DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

762 posts in this topic match your search for posts by aurich. You are on page 4 of 4.
#24373 4 years ago

I’ll pass that on to Kelly, glad you enjoyed it.

All the animation was his. I did the UI, we met in the middle.

#24376 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

aurich now that things have cooled down and the pin has lost most of its toxicity - do you ever regret not keeping yours? or not playing it for awhile first? My guess is you’ll say no, but that is hard for me to believe on a gut level.

No, it was the right call. I’m really glad people enjoy it, but I would just see things that frustrated me.

If things had ended differently, and we could have kept working on the LCD say, and there was room to refine some things? Maybe I would have wanted that opportunity.

We did everything without access to the game, flying blind. Would have been nice to adjust things after being able to play. So in that sense the toxic part is gone enough to be able to think about that.

But just wasn’t a realistic outcome, we don’t own the code and approval process etc even if we were willing to work unpaid. So how it worked out is for the best.

Honestly having someone compliment the insert design is maybe the best thing I’ve heard yet though. Details like that I could control, the small things where I didn’t have to compromise are what I’m happiest with.

#24381 4 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

We had decentralized group management. Reasonable individuals working with mutual respect. Something dev teams dream of. I enjoyed the collaboration.

This right here, that was where the project was able to shine. I think the whole US team would be happy to work together again given the right circumstances.

Quoted from delt31:

I almost think the situation itself contributed to that in a weird way.

I honestly don't think so. We would have done more if we could, there wasn't any real "adversity breeds creativity" aspect to any of it. In the end what made our process a success is we just outlasted everyone else. As people dropped out in Europe because they weren't getting paid or they needed to go back to their home country or whatever was going on (we really had no idea) we just picked up the pieces they left and took ownership.

In the beginning Wales controlled the game rules. I was pretty determined to change that, because I firmly believe the programmers should be in charge of that stuff to get a good game. And in the the end that's what happened, and Joe and Brian were mostly free to make things feel right. I think in some ways I was the bolder jerk of the team (this will be a shock to everyone, I know), and more willing to just push for that stuff. I'm confident I was right though!

Give smart people the freedom to do good work. It's really not a hard concept, but man, it can be like pulling teeth to see it happen.

#24385 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Your biggest win on the game was changing the airlock to the 3rd LCD screen, imho

Yeah, the coffee can Queen was awful. Not Back Alley Matt's fault either, but the whole thing didn't work. That was actually one of my clues that the license was legit and not a made up story (we really were starting to wonder heh) because Fox gave Matt so much shit over the model, a lot of back and forth. There's no way anyone would fake that!

He wasn't happy with it, there were going to be issues getting it made in China, was just a general disaster. She was too small, the effect wasn't good, was just a fail.

And that's fine, the test is if you can fail and fix it, and luckily I was able to sell the LCD. Honestly everyone bitching about the round airlock and Queen helped me with that. So it just goes to show, bitching on Pinside does help!

We had some more plans for that LCD, but I dunno how much it really matters.

2 months later
#24761 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

For the Alien community! I was brave enough to pull the plastic backboard off. Going to Find a place they can scan it in.

That's going to look like shit FYI. I did the best I could with stills, but they're pretty low rez for print, and then they're converted from RGB to CMYK and dithered onto the plastic. A scan will look pretty iffy, and printing the result of that scan will be even worse.

Find a reputable shop that can print the plastics and will be willing to provide them anyone who wants to buy them and I'm sure there's a way the original file will surface.

#24783 4 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I only played it a few times at the Allentown shows but I definitely don’t remember Alien being a widebody game. Interesting...

Always has been, from day one, nothing interesting about it.

#24789 4 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

The design team begged for some spot lamps and flashers but they were never added. A strobe on the xenomorph as it extends and grabs the ball would have been awesome.

Yeah, to this day I still don't get that one.

#24813 4 years ago

Good idea. I always hated how those speaker mounts messed with the back lighting.

#24846 4 years ago

There is no source code for this game available, no one is recreating it from scratch either. The game is what it is. I dunno if it will ever be remade, I sure wouldn't put any money on a bet either way. But any fantasies about fans recreating it are just that, fantasies, it's 100% never gonna happen.

#24852 4 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

I think he was suggesting one of the game devs could leak the source code if they wanted.

Yes, we all got that, but professionals who spent years of their life working on something have more integrity than that. This isn't the same as people figuring out how to recreate some broken plastics.

#24860 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Given how Heighway treated them, I'm not sure that loyalty is warranted.

It's about being a professional. You don't release code you don't own. If nothing else it's a great way to tank your reputation and not get hired for other projects. Nobody wants the programmer who leaks all your stuff because they didn't like how they were treated.

Anyways, it's neither here nor there, it's not happening.

1 year later
#27978 3 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Oh yeah, thanks to the people who brought thier Alien pinball to the Lodi pinfest 2 years ago.
It was very generous and cool to let us all play such a rare game. I got to play 4 or five games on it.

Yes, that was very cool. I got a chance to talk with him, but I don't remember his name now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
762 posts in this topic match your search for posts by aurich. You are on page 4 of 4.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/4?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.