• 24,458 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 263 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24458 posts in this topic. You are on page 486 of 490.
#24251 35 days ago

yesterday got two balls in the airlock and took about 2 minutes of continuous ejecting for them to finally come out. Never had that happen before, must have been the angle they were sitting in there.

#24252 35 days ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

yesterday got two balls in the airlock and took about 2 minutes of continuous ejecting for them to finally come out. Never had that happen before, must have been the angle they were sitting in there.

What version of software are you running?

#24253 35 days ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

What version of software are you running?

#24254 34 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Congrats? Another pinsider selling or somewhere else?

Another pinsider who has been super awesome contacted me as he has a spare LE (I can't fathom having two of these at one time...unreal). I'll definitely be reading back through all of these posts. My must-have pinball lineup will be complete once I finalize the deal and get it here...no more pins for a bit (I hope).

#24255 34 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Content and resolution play a big part in the difference...you can tell Alien video had genuine studio elements to it...REALLY hope a home code rev eventually materializes that uses even more of what they had.

Don't hold your breath for this. There is no unused work that didn't get put into the game, video wise, and it's pretty unlikely any of us will create more. Game is what it is.

#24256 34 days ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Don't hold your breath for this. There is no unused work that didn't get put into the game, video wise, and it's pretty unlikely any of us will create more. Game is what it is.

Either way game is what it is and it is special

#24257 34 days ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

My must-have pinball lineup will be complete once I finalize the deal and get it here...no more pins for a bit (I hope).

Never say "never" or "final" - just not in our vocabulary

#24258 34 days ago

They must have been wedged in an odd way. 1.2 added extra power to the coil during retries, so it eventually kicks 50% harder than normal. Never seen that happen before.

#24259 34 days ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Forgot I finally got a few toys installed also
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hey man, stop copying me. Just kidding, glad I could indpire you.

#24260 34 days ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Still breathing, just dreaming ....thought there was mention back deeper in the thread that there was some unused video...could have been bourbon night when I read it...

#24261 34 days ago

Hello all
I feel the flippers weak a bit on my alien. I m thinking it could come from sag or lack of power.
Sometimes, during long play it could happen that one don’t move for a sec.

I’m thinking changing my power supply, this one is elligable (thanks mk6 for that) for the 12V version but it’s 80W. I wonder if it’s a bit too much or it could blow some fuse or else.

http://www.meanwellusa.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=HRPG-1000

Does some of you change their PS? Do you have any advice for this. I don’t want to create new problems on trying to fix one. Thanks in advance

#24262 34 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Hello all
I feel the flippers weak a bit on my alien. I m thinking it could come from sag or lack of power.
I’m thinking changing my power supply, this one is elligable (thanks mk6 for that) for the 12V version but it’s 80W. I wonder if it’s a bit too much or it could blow some fuse or else.
Does some of you change their PS? Do you have any advice for this. I don’t want to create new problems on trying to fix one. Thanks in advance

Interesting bc I had the complete opposite reaction. I've actually reduced the power of all the flippers bc they were too strong

I can check under the hood if that helps.

#24263 34 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

Interesting bc I had the complete opposite reaction. I've actually reduced the power of all the flippers bc they were too strong
I can check under the hood if that helps.

Did you change your PS? I’m not sure regarding my analysis. Just the flippers doesn’t respond time to time so my guess that it was a lack of power but I could be wrong... that’s why I’m asking also

#24264 34 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Hello all

I still am not the best at using pinside (unable to link a post here), but there is post #697 in the support thread for both Alien and FT, that discusses weak flippers and a solution. I have yet to implement these changes but it's on the priority list somewhere. Hope this helps.

#24265 34 days ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

I still am not the best at using pinside (unable to link a post here), but there is post #697 in the support thread for both Alien and FT, that discusses weak flippers and a solution. I have yet to implement these changes but it's on the priority list somewhere. Hope this helps.

Hi. Yes thanks. I’ve order my caps already and waiting for them. Seems to be the thing to do. The PS has been discussed and to be maybe replaced also because of the lack of power it could provide, i may be wrong but I was asking for advice for this too since it’s an easy change.

#24266 34 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Hello all

(2x) things :

a) Flipper/ coil VOLTAGE is not the issue, it's the existing switching PS to keep a constant 70v supply at proper current during MB action. This can be cured with existing P/S (70v, not the 12v one) w kneissl recommended cap mod. An absolute must for all games.. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/14#post-4579625

b) On to the 12v P/S (right in front of 70v one) - factory version is a mere 12.5a @12vdc. Considering CPU, all video screens, rgb lighting, EL invertor and a variety of components run from it, the low amperage can (and will) cause hard reboots w the CPU, and some odd video reaction as the supply sags. The HRPG-1000-12 that I recommended and installed in my game - http://www.meanwellusa.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=HRPG-1000, has 80 amps available @ 12vdc. Granted, a bit of overkill, however, I also run full LED underglow strips, and a couple other things.

Have not had a single reset or video weirdness since installing, and the extra amperage will do no harm (in fact, ensuring no 12v sags). Given there is no (known) manual for this machine, had no way to know what it actually pulls on the 12v side, amperage wise. The machine doesn't even blink an eye now...suspect a 40a version would suffice, but this one put a permanent stop to the power needs, and easy to find. It will live a very long, untaxed life.

I've put similar horsepower in a few of my games that needed it, and ALL my machines get p/s boost at least 7.5a on the 12v and 5v side to insure stability w the mods (color DMD, light strips, toppers, etc.). These game ps's in general are just not made for all the power some of these mods suck out of them.

Learned my lesson, and highly encourage pursuing "a)" and "b)" above....

#24267 34 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Hi. Yes thanks. I’ve order my caps already and waiting for them. Seems to be the thing to do. The PS has been discussed and to be maybe replaced also because of the lack of power it could provide, i may be wrong but I was asking for advice for this too since it’s an easy change.

Yes.....

#24268 34 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

(2x) things :
a) Flipper/ coil VOLTAGE is not the issue, it's the existing switching PS to keep a constant 70v supply at proper current during MB action. This can be cured with existing P/S (70v, not the 12v one) w kneissl recommended cap mod. An absolute must for all games.. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/14#post-4579625
b) On to the 12v P/S (right in front of 70v one) - factory version is a mere 12.5a @12vdc. Considering CPU, all video screens, rgb lighting, EL invertor and a variety of components run from it, the low amperage can (and will) cause hard reboots w the CPU, and some odd video reaction as the supply sags. The HRPG-1000-12 that I recommended and installed in my game - http://www.meanwellusa.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=HRPG-1000, has 80 amps available @ 12vdc. Granted, a bit of overkill, however, I also run full LED underglow strips, and a couple other things.
Have not had a single reset or video weirdness since installing, and the extra amperage will do no harm (in fact, ensuring no 12v sags). Given there is no (known) manual for this machine, had no way to know what it actually pulls on the 12v side, amperage wise. The machine doesn't even blink an eye now...suspect a 40a version would suffice, but this one put a permanent stop to the power needs, and easy to find. It will live a very long, untaxed life.
I've put similar horsepower in a few of my games that needed it, and ALL my machines get p/s boost at least 7.5a on the 12v and 5v side to insure stability w the mods (color DMD, light strips, toppers, etc.). These game ps's in general are just not made for all the power some of these mods suck out of them.
Learned my lesson, and highly encourage pursuing "a)" and "b)" above....

Thanks for this clarification !

#24269 34 days ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Thanks for this clarification !

If you haven't bought the 12v supply yet, this one has over twice the power of the original:

http://www.meanwellusa.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=HRPG-450

(12v version) I'm sure it will be plenty...

#24270 34 days ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Hey man, stop copying me. Just kidding, glad I could indpire you.

Lol thanks man for letting me know where to get the toys now it's your turn, you got a lotta black powder coating work, replacing non matching button color work and of course LED work to put on to catch up to my chaos ha ha ha I can't help myself I'm addicted to modding all my machines...Cheers!

Aaaaaah happy man I am, my full set of PETG Plastics arrived! Thanks again TomDK so appreciate it!!!!

#24271 32 days ago
alien easter (resized).jpg
#24272 30 days ago

This may have come up somewhere within the thread but has anyone put an Opto in the VUK to replace the wire setup.

#24273 29 days ago

I have an opto solution for the VUK on my (long) to-do list, currently I am working on an opto for the spinners. I am using an IR reflective sensor with a high impedance comperator IC to detect the turning wire of the spinner. The prototype (see picture) works perfect and I will now make a smaller board with SMD components as an easy switch replacement.
In general I think switches are some kind of anachronism for a machine with lots of microcontrollers and proximity sensors...
The reflective sensor will presumably also work fine for the VUK, and you don't need holes on both sides of the casing as with typical light barriers.

Opto-Spinner (resized).jpg
#24274 29 days ago

Check the manual from Capcom FlipperFootball and BBB.
Both machines have opto spinners !!

Do not look on the price

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/parts-by-machine/capcom-parts/big-bang-bar/a-00169-2.html

#24275 29 days ago

My favorite, the JJP Hobbit, for sure has opto spinners. A switch would slow the spinners down significantly making it much harder to reach Erebor...
By the way, I am not sure what effect more spinner rotations would have on the Alien gameplay (besides more points).

#24276 29 days ago
Quoted from Per_:

My favorite, the JJP Hobbit

I’ll take “words not commonly said together” for $1000 Alex..

#24277 29 days ago
Quoted from Per_:

By the way, I am not sure what effect more spinner rotations would have on the Alien gameplay (besides more points).

Easier to qualify Sentry Guns MB. Easier to light Sentry Gun Super JPs. Higher Rescue scores. Possibly a couple other things I’m not recalling right now.

#24278 29 days ago

Thanks guys.This was only suggested to me because the airlock switch got bent probably during a multiball.This caused the solenoid to overheat and damage one of the IO boards.

#24279 29 days ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

I’ll take “words not commonly said together” for $1000 Alex..

That was easy to predict ...

Quoted from Ferret:

Easier to qualify Sentry Guns MB. Easier to ...

Thanks again for putting the rules puzzle together!

Quoted from gold1:

because the airlock switch got bent

My airlock switch was already bent close to blocking when I got the new pin. I adjusted the lever but kept this in mind. Knowing now the possible damage makes an opto solution more interesting - on the other hand it should obviously be a highly reliable replacement.

#24280 28 days ago

Uhh .. did I miss something ??!
There is a Software 1.3 B3 ?

20190417_164239 (resized).jpg
#24281 28 days ago

Nothing announced publicly about it yet...

#24282 28 days ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Uhh .. did I miss something ??!
There is a Software 1.3 B3 ?[quoted image]

Where is that photo from?

#24283 28 days ago

Uh .. I hope I did not spoil something ... bad situation.

A german pinhead visited me some weeks ago to play my Alien. He was very intrested in buying one and finallly ... 2 weeks ago he bought one from a german dealer. He has problems with his new pin. One coil burned and a fuse is always blowing. Very bad luck .. so he asked me about the software and I told him 1.2 is actual. He wrote back that his machines shows 1.3 B3. I could not believe it and asked for a pictures .. here we go .....
So he asked me if that software version may responsible for the burning coil and fuse and if it is possible to go back to 1.2

I adviced him to join us in this thread becaus e I can not help him with his problems but maybe others might ... so we came to the pic of 1.3 B3

Story ends ...

Sicherung (resized).JPGSpule 1 (resized).JPGSpule 2 (resized).JPG
#24284 28 days ago

What’s his build date in system settings?

#24285 28 days ago

Hi at all, I am the owner of the Alien LE.

Thanks Tom for the posting.

In the system menu is the Build date 16/02/2019.
SW Version 1.3B3

I guess the driver on the IO Board is dead.
There is constant 70V on the right jet coil

#24286 28 days ago

Here is a pic

20190417_164225 (resized).jpg
#24287 28 days ago

I have noticed some other small issues.
I haven't read through all the 486 pages yet.
But it seems some of the issues have had others as well.

1. During normal game (no ballsaver, no multiball, no add-a-ball) sometimes balls are added to the game.
This does not happen at all games, only sometimes.

2. When I hold the left flipperfinger, a bright buzzing sounds appears from the left coil.
The left flipper plays total normal, they are strong and the EOS switches are working fine in the switch test.

3. Some LEDs flickerering (e.g. Special) when I press the right flipper.

4. I had some reboots during gameplay.

Bytheway Alien is incredible.
Sound, athmosphere, light show, layout Wow!

#24288 28 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

anyone have the latest rule set? I forget some of them - especially what appears to be a hurry up that plays an effect louder and quicker each time.....what to hit...

I don't know if there is a rule set out there from the last few code updates. I thought I remembered reading a fairly detailed listed somewhere a bit ago but can't find it look now. It would be helpful in diagnosing problems to know how many balls come out during what multi balls and modes. I thought I asked before but couldn't find it in the post history, how many balls does ambush start off as? And is it possible to add a ball or balls in that multi ball?

Haven't watched it yet but the new 40th anniversary 4k UHD of Alien came out today.

#24289 28 days ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

Here is a pic[quoted image]

Wait, what!!!!!!

#24290 28 days ago

Now things are getting interesting

#24291 28 days ago

Uhhh. Interesting is an understatement

#24292 28 days ago

Like I've been saying.........

Stay tuned

#24294 28 days ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

Here is a pic[quoted image]

Do you have other pics showing the machine.This build date is strange?

#24295 28 days ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Uh .. I hope I did not spoil something ... bad situation.
A german pinhead visited me some weeks ago to play my Alien. He was very intrested in buying one and finallly ... 2 weeks ago he bought one from a german dealer. He has problems with his new pin. One coil burned and a fuse is always blowing. Very bad luck .. so he asked me about the software and I told him 1.2 is actual. He wrote back that his machines shows 1.3 B3. I could not believe it and asked for a pictures .. here we go .....
So he asked me if that software version may responsible for the burning coil and fuse and if it is possible to go back to 1.2
I adviced him to join us in this thread becaus e I can not help him with his problems but maybe others might ... so we came to the pic of 1.3 B3
Story ends ...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is what happened to my machine.Same fuse.Same solenoid.And a damaged IO board.

#24296 28 days ago
Quoted from gold1:

This is what happened to my machine.Same fuse.Same solenoid.And a damaged IO board.

Thanks, and how do you solved it? New I/O Board and new Coil HPC-C020?
I'm worried it's gonna happen again...

#24297 28 days ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

Thanks, and how do you solved it? New I/O Board and new Coil HPC-C020?
I'm worried it's gonna happen again...

Yes new IO board and solenoid and new fuse.I am changing to an Opto set up because my airlock switch got buckled and probably was the cause.

#24298 28 days ago
Quoted from gold1:

Yes new IO board and solenoid and new fuse.I am changing to an Opto set up because my airlock switch got buckled and probably was the cause.

I'll be checking my switch assembly tonight...Guessing the opto switch setup is in the works(?) Based on this and a brand new code release, I'm certainly feeling out of whatever is going on in Alienland.

Any insight appreciated....

#24299 28 days ago
Quoted from gold1:

Do you have other pics showing the machine.This build date is strange?

Here are some pics.
It is a beautiful Alien LE late production from Feb/March 2018.
On the computer is a sticker with V 1.1. from 07.03.2018.
The 3 big PCBs are labeled with "Pinball Brothers V0.97a

IMG_1983 (resized).JPGIMG_1984 (resized).JPGIMG_1989 (resized).JPGIMG_1990 (resized).JPGIMG_1995 (resized).JPG20190415_213638 (resized).jpg
#24300 27 days ago

Nice looking game. Hope you get your issue fixed. But the question is who updated the software in Feb 2019? I thought the programmers moved on to other projects outside of pinballbrothers/heighway.

"In the system menu is the Build date 16/02/2019.
SW Version 1.3B3"

Quoted from DrDoom:

Here are some pics.
It is a beautiful Alien LE late production from Feb/March 2018.
On the computer is a sticker with V 1.1. from 07.03.2018.
The 3 big PCBs are labeled with "Pinball Brothers V0.97a[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
15,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nidderau, HE
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
There are 24458 posts in this topic. You are on page 486 of 490.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside