DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 552 of 601.
#27551 3 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

The hook goes on the servo. The servo, if I remember correctly, has its arm on the LEFT side when you are looking from lockbar position to the alien.]
Edit: Let me search through my picture history. I took pictures disassembling.
One tip: I made all the metal parts black; looks a bit better (in my optinion).[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you sir!

#27552 3 years ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

Sounds awesome. Thanks. So when we open it up we will want to determine if it's a metal gear or plastic? If its plastic i need to order a new stepper motor with the metal gear? No problem. Do you know where I can buy one? The original owner of this game told me this was a later production machine from cointaker, if that means anything. I'm working on video of the problem now and will open it up this weekend when my complete xenomorph assembly arrives in the mail from pinball life. If I dont need the new xenomorph assembly I will just add it to the bin of parts for this machine that I'm assembling for down the road if needed. Thanks !

Just let me know if you get in a jam with needing a servo. I have a bag of them.

#27553 3 years ago

Got inspiration from others on here that painted/upgraded their Xenomorphs. Sent mine to a painter I have used on other projects. I think it turned out fabulous!

IMG_7267 (resized).JPGIMG_7267 (resized).JPGIMG_7268 (resized).JPGIMG_7268 (resized).JPGIMG_7269 (resized).JPGIMG_7269 (resized).JPGIMG_7270 (resized).JPGIMG_7270 (resized).JPG
#27554 3 years ago
Quoted from dpeck3:

Just let me know if you get in a jam with needing a servo. I have a bag of them.

Awesome. PM sent.

#27555 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Got inspiration from others on here that painted/upgraded their Xenomorphs. Sent mine to a painter I have used on other projects. I think it turned out fabulous!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks awesome. I really should find someone, have a spare alien head I could have painted.

#27556 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The infamous stepper motor issue. Can you take a pic of what is in your game now? Early ones had plastic gearing...there are 2 metal geared ones that both work great. Super cheap. To do it right, I'd recommend pulling the entire assembly off (only 4 screws), and you can rebuild/ test as required. I actually made a little jig to put mine above the backboard (easy) so I could actually plug it in and cycle on the game. Wanted to understand how the thing worked (early days) and really helped me dial in the jaw so it behaved.
Not as scary as you might think......

Here is a video of the jaw with the xeno disabled and how its behaving. Also pictures of the little gear attached to jaw with the stiff wire that makes it move up and down

#27557 3 years ago
20200827_174329 (resized).jpg20200827_174329 (resized).jpg20200827_174342 (resized).jpg20200827_174342 (resized).jpg20200827_174357 (resized).jpg20200827_174357 (resized).jpg20200827_174954 (resized).jpg20200827_174954 (resized).jpg
#27558 3 years ago

The video show all that the lower jaw does regardless of whether or not the xeno is turned off in setting. Also does the same thing in test. Thanks

Quoted from dpeck3:

#27559 3 years ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

The video show all that the lower jaw does regardless of whether or not the xeno is turned off in setting. Also does the same thing in test. Thanks

The plastic gear inside the servo is stripped. It is trying to get the internal pot to it's desired position and just keeps homing but because the gear is stripped can never achieve the set position (in this case jaw closed).

This is why the servo motor stops "chasing" when you manually lift the jaw closed to the position the software is trying for. Stripped gear just doesn't let it happen, so servo is stuck trying to move to a physical position, keeps trying till it gets there, but never does (unless you help it).

#27560 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

The plastic gear inside the servo is stripped. It is trying to get the internal pot to it's desired position and just keeps homing but because the gear is stripped can never achieve the set position (in this case jaw closed).
This is why the servo motor stops "chasing" when you manually lift the jaw closed to the position the software is trying for. Stripped gear just doesn't let it happen, so servo is stuck in a loop.

Is this the part that dpeck has offered me in prior post. Am I correct that I need to replace that blue plastic box with the arm attached to it? Once I obtain the part can someone tell me how it connects to the head assembly. I can see where it attaches to the jaw via the arm. Thanks everybody

Quoted from dpeck3:

#27561 3 years ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

Is this the part that dpeck has offered me in prior post. Am I correct that I need to replace that blue plastic box with the arm attached to it? Once I obtain the part can someone tell me how it connects to the head assembly. I can see where it attaches to the jaw via the arm. Thanks everybody

I believe so. It is a bit of a fidly job to change, remove the head from the playfield. The servo body just bolts into the lower frame. Can take a bit of tweaking/adjustment to get the jaw positions right, but it's not too bad.

#27562 3 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1789091381

72BAC424-E37E-4935-AB25-BB957DD2EEEF (resized).jpeg72BAC424-E37E-4935-AB25-BB957DD2EEEF (resized).jpeg
#27563 3 years ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

@frag is correct ( I've been in Apron land tonight). The blue plastic box is the stepper motor, make sure to replace w one of the versions I posted a bit above.

I'd certainly change the main plastic gear I see to the slotted metal version while you're in there. I think those were originally held w glue (!), then slotted plastic, then finally metal. It will fail at some point driving the tongue in and out . Can't remember and foggy on where to get that...mine came w the metal version already installed, but someone can chime in.

#27564 3 years ago

Once the Xeno is disassembled, whatch for this and improve the bracket if necessary and swap the plug on the Xeno Driver Board to plug in the spare servo without changing the wiring.

DSCN7712 (resized).JPGDSCN7712 (resized).JPG

DSCN7713 (resized).JPGDSCN7713 (resized).JPG

DSCN7227 (resized).JPGDSCN7227 (resized).JPG

DSCN7230 (resized).JPGDSCN7230 (resized).JPG

Unbenannt (resized).JPGUnbenannt (resized).JPG
#27565 3 years ago

You need this servo..........
ebay.com link: MG90S 9g Moto Servo Micro Metal Gear for Boat Car Plane RC Helicopter Arduino US

And this gear...........

ebay.com link: 28T 32P Steel Pinion Gear 1 8 3 175mm 5mm Bore Fits Traxxas Slash Stampede

Do not put grease on the gear!

Quoted from Per_:

You may read here some servo background details: https://www.jameco.com/jameco/workshop/howitworks/how-servo-motors-work.html
The interesting part is, that the motor moves the gear with the attached mechanics (in this case the jaw) and the build in sensor (potentiometer) is constantly checking if the requested position of the output shaft (given via PWM by the controller) is reached. If not the build in electronics powers the motor.
So, if there are problems with the gear (worn out plastic teeth) or the mechanics (tight or too heavy parts) preventing the whole construction to reach the intended position the motor will be trying and running all the time.
All Alien (old and new) came with plastic gear servos: a Tower Pro SG90. Replace it with a new one or with a similar model with metal gears like the MG90S or MG90D (double bearings). But they have slightly different sizes - some adjustments might be needed. I even had one servo which was running in the wrong direction...

#27566 3 years ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

You need this servo..........
ebay.com link » Mg90s 9g Moto Servo Micro Metal Gear For Boat Car Plane Rc Helicopter Arduino Us
And this gear...........
ebay.com link » 28t 32p Steel Pinion Gear 1 8 3 175mm 5mm Bore Fits Traxxas Slash Stampede
Do not put grease on the gear!

Bingo!!! Nice precise post...should be bookmarked or something as it can be tough getting around a thread this long.

On a side note - How may other threads have this many posts? 27.5k and counting...pretty insane. The stuff of a novel in here!

#27567 3 years ago

Well, back on the hunt for Alien. The LE in Europe fell through. If you guys know of any LEs that aren’t too crazy expensive, let me know! The one I had arranged was just shy of $11k unshipped, shoulda gotten that NIB!

#27568 3 years ago

An LE for $11k seems cheap these days. I think non LE games have been going for $12-14k recently (usually have some extra parts with them). Good luck on the hunt!

#27569 3 years ago

Update on the lighting mod: all lamps are ordered from pistenking and 15 sets of prints are ready, fibishing hopefully all next weekend and will ship then.
Thanks everybody for their patience.

Apron update: see picture (upside down so the Australians see it normally)
Made some small improvements after the proto, new iteration arrives end of the week.
I will also make a separate thread for updates on this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-apron-amp-lighting-mod-#post-5823559

225600FF-CAD7-478C-A35F-F73D20F2A58F (resized).jpeg225600FF-CAD7-478C-A35F-F73D20F2A58F (resized).jpeg

#27570 3 years ago

I heard their toilet water spin drains the wrong way too! Is that true????

#27571 3 years ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

I heard their toilet water spin drains the wrong way too! Is that true????

wrong way is an interesting term? what make you think your spin drains are the right way???????????

#27572 3 years ago

Your right, my mistake and apologies..............We're all in this together as long as it goes down!

#27573 3 years ago

I’ve got more stuff coming but couldn’t resist in showing it off. Added a fourth screen because I hate the fact that they left Ripley completely out of it. I’ve got some face huggers coming in jars that light up, a Sulaco, Bishop and a few other playfield toys but this thing is a beast. It looks great.

#27574 3 years ago
Quoted from dpeck3:

I’ve got more stuff coming but couldn’t resist and showing it off. Added a fourth screen because I’ve got some face huggers coming i jars that light up, a Sulaco, Bishop and a few other playfield toys but this thing is a beast. It looks great.

Wow, awesome, screens for every corner!

#27575 3 years ago
Quoted from dpeck3:

I’ve got more stuff coming but couldn’t resist and showing it off. Added a fourth screen because I’ve got some face huggers coming i jars that light up, a Sulaco, Bishop and a few other playfield toys but this thing is a beast. It looks great.

You my friend, have gone from someone who was mildly (barely) impressed with the game at first, to full on obsessed with it!!! Major props to you on your passion for the machine!!

(truly hope you have upgraded your 12v power supply, as your machine is glowing with intensity now....)

#27576 3 years ago

Is there anyone in Phoenix that has an Alien to play!!

#27577 3 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Is there anyone in Phoenix that has an Alien to play!!

Either myself or skyknight320/tronlover (father/son, tronlover owns it, skyknight320 is storing it) with LEs. We're the only ones in AZ with them. I have mine apart though going through it and creating my Mods for everyone, so mine currently isnt playable yet.

#27578 3 years ago

Duplicate post

#27579 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

You my friend, have gone from someone who was mildly (barely) impressed with the game at first, to full on obsessed with it!!! Major props to you on your passion for the machine!!
(truly hope you have upgraded your 12v power supply, as your machine is glowing with intensity now....)

I decided to make it simple to reverse and not to over stress the stock power supply. I have all the mods on a separate power supply. The face huggers in the glowing tubes are pretty cool. Looking forward to installing them.

#27580 3 years ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

Either myself or skyknight320/tronlover (father/son, tronlover owns it, skyknight320 is storing it) with LEs. We're the only ones in AZ with them. I have mine apart though going through it and creating my Mods for everyone, so mine currently isnt playable yet.

Id love to check it out sometime, when your back up and running.

#27581 3 years ago

A few years ago I was considering getting a Full Throttle, but ran into too many people who couldn't keep their games running. It scared me off. I've gotten the itch again, but I'm still concerned about the risk. Last thing I want is to end up with a $4000 paper weight.

How worried should I be about this these days? I see there's lots of community support for Alien, but how transferable is this to Full Throttle? How likely is it that I have a bricked game a couple years from now? Appreciate any insights.

And any thoughts about a fair price for one these days? Years ago people couldn't give them away for well under $4K, but not sure where the *realistic* market is on them these days (also factoring in the "it could be dead some day" factor).

#27582 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

A few years ago I was considering getting a Full Throttle, but ran into too many people who couldn't keep their games running. It scared me off. I've gotten the itch again, but I'm still concerned about the risk. Last thing I want is to end up with a $4000 paper weight.
How worried should I be about this these days? I see there's lots of community support for Alien, but how transferable is this to Full Throttle? How likely is it that I have a bricked game a couple years from now? Appreciate any insights.
And any thoughts about a fair price for one these days? Years ago people couldn't give them away for well under $4K, but not sure where the *realistic* market is on them these days (also factoring in the "it could be dead some day" factor).

I own both. I am still working through getting my alien running, but have been elbow deep fixing both games.

Full throttle I got with major issues. It had been jacked with and I used my alien (which is in a full throttle cabinet) to fix the wiring hacks. If it weren't for alien being as desirable and having such a large community I'd say steer clear, but because of Alien I wouldn't be concerned about full throttle.

Reason is that parts that many parts have or will end up getting remade for alien owners. On mine the rider that spins to follow the ball uses the same servo board as the alien tongue. Mine had the main chip fail, but its an off the shelf servo controller that I got a 5 pack off amazon for 10 bucks. The spinning discs can come off, but if you dig someone has made them. I bought a spare set even though I don't need them. Could probably use double sided tape to reattach it if they did.

The computer is no longer made. I would keep an eye on ebay and snag a spare. The software to create a sd card from scratch is available. It uses the same io boards as alien and those have been remade. Switches, leds, same as alien. The game does like to have things come lose. A lot of adjusting the induction switches (lift the playfield, push the induction switch up towards the playfield fixes it everytime).

It is more maintenance intensive than other machines, but its a lot of game for 4k.

#27584 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

IOBoards have been remade?

A guy is Germany bought a very earlie Alien and needet all boards.
He got 2 boards from Australia, I think Mr.Pinball, and the dealer stated there can be made more if needet .... therefor it seems like with the light-pcb, if the chinese maunafturer "pops up" ... they can be remade.

#27585 3 years ago

Does anyone recommend an upgraded 12v psu they are using? Wanted to go ahead and replace mine.

#27586 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Does anyone recommend an upgraded 12v psu they are using? Wanted to go ahead and replace mine.

I'll post model #'s tonight and you can choose

#27587 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'll post model #'s tonight and you can choose

Appreciate it

#27589 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Another long day at work. For me, the one area NOT to skimp is the power supply. The Delta 12v on Alien is 12amps!!! Way underpowered and caused my game to hard rest quite often actually. One pop of the hood exposed that one.

https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=HRP-450 The "-12" version gives you 37.5 amps @12vdc. Should be considered a minimum upgrade. Around $140.00

If you're going to add mods, remember (almost) everything on this game runs at 12v , and LED strips (biggest culprit), can pull quite a bit of current.

This one is in my game: https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=HRPG-1000 . around $219.00

Around 68 amps@12v, has very good A/C inrush current handling, variable speed fan, and now makes me unafraid of PS issues, period. Have not had 1 reset since installing.

Overkill for some, peace of mind for me. People spend $300.00 for 3d printed toys. A good power supply is worth the investment, imho.

Hope that helps......

IMG_20200909_204905301 (resized).jpgIMG_20200909_204905301 (resized).jpg
#27590 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Another long day at work. For me, the one area NOT to skimp is the power supply. The Delta 12v on Alien is 12amps!!! Way underpowered and caused my game to hard rest quite often actually. One pop of the hood exposed that one.
https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=HRP-450 The "-12" version gives you 37.5 amps @12vdc. Should be considered a minimum upgrade. Around $140.00
If you're going to add mods, remember (almost) everything on this game runs at 12v , and LED strips (biggest culprit), can pull quite a bit of current.
This one is in my game: https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=HRPG-1000 . around $219.00
Around 68 amps@12v, has very good A/C inrush current handling, variable speed fan, and now makes me unafraid of PS issues, period. Have not had 1 reset since installing.
Overkill for some, peace of mind for me. People spend $300.00 for 3d printed toys. A good power supply is worth the investment, imho.
Hope that helps......[quoted image]

I'm not near my games (8000 miles away). Does anyone know if the same MeanWell PS will work in a Full Throttle? Thanks

#27591 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I'm not near my games (8000 miles away). Does anyone know if the same MeanWell PS will work in a Full Throttle? Thanks

I dont see why not. My ft and alien use the same power supplies. Yes mine has the transformer for 70v which so far has yet to blow a fuse.

#27592 3 years ago

Is there a way to get the coin slot lights on the coin door to light when the game is set to free play?

Thanks

#27593 3 years ago

Today resurrected my ALIEN after a longer period of improvements.
The 2.1 Speaker Protection Board works very well.

ebay.com link: itm

DSCN8207 (resized).JPGDSCN8207 (resized).JPG

#27594 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Is there a way to get the coin slot lights on the coin door to light when the game is set to free play?
Thanks

Anyone know this answer? My coin door lights are off when set to free play. They come on if set too take coins. I get the concept but it seems odd.

Thanks

#27595 3 years ago

Would someone with the EL lit side panels measure the three panels and send to me via PM?

I can then work with the vendor so it can be available for others.

I would be willing to pay for your troubles.

PM if interested thanks

#27596 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Anyone know this answer? My coin door lights are off when set to free play. They come on if set too take coins. I get the concept but it seems odd.
Thanks

I took the easy route and just wired the socket direct to the power supply (12v bulb remember), avoiding the game harness all together. Alot of confusion, mislabeling on their part during assembly. Took me about 15 minutes, and recommend.

#27597 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I took the easy route and just wired the socket direct to the power supply (12v bulb remember), avoiding the game harness all together. Alot of confusion, mislabeling on their part during assembly. Took me about 15 minutes, and recommend.

Ok thanks Mark. I was hoping there would be a setting to change.

#27598 3 years ago

As I recall, the coin slot lights were coded to work that way intentionally, to help signal whether coins were necessary to play.

#27599 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

As I recall, the coin slot lights were coded to work that way intentionally, to help signal whether coins were necessary to play.

I had thought that, but fumbled for awhile with it in the settings, changed some cable connects - then just went a direct route, as I couldn't get it to fire. Maybe it works for some machines, but couldn't break the code. Mine doesn't even have the coin mechs and was going to be Free Play only, so took the easy way....

#27600 3 years ago

I totally get the concept. Just doesn’t seem right to have the lights and not use them. All other games have the lights on when on free play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 552 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/552 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.