• 25,204 posts
  • 994 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Oneangrymo
  • Topic is favorited by 267 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,921 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ALIEN_Knocker_Bracket-B.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
ALIEN - Logo Kassentür - LIMITED EDITION full.pdf (PDF preview)
ALIEN - Fuse List.pdf (PDF preview)
DSCN6994 (resized).JPG
DSCN6995 (resized).JPG
3100-A Beacon Light Series (resized).jpg
20190813_155912_zpsvfumxni0 (resized).JPG
Heighway Pinball Amplifier Settings.pdf (PDF preview)
DSCN6992 (resized).JPG
DSCN6991 (resized).JPG
321a (resized).jpg
68668210_2659910840699408_4993574568854552576_n (resized).jpg
F7856E74-710B-4DE0-A52E-7A045A8FD23E (resized).jpeg
Installation Instructions_ALIEN Clear Speaker Panels_Averell's Limited Edition_ENG_2019-08-10_22-22-21.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 25204 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 505.
#2151 3 years ago

I like chrome but to be honest I think a nice black finish would be great for Alien too, either way its better than green.

#2152 3 years ago
Quoted from PBFan:

As an owner of a TRON LE - I hate polished chrome. The fingerprints show like a sore thumb and after every round of play you need to wipe with polish. It looks great! - if you don't play your pins but I would never chose it - brushed chrome would be my poison of choice. It really does look great when clean but looks like shit covered in fingerprints. My 2c.

Ditto.....one polished chrome game is enough for me to keep up with.....I'm down for the green.....think it will look badass...

#2153 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I like chrome but to be honest I think a nice black finish would be great for Alien too, either way its better than green.

Black could be cool too....have to wait and see, I guess....

#2154 3 years ago

I'm not giving anything away, I have not discussed this with Andrew. But personally a gloss black with a metallic sparkle in it would probably be my choice if I had my way. Which happens to be the finish on my car too ...

#2155 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not giving anything away, I have not discussed this with Andrew. But personally a gloss black with a metallic sparkle in it would probably be my choice if I had my way. Which happens to be the finish on my car too ...

and underpants Aurich? nothing wrong with it, I myself enjoy a silver with metallic sparkle for my underpants, this is a real photo of me by the way.

#2156 3 years ago

^^^^^ some things can not be unseen!

#2158 3 years ago

And the thread has taken a turn for the worse....happens to the best of them, I guess..

#2159 3 years ago

Naw. Just meant to make you laugh... Nothing else better to do while waiting for Alien...

#2160 3 years ago

Bunch of new posts...update? No, jock pics...

#2161 3 years ago

my-eyes-meme.jpg

#2162 3 years ago

Aurich been testing out ideas on his car ??

image.jpg

#2163 3 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

image.jpg

lipstick_pig_080910_mn1.jpg

#2164 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yup this would be my choice as well. Said it from the beginning black with metallic in it to go with the industrial look as well to match almost any color palette you can throw at it! Aurich, I hear you have a little pull over there at Highway!

#2165 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Aurich, I hear you have a little pull over there at Highway!

I know a guy.

#2166 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Yup this would be my choice as well. Said it from the beginning black with metallic in it to go with the industrial look as well to match almost any color palette you can throw at it! Aurich, I hear you have a little pull over there at Highway!

Having been at the reveal, I said to Andrew how cool black would look. Just goes with the art, with the game and draws the eye where it needs to go. Don't want eye drawn to stainless rails.

#2167 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Heighway isn't a boutique company looking to just sell to collectors, these are definitely built to be real commercial machines, and they're very interested in the operator market.

When I played FT recently, I didn't think it would be a good choice for an operator. Although the machine had a solid / quality feel there were a few problems. The ball got stuck in the center start race hole. I thought it just got stuck or hung up and tried to dislodge it by nudging. But bystanders who seemed familiar with the machine commented, "Oh yeah, that will happen", "You have to switch it off", "You may need to switch it on and off twice". What is that about?

The control system seemed slow: long delay times between balls / players. I was wondering if it was getting lost in its state machine, or too liberal time delays in the code, or just slow processing.

I hope those might just be code updates, but it didn't feel ready for prime time to me.

As long as I'm talking about it, my thoughts on the game play... After all the talk with how fast it feels and flows I was let down in that regard. On making the plunge skill shot, over 50% of the time, the ball drained SDTM, which got tedious. I would think that would be easily tuned? But wondered why it was just set up like that at a promotional event. Then it seemed like the ball lost too much energy going up the ramps and traveled slowly around the curves. I played multiple times and made plenty of clean shots up the ramps. Maybe flipper power adjustment could help, but they didn't feel weak. But worse at the end of the ramp the drop to the inlane was an awkward transition: more of a stop, then drop in which the ball lost lots of energy again. I think that's a flawed design in the drop out of the ramp, it should be a more seamless transition where the ball shouldn't lose that much energy. Anyway, I felt like I was just waiting and waiting for the ball to get back to the flipper, and you couldn't chain ramp shots in a satisfying manner like ST or AC/DC. The fast lap loop was a lot more satisfying though.

As a location player, I was underwhelmed by FT.

#2168 3 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

image.jpg

"Woah, that's a really cool PT Cruiser!" - No one ever

#2169 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

When I played FT recently, I didn't think it would be a good choice for an operator. Although the machine had a solid / quality feel there were a few problems. The ball got stuck in the center start race hole. I thought it just got stuck or hung up and tried to dislodge it by nudging. But bystanders who seemed familiar with the machine commented, "Oh yeah, that will happen", "You have to switch it off", "You may need to switch it on and off twice". What is that about?
The control system seemed slow: long delay times between balls / players. I was wondering if it was getting lost in its state machine, or too liberal time delays in the code, or just slow processing.
I hope those might just be code updates, but it didn't feel ready for prime time to me.
As long as I'm talking about it, my thoughts on the game play... After all the talk with how fast it feels and flows I was let down in that regard. On making the plunge skill shot, over 50% of the time, the ball drained SDTM, which got tedious. I would think that would be easily tuned? But wondered why it was just set up like that at a promotional event. Then it seemed like the ball lost too much energy going up the ramps and traveled slowly around the curves. I played multiple times and made plenty of clean shots up the ramps. Maybe flipper power adjustment could help, but they didn't feel weak. But worse at the end of the ramp the drop to the inlane was an awkward transition: more of a stop, then drop in which the ball lost lots of energy again. I think that's a flawed design in the drop out of the ramp, it should be a more seamless transition where the ball shouldn't lose that much energy. Anyway, I felt like I was just waiting and waiting for the ball to get back to the flipper, and you couldn't chain ramp shots in a satisfying manner like ST or AC/DC. The fast lap loop was a lot more satisfying though.
As a location player, I was underwhelmed by FT.

We respect your opinions, and many of them were addressed just now on our official Heighway Pinball thread:

1. Valentino - The software that controls him is not complete, but will be so shortly, and available in a future update

2. Slingshots - it is simply an adjustment issue because the slingshot sits marginally further back than it should do at the moment. We will send this out to customers as a Service Bulletin. Essentially the front high leaf should be bent to touch the rubber and the smaller activation leaf behind it should be bent forwards until there is a distance of approximately 1mm between both leafs. Doing this will make the slingshots ultra responsive - and yes, they are very strong

3. During playfield printing, the recess gets painted too, continuing the artwork until the the edge of the wood. We had some issues with the plastic panels fitting on the first batches of playfields, so had to sand this area down slightly - and this meant losing the artwork there. We are also working on something for the future - a protective film to overlap the edges of the window - a bit like mobile phone screen protectors. If we bring these to market, then it could be possible for customers to print their own bezels on the plastic film - or we might offer these with printed artwork ourselves

4. Animations - we are looking to add more animations to the software in the future

5. Strong/Weak coils - the strength of all coils is adjustable

6. Ramp return balls - we are looking into this. The general consensus seems to be that the balls do not need to be delivered to the flippers any quicker, as the game is already very fast, and quicker balls here could be uncontrollable - but we are looking into this anyway

7. Side art - a comment was made that operators may fear these getting "kicked in" - ie: cash box security issues. However, there is solid wood behind the side panels so nobody will be able to kick these in. The worst they will do is crack the plastic panels themselves.

8. Player score Visibility - especially during multiplayer games. This is being addressed for a future software update

9. Skipping 'end-of-ball' bonus screens - these can be skipped by pressing both flippers at the beginning of each end-of-ball sequence only, at this point. We are looking to update this so they can be skipped at any point during the sequence.

#2170 3 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

We respect your opinions, and many of them were addressed just now on our official Heighway Pinball thread:

Can't say Andrew doesn't try to provide as much information as possible to the public. Thanks for addressing all of his concerns in clear understandable terms.

#2171 3 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Can't say Andrew doesn't try to provide as much information as possible to the public. Thanks for addressing all of his concerns in clear understandable terms.

Agreed....communication has always been stellar....pretty amazing that after all the gameplay comments, there has only been this one " concerned" poster, and Andrew was more than forthcoming and genuine in his responses. Good stuff....

#2172 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed....communication has always been stellar....pretty amazing that after all the gameplay comments, there has only been this one " concerned" poster, and Andrew was more than forthcoming and genuine in his responses. Good stuff....

Not sure what the "concerned" means. I got my first chance to play and just gave my straight-forward opinions. My only concern is if it was fun enough to pay to play. I'm glad Heighway pays attention to feedback and might address issues. I'll look forward to play an updated machine. I am still surprised people think it plays fast, especially with the awkward ramp-end to inlane transition, that was the most notable slow down in my opinion.

#2173 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Not sure what the "concerned" means. I got my first chance to play and just gave my straight-forward opinions. My only concern is if it was fun enough to pay to play. I'm glad Heighway pays attention to feedback and might address issues. I'll look forward to play an updated machine. I am still surprised people think it plays fast, especially with the awkward ramp-end to inlane transition, that was the most notable slow down in my opinion.

All he meant was your the 1st person to have commented negatively on the speed of the pin. ALL other reviewers to date have noted that it is crazy fast, they can't believe its a wide body. Heck, even Highway decided to change the theme of the pin to Full Throttle from something else because of its speed & flow.

#2174 3 years ago

One time I bit into an apple and it had a worm in it. F@#% apples, they suck and they all have worms! Definitely not for human consumption.

#2175 3 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

One time I bit into an apple and it had a worm in it. Fuck apples, they suck and they all have worms! Definitely not for human consumption.

As an apple eater, I am "concerned" about this...

#2176 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

All he meant was your the 1st person to have commented negatively on the speed of the pin. ALL other reviewers to date have noted that it is crazy fast, they can't believe its a wide body. Heck, even Highway decided to change the theme of the pin to Full Throttle from something else because of its speed & flow.

Exactly...didn't sound like you were randomly hating on it, but rather, "concerned" about it's viability as a route machine based on your experience....I have stumbled on the word of the day......alot of things "concern" me (none pinball related)....

#2177 3 years ago

Not really related to the pin since we're not including the third film, but I loved this so much:

https://twitter.com/tonyszhou/status/631150895648997376

#2178 3 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

On making the plunge skill shot, over 50% of the time, the ball drained SDTM, which got tedious. I would think that would be easily tuned? But wondered why it was just set up like that at a promotional event.

Was this at the Nitro event? I had the same problem with the skill shot draining SDTM almost all the time.

#2179 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Not really related to the pin since we're not including the third film, but I loved this so much:

Awesome. The one linked to in the 2nd or 3rd comment is great too! Off to find a source for that stapler

#2180 3 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

If you already have Full Throttle, what is pricing like for an Alien "swap kit"?

Same question...

#2181 3 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Same question...

60% is preliminary...

#2182 3 years ago

rough guesstimate $6300...60% is $3780

#2183 3 years ago

Plus ship...so essentially another new full blown wide body game--playfield, translite, side panels for less than the price of a stern pro with no service rails

#2184 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Plus ship...so essentially another new full blown wide body game--playfield, translite, side panels for less than the price of a stern pro with no service rails

I don't have any dollar figures, but I can tell you this, shipping a crate with a playfield in it is going to be cheaper than shipping a whole new pinball.

#2185 3 years ago

From the Alien Shot Map:

A: "Space Jockey outlanes and ball saver feature. Danger zone behind flipper adds extra drain risk for careless player."

Glad to hear the Space Jockey may not be forgotten in the Alien pin. This mysterious set piece can only grow more relevant and fleshed out in films yet to come but did make quite an impression in the original Alien film.

Fact: - The Entire Space Jockey scene in Alien was almost scrapped due to the high price tag. Just the set cost a walloping $500,000 to create. But Scott fought, and the alien pilot stayed.

Fact: - The original Space Jockey piece is 27-feet tall.

Fact: - Geiger himself airbrushed the detail for this enormous set for the Space Jockey scene in Alien. The sculpted walls were later used in the egg chamber scene as well.

space-jockey.jpg

#2186 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

From the Alien Shot Map:
A: "Space Jockey outlanes and ball saver feature. Danger zone behind flipper adds extra drain risk for careless player."
Glad to hear the Space Jockey may not be forgotten in the Alien pin. This mysterious set piece can only grow more relevant and fleshed out in films yet to come but did make quite an impression in the original Alien film.
Fact: - The Entire Space Jockey scene in Alien was almost scrapped due to the high price tag. Just the set cost a walloping $500,000 to create. But Scott fought, and the alien pilot stayed.
Fact: - The original Space Jockey piece is 27-feet tall.
Fact: - Geiger himself airbrushed the detail for this enormous set for the Space Jockey scene in Alien. The sculpted walls were later used in the egg chamber scene as well.
space-jockey.jpg

I'll take a 500k practical set over 500k worth of CGI any day of the week

#2187 3 years ago

My favorite funny fact about the space jockey set is that in order to get the scale right part of it was filmed with kids in space suits, so that everything would look bigger.

#2188 3 years ago

We watched Alien this morning, and my son commented on the small amount of credits at the end. I said, ' fewer folks worked hard on this with little to no CGI'

He said, 'Woah, those models and sets must've been months of work!'

Yep. I was into animation in high school. 1980-1981. It was ALL manual labor. Computers? Nope.

#2189 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

My favorite funny fact about the space jockey set is that in order to get the scale right part of it was filmed with kids in space suits, so that everything would look bigger.

Yep, the cinematographer's son and the other two were Ridley Scott's sons.

#2190 3 years ago

Any chance we could get an unapproved leaked toy pic in this thread too?

#2191 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Any chance we could get an unapproved leaked toy pic in this thread too?

...of the Space Jockey? Not even sure there will be a physical representation of it in the pin yet - fingers crossed.
The original...
SJockey.jpg

#2192 3 years ago

It was a Spooky RZSSI joke...

#2193 3 years ago

Will there be any artwork reveal by Heighway pinball at the Pinball Expo in Chicago?

#2194 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Will there be any artwork reveal by Heighway pinball at the Pinball Expo in Chicago?

Stay tuned.

#2195 3 years ago

Haha, that was the fastest downvote ever, I wasn't even done trying to edit the smiley down the post further before it showed up!

#2196 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Haha, that was the fastest downvote ever, I wasn't even done trying to edit the smiley down the post further before it showed up!

Aurich, I upvoted to equal things back out. LOL

#2197 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Stay tuned.

PLEASE!!!....

#2198 3 years ago

Are there actually any concrete details on this thing? Heighway is the first pin manufacturer I'm thinking of buying NIB. I like that I can change games with their machine.

Full Throttle is cool but it just IMO is not exciting enough. I prefer my Getaway gameplay to it. Then again, I prefer my Getaway to everything.

I think there is a ton of potential here but to shell out the big bucks we need more details. Where are the vids? Where is the gameplay?

#2199 3 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Are there actually any concrete details on this thing? Heighway is the first pin manufacturer I'm thinking of buying NIB. I like that I can change games with their machine.
Full Throttle is cool but it just IMO is not exciting enough. I prefer my Getaway gameplay to it. Then again, I prefer my Getaway to everything.
I think there is a ton of potential here but to shell out the big bucks we need more details. Where are the vids? Where is the gameplay?

Short answer: it's still a little too early. Full Throttle just now started shipping, Alien isn't ready to follow it out the gate that fast.

I don't know how many LE games are left, at some point I guess those will sell out. If you're worried about that email Andrew. Otherwise I know we'll be showing things before it's done, and people will have things to make a decision on before they buy if they're not ready to pre-order now.

Heighway is a real company, with a real factory and a lot of plans that are starting to take shape, but they're also a new company, and it's taken some time to get up to speed. Full Throttle shipping I think is a seriously awesome milestone, and I think you'll see the pace pick up, but there's a little bit of patience still needed.

#2200 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The third film isn't very good but I didn't see the movie for many years later and I still knew that scene. I want to say it is an iconic scene in a forgettable movie.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Sale Pending!
Denver, CO
16,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Middleborough, MA
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 25204 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 505.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside