• 25,231 posts
  • 994 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by Oneangrymo
  • Topic is favorited by 267 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,926 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D3F4019C-DBA9-436A-B560-6D6A4E537E7E (resized).jpeg
E4C1728B-C453-413E-A123-FC3E34308220 (resized).jpeg
DSCN6993 (resized).JPG
IMG_2514 (resized).jpeg
ALIEN-Knocker Assy - Bracket 2.pdf (PDF preview)
ALIEN_Knocker_Bracket-B.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
ALIEN - Logo Kassentür - LIMITED EDITION full.pdf (PDF preview)
ALIEN - Fuse List.pdf (PDF preview)
DSCN6994 (resized).JPG
DSCN6995 (resized).JPG
3100-A Beacon Light Series (resized).jpg
20190813_155912_zpsvfumxni0 (resized).JPG
Heighway Pinball Amplifier Settings.pdf (PDF preview)
DSCN6992 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 25231 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 505.
#2451 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Aurich, is the other side of the cab going to have identical art? Or will the text and xeno switch sides, so that the xeno is towards the back of the cab?

I'm not sure. I've already done the "switched sides" art, but Fox hasn't seen it yet, just the first version, so not clear. But that would be my preference, same art, but switched so it was oriented the same from either side.

#2452 3 years ago

This I like!!!!!!!!

image.jpeg

#2453 3 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

This I like!!!!!!!!

image.jpeg

I agree. The Alien on the back-box is a better image. The pinball is called Alien, not Green Egg.

The artwork is creative and amazing, but I don't think it tells the story of what this pinball is. The main character, the Alien, is on the side of the cabinet, which is wrong. It's all back to front.

Consider this:

The eggs should be on the side of the cabinet, at ground level, where they are in the movie, around your feet. The Alien should be on the back box, looming over you, 10 feet tall, like it is in the movie.

Also, you're not going to see the side art if the pin is squeezed in between other pins so you've instantly hidden your branding. The Alien creature is the branding, not the egg.

Look at Game of thrones, Kiss, James Bond, Spiderman, Playboy, Terminator 2, any machine really. Main character: back box.

As a side note, If you could see the side of the cabinet, and the eggs were say about 16 inches tall, imagine the lighting effects you could get with green and white light on them if the LEDs were controllable.

#2454 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

I agree. The Alien on the back-box is a better image. The pinball is called Alien, not Green Egg.
The artwork is creative and amazing, but I don't think it tells the story of what this pinball is. The main character, the Alien, is on the side of the cabinet, which is wrong. It's all back to front.
Consider this:
The eggs should be on the side of the cabinet, at ground level, where they are in the movie, around your feet. The Alien should be on the back box, looming over you, 10 feet tall, like it is in the movie.
Also, you're not going to see the side art if the pin is squeezed in between other pins so you've instantly hidden your branding. The Alien creature is the branding, not the egg.
If the eggs were on the side of the cabinet, say about 16 inches tall, image the lighting effects you could get with green and white light on them if you could control the LEDs.

That is exactly how I feel about it, sure the egg is iconic, so stick it on the side art, its all about the alien for me.

#2455 3 years ago

Yep, the eggs needs to be on the side. Would make more sense and it would look better too, win win situation.

And than the real alien on the translight. Would be a great change. And license wise not a problem i think.

Although.... The holders these days are very anal about it.

#2456 3 years ago

Having sat with it a few days, I have to say I'm not thrilled with the egg as the primary backglass image for the game. This is 2015 (2016 when the game comes out), back in 1979 you couldn't show your monster. But after 4 movies the xenomorph is one of the greatest known movie monsters of all time and it's a bummer he isn't front and center with more action and excitement present.

Based on what we know about how hard it was to get cleared, we might be stuck with it. So it feels like a missed opportunity, but what can you do. Gotta get this game out.

#2457 3 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

And license wise not a problem i think.

I think the concept of the alien looming on the back box with the eggs nested on the sides makes perfect sense. The fact that the back box doesn't feature an alien proves that it *is* a problem with Fox.

I'd put money on the fact that one of the four proposed designs Heighway sent to Fox, before Aurich was on board, featured an alien just as we're proposing. But fox picked the egg design and that's what Aurich has had to run with.

Fox's reason for choosing the egg idea makes sense particularly when you consider that the awarding of this license would have had something to do with the pinball coinciding with the 35th Anniversary of Alien — not Aliens.

Quoted from frolic:

Based on what we know about how hard it was to get cleared, we might be stuck with it. So it feels like a missed opportunity, but what can you do. Gotta get this game out.

Reading between the lines of Aurich's comments, I'd expect to see a backbox design featuring the alien for the LE art. I bet that is what he's aiming to pitch them.

#2458 3 years ago

The basic bottom line reality is that there just wasn't another choice. I could agree with all of you and it wouldn't change things.

So instead I just made the layout I needed to do as interesting as possible, with lots of detail, and I think it will light up great, and be instantly recognizable by fans of the films. I'm not at all unhappy with it, I feel like given the parameters it worked out well.

As I said earlier, the LE artwork is going to be saved until the end, when the license "limits" are a little more clear, and I'll do my best to take the comments into account for it. Other than that I'm just not in a position to promise anything right now on that front.

Would I have done things differently given the choice? Sure. Do I love the egg image? I really do, to me it's one of the best iconic movie posters of all time. So I'm not mad or anything, just trying to explain that it kind of had to be that way.

Because I see this:

Quoted from Plungemaster:

And license wise not a problem i think.

and I have to say "rethink".

#2459 3 years ago

Egg all the way for me. Just so iconic love it. In fact currently in for an LE but may have to swap to the standard version on the back of this artwork.
But no need to make any hasty decisions looking forward to the LE reveal

#2460 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

back in 1979 you couldn't show your monster. But after 4 movies the xenomorph is one of the greatest known movie monsters of all time

Exactly. In 1979 it was a tease. Hollywood didn't want us to see the monster until the end of the movie. A perfect way to make people want to watch it and keep them in suspense throughout the entire film.

Now we all know what the Alien looks like. It's still scary, but instantly recognisable. It is the main character. We should see it. The Green Egg back-box is direct reference to an old 1979 marketing image. It's wrong. It should be about the characters.

I would prefer a back-box with a mix of images, like the Alien, the Nostromo, the military drop-craft, the crashed alien space craft, the huge dead soldier in the first space craft, Jonesy the cat , Sigourney Weaver (if you could get approval), a face hugger. A montage. A montage on the back box with Alien as the central character. It also means it looks less scary to put on site in a pub.

Licensing shouldn't be an issue. Every other pinball has the main characters on the back box. Game of Thrones is the latest example, and before that, Kiss.

#2461 3 years ago

Saw the big LCD in one of the Full Throttles at expo and it looked nice and crisp, so no worries there.

If it's just going to mirror the playfield LCD, I don't see the point, though. As a player, the playfield LCD works great. If you want something for onlookers or for attracting attention on location, I think the small back box LCD serves that purpose while being able to keep the translite.

As mentioned, having even more individually addressable screens would create even more work when I'm sure creating the video and UI content is already a big effort. And if the screen is not standard, is it worth it? Doesn't seem realistic.

Plus their whole philosophy has been that the screen is primarily for the player. The fact they have been introducing these backbox screens seems like they are just trying to give options to buyers who like the traditional back box display location for whatever reason. Not that they are going to suddenly switch to a crazy (though potentially cool) system with different screens all over the place doing independent things.

#2462 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

I would prefer a back-box with a mix of images, like the Alien, the Nostromo, the military drop-craft, the crashed alien space craft, the huge dead soldier in the first space craft, Jonesy the cat , Sigourney Weaver (if you could get approval), a face hugger. A montage. A montage on the back box with Alien as the central character. It also means it looks less scary to put on site in a pub.

If I had total freedom to do anything I wanted ... I still wouldn't do that.

Not a fan of montage backglasses. Feels like the Data East approach.

Quoted from voodle:

Licensing shouldn't be an issue.

I know it feels like that on the outside. But it just doesn't work with that kind of simple logic. Be nice if it was that easy, but it's not.

#2463 3 years ago

I'm going w the large screen in the back box anyway.....then, maybe, some badass "monsters" in motion in attract mode, eggs in the surrounding artwork.....win/ win!!!.....

#2464 3 years ago

Aurich, why don't you do a quick mockup of what YOU would like to do assuming you had total freedom. Show it to us, get our feedback, then use our comments as ammunition to show Andrew and let Fox know how your 'online audience survey' went. They might come around.

#2465 3 years ago

This image (or something like it) I know it's dark, and might not be great on location. But I'm thinking for the LE, especially if there was custom lighted backbox. It migh be cool to be half dark but have some hidden images that could be revealed with backlighting.

Maybe if you take this image as an example, have the left side be human character but with the right side very dark/black. But reveal the alien when back light is added.

image.jpeg

#2466 3 years ago

LE backglass needs to have the mother Alien on it. JMO

#2467 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If I had total freedom to do anything I wanted ... I still wouldn't do that.
Not a fan of montage backglasses.

Thank you, and couldn't agree more......the egg " is" the Alien, btw.....think the image shown looks fine.....

#2468 3 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

Saw the big LCD in one of the Full Throttles at expo and it looked nice and crisp, so no worries there.
If it's just going to mirror the playfield LCD, I don't see the point, though. As a player, the playfield LCD works great. If you want something for onlookers or for attracting attention on location, I think the small back box LCD serves that purpose while being able to keep the translite.

I'm looking for some clarity on this . If the big screen is going to display the translite where appropriate I'm in. If it just mirrors the playfield lcd I will stick with the smaller screen in the backbox

#2469 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'm going w the large screen in the back box anyway.....then, maybe, some badass "monsters" in motion in attract mode, eggs in the surrounding artwork.....win/ win!!!.....

Here's my honest take: as much as the big LCD screen kinda jacks up my art, I think you're a fool if you don't get it.

It looks great in person. And it's a smart investment, because you buy it once, and then every game you get after that to swap into the cabinet with the Heighway modular system can use it. So if it's $600, it's more like $300 when you get the next game, and $200 for the third. The value keeps on giving.

#2470 3 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

I'm looking for some clarity on this . If the big screen is going to display the translite where appropriate I'm in. If it just mirrors the playfield lcd I will stick with the smaller screen in the backbox

With the full LCD back-box, like the one on Wizard of Oz, although a nice idea, I don't think it works. Why? Your head is generally down playing the game. Only rarely do you glance up. When you do you know where to look with a DMD. It's compact.

With a massive LCD there is just too much information. I don't see it as an advancement. I see it as more expense and a big black screen when the machine is off.

I do like the color DMDs that are available now though. I still like the dot pattern. It's stylised and a reference to the older machines. It's also a lot cheaper and simpler to make. Imagine the coding required, extra art and animation, electronics, just to make something you rarely look at. Huge investment in man power, technology and cost for little return.

#2471 3 years ago
Quoted from Roo:

The fact they have been introducing these backbox screens seems like they are just trying to give options to buyers who like the traditional back box display location for whatever reason. Not that they are going to suddenly switch to a crazy (though potentially cool) system with different screens all over the place doing independent things.

The game already has capability for 2 discrete outputs already, correct? They introduced the back box screens because they were listening to the feedback. Larger screen makes sense for attract AND gameplay....why not interactive animations on the big screen, and key gameplay stuff on the playfield?

Anyone that says they don't look at WOZ's screen during play is simply lying.....the animations and info are very immersive......I'm excited Heighway has embraced current technology

#2472 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

Aurich, why don't you do a quick mockup of what YOU would like to do assuming you had total freedom. Show it to us, get our feedback, then use our comments as ammunition to show Andrew and let Fox know how your 'online audience survey' went. They might come around.

It just doesn't work that way man. I don't know what kind of experience you have with this particular world, but I'm going to guess not a lot. Brand management just doesn't budge for some opinions on an internet forum.

I'm not trying to throw Fox under the bus here. They have a style guide, and you gotta stick to it. A pinball or a lunchbox, it's kind of all the same to them. If you have tens of millions of dollars in budget and you're making a game like Alien Isolation? Hey there's some room there. And part of that budget is going to pay for a team from Fox to oversee everything. Alien is their baby, we're not going to be able to say "hey, we're going to take your kid for a trip, we have a motorcycle and a sidecar, don't sweat it, we'll drive carefully". Their baby is getting a solid carseat, and they're checking that all the straps are done right.

#2473 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

as much as the big LCD screen kinda jacks up my art

Wouldn't the default static image be the art?

#2474 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It just doesn't work that way man. I don't know what kind of experience you have with this particular world, but I'm going to guess not a lot.

Actually, I'm a TV producer. In reality it won't matter what you put on the back-box because people will still buy the machine. The egg is wrong, but it will still sell. The reality is also that there won't be many on-site because the home market is where sales are. Even Stern knows that, but they won't say it publicly. Ultimately it's a product, like a TV show, and it is just a vehicle to make money so the next product can be produced.

#2475 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

With the full LCD back-box, like the one on Wizard of Oz, although a nice idea, I don't think it works. Why? Your head is generally down playing the game. Only rarely do you glance up.
With a massive LCD there is just too much information.

Wrong, and wrong ( this is just my opinion)......

I'm anxious to get to certain modes just to watch the animations.....the info is easy to find once you get used to where it is.........I have some beautiful translites on other games, but never look at them when I'm playing...

How cool would it be to complete a mode and watch a chest bursting seen!!!......come on......

#2476 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you have tens of millions of dollars in budget and you're making a game like Alien Isolation? Hey there's some room there.

If only they'd spent some of that Alien:Isolation money on QA.

I think the backglass is 1000x better than the GoT playfield, and technically well done, but it still isn't very interesting IMO. Just proves once again that even the "perfect" license is only as good as the licensor.

#2477 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

With a massive LCD there is just too much information. I don't see it as an advancement. I see it as more expense and a big black screen when the machine is off.

Hmm. I know what you mean. And I think Hobbit's LCD looks gorgeous, but a bit overwhelming. At least to a new player. But that's because they made some different decisions than we did.

For instance, Hobbit has all of their mode stuff on the LCD. We have a more traditional setup, with inserts on the playfield.

I think the real different is that for Alien the LCD screen is going to act more like a DMD. It shows you your score, it plays cool animations during big events, it gives you instructions. But it's not a big crazy dashboard. I would think of it as a middle ground between the traditional DMD approach, and JJP's LCD approach. Hopefully a best of both worlds.

#2478 3 years ago

Well, there is only one thing for certain......you cannot please everyone..... I'm happy to have the chance to get one...period...

#2479 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

With the full LCD back-box, like the one on Wizard of Oz, although a nice idea, I don't think it works. Why? Your head is generally down playing the game. Only rarely do you glance up. When you do you know where to look with a DMD. It's compact.

Total nonsense. Always glance up. DMD SUCKS.

#2480 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If you have tens of millions of dollars in budget and you're making a game like Alien Isolation? Hey there's some room there. And part of that budget is going to pay for a team from Fox to oversee everything.

Ah... I was wondering what the difference was and how those games can create so much content.

#2481 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

I see it as more expense and a big black screen when the machine is off.

As many have pointed out (Greg, Rarehero, comes to mind first).....who really cares when it's off?

#2482 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

Actually, I'm a TV producer.

Ah well, there you go, when you assume ...

Seriously then, you know how this stuff goes. We all love pinball. We think pinball is a world under glass, and just the best thing since sliced bread. Brand management people don't see it as any different than a slot machine, or a video game, or anything else. We try and educate them as best we can, we work with where things are flexible. And we follow the guidelines where we're required.

My day job isn't pinball, but it involves a lot of big brands. I just worked on campaigns for LG, Microsoft, and Sony recently for example. Before I was the creative director for Ars Technica I did marketing for video games. Ubisoft, Sega, Midway, companies like that. Did campaigns for games like Splinter Cell, Mortal Kombat, Call of Duty etc.

I'm on really comfortable ground here, I'm not new to this. And you learn where you have to just follow the brand guidelines, and where you can try new things. Trust me, I've fought some battles already.

#2483 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more, the egg for me is iconic and refelects the best film of the series, its beautiful.

images.jpg

#2484 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Well, there is only one thing for certain......you cannot please everyone.....

Ain't that the truth!!

Anyways, I'm just trying to give you guys a little insight into this world. Everyone deals with it, and sometimes you find creative workarounds, and sometimes you don't. Some brands and companies are more free and lenient than others. Ask me if I'd ever agree to work on a Disney brand ... I had to sign one of their contracts once, I said I'd never do it again.

Licenses sell. Better or for worse, that's just the truth. You guys are here because OMG ALIEN, not "woah, Heighway's Space Alien Adventure!" And I'm a huge Alien fan, so I'm in line right with you, it's why I jumped at the opportunity, so I'm not putting anyone down.

But if you play in someone else's sandbox, you gotta follow their rules. It's usually and mostly that simple. I think when you get to see more you'll all be happy. I wouldn't worry. But as I said, feel free to weigh in, I can definitely take any comments, I have thick hide that's more than battle-tested.

#2485 3 years ago

Everyone loved the art two days ago and now everyone wants it changed. It's gonna look badass all lit up.

#2486 3 years ago

I'm kind of sick of discussing art, can we see the playfield and some gameplay

#2487 3 years ago

and if there's a giant LCD that can display animations, one would assume besides showing the standard art, it would transform in to most of the other images people are wanting to see...right?

#2488 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

and if there's a giant LCD that can display animations, one would assume besides showing the standard art, it would transform in to most of the other images people are wanting to see...right?

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#2489 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Yes, attract mode ain't no static translite.
And on that, I seriously hope attract mode on the big screen is all theme content and not in the style of the WOZ credit reel.

#2490 3 years ago

Is it possible to show us some denied or unused artwork if there is some?

#2491 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes, attract mode ain't no static translite.

wonder how the Fox approval works on that...let them approve an egg translite and then the programmers put in 10 other images when you have the LCD option

#2492 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

wonder how the Fox approval works on that...let them approve an egg translite and then the programmers put in 10 other images when you have the LCD option

Video and static art are really two different beasts.

Quoted from NFK:

Is it possible to show us some denied or unused artwork if there is some?

Afraid not. And honestly I can't see how that would be helpful even if it was possible, I can't say I really want to do it. Hard to see a good outcome from that.

I get it, people are curious. And you know I'm as open and honest as possible. But somethings have to stay in the archives.

#2493 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I wonder if you could add your own images to the LCD like a digital photograph frame. (at least during the attract mode).

#2494 3 years ago

BTW I like the egg bachglas and sideart very much. No need to show more aliens if there are on the Playfield.

To me the egg is the part that represents the first movie.
I hope the playfield artwork do the same for the 2nd movie...

#2495 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Video and static art are really two different beasts.

and if there is no translite essentially, there is no static art in that area at least...seems like the worries about the egg are moot in that case and we'll just have to wait on the animations and how that all shakes out.

#2496 3 years ago

Just wait till the whole package comes out and all aspects from both films are shown along with integration of screen clips and intros. I think yall will be floored.

I especially liked the animated? intros. Oh also Jonsey

-Jeff

#2497 3 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Just wait till the whole package comes out and all aspects from both films are shown along with integration of screen clips and intros. I think yall will be floored.
I especially liked the animated? intros. Oh also Jonsey
-Jeff

Since you've seen it Jeff, good enough for me!

#2498 3 years ago

Iceman, Come up to Austin for a beer and we can discuss

-Jeff

#2499 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hmm. I know what you mean. And I think Hobbit's LCD looks gorgeous, but a bit overwhelming. At least to a new player. But that's because they made some different decisions than we did.
For instance, Hobbit has all of their mode stuff on the LCD. We have a more traditional setup, with inserts on the playfield.
I think the real different is that for Alien the LCD screen is going to act more like a DMD. It shows you your score, it plays cool animations during big events, it gives you instructions. But it's not a big crazy dashboard. I would think of it as a middle ground between the traditional DMD approach, and JJP's LCD approach. Hopefully a best of both worlds.

I think the big LCD makes the small LCD in the backbox obsolete?

I really would like to know this as I have the small LCD on order and that could be a waste of money.

#2500 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I think the big LCD makes the small LCD in the backbox obsolete?
I really would like to know this as I have the small LCD on order and that could be a waste of money.

You would think...like to hear from Heighway on that after dropping $350 for a factory fit one...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Los Altos, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
16,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Middleborough, MA
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 50.00
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Göteborg, VäSTRA GöTALANDS LäN
There are 25231 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 505.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside