• 24,458 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 263 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24458 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 490.
#1901 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Is the LE going to sell out or can we decide later?

Well if it never sells out then we screwed something up badly!

I doubt it will sell out until after the full game is revealed. Then I personally hope it sells out fast! Who knows though.

Quoted from ledge:

did i miss reading any mention on an australian distributor for heighway?

I think Andrew said he was talking with someone, but I'm not sure. I know he intends to sell games worldwide, and has been talking with a lot of people. Beyond that I couldn't be more specific.

Quoted from rai:

this is my point while I know the two sets of rules will mesh up like if you finish one side you can continue to the other, but it's possible with the music and the pacing and action the two sets of rules can make the game feel different depending on which one you pick. And it's nice if you are not the best player, you can sample both movies not have to fight through the first one every time.

This is subject to change once we've play tested further, but right now the thinking is that you'd pick your film at the beginning, and then need to finish it before you could do the other one in the same game. But you can start with either, depending on your mood.

There are also things to do outside of modes that will draw from both films, but won't be in the mode tree.

I'm sure we'll talk about the rules more later, but probably not until there's been more testing and coding, so we can change and tweak as we see fit without worrying about people expecting things that we've told them about.

#1902 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well if it never sells out then we screwed something up badly!
I doubt it will sell out until after the full game is revealed. Then I personally hope it sells out fast! Who knows though.

I think Andrew said he was talking with someone, but I'm not sure. I know he intends to sell games worldwide, and has been talking with a lot of people. Beyond that I couldn't be more specific.

This is subject to change once we've play tested further, but right now the thinking is that you'd pick your film at the beginning, and then need to finish it before you could do the other one in the same game. But you can start with either, depending on your mood.
There are also things to do outside of modes that will draw from both films, but won't be in the mode tree.
I'm sure we'll talk about the rules more later, but probably not until there's been more testing and coding, so we can change and tweak as we see fit without worrying about people expecting things that we've told them about.

Sounds similar to Transformers

#1903 3 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

i know..
but hey, no Ripley? she should be somewhere. maybe.

Oh you can get her......

Just ask yourself: how much are you ready to spend? Hot Toys for the win.

10511348_334175896740042_8842102604205583579_n.jpgIMG_1365.JPG

#1904 3 years ago

thanks Aurich,
im sure theres a lot of interest here in aust. not just for aliens, but anything heighway does now and in the future..
they have proved themselves, in getting pins out, and not only that, customer relations is right up there...
i.e. keeping customers up to date, in the loop and whatever...
the business model is pretty much dialled.

#1905 3 years ago

I've never played Transformers, so I couldn't say. Given its rep though I think we'll stay away from comparisons to it.

#1906 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So, I watched both Alien and Aliens last week (crazy enough, not in that order). Man, there is some great material to choose from that can be implemented in a pin.
It was fun watching these again, it had been awhile. Both are great films, although they are actually quite different. I have a preference for the original, as I think the writing is tighter and the acting was better. It was more a sci-fi film compared to the second, which was almost more of an action film than a sci-fi film, with more humor. I can see how some would find the sequel to be more entertaining than the original though.

Agreed....I like both movies, but the first has a shock value as well, and comes off as more of a " classic" . Well written..just a cool flick.....second was a great sequel, action, action, and a million one-liners.....

#1907 3 years ago

Picked up one of these on a recent visit to Charleston....will have to do until the pin arrives:

image.jpg

#1908 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've never played Transformers, so I couldn't say. Given its rep though I think we'll stay away from comparisons to it.

Lol! It's a fun pin, I own a LE. It's unique, because it does feel like 2 different pins. Sure the shots are similar, but the call outs, sounds, & dots are totally different. It's a great idea for Alien! And I'm sure there will be no comparison in final product, Alien will be far superior!

#1909 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Is the LE going to sell out or can we decide later?

No way it doesn't sell out quickly after a major reveal of sorts.....many in, and many, many more chomping at the bit....

#1910 3 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

did i miss reading any mention on an australian distributor for heighway?

Zax Amusements, Melbourne, they have one on the showroom floor.

#1911 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Picked up one of these on a recent visit to Charleston....will have to do until the pin arrives:
image.jpg

But do you have a 8' Alien? Me neither, it's a fellow pinsiders, & unreal! Hand crafted from metal motorcycle parts!

030001da.jpg

030001e3.jpg

#1912 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

But do you have a 8' Alien? Me neither, it's a fellow pinsiders, & unreal! Hand crafted from metal motorcycle parts!

030001da.jpg 030001e3.jpg

Man...awesome ( mine on steroids)....afraid I couldn't own that one...( really afraid)....

#1913 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Man...awesome ( mine on steroids)....afraid I couldn't own that one...( really afraid)....

I know... right? It's perfect, when you walk into his game room... it's standing on your left surprising/greeting you!

#1914 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I know... right? It's perfect, when you walk into his game room... it's standing on your left surprising/greeting you!

Shit...I don't think so....I'll make sure I'm not carrying if I every go to his game room.....end up writing a big check to him, as there would be an incident....whew.....crazy cool!!!

#1915 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Zax Amusements, Melbourne, they have one on the showroom floor.

Zak has one>? nice... ill head down there when i get a chance.

thanks

#1916 3 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I'm anxious for the Alien reveal. Great theme, solid art, Nordman layout...

I'd be interested to know how much of that layout was actually Nordman's... But I guess we'll never really know.

#1917 3 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I'd be interested to know how much of that layout was actually Nordman's... But I guess we'll never really know.

I think it's fair to call it a split between Dennis and Dave. And I think that's a good thing. I'm a big fan of Dennis too, I've owned several of his pins, and played a ton more. One of the most creative designers out there, truly one of the greats. How many people could have designed White Water? In the early 90s too, without modern 3D tech. Amazing.

I'm really looking forward to flipping it now with the changes Dave made though. Ask anyone how Full Throttle flows, and know that he can do shot geometry. I think Dennis had a great concept, I liked it. It's really a different layout, not just another fan. And Dave took some of the stop and go out, and streamlined the flow, and added more shots. It sort of feels like a combination of their styles, and I love that. And I really prefer the position of the upper right flipper now.

Someone did a great side by side comparison back in this thread somewhere I thought, but look at the shot layout.

Alien shots

Two different magnets. A shot with a controlled drop target. Spinner, drop target bank (old school Bally players will appreciate how this drop target bank works ), spinner, Xenomorph ball lock toy, dual story branches with their own wizard modes, did I mention multiballs? There's a combo shot off the under the flipper shot to the shooter lane!

There's more that this shot map doesn't show. Wait until you see the pop bumpers ... This game is going to be packed with original toys and ideas. Read the KEY on that shot map, there are some good clues into gameplay in the descriptions if you study it and think about what each description means.

#1918 3 years ago

The more I look at the playfield, the more I like it. Aurich, is the right shot below the upper flipper labeled "N" an orbit that goes all the way around to the left orbit labeled "C"?

#1919 3 years ago

F ramp only possible from the top flipper yeah?

looks a great layout, and lots to do...

#1920 3 years ago

The overall layout is 'standard' Nordman mixing it up in a way that's very different but makes perfect sense. Not a Lawlor or in cases even Ritchie rehash/rearrange, or some other less thought out/played out like TH (I guess the idea to detect if you used upper flippers didn't work out) Nordman came up with the flipper placement that has what looks like a couple shots for each upper flipper.. It stinks but doesn't matter that someone else took the controls and handled the adjustments in the play test phase since his core design looks intact.
I don't know how much was changed, but the same or similar thing happened with Elvira 1 and that game kicks ass

#1921 3 years ago

I can get down with how heighway is shaping up. Real time updates from a solid pinsider and a company that has already delivered to boot. The future of pinball is upon us all. Embrace and rejoice! This to me is what Riot was trying to bring to the table and hopefully still will. I dont see the same old same old "take my money" I see "I will gladly give you my money" and you will do so when this marvel is produced. Big difference! Keep on pintruckin'

#1922 3 years ago

Maybe they should make the "c" ramp an up-and-down ramp like in Whirlwind or Pinbot, plenty of space behind there for a lane to a saucer or target.

#1923 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Maybe they should make the "c" ramp an up-and-down ramp like in Whirlwind or Pinbot, plenty of space behind there for a lane to a saucer or target.

?
C is not a ramp but an orbit shot. D is the ramp. But you are right, some space is available behind this ramp.

#1924 3 years ago

sorry if ive missed it sumwhere in one of heighway pinballs topics but just wandering what ever happened to the lcd playfield glass,saw video of it ages and it looked unreal,imagine it with aliens in the glass

#1925 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think it's fair to call it a split between Dennis and Dave. And I think that's a good thing. I'm a big fan of Dennis too, I've owned several of his pins, and played a ton more. One of the most creative designers out there, truly one of the greats. How many people could have designed White Water? In the early 90s too, without modern 3D tech. Amazing.
I'm really looking forward to flipping it now with the changes Dave made though. Ask anyone how Full Throttle flows, and know that he can do shot geometry. I think Dennis had a great concept, I liked it. It's really a different layout, not just another fan. And Dave took some of the stop and go out, and streamlined the flow, and added more shots. It sort of feels like a combination of their styles, and I love that. And I really prefer the position of the upper right flipper now.
Someone did a great side by side comparison back in this thread somewhere I thought, but look at the shot layout.
Alien shots
Two different magnets. A shot with a controlled drop target. Spinner, drop target bank (old school Bally players will appreciate how this drop target bank works ), spinner, Xenomorph ball lock toy, dual story branches with their own wizard modes, did I mention multiballs? There's a combo shot off the under the flipper shot to the shooter lane!
There's more that this shot map doesn't show. Wait until you see the pop bumpers ... This game is going to be packed with original toys and ideas. Read the KEY on that shot map, there are some good clues into gameplay in the descriptions if you study it and think about what each description means.

If it had two popup alien bash targets (like MM trolls), I would be in right now! I can just hear the auto-turrets going off as I'm frantically running out of ammo trying to take them out!

#1926 3 years ago
Quoted from peaceboy666:

sorry if ive missed it sumwhere in one of heighway pinballs topics but just wandering what ever happened to the lcd playfield glass,saw video of it ages and it looked unreal,imagine it with aliens in the glass

I asked the same thing when I was at the factory for the HP pinball party. The screen was a concept for their very first machine (Circe's Animal House which was later shelved) but Andrew said the technology was not quite there at the time. However he did say the technoclogy is better now...

#1927 3 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I asked the same thing when I was at the factory for the HP pinball party. The screen was a concept for their very first machine (Circe's Animal House which was later shelved) but Andrew said the technology was not quite there at the time. However he did say the technoclogy is better now...

That's absolutely right.

For pinball to remain "current" - it has to embrace the latest technologies available, to keep giving the "wow" factor.

When this technology is available, and at the right price, then we will start adding it to our games

#1928 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

yeah there is a bit of space at the back there...

#1929 3 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

yeah there is a bit of space at the back there...

The Facehugger toy is due to be located in that general area..

#1930 3 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Love it!

#1931 3 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

That has to be one of the greatest answers to a pinball question ever!

#1932 3 years ago

I'm curious if there is anything the left upper flipper can hit that can not easily be hit but the left lower flipper?

#1933 3 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

If it had two popup alien bash targets (like MM trolls), I would be in right now! I can just hear the auto-turrets going off as I'm frantically running out of ammo trying to take them out!

Or a Mick (I mean Alien on a stick). But I like the pop up aliens idea better.

#1934 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm curious if there is anything the left upper flipper can hit that can not easily be hit but the left lower flipper?

Looks to me like M and O are the upper left flipper shots

#1935 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

C is not a ramp but an orbit shot. D is the ramp.

Oh, yeah, sorry, I meant "d".

#1936 3 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Looks to me like M and O are the upper left flipper shots

I thought M could be hit by the lower flipper.

But I see O is recessed protecting it from the lower flipper shot.

I just love upper flippers, how they multiply the shot possibilities, but they should have something specific to shoot at, this is what I'm not sure about in The Hobbit as the upper flipper does not seem necessary to me.

#1937 3 years ago

What's L is that a tight ramp like Potc 'Jack the Monkey'?

#1938 3 years ago

A ramp that comes straight back @ you, like WPT left ramp, Sopranos right ramp, LOTR left ramp.

#1939 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm really looking forward to flipping it now with the changes Dave made though.

Yes. I'm excited to see what Dave designs in the future. It seems Heighway has a true asset in Dave. It's very possible that we look back in 5-10 years, & he & Heighway has designed some top rated pins. The future looks bright for pin heads & Heighway pinball!

#1940 3 years ago

Talking about the movies, I saw the first one as a little boy of about 9 or 10. I checked it out of the library (remember doing that?) and really enjoyed the thrill ride. I didn't watch the second till many years later when I bought the Alien Anthology on DVD.

It would be a great surprise if they the game at expo. I'm really getting pumped up.

#1941 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I thought M could be hit by the lower flipper.

Maybe possible but looks very tight from lower flipper

#1942 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I'm excited to see what Dave designs in the future. It seems Heighway has a true asset in Dave.

I agree. As a Full Throttle owner, the game shoots awesome. Only onwards and upwards from here.

#1943 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is my understanding, subject to change if I get it wrong:
The LE will come with the LE artwork set, and also the Standard art too. So if you happen to like one more than the other you can swap them. That's backglass and sideart. Both easy to change. The side art is on the same material as the backglass since they both light up.

Wait. You get both sets of artwork with the LE?? That's freaking awesome!

Owning a pin (for me at least) is more than just how it plays. Appreciating the art package is a big part of the overall experience for me. Part of my enjoyment is how it shows when not being played. (This is why I had to call the ball on GoT.) The thought of being able to mix and match the artwork, and swap out the inserts/backglass to change up the look for awhile is freaking cool as hell. That's a killer idea.

#1944 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

The more I look at the playfield, the more I like it. Aurich, is the right shot below the upper flipper labeled "N" an orbit that goes all the way around to the left orbit labeled "C"?

Yes, but if you look there are two popup posts in that orbit, so the ball can be diverted from either direction into the top lanes and the pops as the code calls for it. Also another plan for those posts, but I won't reveal it yet, see how it shoots first.

I'm as excited as anyone to flip this myself. Dave has talked me through the shots and ideas, and there's just a lot of things going on. Just a ton of possibilities for combos and the ball taking different interesting paths through the playfield, using all the flippers.

Sadly I'm on the other side of a rather large body of water from where the physical game work is going on ...

#1945 3 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

Wait. You get both sets of artwork with the LE?? That's freaking awesome!
Owning a pin (for me at least) is more than just how it plays. Appreciating the art package is a big part of the overall experience for me. Part of my enjoyment is how it shows when not being played. (This is why I had to call the ball on GoT.) The thought of being able to mix and match the artwork, and swap out the inserts/backglass to change up the look for awhile is freaking cool as hell. That's a killer idea.

I agree, I own Tron and have all three sets of translights 3D, Clue and 2 Chick and I change them out from time to time.

#1946 3 years ago

Is the LCD screens going to have movie clips or comic art or a combination of both? I fear that if there are movie clips like TH you see the same clip over and over its not good after he hundredth time, unless there is a large selection of movie clips.

#1947 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Is the LCD screens going to have movie clips or comic art or a combination of both? I fear that if there are movie clips like TH you see the same clip over and over its not good after he hundredth time, unless there is a large selection of movie clips.

Our approach to the LCD is different than JJP's. Because ours is embedded in the playfield it's more important to be careful about how you're using it, because the player is tracking the ball over the same surface. I like to think of it more like a high rez DMD than something that's supposed to be a constantly animating backglass.

#1948 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Our approach to the LCD is different than JJP's. Because ours is embedded in the playfield it's more important to be careful about how you're using it, because the player is tracking the ball over the same surface. I like to think of it more like a high rez DMD than something that's supposed to be a constantly animating backglass.

So are you saying there won't be any movie clips or just not looping all the time?

#1949 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Don't you have two displays? Where do the instructions and scores go?

Would be nice for some modes to have a clock like Tspp color changing as the time gets low!

#1950 3 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

So are you saying there won't be any movie clips or just not looping all the time?

Here you go
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-ships-games/page/8#post-2620372

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
15,050 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nidderau, HE
There are 24458 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 490.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside