• 24,632 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,838 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 384 of 493.
#19151 1 year ago
Quoted from spfxted:

So that crazy guy was RIGHT??

Make a few negative observations about a game after playing it and you're labeled crazy. But I'm certainly 100% correct about the ramps being total ass. If they were shipped like that from Stern then Pinside would have the pitchforks out and threads would be on fire bashing Stern.

#19152 1 year ago

Here is that Unix screen I mentioned earlier that randomly happens when I first boot sometimes cold. I then reset and the game works fine but this does happen here and there.

Again not sure if it's code or hardware related and it's not restricting me from doing anything but curious if others have seen this.

20171217_104804 (resized).jpg

#19153 1 year ago

I've seen it. Comes up every so often, reboot.

#19154 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Make a few negative observations about a game after playing it and you're labeled crazy.

Oh, come on...I was just joshin' ya...

#19155 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Here is that Unix screen I mentioned earlier that randomly happens when I first boot sometimes cold. I then reset and the game works fine but this does happen here and there.
Again not sure if it's code or hardware related and it's not restricting me from doing anything but curious if others have seen this.

Never seen that before. Sorry

#19156 1 year ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Oh, come on...I was just joshin' ya...

Heh, didn't mean by you. Couple of fellas on here, forget who, like to say the ramps are perfectly fine and *I'M* the one seeing things.

#19157 1 year ago

I’ve heard about that boot hang on occasion and even gotten it once on my machine. Very hard to repro (seems like a race condition in the kernel before our code is in control)... I’ve researched some possible solutions and will be trying them... but again, minimal info + hard to repro = low confidence that it’s truly fixed. But I’ll keep at it until it’s resolved. Until then, just power cycle, with my apologies.

#19158 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Make a few negative observations about a game after playing it and you're labeled crazy. But I'm certainly 100% correct about the ramps being total ass. If they were shipped like that from Stern then Pinside would have the pitchforks out and threads would be on fire bashing Stern.

The new ones are a long way from perfect, if the latest owner's experience and photos are generally representative, but at least they look a lot neater than the ones you originally commented on, earlier in the year.

Those looked like they'd been assembled from corroded bits of scrap metal.

#19159 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I’ve heard about that boot hang on occasion and even gotten it once on my machine. Very hard to repro (seems like a race condition in the kernel before our code is in control)... I’ve researched some possible solutions and will be trying them... but again, minimal info + hard to repro = low confidence that it’s truly fixed. But I’ll keep at it until it’s resolved. Until then, just power cycle, with my apologies.

Yeah no worries not a big deal just didn't know if I was the only one. I will say that after I got that screen I ended up have the light problem I'm currently experiencing where a few work but don't follow the color chain of others

#19160 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Very hard to repro (seems like a race condition in the kernel before our code is in control)...

Gotta love bugs that are near impossible to reproduce.

#19161 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Gotta love bugs that are near impossible to reproduce.

Like this one?

aYw9jmV_700b (resized).jpg

#19162 1 year ago

Are the LE’s shipping? They were supposed to be arriving before Christmas, right?

#19163 1 year ago

Before Christmas huh? Funny.

#19164 1 year ago

Hey guys, has anyone figured out a solution for the shooterlane ball wireform scraping against the Pinball glass? It is currently making a pretty intense mark on the underside of my glass, to the point where it’s scraping away the chrome completely. Will this eventually cause my glass to shatter?

#19165 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yeah, If I were you, I would first document which bulbs are flickering rapidly, then turn off the game and pull down the light/switch board (I think for this you could likely just drop the board slightly instead of full removal?), then check each bulb and make sure they are seated well.
Keep us posted if the symptoms change after that.

So the issue with this theory is there aren’t any actual bulbs.... the little leds in the boards are a secured just fine. Going back to hardware interference. It appears that cutting the i/o board usbs away from the zip locked bundle of wires also doesn’t help it reduce interference. I also have new usb cords to try but I haven’t gotten that far yet. I have only replaced the one from the bottom I/O board to the pc and that didn’t change anything.

#19166 1 year ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Hey guys, has anyone figured out a solution for the shooterlane ball wireform scraping against the Pinball glass? It is currently making a pretty intense mark on the underside of my glass, to the point where it’s scraping away the chrome completely. Will this eventually cause my glass to shatter?

Check the platform plastic which your launch ramp goes over. If there is a 'bar' on the top level that the rail is sitting on and possibly being pushed up by, crop it. If this in itself doesn't solve it, you have a few millimetres flexibility to lower the rail without affecting play. All games going out by now should have the plastic 'bar' cropped.

#19167 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

I wonder if they need to be replaced with a hard plastic version instead of soft bendy. Like a plastic spider.

If they don't wiggle in play at all, that seems like a smart route. The softer wiggling aliens from Attack/Revenge from Mars often break and I'm assuming it's because the rubber is too soft, but that's essential for the purpose they serve.

#19168 1 year ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Check the platform plastic which your launch ramp goes over. If there is a 'bar' on the top level that the rail is sitting on and possibly being pushed up by, crop it. If this in itself doesn't solve it, you have a few millimetres flexibility to lower the rail without affecting play. All games going out by now should have the plastic 'bar' cropped.

I don’t see any bar. I am not sure what you mean by there is a way to lower the bar...the way it is attached has no adjustment and it’s screwed down tight.

#19169 1 year ago

The 'bar' in question would be a part of the plastic, the bottom edge of the hole the launch ramp drops the ball into - a strut going across. It doesn't need to be there, so if it is you can safely cut this bit out if it pushes up your launch ramp.

#19170 1 year ago

So the issue with this theory is there aren’t any actual bulbs.... the little leds in the boards are a secured just fine.

OK, they're arguably not "bulbs", and I'm not sure about the inserts, but at least all of the through-the-playfield lights (i.e. GI) are socketed devices... if even one of them is loose in its socket, it can interfere with the rest of its chain "downstream". It's definitely worth examining if you have some lights that are flickering or otherwise not working as expected.

#19171 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

OK, they're arguably not "bulbs", and I'm not sure about the inserts, but at least all of the through-the-playfield lights (i.e. GI) are socketed devices... if even one of them is loose in its socket, it can interfere with the rest of its chain "downstream". It's definitely worth examining if you have some lights that are flickering or otherwise not working as expected.

Is downstream start at the bottom of the playfield or the top left or top right?

#19172 1 year ago

Ambiguous. It's more about how the lamps are addressed electrically. Look back a day or two in this thread for a message I wrote about how to identify the lamp chains using Single Lamp Test.

#19173 1 year ago

ferret I am having a random issue where when I start a game, it randomly gives me 4 balls....it doesn’t go into any multiball on the screens or in a mode. But literally after I plunge, instead of just calling it a day, it will continuously shoot out balls. I have check the active switches and gaps in the alien targets and they are not active or touching so I am at a loss of why this is randomly happening after game start up. I will note that it doesn’t happen every game, just randomly, once again it doesn’t start a multiball just give me multiball balls. Any ideas? Has this happens to others with the game? Solutions? Is that a known issue? Possibly addressed in code update.

#19174 1 year ago

Ummmm... don't think I've heard that one before. My gut reaction would be flaky trough switch, but that's just a guess. Is it always exactly 4 balls that are served?

If it happens again, go into the operator menu (right then, immediately after it decides to screw up), find a spare USB thumb drive, put it into the computer (this might be annoying since the computer is in the rear of the cabinet, and I don't think the factory provides a USB extension cable), then navigate to Reports > Debug Report, and hit Enter. Let it do its thing (should just take a few seconds, then exit back to the menu). Remove the USB drive, put it into your computer ... it should contain a file called pinprog.log. Send this file to me at alien <at> joe.tater.org and we'll take a look.

#19175 1 year ago

Also an update in regards to my xeno mech ferret bcd daudioguy, I noticed that when the mech mouth is not at home and I go into calibration or the testing area, it still suggests the position is 0 even when it’s pressing up against the inside of it’s mouth. So not only is it not staying put, but it’s like it isn’t even registering that it has been continually sliding forward. Do you think it’s a gear slippage/motor issue or something. Obviously it isn’t the switch or code like you all have suggested. I am just trying to get helmut the best info possible and for him to contact me about it to possibly replace the thing and I can send it out to you it’s or back to them or w.e

#19176 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Ummmm... don't think I've heard that one before. My gut reaction would be flaky trough switch, but that's just a guess. Is it always exactly 4 balls that are served?
If it happens again, go into the operator menu (right then, immediately after it decides to screw up), find a spare USB thumb drive, put it into the computer (this might be annoying since the computer is in the rear of the cabinet, and I don't think the factory provides a USB extension cable), then navigate to Reports > Debug Report, and hit Enter. Let it do its thing (should just take a few seconds, then exit back to the menu). Remove the USB drive, put it into your computer ... it should contain a file called pinprog.log. Send this file to me at alien <at> joe.tater.org and we'll take a look.

Sure, I can do that. Does it matter which USB port I use? I noticed there isn’t a spare port so one of the cables needs to be removed.

#19177 1 year ago

No spare ports? Can you post a pic of your mobo?

#19178 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Got 4 slots with 4 usb cables

7B2317F8-9673-4414-8369-73AF69B1F0C2 (resized).jpeg

#19179 1 year ago

Got 4 slots with 4 usb cables

Aren't there any more to the left ? I do not own an Alien, but most motherboards I know do have more of them, normally at the leftmost of the motherboard.

#19180 1 year ago

try the side

#19181 1 year ago

ferret I am having a random issue where when I start a game, it randomly gives me 4 balls....it doesn’t go into any multiball on the screens or in a mode. But literally after I plunge, instead of just calling it a day, it will continuously shoot out balls. I have check the active switches and gaps in the alien targets and they are not active or touching so I am at a loss of why this is randomly happening after game start up. I will note that it doesn’t happen every game, just randomly, once again it doesn’t start a multiball just give me multiball balls. Any ideas? Has this happens to others with the game? Solutions? Is that a known issue? Possibly addressed in code update.

Turn ball saver to off, zero, and report back what happens. That may help diagnose.

#19182 1 year ago

Mine has ports facing the front of the cabinet

#19183 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Found em, thanks!

Quoted from Ferret:

Just happened again, email sent. It is NOT 4 balls specifically, this time was 6. ill keep a better count on it if it happens again. Thats the third time today in about 20 or so games.

#19184 1 year ago

Woohoo!! Best game yet! 6 modes, 3 multiballs, 1 extra ball and completed the mini wizard mode!
ferret any chance of adding the option for there to be an initial ball save when you complete the mini wizard mode when the shots all light up for victory rounds (collecting each members full share?) just a few seconds would be amazing, atleast the option for it.

6EFB0144-DBBA-42F7-A7D4-4A31233216FB.jpeg
6537CDCB-BB75-45D8-9E70-81D50E584AD8.jpeg
4A9DA1D7-D472-459A-B8A5-CD731BC5C7D6.jpeg
31AFA7A1-9D7B-4AAC-80FE-70EA7DF08453.jpeg

#19185 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Even though he doesn’t post here as often, Brian (bcd) has been working hard on this, so send love his way also.

Ferret , I am in Monrovia Md . about 25 mins maybe, As I hoping that you will certainly have a machine by then , if not I will personally loan you my game
when it arrives as long as you need it .God knows you guys deserve one
Jim

#19186 1 year ago

Just happened again, email sent.

Got it, thank you very much. I'll study soon (and share with the rest of the dev team) and hopefully we'll figure out what's up.

Woohoo!! Best game yet! 6 modes, 3 multiballs, 1 extra ball and completed the mini wizard mode!

Very nice, congrats!

any chance of adding the option for there to be an initial ball save when you complete the mini wizard mode when the shots all light up for victory rounds (collecting each members full share?) just a few seconds would be amazing, atleast the option for it.

There is indeed a ball save. The player controls how long it is.

Here's the scoop: when you start the mini-wizard modes, your timer + ball saver are based on how well you did on that movie's modes. You also get a timer boost when you complete the first phase of the mini-wiz. The ball save timer keeps running when you get into Victory Laps, with however much time remains. So in other words: win more modes ==> longer ball save. Complete the mini-wiz faster ==> longer ball save during Victory Laps.

Quoted from jq-pinner77:

I am in Monrovia Md . about 25 mins maybe, As I hoping that you will certainly have a machine by then , if not I will personally loan you my game
when it arrives as long as you need it .God knows you guys deserve one

Thank you, Jim, that's very kind of you... but please, just play the heck out of your game and enjoy it. I'm still expecting to get mine before too much longer.

#19187 1 year ago

Alien green images have just been posted to Facebook.

#19188 1 year ago

like it better than blue, but eager to see the black.

25488378_627573600699921_1980827844118197954_o (resized).jpg

25626793_627573637366584_5740632480923325583_o (resized).jpg

25488135_627573624033252_8300791148487703008_o (resized).jpg

25587019_627573620699919_835991258910783885_o (resized).jpg

#19189 1 year ago

I just noticed that my SE doesn’t have the Alien sticker on the coin door. That makes me sad...

#19190 1 year ago

I'll likely be going with black, I think it will be more versatile if I ever decide to rotated it out for an other Heighway title.

#19191 1 year ago

I just noticed that my SE doesn’t have the Alien sticker on the coin door.

If Heighway sticks with their plan, there should not be a sticker on the coindoor. The cabinets are supposed to be a platform for any game, remember? ...just swap out playtfield, backglass and side graphics.

#19192 1 year ago
Quoted from SunKing:

If Heighway sticks with their plan, there should not be a sticker on the coindoor. The cabinets are supposed to be a platform for any game, remember? ...just swap out playtfield, backglass and side graphics.

Yeah but for the guys buying the LE its a nice add on and why buy the LE if ur planning on swapping PF's.

#19193 1 year ago

So, it looks to be officially the same cab as the standard, not the gloss cab they originally said? I feel like them dropping this was suggested awhile back, but I don't recall hearing anything definite from them. They completely dodged the question when i asked via email a couple of months ago.

#19194 1 year ago

Well, I like the green much more than the blue, has the potential to grow on me, but anxious to see the black, as well.

Part of me wishes they could send me the hardware unfinished, and would have my local powdercoat guy do it in a color I liked. In truth, though, to keep the LE as much as original as possible (and I'm getting lazier), I'll probably stick with one of the 3 factory colors......

#19195 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Well, I like the green much more than the blue, has the potential to grow on me, but anxious to see the black, as well.
Part of me wishes they could send me the hardware unfinished, and would have my local powdercoat guy do it in a color I liked. In truth, though, to keep the LE as much as original as possible (and I'm getting lazier), I'll probably stick with one of the 3 factory colors......

Just do like me - buy a standard and customize it the way you want. More work - yes, but you get what you want.

#19196 1 year ago
Quoted from joelreeves:

like it better than blue, but eager to see the black.

Wouldn't it be a simple as slapping some black legs on a standard to see it in black?

The green is a bit better than the bright blue. I agree that black is most likely going to be the way to go.

Quoted from WeirPinball:

Just do like me - buy a standard and customize it the way you want. More work - yes, but you get what you want.

He's in very early and it would cost him a lot more to go with a standard now than to stick with the LE.

#19197 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Not sure how far you've gone back in the threads, but I'm a VERY early adopter (1st week of announcement), so not really an option for me. A standard, upfitted with all the extras, would cost substantial more than what I paid for my game, and (in theory) some of the artwork, etc. is unobtanium for a standard.

I had been hoping the blue would have been darker, as that color really goes well w the lit blades, but too bright for me.

I like the differentiation of green from black (guessing they will just put the same black trim that is being used on the standards), but will wait and see (wait, wait, wait being the key word here....)....

#19198 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Thats what I did too, when they announced the LE artwork, it wasnt for me so swapped to a standard.

I think the colours are cool, but prefer the colour I went with.

#19199 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Not sure how far you've gone back in the threads, but I'm a VERY early adopter (1st week of announcement), so not really an option for me. A standard, upfitted with all the extras, would cost substantial more than what I paid for my game, and (in theory) some of the artwork, etc. is unobtanium for a standard.
I had been hoping the blue would have been darker, as that color really goes well w the lit blades, but too bright for me.
I like the differentiation of green from black (guessing they will just put the same black trim that is being used on the standards), but will wait and see (wait, wait, wait being the key word here....)....

Gotcha - I would stick it out as well.

#19200 1 year ago

I like the change to Limited Edition on the side panels. The 35th anniversary has come and gone

25659933_627573990699882_3748142353475010413_n (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 384 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside