pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 447 of 601.
#22301 5 years ago

There are shaker effects during Ambush Multiball (when the Xenos infiltrate), during Sentry Guns Multiball (when you get a Super Jackpot), during APC (when you crash), during Combat Drop (when you crash), during Queen's Nest (when you blow up the Nest), during Tunnel Hunt (if you get caught), when you get a replay, and probably others that I'm not immediately seeing.

For the specific case you mention, it's relatively easy to qualify the Sentry Guns Super Jackpot, which should have a shaker effect when you collect it.

We tried to balance the use of the shaker so it catches your attention when it happens... it should shake often enough for you to notice during interesting events while playing, but not so often that the shakes are routine and boring.

Hope this helps!

#22302 5 years ago

a great pin needs a cool keychain

42186C34-A0C4-4A1C-9D83-27215FFA5195 (resized).png42186C34-A0C4-4A1C-9D83-27215FFA5195 (resized).png
#22304 5 years ago

Wrong movie mang!

#22305 5 years ago

I know.. I didnt want to bump the predator thread.....

#22306 5 years ago

hello!! : )

After a lot of games played, I really find the shaker too missing it's really a shame.

the beacon deserves to be a little more used, but the shaker really even more. full of moment in action, have expected to have vibrations but nothing. as in sentry guns, at the moment when the machine gun was fired! it must vibrate like a real machine gun, and on a lot of actions like that, we should really feel the action with the shaker.

what do others think?

#22307 5 years ago

I think at this point it is what it is. I doubt there will be another software version, so you'll have to enjoy what you have.

Quoted from cyber-greg:

hello!! : )
After a lot of games played, I really find the shaker too missing it's really a shame.
the beacon deserves to be a little more used, but the shaker really even more. full of moment in action, have expected to have vibrations but nothing. as in sentry guns, at the moment when the machine gun was fired! it must vibrate like a real machine gun, and on a lot of actions like that, we should really feel the action with the shaker.
what do others think?

#22308 5 years ago
Quoted from cyber-greg:

what do others think?

You could always put a powered subwoofer underneath it and crank it way up. It should shake everything at that point.

#22309 5 years ago

When would the beacon be used? In the movies, it wasn't everywhere to be found, so why would it be all over the place on the game? Also don't really see the need for a shaker beyond the guns being fired. Again, where would a shaker be used? Not for "Find Jonesy"! Maybe when you fail at landing the aircraft. I don't feel like movement of (or hunting) the Alien would need the shaker...compared to feeding T-Rex in Jurassic Park, for example.

#22310 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

When would the beacon be used? In the movies, it wasn't everywhere to be found, so why would it be all over the place on the game? Also don't really see the need for a shaker beyond the guns being fired. Again, where would a shaker be used? Not for "Find Jonesy"! Maybe when you fail at landing the aircraft. I don't feel like movement of (or hunting) the Alien would need the shaker...compared to feeding T-Rex in Jurassic Park, for example.

Agreed...wouldn't want a lot of shaker or beacons....just the right amount to keep them special and fun.

#22311 5 years ago

metallica.. shaker all the things! #kidding

#22312 5 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I'm of this mindset, actually. I think the beacons and shaker are quite tastefully integrated w gameplay, and the audio is such that the bottom end fills in nicely when more "impact" is needed (similar to TRON).

The game is quite fun as is for me....

#22313 5 years ago

Tron...Metallica you all are making me miss pins of my past...

20160204_172112 (resized).jpg20160204_172112 (resized).jpg
#22314 5 years ago

Do all the LEs have lighted side cabinet panels?

#22315 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Yes

#22316 5 years ago

MY next project is to make the lighted side panels on my alien.....Need to find someone who has done it

#22317 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Standard editions also have lighted side cabinet panels.

At least my standard edition has the led strip running along the bottom of each side panel, illuminating the sides.

#22318 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Mine does not Im sure it cant be too hard with led strips

Agent_hero. Seeing the glowing green under your Met makes me think it would look great on Alien.

#22319 5 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

At least my standard edition has the led strip running along the bottom of each side panel, illuminating the sides.

It was an option on the SE but one that a lot of people added...I know I did.

#22320 5 years ago

Are y'all getting the OUTSIDE side art lighting confused with the INSIDE EL blade lighting? My understanding was that EVERY Alien machine had the lit outside art. If yours doesn't - I suspect it's installed but just not working.

The EL blades inside the machine were not standard. The art is there for all machines (the eggs and space jockey), but the EL inverter and actual EL blades were an add-on (standard on SE's).

My 'pre-production' game I got at TPF in 2017 had the EL blades. They are AWESOME! Unfortunately, my production replacement did not have them, and it does make the payfield appear too dark IMHO. I've heard from Cointaker they 'may' get some parts form Pinball Brothers, but I'm not holding my breath for that. In the meantime, I've been researching some EL aftermarket options. Obviously there's nothing commercially available that fits the recess exactly - but I've found some 2" x 24" EL panels that I may be able to get looking halfway decent.

#22321 5 years ago

Welp, this showed up today. Still not entirely sure what to do with it, gonna sit in the box for the moment. Some damage to the box itself, game inside seems fine, just tore a little hole in the box. Says LE with black trim, haven't confirmed anything.

I've had people asking me if I'll sell it long before I got it, but until it was here I wasn't really ready to think about it. It's a little sad, but right now I'm inclined to turn it into as much cash as I can get for it and feel like I got paid at least something for all that work. I just don't know that I want to look at it every day.

Time to ponder I guess, but in the meantime here's one of the last pieces of the saga, one of the last games made.

IMG_7108 (resized).jpgIMG_7108 (resized).jpg

#22322 5 years ago

Keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22323 5 years ago

Cash out!

#22324 5 years ago

Damn, you actually got one, reguardless of all the BS its still an example of your work, I'd keep it.

#22325 5 years ago

I'd keep it. For a while at least.

#22326 5 years ago

20K by Christmas in Box, Aurich!
Your Signature on Playfield says so!
( Maybe add a little art to sweeten for sure)

You deserve every penny and more.

#22327 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Welp, this showed up today. Still not entirely sure what to do with it, gonna sit in the box for the moment. Some damage to the box itself, game inside seems fine, just tore a little hole in the box. Says LE with black trim, haven't confirmed anything.
I've had people asking me if I'll sell it long before I got it, but until it was here I wasn't really ready to think about it. It's a little sad, but right now I'm inclined to turn it into as much cash as I can get for it and feel like I got paid at least something for all that work. I just don't know that I want to look at it every day.
Time to ponder I guess, but in the meantime here's one of the last pieces of the saga, one of the last games made.

Damn. Having been through a bunch in my professional career, I can only imagine what you are going through right now (and have gone through). I absolutely love this pin and wish they were being made so more could appreciate it. I understand your desire to get paid. My suggestion is to let things chill for a bit and see if that changes. It might sound odd, but there is something special about having something you worked on: especially a pin.

#22328 5 years ago

I'd open it up and play it for sure.

#22329 5 years ago

Gadzooks! Sell it! Unless you REALLY know how and WANT to work on a machine. Let somebody fix it up and enjoy it. Take the money and run....

#22330 5 years ago

Aurich, whatever you do with it, glad you got it.

#22331 5 years ago

I'd keep it boxed up, if you have room. One day, hopefully soon, all those feelings of animosity and possible hate towards Andrew will be gone. Then you'll finally be able to unbox and play a pin that you helped create.

Or sell the damn thing and get some of the money back that they owe you.

#22332 5 years ago

Keep it in the box and sell it for 20k or unbox it, play it till your sick of looking at it, and then sell for 15k. Either way, its good to see you finally have something for your work.

#22333 5 years ago

I definitely don't have room to just sit on it, if it's getting sold NIB it's going now. Not gonna play some storage speculation game, too much.

I'm whatever as far as Andrew goes really, that's not a big issue for me. I've moved past it all. I just don't know that I want to look at the game itself, and the work I did, and be constantly reminded of what I would have liked to have been able to do differently.

#22334 5 years ago

The answer seems obvious to me.

Sometimes being reminded of this stuff is not a positive thing. If you can't enjoy playing it because of what happened, then what's the point? It is after all ultimately a recreational device, and an expensive one at that.

#22335 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just don't know that I want to look at the game itself, and the work I did, and be constantly reminded of what I would have liked to have been able to do differently.

I think this is the thing people may not understand. It would be one thing if this was an achievement of great pride and joy, something you'd look at, smile and feel good about. However, based on previous posts, it seems like this is more an object of remorse, of what could have been, of what-ifs. It appears that this is not what you would have created if only Andrew had given you the freedom to talk directly with the people controlling the license.

#22336 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I definitely don't have room to just sit on it, if it's getting sold NIB it's going now. Not gonna play some storage speculation game, too much.
I'm whatever as far as Andrew goes really, that's not a big issue for me. I've moved past it all. I just don't know that I want to look at the game itself, and the work I did, and be constantly reminded of what I would have liked to have been able to do differently.

The game is fun man.. i guess it depends how sour it all is.. but it's gotta be pretty cool owning a pinball game you had a hand in.. any team project isn't going to be everything you wanted anyway.

#22337 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Welp, this showed up today

Made up you at least get the choice to stick or twist

#22338 5 years ago

maybe the 'museum of pinball' would buy it to add to their collection.
after all, they recently purchased a zidware 'magic girl'.
they have enough volunteer techs to help try and maintain it.
you could even 'visit' it 3-4 times a year.

#22339 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Keep it in the box and sell it for 20k

Hah! I think if that was the case, it would be gone already....

#22340 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Hah! I think if that was the case, it would be gone already....

I'll bet if he lists it for that, there is a very good chance it will sell for at least close to asking. There many people in this hobby that 20k is basically pocket change and they will want this game in their collection, especially a NIB LE, if for no other reason, for its rarity.

#22341 5 years ago

Lucky.....

#22342 5 years ago

Personally I’m *never* selling mine. I’m very happy with what we created. It’s a damn shame that more people can’t enjoy it.

#22343 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Personally I’m *never* selling mine. I’m very happy with what we created. It’s a damn shame that more people can’t enjoy it.

I honestly think that the rest of the US team should be more proud of their work than I am of mine. For the most part I think we managed to slip the cuffs off for everyone else, the art was just trapped between a rock and hard place. I did the best I could given the circumstances, but I'm not happy about it really. I don't think it looks bad or anything, and I know plenty of people are happy with it, but I hold myself to a certain standard that it didn't really meet. I was forced into things I didn't want to do, and it's just hard to not see it.

Kelly's animations, David's sound, you and Brian's code work, everything else really worked out well. If you're an Alien fan I think it's a damn fine package, I really do. It's just my own personal frustrations.

I saw an LE listed at $13k just sold, so I dunno about $20k, but as basically the last Alien made it's worth something.

#22344 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

It's one hell of a game. Aurich I think you should keep your game because at some point you are going to want to open and play it. I think you'd easily overcome your objections to your own art....just pretend you are someone else. The pin is immersive, fun, dark, intense, challenging etc. heck if you unplug the inner panel lights and dim your room lights, it will be hard to see or think about anything else than the game you are playing. And it is one of the the last games shipped and is probably special in some way.

#22345 5 years ago

Aurich art package for the LEs?
Make it your own.

But; having said that - I get why'd you just want to be "done" with this fiasco.

#22346 5 years ago

I'm hoping that Aurich does a run of PETG plastics one day If he did alternative art that would be double cool.

#22347 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I think you should keep your game because at some point you are going to want to open and play it.

I got to play it the Golden Gate Pinball Festival a few weeks ago, that's when I pretty much made up my mind. I just needed the box to get here before I could really deal with it. Glad I got to play a production version before this arrived, made things a lot easier.

I dunno, it's hard to explain really how it all feels, it's such a mixed bag. I was pretty angry for a while, it really ruined my enjoyment of the whole hobby. I've managed to move past it, but just playing the game was like picking at the scabs. On the other hand I'm really proud of what was accomplished still, it's clearly a game made by people who love the theme, and that counts.

Quoted from Kneissl:

any team project isn't going to be everything you wanted anyway.

For sure. If it wasn't for the extra shit it might be different. For better or for worse I put more of my time and energy than was actually required into this, it became more than a contract gig or art for hire, and that magnified it all.

At the end of the day I think we made a great game, and I understand how people could think I'd want it. There's a good group working on keeping them running, I think it's a pretty safe bet, I feel good about handing it off to someone.

Quoted from Zitt:

Aurich art package for the LEs?
Make it your own.

I thought about it. I can't redo the playfield, but if I wanted to do new plastics or whatever I have all the CAD files, be relatively easy to have my own cut. Redo the backbox however I want, etc. But at this point in my life I think I'd rather put my creative energy into new projects, and not pour any more of my time and emotions into this game, it's had enough.

I'm pretty busy with real life, but I'm trying to finish a pretty cool project for Metallica, I've got an in-progress translite for another game I've thought about doing for a while, I think for now I'm gonna just go back to my roots of doing some fun mods that I control that make people happy. Try and just stay in the positive lane.

#22348 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I saw an LE listed at $13k just sold, so I dunno about $20k, but as basically the last Alien made it's worth something.

For what its worth I bought this from Jim and would have paid up to 15k for it. Since this one is yours, if you were to add a signed translite or something I'm sure you could get over 15k.

With that said, I understand your position but if I were you and had a hand in something as big as the Alien franchise I would keep it. Thats something to possibly tell your kids about and screw any mention of HP.

Best wishes, either way and thanks for your contribution to this game.

#22349 5 years ago

Take your time on the decision, don't let your emotions at this moment drive it. While you have come to grips with with some of them, clearly you have not fully processed and recovered from what has been an in extremely emotional and difficult journey. You can always find someone or some place to store it NIB for you so it is not in your presence, but once you sell it, it is gone.

While Alien and Highway is ultimately a story of 'what could have been', the reality is you were part of some thing special and the machine does represent a lot of hard work and team work from the design team, and having had long talks with two members of the team, I know how proud they are of the work and how fondly they view the design/creative team they worked with -- I have to think there are some very good memories that can be focused on, while forgetting Andrew.

As I said, take your time.

#22350 5 years ago

This may be a bit unpopular but - hold it as long as you can to maximise value. Its going to be worth more every day, especially a LE in the US.

How many BBB were originally made? Heighway made fewer of this and it is a better theme than BBB.

I bought one because I think it looks amazing, (and I wanted to play it) but in your situation it might be better to just store the game for 6 months to maximise the money you can get out of it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
9,799 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 447 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/447 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.