• 25,772 posts
  • 1,010 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by dgpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 273 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,048 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

585009D5-D67F-44B4-B001-2ED74F02C911 (resized).jpeg
DSCN7289 (resized).JPG
DSCN7288 (resized).JPG
E9A3F438-43B6-4EE9-B7B9-059640E61E98 (resized).jpeg
E1261283-0CCC-4A02-A73D-6474FCAEB78F (resized).jpeg
oprah alien give a way (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs 5 (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs 4 (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs 3 (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs 2 (resized).jpg
Hudson BDUs (resized).jpg
yx2dpyyljmoowqz60q9i (resized).jpg
Connector (resized).JPG
c679a9e13b3dcfe925b2b43c9193f017ecf95e86 (resized).jpg
4150658_0 (resized).jpg
C97DC8BA-5D2E-4817-AB8C-373D505C5068 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 25772 posts in this topic. You are on page 400 of 516.
#19951 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

welcome back!
I REALLY like the idea of having the post come up as I feel MB ambush is really hard to hit jackpot. I know it's intended but that would be helpful.

It would still be really hard with the post, as we can’t stage flipper in the game.

#19952 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The notion that if they can just build enough units of Alien everything will be fine is flawed. Their future rests on #3.

I can agree with the premise of this, but the success of #3 is directly connected to Alien. There can be no success with #3 without success from #2.

What is success? It doesn't have to be 2000 units, but obviously delivering reliable units, demonstrating that the factory can actually produce more than a couple of pins a day, supporting customers with service and parts, demonstrating a healthy company that will be around to support their product, an actual support system where anyone can get a timely response, obviously can't have loose ends like people requesting refunds from a year+ ago.

#19953 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

I can agree with the premise of this, but the success of #3 is directly connected to Alien. There can be no success with #3 without success from #2.
What is success? It doesn't have to be 2000 units, but obviously delivering reliable units, demonstrating that the factory can actually produce more than a couple of pins a day, supporting customers with service and parts, demonstrating a healthy company that will be around to support their product, an actual support system where anyone can get a timely response, obviously can't have loose ends like people requesting refunds from a year+ ago.

Of course. But Alien's never going to be a commercial success now.

I suspect that's the biggest mistake the owners made - assuming there was far less work than needed to fix it to an acceptable state, and that they could sell enough to operate without loss quite quickly.

#19954 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

There's no way they'll ever sell 2000 units.
However much it has been improved, and how ever much it improves henceforth, it will still always be a compromised product of Andrew's tenure. It's to their credit - staff and owners - that it is where it is now, but it still has a legacy, as Dave alluded to in the interview, saying that some problematic aspects would be done very differently for #3.
Moreover, I think most interested parties are cognisant of this.
Plus, as people continue to allude to, the cab head and glass magazine do the machines no favours when sitting in a showroom next to other games. Even if they don't look bad, they do look strikingly strange. 2000 is a lot of product for something obviously oddball.
The notion that if they can just build enough units of Alien everything will be fine is flawed. Their future rests on #3. IMO it will be a real achievement if they sell 500-750 Aliens.

What could be the market for a top title that would be available worldwide and has the interest of a lot of potential customers (not referring to Alien) ?

#19955 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

What could be the market for a top title that would be available worldwide and has the interest of a lot of potential customers (not referring to Alien) ?

Impossible to say until we see it. But wider distribution, hopefully a lower price and odd aspects of Alien & FTh being removed would certainly help.

#19956 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Impossible to say until we see it. But wider distribution, hopefully a lower price and odd aspects of Alien & FTh being removed would certainly help.

I mean in general. How much potential buyers of a pinball machine are there? Just to put into perspective what the market is these days.

#19957 1 year ago

I think outside of the massive machinery of Stern and to a lesser extend JJP, the best a 2nd (or 3rd) tier pinball company can expect to sell would be in the low to mid hundreds.

Spooky seems to have that number dialed in, and has built a business around it. I don't know what it takes for Heighway to succeed but I don't think 200-300 per title is it.

#19958 1 year ago

I mean in general. How much potential buyers of a pinball machine are there? Just to put into perspective what the market is these days.

You mean the number of people buying one or more NIB in a year?

I don't think anyone really knows. It would certainly be valuable information for both the incumbents and outside parties looking in, though.

#19959 1 year ago

So I'm reading between the lines now and it seems Heighway might drop the kit system, for dedicated cabinets, but I would implore them to at least figure out how to allow Full Throttle buyers to switch to an Alien. If it's a 2 game failed idea like Pinball2000, at least make it 2 games.

#19960 1 year ago

On top of everything else, I'm sensing Alien fatigue. As great a theme as I believe it to be, it now seems stale and dated.

I don't know but it's my guess the market may feel this way. The new game sensation is long gone.

#19961 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

So I'm reading between the lines now and it seems Heighway might drop the kit system, for dedicated cabinets, but I would implore them to at least figure out how to allow Full Throttle buyers to switch to an Alien. If it's a 2 game failed idea like Pinball2000, at least make it 2 games.

speculation of course, but, seems unlikely they will dedicate any time to kits if they are itching to put out #3 and trying to shore up Alien which will allow them to put out #3 without massive blow back. I hope I'm wrong since we've heard they tested Full Throttle with the new CPU and they were "designing" the shipping options for kits but looks like a long shot right now. Huge bummer for the "early adopter" crowd. Ah well, Full Throttle is fun on it's own and mine has been solid so far.

#19962 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

On top of everything else, I'm sensing Alien fatigue. As great a theme as I believe it to be, it now seems stale and dated.
I don't know but it's my guess the market may feel this way. The new game sensation is long gone.

Really? I feel like the market is looking for anything remotely good associated with the series bc so many disappointments recently. This game def doesn't disappoint so I would think it fills in that need well. They just need to make them...

#19963 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

This, sadly, is quite true. If the LE's show and knock it out of the park, it will slowly heal the wounds. But not for all. The hype (and years ago, rightfully so) was over the top, as FINALLY, a true grail sci-fi/ horror title emerged with great promise.

Alien itself (purely theme based), can provide generations of staying power, imho, however, damage has been done. For so many that were in YEARS before this new generation of standards landed, it's hard to keep excitement at all. We are all sort of in a "I just want the game" mode (speaking for myself).

Will I get mine? chances are good, I believe. My feeling will be more of relief than excitement...sort of sums it up. And there isn't a single person on this thread that was more excited for this game than me. I can't truly know how the machine will live with me, as early adopters were basically pushed aside, not even a part of the current Alien Club. Many of us could have/ would have offered unique and dedicated passion, from an engineering standpoint, to assist these early woes. But even Aurich didn't get a game to critique. We are witnessing "commando pinball repair" at it's finest, from experienced to newbie owners (hence the hit and miss on many topics).

The damage has been done. Game QC/ delivery and communication must improve dramatically for it to merely survive. Thriving.....a whole other story. Not sure they may ever understand this......unfortunate.

Game 3??? I'm still of the opinion HW goes on the sword w Alien...is what it is....

#19964 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

Completely agree w this statement.......

#19965 1 year ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

1. When you have the super jackpot lit for ambush multiball, allow the posts to pop up when a player hits the orbits so that there is an additional way to feed the upper right flipper. Right now, only a direct CB can feed it which is extremely difficult with 2 or more balls. Give us a tad more hope aside from a stray shot.
2. In the mini wizard modes, my game doesn’t show time remaining for the mode on the mini lcd screen like the other modes. That would be nice to have.

Both of these refinements are in the queue for the next software update.

#19966 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

Supposedly FTh was working on a PC system long ago. If that was true then and still holds, then theoretically there should be no technical reason why they can't sell a kit to FTh owners.

#19967 1 year ago

If they are to survive they have to drop the kit system - there is just no demand for it.

That would then ensure a cabinet re-design so Queen might be half decent.

But it will take a long way to gain people's trust again.

#19968 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

If they are to survive they have to drop the kit system - there is just no demand for it.
That would then ensure a cabinet re-design so Queen might be half decent.
But it will take a long way to gain people's trust again.

The only way they gain people's trust is to not just get all the Alien games and refunds due to people ASAP, show much better support for FT and Alien, provide schematics / owner's manuals, and start shipping Alien in quantity with quality. Then when game 3 is ready don't announce it or release it until you are ready to start shipping them, no pre-orders, no six month or more waiting period.

#19969 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The only way they gain people's trust is to not just get all the Alien games and refunds due to people ASAP, show much better support for FT and Alien, provide schematics / owner's manuals, and start shipping Alien in quantity with quality. Then when game 3 is ready don't announce it or release it until you are ready to start shipping them, no pre-orders, no six month or more waiting period.

And maybe test the games before shipping?

#19970 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Really? I feel like the market is looking for anything remotely good associated with the series bc so many disappointments recently. This game def doesn't disappoint so I would think it fills in that need well. They just need to make them...

To be perfectly frank, there was a time when all we needed to do to sell the game was say "it's not Colonial Marines".

#19971 1 year ago

Has anyone replacement there Alien head? Because the service bulliten the helmet sent me 6 months ago doesn't show the switch on top of the head being wired? Can someone confirm that it's not wired

1518303754918338568460 (resized).jpg

#19972 1 year ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Has anyone replacement there Alien head? Because the service bulliten the helmet sent me 6 months ago doesn't show the switch on top of the head being wired? Can someone confirm that it's not wired

Has to be wired, it’s what says active or inactive for the head motor.

#19973 1 year ago

ferret I ran into an infinite sentry gun mb just now after an incredible game of 6 modes and mini wizard on ball 2, that totally locked up the game. When sentry started, I had lost a ball and used the smart gun to start the mb so I would continue on. No balls were released and the game just stuck there.... I attempted to release 2 balls manually and let them drain to end the MB and nothing happened. I couldn’t move forward. I saved the debug and audit after that. Can you shoot me the email to send em to?

#19974 1 year ago

ferret I ran into an infinite sentry gun mb just now after an incredible game of 6 modes and mini wizard on ball 2, that totally locked up the game. When sentry started, I had lost a ball and used the smart gun to start the mb so I would continue on. No balls were released and the game just stuck there.... I attempted to release 2 balls manually and let them drain to end the MB and nothing happened. I couldn’t move forward. I saved the debug and audit after that. Can you shoot me the email to send em to?

Right here
alien@joe.tater.org

#19975 1 year ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Yep it’s wired up.
Should have come with a couple of small boards as well, to hook it up to.

ADF86892-1573-48C0-90F5-1ACF0045F57E (resized).jpeg

#19976 1 year ago

What about this, is this how it's wired? Because at the cle show on the last day this coil came loose causing it the short and blow f2. Helmut sent me 2 new coils but it still continues to blow f2 and you can say what you want about stern bit I anit never see a service bulletin from them with this much crap being removed and replaced

20180210_190837 (resized).jpg

15183079674851936956242 (resized).jpg

#19977 1 year ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

What about this, is this how it's wired? Because at the cle show on the last day this coil came loose causing it the short and blow f2. Helmut sent me 2 new coils but it still continues to blow f2 and you can say what you want about stern bit I anit never see a service bulletin from them with this much crap being removed and replaced

While I understand your frustrations, you didn't buy from Stern, you bought a boutique pin from a game maker that has only made one other game. I would think it comes with the territory

#19978 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Of course. But Alien's never going to be a commercial success now.
I suspect that's the biggest mistake the owners made - assuming there was far less work than needed to fix it to an acceptable state, and that they could sell enough to operate without loss quite quickly.

It's not past the point of no return. Good success in the future can erase the past. Just look at woz... or even titles like AC/DC. Make a game people want, that works, and they can buy... and the past is forgiven in this hobby.

Who talks anymore about how badly jack strung people along and basically lied to? Or about deposits on MMr?

Do it well going forward... and the growing pains will become history

#19979 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

While I understand your frustrations, you didn't buy from Stern, you bought a boutique pin from a game maker that has only made one other game. I would think it comes with the territory

1. Not my game, I'm just the one trying to get it back together because it's been sitting in my shop for 6 months broken, all the while Helmut promised parts every other week that never showed until I started blasting him on FB.

2 you think it's ok to drop 7k on a toy that doesn't work, And the manufacturer expects you to fix it......talk about first world problems.

3. I'm frustrated because I'm tried of being lied to and I'm sure so is the owner

#19980 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Supposedly FTh was working on a PC system long ago. If that was true then and still holds, then theoretically there should be no technical reason why they can't sell a kit to FTh owners.

It would be cheaper for HW to just offer a one time discount to those buyers and move on. It's not worth the operational time and support for something you will make nothing on and only serve to distract your limited resources.

Offer those buyers a discounted buy on alien and close that book forever

#19981 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

So its the customers fault?

#19982 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

So its the customers fault?

People must be crazy to think after they drop 7k on a game it should work more then 3 day

#19983 1 year ago
Quoted from pingod:

Yep it’s wired up.
Should have come with a couple of small boards as well, to hook it up to.

in your photo, it looks like your mech tongue doesnt return home either....

#19984 1 year ago

Here's a real bargain if someone is looking for one.
ebay.com link

#19985 1 year ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

ebay.com link

Good Grief!!!!

#19986 1 year ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

ebay.com link

The price is bad enough...but the kicker is HE DOESN'T EVEN HAVE IT!

#19987 1 year ago

lol @ "the LEs are long sold out"

#19988 1 year ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

ebay.com link

Flip it for a coupla G on arrival? F that! After this wait you will pry this machine from my cold, dead hands.
(Although, you may have to put it INTO my cold dead hands when it arrives first at the current rate..haha)

#19989 1 year ago

in your photo, it looks like your mech tongue doesnt return home either....

That’s right,this one doesn’t work right.
Came that way after waiting a long time to get it.
Gears are stripped,or not lined up right.

The one in my other game works good.

#19990 1 year ago

Ready to get my LE. I've got my team assembled.

alien_service_crew (resized).jpg

#19991 1 year ago

Hell, every single person I've talked to in person about the Alien pin have never even heard of it in anyway lol. I've been to pin comps, small arcade events and museums and not 1 person has ever heard of this pin or Heighway pin. This has been in Arizona, Nevada, California and New Mexico. So advertising is another issue this Pin has among the countless others. So I guess in a way, that's good news for Heighway as when they do get their shit together, people might hear about them for the first time in the good light...and not know the darkside that happened lol.

#19992 1 year ago

News travels fast. Bad news travels faster and further.

#19993 1 year ago

Finally took some time to get out the tools and work on this b!itch -
#1 trough not detecting balls correctly - removed and reseated connectors - fixed for now
#2 mode start trough not detecting balls correctly - had to custom bend the switch wireform to allow switch to open when trough is empty - seems to work now
#3 Xenomorph targets - after removing some of the material on the left brace that was good - right target had to move forward and then bend the brace back to allow enough clearance to allow the switch to work and the mouth to open. Tight tolerance there, but working now.
#4 Ball launch still having issues - planning on making a custom wedge to align the shooter - still open.

New issue - mode kickout seems not very smooth - looks like it hits the lip of the wood hole in the front. Will have to figure out how to tweak the unit.

At least I can play a friggin game at this point. And to be clear - I love the game, but it was f'd up big time when I got it.

Scott

#19995 1 year ago
Quoted from Frli002:

This game is so great to play, had a pretty nice run at it tonight. All works great

Show off!

#19996 1 year ago

Anyone know what flipper retention springs are used? My upper right and lower left flipper both snapped in half....

#19997 1 year ago
Quoted from Frli002:

This game is so great to play, had a pretty nice run at it tonight. All works great

Put the glass back on, turn off the eb, Revives to once per ball, jack the back up to 7.5 and put settings on hard

#19998 1 year ago

Put the glass back on, turn off the eb, Revives to once per ball, jack the back up to 7.5 and put settings on hard

Humor feels especially good here, thanks!!!

#19999 1 year ago

omg plz, grow up already. No Alien le in us yet

#20000 1 year ago

#85 sit fine here for about two months now

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Helsinki
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 221.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
There are 25772 posts in this topic. You are on page 400 of 516.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside