• 24,905 posts
  • 990 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by BladeFury
  • Topic is favorited by 268 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,877 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN6937 (resized).JPG
DSCN6931 (resized).JPG
CC2CD5AA-B856-4BD8-9C0C-EED08214398A (resized).jpeg
7F4123F8-8391-4ECE-AF11-E962ADD02580 (resized).jpeg
C653BBEA-0D6A-4AB8-B747-8AB03D8AB9A9 (resized).jpeg
A15EC5AF-B8AF-4747-B4C0-E2FF4E306E55 (resized).jpeg
DSCN6913 (resized).JPG
DSCN6918 (resized).JPG
DSCN6921 (resized).JPG
518EA3E1-9B40-4D09-9AF3-D08B83ACA387 (resized).jpeg
EC6E7BFE-1F99-4FAB-9410-B8F27C37F14C (resized).jpeg
DSCN6926 (resized).JPG
DSCN6925 (resized).JPG
IMG_4911 (resized).jpg
IMG_4910 (resized).jpg
Unbenannt (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24905 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 499.
#2501 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I think the big LCD makes the small LCD in the backbox obsolete?
I really would like to know this as I have the small LCD on order and that could be a waste of money.

What? Its one or the other, I have a small pre-ordered for my LE but will upgrade when available for sure.

#2502 3 years ago

I think the big LCD makes the small LCD in the backbox obsolete?
I really would like to know this as I have the small LCD on order and that could be a waste of money.

I mean, it's all about preference. The small LCD gives you a backbox display, with a large bit of art still. Personally if I was in your situation I'd probably opt to upgrade to the larger one instead for a few hundred more, but it's your money. It just has a much better impact.

Edit: To be clear, you pick one or the other. The demo at Expo was on a machine that already had the small LCD. You wouldn't normally have both like that.

#2503 3 years ago

I really would like to know this as I have the small LCD on order and that could be a waste of money

Andrew stated you can keep the small or upgrade to the big for what ever the difference is. Not determined yet on price but his guesstimate was reasonable

-Jeff

#2504 3 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Andrew stated you can keep the small or upgrade to the big for what ever the difference is. Not determined yet on price but his guesstimate was reasonable

What? Its one or the other,

This would be more of a concern for Full Throttle owners/expectant owners...the upgrade option--if they already have the small

#2505 3 years ago

Guys, the large LCD on Full Throttle was AMAZING! Let Aurich and Andrew figure this out. They both have passion and listen to feedback well. You won't be disappointed.

#2506 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I mean, it's all about preference. The small LCD gives you a backbox display, with a large bit of art still. Personally if I was in your situation I'd probably opt to upgrade to the larger one instead for a few hundred more, but it's your money. It just has a much better impact.
Edit: To be clear, you pick one or the other. The demo at Expo was on a machine that already had the small LCD. You wouldn't normally have both like that.

As I have a Full Throttle on order I was a bit surprised with the big LCD showing up. As of course it wasn't an option when I ordered my pin.

More info on that would be great as I have little time to decide what to do if I know my options.

For example: will the small LCD also be used for animations or just mirroring. Is the big LCD going to replace the translite as well or have just attract mode etc.

I like all the options. I also like to get a clear understanding what I am buying and how that impacts my player experience.

#2507 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The game already has capability for 2 discrete outputs already, correct? They introduced the back box screens because they were listening to the feedback. Larger screen makes sense for attract AND gameplay....why not interactive animations on the big screen, and key gameplay stuff on the playfield?
Anyone that says they don't look at WOZ's screen during play is simply lying.....the animations and info are very immersive......I'm excited Heighway has embraced current technology

I'm hoping this is how the big LCD is implemented. Use the smaller screen and the one in the playfield for gameplay info and use the big screen for film clips and awesome attract modes. That way if someone doesn't buy the big screen and opts for the translight, they aren't missing anything important but definitely something that adds to the attractiveness. If the big screen just mirrors the other two LCDs, I think I will opt out.

#2508 3 years ago

I'm confused, there is one LCD on the PF but is there a smaller one between the speakers like a traditional pin or just an option to have a giant full size LCD like JJP?

#2509 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm confused, there is one LCD on the PF but is there a smaller one between the speakers like a traditional pin or just an option to have a giant full size LCD like JJP?

I think there will be just the one in the playfield, and option for none, small, or large for the back box......some kind of video on the airlock toy?

Just a guess, but can't imagine needing two screens on the back box..

#2510 3 years ago

For example: will the small LCD also be used for animations or just mirroring. Is the big LCD going to replace the translite as well or have just attract mode etc.
I like all the options. I also like to get a clear understanding what I am buying and how that impacts my player experience.

The small backbox LCD and the big backbox LCD are the same thing, one is just bigger and costs a little more. For the time being at least just mirrored. Anything that works with one should work with the other.

#2511 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I think there will be just the one in the playfield, and option for none, small, or large for the back box.

Bingo.

#2512 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Just a guess, but can't imagine needing two screens on the back box..

Yeah, no way the small and large LCD is on the backbox simultaneously, is everyone but me on something powerful today? If so I want some......

256dc0030b4f8e71f4eda58529ccd8cd.jpg

#2513 3 years ago

Hoping to clear this up.

For full throttle it makes sense to want the big LCD because with a little coding it can display as a different secondary video feed with new different information and different animations made to look right just for the back box location. So that can be a different video feed than what's showing on the playfield LCD above the flippers.

For alien (tell me I'm wrong) the big giant backbox LCD can only be a mirrored feed that duplicates exactly what you're seeing on the playfield LCD (or airlock LCD) with no new or different information capability to be seen at the back box.

There is no such thing as three DIFFERING video feeds in the highway system now. It can only do two. Alien already has two different video feeds: one in the revolving airlock toy and the other in the playfield. Therefore, any LCD put in the backbox be it the big or small screen would be a third video feed and thus can only be capable of being a duplicate feed mirroring exactly either what the airlock toy LCD is showing or what the playfield LCD above the flippers is showing.

I believe this was brought up amongst the Heighway presentation and things got a little vague which makes me think I have it right. Perhaps more than two unique differing video feeds can be added down the road to future titles as the capabilities of Heighway video equipment expands. But if I'm wrong here and now on the video capabilities of how Alien will be released I wait standing to be corrected.

#2514 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah, no way the small and large LCD is on the backbox simultaneously, is everyone but me on something powerful today?

They showed it that way at Expo and this is mainly coming from Full Throttle owners that have a small already...we get it.

#2515 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Hoping to clear this up.
For Full Throttle it makes sense to want the big LCD because with a little coding it can display as a different secondary video feed with new different information and different animations made to look right just for the back box location.
For alien (tell me I'm wrong) the big LCD can only be a mirrored feed that duplicates exactly what you're seeing on the playfield LCD (or airlock LCD) with no new or different information capability to be seen at the back box.
There is no such thing as three DIFFERING video feeds in the highway system now. It can only do two. Alien already has two different video feeds: one in the revolving airlock toy and the other in the playfield. Therefore, any LCD put in the backbox be it the big or small screen would be a third video feed and thus can only be capable of being a duplicate feed mirroring exactly either one of the first two mentioned video feeds.
I believe this was brought up amongst the Heighway presentation and things got a little vague which makes me think I have it right. Perhaps more than two unique differing video feeds can be added down the road to future titles as the capabilities of Heighway video equipment expands. But if I'm wrong here and now on the video capabilities of how Alien will be released I wait standing to be corrected.

I would suspect the large screen would take precedence over the airlock toy, video wise, hence giving them the 2 feeds they need.....and some sort of matrix triggered by the airlock toy to stream certain clips wouldn't be crazy expensive.....

I'm just speculating, but no way are they going to put a giant screen in Alien just to mirror the playfield display.....way too much potential there....

#2516 3 years ago

I think it helps to have played the game at Expo with the full screen option up top. It actually makes a lot of sense to be mirrored already. And on Alien I'm reworking the interface design now to work with the strengths of both screens to make it even better now that I've seen how Full Throttle works, and thinking about what I might change.

Here's how I'm approaching the user interface of the LCD screen:

You should see your score pretty much all the time. The exception being full screen animation takeovers. Like say the start of a multiball. But then you're back to seeing your score.

That works great for both screens. I want that info on both screens.

And during modes I want the status of the mode completion in both places. This isn't The Hobbit, they have a more "dashboard" approach. The Alien screens are going to be more like a traditional DMD, but with a higher level of detail, in full color, using clips from the film. So you can look to either place for vital information while playing, whichever you prefer. I think you're going to look up a lot more than you think if you install a second screen up there.

Anyways, long way of saying that after playing it myself at Expo, and thinking about how it should work, I think mirroring it is the way to go, but with a design built to run on both from the start. It will honestly provide the best playing experience.

I'm actually pretty excited about making something that works across both. It's a great design challenge, because it forces you to really attack the UX from multiple use cases, and as a result you're going to have a design that works at different scales and angles. Lots of chances for iconography for instance.

Part of what I do for a living is design user interfaces, it's a good challenge, and I think the right approach.

#2517 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I would suspect the large screen would take precedence over the airlock toy, video wise, hence giving them the 2 feeds they need.....and some sort of matrix triggered by the airlock toy to stream certain clips wouldn't be crazy expensive.....
I'm just speculating, but no way are they going to put a giant screen in Alien just to mirror the playfield display.....way too much potential there....

They are not putting a giant screen in Alien. That's totally up to you.

We haven't been given much information on what the airlock toy is going to be displaying. But I believe it is important enough not to get dismissed too easily.

Remember this was all figured out 10 or more months ago when Dennis Nordman was onboard. They had the fully playable digital playfield with basic rule set complete and a video of it to show Fox when they pitched the idea.

The airlock LCD is going to be vital in more ways than we know!

#2518 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think you're going to look up a lot more than you think if you install a second screen up there.

I like the sound of everything you described about the UI but I'm curious why you say this. Honest question: what is the logical reason for looking away from the playfield and playfield screen to look at the same image on the backbox screen? The only answer I can think of is, "because I've played a lot of pinball and that's what I'm used to."

My non-hardcore pinball friends struggle to look up at the DMD while playing; they've said so. It's something that does take some getting used to because if you look at the wrong time or for too long, it can negatively affect your game. The playfield screen location really is better from a player's perspective. Speaking from personal experience playing Full Throttle and the P3, it doesn't take that long to adjust to it, either.

Kudos to Heighway for offering options so I'm not trying to hate. If you think it looks cool in your game room, or will make the game earn better or whatever, that's fine but I don't understand the benefit of the upper screen to the player (assuming mirrored content).

#2519 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You should see your score pretty much all the time.

Completely agree. On many of the recent Sterns, between mode and combo scoring, and animations, it can be difficult to see your score. Also important competitively is seeing the other players scores often.

And, this may have been covered, but does the system have enough power to handle two screens displaying different content?

#2520 3 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

I like the sound of everything you described about the UI but I'm curious why you say this. Honest question: what is the logical reason for looking away from the playfield and playfield screen to look at the same image on the backbox screen? The only answer I can think of is, "because I've played a lot of pinball and that's what I'm used to."
My non-hardcore pinball friends struggle to look up at the DMD while playing; they've said so. It's something that does take some getting used to because if you look at the wrong time or for too long, it can negatively affect your game. The playfield screen location really is better from a player's perspective. Speaking from personal experience playing Full Throttle and the P3, it doesn't take that long to adjust to it, either.
Kudos to Heighway for offering options so I'm not trying to hate. If you think it looks cool in your game room, or will make the game earn better or whatever, that's fine but I don't understand the benefit of the upper screen to the player (assuming mirrored content).

On the giant LCD, speaking as someone that will have the game off more than on in my home, I'd rather have the full artwork panel to notice and appreciate when I walk by than see a turned off monitor screen.

It's great to have so many options to go with. Everyone can be happy.

I imagine the longer the ownership experience with the Heighway playfield LCD the less you divert your attention from the playfield. That can only be good for your gaming successes.

#2521 3 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all their feedback - both at Expo, and here on Pinside.

To clarify our hardware situation - we can currently support two separate HDMI feeds from our motherboard. We are also investigating a third separate feed via USB which may or may not be available by the time Alien Pinball gets to market.

Currently, the two backbox screen options both mirror the playfield display. We do not have any immediate plans for separate feeds here. We plan to make this happen at some point in the future, but we can't confirm if it will be available by Alien Pinball's release, a later software update or our third title.

We truly believe in our playfield-located LCD screen. The player's focus is above the flipper area and it does not take long to get used to this new screen location. The backbox screens are available to enhance the experience for the player or ambient watchers near the machine.

We have been amazed by the number of people who have been blown over by the 27" screen option. Many people have commented that it brings a "wow factor" to our system. When we tested this option for the first time last week, this was out own conclusion.

As a company looking to make pinball mainstream again, we now believe that this new screen option can help to attract new players to our games, and enhance the overall pinball experience.

#2522 3 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Thanks to everyone for all their feedback - both at Expo, and here on Pinside.
To clarify our hardware situation - we can currently support two separate HDMI feeds from our motherboard. We are also investigating a third separate feed via USB which may or may not be available by the time Alien Pinball gets to market.
Currently, the two backbox screen options both mirror the playfield display. We do not have any immediate plans for separate feeds here. We plan to make this happen at some point in the future, but we can't confirm if it will be available by Alien Pinball's release, a later software update or our third title.
We truly believe in our playfield-located LCD screen. The player's focus is above the flipper area and it does not take long to get used to this new screen location. The backbox screens are available to enhance the experience for the player or ambient watchers near the machine.
We have been amazed by the number of people who have been blown over by the 27" screen option. Many people have commented that it brings a "wow factor" to our system. When we tested this option for the first time last week, this was out own conclusion.
As a company looking to make pinball mainstream again, we now believe that this new screen option can help to attract new players to our games, and enhance the overall pinball experience.

Thanks for the update Andrew.

Anything known yet on pricing or upgrading from small LCD if one on order?

And how does the large LCD impact the backbox art?

#2523 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

They have a style guide, and you gotta stick to it.

Seems FOX didn't take this style guide too serious themselves apparently...they provided you with a HD wallpaper? Alien_05.jpg

#2524 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Also, like I said, please feel free to criticize. But I do appreciate the kind comments too.

Hi Aurich,

I would rather give feedback in person, but missed you on Expo. Not really sure why to criticise though. It's been approved, so I don't suppose you will re-submit to FOX anyway.
Personally not a fan of the egg as the backglass image. I do prefer to see characters or monsters on a backglass. This is too static for me. But this all comes down to personal taste and that's fine. You made you're choices as the art-director for this piece.

One thing that caught my eye is the star glints in the background. Not sure, but aren't those in 'straight' or rotated 45 deg. positioning normally?

Looking forward what your work for the screen. It's good to see more competition on pinball LCD graphics and see what other companies come up with.

Best, JP

Didn't anyone notice the Easter Egg yet?

Easter-Egg.jpg

#2525 3 years ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

Didn't anyone notice the Easter Egg yet?

Easter-Egg.jpg

Ha made me laugh

#2526 3 years ago

Looks like Aurich will have to create an alternate translate for his own translate.

#2527 3 years ago

If I missed it sorry, but do these games have interactive LED lighting on the backbox or will it be a cheap (Stern) quality fluorescent light tube?

#2528 3 years ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

Hi Aurich,
Personally not a fan of the egg as the backglass image. I do prefer to see characters or monsters on a backglass. This is too static for me. But this all comes down to personal taste and that's fine. You made you're choices as the art-director for this piece.

Dude, he's explained this 100 times. It's Fox mandated.

#2529 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

If I missed it sorry, but do these games have interactive LED lighting on the backbox or will it be a cheap (Stern) quality fluorescent light tube?

It's led strip lighting which is meant to be addressable for various lighting effects

#2530 3 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

It's led strip lighting which is meant to be addressable for various lighting effects

Is it addressable in rgb color or only white?

#2531 3 years ago

Sorry no idea

#2532 3 years ago

As good as the "big" LCD looks, I don't believe I will be ordering one. The Heighway system is designed with the LCD in the playfield, which I think is a Great idea. To have the "big" LCD just mirroring the playfield LCD display, is of no value to me. I would rather have a "Big" backglass. Now if they were two separate feeds part/all of the time, that would be Awesome, & it would make the "big" LCD a must. So until they confirm two separate feeds, I think I'll pass on the "big" LCD.
It's great to have options though! Kudos to Heighway on this!

#2533 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

As good as the "big" LCD looks, I don't believe I will be ordering one. The Heighway system is designed with the LCD in the playfield, which I think is a Great idea. To have the "big" LCD just mirroring the in screen display, is of no value to me. I would rather have a "Big" backglass. Now if they where separate feeds part/all of the time, that would be Awesome, & it would make the "big" LCD a must. So until they confirm two separate feeds, I think I'll pass on the "big" LCD.

Couldn't agree with this more.

#2534 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

As good as the "big" LCD looks, I don't believe I will be ordering one. The Heighway system is designed with the LCD in the playfield, which I think is a Great idea. To have the "big" LCD just mirroring the in screen display, is of no value to me. I would rather have a "Big" backglass. Now if they where separate feeds part/all of the time, that would be Awesome, & it would make the "big" LCD a must. So until they confirm two separate feeds, I think I'll pass on the "big" LCD.

I'm on the same page. Big screen looks awesome but I would not like to give up the Alien artwork on the backglass. The smaller screen with the artwork for alien but the big screen for full throttle. Problem is it screws up the interchangeability between the two.

I really don't know now

#2535 3 years ago

Having the smaller version of the LCD in my full throttle, I already feel it needs to do more than just mirror the playfield. It kind of feels odd to have 2 displays with the exact same thing.

The big LCD will only lesson the impact of the playfield lcd if it is just mirroring it.

I do see the "wow" factor of it, and hopefully that means more money on location. On the other hand, operators seem motivated by price and are already resistant to dropping $1500 more than a Stern Pro for a location machine. We can see in the factory photos that there are lots of buyers of the base model with only the playfield LCD.

So this is kind of confusing the market now, with all these options, and how to support them.

#2536 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Hopefully the big screen will be present at the Dutch Pinball Open 2015 so I can see it there and judge if I like it or not.

As I have room for only one pin I find it hard to make a decision now as it will impact all future purchases. Also I do like the backbox art and how is the big LCD going to impact that. Lot of questions.......

#2537 3 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Seems FOX didn't take this style guide too serious themselves apparently...they provided you with a HD wallpaper? Alien_05.jpg

That "wallpaper" is just part of the Alien brand packaging that someone leaked out. So yes, they take it seriously, you'll find that image on all kinds of official Alien products. As a commercial product their desire was that we used their brand elements, it's how they maintain consistency.

Obviously in an ideal scenario we'd prefer to say the heck with consistency, and do our own thing. Not an option in this case.

I think it will light up beautifully, and compliment the black Heighway cabinet. I'm not at all concerned about it looking good in person. And I stand by the quality of the work. The rest is what it is.

Bottom line is that I'm happy with it. Whatever else could have happened is just daydreaming, in the real world I feel like it works.

#2538 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I think the separate feeds will be inevitable at some point....even if it's just a mirror image to start, it will allow onlookers to experience the gameplay as well...I'm super excited about the big display as it adds an ever changing element and more immersion into the game. Definitely doing this, but appreciate the ability to make different choices......this way everyone gets what they want (well, sort of )

#2539 3 years ago

People don't realize that there will be art around the large monitor, as well (all be it smaller of course). When my "row" is off, WOZ doesn't look much different than the other dark ones......but when it's on...a different story altogether.......

#2540 3 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

I mean, I have no idea if it's just what I'm used to or not, but I still did it. A lot.

#2541 3 years ago

It's easy to be critical but whatever is done, you hope that it is done well. The egg might not be your favorite image from the movies but it is done well. I see nothing but good things with what Heighway is doing. Everything from the modular design, dual color displays, and constant improvements. They just put one game out and already showing work on the next game.

I'm actually pretty excited to see how this pin turns out. I can't say that about any other pin on the horizon. Stern's next game will no doubt disappoint on some level. Who knows when JJP will actually ship their second game so no reason to get excited about their 3rd. Spooky is limited on production and I'm not into the horror theme stuff.

#2542 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Obviously in an ideal scenario we'd prefer to say the heck with consistency, and do our own thing. Not an option in this case.

Well in that respect i think you did a nice job! Do you have the (limited) freedom to add animations to this backglass? (animate smoke en stars etc? )

#2543 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

People don't realize that there will be art around the large monitor, as well (all be it smaller of course). When my "row" is off, WOZ doesn't look much different than the other dark ones......but when it's on...a different story altogether.......

I think we do, but how will it look? Will the LCD screen complement the art frame around it? It is just difficult too choose if you are not fully aware of the options.

#2544 3 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Well in that respect i think you did a nice job! Do you have the (limited) freedom to add animations to this backglass? (animate smoke en stars etc? )

Not sure what you mean by animation, are you talking about on the big LCD option? That's going to show attract mode animations, but they won't look like an animated version of the backglass.

#2545 3 years ago

I think we do, but how will it look? Will the LCD screen complement the art frame around it? It is just difficult too chose if you are not fully aware of the options.

That's why I'm waiting. No need to preorder

#2546 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

That's why I'm waiting. No need to preorder

I did not preorder. I am waiting on my Full Throttle.

#2547 3 years ago

Any thoughts on the fiber optic wire being made available as an add on to standard games?

Just thinking about getting a Full Throttle, but would love the Alien fiber optic wires on the ramps. I guess right now the only way to get those would be to get a complete Alien LE game vs just the playfield.

#2548 3 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Any thoughts on the fiber optic wire being made available as an add on to standard games?
Just thinking about getting a Full Throttle, but would love the Alien fiber optic wires on the ramps. I guess right now the only way to get those would be to get a complete Alien LE game vs just the playfield.

Yes it will. Being tested at the moment. No pricing available yet. Beacons and shaker will also become available as upgrade.

#2549 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

...and I'm not into the horror theme stuff.

ummmmmmm....

261E924400000578-2968785-image-a-1_1424963372299.jpg

#2550 3 years ago

Yes it will. Being tested at the moment. No pricing available yet. Beacons and shaker will also become available as upgrade.

Sweet!! thank you

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Sale Pending!
Denver, CO
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
$ 279.95
16,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Middleborough, MA
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
There are 24905 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 499.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside