pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 478 of 601.
#23851 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Black powder coating complete..legs, cabinet bolts, etc...all buttons changed to green, led flipper buttons with black centers, coin ejects green, Pinstadium lighting (waiting on stealth covers so you dont see LEDs), green LEDs underneath and on back, static cling vinyl over playfield screen for protection, green leg LEDs, Alien Cupholder with Volcano green LED light up mod, green flipper bat rubbers, shaker, PDI glass, upper body Xenomorph Topper, and of course Subwoofer Loving this game a lot! It's still early but this is first game I have owned that may stay for the long haul..so glad I bought one!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The game looks badass!!!!

#23852 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Okay, how do I know the cables I'm about to buy is higher quality? And should I replace cables for all 4 IO boards?
Also, it's my pops that's giving me most trouble, they now also activate by them selves sometimes. What IO board controls the pops?

I boughtplay station 3 joystick charging cables I sure enough it was the problem I would randomly lose board connections. Haven’t had issues since

#23853 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Remove the mech from the game, and adjust the servo arm on the bottom? Make sure the wire connecting to the jaw isn't binding. It's possible the servo is bad or the screw holding the arm is loose. The servo can be replaced with a more reliable one too. It's a bit of work removing the parts and wires, but definitely doable.

Thank you. I've been fiddeling with the servo like crazy but I can’t get to work better than it is right now. The problem is that I dont even know what the original angle of the arm is supposed to be. Any advice for a replacement servo?

#23854 5 years ago

Hey guys, I wanted to post here in this thread about a project I was helping out with that is Alien related. I recently met Brian Allen, one of the artists that did some work on Alien during the fiasco at Heighway. Like Aurich, Brian is a super nice guy and had some really cool looking art that never really made it to production or not in the form that was intended from what I understand. I had reached out to Brian because I liked one of the pieces that he had drawn for the game that was at some point an option for the back-glass on games without monitors. At first I just wanted to create some art for my wall that might be able to go into a light box, but now that I have it, Brian is fine with me helping him offer it to the community. Instead of just creating a translite, I have had the art reverse printed on acrylic for a much higher end look than a translite. (think of how Cirqus Voltaire back-glass is made...its acrylic or some type of plastic) These are available for order through Brian's website (https://www.flylanddesigns.com) as well as directly through me. I am planning on bringing a set amount of these to the Texas Pinball Festival for those that would like to cash and carry and save on shipping, but I am trying to get a rough idea on those that would like one. These are about 26" x26" and look amazing in a light box. I am going to attach a few pics as well as a sample video I did for Brian of mine in a light box I built. Feel free to reach out via pm if you would like one to pick up or would like one shipped. The price point on these is $200.00 picked up or 235.00 shipped due to size and packing costs. Let me know what ya'll think!

#23855 5 years ago
0E4C62C4-8E37-48D4-B399-D1D1350ABB09 (resized).jpeg0E4C62C4-8E37-48D4-B399-D1D1350ABB09 (resized).jpeg
#23856 5 years ago
515144CD-40A2-402F-AB5B-C392365FF57A (resized).jpeg515144CD-40A2-402F-AB5B-C392365FF57A (resized).jpeg
#23857 5 years ago
7CEC7994-AF59-4279-B50F-912604BC7B59 (resized).jpeg7CEC7994-AF59-4279-B50F-912604BC7B59 (resized).jpeg
#23858 5 years ago

Here is a link to a video on Brian's site as I can't get my video to link due to size I guess...

https://www.flylanddesigns.com/product/alien-backglass/

#23859 5 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

I boughtplay station 3 joystick charging cables I sure enough it was the problem I would randomly lose board connections. Haven’t had issues since

Is this the recommended cable to buy to replace all 4 of the original cables? And should I also purchase those plastic wire mounts for the cables (I’m not sure what these are called, you attach them to the underside of the playfield to keep the cables in a secure position away from the rest of the guys under the playfield) ?

#23860 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Thank you. I've been fiddeling with the servo like crazy but I can’t get to work better than it is right now. The problem is that I dont even know what the original angle of the arm is supposed to be. Any advice for a replacement servo?

Okay, so I got hold of a replacement servo, replaced the broken one and now everything is working as it should.

#23861 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

And should I also purchase those plastic wire mounts for the cables (I’m not sure what these are called, you attach them to the underside of the playfield to keep the cables in a secure position away from the rest of the guys under the playfield) ?

Here is one source for the "plastic mounts": https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5253-01
They help avoid / limit force effects on the board connectors and you can keep the cables away from electromagnetic disturbances (EMC) caused by the main wiring harness on the right side in the picture.

Window (resized).jpgWindow (resized).jpg
#23862 5 years ago

I was thinking about doing a small light mod, I have a strip of addressable leds I had for min pinduino, I was thinking about tying it in with a portion of the GI.
Anyone have a tip on how to do that? I am so nervous tinkering with this pin due to the fact of getting new spare parts is hardly an easy task.

Any help would be awesome!

#23863 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

Here is one source for the "plastic mounts": https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5253-01
They help avoid / limit force effects on the board connectors and you can keep the cables away from electromagnetic disturbances (EMC) caused by the main wiring harness on the right side in the picture.
[quoted image]

Perfect, thank you!

#23864 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

I was thinking about doing a small light mod, I have a strip of addressable leds I had for min pinduino, I was thinking about tying it in with a portion of the GI.
Anyone have a tip on how to do that? I am so nervous tinkering with this pin due to the fact of getting new spare parts is hardly an easy task.

The Alien WS2812 color LEDs recieve their color data as serial data packages sent over a single wire (serial bus). You can connect additional WS2812 LEDs in parallel, they will show the same color (as TimeBandit did with the sling shot update). But you can neither connect other LED types nor LED strips in this way.
But you can use a microcontroller like the Arduino to determine the color of a selected Alien LED and to trigger your LED strip to show some related color(s). To know the Alien LED color you can either analyse the color data on the serial bus or use a color sensor. As the first option is more complex and implies connections to the Alien hardware I would start with the second option. Color sensors are inexpensive, can be placed anywhere in the pin and there are many tutorials fitting to your use-case. Here is an example: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-color-sensors.

#23865 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

The Alien WS2812 color LEDs recieve their color data as serial data packages sent over a single wire (serial bus). You can connect additional WS2812 LEDs in parallel, they will show the same color (as TimeBandit did with the sling shot update). But you can neither connect other LED types nor LED strips in this way.
But you can use a microcontroller like the Arduino to determine the color of a selected Alien LED and to trigger your LED strip to show some related color(s). To know the Alien LED color you can either analyse the color data on the serial bus or use a color sensor. As the first option is more complex and implies connections to the Alien hardware I would start with the second option. Color sensors are inexpensive, can be placed anywhere in the pin and there are many tutorials fitting to your use-case. Here is an example: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-color-sensors.

Great info! Thank you!

#23866 5 years ago

I am trying to hook up an WS2812B LED strip, anyone know if I can use any of the connectors pictured below?
LED CHAIN OUT 2B

20190304_113312~2 (resized).jpg20190304_113312~2 (resized).jpg

20190304_114928_HDR (resized).jpg20190304_114928_HDR (resized).jpg
#23867 5 years ago

Am I the only one who is not a big fan of the "scream again" ball save sound?
I think it sounds like a wookie from star wars and thats the completely wrong franchise.
I wish there was either a human or a xeno screaming instead, the rest of the sounds are great but the "wookie" scream takes me out of the immersion a bit.

#23868 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Am I the only one who is not a big fan of the "scream again" ball save sound?
I think it sounds like a wookie from star wars and thats the completely wrong franchise.
I wish there was either a human or a xeno screaming instead, the rest of the sounds are great but the "wookie" scream takes me out of the immersion a bit.

The video media and sound files are all on the PC filesystem, you can easily change them.

#23869 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

The video media and sound files are all on the PC filesystem, you can easily change them.

Okay. I might just do that.

#23870 5 years ago

So I am now having trouble with a bunch of lights.
Som times som are stuck on in one color, others can be off at the same time.
See images from the test mode below to see witch lights are affected.

20190305_135810 (resized).jpg20190305_135810 (resized).jpg20190305_135814 (resized).jpg20190305_135814 (resized).jpg20190305_135819 (resized).jpg20190305_135819 (resized).jpg20190305_135821 (resized).jpg20190305_135821 (resized).jpg20190305_135825 (resized).jpg20190305_135825 (resized).jpg20190305_135829 (resized).jpg20190305_135829 (resized).jpg20190305_135833 (resized).jpg20190305_135833 (resized).jpg20190305_135806 (resized).jpg20190305_135806 (resized).jpg20190305_135838 (resized).jpg20190305_135838 (resized).jpg20190305_135843 (resized).jpg20190305_135843 (resized).jpg
#23871 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

So I am now having trouble with a bunch of lights.
Som times som are stuck on in one color, others can be off at the same time.
See images from the test mode below to see witch lights are affected. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Heighway_Pinball_Repair#Alien

The Lamp ID is based on the following sequence [IO Board #-Chain, Lamp ID]. Translated, 1-A1 would be IO Board #1, Chain A, Lamp 1. One thing to note is that these lamps are serially addressed, which means that if one LED fails or is missing, all following LED's in that chain will not work correctly (locked on, off, flashing, etc.)

Find the earliest Trouble LED in the chain and try and reseat it slightly. You may need to reflow the solder underneath as early PCB traces are weak. Do this as a last resort.

#23872 5 years ago

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Heighway_Pinball_Repair#Alien
The Lamp ID is based on the following sequence [IO Board #-Chain, Lamp ID]. Translated, 1-A1 would be IO Board #1, Chain A, Lamp 1. One thing to note is that these lamps are serially addressed, which means that if one LED fails or is missing, all following LED's in that chain will not work correctly (locked on, off, flashing, etc.)
Find the earliest Trouble LED in the chain and try and reseat it slightly. You may need to reflow the solder underneath as early PCB traces are weak. Do this as a last resort.

Thank you!

It turned out to be the usb cable going to I/O bord 2, the reason I didn't test the usb cable before posting is because this was one of the cables I replaced.

#23873 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Thank you!
It turned out to be the usb cable going to I/O bord 2, the reason I didn't test the usb cable before posting is because this was one of the cables I replaced.

Scratch, that, not sure it's the cable, the same problem is back with the (new) replacement cable.

#23874 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Scratch, that, not sure it's the cable, the same problem is back with the (new) replacement cable.

In your case I would slightly tweak/reseat" 2-C8 Left Orbit Lower", and "2-C1 GI Right Orbit Lower" you can sometimes do it without loosening the screws for the large PCB board, but in most cases you have to take a few out to slightly lift the board away from the playfield.

#23875 5 years ago

In your case I would slightly tweak/reseat" 2-C8 Left Orbit Lower", and "2-C1 GI Right Orbit Lower" you can sometimes do it without loosening the screws for the large PCB board, but in most cases you have to take a few out to slightly lift the board away from the playfield.

Thank you, I'll give it a go.

#23876 5 years ago

I have another problem.
During normal ball play the through just starts kicking out new balls, it continues to do so for a while, everything else (flippers/lights) looks like it's working as it should during this (except the light that are out due to a different problem..

Any clue on what could be causing this?

#23878 5 years ago

Also worth mentioning is that all the lights I'm having trouble with are working correctly right after a reboot. They blink a change color for about 20 seconds then they freeze up or stop working.

#23879 5 years ago

To fix the lights I have tried the following.
1. reseated some of the lights including 2-c8 & 2-c1.
2. Replaced the I/O board usb cable.
3. Tried a new usb port on the CPU.
4. Swapped I/O board.

Nothing have helped.

#23880 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

I have another problem.
During normal ball play the through just starts kicking out new balls, it continues to do so for a while, everything else (flippers/lights) looks like it's working as it should during this (except the light that are out due to a different problem..
Any clue on what could be causing this?

Is the ball save on so it just keeps kicking out balls?

#23881 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

To fix the lights I have tried the following.
1. reseated some of the lights including 2-c8 & 2-c1.
2. Replaced the I/O board usb cable.
3. Tried a new usb port on the CPU.
4. Swapped I/O board.
Nothing have helped.

The picture you posted before. Did you plug something into that LED_Chain_Out-2A socket? That could be the source of your issue.

If you take out the lights that are causing an issue and plug it into one of the little green free standing boards in the GI, does the bulb work as expected? I would keep testing individual potentially problem bulbs like this until you find the culprit. You may need to reflow solder on the LED or find a replacement. You can move problem bulbs to the end of the chain for the time being to minimize the impact.

#23882 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Is the ball save on so it just keeps kicking out balls?

Nope, it's not the ballsave.

#23883 5 years ago

The picture you posted before. Did you plug something into that LED_Chain_Out-2A socket? That could be the source of your issue.
If you take out the lights that are causing an issue and plug it into one of the little green free standing boards in the GI, does the bulb work as expected? I would keep testing individual potentially problem bulbs like this until you find the culprit. You may need to reflow solder on the LED or find a replacement. You can move problem bulbs to the end of the chain for the time being to minimize the impact.

No, I did not plug in any extra LEDs.
I have two extra LEDs I can use, I tried swapping out one of them (2-C8 Left Orbit Lower) with no change. The light is still stuck.

#23884 5 years ago

Hurray!

I finally got my LED problem sorted.
I started going through the problematic LEDs one by one testing them one by one on one of the little green free standing boards in the GI like @knockerlover suggested. Luckily I only had to test three LEDs until I found the culprit. The faulty LED was stuck at white light only, I replaced it with a spare one and BAM, everything is back to normal

BIG thanks to @knockerlover for helping me to sort it out!

#23885 5 years ago

At the moment all that's left to fix on my game is the random way it starts kicking out balls during normal play.
I have replaced all the USB cables with shielded cables.
I have routed the USB cables to the left side away from the larger cables.
I have rotated I/O boards.
I have checked the balls for magnetism.
I have cleaned the optos on the through.
I have reseated all the connectors on the through.

#23886 5 years ago

I have no also taken out the through emitter board and reflowed solder on all solder points, I am still getting the same problem.
What I did notice (maybe) is that the through kicks out balls until it has cleared all 6 balls, I am not sure about this, I need to test this some more.

#23887 5 years ago

Have you tested each trough switch individually in test mode? It sounds like they are reading active all the time, so the game thinks the ball ejects are not working.

#23888 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Have you tested each trough switch individually in test mode? It sounds like they are reading active all the time, so the game thinks the ball ejects are not working.

Yes, I have tested each trough switch individually in test mode and they are all behaving as they should.

#23889 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

I have no also taken out the through emitter board and reflowed solder on all solder points, I am still getting the same problem.
What I did notice (maybe) is that the through kicks out balls until it has cleared all 6 balls, I am not sure about this, I need to test this some more.

Usually it does this if it detects a jam.. the higher LED.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#23890 5 years ago

Well after moving in and out 18 machines over the years, I've finally found that Alien is special enough that I want to keep for the long haul... so prepared I am just in case....many backup parts and playfield just arrived! This Alien community it's just awesome with all the help and thank you all!

20190305_220352.jpg20190305_220352.jpg20190306_103839.jpg20190306_103839.jpg
#23891 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Well after moving in and out 18 machines over the years, I've finally found that Alien is special enough that I want to keep for the long haul... so prepared I am just in case....many backup parts and playfield just arrived! This Alien community it's just awesome with all the help and thank you all!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Very smart idea - those parts are gold if anything goes wrong.

#23892 5 years ago

Usually it does this if it detects a jam.. the higher LED. [quoted image]

Yes, I see, but that opto looks like it's working as it should.

#23893 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Yes, I see, but that opto looks like it's working as it should.

One thing I was thinking was that maybe I need the angle the ball through a little using washers.

#23894 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

One thing I was thinking though was that maybe I need the angle the ball through a little using washer.

Perhaps the balls are magnetized and sticking together in the trough.

#23895 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Perhaps the balls are magnetized and sticking together in the trough.

That was one of the things I was suspecting so I took a little paperclip to each ball, even though some of them was a tiny bit magnetically charged it was not enough to hold the paperclip.

#23896 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

That was one of the things I was suspecting so I took a little paperclip to each ball, even though some of them was a tiny bit magnetically charged it was not enough to hold the paperclip.

Thanks for sending me a debug log. Magnetized balls is very likely what is going on, from the log data I don't see very many trough switches changing when it kicks a ball out.

#23897 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Make sure you aren't using silverjet's

#23898 5 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Hey guys, I wanted to post here in this thread about a project I was helping out with that is Alien related. I recently met Brian Allen, one of the artists that did some work on Alien during the fiasco at Heighway. Like Aurich, Brian is a super nice guy and had some really cool looking art that never really made it to production or not in the form that was intended from what I understand. I had reached out to Brian because I liked one of the pieces that he had drawn for the game that was at some point an option for the back-glass on games without monitors. At first I just wanted to create some art for my wall that might be able to go into a light box, but now that I have it, Brian is fine with me helping him offer it to the community. Instead of just creating a translite, I have had the art reverse printed on acrylic for a much higher end look than a translite. (think of how Cirqus Voltaire back-glass is made...its acrylic or some type of plastic) These are available for order through Brian's website (https://www.flylanddesigns.com) as well as directly through me. I am planning on bringing a set amount of these to the Texas Pinball Festival for those that would like to cash and carry and save on shipping, but I am trying to get a rough idea on those that would like one. These are about 26" x26" and look amazing in a light box. I am going to attach a few pics as well as a sample video I did for Brian of mine in a light box I built. Feel free to reach out via pm if you would like one to pick up or would like one shipped. The price point on these is $200.00 picked up or 235.00 shipped due to size and packing costs. Let me know what ya'll think!

Just to clarify, this price does not include the light box with it. Thanks

#23899 5 years ago

I don't think we are going to have to worry about part availability for a LONG time on this game.

#23900 5 years ago

Just before the pin starts kicking out balls the shooter lane coil misfires with no ball in the shooter lane, then it starts kicking out balls.
Could this just be something simple as a shooter lane switch adjustment? Should I make the switch less sensitive by bending it down?
What I am guessing is that the shooter lane switch gets falsely triggered by maybe vibrations?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,799 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 478 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/478?hl=dee-bow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.