pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 525 of 601.
#26201 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html
You can maybe ball park your way to a good replacement with this or something similar, check resistance and maybe the # of windings can be found for the Heighway coil? I forget if they were labeled.

Well, interestingly, I did a swap out for the newest I/O board that I received recently and did some test plays with the glass off...and, wouldn't you know it...not perfect, but much better performance to that right upper flipper. Made it up the ramp 30% of the time (which beats <5% of the time)... temperamental I/O boards I tell ya...but a definite difference.

Thanks for your comment to the flipper coils, I will look into that.
That said, it would be nice to see what folks are exchanging their CO10 flipper coils for when replacement is needed since it seems those could are no longer obtainable.

#26202 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html
You can maybe ball park your way to a good replacement with this or something similar, check resistance and maybe the # of windings can be found for the Heighway coil? I forget if they were labeled.

Btw, that is a seriously awesome flipper coil chart!!! Thank you for posting that!

#26203 4 years ago

Jeez i don’t remember weakness with the upper flipper power, to the point of not making the .. even before the cap mod. Not sure how familiar you are with the io board repair. I’d check out the voltage regulator on the weak one. My memory is fading on it all.. no schematics makes it a little more interesting. There’s probably a couple owners who are up to speed with those pesky io boards.

#26204 4 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Btw, that is a seriously awesome flipper coil chart!!! Thank you for posting that!

You could maybe try a WMS FL 11629 coil. These are the hella powerful blue ones and it's a dual-wound with three lugs and and two diodes like the one in your pic.

#26205 4 years ago

Thanks Kneissl and thanks Manic

I do think there may have been something not quite right with the original I/O board replacement, as this newest one I just popped in does seem to carry a bit more power...
That said, I'll also probably try that WMS coil as well to see if there's a notable difference and report back. If it works well, then maybe that might be a replacement that could work for others should the need arises to replace any failed Heighway CO10 flipper coils.

Thanks again for your time and comments!!!

#26206 4 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Jeez i don’t remember weakness with the upper flipper power, to the point of not making the .. even before the cap mod. Not sure how familiar you are with the io board repair. I’d check out the voltage regulator on the weak one. My memory is fading on it all.. no schematics makes it a little more interesting. There’s probably a couple owners who are up to speed with those pesky io boards.

Great to see you back in the thread a bit Kneissl !! I'll PM to catchup soon....

Haven't popped the top on mine or dug deep this weekend (grand-daughters b-day party takes precedence, lol)

The thread is huge, but a wealth of knowledge "post demise" to be found.... definitely worth scanning through. Mine plays so well now, I don't pay it much mind, except enjoying the thrill.....

Moral - It's a good idea to get up to speed as to what rev of the game you actually have, known issues, etc., as there are so few here stateside of the final run, and the price seems to stay pretty high when changing hands (i.e. JJP POTC - vast majority had major pf, other issues when shipped new, production stopped, price went up, and yet to see one that is advertised showing anything but "perfect" condition ).

#26207 4 years ago

Ehm.., Can someone explain me what the big fat capacitors are for and where to get them?

Maybe related:
I have this issue with my Alien where it will not power on in about 2 out of 5 times I power it on.
It will give a brief peak in power, and then the 12V psu turns off (no light). I switch it on and off a few times and then it works.

I think it may draw too much start up current, but if that is so then others must also have this issue.

I was thinking of putting in a larger PSU.
Any thoughts?

#26208 4 years ago

A larger PSU or going back to good old transformer might be a good option.
Here's the CAP info:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/15#post-4593866

#26209 4 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Ehm.., Can someone explain me what the big fat capacitors are for and where to get them?
Maybe related:
I have this issue with my Alien where it will not power on in about 2 out of 5 times I power it on.
It will give a brief peak in power, and then the 12V psu turns off (no light). I switch it on and off a few times and then it works.
I think it may draw too much start up current, but if that is so then others must also have this issue.
I was thinking of putting in a larger PSU.
Any thoughts?

Caps are for the 70v supply. The 12v beneath it will cause the resets, etc. as there is tons of stuff (including CPU) that are driven w it (all LEDs, screens, etc.). Depending on what has been added to your game (specifically LED strings) the ps could be outmatched or faulty. Even the last run of games had a pitiful 12v supply. Changing that to an industrial-grade unit w adequate headroom cured my resets permanently.

edit - dug through the thread a bit (very painful at times)....this one ends the PS issues on both ends:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/486#post-4948076

pic of capacitor placement was in Kneissl game...I mounted mine to cab next to P/S.

#26210 4 years ago

Another valuable photo....if born prior, not the final run, if after, chances are good the latest rev of stuff in there. Was it built as an LE or not?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/481#post-4921845

and a cool button mod predicating final metal apron layout:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/475#post-4773508

#26211 4 years ago

Just completed the Self Destruct mode and OMG is that mode awesome!!!! I hadn't completed it before, and had no idea it had a second half to the mode where you blast that hitch-hiking alien into space then do a victory lap across all shots for extra points....so cool!!

#26212 4 years ago

I saw a recent post about a hypersleep chamber. I starting working on this Mod about a month ago with zero knowledge that someone else was. I plan to have interactive lights and a motorized hatch like the pirates chest. More updates to come. Quite ironic that someone else had a similar idea... Mine is quite different as you can see. I do plan on selling them. Like a motorized and non motorized version. Wasn’t trying to “steal anyone’s thunder” the mod is currently still in development stage but the final product will be hand painted. You can also see the ball travel in and out of the lock assembly. It’s see through.
09E35826-3624-49C5-8D8C-D864D53D27E4 (resized).jpeg09E35826-3624-49C5-8D8C-D864D53D27E4 (resized).jpeg

#26213 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

I saw a recent post about a hypersleep chamber. I starting working on this Mod about a month ago with zero knowledge that someone else was. I plan to have interactive lights and a motorized hatch like the pirates chest. More updates to come. Quite ironic that someone else had a similar idea... Mine is quite different as you can see. I do plan on selling them. Like a motorized and non motorized version. Wasn’t trying to “steal anyone’s thunder” the mod is currently still in development stage but the final product will be hand painted. You can also see the ball enter and exit the chamber as it’s see through in that area. [quoted image]

#26214 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Will the new Alien be at the Texas show

Supposedly

Lots of people on here keep saying it’s not being remade. We will see who’s right very soon. I think the minority are going to be right on this one.

#26215 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrocks:

Supposedly
Lots of people on here keep saying it’s not being remade. We will see who’s right very soon. I think the minority are going to be right on this one.

Seems alot of these people are referring to a Heighway Alien not being remade, emphatically... which is probably a fair call. It is possible they are mostly owners and want to see the game they own continue to be rare, among numerous other possible reasons. It is a good game to play when it is working, so makes sense to continue production. May not be possible though.

A well manufactured and designed (ground up) Aliens would sell like hotcakes, if the price is right.

If it turns out to be the upcoming CGC/Spooky/Heck title, then it won't be seen at TPF. Later in the year possibly, or 2021.

Seems to me the only scenario where "Aliens" could be at TPF is if Deeproot has been working on something with Pinball Brothers... (or on their own)

Even if the codename for AP Aliens is "Hot Wheels" Lol ... AP surely doesn't have it ready for TPF with what they are up to atm. It would be the kind of thing they need, but doesn't seem they'd be in a position to bring it just right now..... ?

#26216 4 years ago

It's recommended to reduce the coil power everywhere possible.
It's not necessary to operate with 100 % or higher!
Another issue is the harness and mainboard connection, the entire wiring is too thin and that's the reason why the machine will reset and get in trouble by Ambush Multiball... a power loss occurs the longer a game will be played due to increasing resistance in the wiring and the coils!

#26217 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballrocks:

Supposedly

I'm with you... I have heard rumors from 'very reliable' sources. And this remake will sell easily, even for 8-10K price tags.
Nobody will officially announce it before it's really there due to the past problems, so just wait.
I think the original Heighway will still keep some value, but will drop to 6-7K resell values when a remake is there.
I don't care, I bought it because its a fun project.

#26218 4 years ago

There's no remake!

#26219 4 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

I'm with you... I have heard rumors from 'very reliable' sources. And this remake will sell easily, even for 8-10K price tags.
Nobody will officially announce it before it's really there due to the past problems, so just wait.
I think the original Heighway will still keep some value, but will drop to 6-7K resell values when a remake is there.
I don't care, I bought it because its a fun project.

I don't think so:
1) there will be no remake
2) Did the original MM / AFM / MB dropped after the remake came out? I guess not

#26220 4 years ago

Aren’t the rumours that a new/remake of Alien is a narrow body? If that is in fact true then it isn’t a remake it’s just another aliens pin.

Regardless if a new alien is coming, why does it matter? When it comes to remakes/re-releases there is no game with more demand/talk than TRON.

As a TRON LE owner I don’t care if Stern vault/re-release it, I have mine and love it, if they vault it then it just means more people get to own a pin they want, I already have mine that I’m happy with.

More Alien pins would be fantastic it’s such an amazing theme why not have 2 alien pins!? If it is true and whoever is making it, I’ll take a predator and another terminator pin while your at it!

#26221 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Aren’t the rumours that a new/remake of Alien is a narrow body? If that is in fact true then it isn’t a remake it’s just another aliens pin.
Regardless if a new alien is coming, why does it matter? When it comes to remakes/re-releases there is no game with more demand/talk than TRON, as a TRON LE owner I don’t care if Stern vault/re-release it, I have mine and I love it, if they vault then it just means more people get to own a pin they want, I already have mine that I’m happy with.
More Alien pins would be fantastic it’s such an amazing theme why not have 2 alien pins, if it is true and whoever is making it, I’ll take a predator and another terminator pin while your at it!

The rumor has been out there for some time..wide body in williams cab w artwork ( which would be cool).

Many trusted sources have conveyed this will happen (was supposed to already), but Im not sure.

More Alien machines is nothing but good news...such a great game ( Id probably buy that one, too).

( I have a TRONLE as well, lol..and am completely fine if they made a vault of it..why would I care? Doubt they will in that case though)

#26222 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The rumor has been out there for some time..wide body in williams cab w artwork ( which would be cool).
Many trusted sources have conveyed this will happen (was supposed to already), but Im not sure.
More Alien machines is nothing but good news...such a great game ( Id probably buy that one, too)

Cool, I’d heard standard body and that a whitewood was out there but that was over a year ago now.

A remake of Alien is a win win for everyone especially if it’s the same layout/mechs etc, it gives those who want one the chance to get one and it offers current owners a new supply of replacement parts.

Above all else I’d just love to see a mass produced Alien pin followed up with Predator and a new Terminator - the action movie pin holy trinity.

#26223 4 years ago

No remake, no other ALIEN, nothing!

#26224 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

This rumor has at least one year old now and last year it was about to be revealed with bets and so on... One year after nothing.
A rumor is a rumor. Since that the same information spread forever with the cabinet, no picture, no clue from actors, nothing... let's see in 2 weeks at TPF.
Who's profiting of this rumor might be the question.

I've read from someone closed from CGC and had infos who said it will NEVER happen with them. It could be false maybe...
It's really possible it has been discussed at some point but with who ? when? produced from where?

Again, let's see at TPF. We can also speculate that it will be release next year because not ready... or in 2 years or 3.... but this doesn't change the fact that there is nothing solid and it's just talk.

If it's redone: cool for new buyers though.

#26225 4 years ago

when is the next big show coming up where all companies are going to announce something...hopefully?

#26226 4 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

I don't think so:
1) there will be no remake
2) Did the original MM / AFM / MB dropped after the remake came out? I guess not

Well, yes those prices dropped,especially MB. I had a perfect original one, and 2-3 years ago before remakes were announced a great high-end restored would go for 8-9K and up (same with AFM).
Now you can't sell these restored anymore for these prices, because you can have a brand new and more pimped out version NIB for this money.

Then who is benefiting from the rumors if they are false: Only thing I can imagine are people that want this pin and hoping that people start selling them, fearing a remake will come out soon and make their pin worth less.

But the rumors are coming from different sources and keep coming back.... I don't know...
Indeed it would be good to have it made again; there is enough demand for it. And the current platform will work fine, once they resolve all the small issues.

#26227 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

This rumor has at least one year old now and last year it was about to be revealed with bets and so on... One year after nothing.
A rumor is a rumor. Since that the same information spread forever with the cabinet, no picture, no clue from actors, nothing... let's see in 2 weeks at TPF.
Who's profiting of this rumor might be the question.
I've read from someone closed from CGC and had infos who said it will NEVER happen with them. It could be false maybe...
It's really possible it has been discussed at some point but with who ? when? produced from where?
Again, let's see at TPF. We can also speculate that it will be release next year because not ready... or in 2 years or 3.... but this doesn't change the fact that there is nothing solid and it's just talk.
If it's redone: cool for new buyers though.

LTG had posted that CGC won't be doing it. I believe him.
I'm also aware of a game w said config that lives in some fashion, wide body cabinet, proper power supply (imagine?), etc. Has a real manufacturer (I'm not counting Pinball Brothers) picked it up? Have no idea.
It would be awesome if this game did get released by a manufacturer that could build and support them.
Certainly, there has been time pass (over a year), since the speculation started, but that pales to the 4 year journey that some of us went through (paying along the way) to get what we have now (some got nothing but stiffed).
Personally, I have doubts, but as stated before, it would be great to see. Some are convinced and know more than I about it.

I wish a legit Predator would be made at some point to compliment the game, but just a wish on my part.

#26228 4 years ago

I asked Mark Ritchie some weeks ago regarding rumors about his involvement for a new ALIEN with CGC and he replies that is all not true.

#26229 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

I asked Mark Ritchie some weeks ago regarding rumors about his involvement for a new ALIEN with CGC and he replies that is all not true.

As stated, Lloyd confirmed that one some time back.....I think AP or Deeproot would be the only candidates, and certainly no clue there....

#26230 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

I saw a recent post about a hypersleep chamber. I starting working on this Mod about a month ago with zero knowledge that someone else was. I plan to have interactive lights and a motorized hatch like the pirates chest. More updates to come. Quite ironic that someone else had a similar idea... Mine is quite different as you can see. I do plan on selling them. Like a motorized and non motorized version. Wasn’t trying to “steal anyone’s thunder” the mod is currently still in development stage but the final product will be hand painted. You can also see the ball travel in and out of the lock assembly. It’s see through.
[quoted image]

I think this is a great design. The plastic under it that does not align fully, you can easily move a bit to the left and drill new holes, or leave it fully off. It doesnt fit anyway.
I'm in for one.

#26231 4 years ago

Hello Everybody

some I/O board are available on Free Play Web site

#26232 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

[quoted image]

Count me in on this...looks great!!

#26233 4 years ago

Question: Who has a ball through assy spare that they want to sell me.
Mine has some issues (mechanical) and I want to replace it.
I've seen some owners that had this as spare...

PM me if someone has one.

#26234 4 years ago

What's wrong with it that cannot be fixed?
The ball issue for instance can be fixed by bending the flap.

#26235 4 years ago

There are some rivets in there with thread. one is completely broken off and 1 other sticks out and can block the ball.
See picture.
It can probably be fixed with some effort but I don't have the tools for it, so I rather buy a full replacement assy (I did the same with the xenomorph head).
208560CF-85E1-448D-B04F-A6C1E783CB1B (resized).jpeg208560CF-85E1-448D-B04F-A6C1E783CB1B (resized).jpeg

#26236 4 years ago

Ah come on, that's not a real problem - you can fix and improve that.
The main problem of these rivets are the very bad threads, once crooked, they're gonna break.
This affects almost all posts and hex-posts.
Go to your local workshop to weld the rivets by laser and renew the threads.

#26237 4 years ago

So now that I know I have good power supply as it appears I have @Kneissl's capacitor mod already installed, any ideas on how I can improve my Airlock scoop??
Again, as soon as more than 1 ball gets in there at one time (during mb), there's a 85%+ chance neither of them are coming out...and then after it stops trying on ball search, I have to magnet them out.

I've tried increasing the scoop coil power incrementally, but similar results.
Has anyone installed a different scoop altogether? Has anyone tried a different coil?
Could it be that the balls are not lined up well in there (i.e. staggered) and that's the issue? I know some have added an insert, but it's not clear to me...
Any suggestions??
Thanks!!

#26238 4 years ago

I have a plastic insert in my scoop. How is yours

#26239 4 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

So now that I know I have good power supply as it appears I have Kneissl's capacitor mod already installed, any ideas on how I can improve my Airlock scoop??
Again, as soon as more than 1 ball gets in there at one time (during mb), there's a 85%+ chance neither of them are coming out...and then after it stops trying on ball search, I have to magnet them out.
Has anyone installed a different scoop altogether? Has anyone tried a different coil?
Could it be that the balls are not lined up well in there (i.e. staggered) and that's the issue? I know some have added an insert, but it's not clear to me...
Any suggestions??
Thanks!!

Kind of wonder if the coil sleeve might be worn/ binding? That would be an inexpensive place to start. I don't have an insert in mine, but it's a different rev than yours (believing it was Kneissl machine).

Then on to the scoop itself (broken welds, etc.) and coil. If all good, I'd swap the related I/O board w another in the game, just to see if it changes anything...all I can think of....

#26240 4 years ago

Thanks for these suggestions, I will definitely check into these things. Good thoughts. And I have a spare I/O board, so I can test that as well.

No insert in mine, best I know of. But I've heard of this insert and if everything else checks out ok, I'd love to know how to add that and just what that insert is to try that possible solution.
Thank you again for the suggestions.

#26241 4 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Thanks for these suggestions, I will definitely check into these things. Good thoughts. And I have a spare I/O board, so I can test that as well.
No insert in mine, best I know of. But I've heard of this insert and if everything else checks out ok, I'd love to know how to add that and just what that insert is to try that possible solution.
Thank you again for the suggestions.

The I/O boards are definitely a pita, especially the early ones (which yours may have a mix). They do weird things you wouldn't think possible. Be super careful w the pins, and of course our lovely USB mini connection point.

I don't know what the insert does, as I don't have one, but the balls fire out just fine, even if stacked. Building up a nice stash of boards, facehuggers, leds, etc. (even a spare CPU w proper card) gives me peace of mind.

So many plays on this game and still blows me away....I have all my lineup....then Alien...it's that good, imho...

Happy hunting the bugs!!!

#26242 4 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

So now that I know I have good power supply as it appears I have Kneissl's capacitor mod already installed, any ideas on how I can improve my Airlock scoop??
Any suggestions??
Thanks!!

I'm sorry if I missed it, but what is happening when trying to kick out a ball when there are multiple in there?

My scoop, didn't eject well when I first got it. I played around with settings and stuff and the thing that helped mine was to bend the top curved part up a bit. Then the balls, mostly, eject fine; I get a couple of hick-up occasionally still.

For reference mine doesn't have the plastic part in it.

#26243 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Why are you saying this? Because you know, or because you dont want it remade?

#26244 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Why are you saying this? Because you know, or because you dont want it remade?

The man knows.

#26245 4 years ago
#26246 4 years ago

No one man knows everything, though.

#26247 4 years ago
Quoted from cactusxav:

Hello Everybody
some I/O board are available on Free Play Web site

I just checked the Free Play web site they don't have any available. Pinball Life still has availability on their site. They had been out of stock for a while but there were some available yesterday when I checked. I ordered 2 of them last night.

The IO Boards seem to be a little harder to come by these days and thus my reason for buying 2 boards.

QSS

Alien = Moneypit, but it's worth it.

#26248 4 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Any suggestions regarding replacement alternatives to this right upper flipper coil?? If the Heighway CO10 coils are not available anymore, does anyone think the high power CO20 would be an ok alternative? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be a better alternative coil to what I have in there now?? Id really love to resolve these two issues....
Thank you all.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did you check PinballLife?

They have two listed a low power and this high power one:
https://www.pinballlife.com/alien-high-power-coil.html

#26249 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I'm sorry if I missed it, but what is happening when trying to kick out a ball when there are multiple in there?
My scope, didn't eject well when I first got it. I played around with settings and stuff and the thing that helped mine was to bend the top curved part up a but and then the ball , mostly, eject fine. I get a couple of hick-up occasionally still.
For reference mine doesn't have the plastic part in it.

The balls in the scoop, when the coil fires, make it almost to the top (before they would curve around to fire out)... I can just about see the top ball when it happens, but it just doesn't make it out. I too have called it "ball hiccups" when the coil keeps trying to fire to get them out to no avail...single ball in the scoop, never a problem.
I have a spare I/O board and coil with coil sleeve and I'm going to try and exchange these items at this location at the next opportunity in hopes of better performance per @MK6PIN's suggestion.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding bending the top of the scoop back, I though I recalled someone saying that in the past.
What did you use to bend the top curved part up a bit? Would you be willing to show/post a picture.

(Pinball Life and FreePlay low and high power coils are the smaller coils...it's turning out that no one at the current time has the larger CO10 flipper coils available, which is a bummer)

Thanks again everyone.

#26250 4 years ago

I just used some regular pliers and I had some rubber (like garden hose type rubber) acting to protect the metal.

Here are a couple of pics, not sure how helpful they will be, but..

IMG_1303 (resized).JPGIMG_1303 (resized).JPGIMG_1306 (resized).JPGIMG_1306 (resized).JPGIMG_E1304 (resized).JPGIMG_E1304 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 525 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/525?hl=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.