• 24,458 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 263 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24458 posts in this topic. You are on page 437 of 490.
#21801 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

You think the code update will drop soon?

Yes, I expect so.

Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

And Ian Holm's line: "I can't lie to you about your chances. But.....you have my sympathies" for game start.

I think what daudioguy dreamt up for the opening callout series for Alien and Aliens is brilliant, I wouldn't want to mess with game start at all. It's almost an Easter Egg, in that I suspect many people will never realize how much is hiding there.

#21802 1 year ago

Yeah I mean with all the craziness going on I wouldn’t be surprised if the source code “leaked” I mean one accidental email or not enabling security correctly on an FTP site, so much could “accidentally” happen...

Just to clarify I don’t see how this wouldn’t be a great situation for the Alien Pinball ownership community, unless you all plan on funding code updates yourselves directly with the original programmers.

#21803 1 year ago

Does anyone know what happened at the insolvency meeting? Next steps for LE pre-order people?

I realize any $$ is unlikely and hope is last to die but will still try.

#21804 1 year ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

Does anyone know what happened at the insolvency meeting? Next steps for LE pre-order people?
I realize any $$ is unlikely and hope is last to die but will still try.

oyvindmo posted an update in the "Rebirth of Heighway Pinball" thread.

Quoted from oyvindmo:

The meeting was pretty uneventful. There were two main points on the agenda: first to affirm that the company should be wound up voluntarily, and second to appoint a liquidator. The investor group was present, and a few of the larger creditors had submitted proxy votes, and Mark Bowen of MB Insolvency (http://mb-i.co.uk/) was unanimously elected.
One note: Registered creditors have received or will receive a detailed creditors' report, so anyone with a stake in this issue should contact MB with a proof of claim, at the very least to stay informed.

#21805 1 year ago
Quoted from tacshose:

Just to clarify I don’t see how this wouldn’t be a great situation for the Alien Pinball ownership community, unless you all plan on funding code updates yourselves directly with the original programmers.

Not sure what code updates you’re thinking about. I posted yesterday that we do still intend to release 1.2 code, which fixes some bugs and adds a bunch of nice enhancements. Every intended game feature works AFAIK. Not saying there aren’t a couple bugs lurking, because that’s the nature of code... but from a code perspective, owners of Alien are no worse off than owners of, say, Twilight Zone or Family Guy.

#21806 1 year ago

Anyone else at Allentown Pinfest? Got to play this morning, but the Alien here seems to have sold.

#21807 1 year ago

Without going over the entire thread is buying this game suicide? can board issues be fixed? mechs repaired? The game looks awesome. If the pinside community could help owners out it would def be a fun game to have if you can minimize future repair nightmares.

#21808 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Without going over the entire thread is buying this game suicide? can board issues be fixed? mechs repaired? The game looks awesome. If the pinside community could help owners out it would def be a fun game to have if you can minimize future repair nightmares.

For me, the answer is already in your question. I don't want to be dependent on the community to bail me out if I have an issue. Only seasoned pinball veterans should take on a project such as this.

That said, present owners have already banded together here on Pinside and are helping one another. Which I think is the coolest part of this fiasco.

#21809 1 year ago

Not sure how you're supposed to fix the boards if they go, since there are no schematics, no parts lists, not even a manual.

#21810 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Not sure how you're supposed to fix the boards if they go, since there are no schematics, no parts lists, not even a manual.

It depends on what breaks. My Tech has so far has resoldered - 1) opto leads on the apc board 2) (2) flipper coils and soon 3) a new resistor on (2) i/o boards. Other than inconvenience, all have been repairable. But yeah maybe the electrical designer can post a link to board schematics ???

#21811 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Not sure how you're supposed to fix the boards if they go, since there are no schematics

These things exist, people who aren't affiliated with Heighway already have them, I don't think it's going to be a long term issue. Have to wait and see, I don't want to speak about things I'm not qualified to, but I've talked with folks who think making replacement IO boards is doable.

#21812 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

These things exist, people who aren't affiliated with Heighway already have them, I don't think it's going to be a long term issue. Have to wait and see, I don't want to speak about things I'm not qualified to, but I've talked with folks who think making replacement IO boards is doable.

The only concern from my perspective are the IO boards as they are proprietary. If they can be reproduced, I would think you're covered. This is coming from someone not qualified haha.

#21813 1 year ago

What about the big board under pf, it must be proprietary too? Or is it mostly for holding switches, coils and magnetic optos?

#21814 1 year ago

And lights, of course.

As for the IOBoards, I am also unqualified to truly say, but I don't think I'm revealing any top secret corporate knowledge by saying they accept commands from the CPU's USB to turn on lights and coils, and send back information about switch activations. I suspect their general operation is very similar to a Stern node board, or a FAST or P-ROC board, etc. They may be proprietary but they're not rocket science.

#21815 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

And lights, of course.
As for the IOBoards, I am also unqualified to truly say, but I don't think I'm revealing any top secret corporate knowledge by saying they accept commands from the CPU's USB to turn on lights and coils, and send back information about switch activations. I suspect their general operation is very similar to a Stern node board, or a FAST or P-ROC board, etc. They may be proprietary but they're not rocket science.

that's good to hear. I REALLY hope parts are available for this game so it can stick around.

#21816 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I dig the license discussions, but why so much talk about POTC in the Alien thread

Good point, so as long as we are talking about licensing and callouts, let's go to my favorite--Clint Eastwood. Clint was rolling when Dirty Harry was made, but took the time out of his schedule to fly to Chicago and make himself available for all the voice work. Probably didn't get all that much for it, either. Made an average game into a pretty good one. My kind of guy...

#21817 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

For me, the answer is already in your question. I don't want to be dependent on the community to bail me out if I have an issue. Only very seasoned pinball veterans should take on a project such as this.
That said, present owners have already banded together here on Pinside and are helping one another. Which I think is the coolest part of this fiasco.

would def need to contact a few owners before trying to buy the local one for sale

#21818 1 year ago

I finally saw one and got to play one in Ann Arbor, MI today. I liked it. A little sluggish.. but looked fantastic. I haven't been keeping up with the thread, is it over 100%? Are we getting any deposits/money back soon?
Thanks

#21819 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I finally saw one and got to play one in Ann Arbor, MI today. I liked it. A little sluggish.. but looked fantastic. I haven't been keeping up with the thread, is it over 100%? Are we getting any deposits/money back soon?
Thanks

Who is getting paid back money first?

#21820 1 year ago

What the F is a "magnetic opto"...that's a contradiction. Is this like quickstep coils?

#21821 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Are we getting any deposits/money back soon?

Heighway is in bankruptcy proceedings, so should not be paying anything to anyone until a judge OKs it. But word on the street is there’s not much left in the coffers, so customers are unlikely to get much back out of the bankruptcy unless they get the court to go after Andrew or the Pinball Brothers entity that allegedly ended up with many of Heighway’s assets.

#21822 1 year ago

I'm interessted in the statement that there are no Manuals or Schematics available for the ALIEN?
What about the delivered machines in Europe?
I'm not sure what Regulation or Guidelines may grip, but all these Information should be available to the customer?

Unfotunately this could end up in a bug hunt!

#21823 1 year ago

Having just listened to the generally excellent Pinball Profile #127, I want to give a shout-out to Aurich Lawson ... I think I gave him a (awkwardly worded) hat tip during my interview with Jeff that was lost in editing ... Aurich has been a critical member of the Alien team since day 1... his official title was Art Director, but he was responsible not just for all the art for the playfield, plastics, side art, and backglass... he has been a constant influence on the entire dev team to make this game as Alien-y as it could be. He offered a steady stream of feedback on everything we did to make the game as good as it became, literally through today (he posted on our Slack today offering to help with last minute tweaks).

So if you own or play an Alien and love the game that it is, please raise a glass to Aurich. He rocks.

And really, I raise my glass to the entire Alien team. Every one of these guys worked their butts off to make the best game possible, and I'm incredibly proud of the final result, and incredibly proud to have worked with all of them.

#21824 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Having just listened to the generally excellent Pinball Podcast #127

Pinball profile, the pinball podcast is a different podcast.
Here is the link

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/ep-127-the-end-of-heighway-pinball_127244

#21826 1 year ago

I take back what I said about believing the interview to be a waste of time and that it would be soft.

The questions were more adversarial than I expected them to be, and I think the interview was a worthwhile contribution. Good job Pinball News.

I have to say also that with the exception of the early replies, Andrew's answers were a lot less inflammatory than I was expecting them to be. There's a lot of conspiracy theory stuff, and contradictions of other people's stories, but there always is.

I am one of the few people it seems who are very suspicious of the new investors (I keep thinking of that "green trim LE could be yours!" email that went out very recently), so some of what AH said resonated with me. That said, a lot of it could be said to have been "fed" by what others have said on here (eg suggestion of asset stripping, which will come out in the wash in time). A few of the questions were answered in a way that suggested that Andrew simply consolidated a lot of posters suspicions on this thread, perhaps to gain credulity and sympathy, or simply because they are true. Who knows for sure.

The simple takeaway for me, having very little personal experience in this debacle, is that it's a crying shame how it all panned out.

#21827 1 year ago

"The identity of poster ‘Atlantis’ is xxxxxxxx and he can be easily researched in the UK arcade community. We settled our debt before I left Ireland, as he knows. This is nothing more than opportunistic defamation."
lmao I guess he thinks I won't/ doesn't have whats needed to prove myself. So offer is out there that admins here or pinballinfo can have my Facebook account details to verify the long convo that went on years with date stamps after he started heighway pinball.
Don't need to worry as I am deleting facebook anyways after somebody checks it. as for skype I still use it so don't wanna hand that over.

Guess he was a bit ****ed at me popping up and handing out his address to people lol

#21828 1 year ago

Just a lot of deflecting and finger pointing. You would think Andrew was almost a victim with his twisted view points.

It may have been that he was lying to try to make payroll or keep the lights on. But none of that excuses it. It's also not surprising that the investors that were involved long ago with Andrew act in just a shady of a manner as Andrew did.

A sad end to a sorry state of affairs. I'd like to say that now we can consider preorder pinball dead but we all know its not as pinball people act like crackheads half the time. It's no wonder this community is such easy prey.

#21829 1 year ago

It’s classic Heighway blames everyone but himself!

#21830 1 year ago

I guess the truth is in the middle somewhere. Lost a lot of money due to this, but I was of course aware of the risk. For me this was not as big a risk as some of the other startup companies as HP had produced and delivered machines already before I went on board. Seeing how long AH kept the business going seemed to me an indication of the good intent. He also did not abandon the company but left it to the new investors who - as also stated in the interview - promised to make everybody whole.

I was also personally assured that I would get my machines, as well as they put that in the statement that went out on Pinside.

Of course where there is smoke there is fire, but I for one do not know where to put the blame. I only know this venture has ended and it ended badly. Lesson very much learned and I will do everything necessary to recover some of the loss, but will not engage in personal attacks as I am not in the know of everything.

Just my two cents.

#21831 1 year ago

great interview - I mean excellent job!

Shots fired against rubberducks and Kaneda and others...

I will say the creation of this pinball brothers really is suspect but also is the creation of his new company is suspect too.

Interesting comment about the technical issues regarding the IO boards - even the designer not being able to fix before he left? First time I've heard this.

#21832 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I was also personally assured that I would get my machines, as well as they put that in the statement that went out on Pinside.

Well, that's the the thing, they did put that statement on Pinside. Everyone was told they'd get their pinball machines. Obviously Andrew was told the same thing. I do believe him when he says that was most important to him.

Re-reading their announcement is pretty illuminating. Combined with the fact that the "new" investors were the "old" investors, who had been involved the whole time.

Then of course was how they ran it from that day forward, and this whole thing about "Pinball Brothers" that was incorporated right at that same time and then the apparent gut and transfer of materials started. WTF is that all about.

#21833 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

WTF is that all about.

About saving as much of their investment as possible as they knew Alien and HP was toast.

#21834 1 year ago
Quoted from jgentry:

About saving as much of their investment as possible as they knew Alien and HP was toast.

Yes, so it seems. But if that is true they never intended to continue the company, seeing the timeframe.

#21835 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Yes, so it seems. But if that is true they never intended to continue the company, seeing the timeframe.

..whilst asking people for the balance of their order for "cancelled green trim LE machines" that probably never existed.

#21836 1 year ago

My main concern about this new company and investors is whether or not statements made post Heighway 1.0 were knowingly misleading in regards to meeting commitments or getting people to provide new funds.

#21837 1 year ago

"Pinball Brothers" ? "Pinball Mother-fuckers" more like.

These investors need the law involved because this Phoenix company has bad intentions written all over it. The calculated loss of trickling out of the odd refund to keep others hopeful and stringing out the timeline whilst shifting assets sideways must be cause for legal proceedings surely, how does this get initiated? Is someone on here on the case?

I don't care for Andy and his shady bs, he came to my house to borrow pins for an event and I believed he was genuine at the time but all the recent revelations show what a snake he was even before the alien fiasco. I'd like to apologise for being a fan boy somewhere miles back on this thread, I hoped it was all going to end well with a successful uk company in the market, not this shower of finger pointing and hatred. I hope atleast there will be some justice legally and these investors held accountable.

#21838 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I take back what I said about believing the interview to be a waste of time and that it would be soft.
The questions were more adversarial than I expected them to be, and I think the interview was a worthwhile contribution. Good job Pinball News.
I have to say also that with the exception of the early replies, Andrew's answers were a lot less inflammatory than I was expecting them to be. There's a lot of conspiracy theory stuff, and contradictions of other people's stories, but there always is.
I am one of the few people it seems who are very suspicious of the new investors (I keep thinking of that "green trim LE could be yours!" email that went out very recently), so some of what AH said resonated with me. That said, a lot of it could be said to have been "fed" by what others have said on here (eg suggestion of asset stripping, which will come out in the wash in time). A few of the questions were answered in a way that suggested that Andrew simply consolidated a lot of posters suspicions on this thread, perhaps to gain credulity and sympathy, or simply because they are true. Who knows for sure.
The simple takeaway for me, having very little personal experience in this debacle, is that it's a crying shame how it all panned out.

Having been one of the tiny handful of depositors who received a refund I can say that the major issue of credibility with Andrew was his lack of timely ( weeks or months) responses to refund requests, while folks wanting to make payments got immediate responses. So actions speak louder than words. The man has no credibility looking in hindsight and this whole ‘ tennis match’ of its his fault is irrelevant to folks who lost money.

In the future, any pinball startup better have a product ready or already made to sell. Way to toxic to preorder for anyone no matter how altruistic their intentions.

Company takes a risk. What a novel fucking idea.

#21839 1 year ago
Quoted from Atlantis:

"The identity of poster ‘Atlantis’ is xxxxxxxx and he can be easily researched in the UK arcade community. We settled our debt before I left Ireland, as he knows. This is nothing more than opportunistic defamation."
lmao I guess he thinks I won't/ doesn't have whats needed to prove myself. So offer is out there that admins here or pinballinfo can have my Facebook account details to verify the long convo that went on years with date stamps after he started heighway pinball.
Don't need to worry as I am deleting facebook anyways after somebody checks it. as for skype I still use it so don't wanna hand that over.
Guess he was a bit ****ed at me popping up and handing out his address to people lol

Dump the info to a file and upload it. Then there is no partiality. Anyone can view it.

Re: skype, you can just hide your ID.

#21840 1 year ago
Quoted from Atlantis:

Lol?
You posted up his home address?

That's pretty f'd up right there and your laughing about it.

Maybe you should just post up your address? I'm sure there may be a few crazies that might want to stop over.

#21841 1 year ago
Quoted from Travish:

Lol?
You posted up his home address?
That's pretty f'd up right there and your laughing about it.
Maybe you should just post up your address? I'm sure there may be a few crazies that might want to stop over.

If someone owes me money and has a track record of scamming folks - I’m posting their address and any other details I have. Next.

#21842 1 year ago

I played this a VFW. Man this is a DARK game. I mean you either have to put Stadium Lights in or play it in a well-lit environment. I get the dark vibe of the move but in a dark room, like VFW, the playfield is so dark that we didn't realize there were two upper flippers right away. Damn near impossible to see many shots.

As for gameplay, I loved the way the theme is integrated into the game but I'm not sure if nostalgia wasn't causing me to think of this game being better than it actually is.

#21843 1 year ago

I’m one of the suckers that believed Andrew when he promised to expedite shipping if I paid up front. Damn. At least with Houdini, I actually got a game by paying up front.
I wonder if Alien will or can be picked up by anyone else. This could be a great title if a legitimate pinball manufacturer took on the license. Maybe Spooky or JJP?

#21844 1 year ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Just a lot of deflecting and finger pointing. You would think Andrew was almost a victim with his twisted view points.
It may have been that he was lying to try to make payroll or keep the lights on. But none of that excuses it. It's also not surprising that the investors that were involved long ago with Andrew act in just a shady of a manner as Andrew did.
A sad end to a sorry state of affairs. I'd like to say that now we can consider preorder pinball dead but we all know its not as pinball people act like crackheads half the time. It's no wonder this community is such easy prey.

Lies and “it’s just business” seem to go hand in hand with most people. The problem is that one lie leads to two, leads to ten, and then we enter fraud land if one doesn’t pull out of the nosedive. I do understand the initial desire to put on a better face than you know is reality. Last thing someone whose company is down wants is a run on the bank. But it is a slippery slope and for those lacking an ethics chip can lead to very bad places as seem to have occurred in this instance. I’ve always put personal integrity first. Don’t do that and self justification starts to become rampant. Add a narcissistic personality into the mix and it’s a disaster, one that the instigator of it all backs away from all the while pointing fingers at others saying “he did it.”

#21845 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

If someone owes me money and has a track record of scamming folks - I’m posting their address and any other details I have. Next.

I didnt say he doesn't deserve everything he gets but putting his family and kids at risk because of some nut job with a "vendetta" by posting his home address IS f'd up. Next.

#21846 1 year ago

You know the rules. No women, no kids.

#21847 1 year ago
Quoted from Marv:

You know the rules. No women, no kids.

.. and no violence.

#21848 1 year ago
Quoted from Travish:

I didnt say he doesn't deserve everything he gets but putting his family and kids at risk because of some nut job with a "vendetta" by posting his home address IS f'd up. Next.

Or a businessman puts his family and kids at risk by "allegedly" scamming people out of thousands of dollars repeatedly while skipping off happily to a new business venture and potentially doing the same. Leave the responsibility where it deserves to be.

#21849 1 year ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Or a businessman puts his family and kids at risk by "allegedly" scamming people out of thousands of dollars repeatedly while skipping off happily to a new business venture and potentially doing the same. Leave the responsibility where it deserves to be.

No. Just no. Andrew is to blame. If something were to happen to his family then he is NOT to blame. No family should be put in physical risk because of a failed business under any circumstances. Because thats not how we do things anymore.
No one is giving Andrew a "pass" by saying it might not be a good idea to doxx his family.

#21850 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

And really, I raise my glass to the entire Alien team.

I've said it all along, at the Expo talks, here on Pinside, privately, but working with the US team on Alien is the best thing that came out of this whole experience.

I haven't listened to the Andrew interview, probably won't, ready to move on with my life really. Glad to hear it wasn't softball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24458 posts in this topic. You are on page 437 of 490.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside