pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 483 of 601.
#24101 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

The issues with Alien aren't any more common than any other pinball machine,

i don't know if i buy that exactly. it sounds like there are some electronic flaws that are creating some common issues. trying to compare it to TBL maintenance thread where there is a couple posts a month for similar situation and quantity.

commend you all for the ingenuity though to harden these games and make them last

#24102 5 years ago

I replaced the servo by a new one (bought from another seller) and the Jaw is working!

seems like the issue came from the servo. Replacing it is a bit of a pain and took some time... same as recalibrating but now it's good. Cross fingers it will last.

The game is now fully working and the Alien looks less stupid (open mouth is not great...)

Regarding the USB cable, is anyone has a link to good one to replace the existing one? thanks

#24103 5 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

I replaced the servo by a new one (bought from another seller) and the Jaw is working!
seems like the issue came from the servo. Replacing it is a bit of a pain and took some time... same as recalibrating but now it's good. Cross fingers it will last.
The game is now fully working and the Alien looks less stupid (open mouth is not great...)
Regarding the USB cable, is anyone has a link to good one to replace the existing one? thanks

great news! So was it the servo board itself or this thing that needed to be replaced?

https://www.amazon.com/TowerPro-MG90D-Metal-Digital-Models/dp/B01M08TWN0/ref=sr_1_1

#24104 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

The issues with Alien aren't any more common than any other pinball machine

#24105 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

great news! So was it the servo board itself or this thing that needed to be replaced?
amazon.com link »

No I used the exact same one but bought from another seller and this one worked perfectly. Really strange.

Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07LG2SWWZ/ref=pe_3044141_189395771_TE_dp_1

#24106 5 years ago

Can’t say for others but i used to own a AC DC luci which I sold and I had more issues with it and much more painfull. The pin was turning off during gameplay for instance... so this pin for now is great for the game i played. This one is a late production though.

#24107 5 years ago

The final piece to the puzzle arrived today. These inner side art lights are so essential in my opinion.

Thank you SO much to pinsider Mik-ReadingUK for allowing me to purchase. Thursday can't come soon enough.

EDIT - can someone remind me where you plug the two wire ends of the power brick (connected to the lights)? I believe they go into the power box in the machine but not sure where in particular.

20190409_180407 (resized).jpg20190409_180407 (resized).jpg

#24108 5 years ago

Awesome you found a pair, I’m still looking. If anyone wants to sell their lighted side art blades PM me!

#24109 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Awesome you found a pair, I’m still looking. If anyone wants to sell their lighted side art blades PM me!

You guys do realize somebody did a write up on here of how to do your own?

#24110 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

You guys do realize somebody did a write up on here of how to do your own?

Yes do that that’s what I did on my se

#24111 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

After almost not making it through the Canadian border, Alien is due to arrive on Thursday!

Just in time to flip it for $20K!

#24112 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Just in time to flip it for $20K!

I'll tell you I've had folks already offer a good amount on it and I've said no. I spent a good amount myself on it and this is my favorite game super special and even the reboot, if it comes out won't have this feel, style, look etc. One of a kind. It's the total package imo and a later model too now with SE and LE art

#24113 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'll tell you I've had folks already offer a good amount on it and I've said no. I spent a good amount myself on it and this is my favorite game super special and even the reboot, if it comes out won't have this feel, style, look etc. One of a kind. It's the total package imo and a later model too now with SE and LE art

How much were you offered? Just curious ?

#24114 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

How much were you offered? Just curious ?

put yours up for sale and check it out. Seems like you've been looking to do so - why not just do it? Market is hungry it seems. GL!

#24115 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

put yours up for sale and check it out. Seems like you've been looking to do so - why not just do it? Market is hungry it seems. GL!

I know that I am definitely hungry. I've got to see what Wonka I end up with, but Alien is a must-have if I get lucky enough to have a shot at a fully functioning one.

#24116 5 years ago

Ok guys and gals just my personal opinion but in the last 2 days I spent 2 hours playing Batman 66 Premium and at least 2 hours playing Star Wars Premium at a buddies home...not trying to piss in anybodies Cheerios but man I don't get spending that kind of money for those games..yes I realize all pins are probably overpriced but unless something REALLY wows me I'm glad I haven't bought those Stern games...Come home to Alien or remember a lot of games I've had in the past and wow no way! One game on Alien and my mindset is back in line ha ha

#24117 5 years ago

Still really digging my fully working alien. It’s just so unique that it fits in perfectly

#24118 5 years ago

Played again tonight with my kids. Too young for the movies (so game bleeps the swearing). Will be so neat that their introduction to the Alien universe will be through the game. My boy hit the hyperspace multiball and accidentally punched me in the face when jumping for joy after that shot (currently my favorite shot in pinball). When the game ended, he said “game over man, its game over” in perfect Chet voice. (Yes, I know Chet comes from Weird Science). This game is amazing.

#24119 5 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Still really digging my fully working alien. It’s just so unique that it fits in perfectly

+1

#24120 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Oh I don’t want to sell mine . Was just curious . I spent too much time and effort to obtain this le it ain’t going anywhere

#24121 5 years ago

My song remains the same.....I have some great, amazing games in my lineup...and then there is Alien.....

#24122 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

I know that I am definitely hungry. I've got to see what Wonka I end up with, but Alien is a must-have if I get lucky enough to have a shot at a fully functioning one.

Will send PM

#24123 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Many Aliens have changed ownership recently between 13k - 18k. What happens next when supply of original Aliens for sale dries up? Remaining Owners will ask for more and prices will rise to $15k-$20k by Christmas, as optimistic buyers await the Alien reboot and anticipate getting a more reliable pin for $10k. When that doesn’t arrive by early 2020, buyers will grudgingly pay $20k for an original Alien. So the bright customer pays $15k now to secure one, knowing that fixing the game along the way is the price of ownership.

Last month TWIP reported Aliens were trending down. FAIL. What kind of wacky weed were they smoking? The game resale prices have been steady to rising over the past year. TWIP needs to go back to basics and learn to read the tea leaves correctly.

#24124 5 years ago

For those with lit side blades can you confirm where the two wires from the power brick go into the main power supply? Mine comes today so if I figure it out I'll update this but rather avoid guessing

#24125 5 years ago

We sold hardly any Full Throttles so they're extremely rare but the theme killed it for collectors. Rare isn't always valuable.

Back when I was working for HP, I wouldn't have taken an Alien machine for free, knowing how many corners were cut and how cheaply it was put together. I am amazed all the games we sold are still working. Fair play.

#24126 5 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

We sold hardly any Full Throttles so they're extremely rare but the theme killed it for collectors. Rare isn't always valuable.
Back when I was working for HP, I wouldn't have taken an Alien machine for free, knowing how many corners were cut and how cheaply it was put together. I am amazed all the games we sold are still working. Fair play.

Interesting to hear b/c I've owned JJP, Stern and others and the make/build of Alien is right up there with JJP which is the market leader. It absolutely blows stern out of the water.

#24127 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Interesting to hear b/c I've owned JJP, Stern and others and the make/build of Alien is right up there with JJP which is the market leader. It absolutely blows stern out of the water.

Yep in full agreement!

#24128 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Yep in full agreement!

The build quality is solid, but the components HP used were less than robust and prone to failure. Chances are high that one of the lcd screens will fail as will the amp. Expect to lose an i/o board, coil, magnetic switch or sd chip. When something fails and is replaced, it eliminates one weak point and game becomes more robust. All the critical parts are identified and available, but the game itself feels like a tank.

#24129 5 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Understandable, I started a game of Full Throttle at a show and bailed mid-way - thought it was awful

#24130 5 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Understandable, I started a game of Full Throttle at a show and bailed mid-way - thought it was awful

To be honest, I never gave any interest on FT till I was on Alien. I thing the theme was a too special to succeed and not a fan also on the rotating guy on the back. At the same time, the playfiled seems well though, the gameplay not bad at all afterwards and really fast for a large so this game is quiet unique on its kind. The pin also brought interesting innovations and took some risks.
I think, aside from their mistakes, HP had great talents. This game might be looked for in the future who knows...

Alien is a blast to play. I wish a new one to be released for people to play it and to realize its huge potential.

#24131 5 years ago

Been getting some more inquiries about another run of replacement/spare computers - if there are about 5 buyers - I'll get cranking one one more run.

Scott

#24132 5 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Sad to hear and see it posted as such, but understand from your perspective. The final build games are quite solid, and short of a few engineering fixes (generally required on all games) it's easily the equal of other manufacturer's product, if not better. It never had the chance nor factory support to see it completely through, but doesn't lessen some of the innovation and quality this machine has.

I've have gone through virtually every square inch of this game, and put it's current reliability up against anything out there. Theme and gameplay wise, far, far superior on many fronts.

The game itself doesn't suffer from the politics, only the prior "company".....just a killer game, which now must stand on it's own.

#24133 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The build quality is solid, but the components HP used were less than robust and prone to failure. Chances are high that one of the lcd screens will fail as will the amp. Expect to lose an i/o board, coil, magnetic switch or sd chip. When something fails and is replaced, it eliminates one weak point and game becomes more robust. All the critical parts are identified and available, but the game itself feels like a tank.

I/O boards are actually over-engineered, but connectivity sucks...a coil is a coil, switch a switch, etc. Screens are average pro grade, but again connectivity issues.

The only absolute miss and fail on components would be the acrylics......huge problem, and will absolutely destroy the games if not replaced, as hard, sharp beads will invade everything as they crack (all of them crack).....they could have saved a ton of $$$ if they just used wireforms, or plastic ramps w decals as opposed to the nightmare they created there. Impressive when upfitted, but a massive over engineered thought, imho...

#24134 5 years ago

What needs to be done to bulletproof this game absolutely pales in comparison to what had to be changed on another, landmark "state of the art, built like a tank, better than any stern game" I'll let you fill in the blank. difference - it was built by a company w exceptional support and dedication to the game, and they saw it through to what is now a pillar in their lineup.

Alien left for dead.....mine's not dying....far from it....

#24135 5 years ago

Guys can someone with the inner side lights tell me where the power wires to into the main power grid?

Here are the latest pics....SE art into LE art. Game works perfectly! Inner lights going in now and beacons tomorrow.

20190411_142310 (resized).jpg20190411_142310 (resized).jpg20190411_144406 (resized).jpg20190411_144406 (resized).jpg20190411_144432 (resized).jpg20190411_144432 (resized).jpg

#24136 5 years ago

Here are the two wires I'm taking about that need to be inserted into the power box. They come from that silver box behind it

20190411_170149 (resized).jpg20190411_170149 (resized).jpg
#24137 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

After a long pinball evening my Alien playfield LCD showed red interferences (which were gone the next day) - I had to think about the quoted post. A fan could not harm, but I am also reluctant to cut a hole in the bottom (front left would fit) of my machine.

I couldn't stop thinking about the "cooling" topic. After trying a fan (see quote) I bought a W1209 (https://www.amazon.com/2013newestseller-Thermostat-Temperature-Thermometer-50-110%C2%B0c/dp/B00GWFK7FA). This is a really cheap temperature control switch with a temperature display and configurable on/off-values. I used it to perform some temperature measurements inside the cabinet and experienced a temperature increase of about 8 degrees (celsius, sorry) after one hour (in a fairly cold cellar). There is a remarkable heat generation difference between "stand-by" and playing the pin.

Having all the parts available I had to finish the project: With a wood hole saw (90mm) I cut a hole in the left front corner of the cabinet bottom: I leveled the pin bottom and drilled slowly from below with a heavy duty drill mounted in a (reversed) drill stand. Oddly enough nothing went wrong.

On the W1209 I replaced the relay with a power FET and added a connector for the fan plug. The necessary 12 volt power connection is available nearby at the left side of the power supply bord. The temperature sensor should be placed below the playfield, I have to try out some options. I decided to let the fan blow fresh air inside the cabinet to support the natural convection of the warm air flowing up the slanted playfield to the upper rear holes. Maybe I will try the other direction also, I have to see.

Now I can sleep well again..

DSC05010 (resized).JPGDSC05010 (resized).JPGDSC05017 (resized).JPGDSC05017 (resized).JPGDSC05025 (resized).JPGDSC05025 (resized).JPG

#24138 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Guys can someone with the inner side lights tell me where the power wires to into the main power grid?

The wires are connected to the 70V power supply main voltage input (labeled "L" and "N", see picture). This input is switched via a big relay controlled by the door switch. Therefore the side lights will go black if the front door is opened. This makes sense, as the inverter generates more than 90 volts which should not be touched...

Wires (resized).jpgWires (resized).jpg
#24139 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

The only absolute miss and fail on components would be the acrylics......huge problem, and will absolutely destroy the games if not replaced, as hard, sharp beads will invade everything as they crack (all of them crack).....they could have saved a ton of $$$ if they just used wireforms, or plastic ramps w decals as opposed to the nightmare they created there. Impressive when upfitted, but a massive over engineered thought, imho...

by product of andrew's quest to use stuff he could build in house vs source from other vendors...

#24140 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

The wires are connected to the 70V power supply main voltage input (labeled "L" and "N", see picture). This input is switched via a big relay controlled by the door switch. Therefore the side lights will go black if the front door is opened. This makes sense, as the inverter generates more than 90 volts which should not be touched...
[quoted image]

Interesting bc I just checked anther user and it was plugged into 12v

I attached mine like this and it worked....

Is that stock going into 70v?

20190411_174244 (resized).jpg20190411_174244 (resized).jpg
#24141 5 years ago

Actually you're def right as my old alien the lights would go off when you opened coin door. Ok thanks! All set

#24142 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Actually you're def right as my old alien the lights would go off when you opened coin door. Ok thanks! All set

So which is right 70v?

#24143 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

So which is right 70v?

Def 70v as my original the inner lights would go off after I opened the coin door and heighway literally walked me through installation so that's the right way

#24144 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That’s why you need to buy the Cliffy for the left lane return, if you haven’t already!

EA445354-0276-462A-B5E4-2D02492133E1 (resized).jpegEA445354-0276-462A-B5E4-2D02492133E1 (resized).jpeg
#24145 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

That’s why you need to buy the Cliffy for the left lane return, if you haven’t already![quoted image]

I'm all PETG, so safe...That protector is awesome...Biggest challenge is the acrylics in general....Thought I only had one broken by my ball launch wire form...When I took the game apart found about 7 more that had cracked....So many areas exposed...And what a PITA to change....Whew!!

#24146 5 years ago

Well after about 6 hours of installing she is back in her full glory, El blades, beacons and all.

Was playing it tonight and wow the presentation, effects and layout is a whole other level, even more than I remember.

20190411_235949 (resized).jpg20190411_235949 (resized).jpg
#24147 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

I couldn't stop thinking about the "cooling" topic. After trying a fan (see quote) I bought a W1209 (amazon.com link »). This is a really cheap temperature control switch with a temperature display and configurable on/off-values. I used it to perform some temperature measurements inside the cabinet and experienced a temperature increase of about 8 degrees (celsius, sorry) after one hour (in a fairly cold cellar). There is a remarkable heat generation difference between "stand-by" and playing the pin.
Having all the parts available I had to finish the project: With a wood hole saw (90mm) I cut a hole in the left front corner of the cabinet bottom: I leveled the pin bottom and drilled slowly from below with a heavy duty drill mounted in a (reversed) drill stand. Oddly enough nothing went wrong.
On the W1209 I replaced the relay with a power FET and added a connector for the fan plug. The necessary 12 volt power connection is available nearby at the left side of the power supply bord. The temperature sensor should be placed below the playfield, I have to try out some options. I decided to let the fan blow fresh air inside the cabinet to support the natural convection of the warm air flowing up the slanted playfield to the upper rear holes. Maybe I will try the other direction also, I have to see.
Now I can sleep well again..
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice writeup, but that first pic made me lol. By the time that was all set up, well, my drill would have been cleaned, cab vaccumed and fan mounted..

#24148 5 years ago

For the guys that hooked up an external sub to alien, please post how you did it. Thinking about adding mine and the alligator clip method seems to work but maybe they're is a better way with the amp

#24149 5 years ago

Also is the Shaker worth it now? In my original it barely went off. If so which one did you guys buy? I think my first one was red tremor cointaker

#24150 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

For the guys that hooked up an external sub to alien, please post how you did it. Thinking about adding mine and the alligator clip method seems to work but maybe they're is a better way with the amp

I just took a speaker wire and mounted some alligator clips to one end then put it directly on the woofer speaker . The sound system in alien is already so good I didn’t think it added that Much but that’s my opinion

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 483 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/483?hl=cyber-greg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.