DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 488 of 601.
#24351 4 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Art as Shown by Andrew for Alien day intended for the LE’s to ship with

It's almost like you haven't figured out that Andrew said a lot of things, before he was forced out of his own company. I just explained the entire story above, that video is meaningless.

Alien "LEs" are basically meaningless too. Don't lose sleep over it. If you like your 35th side art then enjoy it.

#24352 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think at the time I said something like in a 10 minute call I got more done than in 3 years of back and forth BS with the UK heh. That's honestly my number one regret about this entire thing, Andrew refused to let me talk directly to Fox. I had no contacts, couldn't do a thing. So much nonsense could have potentially been avoided.
I don't think it was a stall tactic honestly, I think he was just a control freak. He couldn't stand the idea of not being the only person talking to them. Which was just so dumb, because working on pinball art is some side hobby stuff for me, working with big companies and agencies like that is my actual bread and butter career, I've been doing this for decades now. You're not going to lose your big license because dummy Aurich couldn't handle a phone meeting or an email. I'm pretty good at my job actually, heh.
I honestly suspect that Fox would have been very cool to work with in the end, it was ridiculously easy to handle that LE art approval. Ah well.

Agreed....by that time, however (years had passed), it was hard to know what was truth or not from over there. He definitely went for the big cash grabs right before the others outed him, and would say, show anything just to raise bank. I was hanging on by a thread, ultimately quitting my "membership" in the club, believing like many I'd never own one. I was extremely lucky.

Think the entire US team actually saved (and continue to preserve) what crossed the line as an amazing game.....

#24353 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's almost like you haven't figured out that Andrew said a lot of things, before he was forced out of his own company. I just explained the entire story above, that video is meaningless.
Alien "LEs" are basically meaningless too. Don't lose sleep over it. If you like your 35th side art then enjoy it.

Pinside Rule #1 Be Nice

#24354 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've always considered this "LE" to mean "Last Edition"...

Mine is staying as I really do enjoy it (plays like nothing else I've touched), and that's all that really matters in the end....

#24355 4 years ago

Pinside Rule #1 Be Nice

I don't think the comment was made to be mean, just more of a recap/ summary of the past. It was a rough ride (as you know)...just my take....

"is what it is"......think I'll wire my coin slot light tomorrow.....

#24356 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I've always considered this "LE" to mean "Last Edition"...
Mine is staying as I really do enjoy it (plays like nothing else I've touched), and that's all that really matters in the end....

Agreed, the game is great for sure!

Full Throttle is also alot of fun too (Abeit a theme nobody really wanted)
BCD (Brian) ( a good friend) did a great Job on the software too on FullT

He and Ferret and David T knocked it outta the park for Alien

#24357 4 years ago

Agreed, the game is great for sure!
Full Throttle is also alot of fun too (Abeit a theme nobody really wanted)
BCD (Brian) ( a good friend) did a great Job on the software too on FullT

No doubt!!!!!!

#24358 4 years ago

Pinside Rule #1 Be Nice

I have nothing nice to say about Andrew.

Don't be so sensitive, nobody cares about what side art you have on your game. Enjoy it if it makes you happy.

#24359 4 years ago

Someone posted this cool side by side Backglass a while back....
Cool to see both styles

CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).pngCE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
#24360 4 years ago

Please don't forget Kelly Mazurowski, who IMHO did an absolutely stellar job with the video assets in the game.

(I'm just presuming I don't need to similarly mention Aurich, since he's RIGHT HERE... )

#24361 4 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

From what I understand is they only light with the factory wires when it's set to take coins not free play...Any LED mods I add to any of my machines are ran on aftermarket 12volt power supply I add inside the cabinet...usually i use a 12volt 5Amp power supply to run all my lights..that way i am never adding any load to the factory 12volt power supply...just what i have always done for piece of mind

You're right - when I changed from free to play the light worked. Weird

Ferret Anyway to get that coin door light to work on free play? would like to use it but also not have to pump quaters into the game.

#24362 4 years ago

The LE Art that the Game was supposed to ship with stated 35th Anniversary Edition and was supposed to come with the Brian Allen Backglass
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for the info. I’ve read it even if I’ve still need to catch up. Both looks good but I prefer the one on the left (from the pic with 2 side by side). The right one look too cartoonish for me but it’s only my opinion. I guess the side panel info is lost and buried. Maybe one day it’ll come up for sale we never know.

#24363 4 years ago

You can throw 50 credits on from the coin door. That should take you a while to rip through them while waiting for a solution.

Quoted from delt31:

You're right - when I changed from free to play the light worked. Weird
ferret Anyway to get that coin door light to work on free play? would like to use it but also not have to pump quaters into the game.

#24364 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

You can throw 50 credits on from the coin door. That should take you a while to rip through them while waiting for a solution.

That's probably the best solution. There's no way to get the light on in free play mode.

Max credits is 10 by default, but you can increase it to 99 in the adjustments.

#24365 4 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

That's probably the best solution. There's no way to get the light on in free play mode.
Max credits is 10 by default, but you can increase it to 99 in the adjustments.

Ok problem is I don't have a coin register behind the door nothing to wire up to count credits unless I can fool it somehow

Also is it ok to increase brightness now as I remember old code if you change brightness it would reset or cause problems

#24366 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm sure I've posted this before, but this was my original LE backglass design that was done with 'approved' assets, which at the time I was told was the only way to do things. I guess Andrew didn't like it, and I said well, I dunno what else to do, you've locked me into a box with what I'm allowed to use, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here, I've wrung all the blood from these stones I can. And at this point we're years in and I'm sick of his shit and spending all this unpaid time on the game. So that's when he went to Brian and had him redraw my design. Suddenly hand drawn art was kosher I guess, I dunno, fuck Andrew and his lies.
Anyways, then the call went to not have a non-LCD version, and this one never came out either, just the rework to fit the screen.
[quoted image]

That backglass art so much better..

#24367 4 years ago

Someone posted this cool side by side Backglass a while back....
Cool to see both styles
[quoted image]

Lol. See my comment above. Andrew must have a screw loose to choose right over left.

#24368 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

That backglass art so much better..

Agreed, and thankfully, they used Aurichs version ( left) on the LE's , w text changed as he mentioned...

Bam!!...Lit the coin slot..Just grabbed 12v off the PS and disconnected the harness ( 12v bulb, obviously)

IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpgIMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
#24369 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed, and thankfully, they used Aurichs version ( left) on the LE's , w text changed as he mentioned...
Bam!!...Lit the coin slot..Just grabbed 12v off the PS and disconnected the harness ( 12v bulb, obviously)[quoted image]

That under cabinet green lighting is pretty cool, can you tell me which item/product you got for that?
Thanks

#24370 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Bam!!...Lit the coin slot..Just grabbed 12v off the PS and disconnected the harness ( 12v bulb, obviously)[quoted image]

The room looks great. Congrat.

#24371 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

That under cabinet green lighting is pretty cool, can you tell me which item/product you got for that?
Thanks

Quoted from noitbe1:

The room looks great. Congrat.

Thanks..the room(s) are pretty cool when all fired up...great way to unwind...I'll probably update my gameroom pics after my HEP TZ makes it back in a couple weeks.

I buy the LED strips (5050's) in bulk from china (couple rolls each color)...dirt cheap and arrive amazingly fast, then just make them to length. decided to not do the backbox in alien, as I really like how the screen jumps at you during gameplay. Undercab pulses, btw..makes this game very "alive"..kinda scary...

Dimmable strip lighting overhead, so I can put just the right amount of light I desire on the game, without washing it (WOZECLE needs just a bit, as well)

#24372 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Please don't forget Kelly Mazurowski, who IMHO did an absolutely stellar job with the video assets in the game.

I'd like to back this up - finally got to play an Alien today at the VFW and the screen graphics are easily, without question, the best I've ever seen on a pinball machine. Absolutely everything about them are amazing - the video integration, the information display, the typefaces, the colour selections. Everything is crisp, clear, obvious. The tone is perfect, fitting the theme perfectly. I simply cannot say enough good things about it and every existing pinball company should look long and hard at it as the reference standard.

Also, the playfield art is really good, too, especially the insert design. It really works and fits the tone well. The cliche "world under glass" is like nails on a chalkboard but I'm not really sure how else to describe it.

Too bad Andrew was an idiot. Once the bugs were worked out this game would have been a smash hit homerun.

#24373 4 years ago

I’ll pass that on to Kelly, glad you enjoyed it.

All the animation was his. I did the UI, we met in the middle.

#24374 4 years ago

Aurich now that things have cooled down and the pin has lost most of its toxicity - do you ever regret not keeping yours? or not playing it for awhile first? My guess is you’ll say no, but that is hard for me to believe on a gut level.

#24375 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

aurich now that things have cooled down and the pin has lost most of its toxicity - do you ever regret not keeping yours? or not playing it for awhile first? My guess is you’ll say no, but that is hard for me to believe on a gut level.

On my side I’ve waited the things to cool down and bought mine. So glad I did. For the non pinheads friends, that’s by far the most impressive pin (for me too in fact)

#24376 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

aurich now that things have cooled down and the pin has lost most of its toxicity - do you ever regret not keeping yours? or not playing it for awhile first? My guess is you’ll say no, but that is hard for me to believe on a gut level.

No, it was the right call. I’m really glad people enjoy it, but I would just see things that frustrated me.

If things had ended differently, and we could have kept working on the LCD say, and there was room to refine some things? Maybe I would have wanted that opportunity.

We did everything without access to the game, flying blind. Would have been nice to adjust things after being able to play. So in that sense the toxic part is gone enough to be able to think about that.

But just wasn’t a realistic outcome, we don’t own the code and approval process etc even if we were willing to work unpaid. So how it worked out is for the best.

Honestly having someone compliment the insert design is maybe the best thing I’ve heard yet though. Details like that I could control, the small things where I didn’t have to compromise are what I’m happiest with.

#24377 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm sure I've posted this before, but this was my original LE backglass design that was done with 'approved' assets, which at the time I was told was the only way to do things. I guess Andrew didn't like it, and I said well, I dunno what else to do, you've locked me into a box with what I'm allowed to use, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here, I've wrung all the blood from these stones I can. And at this point we're years in and I'm sick of his shit and spending all this unpaid time on the game. So that's when he went to Brian and had him redraw my design. Suddenly hand drawn art was kosher I guess, I dunno, fuck Andrew and his lies.
Anyways, then the call went to not have a non-LCD version, and this one never came out either, just the rework to fit the screen.
[quoted image]

I think this looks awesome

#24378 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No, it was the right call. I’m really glad people enjoy it, but I would just see things that frustrated me.
If things has ended differently, and we could have kept working on the LCD say, and there was room to refine some things? Maybe I would have wanted that opportunity.
We did everything without access to the game, flying blind. Would have been nice to adjust things after being able to play. So in that sense the toxic part is gone enough to be able to think about that.
But just wasn’t a realistic outcome, we don’t own the code and approval process etc even if we were willing to work unpaid. So how it worked out is for the best.
Honestly having someone compliment the insert design is maybe the best thing I’ve heard yet though. Details like that I could control, the small things where I didn’t have to compromise are what I’m happiest with.

It's amazing to hear how things were so chaotic yet you guys produced a Pinball masterpiece. I almost think the situation itself contributed to that in a weird way.

#24379 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I almost think the situation itself contributed to that in a weird way.

The US team was good at overcoming the obstacles. Armed with fully functional machines at month four instead of month sixteen I can only imagine what we could have done. But we did what we could under the circumstances and I'm proud of what we managed to do.

We had decentralized group management. Reasonable individuals working with mutual respect. Something dev teams dream of. I enjoyed the collaboration.

With Team Alien US being five to eight time zones away from the factory we didn't have a grasp of just how bad it was over there so we forged ahead.

ddt

#24380 4 years ago

Could someone show/tell me where the leds for the back box go in the connector to the main harness? Had some issues and now trying to fix the issue. Thanks!

#24381 4 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

We had decentralized group management. Reasonable individuals working with mutual respect. Something dev teams dream of. I enjoyed the collaboration.

This right here, that was where the project was able to shine. I think the whole US team would be happy to work together again given the right circumstances.

Quoted from delt31:

I almost think the situation itself contributed to that in a weird way.

I honestly don't think so. We would have done more if we could, there wasn't any real "adversity breeds creativity" aspect to any of it. In the end what made our process a success is we just outlasted everyone else. As people dropped out in Europe because they weren't getting paid or they needed to go back to their home country or whatever was going on (we really had no idea) we just picked up the pieces they left and took ownership.

In the beginning Wales controlled the game rules. I was pretty determined to change that, because I firmly believe the programmers should be in charge of that stuff to get a good game. And in the the end that's what happened, and Joe and Brian were mostly free to make things feel right. I think in some ways I was the bolder jerk of the team (this will be a shock to everyone, I know), and more willing to just push for that stuff. I'm confident I was right though!

Give smart people the freedom to do good work. It's really not a hard concept, but man, it can be like pulling teeth to see it happen.

#24382 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'd like to back this up - finally got to play an Alien today at the VFW and the screen graphics are easily, without question, the best I've ever seen on a pinball machine. Absolutely everything about them are amazing - the video integration, the information display, the typefaces, the colour selections. Everything is crisp, clear, obvious. The tone is perfect, fitting the theme perfectly. I simply cannot say enough good things about it and every existing pinball company should look long and hard at it as the reference standard.
Also, the playfield art is really good, too, especially the insert design. It really works and fits the tone well. The cliche "world under glass" is like nails on a chalkboard but I'm not really sure how else to describe it.
Too bad Andrew was an idiot. Once the bugs were worked out this game would have been a smash hit homerun.

Couldn't agree more...my standard (overused) expression when it's relative in a thread.."I love my entire lineup...and then there's Alien" Nothing touches this game...period...

#24383 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Honestly having someone compliment the insert design is maybe the best thing I’ve heard yet though.

I love the insert design! It’s one of the first thing that anybody comments on when game is powered up.

Quoted from daudioguy:

But we did what we could under the circumstances and I'm proud of what we managed to do.

And I love the audio! An amazing choreography package!

Quoted from MK6PIN:

I love my entire lineup...and then there's Alien

Yep

#24384 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This right here, that was where the project was able to shine. I think the whole US team would be happy to work together again given the right circumstances.

I honestly don't think so. We would have done more if we could, there wasn't any real "adversity breeds creativity" aspect to any of it. In the end what made our process a success is we just outlasted everyone else. As people dropped out in Europe because they weren't getting paid or they needed to go back to their home country or whatever was going on (we really had no idea) we just picked up the pieces they left and took ownership.
In the beginning Wales controlled the game rules. I was pretty determined to change that, because I firmly believe the programmers should be in charge of that stuff to get a good game. And in the the end that's what happened, and Joe and Brian were mostly free to make things feel right. I think in some ways I was the bolder jerk of the team (this will be a shock to everyone, I know), and more willing to just push for that stuff. I'm confident I was right though!
Give smart people the freedom to do good work. It's really not a hard concept, but man, it can be like pulling teeth to see it happen.

Your biggest win on the game was changing the airlock to the 3rd LCD screen, imho...I remember you talking about it at the reveal (TP @ CPE)...huge upfit
After (trying) to play the original, and now having my LE, the game matured incredibly fast. More polish and some bug stuff? sure..deadly as is?...definitely...

#24385 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Your biggest win on the game was changing the airlock to the 3rd LCD screen, imho

Yeah, the coffee can Queen was awful. Not Back Alley Matt's fault either, but the whole thing didn't work. That was actually one of my clues that the license was legit and not a made up story (we really were starting to wonder heh) because Fox gave Matt so much shit over the model, a lot of back and forth. There's no way anyone would fake that!

He wasn't happy with it, there were going to be issues getting it made in China, was just a general disaster. She was too small, the effect wasn't good, was just a fail.

And that's fine, the test is if you can fail and fix it, and luckily I was able to sell the LCD. Honestly everyone bitching about the round airlock and Queen helped me with that. So it just goes to show, bitching on Pinside does help!

We had some more plans for that LCD, but I dunno how much it really matters.

#24386 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

We had some more plans for that LCD, but I dunno how much it really matters.

That's what I had referred to as "unused video assets" for a potential home use code drop. I think Kelly had mentioned some time back he wished he could have incorporated more of his video ideas...as is it's unmatched in pinball world.

Not many of these things even live, but quite sure there would be support (fiscal and other) to pursue. I'd be way in.....

#24387 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That's what I had referred to as "unused video assets" for a potential home use code drop. I think Kelly had mentioned some time back he wished he could have incorporated more of his video ideas...as is it's unmatched in pinball world.
Not many of these things even live, but quite sure there would be support (fiscal and other) to pursue. I'd be way in.....

I'd be in for that as well.

QSS

#24388 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, the coffee can Queen was awful. Not Back Alley Matt's fault either, but the whole thing didn't work.
He wasn't happy with it, there were going to be issues getting it made in China, was just a general disaster. She was too small, the effect wasn't good, was just a fail.
And that's fine, the test is if you can fail and fix it, and luckily I was able to sell the LCD.

The coffee can ("Alien chamber" as I referred to it in the code) was a prime example of the frustration of not having a physical game in front of me to work on. I did all of the programming on the can with almost zero information about how it was constructed - no motor specs, no sensor placement data, and no pictures of it. One of the earliest complaints was that the wiring harness would eventually come apart after extended use - I had no idea how the cables were even mounted. The code was almost completely lifted from the Valentino mechanism on Full Throttle, but the mech wasn't the same, so of course it didn't work.

I could tell similar stories about the lockup and the magnetic tongue. Thankfully I eventually got my game and was able to get those working pretty well in the last code release.

I supported the change to the LCD mainly because I knew that it would give the programmers more control of the situation, and it did.

#24389 4 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

The coffee can ("Alien chamber" as I referred to it in the code) was a prime example of the frustration of not having a physical game in front of me to work on. I did all of the programming on the can with almost zero information about how it was constructed - no motor specs, no sensor placement data, and no pictures of it. One of the earliest complaints was that the wiring harness would eventually come apart after extended use - I had no idea how the cables were even mounted. The code was almost completely lifted from the Valentino mechanism on Full Throttle, but the mech wasn't the same, so of course it didn't work.
I could tell similar stories about the lockup and the magnetic tongue. Thankfully I eventually got my game and was able to get those working pretty well in the last code release.
I supported the change to the LCD mainly because I knew that it would give the programmers more control of the situation, and it did.

Can I ask what the last code release was?

#24390 4 years ago

Well, got my alien yesterday. It is in the garage for the moment. Had an interesting time looking at it though. We fired it up, fan was making a lot of noise that I will have to look into. Try and play a ball and first thing I do is put it in the saucer on the left. Game doesn't register it and won't kick it out. Game wasn't registering a lot of things and numerous coils were out. Look it over, reboot it, works fine. Anyone run into that before?

Need to get the plastic that covers the back of the playfield, mine has a break. Also need a new magnet core as this one is worn. Any parts I should try and stock up on? Need to figure out how to convert this to work above .94 code. I know the lightboards. I need to check the io boards. This game is full throttle number 100. Not sure how many aliens got out without an alien serial.

#24391 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Well, got my alien yesterday. It is in the garage for the moment. Had an interesting time looking at it though. We fired it up, fan was making a lot of noise that I will have to look into. Try and play a ball and first thing I do is put it in the saucer on the left. Game doesn't register it and won't kick it out. Game wasn't registering a lot of things and numerous coils were out. Look it over, reboot it, works fine. Anyone run into that before?
Need to get the plastic that covers the back of the playfield, mine has a break. Also need a new magnet core as this one is worn. Any parts I should try and stock up on? Need to figure out how to convert this to work above .94 code. I know the lightboards. I need to check the io boards. This game is full throttle number 100. Not sure how many aliens got out without an alien serial.

Is it a NIB or did you buy it second hand?
Just curious. I had a second hand SE, the guy who was previous owner did a hack job, took a lot of my time to clean things up.

#24392 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Is it a NIB or did you buy it second hand?
Just curious. I had a second hand SE, the guy who was previous owner did a hack job, took a lot of my time to clean things up.

Third owner.

#24393 4 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Could someone show/tell me where the leds for the back box go in the connector to the main harness? Had some issues and now trying to fix the issue. Thanks!

Anyone?

#24394 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Need to figure out how to convert this to work above .94 code. I know the lightboards. I need to check the io boards.

Congrats on getting an Alien Dung. You will most certainly want to follow this thread, as they document the process of bringing a pre-production game such as yours up to the specs needed to run new code. BTW - it's not a simple change, and will require many new parts.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive

Quoted from dung:

This game is full throttle number 100. Not sure how many aliens got out without an alien serial.

Just FYI - at TPF in 2017, I purchased a pre-production Alien with Full Throttle serial number 108. I documented my entire almost 2 year saga with Heighway and Cointaker trying to get updated parts/machine. Cointaker did come through for me, and I did finally get a replacement, true production machine at TPF 2018. http://www.bradberryman.com/Pinball_Alien_2018.html

#24395 4 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Congrats on getting an Alien Dung. You will most certainly want to follow this thread, as they document the process of bringing a pre-production game such as yours up to the specs needed to run new code. BTW - it's not a simple change, and will require many new parts.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive

Just FYI - at TPF in 2017, I purchased a pre-production Alien with Full Throttle serial number 108. I documented my entire almost 2 year saga with Heighway and Cointaker trying to get updated parts/machine. Cointaker did come through for me, and I did finally get a replacement, true production machine at TPF 2018. http://www.bradberryman.com/Pinball_Alien_2018.html

Thanks for the info. Guess mine is a bit earlier. It does at least have the xeno, although I am told the tongue does not always retract. I remember that thread and had been looking for it.

I guess I need to go home and start looking to see just how bad the bill will be to upgrade everything. Looks like the most difficult will be upgrading the xeno head unless I want to shell out 400 bucks for a new one.

#24396 4 years ago

Alright, game is setup. Let the headaches begin.

It is running version .94.
I have at least 10 leds out. At least 4 switches. I can start investigating those at some point.

Now the fun stuff.
It is on free play, but requires credits to play, guessing upgrading the code should fix that?
The game freezes on the skillshot quite often and requires rebooting.
The main display is showing the small display on the right side. This just started and doesn't do it every time you turn it on.
The xenomorph locks its jaw open while booting. I disabled it in software so after booting it stops where as before it just made a horrible noise the whole time.

It has red io boards 1.4b assuming these have to be upgraded. That is a cool 1k :/
It has the old computer so I will order a new one 240 there.
The xeno has a metal gear for the jaw which surprised me. Have not seen the stepper motor yet guessing it is the old style?
Need the back right plastic.
Need the leds replaced to the new style.

Hopefully I can get it to play correctly before I make the call on upgrading it. Do like the theme integration so far, but with so many switches out and it freezing 50 percent of the time its not much fun.

#24397 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I have at least 10 leds out. At least 4 switches. I can start investigating those at some point.
Now the fun stuff.
It is on free play, but requires credits to play, guessing upgrading the code should fix that?
The main display is showing the small display on the right side. This just started and doesn't do it every time you turn it on.
The xenomorph locks its jaw open while booting. I disabled it in software so after booting it stops where as before it just made a horrible noise the whole time.
It has red io boards 1.4b assuming these have to be upgraded. That is a cool 1k :/
The xeno has a metal gear for the jaw which surprised me. Have not seen the stepper motor yet guessing it is the old style?
Hopefully I can get it to play correctly before I make the call on upgrading it. Do like the theme integration so far, but with so many switches out and it freezing 50 percent of the time its not much fun.

Wow. I’m still a newbye here and I was lucky with a more recent version but before even considering changing the IO boards I would start to investigate how to catch up to 1.2 by changing LED and computer. Not sure if the IO board has to be changed as well. Inside the Xeno, there is a plastic motor wheel to change I think too for the early version. The servo motor for the jaw too by a letal one(this one is cheap)
Anyway Spend time reading the other thread which explain everything. This game deserve time and worth it. The 1.2 version with everything upgrated is pretty solid. Mine has been played a lot already.
Good luck.

#24398 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Now the fun stuff.

I sure hope the previous owner told you about these issues. If not, out them. I would love,to have an Alien someday....

#24399 4 years ago

No worries, putting the time and effort into it will be worth it! Congrats!!

#24400 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Now the fun stuff.

The 10+ LEDs may or may not be truly out. These are on a serial chain, so if one lamp fails, it takes out all the lamps downstream on that same chain. The chains are identified in the Lamp test with a designation like "2B4" -- that's I/O board 2, chain B, lamp 4. So for example, if you walk through the lamp test and find that 2B4 and all the following 2Bx lamps are inoperative, suspect that 2B4 or 2B3 is problematic, which could mean an actual failed lamp, or just that it's not firmly seated in its socket. Fortunately, if a lamp(s) are actually faulty, TimeBandit has produced replacements. These will also help with replacing your 5-element GI towers with individual lamps when you're ready to try moving to newer code.

I/O boards are probably fine. I wouldn't jump into replacing them.

You don't even necessarily need the new computer. Although we didn't do tons of testing with the production code builds on the older computers, there isn't much end-user difference between the PCs. The change was more about pricing and availability.

The thread that SunKing mentioned is long, but has tons of incredibly useful, detailed information by the cool cats who successfully revitalized machines similar to yours. Grab your favorite beverage and settle in for the read.

Good luck with your new game... you've surely got some work ahead, but hopefully it winds up being a game that you love.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 488 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/488?hl=apinballwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.