• 25,216 posts
  • 994 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by Averell
  • Topic is favorited by 267 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,924 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN6993 (resized).JPG
IMG_2514 (resized).jpeg
ALIEN-Knocker Assy - Bracket 2.pdf (PDF preview)
ALIEN_Knocker_Bracket-B.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
ALIEN - Logo Kassentür - LIMITED EDITION full.pdf (PDF preview)
ALIEN - Fuse List.pdf (PDF preview)
DSCN6994 (resized).JPG
DSCN6995 (resized).JPG
3100-A Beacon Light Series (resized).jpg
20190813_155912_zpsvfumxni0 (resized).JPG
Heighway Pinball Amplifier Settings.pdf (PDF preview)
DSCN6992 (resized).JPG
DSCN6991 (resized).JPG
321a (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 25216 posts in this topic. You are on page 498 of 505.
#24851 33 days ago
Quoted from bcd:

What Aurich said. The code is not open source and probably never will be. The idea of anyone attempting this is laughable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the game OS has a Linux foundation does it not?

#24852 33 days ago
Quoted from mavantix:

I think he was suggesting one of the game devs could leak the source code if they wanted.

Yes, we all got that, but professionals who spent years of their life working on something have more integrity than that. This isn't the same as people figuring out how to recreate some broken plastics.

#24853 33 days ago

Yeah, I get it... I don't get why they're even discussing recreating it on a different hardware platform. Even Heighway looked into that before their demise and realized how much work it'd be.

#24854 33 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Correct me if I'm wrong, the game OS has a Linux foundation does it not?

Yes, the O/S is a Linux variant of which parts are open source.. And that Open-Source O/S is running an application (the game) that is not Open-Source.

#24855 33 days ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Yeah, I get it... I don't get why they're even discussing recreating it on a different hardware platform. Even Heighway looked into that before their demise and realized how much work it'd be.

It would not be profitable for a company to make wholesale hardware changes midstream, a hobbyist with time on their hands is a different situation.

People said cracking a certain manufactures software for fuel injection wasn't possible either and yet I helped develop tools with a group of people to just do that. Made a nice living tuning cars and burning custom calibrations.

#24856 33 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

It would not be profitable for a company to make wholesale hardware changes midstream, a hobbyist with time on their hands is a different situation.
People said cracking a certain manufactures software for fuel injection wasn't possible either and yet I helped develop tools with a group of people to just do that. Made a nice living tuning cars and burning custom calibrations.

Academically speaking, it's "possible" for someone to recreate the game using P-ROC and the Peripheral boards. Here are some top of mind challenges..

While the playfields are available, people have re-created plastic sets, and the Weyland-Yutani team (myself, mavantix, etc.) have sourced replacement parts for many components.. there are still:

Ramps and Wireforms, Major Assemblies such as the Hypersleep lock and the skeleton of the alien head, Molded Plastics like the Alien Head and Jaw.

The playfield is built to work with Heighway proprietary pop bumpers and flippers (that pull in whole out from the playfield) so a drop-in replacement (WPC) could not be used and those would need to be fabricated.

The media files are compressed images and movies that are available openly on the O/S, however the game code/rules, etc. would have to be re-written and would be an "emulation".

In my limited experience with the alien code, the line between what hardware the game code controls and what hardware the hardware firmware controls is VERY blurry. So I don't believe "porting" alien code would be an easy feat..

#24857 33 days ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Academically speaking, it's "possible" for someone to recreate the game using P-ROC and the Peripheral boards. Here are some top of mind challenges..
While the playfields are available, people have re-created plastic sets, and the Weyland-Yutani team (myself, mavantix, etc.) have sourced replacement parts for many components.. there are still:
Ramps and Wireforms, Major Assemblies such as the Hypersleep lock and the skeleton of the alien head, Molded Plastics like the Alien Head and Jaw.
The playfield is built to work with Heighway proprietary pop bumpers and flippers (that pull in whole out from the playfield) so a drop-in replacement (WPC) could not be used and those would need to be fabricated.
The media files are compressed images and movies that are available openly on the O/S, however the game code/rules, etc. would have to be re-written and would be an "emulation".
In my limited experience with the alien code, the line between what hardware the game code controls and what hardware the hardware firmware controls is VERY blurry. So I don't believe "porting" alien code would be an easy feat..

Thank you for a concise answer! Just what I was looking for.

#24858 33 days ago

Let the game be as it is. It is good as it is now. It just wouldn't be right to start reinventing the game, because there is so much intellectual property from people who can't defend themselves anymore! Those who have such a device should be happy and those who broke it should go to hell!

#24859 33 days ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, we all got that, but professionals who spent years of their life working on something have more integrity than that.

Given how Heighway treated them, I'm not sure that loyalty is warranted. Plus, the company is long dead. Think of it like orphaned PC games.

#24860 33 days ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Given how Heighway treated them, I'm not sure that loyalty is warranted.

It's about being a professional. You don't release code you don't own. If nothing else it's a great way to tank your reputation and not get hired for other projects. Nobody wants the programmer who leaks all your stuff because they didn't like how they were treated.

Anyways, it's neither here nor there, it's not happening.

#24861 33 days ago

Today I received the panel prototypes and I did some improvement on them.
I wonder why left and right panel are not in the same position, they are nearly mirrored but they have different measurements and the holes for the pins at the left panel are 5 mm more to the left.
I hope that all the ALIEN are the same in that spot?

By the way, what are the two holes in the panels to the center are used for?

DSCN6925 (resized).JPG

DSCN6926 (resized).JPG

#24862 33 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

I wonder why left and right panel are not in the same position, they are nearly mirrored but they have different measurements and the holes for the pins at the left panel are 5 mm more to the left.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

doing gods work..

#24863 33 days ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's about being a professional. You don't release code you don't own. If nothing else it's a great way to tank your reputation and not get hired for other projects. Nobody wants the programmer who leaks all your stuff because they didn't like how they were treated.

I just want to strongly agree with what Aurich said. I can't and don't speak for anyone else on the team, but I was contracted to do coding for hire, that code to belong to Heighway Pinball, not me. Fortunately, eventually, I was paid the compensation that was promised (including a game). But even if I hadn't been paid, it would've been my own damn fault for continuing to do work when payments were in arrears... I wouldn't get to arbitrarily decide on some sort of vigilante justice. You know the cliche about two wrongs not making a right. AFAIK, Pinball Brothers is the owner of that IP now, so whether they choose to use that IP to make more Alien pins, sell it to another company, or print it on toilet paper, that's their choice, not mine or Brian's or Aurich's or David's or Kelly's.

#24864 33 days ago

Are we really at the point where we need to explain to fellow pinsiders why leaking of the alien code is beyond ridiculous? Really?

Let's talk about those new panel pieces! I would like to see those in action

#24865 33 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Are we really at the point where we need to explain to fellow pinsiders why leaking of the alien code is beyond ridiculous? Really?

I didn’t get the point either.

#24866 33 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Man, you hit the nail on the head w this comment!!!!!

Bring those acrylic speaker panels!!!!!

#24867 33 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I just want to strongly agree with what Aurich said. I can't and don't speak for anyone else on the team, but I was contracted to do coding for hire, that code to belong to Heighway Pinball, not me. Fortunately, eventually, I was paid the compensation that was promised (including a game). But even if I hadn't been paid, it would've been my own damn fault for continuing to do work when payments were in arrears... I wouldn't get to arbitrarily decide on some sort of vigilante justice. You know the cliche about two wrongs not making a right. AFAIK, Pinball Brothers is the owner of that IP now, so whether they choose to use that IP to make more Alien pins, sell it to another company, or print it on toilet paper, that's their choice, not mine or Brian's or Aurich's or David's or Kelly's.

And the voice of reason...thanks Joe.....spot on!!!!

#24868 33 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

And the voice of reason...thanks Joe.....spot on!!!!

Looking forward to see those panels installed !

#24869 33 days ago

Hey, I’d be in for those speaker panels if they become a product. Great idea.

#24870 33 days ago

I want a set of panels too.

QSS

#24871 33 days ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Now this is the good stuff. Thanks Gerry. So guys, who would we be talking to that was working with Heighway that might have access to said Source code.

Well, you might try to make an offer to the guy, Ferret and a few others who didnt get paid. A Big Offer.

#24872 33 days ago

Going to put this as concisely and diplomatically as possible:

No.

Sorry to sound like a moany old git - it's been brilliant watching the community come together and create workarounds for the existing machines, iron out the kinks, show the passion and the value they place in the game. The products developed for this purpose are nothing short of inspirational. Getting hold of an Alien that's already out there, no matter how used or how many better days it's seen, and doing whatever is needed to make it function, spruce it up, improve it as you see fit with whatever components or mods you can make or get, go nuts. Thumbs up from me. But as long as there is the SLIGHTEST chance that the game could come back for an official rerun, from whichever source might be willing to take it on, nobody is making their own 'new' unofficial version of the machine.

There has been a fair bit of misconception about what my 'official' position in the company actually was (as well as unhelpful responses along the lines of 'nobody owes you jack shit'), but this is the truth; there never *was* an official position under Andrew. He wouldn't give me one. He was notorious for not giving out contracts; neither was there ever any kind of 'gentlemen's agreement' between the two of us because his terms were, frankly, bullshit. I have it on record detailing all of this and stating flat out to his face, years down the line, that he still did not own any rights to any of my work as long as he was playing silly buggers with the company and with me, and refusing to offer any kind of 'security' at all. And this isn't just my position, it's also that of the taxman - the HMRC - and through which Pinball Brothers also had to accept when they took over; company assets did not include work that was not contracted for.

What happens in the future is up to them and who they may or may not be making dealings with - that's their business - but suffice to say that in the event of the however unlikely, they still have to deal properly through me for rights to use designs that are categorically and provably mine, and they accept that too. Which may amount to nothing at all - I'm not *that* naive - but even so, I have to cross my fingers and hold onto it with an iron grip. Anyone who had been put in this position would do the same.

#24873 33 days ago
Quoted from Averell:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I like your idea so I thought I’d try it with some crude material that I got from my local plastic store and I got it to work but I still see a line from the edge of the plastic not sure how yours look installed but pretty neat idea if you can just be made a little better than my crude approach.

518EA3E1-9B40-4D09-9AF3-D08B83ACA387 (resized).jpegEC6E7BFE-1F99-4FAB-9410-B8F27C37F14C (resized).jpeg
#24874 32 days ago

Good morning guys,

these panels are already working pretty well.
There is still room for improvement in manufacturing technology.
The holes for the speaker screws are slightly enlarged so that the original screws fit without the acrylic bursting or the screw tearing off.
The gluing of the parts needs to be done better so that there is a clearer picture.
The pins at the bottom are currently a problem, because the panels cannot be drilled mirror-inverted. The left side seems to be about 5 mm offset. If this is the case in all ALIEN, it wouldn't be a problem, but if the wood holder varies at the top, there might be problems with the fit at the bottom. The translite can't be shifted sideways, so the brackets should all be screwed into the same place?

Here's a result of the mounted panel on the left side in action.
You can see the glue is not really clear, I try to improve this but for the effect it's not a problem.
The original grill is also at it's place again.
The light is not complete in the Backbox because ALIEN is out of order, so I improvised with a fluorescent tube - it works.

DSCN6921 (resized).JPG

DSCN6918 (resized).JPG

DSCN6913 (resized).JPG

#24875 32 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Classic? The game has been out for what 2 years? Words having meaning, little early to be labeling it a classic.
Infamous maybe fits a touch better.

Given the many different pins I have played over the decades Alien is a classic IMO. How it was derived matters little.

#24876 32 days ago

Very nice work !
Maybe try some tape around the speaker cutout, the white light looks strange there. A green electrivcal tape should make the light "greenísh" ...

Looking forward !

Quoted from Averell:

Good morning guys,
these panels are already working pretty well.
There is still room for improvement in manufacturing technology.
The holes for the speaker screws are slightly enlarged so that the original screws fit without the acrylic bursting or the screw tearing off.
The gluing of the parts needs to be done better so that there is a clearer picture.
The pins at the bottom are currently a problem, because the panels cannot be drilled mirror-inverted. The left side seems to be about 5 mm offset. If this is the case in all ALIEN, it wouldn't be a problem, but if the wood holder varies at the top, there might be problems with the fit at the bottom. The translite can't be shifted sideways, so the brackets should all be screwed into the same place?
Here's a result of the mounted panel on the left side in action.
You can see the glue is not really clear, I try to improve this but for the effect it's not a problem.
The original grill is also at it's place again.
The light is not complete in the Backbox because ALIEN is out of order, so I improvised with a fluorescent tube - it works.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

#24877 32 days ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Well, you might try to make an offer to the guy, Ferret and a few others who didnt get paid. A Big Offer.

yeah... it was a joke.

No one is home brewing an Alien, especially not me. Everybody getting all cranky these days eh? I can’t solder, I’m certainly not building a home brew game. No need for everyone to get up in arms about it. Sheesh

I apologize for those that thought it was sincere.... I wouldn’t have the first clue. It’s just the best game I’ve played in pinball and I miss it. Nuff said.

#24878 32 days ago

My pinball tech replaced the io board and now my back two eggs are once again operational and also that g1 or whatever bulb. The eggs do flash randomly very very rarely but pretty much back to normal . I was hoping it would get rid of that left flipper beeping and the right flipper ball save flashing but nope

#24879 32 days ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

No one is home brewing an Alien, especially not me.

See what some of the amazingly talented people have done on this board I can't discount the possibility of it being done.

#24880 32 days ago
Quoted from megaladon:

For the Alien community! I was brave enough to pull the plastic backboard off. Going to Find a place they can scan it in. You can see where the corner right side is cracked maybe you can clean up digitally?[quoted image][quoted image]

Mhhh .. I have a file and I have a guy lasering PETG to help out with the backboard.
So you need one due its cracked ?
Or are there other pictures on some machines ? My Alien has exactly that backboard in.

Can someone provide the measurements ? I will not fiddel out my backboard ....

#24881 32 days ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Mhhh .. I have a file and I have a guy lasering PETG to help out with the backboard.
Or are there other pictures on some machines ? My Alien has exactly that backboard in.

Mine took a ball strike, top right, and broke a piece of the plexiglass as well ( EL paper was fine).

That thing is a PITA to remove, so I'm in the same boat...Only want to pull it once. Can try to confirm dimensions in the next few days.

Have never seen a file for the backboard ( files I sent you long ago don't contain them)...

#24882 32 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Mine took a ball strike, top right, and broke a piece of the plexiglass as well ( EL paper was fine).
That thing is a PITA to remove, so I'm in the same boat...Only want to pull it once. Can try to confirm dimensions in the next few days.
Have never seen a file for the backboard ( files I sent you long ago don't contain them)...

Guys...I have already taken this piece off and scanned it. I just have to get the time to go sit down with my production guy and try to get it squeezed into their busy schedule. Hang tight and I’ll get it for us. Mark, as you know , I’ve had it for a bit, just finding the time is killing me...lol

#24883 32 days ago

Is the most up to date code for Alien still ver 1.2?

#24884 32 days ago

Some news about the clear speaker panels.
I now have confirmation from three ALIEN owners and everyone has told me that the dimensions of the holders and the position of the pins are slightly different.
For manufacturing, this means that I omit the holes for the lower pins, which everyone then has to determine and re-drill on their own device.
The upper hole, where the holder is attached, has to be a slotted hole, so that the speakers can be moved to the left and right and centered exactly in the translite.

#24885 32 days ago
Quoted from TomDK:

OK correct me if I’m wrong here are the dimensions:

L: 22 and 7/8” basically 23”
W: 6”
Top edge down: 3/4”
Top edge in: 3/4”
Bottom edge down: 1 and 3/4”
Bottom edge in: 1 and 5/8”

A15EC5AF-B8AF-4747-B4C0-E2FF4E306E55 (resized).jpegC653BBEA-0D6A-4AB8-B747-8AB03D8AB9A9 (resized).jpeg
#24886 32 days ago

Here’s my approach to a cheaper solution until backboards get made! I started off as stainless steel but I like the black acrylic piece better

7F4123F8-8391-4ECE-AF11-E962ADD02580 (resized).jpeg
#24887 32 days ago

Just be careful with any back panel replacement that it isn't too thick or too tight, and ends up pressing against the back ball guide. That could affect the stability of your orbit shots.

#24888 31 days ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Guys...I have already taken this piece off and scanned it. I just have to get the time to go sit down with my production guy and try to get it squeezed into their busy schedule. Hang tight and I’ll get it for us. Mark, as you know , I’ve had it for a bit, just finding the time is killing me...lol

So than it is your turn ! Also shipping within the US and Canada would be cheaper than from EU.

megaladon : Thanks for measurements.

#24889 31 days ago

The sound on my Alien is incredible its even better or maybe its placebo, does that IO board that I swapped have anything to do with that?

#24890 31 days ago

I am also very much interested in that backboard panel. So if someone is going to produce it please let me know. Thanks!!

#24891 31 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

The sound on my Alien is incredible its even better or maybe its placebo, does that IO board that I swapped have anything to do with that?

I/O boards have nothing to do with game audio. The sound on Alien is always incredible, between decent sound hardware and David Thiel's INCREDIBLE audio work. If you haven't already, make sure to follow David's instructions for adjusting the amplifier to make the audio pop as much as possible.

#24892 31 days ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

[quoted image]

This post has the audio settings pdf for those interested

#24893 31 days ago

The machine has rewarded me for not abandoning it. Not often I get a score anywhere near this. thanks to Mark and Aaron and Bob for talking me off the ledge!

CC2CD5AA-B856-4BD8-9C0C-EED08214398A (resized).jpeg
#24894 31 days ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

The machine has rewarded me for not abandoning it. Not often I get a score anywhere near this. thanks to Mark and Aaron and Bob for talking me off the ledge![quoted image]

Great score, and you're welcome. The game is just too good, and there are zero guarantees that once the remorse set in (and it would) you could actually get another one. Mine is playing so well and reliably now...... Alienland is a great place to be!!!!....mark

#24895 31 days ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

The machine has rewarded me for not abandoning it. Not often I get a score anywhere near this. thanks to Mark and Aaron and Bob for talking me off the ledge![quoted image]

I'm glad to hear as well.

Here's my advice - completely disregard no worries but look at my history. I've sold a ton of games. A ton. I regretted one. Only one. To the point that I told myself if I ever have the opportunity to get another I would never sell it. I don't care if I lose all the money associated with it. I don't care

That game.

That game is Alien.

Unbelievable.

#24896 31 days ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

I thought my collection was complete and I’ll never get any new pin (not a fan of modern pins) and the only pinball which makes change my mind was ... Alien.

#24897 31 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm glad to hear as well.
Here's my advice - completely disregard no worries but look at my history. I've sold a ton of games. A ton. I regretted one. Only one. To the point that I told myself if I ever have the opportunity to get another I would never sell it. I don't care if I lose all the money associated with it. I don't care
That game.
That game is Alien.
Unbelievable.

AND...He never changed his avatar through it all...Had a million chances...

#24898 31 days ago

Wow guys! Thank you so much!

#24899 30 days ago

The final tests are done.
This is what it looks like now, when the acrylic glass panels are installed.
Please consider that the LED-stripe must be laid differently so that the translite is optimally illuminated.

DSCN6931 (resized).JPG

DSCN6937 (resized).JPG

#24900 30 days ago

At home, in France, they have not yet understood that it was a pinball of great quality and extraordinary. it's a great game, with an interesting story, and an amazing community, I've never seen that before in the pinball community.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Göteborg, VäSTRA GöTALANDS LäN
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
$ 399.95
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
16,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Middleborough, MA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 25216 posts in this topic. You are on page 498 of 505.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside