pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 455 of 601.
#22701 5 years ago

Just a reminder that there are more people in the country with this game than just this thread. Maybe obvious but the one I sold which was perfect and had backup boards and lights was to a member I never see post here so there could be more out there than you think and they work.

For me this game is forbidden fruit. It by far is one of the best out there but at this point and after watching the dust settle I'm not gambling with 9k+ to enjoy pinball. For me that's too much but it pains me to not have this game bc it's that good! I hope for all current owners that this game lasts!

I literally retain this Avatar to show my respect to the best new Pinball game available.

#22702 5 years ago

For all you folks saying kind words about Alien -- thank you so much! Really glad you're enjoying the game. If you haven't already, I'd invite you to take a moment to fill out a game rating for Alien here on Pinside. Obviously, it's just for posterity, but I'm quite curious to see where its ratings wind up when people rate the game when it's working properly.

#22703 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

This toxic wasteland of thread will be dead to me. It's not the history of the machine that's the problem, but the exhibition of people at their worst.

Quoted from Ferret:

For all you folks saying kind words about Alien -- thank you so much! Really glad you're enjoying the game. If you haven't already, I'd invite you to take a moment to fill out a game rating for Alien here on Pinside. Obviously, it's just for posterity, but I'm quite curious to see where its ratings wind up when people rate the game when it's working properly.

Of course, this thread has also shown some people at their best. Hope to see you in the owners’ thread, Ferret.

#22704 5 years ago

I having nothing but respect for you guys!

#22705 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Ditto with the IPDB. And be honest, please.

#22706 5 years ago

I tried to enjoy it, but it broke every time I tried to play it on location. Oh well.

Quoted from Ferret:

#22707 5 years ago
Quoted from Drewscruis:

I tried to enjoy it, but it broke every time I tried to play it on location. Oh well.

And on that note... please don't rate the "pre production" games.

#22708 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

And on that note... please don't rate the "pre production" games.

People rate games with beta software even though they will evolve over time, you can only rate what you've played and had your hands on.

The broken Aliens are part of its legacy, unfortunately.

I do believe though that Joe, Dave, and everyone on the team would benefit from real feedback on what worked and what didn't work, and don't need people to pump the ratings, or try and dismiss people who had a less than stellar experience from a broken game. I believe (and they can correct me if I'm wrong) that is all they are looking for, just some feedback to learn from.

#22709 5 years ago

Dont know if this is the right thread, but that sentry gun mode is pretty cool. Right from the Aliens extended movie. I remember my mom saw it with me when it first came out in the movie theater. She was scared. Awesome scene.

#22710 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

game is still amazing and you guys did a great job with it!

I hope one day it gets made in full production!

#22711 5 years ago

EalaDubhSidhe and frolic are correct: I wasn’t asking people to dishonestly pump up the rating, but I do want to see honest opinions from working games. I mean, every game sucks when it’s broken. Obviously Alien has had more than its fair share of trouble, but there are many properly working games out there, and it seems most people really like those.

And for that matter, I’d be glad to hear extended feedback from anyone about what you like and don’t like about the game — again, assuming a unit that’s electromechanically sound. I’m fortunate enough to be working on another game right now (for American Pinball), and I’d love as much data as possible to help me create something awesome.

#22712 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

ealadubhsidhe and frolic are correct: I wasn’t asking people to dishonestly pump up the rating, but I do want to see honest opinions from working games. I mean, every game sucks when it’s broken. Obviously Alien has had more than its fair share of trouble, but there are many properly working games out there, and it seems most people really like those.
And for that matter, I’d be glad to hear extended feedback from anyone about what you like and don’t like about the game — again, assuming a unit that’s electromechanically sound. I’m fortunate enough to be working on another game right now (for American Pinball), and I’d love as much data as possible to help me create something awesome.

I really like your rules you coded in, and how you balanced risk, reward, and scoring. Are you currently working on any other pins?

#22713 5 years ago

This has always been a problem with the rating system I think of twd it’s how amazing it is now. but sucked early on. It’s not the same pin as when it came out and that can be said for many. Pretty misleading.
Anyway can’t wait for my alien to get here!

#22714 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Are you currently working on any other pins?

Quoted from Ferret:

I’m fortunate enough to be working on another game right now (for American Pinball),

#22715 5 years ago

What game is it??

#22716 5 years ago

Rules on Alien were great and one could write pages about the game and rules. Delving into rules for purpose of creating another game deserves its own topic imo. Rules worked with the game as it was designed. Would the rules have worked on a different layout or another theme? I guess the rules and video and sounds and music and design all meld together.

One unique thing about Alien wasn't software related, but it was integral to the success of the game, an LCD was embedded in playfield and a smaller one hung above it, still under glass. One displays what's on backglass and it is your status and the other shows situational info. This eliminated the need for a player to look away from the game. Easy to get mesmerized by 27" LCD in backbox though. Without that technology/feature, many would have never gone in on Alien preorder. Less money in means Heighway would have imploded sooner. Can someone make a t-shirt that shows a guy playing an Alien and reading - I saved pinball

One trend with rules has been to use one central display window to show game progress. JJP, Stern and Heighway have adopted this practice and did so at the moment they shifted to LCD screen. Games that are more complex require a second game screen and once again JJP, Stern and Heighway pinball did that also. Each has taken differing approaches as to what info to show and how. But LCD has become the norm and this has been embraced. I'd say you'd want to display your progress in the same way - all on one screen, so the rules need some structure.

#22717 5 years ago

First Boutique pinball I actually bought into (after they were in production). After playing for the first time at the Cleveland show, I thought - I have to own this pin. Finally picked one up when Cointaker had a few in stock months later. Had it's issues, but this is still one of my favorites. Too bad the production stopped, I can't seem to hang onto games that are worth quite a bit - prices are getting tempting enough to possibly jump out.

Ferret and the rest of the team - Great game that is very addicting to play. Thanks to all, I consider myself lucky to have owned one.

Scott

#22718 5 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

First Boutique pinball I actually bought into (after they were in production). After playing for the first time at the Cleveland show, I thought - I have to own this pin. Finally picked one up when Cointaker had a few in stock months later. Had it's issues, but this is still one of my favorites. Too bad the production stopped, I can't seem to hang onto games that are worth quite a bit - prices are getting tempting enough to possibly jump out.
Ferret and the rest of the team - Great game that is very addicting to play. Thanks to all, I consider myself lucky to have owned one.
Scott

I was lucky enough to get an LE from Wayne and I’ve simply been blown away with the entire package. It’s got as much wow factor, polish, fit and finish as the two JJPs that I own. It really came a LONG way from when I played it a year earlier.

#22719 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I was lucky enough to get an LE from Wayne and I’ve simply been blown away with the entire package. It’s got as much wow factor, polish, fit and finish as the two JJPs that I own. It really came a LONG way from when I played it a year earlier.

Ditto that. Just got mine set up last night

Built like a tank and surprised at the high quality.

It’s gorgeous. Sound and video are worth price alone

Huge props and thanks to Ferret and crew for making the code great!

Along with David Thiel, Aurich etc

#22720 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

People rate games with beta software even though they will evolve over time, you can only rate what you've played and had your hands on.
The broken Aliens are part of its legacy, unfortunately.
I do believe though that Joe, Dave, and everyone on the team would benefit from real feedback on what worked and what didn't work, and don't need people to pump the ratings, or try and dismiss people who had a less than stellar experience from a broken game. I believe (and they can correct me if I'm wrong) that is all they are looking for, just some feedback to learn from.

Quoted from Ferret:

ealadubhsidhe and frolic are correct: I wasn’t asking people to dishonestly pump up the rating, but I do want to see honest opinions from working games. I mean, every game sucks when it’s broken. Obviously Alien has had more than its fair share of trouble, but there are many properly working games out there, and it seems most people really like those.

Yeah...I wasn't asking anyone to "pump" Alien. There was a pretty massive improvement to Alien in the production games (IMHO). My understanding is that the pre-production games are stuck on the code they shipped with. Many other things were tweaked on the production games as well.

#22721 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ditto that. Just got mine set up last night
Built like a tank and surprised at the high quality.
It’s gorgeous. Sound and video are worth price alone
Huge props and thanks to Ferret and crew for making the code great!
Along with David Thiel, Aurich etc

Code is completed or could it be updated again?
Thanks

#22722 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Yeah...I wasn't asking anyone to "pump" Alien. There was a pretty massive improvement to Alien in the production games (IMHO). My understanding is that the pre-production games are stuck on the code they shipped with. Many other things were tweaked on the production games as well.

I think that is only true if you don't upgrade an early game to the newer computer, mine is one of the first North American prototypes, but it was updated by Nitro before I got it, so I don't know what else they did besides swap the main board. I installed the latest code with no issue, so an early game can definitely be made to run the current software. From what I understand, the early computer was garbage and almost certainly needs to be replaced if that is what you have.

#22723 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Code is completed or could it be updated again?
Thanks

I'd say code is complete. Doesn't seem like any obvious bugs remain and the modes and multi balls play as intended. Can't think of any wants or needs to add. With a lack of anything in code to criticize and lots to praise, you can stick a fork in it ... it's well done.

#22724 5 years ago

Wonder How many games Wayne has left?
They seem to be going quick.

#22725 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

He had 12 LEs that are all gone, not sure how many of the 12 SEs are left.

#22726 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Only the Pinball Brothers know that

I believe Helmet was final QC on all production Alien games and signed off as such.

Can any of the new LE owners post their stickers? It would be interesting to see if these units are still old stock or something else.

4F6C5452-EED2-4F4A-B7FD-84B88C2AD245 (resized).jpeg4F6C5452-EED2-4F4A-B7FD-84B88C2AD245 (resized).jpeg
#22727 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I'd say code is complete. Doesn't seem like any obvious bugs remain and the modes and multi balls play as intended. Can't think of any wants or needs to add. With a lack of anything in code to criticize and lots to praise, you can stick a fork in it ... it's well done.

If there was ever a 1.3, I would like to see a “very easy” chestburster lane setting that awards it from the pops. Or heck - just add it to the buy in button.

#22728 5 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Only the Pinball Brothers know that
I believe Helmet was final QC on all production Alien games and signed off as such.
Can any of the new LE owners post their stickers? It would be interesting to see if these units are still old stock or something else.

Mine looks like this:

EF7ACBBB-EB6F-49F8-8B4F-12574A5FB3A5 (resized).jpegEF7ACBBB-EB6F-49F8-8B4F-12574A5FB3A5 (resized).jpeg
#22729 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

If there was ever a 1.3, I would like to see a “very easy” chestburster lane setting that awards it from the pops. Or heck - just add it to the buy in button.

I wouldn't rule out another software revision; it depends on how Pinball Brothers wants to move forward. I'm certainly willing to help with that (as in donate some of my free time to it). Something along the lines of a home ROM, if they are OK with it.

However I can say that 1.2 has turned out to be a very solid release, and no one should be disappointed if 1.2 is the end of the road.

I have also considered changes to make the chestburster shot easier to score, but that is unlikely. You just have to work at making that shot - it doesn't just happen. The upper left flipper to chestburster shot is makeable with patience and practice.

#22730 5 years ago

Lower left flipper to Chestburster is also makeable. And if Chestburster Shot Diff is set to Easy, sometimes the pop bumpers just toss the ball up that lane for you.

#22731 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Lower left flipper to Chestburster is also makeable. And if Chestburster Shot Diff is set to Easy, sometimes the pop bumpers just toss the ball up that lane for you.

i’m away for a few days. which shot is chest buster?

#22732 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

i’m away for a few days. which shot is chest buster?

Just beyond the upper right flipper there is a target under the upper right pop bumper. A chestburster insert is near the upper right flipper to indicate where it is.

#22733 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

I wouldn't rule out another software revision; it depends on how Pinball Brothers wants to move forward. I'm certainly willing to help with that (as in donate some of my free time to it). Something along the lines of a home ROM, if they are OK with it.
However I can say that 1.2 has turned out to be a very solid release, and no one should be disappointed if 1.2 is the end of the road.
I have also considered changes to make the chestburster shot easier to score, but that is unlikely. You just have to work at making that shot - it doesn't just happen. The upper left flipper to chestburster shot is makeable with patience and practice.

Agreed...the code is quite solid in 1.2, except for the occasional initial boot hang-up.

My only wish on any home version release down the road would be the addition of a Hall Effect field sensor w related coding for xeno tongue.

Seems it could be added under the pf at some area w minimal invasiveness, then coded of course, to only have the tongue come partially out then retract if a ball wasn't there.

I'm certainly game for helping fund the effort, as it certainly would add polish ( along w helping eliminate a random ball strike from the side)....

Great job, as I slowly peel the layers back!!!... Mark

#22734 5 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Bara Pinballbröderna vet det
Jag tror att hjälmen var slutgiltig QC på alla Alien-spel och producerades som sådan.
Kan någon av de nya LE-ägarna lägga in sina klistermärken? Det skulle vara intressant att se om dessa enheter fortfarande är gamla lager eller något annat.

DSC_0117 (resized).JPGDSC_0117 (resized).JPG
#22735 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Heighway pinball is bankrupt, the factory was cleared out.. all the IP assets were transferred to "pinball brothers" who are radio silent now.. if you don't have a game in your possession, you unfortunately will not receive one.

Shit

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Shit man...if you're serious this is not going to be good news for you, as it looks like you paid in full to HW a while back (according to your past posts here) and unless your one of the fortunate few that can afford to pay for the game twice, you would be better off draining this thread and putting this whole thing back in the rear-view mirror. Life is too short to fret over this fiasco.

Shit

Quoted from rubberducks:

Unfortunately it appears he hasn't posted in months.
Some bad news.
The investors pulled the plug as they were continuing to lose money hand over fist, and the hole Andrew left them was much worse than they planned for. No more Aliens will be made, as it's too compromised, too costly, and the license would need to be renewed...

...The good news is that your order appears to be via CoinTaker, if one is to go by your posting history, so per their terms, you can ask for and are entitled to a full refund.
The bad news is that people have been asking for them, and not getting them. Including people posting that CoinTaker repeatedly claim to have posted cheques (but obviously haven't). So you may be in for a wait.

Shit. Nope paid in full via wire transfer in March 2017. Any possible recourse for me? Anyone know how many games got produced? Any retailers have them for sale?

#22736 5 years ago

Sorry to hear of your loss. Don't know about recourse and haven't heard of any active lawsuits. Estimate is between 120 and 200 games produced. Last I checked, Wayne (Ballypinball) in Australia has Standards for sale at $9k US in the marketplace.

#22737 5 years ago

Only 2 Standard SE left and then its all game over

Get in before they are all gone, as i bet they will be $15k within the next year as demand out weighs supply.

#22738 5 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Shit

Shit

Shit. Nope paid in full via wire transfer in March 2017. Any possible recourse for me? Anyone know how many games got produced? Any retailers have them for sale?

Basically most of the actual pinball machines that were produced went to people who didn’t preorder or prepay in advance. People who jumped in at last minute went to the front of the queue, ahead of preorders... this means that other people got the pinball machine instead of you (and me), while WE funded others being able to get the machine.

#22739 5 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Shit

Shit

Not really. That was whilst Andrew was still pulling the strings, and either in the run up to or after TPF, telling anyone that would listen that what ever they wanted was 2 weeks away.

Had it been after the investors took over, you'd have likely got your game, since as far as we know, everyone who paid money after they took over got something.

People could sue him, since he obviously lied to induce purchase, but I'd say the possibility of him not having taken measures to sequester what ever assets he may have out of reach of courts is quite unlikely. So you're likely to get nothing, even if you win.

#22740 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Basically most of the actual pinball machines that were produced went to people who didn’t preorder or prepay in advance. People who jumped in at last minute went to the front of the queue, ahead of preorders... this means that other people got the pinball machine instead of you (and me), while WE funded others being able to get the machine.

While I’m sure there are a couple of people that fit your description, I would say the majority do not. I had a deposit on an LE and most of the other owners I’ve spoken with did as well. There are even a few that were paid in full and then purchased the machine after the shutdown (effectively paying double).

#22741 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

While I’m sure there are a couple of people that fit your description, I would say the majority do not. I had a deposit on an LE and most of the other owners I’ve spoken with did as well. There are even a few that were paid in full and then purchased the machine after the shutdown (effectively paying double).

I'd say that about 20% of the 100-200 pins sold were were bought by people on Pinside or had a separate preorder. Also, I understand that many (not all) of these people bought from the secondary market, meaning they were sold to someone not in on the preorder, who jumped into the queue and just resold (potentially pumping for profit).

#22742 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I'd say that about 20% of the 100-200 pins sold were were bought by people on Pinside or had a separate preorder. Also, I understand that many (not all) of these people bought from the secondary market, meaning they were sold to someone not in on the preorder, who jumped into the queue and just resold (potentially pumping for profit).

Same thing happened with MG and Jpop

Raza, AIW and American Pinball funded those pins. I was right there too

I had a deposit on Alien from day one. It sucks they went down for everybody’s sake

#22743 5 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Shit. Nope paid in full via wire transfer in March 2017. Any possible recourse for me?

Highly unlikely it will do you any good, but contact Mark at MB to make sure you're at least listed as a creditor.

Quoted from oyvindmo:

The meeting was pretty uneventful. There were two main points on the agenda: first to affirm that the company should be wound up voluntarily, and second to appoint a liquidator. The investor group was present, and a few of the larger creditors had submitted proxy votes, and Mark Bowen of MB Insolvency (http://mb-i.co.uk/) was unanimously elected.
One note: Registered creditors have received or will receive a detailed creditors' report, so anyone with a stake in this issue should contact MB with a proof of claim, at the very least to stay informed.

#22744 5 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Shit

Shit

Did you pay direct or cointaker?

#22745 5 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Shit

Shit

Surprised you weren't following this thread before you paid in full.

#22746 5 years ago

my SE 100% work, no problem

20180525_103940 (resized).jpg20180525_103940 (resized).jpg
#22747 5 years ago

What is everyone’s opinions on a pinstadium for alien? Thank you

#22748 5 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

What is everyone’s opinions on a pinstadium for alien? Thank you

Kills the mood IMO.

#22749 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Kills the mood IMO.

I agree with this. EL blades are a must. Too much light and you are doing tunnel hunt in a football stadium.

#22750 5 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Kills the mood IMO.

Agreed. Installing the EL blades helps a lot and it enhances the mood, IMO. It's a pricy upgrade though and it's only available DIY now too.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,799 (OBO)
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 455 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/455?hl=cyber-greg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.