• 27,332 posts
  • 1,040 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by chrishoyle99
  • Topic is favorited by 276 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,468 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Alien-2pc-Ejects001 (resized).jpg
5CD8F574-64D1-424F-9964-A3D8C2C4A0C4 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20200807_194811413 (resized).jpg
DF272389-D54D-4094-9992-F8EA25FE9664 (resized).jpeg
F1EE8DB8-0DAF-4A96-93A2-C2C55E045BEF (resized).jpeg
25478564-A86F-40FF-B0B2-36B937DF6DDB (resized).jpeg
6FC76985-7811-4CC9-895A-C3F0F2094F98 (resized).jpeg
DDD0AD8C-A8DA-4BD0-9AF1-195C1D3C5A3B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200522_174432 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200807_105253 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200807_104733 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200807_105612 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200807_110704 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200807_105612 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200807_105253 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27332 posts in this topic. You are on page 541 of 547.
#27001 27 days ago

Has anyone successfully installed an led strip below cab for light? If so what did you use and how did you hook it up? I will like to have green under mine...

#27002 27 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Has anyone successfully installed an led strip below cab for light? If so what did you use and how did you hook it up? I will like to have green under mine...

$10 at Walmart. 50 inch television back lighting led strip with remote control. Runs off either USB or a plug which is how I chose to power mine.

D1810112-9E6D-4EB2-BE51-E9771C4D85F3 (resized).jpegF1956BB2-B309-41B9-88AD-8D69A7FC709E (resized).jpeg
#27003 27 days ago
Quoted from dpeck3:

$10 at Walmart. 50 inch television back lighting led strip with remote control. Runs off either USB or a plug which is how I chose to power mine.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Sweet thanks

#27004 27 days ago

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on what these extra parts are worth?

1) Lower PCB main board
2) Middle PCB main board
3) Upper PCB main board
4) Alien Motherboard Computer
5) Alien Hard drive
6) IO board
7) FULL set of replacement plastics PETG (Very Hard to find)
8) Power supply board
9) Audio Amplifier
10) 6 Coils
11) Bunch of LEDs and Proprietary switches
12) Trough Opto emitter boards
13) 3 Alien Pop sculp
14) 3 Alien Pop LEDs
15) Full Alien head with servos and tongue stepper board
16) Replacment Facehugger
17) 4 complete stand up targets and Bunch Stand up target LED's
18) Backup set of Cliffy Alien Scoop & magnet

#27005 27 days ago
Quoted from manadams:

1) Lower PCB main board
2) Middle PCB main board
3) Upper PCB main board
5) Alien Hard drive
6) IO board
8) Power supply board
9) Audio Amplifier
10) 6 Coils
13) 3 Alien Pop sculp
14) 3 Alien Pop LEDs

About $100? Haha seriously though pm me if you're selling the PCB boards and I will give you market. I know what I paid for them original cost too.

#27006 26 days ago

Erase version 1.3 from the USB Flashdrive and replace version 1.2 in the same way like you installed version 1.3.

#27007 26 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

Erase version 1.3 from the USB Flashdrive and replace version 1.2 in the same way like you installed version 1.3.

Thank you

#27008 26 days ago
Quoted from manadams:

1) Lower PCB main board
2) Middle PCB main board
3) Upper PCB main board
5) Alien Hard drive
6) IO board
8) Power supply board
9) Audio Amplifier
10) 6 Coils
13) 3 Alien Pop sculp
14) 3 Alien Pop LEDs

Im interested in your computer. Messaged you.

#27009 26 days ago
Quoted from manadams:

Ask for whatever you payed, that would be fair. I am sure all parts will be sold soon.

#27010 26 days ago

Over/ under is 4 weeks how long Delton keeps this one.. any takers!?

#27011 26 days ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I'll take that bet! 1k?

#27012 26 days ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Very tempting....

#27013 26 days ago
Quoted from dpeck3:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Usb to the computer in the cabinet ? Or power outlet plug that turns on separately when u turn machine on ?
Thanks

#27014 26 days ago

Btw did that flasher mod ever get released? The one that goes off when xeno eats ball? That looked great

#27015 26 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Btw did that flasher mod ever get released? The one that goes off when xeno eats ball? That looked great

Huh? You sold me your flasher kit lol.

#27016 26 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

That explains why he constantly sells his "grail" pin and is always all over the place. Not all there.....

#27017 26 days ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Ask for whatever you payed, that would be fair. I am sure all parts will be sold soon.

Not looking to sell the parts necessarily, just getting an idea of value because they're included in the game I'm buying.

#27018 26 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I was referring to MK6PIN’s mod.

Nethawk86 - you’re such a waste, not worth responding.

#27019 26 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Nethawk86 - you’re such a waste, not worth responding.

HAHHAHAHA, says the guy who luckily got a pin by jumping in last second over others who prepaid then spends over a year talking it up and rubbing it in faces of those that lost it all, then promptly flips it for cash, then buys another one later, does the same thing, and flips it for cash....and now is back again with ANOTHER pin...lol, waste...ok man..sure...

#27020 26 days ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

HAHHAHAHA, says the guy who luckily got a pin by jumping in last second over others who prepaid then spends over a year talking it up and rubbing it in faces of those that lost it all, then promptly flips it for cash, then buys another one later, does the same thing, and flips it for cash....and now is back again with ANOTHER pin...lol, waste...ok man..sure...

yep - like I said. you're a complete waste. Thanks for making my point! Paying cointaker is jumping in? Helping others all year is rubbing it in their face? haha.

Pity is all i can offer someone like you. You're embarrassing but I'm sure you're used to it by now.

#27021 26 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

yep - like I said. you're a complete waste. Thanks for making my point! Paying cointaker is jumping in? Helping others all year is rubbing it in their face? haha.
Pity is all i can offer someone like you. You're embarrassing but I'm sure you're used to it by now.

Yes, paying cointaker when others had paid cointaker as well and they werent offered a pin from them before you jumped in and got 1 after seeing what everyone was going through. You then posted constantly praising everything and rubbing it in faces, even after you were asked to stop by many others, you continued. Helping people all year!!! HAHAHAHAHHA, Dude your posts are all about you and your stuff lol. Its all constant "what do i do here?" "how does this go" "how can I falsify a standard edition by faking LE plaque numbers by making them and buying LE artwork to falsify a SE to an LE and then sell it as an LE?" lol. You have offered very very very little if anything to this game and your posts are all you asking questions and about your pin and what you did to it, and people helped you only for you to sell them off left and right...we all still have our pins and havent left and have been contributing while you've been flipping.

#27022 26 days ago

Getting so many pm's about parts I can't reply to them because I've reached my limit for the day that Pinside allows. Not looking to sell the parts with my inquiry about the value of them for now, just needed an idea in case I sell or trade the game and extra parts in the future.

#27023 26 days ago
Quoted from manadams:

Getting so many pm's about parts I can't reply to them because I've reached my limit for the day that Pinside allows. Not looking to sell the parts with my inquiry about the value of them for now, just needed an idea in case I sell or trade the game and extra parts in the future.

Keeps the parts and sell them with the game. Piece of mind will greatly help your resale value to most. These parts are hard to find which is why many are trying to hoard them to sell later.

#27024 26 days ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

Yes, paying cointaker when others had paid cointaker as well and they werent offered a pin from them before you jumped in and got 1 after seeing what everyone was going through. You then posted constantly praising everything and rubbing it in faces, even after you were asked to stop by many others, you continued. Helping people all year!!! HAHAHAHAHHA, Dude your posts are all about you and your stuff lol. Its all constant "what do i do here?" "how does this go" "how can I falsify a standard edition by faking LE plaque numbers by making them and buying LE artwork to falsify a SE to an LE and then sell it as an LE?" lol. You have offered very very very little if anything to this game and your posts are all you asking questions and about your pin and what you did to it, and people helped you only for you to sell them off left and right...we all still have our pins and havent left and have been contributing while you've been flipping.

Zzzzzzzz......Never sold as an LE.

I don't even know why I'm replying. Even speaking to you is beneath me. I know your jealous - I would be too if I were you, which sucks. I get it. Cheers.

#27025 25 days ago
Quoted from manadams:

1) Lower PCB main board
2) Middle PCB main board
3) Upper PCB main board
5) Alien Hard drive
6) IO board
8) Power supply board
9) Audio Amplifier
10) 6 Coils
13) 3 Alien Pop sculp
14) 3 Alien Pop LEDs

I'd say ball park of about $2000 to $2500.

#27026 25 days ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I'd say ball park of about $2000 to $2500.

Thank you for the estimate.

#27027 25 days ago
Quoted from manadams:

Thank you for the estimate.

Note, that estimate was for the original cost which may be different than their worth.

#27028 25 days ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Note, that estimate was for the original cost which may be different than their worth.

Gotcha

#27029 25 days ago
Quoted from dpeck3:

Anybody know where I can grab 4.5-6v power on fhe playfield to light them up?

Check my post here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/534#post-5669194

If you need 5V with higher current (or if you just want be on the save side) you should consider to install an additional small 5V (switching) power supply.

#27030 25 days ago
Quoted from manadams:

Congrats and welcome to Alienland!!

As with any club thread, you'll be able to decern pretty quick the valuable info vs. silliness contained here.

Alien has a long, and unpleasant history at certain points (stated as a week 1 adoptor). I distance myself from commenting on certain posters intents, opinions, or statements (though some are 100% spot on) as it doesn't help the community. If you've been in here long enough, you know exactly what is going on. You learn to bite your tongue and move on, as there are also some amazing people who have contributed in large part to keeping these games whole, original state, and living.

Keep your stash of parts - you may never need most of them, but they retain value for those that have different versions of the game. Highly recommend putting on the ENTIRE set of PETG plastics however...very important. If you ever decide to sell any parts, I'd suggest identifying Pinsiders that are truly vested in the game and plan on keeping it. You will still get top dollar, and not contribute to the growing culture of FS ads "works 100%", knowing full well it was cobbled from parts. Just my take.

Alien is a one of a kind, amazing game, that deserved a company to see it through. Didn't happen, but it got close enough that the final run of games were (are) mostly trouble free.

Enjoy!!!!....mark

#27031 25 days ago
Quoted from Per_:

Check my post here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/534#post-5669194
If you need 5V with higher current (or if you just want be on the save side) you should consider to install an additional small 5V (switching) power supply.

Couldn't agree more...the game is on the low side power wise to start. If you start plugging in random things into the USB for power, (expensive) things will fail.

#27032 25 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

My Xenon/ Xeno is still living on my bench as I want to incorporate 2 of the 4 tubes into a metal apron I've been working on (other 2 on the backboard). The effect is blinding (my intent).

Apron has turned out to be a PITA to get my machine shop to finish due to current state of the world (and they always run slow on my small, side projects).

If all goes well, it will be quite factory-like in nature, w the ability to knock you away from the machine on bourbon night....

#27033 25 days ago

MK6PIN Always the adult in the room............interesting finding by Per_ that his 70v switcher is only 7amps. 70-100 dollars for a higher amperage makes the capacitor setup high value.
I wonder if anyone on the other side of the pond is continuing to look into having IO boards made?.......ANYONE?.......Bueller?

Added 24 days ago:

My apologies, to razorsedge for the incorrect identification on the 70v finding. One thing I don't want to do is get is an Australian with that name mad at me, LOL.

#27034 25 days ago

I think the I/O boards are very complicated to copy. The original producer would be intresting, I bet he is on alibaba.com as most parts came from China.
So the task is to get plans from the boards or the producer !!

#27035 25 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

My Xenon/ Xeno is still living on my bench as I want to incorporate 2 of the 4 tubes into a metal apron I've been working on (other 2 on the backboard). The effect is blinding (my intent).
Apron has turned out to be a PITA to get my machine shop to finish due to current state of the world (and they always run slow on my small, side projects).
If all goes well, it will be quite factory-like in nature, w the ability to knock you away from the machine on bourbon night....

awesome. looking forward to both.

#27036 25 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Usb to the computer in the cabinet ? Or power outlet plug that turns on separately when u turn machine on ?
Thanks

You can power it with the USB on the computer but I’m just too protective of that computer so I’ve got it plugged into a USB adapter that plugs into the wall

#27037 25 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Congrats and welcome to Alienland!!
As with any club thread, you'll be able to decern pretty quick the valuable info vs. silliness contained here.
Alien has a long, and unpleasant history at certain points (stated as a week 1 adoptor). I distance myself from commenting on certain posters intents, opinions, or statements (though some are 100% spot on) as it doesn't help the community. If you've been in here long enough, you know exactly what is going on. You learn to bite your tongue and move on, as there are also some amazing people who have contributed in large part to keeping these games whole, original state, and living.
Keep your stash of parts - you may never need most of them, but they retain value for those that have different versions of the game. Highly recommend putting on the ENTIRE set of PETG plastics however...very important. If you ever decide to sell any parts, I'd suggest identifying Pinsiders that are truly vested in the game and plan on keeping it. You will still get top dollar, and not contribute to the growing culture of FS ads "works 100%", knowing full well it was cobbled from parts. Just my take.
Alien is a one of a kind, amazing game, that deserved a company to see it through. Didn't happen, but it got close enough that the final run of games were (are) mostly trouble free.
Enjoy!!!!....mark

Thanks for the wise advice, looking forward to getting and experiencing it!!!

#27038 24 days ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Contact faust as he has a great pcb mod for triggering these off switches etc
Not sure if they work on a 5v beacon so ask.

Correct, I have made a PCB that triggers on any of the playfield switch and switches power of choice.
There is 5V on the boards available (although very low power rating). About 10 pages back you can find a post of Per about it.

I will make a batch of these sometime soon... but well, busy with work and family.

#27039 24 days ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

MK6PIN Always the adult in the room............interesting finding by Per_ that his 70v switcher is only 7amps. 70-100 dollars for a higher amperage makes the capacitor setup high value.
I wonder if anyone on the other side of the pond is continuing to look into having IO boards made?.......ANYONE?.......Bueller?

Would be interested in buying some i/o boards if we ever get a group buy going.

#27040 24 days ago
Quoted from dung:

Would be interested in buying some i/o boards if we ever get a group buy going.

Where will you "group buy" ??
I think we are on a point were the dealers are out of stock / low stock and more pcb´s are in collectors hand.
Or you have the chines factory found ?

#27041 24 days ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Where will you "group buy" ??
I think we are on a point were the dealers are out of stock / low stock and more pcb´s are in collectors hand.
Or you have the chines factory found ?

Did you miss the *if*?

As for where, if someone figured out where the original manufacturer is and requires a minimum order, that would be something with a potential group buy,

#27042 24 days ago

I recently joined the Alien club, and so started looking for spare I/O boards as I've been told those are a weak link. I reached out to pretty much everyone who might be selling them asking about stock. Everyone was sold out, and the responses I got from people who would know seemed to indicate there aren't any more coming. At least that was the impression I got.

I did find 2 boards from someone who "had a few left". PM me if you really need one and want to know where I got them. Not trying to be a gatekeeper, I just don't want everyone flooding that person's inbox thanks to my post.

I'm certainly not an authority, but I was recently involved in a board production run and I learned a lot. Basically, due to setup, component procurement, yield and so on, you're going to need to hit a minimum order size for it to be financially feasible. Of course every project is different, but in our case that minimum was ~200 boards. Do you think you could sell 200 I/O boards? I honestly don't know.

I think to guarantee long term support for these games, the community will have to invest time in understanding and documenting the platform. That way, when things fail they at least have a chance of being repaired. There is already a lot of good troubleshooting info on Pinside today, but I haven't found much about the I/O boards. Has anyone spent time analyzing them? Did Heighway ever share *ANY* documentation?

Edit: someone has indeed done the righteous task of analyzing and sharing their findings. Thanks to Per_!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/18#post-4810082

#27043 23 days ago
Quoted from fuko:

I recently joined the Alien club, and so started looking for spare I/O boards as I've been told those are a weak link. I reached out to pretty much everyone who might be selling them asking about stock. Everyone was sold out, and the responses I got from people who would know seemed to indicate there aren't any more coming. At least that was the impression I got.
I did find 2 boards from someone who "had a few left". PM me if you really need one and want to know where I got them. Not trying to be a gatekeeper, I just don't want everyone flooding that person's inbox thanks to my post.
I'm certainly not an authority, but I was recently involved in a board production run and I learned a lot. Basically, due to setup, component procurement, yield and so on, you're going to need to hit a minimum order size for it to be financially feasible. Of course every project is different, but in our case that minimum was ~200 boards. Do you think you could sell 200 I/O boards? I honestly don't know.
I think to guarantee long term support for these games, the community will have to invest time in understanding and documenting the platform. That way, when things fail they at least have a chance of being repaired. There is already a lot of good troubleshooting info on Pinside today, but I haven't found much about the I/O boards. Has anyone spent time analyzing them? Did Heighway ever share *ANY* documentation?
Edit: someone has indeed done the righteous task of analyzing and sharing their findings. Thanks to Per_!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/18#post-4810082

Yeah, they were attempting to also "bullet proof" and upgrade the weak areas on the boards. But i understood the issue was property rights or such to get it replicated as you have to get permission from PB or whatnot, but since the liquidation that all went to crap. Id say 200 boards no prob, 500 would more than likely be a closer number,.

#27044 23 days ago

Yes, Per did a lot of very good investigation on this board.

Our experiences in the community so far:
Mostly the USB port will break on the pcb, second .. some driver melted. Both damages were reparable even it is SMD.

So at least ... is there realy really a need ? I dont think so.
I have 2 spares and this will be kept by the game. I know guys havin more spares , before re-doing this pcb I am sure they would be willing to sell a board.

#27045 23 days ago

I think there were several that took deep dives on the boards, and basic flowcharts, components, etc. were sorted. Even repaired a few. timebandit and kneissl were very strong, along w others.

Suspect any part could be reproduced...just comes down to $$$ ( as always).

With only around 200 total games built ( and vast majority were very early or mid stream runs), it's hard to imagine the ROI would be worth it to rerun.

I always had hoped for a rev'd transmission system using CAT6 w locking RJ45 connectors at some point. In truth though, once the USB cables are laced proper, they don't give much problems.

#27046 23 days ago
Quoted from Per_:

I really appreciate that. Thank you! Great photo and diagram. As far as those flashers go, do any of those come on with the beacons? Do you know? And are they going to be constant power or flashing power?

#27047 23 days ago
Quoted from dpeck3:

I really appreciate that. Thank you! Great photo and diagram. As far as those flashers go, do any of those come on with the beacons? Do you know? And are they going to be constant power or flashing power?

I would think most are just wiring the mini beacons to the same power control as the main beacons? (12v in parallel)... so that they operate together. There should be plenty of circuit capacity on the solenoid drive that controls the beacons for a couple of comparatively Very low power demand LED arrays (the mini beacons) to be safely connected.

#27048 23 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I think there were several that took deep dives on the boards, and basic flowcharts, components, etc. were sorted. Even repaired a few. timebandit and kneissl were very strong, along w others.
Suspect any part could be reproduced...just comes down to $$$ ( as always).
With only around 200 total games built ( and vast majority were very early or mid stream runs), it's hard to imagine the ROI would be worth it to rerun.
I always had hoped for a rev'd transmission system using CAT6 w locking RJ45 connectors at some point. In truth though, once the USB cables are laced proper, they don't give much problems.

This is what gives me pause right now, no extra pcbs and i/o boards.

#27049 23 days ago

Haven’t seem any response to my previous questions, so I repeat it. Anyone?

Quoted from Maurice:

I pulled the 6V regular light bulbs from the extra ball, start and launch button at the cabinet front. They become too hot. I tried 6V and 12V leds but these all melted immediately or were toasted directly. Any suggestions? Should I use regular 12v small light bulbs?

#27050 23 days ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Yes, Per did a lot of very good investigation on this board.

If you are interested, here is my post TomDK is referring to:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/501#post-5131536

In fact, it would not be very complicated to design a new I/O Board with the same functionality but a simplified design. The problem is the code of the microcontroller. To my knowledge it can not be read out and the sources are not available / property of PB (I already asked ). It might be possible to capture and analyze the USB communication and develop new code.

Finally all the necessary work makes only sense if there is enough demand (and order numbers). And as TomDK said, almost every Alien owner has some spare I/O boards and about 75% can be repaired after a failure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mt Vernon, WA
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
There are 27332 posts in this topic. You are on page 541 of 547.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside