DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 372 of 601.
#18551 6 years ago

I have a problem with my Alien that I'm looking for some help with, please see my post in the owners club thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/get-away-from-her-you-bitch-alien-club-all-members-expendable/page/2#post-4077335

#18552 6 years ago

Anyone still think they are getting the runaround feel free to contact UK trading standards for info/help.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/get-more-help/report-to-trading-standards/

#18553 6 years ago

In regards to Andrew's circumstances in leaving Heighway Pinball, new information has come to light, SMALL portions of my stated facts have been corrected and I reverified the BIG balance of my facts about Heighway Pinball. As a result, I NO LONGER BELIEVE Andrew absconded with any money or misled the new buyers of HP's financial situation. Rather, all signals point to expenses growing exponentially fast and outstripping incoming funding.

Some may hold grudges about Andrew's lying, unfilled promises or about his not revealing serious liquidity issues earlier. That is water under the bridge now that we have new Heighway Pinball and there appear to be about 50 games built and released to date. People have reported numerous minor and fatal issues. Heighway Pinball's responses have ranged from success to mixed results to some Owners and issues being ignored to some fixes maybe being designed.

My personal experience is being reported here for the FIRST time, and has never been stated anywhere before. All incidences mentioned have occurred on my machine and continue to occur. Having received an Alien SE from CT's batches of games 1.5 weeks ago, I will summarize my major issues, that are still unresolved. Everything you read next is factual and recreatible. Small concerns have since been adjudicated or omitted for the sake of brevity.

*** HEIGHWAY PINBALL NEEDS TO SUPPORT ALL EXISTING ALIEN AND FULL THROTTLE PINBALL MACHINE OWNERS UNTIL THEIR GAMES ARE WORKING 100%, BEFORE IT TAKES IN ANOTHER DOLLAR PERIOD!!

*** DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine ... if you expect the game to work 100%. Failures on proprietary boards, where it is nearly impossible to get a replacement during the WARRANTY PERIOD, should be considered a real and likely possibility. If parts were consistently being provided to satisfy failures, this wouldn't be as big an issue. Schematics are not available either, meaning a broken game will remain a broken game. Other parts that are likely to fail include: Xeno head, right up post, amplifier, optos and inductive switches. All of these occurred on my machine, including the two board failures.

*** DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine ... if you expect the main toy - Xeno head - to work flawlessly. All of these have occurred on my machine. Current Xeno design allows multiple types of malfunctions. 1) tongue unable to extend past lower jaw and pick up the ball. 2) tongue stuck extended to playfield during multiball 3) ball stuck on tongue and unable to be pulled into mouth, causing motor to run forever and ball to not drop in hole and ball to become lost. 4) ball stuck on tongue inside mouth with jaw half open will result in lost ball. Awaiting a fix to be designed.

*** If you are a NEW MONEY ALIEN PINBALL MACHINE BUYER or one required to outlay additional money .... DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine feeling you are lucky and expecting to run the gauntlet without encountering problems. Why pay $8k to $10k for a toy that - you can't count on it to work 100% and can't get it fixed?

*** DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine ... if you expect to route this game. Top glass needs to be removed and set aside to fix every issue. imo Alien Pinball could be operated on route, only if operator works from same location.

*** DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine ... if you expect to complete the game or to start All OUT WAR (final wizard mode) because there are current issues that can prevent it from ever happening. 1) if any of the APC optos are faulty and won't register you won't be able to lock balls or to start hypersleep multiball. 2) if inductive switch for chestbursters doesn't work, you won't be able to complete life cycle or to start Find Newt multiball. 3) can't start all out war if you encounter issue #1 or #2. This could be overcome with software adjustments, not currently planned.

Only you can decide whether to spend good money to get an Alien machine now, given the documented machine issues and spotty communication from Heighway Pinball. If you have balance of money with CT or Nitro with an option to get it back - you decide whether to request a refund or to let it ride. If you paid Heighway Pinball in full and can't get a refund and are told to pay for additional domestic shipping only, that would be an easy decision to pay the money. Stay tuned. If the situation improves, the follow up story will be forthcoming.

IMG_1845 (resized).JPGIMG_1845 (resized).JPG

#18554 6 years ago

With all the problems now quoted for prosperity, Alien Pinball is still a blast to play. It is fun, unique, well themed, intense, challenging etc, it just feels to be the same 95% complete it was when Andrew left. These problems likely existed then too, maybe unrecognized, but they definitely weren't resolved prior to restarting production. So what if all the features don't work?

If HP is serious about building a rock-solid, coin-operated game that can be routed, they will address these issues head on until they can be chased down and choked out. Owners can help them with fixes by providing debug reports and videos and emails, to assist HP in implementing permanent fixes to all past and present games.

I have been communicating with Ferret on software via email, Melissa at CT as distributor via phone and email and Helmut at HP Customer Service via email to address my issues and fix the game for the better. I had a few skype meetings planned with Helmut this week that fell through. Hoping to connect next week though and to include others from HP during the same demo. I'd like them to watch the game and acknowledge the issues, to fix the ones they can right away and to agree to solve others in a timely fashion.

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

In regards to Andrew's circumstances in leaving Heighway Pinball, new information has come to light, SMALL portions of my stated facts have been corrected and I reverified the BIG balance of my facts about Heighway Pinball. As a result, I NO LONGER BELIEVE Andrew absconded with any money or misled the new buyers of HP's financial situation. Rather, all signals point to expenses growing exponentially fast and outstripping incoming funding. Some may hold grudges about Andrew's lying, unfilled promises or about his not revealing serious liquidity issues earlier. That is water under the bridge now that we have new Heighway Pinball and there appear to be about 50 games built and released to date. People have reported numerous minor and fatal issues. Heighway Pinball's responses have ranged from success to mixed results to some Owners and issues being ignored to some fixes maybe being designed.
Having received an Alien SE from CT's batches of games 1.5 weeks ago, I will summarize my major issues, that are still unresolved. Everything you read next is factual and recreatible. Small concerns have since been adjusted or were omitted for the sake of brevity.
*** HEIGHWAY PINBALL NEEDS TO SUPPORT ALL EXISTING ALIEN AND FULL THROTTLE PINBALL MACHINE OWNERS UNTIL THEIR GAMES ARE WORKING 100%, BEFORE IT TAKES IN ANOTHER DOLLAR PERIOD!!
*** DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine ... if you expect the game to work 100%. Failures on proprietary boards, where it is nearly impossible to get a replacement during the WARRANTY PERIOD, should be considered a real and likely possibility. If parts were consistently being provided to satisfy failures, this wouldn't be as big an issue. Schematics are not available either, meaning a broken game will remain a broken game. Other parts that are likely to fail include: Xeno head, right up post, amplifier and inductive switch. All of these occurred on my machine.*** DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine ... if you expect the main toy - Xeno head - to work flawlessly. Current Xeno design allows multiple types of malfunctions. 1) tongue unable to extend past lower jaw and pick up the ball. 2) tongue stuck extended to playfield during multiball 3) ball stuck on tongue and unable to be pulled into mouth, causing motor to run forever and ball to not drop in hole and ball to become lost. 4) ball stuck on tongue inside mouth with jaw half open will result in lost ball. Awaiting a fix to be designed.
*** If you are a NEW MONEY ALIEN PINBALL MACHINE BUYER or one required to outlay additional money .... DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine feeling you are lucky and expecting to run the gauntlet without encountering problems. Why pay $8k to $10k for a toy that - you can't count on to work and can't get fixed?
*** DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine ... if you expect to route this game. Top glass needs to be removed and set aside to fix every issue. imo Alien Pinball could be operated on route, only if operator works from same location.
*** DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine ... if you expect to complete the game or to start All OUT WAR (final wizard mode) because there are current issues that can prevent it from ever happening. 1) if any of the APC optos are faulty and won't register you won't be able to lock balls or to start hypersleep multiball. 2) if inductive switch for chestbursters doesn't work, you won't be able to complete life cycle or to start Find Newt multiball. 3) can't start all out war if you encounter issue #1 or #2. This could be overcome with software adjustments, not currently planned.
Only you can decide whether to spend good money to get an Alien machine now, given the documented machine issues and spotty communication from Heighway Pinball. If you have balance of money with CT or Nitro with an option to get it back - you decide whether to request a refund or to let it ride. If you paid Heighway Pinball in full and can't get a refund and are told to pay for additional domestic shipping only, that would be an easy decision to pay the money. Stay tuned. If the situation improves, the follow up story will be forthcoming.

#18555 6 years ago

In regards to Andrew's circumstances in leaving Heighway Pinball, new information has come to light, portions of my stated facts have been corrected and I reverified the balance of my facts about Heighway Pinball. As a result, I NO LONGER BELIEVE Andrew absconded with any money or misled the new buyers of HP.

Your stated facts have been corrected... and you've reverified the balance of your facts..
Facts...

butthurt-dweller-all-my-opinions-are-facts (resized).jpgbutthurt-dweller-all-my-opinions-are-facts (resized).jpg

#18556 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Your stated facts have been corrected... and you've reverified the balance of your facts..
Facts...

You don't have a machine do you? A lot the explanation above is hard to follow if you don't have access to a machine to be able to see it close up from the top side and bottom and to understand what you have. If you have a problem with anything I've said just pm me, don't drag it here. thanks

edit Chalkey - I was asked not to repost same old info in this thread - over and over. My two posts are entirely new info and detail about what anybody could expect to see today if they buy an Alien - worst case to date, hopefully.

#18557 6 years ago

Only he is allowed to post "facts". If you have anything to contribute just send it to him and he'll judge whether or not it is worthy to share with his loyal followers who all have anxiously awaited his walls of text.

This is an Internet forum, not a place for constructive dialogue.

#18558 6 years ago

Jeff? You have like 17 posts of train wrecks in this thread. We understand you have issues with the game. Give it a rest.

#18559 6 years ago

You don't have a machine do you?

if you don't know whether Kneissl has a machine or not, youre not following this thread close enough.

#18560 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

if you don't know whether Kneissl has a machine or not, youre not following this thread close enough.

agreed - I was just going to say. Such a loud mouth but Jeff obviously doesn't read well. Winning combination!

#18561 6 years ago

*** DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine ... if you expect the main toy - Xeno head - to work flawlessly.

My Xeno head currently works flawlessly. I've only had to fix it one time when it became stuck in the out position (ONE TIME). Turned game off...shoved it back in and it has worked PERFECTLY since.

My game is currently operating 100%. All switches, coils, optos, lights, screens and sound system are working perfectly.

BTW...to all owners...Cliffy has a protector for the mode start hole, I've got one on the way. I also ordered a carbon graphite magnet protector from him and it fits perfectly on Alien.

#18562 6 years ago

I am sad the Jeff has had problems with his Xeno. Just so the community has more data points:

I had a pre-production machine with a Xeno mech for 12 weeks. The rubber ring around the magnet at the end of the tongue needed to be adjusted 1 mm. After that it always worked.

I now have a production machine. The Xeno worked out of the box and I have had no problems with it.

The production machine was not without some things that needed adjustment. No parts needed, the pop bumpers needed adjustment to be more sensitive. I have reported this to the factory and they are going to check them in the future.

Customers have reported issues with the orbit posts. Neither of the posts worked in this pin. To clarify, they popped up but did not stay up. We explored the issue and found a software fix that will be included in the next update. Now the posts work all the time (and Derelict and Queen's Nest are now possible!).

The launch mechanism is working on the first attempt 95% of the time. Coil strength adjustments have been added to the adjustments and I am experimenting with it to get it 100%.

The key is that a developer (me) has a production game. A byproduct of refining the audio is game testing hardware/software.

It is not a breech of my non-disclosure to state that at times the conditions under which the Alien pinball machine was developed were not ideal. I can state for a fact that it is now better. And will get better still.

Before you ask, I don't know when an update will drop. The devs have to draw a line in the sand and determine when to test and package one up. It will be sooner than later.

thanks for your patience.

ddt

#18563 6 years ago

Jeff, you hurt my soul.

#18564 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Before you ask, I don't know when an update will drop. The devs have to draw a line in the sand and determine when to test and package one up. It will be sooner than later.

Thank YOU for coming here!

#18565 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

My Xeno head currently works flawlessly. I've only had to fix it one time when it became stuck in the out position (ONE TIME). Turned game off...shoved it back in and it has worked PERFECTLY since.
My game is currently operating 100%. All switches, coils, optos, lights, screens and sound system are working perfectly.
BTW...to all owners...Cliffy has a protector for the mode start hole, I've got one on the way. I also ordered a carbon graphite magnet protector from him and it fits perfectly on Alien.

Thanks I'll get both too.

#18566 6 years ago

With all the problems now quoted for prosperity, Alien Pinball is still a blast to play. It is fun, unique, well themed, intense, challenging etc, it just feels to be the same 95% complete it was when Andrew left. These problems likely existed then too, maybe unrecognized, but they definitely weren't resolved prior to restarting production. So what if all the features don't work?
If HP is serious about building a rock-solid, coin-operated game that can be routed, they will address these issues head on until they can be chased down and choked out. Owners can help them with fixes by providing debug reports and videos and emails, to assist HP in implementing permanent fixes to all past and present games.
I have been communicating with Ferret on software via email, Melissa at CT as distributor via phone and email and Helmut at HP Customer Service via email to address my issues and fix the game for the better. I had a few skype meetings planned with Helmut this week that fell through. Hoping to connect next week though and to include others from HP during the same demo. I'd like them to watch the game and acknowledge the issues, to fix the ones they can right away and to agree to solve others in a timely fashion.

My production alien is also 100% works perfectly.

#18567 6 years ago

Everything you read next is factual and recreatible. Small concerns have since been adjudicated or omitted for the sake of brevity

facts.jpgfacts.jpg

A statement that derives from a factual reference does not make itself a fact. Most of your post is about extrapolating and projecting your beliefs as facts again...

#18568 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

The free big backglass screen upgrade for HW direct LE customers is nice, but sadly does nothing for Cointaker LE customers which I'm sure there are still a decent amount. Hopefully they'll include free non reflective glass (still not close to the price of the big screen upgrade but it's still something) and maybe something else? I don't know if it should be on HW or Cointaker?
Excited they seem to keep shipping games, hopefully they are listening to the QC concerns brought up in this thread.

I agree, I am a very early adopter Nov 2016 and already expected the 27" screen in the sale .Hopefully the upgraded glass and maybe balance via credit for CT products would be cool. Either way they need to make good on the full cost of the fiber optic cancellation . I am very glad I will eventually get the game and never thought of bailing ,but no sympathy and want back what I paid

#18569 6 years ago

In regards to Andrew's circumstances in leaving Heighway Pinball, new information has come to light, SMALL portions of my stated facts have been corrected and I reverified the BIG balance of my facts about Heighway Pinball. As a result, I NO LONGER BELIEVE Andrew absconded with any money or misled the new buyers of HP's financial situation. Rather, all signals point to expenses growing exponentially fast and outstripping incoming funding.
Some may hold grudges about Andrew's lying, unfilled promises or about his not revealing serious liquidity issues earlier. That is water under the bridge now that we have new Heighway Pinball and there appear to be about 50 games built and released to date. People have reported numerous minor and fatal issues. Heighway Pinball's responses have ranged from success to mixed results to some Owners and issues being ignored to some fixes maybe being designed.
Having received an Alien SE from CT's batches of games 1.5 weeks ago, I will summarize my major issues, that are still unresolved. Everything you read next is factual and recreatible. Small concerns have since been adjudicated or omitted for the sake of brevity.
*** DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine ... if you expect the game to work 100%. Failures on proprietary boards, where it is nearly impossible to get a replacement during the WARRANTY PERIOD, should be considered a real and likely possibility. If parts were consistently being provided to satisfy failures, this wouldn't be as big an issue. Schematics are not available either, meaning a broken game will remain a broken game. Other parts that are likely to fail include: Xeno head, right up post, amplifier, optos and inductive switches. All of these occurred on my machine.
*** DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine ... if you expect the main toy - Xeno head - to work flawlessly. Current Xeno design allows multiple types of malfunctions. 1) tongue unable to extend past lower jaw and pick up the ball. 2) tongue stuck extended to playfield during multiball 3) ball stuck on tongue and unable to be pulled into mouth, causing motor to run forever and ball to not drop in hole and ball to become lost. 4) ball stuck on tongue inside mouth with jaw half open will result in lost ball. Awaiting a fix to be designed.
*** If you are a NEW MONEY ALIEN PINBALL MACHINE BUYER or one required to outlay additional money .... DO NOT BUY an ALIEN Pinball Machine feeling you are lucky and expecting to run the gauntlet without encountering problems. Why pay $8k to $10k for a toy that - you can't count on to work and can't get fixed?

******DO NOT READ JEFFSPINBALLPALACE COMMENTS******* if you don't feel like it.

******JEFFSPINBALLPALACE COMMENTS ARE COMPLETELY FALSE****** or their possibly true, hard to say.

I like how you use your capital letters and asterisks. Lol.

#18570 6 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I like how you use your capital letters and asterisks. Lol.

Give the guy a break. When you reach manifesto length you have to highlight stuff somehow.

#18571 6 years ago
Quoted from jq-pinner77:

I agree, I am a very early adopter Nov 2016 and already expected the 27" screen in the sale .Hopefully the upgraded glass and maybe balance via credit for CT products would be cool. Either way they need to make good on the full cost of the fiber optic cancellation . I am very glad I will eventually get the game and never thought of bailing ,but no sympathy and want back what I paid

Early adopters knew we would be charged the $550 for the large screen....didnt even exist as an option when I ordered...Ill have to look at the date of my deposit when I get home tonight ...

#18572 6 years ago

Can someone confirm how to get the chest burster shot to register in game? I thought you need to hit egg than face hugger then chest burster shot is lit and then you hit that target and it registers? I ask bc when the chest burster shot is lit and I manually push on the target it registers by increasing the mb ammo amount but DOES NOT award me chest burster award.

Posting here bc I know coders check this thread in the event it's software bc my target does register during test mode. Sometimes that shot is given to me via mother and than I can complete life cycle as alien shot does work in have as expected. Maybe I'm not completing the shots correctly?

#18573 6 years ago

There is an inductive switch in the lane as well. There are two settings easy and hard for the chestburster, easy is just the inductive switch, hard is both that and the standup.

#18574 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Can someone confirm how to get the chest burster shot to register in game? I thought you need to hit egg than face hugger then chest burster shot is lit and then you hit that target and it registers? I ask bc when the chest burster shot is lit and I manually push on the target it registers by increasing the mb ammo amount but DOES NOT award me chest burster award.

Sounds like your inductive switch isn't working. Don't worry about reporting it here because all you'll get is a bunch of bs from the fanbois. To fix, you'll need the middle pcb board sent to swap out as the switch is soldered to this board. The board is about 30 inches by 18 inches and sits on bottom of playfield, right in the center, so it requires taking off connectors to lots of other components to gain access. HP is standing by with replacement boards. Don't worry, the problem doesn't exist, it is a fragment of your imagination and is therefore not a fact.

Good luck getting your board fixed, my friend. Mine is out too. Incidentally- you won't be able to start all out war either, That is until you replace the board and can complete chest buster.

btw - current programming for completing chestburster lane is in adjustment #26, where 1) easy setting is inductive switch only and 2) hard is inductive switch AND standup target. So WHEN YOUR INDUCTIVE SWITCH DOESN'T WORK, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO EARN CHESTBUSTER and to complete life cycle or Find Newt multiball. I have suggested changing software slightly to accommodate for this issue. Besides, nobody here wants to read about it.

#18575 6 years ago

Sounds like your inductive switch isn't working. Don't worry about reporting it here because all you'll get is a bunch of bs from the fanbois. To fix, you'll need the middle pcb board sent to swap out as the switch is soldered to this board. The board is about 30 inches by 18 inches and sits on bottom of playfield, right in the center, so it requires taking off connectors to lots of other components to gain access. HP is standing by with replacement boards. Don't worry, the problem doesn't exist, it is a fragment of your imagination and is therefore not a fact.
Good luck getting your board fixed, my friend. Mine is out too. Incidentally- you won't be able to start all out war either, That is until you replace the board and can complete chest buster.

So wait. Anytime a switch fails, you need to get a board swap from Heighway? And Heighway is being less than responsive. Can anyone please verify this, as it could be a dealbreaker for me?

#18576 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

There is an inductive switch in the lane as well. There are two settings easy and hard for the chestburster, easy is just the inductive switch, hard is both that and the standup.

Interesting. Wonder why they just don't keep it as the target only that's what I would select. Either way how/where do I look for that?

#18577 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Interesting. Wonder why they just don't keep it as the target only that's what I would select. Either way how/where do I look for that?

Go to switch edges in menu. Take ball and roll it in front of standup target. If it registers the ammo count a or b on screen will recognize and increase. If it doesn't, you got a problem. Touch your standup target and watch it work, only the inductive switch is out. Roll ball down each inane and see how an inductive switch should work.

At least your apc targets work consistently during gameplay, right? Any drop target that is up should have a blinking insert. Likewise, any drop target that is down should be solid lit. No exceptions. Light apc and that lights lock insert under middle ramp and resets target bank. If one target is blinking while down, bank won't reset, nor will it light lock nor will it raise the up posts above top rollovers.

Ps - Somebody tell delt31 to take me off ignore and read my answers above. We pm'd each other earlier today and it didn't end well.

#18578 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Is hard really "both" I mean if you hit the stand-up you obviously rolled over the inductive and it should reward both (if needed).

#18579 6 years ago

Thanks, libtech ... that answer is exactly correct. I am studying to see if there's any reason that the standup can't also award the shot, even with Chestburster Lane Diff set to Easy, for anyone whose lane switch is having problems.

Quoted from jonesjb:

Anytime a switch fails, you need to get a board swap from Heighway?

Of course not. The inductive switches are socketed devices. If a switch is defective, you remove the switch and insert a new one.

#18580 6 years ago

Don't worry, the problem doesn't exist, it is a fragment of your imagination and is therefore not a fact.

I think you meant figment.

#18581 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

The inductive switches are socketed devices.

Also, if the switch does not work, try pressing it in a little. There are lights on the inductive switch that indicate if they work. They can get dislodged in transport.

#18582 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I actually prefer just the inductive switch, as that shot is hard, then you can also hit that shot by hitting the orbit to the pops, the out the chestburster shot

#18583 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Also, if the switch does not work, try pressing it in a little. There are lights on the inductive switch that indicate if they work. They can get dislodged in transport.

You can't easily reach the switch because it is on the board facing and attached to the playfield. You can reach through top of board and try to push them down without having to disassemble anything (I think there are two). Mine felt snugly in place. And yes can try blowing air on them too. Would be great if that works.

#18584 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Thanks, libtech ... that answer is exactly correct. I am studying to see if there's any reason that the standup can't also award the shot, even with Chestburster Lane Diff set to Easy, for anyone whose lane switch is having problems.

Of course not. The inductive switches are socketed devices. If a switch is defective, you remove the switch and insert a new one.

That solution would be best b/c I always though target was the trigger anyway. If not what's the true purpose of it besides minimum ammo? Seems like that target would be the prize for the CB shot.

How do find this socketed switch though? Any suggestions so I can troubleshoot?

jeff - I've unblocked you hoping that you're posts are attempting to be helpful. Please don't PM me crazy things though. Thanks.

#18585 6 years ago

If one target is blinking while down, bank won't reset, nor will it light lock nor will it raise the up posts above top rollovers.

1) I'm sorry you've had issues on your game. The drop targets in Alien work pretty much the same as every drop target I've seen on any pinball machine: if a drop target switch isn't working, the game software doesn't know that the associated drop has fallen, and it won't award the target or the bank. I suspect most people who have been in pinball for awhile have seen drop target banks on whatever machine where all the targets are down and the software doesn't know it.

2) Raising up posts is a different matter, has nothing to do with drop targets. It appears, for reasons unknown to me, that different up-post assemblies on different Alien machine behave differently. For an upcoming code release, we are strengthening these coils, to hopefully be more tolerant of whatever the physical variations are. (A big huzzah to daudioguy who has stepped outside his audio domain to thoroughly analyze the effects of different coil strengths here on his production game.)

#18586 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

How do find this socketed switch though? Any suggestions so I can troubleshoot?

If you look under the playfield and identify the standup target in the Chestburster lane, then look about 1" away from that standup (if the playfield is raised, that will be 1" *up* from the standup, since you're looking at it backwards when the playfield is raised), and you'll see a socketed device terminating in a flat disc that's sitting in a recess in the playfield. That's the inductive switch. There are lots of these scattered around the playfield.

** here's the point where I remind everyone, again, that I am not employed by Heighway nor am I official Heighway Customer Support, so anything I say is just some random yahoo talking on the Internet **

The inductive switch has a little LED on it (that you might or might not be able to see even if it's working, depending on angles and such) that should light up when it detects a ball over it. (You have to use a ball, since these are metal-sensing switches.) If you hold a ball over the switch, and it doesn't register in the Switch Edges test and the switch's little LED doesn't light, you can try pressing **gently** on the PCB to attempt to seat it more firmly in its socket... or you can take a few screws off the PCB (probably don't need to pull the whole PCB) so you can try pressing **gently** down on the switch sensor disk from the top. Don't do anything that doesn't feel right or that you're uncomfortable with, don't want to damage anything.

#18587 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Good to know. I must have misinterpreted what jeffspinballpalace was suggesting. It seemed a bit odd.

#18588 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I actually prefer just the inductive switch, as that shot is hard, then you can also hit that shot by hitting the orbit to the pops, the out the chestburster shot

FWIW, given where the inductive switch is in that lane, having the ball come out the pops on the Chestburster side won't necessarily award the shot; the lower pop bumper would have to give the ball a "northeast" bounce into the lane to trigger the switch. But yes, certainly more likely for this to happen when Chestburster Lane Diff is set to Easy.

#18589 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

If you look under the playfield and identify the standup target in the Chestburster lane, then look about 1" away from that standup (if the playfield is raised, that will be 1" *up* from the standup, since you're looking at it backwards when the playfield is raised), and you'll see a socketed device terminating in a flat disc that's sitting in a recess in the playfield. That's the inductive switch. There are lots of these scattered around the playfield.
** here's the point where I remind everyone, again, that I am not employed by Heighway nor am I official Heighway Customer Support, so anything I say is just some random yahoo talking on the Internet **
The inductive switch has a little LED on it (that you might or might not be able to see even if it's working, depending on angles and such) that should light up when it detects a ball over it. (You have to use a ball, since these are metal-sensing switches.) If you hold a ball over the switch, and it doesn't register in the Switch Edges test and the switch's little LED doesn't light, you can try pressing **gently** on the PCB to attempt to seat it more firmly in its socket... or you can take a few screws off the PCB (probably don't need to pull the whole PCB) so you can try pressing **gently** down on the switch sensor disk from the top. Don't do anything that doesn't feel right or that you're uncomfortable with, don't want to damage anything.

This is helpful. I found it too (it sits on top of what looks like a light base but it's very high off the individual prongs and it has a little black dot on top (must be the switch head).

#18590 6 years ago

FIXED it! Great job guys giving me instructions on where this thing is.

Basically its a socket on the board that once you pull the board back a bit after removing a few screws you can expose the switch that sits on top of the base socket. If that switch was defective you would just remove and replace with new one. No need to return the board. Crazy talk.

I ended up reseating the switch on the socket and then made sure it was going through the hole in the pf bc I think it wasn't getting close enough to "see" the metal ball. Screws back in and now it works.

I might keep it hard. Like that it makes you hit that standup target. Makes it feel like a more satisfying shot. Thanks guys

#18591 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

FIXED it! Great job guys giving me instructions on where this thing is.
Basically its a socket on the board that once you pull the board back a bit after removing a few screws you can expose the switch that sits on top of the base socket. If that switch was defective you would just remove and replace with new one. No need to return the board. Crazy talk.
I ended up reseating the switch on the socket and then made sure it was going through the hole in the pf bc I think it wasn't getting close enough to "see" the metal ball. Screws back in and now it works.
I might keep it hard. Like that it makes you hit that standup target. Makes it feel like a more satisfying shot. Thanks guys

Hey Delt,
Nice fix! You got a photo of where this switch is?

#18592 6 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Hey Delt,
Nice fix! You got a photo of where this switch is?

Sure - see the yellow circle on the pic below (red arrow pointing to it too - bottom right corner of pic). Those are the socket legs. If you remove the pf screws around that spot you can pull it back a little and reach the switch itself which rests on those socket legs.

2067b5a556300b37d74892db98bee6c67b00d905 (resized).jpg2067b5a556300b37d74892db98bee6c67b00d905 (resized).jpg

#18593 6 years ago

Is the company out of business? Tried to contact them four times with no response in the past month. I am requesting a refund at this point. Thankfully I am only in for $1500. When all the crap went down i got my credit card return for over 7k. Got lucky. Any others not getting any response from heighway?

#18594 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sure - see the yellow circle on the pic below (red arrow pointing to it too - bottom right corner of pic). Those are the socket legs. If you remove the pf screws around that spot you can pull it back a little and reach the switch itself which rests on those socket legs.

Cool thanks. Mine is working good now too. Thanks!

#18595 6 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Is the company out of business? Tried to contact them four times with no response in the past month. I am requesting a refund at this point. Thankfully I am only in for $1500. When all the crap went down i got my credit card return for over 7k. Got lucky. Any others not getting any response from heighway?

See past 1,000 pages of posts for answer lol

#18596 6 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

You already posted in the refund $ thread, and your amount is included in that total.

This what I'm trying to avoid....multiple requests from the same person across multiple threads....hopefully the end is near...

#18597 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

... anything I say is just some random yahoo talking on the Internet

Perhaps, but one with some knowledge.

Thanks for your input!

#18598 6 years ago

For anyone who thinks there is a risk of them losing their money and/or this game not going to get made en masse, please let me fix your logic for you. Here's why this thing is 100% going to get into the hands of those who want it.. The product is good, and if anyone has to bail out the manufacturing they will get it for a song and make a boatload of cash out of it. When these things fail, the guy who always ends up making the money is the last guy who comes along with enough cash to bail out the last guys who tried, and he gets it for next to nothing.

So Andrew failed, and now the investors are running it. If THEY run out of cash, the next in line will bail them out, and be one step closer to final production, and if they fail, it will be even closer, etc. Hell, I will be in that line if the project gets recycled enough times. Who wouldn't take on a fully licenced, coded, shipping machine that looks this good??

Everyone will get their machine and/or their money. The only variable is time.

#18599 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

For anyone who thinks there is a risk of them losing their money and/or this game not going to get made en masse, please let me fix your logic for you. Here's why this thing is 100% going to get into the hands of those who want it.. The product is good, and if anyone has to bail out the manufacturing they will get it for a song and make a boatload of cash out of it. When these things fail, the guy who always ends up making the money is the last guy who comes along with enough cash to bail out the last guys who tried, and he gets it for next to nothing.
So Andrew failed, and now the investors are running it. If THEY run out of cash, the next in line will bail them out, and be one step closer to final production, and if they fail, it will be even closer, etc. Hell, I will be in that line if the project gets recycled enough times. Who wouldn't take on a fully licenced, coded, shipping machine that looks this good??

Way over simplistic overview. Agree if they go bust someone can pick up the assets for a song. But if they don’t honour the liabilities ie suppliers / employees / original buyers good luck salvaging anything. Would you be happy buying in knowing fellow pinheads got raped?

#18600 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Way too much logic in this post!!! Spot on, and 100% agree. Timeline wise, we must remember 90% of it was Andrews efforts to get it through to the finish line. He got it there, just ran out of money before crossing.

This game is deadly, and in the end, a good product wins, period. Ive played one of the new standards ( posted earlier) ...a beautiful, great machine. These are happening......I dont care if if the LE only has minor adds....it will be 1 of only 500 of a truly landmark pin... (and grail for me). There is no theme I want more....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,799 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 372 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/372?hl=wizwiggy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.