODES on the coils like traditional games do. They are located at the fuse board below. Ive been on this pin since its inception in 2014, so not unfamiliar like many about the software version. 1.2 is the last stable version of the build that dealt with big issues, 1.3 was a bad build and 1.4 just changed some settings, but they do not effect the areas im having issues with. The IO boards will not go to .9 which actually effect the lights. But im sure my issue is elseware.

Cool. I had a similar issue with fuses blowimg on a different machine and it was a bad coil. Good luck tho.

#27655 9 days ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Greatly appreciated. Ive been following this thread since day one and just dying to get immersed!!

Me too! And I promise that as soon as I win the lotto..I will be on the hunt!

#27656 9 days ago

Does anyone know what happened to Timebandit? It's been a number of months since we seem him on here.
He last was working on a batch of new LED's. Would like to get some if possible.

#27657 9 days ago
Quoted from dpeck3:

Hey guys. All of my spare parts are now sold. One person took them all. I promised one of you an I/O board and I am holding to that. Just waiting on your payment. You know who you are. If anything falls through, I’ll let you know. Thanks again!

PM send, I’m the guy you’re holding I/o boards for.

#27658 8 days ago
Quoted from Toucanf16:

PM send, I’m the guy you’re holding I/o boards for.

dpeck3 : It is a pleasure to deal with toucanf16 ... very smooth transaction ! Everything will went okay !!!

BTW: I heard that Mr.Pinball has still or can get I/O Boards if more are needet.

#27659 8 days ago

Looking for a new EL inverter. Model nr. HY AC5000-BKL. It’s located in the rear of the cabinet. Can find it via several oriental sites, but cannot order just one: minimum is 10 or company doesn’t ship to my country. Any idea where I can buy this inverter?

B8268D66-4AE1-4C3C-9FCA-9D82B3632465 (resized).jpeg
#27660 8 days ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Looking for a new EL inverter. Model nr. HY AC5000-BKL. It’s located in the rear of the cabinet. Can find it via several oriental sites, but cannot order just one: minimum is 10 or company doesn’t ship to my country. Any idea where I can buy this inverter?
[quoted image]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dedicated-EL-Inverter-for-A1-size-EL-Panel-5000squ-cm-Driver-from-60-00/233203448779?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=532702488950&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

#27661 8 days ago

I thought someone had a source for beefier targets in front of the xeno head. Are these still available? They keep getting bent back and causing the jaw motor to break.

#27662 8 days ago

Does anyone know what happened to Timebandit? It's been a number of months since we seem him on here.
He last was working on a batch of new LED's. Would like to get some if possible.

I have leds

#27663 7 days ago

Mike is amazing w his work. Not sure what he's into now, but last time we spoke I was sure he was coming back to Alienland soon....(I missed out on the cool dome covers he made for his dual sling LED's)

#27664 7 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Mike is amazing w his work. Not sure what he's into now, but last time we spoke I was sure he was coming back to Alienland soon....(I missed out on the cool dome covers he made for his dual sling LED's)

Exactly, me too on the dual sling led's. Maybe if we yell loud enough................HEY MIKE, DINNER!

#27665 6 days ago

With all of the talented folks on here making aprons, mini beacons, etc.....if anyone is interested in retrofitting an EL Light kit for the side art, lmk. I know the parts are available but quite frankly, each time I remember to buy it, something comes up and I rather not spend the time if not needed. I'm sure you can make some extra cash too!

PM if interested. I've had a number of alien owners already reach out to me for my help on it so I know there is a market.

Thanks!

#27666 3 days ago

Just got this game and SO excited, here's to hoping everything holds up! Now I just need to catch up on all the latest news as I haven't paid attention cause never thought I'd get one. This this best thread to keep up on everything or are there others?

PXL_20201016_222557985 (resized).jpg
#27667 3 days ago

Welcome to the club, She's a beauty!
Yes, other threads you can look at and enjoy......................

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/get-away-from-her-you-bitch-alien-club-all-members-expendable/page/8

YOU WILL WANT THE LATEST CODE UPDATE, GET IT HERE.............

1.4 code update........... https://oddchange.com/alien/

And of course Averell's excellent Alien Rulesheet booklet.......

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/546#post-5782214

There is a lot more and if you need anything else just ask.

#27668 3 days ago

Congrats on the game, bemmett ! Hope you love it.

Next to a JJPOTC too... nice pair of rarities.

#27669 3 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Congrats on the game, bemmett ! Hope you love it.

Next to a JJPOTC too... nice pair of rarities.

Thanks all! Widebodys have to stick together. Anyone replaced that glass on Alien with Invisiglass? Wish I had an extra sheet to try but before I track one down wondering if anyone had done it already

#27670 3 days ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Just got this game and SO excited, here's to hoping everything holds up! Now I just need to catch up on all the latest news as I haven't paid attention cause never thought I'd get one. This this best thread to keep up on everything or are there others?[quoted image]

Congrats and welcome!!! I've got PDI in mine and well worth it imho. The magazine is heavy, and you'll have to take out a bunch of screws to remove the brackets holding the glass on the inside.
No biggie, and gives you a great chance to look at the posts to ensure that they never have a chance to touch the glass if it were to shift.
Early models had no bushings, and several arrived w smashed glass. Mine had a few in the right places, but chose to put one on every post as I am OCD like that....
I'll maybe get a chance to post a pic soon, but wrapping up another Alienland project at the moment..

#27671 2 days ago

The original glass is pretty think and therefore heavy as hell combined with the frame. I replaced the glass with the “Roman” glass from Germany. Two big plusses: big visual improvement and the weight is reduced a lot.
Removing the original glass is fairly easy. Just remove about 20 screws. When you reassemble use proper sticky foam and protect the glass from the metal screws.

#27672 2 days ago

This is the procedure how to change the glass... be careful with the blue soft spacers, they have to be in the right position.
Don't overtight the scews, otherwise the glass will crack!!!

DSCN6823 (resized).JPG

#27673 2 days ago

On Friday I received a new (to me) Alien, SE#65

Collected from the customs depot... and glad to have it in one piece, no forklift tynes through the side thank goodness!

20201018_120034 (resized).jpg

Very impressed with EL side blades! . Some Xeno work to do, but was aware of that.

I don't quite get why, but the main score always shows Zero? ... scores still come up in player positions, but... yeah. Maybe corrupt code somehow? . There is also some odd lighting behaviour, like other than hardware/firmware... ?

20201018_123717 (resized).jpg

Code version says: V1.4B2

Biggest issue would be that I'm going to have to work out what to do with the pretty badly damaged window frame, which was obviously bent by strapping across it to the pallet with some amount of skewed tension, and so bent in shipping with the cargo movement/kinetics.

20201018_115214_2 (resized).jpg

It's more than 1/4" bend, I don't think I'll be able to straighten it without cracking the coating .

Might look at getting one made from stainless steel maybe.

#27674 2 days ago

Is there an easy link to information on serial RGB assignments/strings, for troubleshooting LED inset problems/faults??

I thought Averell had included something in his great game instructions, but maybe not or I don't have the newest version?

#27675 2 days ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

There are several "chains" of lights that when you go to lamp tests are numbered/lettered 1-A, 1-B, 2-A, 2-B, etc. There was a post a while back that had them listed, but this can also be seen in the individual lamp test.... I do wish I could find that post. But essentially the very first LED in that "chain" that fails to light/work is usually the culprit, and it has likely gone bad and needs to be replaced. Replacement of this LED (which is very easy, if not done before, just need to loosen or sometimes remove a couple of the screws holding the board to the playfield near that light to gain physical access to that light, the LED slides out and the new one slides in, there's only one way to go in so you can't replace it incorrectly) usually will fix the issue for that light and the other lights on that chain. Sometimes (infrequently) it's a couple LEDs within that chain (note that all it takes is one LED on that chain of lights to mess the whole chain up/interferes with the communication along that chain).
I remember on my last game, I had a light on this very chain go funny (would only go green, never color change, from the Super, across the scoop stand-ups, the Xeno to the close pop bumper), and if I remember right, in my case (much like on yours) it was the LED at the Super insert light (or maybe the light just to the left of the Super by the left far ramp?)...but right around there.
Would recommend replacing that first non-functional LED, and work your way along that "chain" if needed (but it very well may be just that one LED). Again, it will make more sense - these "chains" of lights - once you enter into the individual lamp test.
Keep us posted!
Edit:
Found the post with the lamp matrix, it's under the technical subsection:
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Heighway_Pinball_Repair

Quoted from razorsedge:

Is there an easy link to information on serial RGB assignments/strings, for troubleshooting LED inset problems/faults??
I thought Averell had included something in his great game instructions, but maybe not or I don't have the newest version?

Found it!

#27676 1 day ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

On Friday I received a new (to me) Alien, SE#65
I don't quite get why, but the main score always shows Zero? ... scores still come up in player positions, but... yeah. Maybe corrupt code somehow? . There is also some odd lighting behaviour, like other than hardware/firmware... ?

You have a mismatch between the game code and the video system code. Installing the 1.4 image from https://oddchange.com/alien/ will correct this.

1.4B2 was a test version of the game code only, without video updates. It looks like this was installed onto a 1.2 game, so you're missing the video updates from 1.3, where the score layout was modified.

#27677 1 day ago

Want some guidance. With 25,000+ posts, my questions probably have been answered (I have done a bunch of searches within this thread). Appreciate any help

I am buying this game soon. Would like to have as many spare parts as possible.

1. Which parts/mechs/boards are most likely to fail?
2. Where is the best place to find parts?
3. Are there parts that are no longer available?

Don't want to end up with a 15k paperweight.

Thank you very much.

#27678 1 day ago
Quoted from bcd:

You have a mismatch between the game code and the video system code. Installing the 1.4 image from https://oddchange.com/alien/ will correct this.
1.4B2 was a test version of the game code only, without video updates. It looks like this was installed onto a 1.2 game, so you're missing the video updates from 1.3, where the score layout was modified.

Excellent info! ... thank you very much!

Question: That link takes me to a page that gives me a .upd file? ... which I assume is an "update" rather than an "image"?

Should I be locating an Image file? ... or should I be trying to apply this update?

I have installed images before, so that is no problem if recommended, and if I have access to an image or .iso file.

Or, would the linked "final" code update include these video updates from 1.3 as well as game?

#27679 1 day ago

The .upd package should be fine for you. There are different images available if you have a complete hard drive failure and need to start from scratch, but the .upd should work since the game system is up and running.

#27680 1 day ago
Quoted from delt31:

With all of the talented folks on here making aprons, mini beacons, etc.....if anyone is interested in retrofitting an EL Light kit for the side art, lmk. I know the parts are available but quite frankly, each time I remember to buy it, something comes up and I rather not spend the time if not needed. I'm sure you can make some extra cash too!
PM if interested. I've had a number of alien owners already reach out to me for my help on it so I know there is a market.
Thanks!

*IF* there is a demand of at least 25 for each side I have a firm to make them. But preparing the tools for that size is expensive.
And I need a muster, not willing to remove my working El-Lights for that.

Cheers
Tom

#27681 1 day ago

Are the square LED modules available anywhere other than freeplay.se? Their shipping charges are horrendous and I don't really need anything else at the moment.

#27682 23 hours ago
Quoted from Mik-ReadingUK:

Are the square LED modules available anywhere other than freeplay.se? Their shipping charges are horrendous and I don't really need anything else at the moment.

I remade the square LED PCBs. It's just the bare board. If you can solder yourself, I can send you a lot for a few cents.

#27683 23 hours ago
Quoted from TomDK:

*IF* there is a demand of at least 25 for each side I have a firm to make them. But preparing the tools for that size is expensive.
And I need a muster, not willing to remove my working El-Lights for that.
Cheers
Tom

Sounds good. I just sent you a PM.

*****ALIEN OWNERS - PM me if you're interested in inner EL blades for your alien machine!*****

I'm happy to coordinate.

Even those with a set, might be nice to have a backup.

EDIT - already have 11 in the bag. 14 left ; )

#27684 20 hours ago

The apron is almost ready and figured I put a message here too for those who are new to the Alien club (since it has almost been 3 months).
Haven't checked this thread in a long time; will read up.

A video here:

Info on it in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-apron-amp-lighting-mod-#post-5823559

#27685 13 hours ago

Looks incredible Faust!

#27686 13 hours ago

Hi everyone in alienland. Can I use 3.0 cables for the boards going to the cpu. they say they’re 10 pin I don’t know what any of that stuff means? I found some that are super super insulated.

#27687 12 hours ago

Are you talking about Video DVI cables or IO board cables?

#27688 11 hours ago

Regarding USB cables; I only got permanently rid of communications after putting ferrite chokes on both ends of the usb cables. So when replacing look for cables that have them, or attach them.

A1D80446-8FF2-4D82-A145-3CB581812C28 (resized).jpeg
#27689 10 hours ago

Thank you guys for the quick response!
Sky it’s for the I/o boards.
I got numerous 2.0 cables but they still do not work I believe they are not insulated enough also they do have the ferrite chokes on at least one side.
Thx

#27690 10 hours ago

If you are replacing your IO board USB cables you MUST route your cables far away from your speaker magnet, or all the ferrite chokes in the world won't help. The USB connection has always been a poor engineering decision by the Heighway team and you MUST secure it IN the IO board connectors so it won't wiggle or move in any way . This is the cause for a lot of errors and the only way I know to secure them is by using LADDERS like these.............https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-ladder-tree-wiring-harness-support-3-12-tall.html. There was a case reported where the USB connector on the board failed breaking off. Get good cables like these...........

amazon.com link »
with ferrite chokes put on each end, secure with ladders at the connections, and you will be good to go!

#27691 10 hours ago

Awesome sky! Thank all for the help

#27692 10 hours ago

I do have 1 more question what size ferrite choke match those cables ? Thanks so much

#27693 10 hours ago

Skynight is spot on; the subwoofer will give a lot of EM interference and I’ve had also on my game ‘ IO board missing’ due to the cables being close to the speaker. Its hard to avoid when opening the game (playfield), so what I did is bundle all cables that go to the pc and used some extra cable clips to route them to the right side of the cab.

The ferrites should be ideally the size of your cable (3mm?) mine are too big, but they work (or I think they work )

#27694 10 hours ago

All this talk of choking ferrets makes me squirm.

#27695 9 hours ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

Want some guidance. With 25,000+ posts, my questions probably have been answered (I have done a bunch of searches within this thread). Appreciate any help
I am buying this game soon. Would like to have as many spare parts as possible.
1. Which parts/mechs/boards are most likely to fail?
2. Where is the best place to find parts?
3. Are there parts that are no longer available?
Don't want to end up with a 15k paperweight.
Thank you very much.

My opinion: stuff that can break are IO boards, but they can also be fixed. A spare is nice to have but not a must.

The xeno assembly will need fixing if your previous owner didnt do it yet.

get cliffies on the inlanes of the ramps to avoid breaking after many plays (protects the hole through the acrylic).
The plastics are fragile but in HUO environment they will survive.

Facehuggers will lose some legs; keep 2 spare, but never replace them (because will happen again).

If something breaks; ask in the forum
and you will get help

#27696 9 hours ago
Quoted from Ferret:

#27697 9 hours ago

Thx Faust !
Ferret ! That’s funny buddy!

#27698 9 hours ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I think I broke a rib laughing so hard!

Thanx, that one will last awhile.

#27699 4 hours ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Too funny Joe!!. I think choking a Ferret is illegal, so you're good...( just saw this...another lovely 14 put in at the hospital yesterday)

Ref- USB 3.0 ask = no go, as the connection is different. As mentioned, a quality shielded USB 2.0 cable ( A to mini or micro, mind a bit foggy) is more than sufficient.

Bigger issue is proper lacing , including strain relief at the I/O board. Factory (?) version has a very thin walled socket to hold the cable, causing it to not seat correctly. And if the cable gets too close to cab speaker magnet, game over for reliability.

Ferrite chokes mostly used to calm the noise on video cables, but certainly no harm here either.

Best of luck...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Paris, ÎLE-DE-FRANCE
Machine - For Sale
Chichester, WEST SUSSEX
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Concealed Art
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 34.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
There are 27701 posts in this topic. You are on page 554 of 555.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside