• 25,767 posts
  • 1,010 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by Averell
  • Topic is favorited by 274 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,047 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN7289 (resized).JPG
DSCN7288 (resized).JPG
E9A3F438-43B6-4EE9-B7B9-059640E61E98 (resized).jpeg
E1261283-0CCC-4A02-A73D-6474FCAEB78F (resized).jpeg
oprah alien give a way (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs 5 (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs 4 (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs 3 (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs 2 (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs (resized).jpg
yx2dpyyljmoowqz60q9i (resized).jpg
Connector (resized).JPG
c679a9e13b3dcfe925b2b43c9193f017ecf95e86 (resized).jpg
4150658_0 (resized).jpg
C97DC8BA-5D2E-4817-AB8C-373D505C5068 (resized).jpeg
69E61571-288B-4C4C-96C4-827E5EAE1266 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 25767 posts in this topic. You are on page 514 of 516.
#25651 18 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Keeping my Green le but getting another one for different location
“Shut it” Dung? I don’t give a flying F what you think. The evidence will be the game and then you can stfu.
Omg people need to stop talking about TBL Dunger, oh yeah nvm, that happened before this didn’t it

Alien is awesome, can't wait to go home and play it.

#25652 18 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Keeping my Green le but getting another one for different location
“Shut it” Dung? I don’t give a flying F what you think. The evidence will be the game and then you can stfu.
Omg people need to stop talking about TBL Dunger, oh yeah nvm, that happened before this didn’t it

The game that has been just around the corner for months on end? So confident you just bought one? Makes total sense when the new one would have been cheaper.

Start drinking your own Kool aid. Till then keep on topic or start your own thread.

#25653 18 days ago
Quoted from dung:

The game that has been just around the corner for months on end? So confident you just bought one? Makes total sense when the new one would have been cheaper.
Start drinking your own Kool aid. Till then keep on topic or start your own thread.

Alien is a very good game . One of the best

#25654 18 days ago

Got very regularly the error “1 IO board missing”. Usually during the first or 2nd game already. Replaced all 4 USB cables for shielded with ferriet and gold contacts. Message and errors in gameplay came back just after 6 games played.
When the IO board Goes missing the airlock scoop coil doesn’t fire. Also other switches and popbumper coils are dead.
I switch the game off and back on: everything ok. But the problem always returns.
Any advice what to do/check next?
Do I have a bad IO board? And if so: which one?

2nd problem (haven’t read any Solution here yet); right beacon is on, but doesn’t spin. Left is ok. What can I do about This?

#25655 18 days ago
Quoted from dung:

I bought mine a year ago from Australia. Obviously i didn't know then, DUH

It's on topic Dunger. It's called ALIEN PINBALL! LOL

Some people that bought one or want one might want a little info.

Now, put your $$$ where your big mouth is. Let's put up a little wager? No F ing chance you'd do it because you don't know shit or "DUNG" for that matter

#25656 18 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I bought mine a year ago from Australia. Obviously i didn't know then, DUH
It's on topic Dunger. It's called ALIEN PINBALL! LOL
Some people that bought one or want one might want a little info.
Now, put your $$$ where your big mouth is. Let's put up a little wager? No F ing chance you'd do it because you don't know shit or "DUNG" for that matter

Okay, if you're willing to make a bet, specifically when will the remake be available?

If you can't provide an actual date, then you will never lose the bet.

#25657 18 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

Okay, if you're willing to make a bet, specifically when will the remake be available?

Oh i'll make a date on announcement. I'll take bets on before year end.

You have two options, 1) Drinks at TPF or 2) $1k minimum bet

#25658 18 days ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Got very regularly the error “1 IO board missing”. Usually during the first or 2nd game already. Replaced all 4 USB cables for shielded with ferriet and gold contacts. Message and errors in gameplay came back just after 6 games played.
When the IO board Goes missing the airlock scoop coil doesn’t fire. Also other switches and popbumper coils are dead.
I switch the game off and back on: everything ok. But the problem always returns.
2nd problem (haven’t read any Solution here yet); right beacon is on, but doesn’t spin. Left is ok. What can I do about This?

You have a usb connexion plug loose probably when you lift down your playfield. Just find a way to tighten your plug to not move with the board: it should fix everything. I have stand up with zip ties for the usb cable: never have any issues for months.

#25659 18 days ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Proper strain relief is just as important as good cables. The USB end doesn't have a mechanical lock, so chances are high yours aren't seating correctly. Get the wire ties out, and make sure the cable "naturally" pushes into the connector.

Beacons don't operate independently, so guessing the bad one needs to be taken apart to verify motor wiring is proper...I've never taken one apart...

#25660 18 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

Thing is he wont put a date on it. Its gotta br somrwhat nebulous so he can wiggle out. Anyone want to dig up the kaneda thread?

Anyone got a drink around here? Too bored with this inane bs to deal with reading anymore of it sober.

#25661 18 days ago
Quoted from dung:

Thing is he wont put a date on it. Its gotta br somrwhat nebulous so he can wiggle out. Anyone want to dig up the kaneda thread?
Anyone got a drink around here? Too bored with this inane bs to deal with reading anymore of it sober.

Dig it up Dungy. Have a drink and then think about TBL in that same thread.

Read my post above. What is it about Dec 31 that you don’t get?

That’s ok buddy, save your money and have a few a drinks instead. But...I’ll take it if you’d like

Look, it ain’t gonna be cheap, but for those that wanted an Alien pin it’s gonna be fantastic because it’s a great pinball machine

#25662 18 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Dig it up Dungy. Have a drink and then think about TBL in that same thread.

Ok, I’m just curious. Exactly who is going to remake this pin? All I’ve heard is difficult hurdles to overcome for this to happen.

#25663 18 days ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Ok, I’m just curious. Exactly who is going to remake this pin? All I’ve heard is difficult hurdles to overcome for this to happen.

Are you familiar with Pinball Brothers?

Making pinball is not easy apparently

#25664 17 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Are you familiar with Pinball Brothers?
Making pinball is not easy apparently

Apparently.

#25665 17 days ago

Alien is awesome. !

#25666 17 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Proper strain relief is just as important as good cables. The USB end doesn't have a mechanical lock, so chances are high yours aren't seating correctly. Get the wire ties out, and make sure the cable "naturally" pushes into the connector.

Learned this the hard way on my Hobbit, was making an adjustment to a small LED board when suddenly all my lights froze, figured a reboot would fix it, but now all the lights were gone, I freaked out a little thought I might have really blown something major!! After an hour of so of manual searching found a small board underneath with a mini USB cable that had somehow popped out, problem solved, but going to do the slack adjustment to make sure it doesn't happen again!!

#25667 17 days ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Learned this the hard way on my Hobbit, was making an adjustment to a small LED board when suddenly all my lights froze, figured a reboot would fix it, but now all the lights were gone, I freaked out a little thought I might have really blown something major!! After an hour of so of manual searching found a small board underneath with a mini USB cable that had somehow popped out, problem solved, but going to do the slack adjustment to make sure it doesn't happen again!!

USB is such a poor transmission method for a pinball machine ( that vibrates quite a bit).

Had to be a non pinball person that made that choice, as using cat6 along w locking RJ45 connectors would have bulletproofed the topology, and probably even cost less.

Always been a head scratcher to me on this game

#25668 17 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

USB is such a poor transmission method for a pinball machine ( that vibrates quite a bit).
Had to be a non pinball person that made that choice, as using cat6 along w locking RJ45 connectors would have bulletproofed the topology, and probably even cost less.
Always been a head scratcher to me on this game

Please follow Averells "find outs" on Alien.
He finds on this machine every morning a headscratcher.
So far he nearly rebuilds the whole machine with replacements and in better quality.

Mine just plays fine so far , but I will fix if needet.

#25669 17 days ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Please follow Averells "find outs" on Alien.
He finds on this machine every morning a headscratcher.
So far he nearly rebuilds the whole machine with replacements and in better quality.
Mine just plays fine so far , but I will fix if needet.

Agreed, as have my own lengthy thread (internal schematics, pics., performance enhancements, fixes, etc.) going through the machine since ownership.....

Mine is quite solid now, but some of the decisions (those return ramps) that were overdone, while simple connectivity was ignored can be baffling.

#25670 17 days ago

Re-adjusted the USB on the back of the pf. All ok for now. Took off the flasher dome and reassembeld the gears. It rotates again.

Happy Alien owner!!!!

#25671 17 days ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Re-adjusted the USB on the back of the pf. All ok for now. Took off the flasher dome and reassembeld the gears. It rotates again.
Happy Alien owner!!!!

Bam!!!

#25672 16 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I read it.

You still don't give a date when the remake will be made.

#25673 15 days ago

Anyone have an idea of when more PETG sets will become available? My upgrade is almost complete and I would love to replace all of this acrylic.

Take care!

#25674 14 days ago

Just one week later the damaged IO-Board was repaired by Mr. Huber (Flipperwerk) and the connection was soldered better as it was done by the factory.
Next I will check the other three boards as well and improve if necessary.

DSCN7238 (resized).JPG

DSCN7239 (resized).JPG

#25675 14 days ago

Did mister Huber also replace the USB holder/connector on the IO-board with a type that connects better then the original one?
I consider this upgrade/repair too since especially the connector on IO-board 1 is due to fail. On my Alien this connector seems to have to much “space” between the cable head and the connector.

Averell: Can you send me more info on mr. Huber?

#25676 14 days ago
Quoted from waywinn:

Anyone have an idea of when more PETG sets will become available? My upgrade is almost complete and I would love to replace all of this acrylic.
Take care!

I agree with waywinn, this would be a great upgrade to my Alien LE . Count me in for 1 x PETG set ..... is anyone able to make a limited number of sets?

#25677 14 days ago

hows the xeno flasher mod going? That looks the coolest to me...

#25678 14 days ago

maurice

the connector itself is not the problem, if you want to ensure there's no interference with the data transmission you have to lay the USB-cable as far away from the coils as possible.

#25679 14 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

maurice
the connector itself is not the problem, if you want to ensure there's no interference with the data transmission you have to lay the USB-cable as far away from the coils as possible.

Not quite with you on this one...the connector CAN be the problem (as you experienced w poor solder joints), as well as the nature of the connector not having a physical lock. They do get loose, causing the boards to malfunction. Proper wireway must also be considered, but if you don't address strain relief physically w the connectors, the best solder job still won't hold up.

#25680 14 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

hows the xeno flasher mod going? That looks the coolest to me...

Mines still on the bench....everything works, just haven't found a plastic guard for the bulbs that I'm happy with yet. Ordered some stuff from an RC helicopter place, hoping they fit.

Also have a very efficient thermal management system drawn out, allowing the inside temp to drop almost 10 degrees @ the CPU. This will also be very affordable and will post pics and parts when I deploy (no cutting of the cab). Serious air wall in the back .....

#25681 14 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

I read it.
You still don't give a date when the remake will be made.

I'm not the one making it and i really don't give a F when its delivered.

But hey, read my post above

#25682 14 days ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm not the one making it and i really don't give a F when its delivered.
But hey, read my post above

Got it.

You will make a bet that they will be remade, but you don't know when they will be remade because you don't give a F when they will be delivered because you're not the one making it.

And you want to lock in the bet by 12/31 without first stating a date by which they will be remade which is the whole point of making the bet.

#25683 13 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

Got it.
You will make a bet that they will be remade, but you don't know when they will be remade because you don't give a F when they will be delivered because you're not the one making it.
And you want to lock in the bet by 12/31 without first stating a date by which they will be remade which is the whole point of making the bet.

What!!?? I think that Iceman is betting that the games will be made by 12/31/2019. It seems pretty simple to me. The over under date he proposes is December 31st, 2019 to see this game remade. This isn't that hard. Put your money where your mouth is.
Place your bets. Jeeze..... why is this such a big deal?
QSS

#25684 13 days ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelb:

What!!?? I think that Iceman is betting that the games will be made by 12/31/2019. It seems pretty simple to me. The over under date he proposes is December 31st, 2019 to see this game remade. This isn't that hard. Put your money where your mouth is.
Place your bets. Jeeze..... why is this such a big deal?
QSS

No he said there will be an "announcement" by that date. Not machines being shipped,etc... Heck he could win the bet and we still may not see any actual product for years. I hope he's right though

#25685 13 days ago

A version of Alien will be made by pinball brothers, and likely CGC will be involved. It won’t be a remake though, it will be a totally new design. I don’t think even the team making it has a real schedule yet.

#25686 13 days ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

A version of Alien will be made by pinball brothers, and likely CGC will be involved. It won’t be a remake though, it will be a totally new design. I don’t think even the team making it has a real schedule yet.

Very interesting.....I wouldn't mind another take on alien although I really think the HW nailed it.

#25687 13 days ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Thanks for sharing. At least we have an info there: Seems to be different with we what we already heard with a different design.
Now pinball is hard.

#25688 13 days ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelb:

I think that Iceman is betting that the games will be made by 12/31/2019.

Nope.

He never said games will be made by 12/31/19. That is just his deadline to make the bet without giving a date they will be made. Nobody is going to make a bet without knowing the terms.

If 12/31/19 is his date that they will be made, I accept his $1,000 bet. Money needs to be put in an escrow account and released to the winner on 12/31/19.

Game on.

#25689 13 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

malfunction

What is a good way to “destress” the USB connector/cable connection on Io-board 1? The cable points towards the back of the cabinet and seems to move easily which causes my IO-board 1 to be “missing”. All coils and lamps are out of order. This connector is indeed a incredibly fragile (and from a pinball persoective) and stupid design. It just doesn’t fit tight.
I want to replace the connector at IO-board 1 for a better one that fits more tight. Do these more tight or better locking connectors exist?

#25690 13 days ago
Quoted from Maurice:

What is a good way to “destress” the USB connector/cable connection on Io-board 1

In general mount some posts and fix the cables with zipties to them. You can also bend and narrow the USB socket housing on the board a little bit to tighten the seat. I described my mods here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/477#post-4852971 and here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/478#post-4865214

#25691 13 days ago
Quoted from RTS:

Got it.

Let me be clear. Bet is that they announce it before yr end.

They are already in the process of being "remade".

But for a certain issue it would have already been announced.

#25692 13 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

hows the xeno flasher mod going?

I designed a PCB and ordered a small number of the boards in Hongkong (https://jlcpcb.com/). They are currently shipped to Germany and as soon as I have one board completed I will let you know how to get one.
3D-View (resized).jpgXeno Flasher Layout (resized).jpg

#25693 13 days ago
Quoted from Per_:

In general mount some posts and fix the cables with zipties to them. You can also bend and narrow the USB socket housing on the board a little bit to tighten the seat. I described my mods here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/477#post-4852971 and here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/478#post-4865214

Agreed, but being super careful if trying to bend the USB socket. Strain relief with zip ties holding the cable to a slight bend "in" towards the connector creates a nice seat as the cable wants to naturally go into the socket.....

#25694 12 days ago

Hi all!

I'm currently about finished with my Alien pinball upgrade and I'm running into some issues I hope some people here can help me out with. It was one of the prototype machines but I have replaced the computer with the upgraded version running the latest game code (1.2). I have all new IO boards installed and two of them are upgraded to the 0.9 firmware (More on this later). I also have new shielded USB cables plugged into the IO Boards and have replaced the old tower LEDs with ones from TimeBandit (Thanks!).

My first issue is that the game hangs and I'm forced to restart the machine if I try and upgrade the other two IO boards. Does anyone have an idea on how to solve that issue? I was told it is a relatively simple fix using a PICkit3 which would allow me to have the game upgrade them to 0.9. I was wondering if anyone had info on that?

My second issue is that I'm running into some LED flickering. I have it happening to some degree for all of the playfield PCBs but to keep things simple I will focus on the lower one (Highest when playfield is raised up). This particular PCB has one of the IO Boards that is upgraded to the latest firmware of 0.9. I'm basically finding in the individual lamp test mode two LED connections seem to be causing problems. If I select 3-B1, in addition to itself, it will partially light up 3-B2 and 3-B3. The frequency of their flickering will be faster and a little more faint further down the chain. A similar situation happens with 3-B3. So basically:

3-B1 --> 3-B2 --> 3-B3
3-B3 --> 3-B4 --> 3-BGI Right Flipper High

Selecting any other LED produces the correct behavior, including 3-B2, 3-B4, etc. I tried replacing the LEDs with different ones but get the same output. This also produces undesirable results with the full lamp test as well obviously.

Thanks for any help!

Added 9 days ago:

I ended up fixing my flickering LED issue. Turns out it was some faulty lamps that I soldered. They worked by themselves but were causing problems further up the chain. Still need to find a way to upgrade the firmware on those two IO boards if anyone has some info.

#25695 12 days ago

So, Alien Remake or new version or none of the above? If a new version, the owners lucked out.

#25696 12 days ago
Quoted from dts:

So, Alien Remake or new version or none of the above? If a new version, the owners lucked out.

Same game with some refinements and a standard cabinet is my guess.

#25697 11 days ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Same game with some refinements and a standard cabinet is my guess.

Likely a new design.

#25698 11 days ago

Great for the owners if true! But it doesn’t make sense that Pinball Bros would spend more time and money developing a new game when they own the design to a sure thing. Maybe new design means building on the original with some different parts or modifications.

#25699 11 days ago
Quoted from dts:

Great for the owners if true! But it doesn’t make sense that Pinball Bros would spend more time and money developing a new game when they own the design to a sure thing. Maybe new design means building on the original with some different parts or modifications.

Original owners win either way. New design sure but even if they rerelease it's not just that's it's built differently but I would expect, if the rumors are true that the bally/Williams version would not incorporate the backbox screen and almost certainly not the pf screen. Both of those would be a significant difference along with the way it feels, art and looks.

To summarize you wouldn't have a CGC remake situation you would have two different games, which keeps they original just as desirable, especially late runs.

The more alien the better for the Pinball world!

#25700 11 days ago

In my opinion it's all nonsens!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
10,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Helsinki
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 25767 posts in this topic. You are on page 514 of 516.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside