DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 456 of 601.
#22751 5 years ago

are pinstadium lights removable?

#22752 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

And on that note... please don't rate the "pre production" games.

He paid full price and not one of his dollars was broken.

#22753 5 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

What is everyone’s opinions on a pinstadium for alien? Thank you

uggh....as much as I've tried to join that club....drained every related thread...don't do it...

#22754 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

are pinstadium lights removable?

Yup, and then toss them in the trash where they belong!

#22755 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

haha. I guess I will try my Alien without them. They came installed from previous owner. Glad someone asked about this, dont want to miss out on what the Alien experience should be.

#22756 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you must choose... but choose wisely.

mb04 (resized).jpgmb04 (resized).jpg

#22757 5 years ago

I'm sure there are plenty of games where Pinstadium looks great. I've heard they are adjustable, so maybe if you dimmed them a bit, and put on a blue or red hue...maybe. But the last thing the Alien pinball machine needs is blinding bright lights. It's supposed to have a dark atmosphere.

...imho.

#22758 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

you must choose... but choose wisely.

Not sure why this post as downvoted.. but thanks for the information

#22759 5 years ago

Thx guys, I appreciate the advice

#22760 5 years ago

the problem of the pinstadium is that it ruins all the effects of the pinball light.

so yes we can see better to play, but it spoils the immersion in light, and the scenery lit up over it I do not find it pretty.

on other pinball why not, but on alien it breaks the atmosphere.

#22761 5 years ago

I put my self-made pinstadiums in, but I don't dare to post pictures as I know how you think about it I am looking ways to hook it up with GI though, as it is on now all the time.

#22762 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I'm sure there are plenty of games where Pinstadium looks great. I've heard they are adjustable, so maybe if you dimmed them a bit, and put on a blue or red hue...maybe. But the last thing the Alien pinball machine needs is blinding bright lights. It's supposed to have a dark atmosphere.
...imho.

Agreed. The darkness in Aliens as as much as a part of the theme, and the atmosphere, as the callouts and set pieces (sentry guns, etc). Pinstadium on a pin like that misses the point completely.

I should say however that I'm not a fan generally of straying too far from the original intent of the designers. I also don't feel the need to play my pins in total darkness, relying on the pin to be completely illuminated. I just switch an ambient light on and save myself $$$$ ?

#22763 5 years ago

The lit inner side blades is the answer. It provides a little more light and nails what the original design was going for. Pinstadium look great on certain machines.... Not alien. They also create some pretty bad pin stripes on the sides due to the reflection of metal

#22764 5 years ago

Well, here are the pics, you can lynch away These are "homemade stadium lights", not the real pinstadiums.
(The other pic stadium lights on and the other lights off)

IMG_4152 (resized).JPGIMG_4152 (resized).JPGIMG_4153 (resized).JPGIMG_4153 (resized).JPG
#22765 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Well, here are the pics, you can lynch away These are "homemade stadium lights", not the real pinstadiums.
(The other pic stadium lights on and the other lights off)

1 vote no on the fake_stadiums. Benefit of Pinstadiums is they can be dimmed or even individually controlled. Yours are too bright at 100%, but it is your machine and whatever makes you happy is the right choice.

#22766 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

1 vote no on the fake_stadiums. Benefit of Pinstadiums is they can be dimmed or even individually controlled. Yours are too bright at 100%, but it is your machine and whatever makes you happy is the right choice.

The picture distorts, I do not believe the brightness is at 100 % currently and the color is on the blue-side. I can dim mine with the phone app and also choose the color (its RGB-leds). But I would want to hook them up with GI, so that they would turn off when the GI turns off - that is something I do not know how to do yet. Some use of relays would be needed apparently.

#22768 5 years ago

Has anyone just tried adding a couple of spotlights to Alien?

When I've done that to any game it makes a huge difference, and might be all Alien needs.

#22769 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

When I've done that to any game it makes a huge difference, and might be all Alien needs.

Agreed. A couple of super brights in the right spot and we will be golden.

If only they had designed the slingshot GI properly. I gotta call this out as dumb. I mean, I know a little bit about lights, and I'm pretty sure they are designed to be used without a metal barrier shutting off 70% of their output!

267B1FEE-0938-47FE-9046-5682DD744675 (resized).jpeg267B1FEE-0938-47FE-9046-5682DD744675 (resized).jpeg430B38BE-1C1E-49E1-B9BC-C48B17B4EC8B (resized).jpeg430B38BE-1C1E-49E1-B9BC-C48B17B4EC8B (resized).jpeg8667F85D-3F29-4180-81A6-C551279EC6F4 (resized).jpeg8667F85D-3F29-4180-81A6-C551279EC6F4 (resized).jpeg
#22770 5 years ago

Yeah maybe couple spots would do the trick! I did this with my woz and it looks great.

#22771 5 years ago

There are also illuminated starposts out in the shops .... replace the 2 lower starposts from the slings and swap with warm white illuminated ones .. thats what I am planning ... or just 2 pinball spots on the apron like on some Stern machines.
The stadium lights are too bright for me ... dark is the atmosphere in the movies ..... but I would like to see the ball in the lowerpart ...

#22772 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

They have now..

592B2A64-6A6C-4F4A-BBCE-38EB9031C7D1 (resized).jpeg592B2A64-6A6C-4F4A-BBCE-38EB9031C7D1 (resized).jpeg
#22773 5 years ago

Plus backboard GI. Details in the owners’ thread.

#22774 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

They have now..[quoted image]

Huge improvement IMO. So silly that wasn't done after the takeover.

#22775 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

See...different strokes, I think that's too much light. Ruins the atmosphere of the game...plus I don't play in total darkness.

#22776 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

See...different strokes, I think that's too much light. Ruins the atmosphere of the game...plus I don't play in total darkness.

Here’s what just the spots look like. I have set it up so the backboard can be turned off easily.

D212A1CE-40D0-46FE-9879-7616828E0BA1 (resized).jpegD212A1CE-40D0-46FE-9879-7616828E0BA1 (resized).jpeg
#22777 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Here’s what just the spots look like. I have set it up so the backboard can be turned off easily. [quoted image]

Nice!!!

#22778 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

What takeover? Wasn't that a shell company to dump whatever parts they had leftover

#22779 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

What takeover? Wasn't that a shell company to dump whatever parts they had leftover

No, more like a phoenix company setup to protect the important parts if the dying company didn't make the turn before it hit the wall.

#22780 5 years ago

I removed the post below the upper right flipper - makes it easier to hit the chestbuster and vent shots.

IMG_4441 (resized).JPGIMG_4441 (resized).JPG
#22781 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I removed the post below the upper right flipper - makes it easier to hit the chestbuster and vent shots.[quoted image]

I don't personally recommend that, it's there to protect the tip of the flipper from direct ball strikes and stop the flipper being knocked out of angle alignment.

#22782 5 years ago

A really bad idea.
Thers a similar construction at the F-14 on the right upper playfield, often you directly hit the peak of the flipper, the rubber rips off!
Replace the post again!

#22783 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I removed the post below the upper right flipper - makes it easier to hit the chestbuster and vent shots.[quoted image]

In a HUO environment.. so you replace the flipper rubber or bushing every so often. doesn't seem like a big deal to me if you like the shot better without the post.

#22784 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

In a HUO environment.. so you replace the flipper rubber or bushing every so often. doesn't seem like a big deal to me if you like the shot better without the post.

Agree with this. Game plays better and it is easier to hit chestburster with post removed. May need to adjust upper right flipper (1/16 inch towards ball guide) too.

#22785 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Here’s what just the spots look like. I have set it up so the backboard can be turned off easily. [quoted image]

where are your instructions? would love to add some spots and some GI without risk of causing board issue

#22786 5 years ago

So what is the consensus on those last Alien machines that were shipped? Are they working/reliable?

From my observation it seems that they are, which makes it a bigger shame that they pulled the plug on everything.

#22788 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

where are your instructions? would love to add some spots and some GI without risk of causing board issue

do you have the side art lit up on your game? I cannot stress more that if you don't have the sides lit, you are doing yourself a huge disservice. The effect is literally perfect amount of light that it provides and is the reason why the designers did the PF lighting this way.

Mine originally did not have it and after I installed it - the difference was night and day. I tried spots, pinstadiums - this just nails it.

#22789 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

From my observation it seems that they are, which makes it a bigger shame that they pulled the plug on everything.

As a developer who took a game as a component of my remuneration I am simultaneously thrilled to have an Alien pin, sad that buyers got stiffed and frustrated that more pinball players will not get a chance to get their hands on one.

I got a pro and I've upgraded it with beacons and a shaker so I could test the results of using them with light shows, SFX and video together.

In all honesty I have had difficulties keeping the Xeno jaw working. Pushed to its open position it is purely cosmetic but I am going to install a better servo (the $7 one instead of the $5 one) now that I know how to do it (it is a bit tricky).

Otherwise everything works.

I'm going to replace the factory supplied tall yellow beacons with short, green, motor-less beacons. I know it is out of metaphor but green just seems to go with everything else.

It is beyond frustrating to have delivered something to be proud of and to be torpedoed by things out of our control. Next year I will make sure that it shows up at the NWPAS in the spirit of sharing.

ddt

#22790 5 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

It is beyond frustrating to have delivered something to be proud of and to be torpedoed by things out of our control. Next year I will make sure that it shows up at the NWPAS in the spirit of sharing.

You are a class act, thank you for being part of the community. I'm still hopefull that someday a legitimate manufacturer will pickup the IP and more people will be able enjoy the fine work you and the development team put into this.

#22791 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So what is the consensus on those last Alien machines that were shipped? Are they working/reliable?

So far the game has been working and reliable, but not a lot of games on it yet so too soon to know long term.

#22792 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

do you have the side art lit up on your game? I cannot stress more that if you don't have the sides lit, you are doing yourself a huge disservice. The effect is literally perfect amount of light that it provides and is the reason why the designers did the PF lighting this way.
Mine originally did not have it and after I installed it - the difference was night and day. I tried spots, pinstadiums - this just nails it.

i need to light my inside side panels. i saw a pinsider did it with e wire tape. just very pricey

#22793 5 years ago

Just a word of caution to anyone installing a PF protector or otherwise dismantling the PF. The plastics are very brittle. I have installed now 2 plastics back and managed to broke both in the process. One cannot tighten the screws much, otherwise its byebye plastic.

#22794 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Just a word of caution to anyone installing a PF protector or otherwise dismantling the PF. The plastics are very brittle. I have installed now 2 plastics back and managed to broke both in the process. One cannot tighten the screws much, otherwise its byebye plastic.

I've seen a lot of your posts and just can't even imagine why anyone would want to install a playfield protector on this game...any game really, but particularly this game. Anything that needs to be protected can be protected by Cliffy's or Mylar. I Cliffy'd the eject hole and the magnet. I mylar'd the pop bumpers and the playfield screen (that one is actually questionable). That's all you will ever need (If you take care of the game). No amount of play will wear out the playfield if it's properly cleaned & waxed from time to time and you change out worn pinballs when needed.

It should look pristine 20-30 years down the road even with regular play. Playfields that got worn out were ones that never got regular maintenance.

What do you do when the protector gets worn out?...that will be fun.

#22795 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I've seen a lot of your posts and just can't even imagine why anyone would want to install a playfield protector on this game...any game really, but particularly this game. Anything that needs to be protected can be protected by Cliffy's or Mylar. I Cliffy'd the eject hole and the magnet. I mylar'd the pop bumpers and the playfield screen (that one is actually questionable). That's all you will ever need (If you take care of the game). No amount of play will wear out the playfield if it's properly cleaned & waxed from time to time and you change out worn pinballs when needed.
It should look pristine 20-30 years down the road even with regular play. Playfields that got worn out were ones that never got regular maintenance.
What do you do when the protector gets worn out?...that will be fun.

I had some wear happen on other game and decided to put a PF protector on this one to protect it.

#22796 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I'm not sure if all the late model ones were too, and what the build date was on your game, but all the earlier games had acrylic instead of PETG plastics ... so ball strikes or anything other than extremely careful tightening and untightening of screws broke them. It sounds like you have them.

#22797 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'm not sure if all the late model ones were too, and what the build date was on your game, but all the earlier games had acrylic instead of PETG plastics ... so ball strikes or anything other than extremely careful tightening and untightening of screws broke them. It sounds like you have them.

I did not find the build date, but the playfield had been checked on 19 February 2018. It is a later model, but maybe for some reason acrylic plastics had found their way in my game (?) - they are prone to break if one overtightens a screw even just a bit.

#22798 5 years ago

I haven't heard of anything other than acrylic for the plastics.

#22799 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

No wiser words spoken as of late.....the acrylic is incredibly brittle, and the complexity of some of the assemblies are going to cause breakage if you take them apart...period. Then, you have little pieces of glass floating around your playfield (ask me how I know....fortunately, I was able to vacuum all the debris).

We will hope for petg on the way, as the slings will never survive.....

#22800 5 years ago

Speaking of PETG, does anyone make a plastic protector set for Alien? I haven't seen one, so just double checking.

Also, if you were to add some PETG fender washers, what size would be best? I was guessing 3/4" but maybe some different sizes would be applicable to different spots?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,799 (OBO)
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 456 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/456 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.