• 27,005 posts
  • 1,038 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by delt31
  • Topic is favorited by 274 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,416 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F1956BB2-B309-41B9-88AD-8D69A7FC709E (resized).jpeg
D1810112-9E6D-4EB2-BE51-E9771C4D85F3 (resized).jpeg
20200713_221348 (resized).jpg
3168EA4C-64EE-4FD5-92B8-6160631E481D (resized).jpeg
824D32A3-94C7-4F55-9973-37F66A3C4653 (resized).jpeg
BDC77088-A6AD-4912-9F57-E9E7B04241D5 (resized).jpeg
H57c4622962ed4f129e3a24c77c18c18fN (resized).jpg
IMG_7858 (resized).JPG
IMG_7860 (resized).JPG
IMG_7861 (resized).JPG
IMG_7862 (resized).JPG
EE510003-5EA7-4356-8DD5-FFD71C0D92E5 (resized).jpeg
AF40513A-84B6-4675-8AB6-8400C19A7AC5 (resized).jpeg
7B5C5317-4173-43C1-94F4-53227CB14011 (resized).jpeg
0F45C861-F947-4875-BDEC-3450C1EE5546 (resized).jpeg
A5F8F828-FCD0-488D-9D17-786D96194731 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 27005 posts in this topic. You are on page 354 of 541.
#17651 2 years ago

so a couple of things -

I'm new to HW - never owned their machines before but the quality of the cabinet (especially exterior) is top notch. Very impressed. What I don't like however is how the glass is embedded into the metal frame b/c taking off this glass is a PIA. The side art flexs allowing you to replace with other side art so lining up the glass/frame to get it back on sometimes catches the sides and makes it even harder. Just something I never had to deal with in other machines and I understand why they elected to do this but still....I'm also not sure how I would swap with PDI or something else with how the glass itself is locked/fit into the frame.

The other thing is the right orbit shot. As others have noted, the metal frame that runs along it sticks out a little which I believe catches the ball sometimes. You can try and bend this in but from factory they should really align it smooth so no impact at all. Again - the shot can be made and it's not a big deal but a few times my ball has hit this metal and slowed down, sometimes returning to the right. Speaking of when the ball does go back to the right it does hit the right sling instead of sliding parallel with the right sling and back to flipper. Sometimes it does fall back smoothly but I'm not sure why it doesn't 100% of the time like in other games. Not the same on the left.

Just a few things I've notice.

The overall build quality and how this game feels is very solid. Blows stern out of the water and is comparable to JJP although it has a different feel from theirs. It definitely feels like you're playing a very solid/well made machine. Tank like feel to it.

#17652 2 years ago

Make sure you pass feedback directly to them as well.

#17653 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

MK6PIN appeared to be ready to give us a lesson on questionable behavior

a few days ago, i gave you two large paragraphs detailing my 'agenda'. still, you speculate that it is something other than what i laid out for you. im sure a few people would love to hear it.

Here’s a lesson, greenhornet your agenda to find fault is likely the same as 90% of Pinsiders ripping on a new pin coming out (whether you’re aware or likely to admit it)...

Reducing cognitive dissonance: ‘New pin looks potentially amazing’ BUT ‘I’m not willing/able to spend so much money OR I don’t have space OR the wife won’t let me OR etc’ SO this causes disappointment and feelings of missing out

BUT ‘I’ve realized there are some shots that are a little hard, and the pin isn’t designed as well as it could have, so I wouldn’t buy anyway’. greenhornet it’s natural human behavior, but it’s not all that complex or esoteric. Enjoy successfully reducing your dissonance. I’ll be playing Alien!

#17654 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm new to HW - never owned their machines before but the quality of the cabinet (especially exterior) is top notch. Very impressed. What I don't like however is how the glass is embedded into the metal frame b/c taking off this glass is a PIA. The side art flexs allowing you to replace with other side art so lining up the glass/frame to get it back on sometimes catches the sides and makes it even harder. Just something I never had to deal with in other machines and I understand why they elected to do this but still....I'm also not sure how I would swap with PDI or something else with how the glass itself is locked/fit into the frame.

Tha glass frame is heavy as all get out. I have found when reinstalling it is good to let the top edge of one side rest on cab and then let down the other side with a little pressure to that side. It will pinch in the side panel just enough to allow a smooth fit. then once the top edge is overlapping the side panels it ie easy to slide up and then set down the front edge to lock in place. After I got used to it, I like the frame very much.

I like that I can lift out the glass in a tight space
I like that the glass is always safe (no thermal shock risk from setting on cold concrete)
I like that it really makes the whole cam much more solid as it locks everything in place and frames it out. Nice for nudging feel.

To change in PDI you can flip the frame updise down on a carpet. Then take out the side piece screws holding the glass in with the weather stripping.

#17655 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Tha glass frame is heavy as all get out. I have found when reinstalling it is good to let the top edge of one side rest on cab and then let down the other side with a little pressure to that side. It will pinch in the side panel just enough to allow a smooth fit. then once the top edge is overlapping the side panels it ie easy to slide up and then set down the front edge to lock in place. After I got used to it, I like the frame very much.

This was my experience as well. In time you get used to the technique of placing it back, but in the beginning it is awkward and heavy.

There are positive trade-offs, as noted. The primary one being the ability to lift the glass like a car hood to make a quick adjustment or grab a ball.

#17656 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This was my experience as well. In time you get used to the technique of placing it back, but in the beginning it is awkward and heavy.

Quoted from delt31:

glass is embedded into the metal frame

I set it on the front edge and slide it up/back in to place. Once you are used to it, it's easy. If Heighway survives they might want to think of a lighter weight metal...it does feel like it's made of Iron! Sturdy for sure.

#17657 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I set it on the front edge and slide it up/back in to place. Once you are used to it, it's easy. If Heighway survives they might want to think of a lighter weight metal...it does feel like it's made of Iron! Sturdy for sure.

just a heads up, with Alien, you can't line up the glass before the wireform used for the ball shooter which makes things a little tricky.

#17658 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I've got one...hasn't shipped yet.

Update...shipping today.

#17659 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Update...shipping today.

that's awesome! congrats.

#17660 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

a few days ago, i gave you two large paragraphs detailing my 'agenda'. still, you speculate that it is something other than what i laid out for you. im sure a few people would love to hear it.

THIS IS CRINGY AS FUK! & no, i'm not nominating myself to be your next victim. Im suggesting that you've made your point and starting to exhaust your welcome. Stop beating the horse, its dead! And to everyone else who's read enough..a simple down vote with no response will make it go away. He surely won't continue to argue with himself...

#17661 2 years ago

so update on my lights. I actually swapped a working LED at the end of a string and replaced it with the first non working light and still no luck. That would indicate to me that it's board related. In parallel I have already heard from HW (through CT) so it's moving. Will keep you posted.

#17662 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

MK6PIN appeared to be ready to give us a lesson on questionable behavior but stopped short, settling for the buzz words [agenda driven]. not a single thought of any substance - even though it appears he is quite certain. for those hoping to learn something about questionable behavior, the above is an example of insinuation. and the following, an example of hypocrisy.

Yet

ALL TOO EASY.

Good grief!!! seems people are hitting your "poorly designed" shot.

Your views were not stated as opinion, but FACT (after we sort of figured it out).

The "agenda" I referred to was your intent to undermine this game, for whatever reason. that is my opinion.

Moving forward, your continual posting of my comments out of context is viewed as abrasive, with no purpose except to agitate or be confrontational. I will not engage further. Pathetic....

Really enjoying people receiving their new games, and anxious to eventually receive my LE. Hope you can find something to enjoy in this hobby, as well......

#17663 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Good grief!!! seems people are hitting your "poorly designed" shot.
Your views were not stated as opinion, but FACT (after we sort of figured it out).
The "agenda" I referred to was your intent to undermine this game, for whatever reason. that is my opinion.
Moving forward, your continual posting of my comments out of context is viewed as abrasive, with no purpose except to agitate or be confrontational. I will not engage further. Pathetic....
Really enjoying people receiving their new games, and anxious to eventually receive my LE. Hope you can find something to enjoy in this hobby, as well......

How does greenhornet decide which pins he opines on? Surely he’s not sharing his critique for every new pin that comes out?

#17664 2 years ago

greenhornet and xTheBlackKnightx .. you two guys should prob hangout.. like away from Pinside.

#17665 2 years ago

So, as of now we have to monitor the possible problems right out of the box. (needing to bend metal, light problems, no instructions. etc) And then fix the "Broken Tail Facehugger" situation. With so many modders here, it should be no problem. Glad to see the Xeno Head working good. Can't wait to see more unboxings....

#17666 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I think thats the reality of new games with colour changing LEDs, bitch to troubleshoot too

Not on TNA. As I understand, TNA has individual cheap RGB LEDs which are driven by multiple driver boards. The costs might add up with the cabling etc, but easy to swap if needed, and probably more reliable. This is the way to go, not these huge boards which are hard to diagnose, uninstall & replace. Other companies should take notice.

TNA (resized).jpg

#17667 2 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

But what may concern new owners is that both of my facehuggers lost their tales, and ended up jammed in the ball trough.

That's a huge bummer to see. I thought Matt at Back Alley Creations was producing these though. Alien owners might want to reach out & buy a few replacement huggers from Matt just in case? Not sure if he would sell direct or not. Faster than getting from HP I bet.

Quoted from PunkPin:

Black looks great but really wish they would have went with black legs to match. Something I will have to look into if I end up with one

Black trim & black legs were always an option for LE owners who didn't like the green or blue, but who the hell knows anymore. Standards are stuck with unpainted legs for sure tho.

#17668 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Not on TNA. As I understand, TNA has individual cheap RGB LEDs which are driven by multiple driver boards. The costs might add up with the cabling etc, but easy to swap if needed, and probably more reliable. This is the way to go, not these huge boards which are hard to diagnose, uninstall & replace. Other companies should take notice.

TNA is awesome, but trying to accomplish another level. I would think Stern Star Trek Premium/LE would be more comparable. I've never heard of entire strings of lights going out on those. Believe me, Stern has enough of their own issues to complain about, I'm just still amazed at the one-light-out-kills-the-string technology. Someone referenced if everything wasn't like this if the board went out, but that's different. Yes, if a "column" or "row" went out in the "light matrix" then yes, but you certainly don't lose multiple lights if a bulb goes out.

Anyway, not gonna start a greenhornet like rant on the bulb technology, just surprised.

#17669 2 years ago

so about to puchase pinstadium lighting. Question is if I go with a flasher option or not and if so what color. Apparently the flashers will go off based on when I tell them too (triggered event). I dont believe there are any flashers in this game. I really love the current feel and lighting but just need a little more white light as it gets almost dark during certain modes.

Question is do I go with flashers? Thinking white if I do but green, red or blue could be cool too.

#17670 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

so about to puchase pinstadium lighting. Question is if I go with a flasher option or not and if so what color. Apparently the flashers will go off based on when I tell them too (triggered event). I dont believe there are any flashers in this game. I really love the current feel and lighting but just need a little more white light as it gets almost dark during certain modes.
Question is do I go with flashers? Thinking white if I do but green, red or blue could be cool too.

I've never seen a game in person so I can't really comment on what color would be best. I can provide some information about the flasher trigger though. If the game doesn't have any actual flashers you may not be able to achieve a good PS flasher integration effect. It's not like you can program them to go off at certain times in a game, the trigger has to be connected to something that is not matrixed (in other words you can't just hook it up to a certain switch in the game) and that would trigger it with good results. WOZ is a great example, there are definitely other places I think the flasher trigger would be better suited but because there are only two "flashers" in the game the only real option is limited to the Red witch flasher. Again, I don't know Alien at all so I don't know if there are any flashers or good sources to use for the flasher trigger, I just want you to have a realistic expectation of what you can do with it. It's possible one of the feature lights that flash at times would make serve you well. As for general improvement of lighting I don't think you can possibly go wrong with the PS kit based on what I saw of it installed Alien.

#17671 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I've never seen a game in person so I can't really comment on what color would be best. I can provide some information about the flasher trigger though. If the game doesn't have any actual flashers you may not be able to achieve a good PS flasher integration effect. It's not like you can program them to go off at certain times in a game, the trigger has to be connected to something that is not matrixed (in other words you can't just hook it up to a certain switch in the game) and that would trigger it with good results. WOZ is a great example, there are definitely other places I think the flasher trigger would be better suited but because there are only two "flashers" in the game the only real option is limited to the Red witch flasher. Again, I don't know Alien at all so I don't know if there are any flashers or good sources to use for the flasher trigger, I just want you to have a realistic expectation of what you can do with it. It's possible one of the feature lights that flash at times would make serve you well. As for general improvement of lighting I don't think you can possibly go wrong with the PS kit based on what I saw of it installed Alien.

That's a good point - didn't know it works just like that. I'll reach out to Scott to see if flasher is N/A b/c ALien doesn't even have any in it!

#17672 2 years ago

I honestly think that extra lighting would ruin the ominous feel of this game, the only thing that would be cool is to have a flasher on the xeno when it eats the ball IMO.

#17673 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

That's a good point - didn't know it works just like that. I'll reach out to Scott to see if flasher is N/A b/c ALien doesn't even have any in it!

Good idea! Since he tested a kit in an actual Alien game he should be able to tell you what they did for the flasher and GI integration unless they just didn't have time to get to that part.

#17674 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I honestly think that extra lighting would ruin the ominous feel of this game, the only thing that would be cool is to have a flasher on the xeno when it eats the ball IMO.

I dunno, a couple of spots at the inlanes would probably be plenty. No need for the eye-searing pinstadium overkills.

#17675 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I dunno, a couple of spots at the inlanes would probably be plenty. No need for the eye-searing pinstadium overkills.

Seriously - I go back and forth on this too. I really like how it's lit just need a little more specifcially down low. Maybe I'll try a couple of spots first. Maybe connected to coin door lights.

#17676 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I think that's a legit concern but because it's so adjustable I think you could easily strike a nice balance of making the ball a lot easier to see and keeping the proper vibe. If you stick spots or strips in the game you're stuck with that as always on unless you want to open up the game and disconnect or move them, etc. Options abound!!

#17677 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

No need for the eye-searing pinstadium overkills.

Seriously.

#17678 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

No need for the eye-searing pinstadium overkills.

No need at all because you can set the brightness as well as the color.

#17679 2 years ago

Screw it - I'm going to buy pinstadium and if I can't dial it in, I'll sell it used to someone else and eat the diff. I like all the options it provides and always willing to give something new a chance.

EDIT - talked to Scott. You can have the flasher go off of any action so essentially you can now add a flasher option to Alien. I will prob buy it with flash (25 extra - why not) and go from there.

#17680 2 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

greenhornet and xTheBlackKnightx .. you two guys should prob hangout.. like away from Pinside.

I like the the Black Knight. He may be a bit condescending, but he is helpful.

#17681 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

if I can't dial it in

Hahahah you said Dialed In

--Jeff

#17682 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

No need at all because you can set the brightness as well as the color.

Yeah I'm not sure everybody understands that you can turn the pinstadiumlights down to just a sock of additional lighting if you want. Whatever your own personal preference is.
I ordered the base package of lights, without the 2 options. We'll see.

#17683 2 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

Yeah I'm not sure everybody understands that you can turn the pinstadiumlights down to just a sock of additional lighting if you want. Whatever your own personal preference is.
I ordered the base package of lights, without the 2 options. We'll see.

without that GI option, I don't think the lights will turn off when it goes into MB (beginning - where Alien eats ball). FYI.

#17684 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'll sell it used to someone else and eat the diff. I like all the options it provides and always willing to give something new a chance.

Just buy the JJP power connector with your order. Like I said, you can just move Pin Stadium to your WoZ or Dialed In if you decide you don't want it on Alien.

#17685 2 years ago

thanks but WoZ already has a nice lighting kit and DI is bright enough. I really don't need DI to be any brighter - it's already seizure inducing! ; )

#17686 2 years ago

Dear Heighway Pinball:

Please make sure your next game is tested in a completely dark room.

#17687 2 years ago

Random crowd watching Alien at this weekend's European Pinball Championship in Borås, Sweden.

Gary (resized).png

#17688 2 years ago
Quoted from Archieball:

Random crowd watching Alien at this weekend's European Pinball Championship in Borås, Sweden.

Who's the Benjamin Franklin geezer in front??

#17689 2 years ago

Shit! Is he in Sweden again? Cancel the ALERT!

images-6 (resized).jpg

#17690 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

RANDOM...CROUD...

#17691 2 years ago
Quoted from Archieball:

Interesting how the alien is on the right side of yours yet left on mine!

I see your sides are not working. Try unplugging an replugging into the 12v open slot.....

#17692 2 years ago

delt31 how’s the gameplay? About how many modes do you get through? Still trying to understand if it’s more Lord of the Rings or Shadow in terms of length.

#17693 2 years ago

Looks like the back of Gary's pants are full from crapping himself at the sight of Alien.

#17694 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Interesting how the alien is on the right side of yours yet left on mine!

i thought you could switch the side cabinet decals out to game match the playfields.. can't u just switch your left and right around?

#17695 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Still trying to understand if it’s more Lord of the Rings or Shadow in terms of length.

Alien code is quite respectable, but it's nothing like the level of depth in LOTR or WOZ. You've basically got two movies to choose from, with 4 modes each. I think most 3-ball games end before starting the movie mini-wizard mode. If playing well, you might start the mini-wizard, then move on to repeat process with the next movie. But I've never seen anyone finish both mini-wizards in a single game. If you're lucky to do that, you also need to start all 4 multiballs to get to the ALL OUT WAR final wizard mode. And I think it's already been made clear that Lifecycle multiball is a quite challenge to start, so getting to All Out War will be incredibly difficult on a 3 ball game.

I see Aliens as an amped up 90's mode based game, with some user flexibility choices for keeping individual games fresh, and a substantial challenge for getting to the final wizard mode. Also has scoring bonuses for completing the modes, and selectable gun bonuses depending on your gameplay. It's pretty clear cut & easy to understand, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think Ferret did an excellent job. But I wouldn't call that depth, just more of a difficult challenge to reach the end. Kinda similar to Metallica.

#17696 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Bernie Sanders, obviously. Not shocking that he'd turn up in Sweden, but I had no idea he was into pinball. Hopefully he got a game in after Ron Howard's brother was done playing.

#17697 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Alien code is quite respectable, but it's nothing like the level of depth in LOTR or WOZ. You've basically got two movies to choose from, with 4 modes each. I think most 3-ball games end before starting the movie mini-wizard mode. If playing well, you might start the mini-wizard, then move on to repeat process with the next movie. But I've never seen anyone finish both mini-wizards in a single game. If you're lucky to do that, you also need to start all 4 multiballs to get to the ALL OUT WAR final wizard mode. And I think it's already been made clear that Lifecycle multiball is a quite challenge to start, so getting to All Out War will be incredibly difficult on a 3 ball game.
I see Aliens as an amped up 90's mode based game, with some user flexibility choices for keeping individual games fresh, and a substantial challenge for getting to the final wizard mode. Also has scoring bonuses for completing the modes, and selectable gun bonuses depending on your gameplay. It's pretty clear cut & easy to understand, and there's nothing wrong with that. I think Ferret did an excellent job. But I wouldn't call that depth, just more of a difficult challenge to reach the end. Kinda similar to Metallica.

There’s no such thing as a challenge in Pinball, only design flaws

Excellent. I was hoping it was more Shadow vs LOtR. I like quicker games be long drawn out ones where you spend 40 minutes playing only to fail.

#17698 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Bernie Sanders, obviously. Not shocking that he'd turn up in Sweden, but I had no idea he was into pinball. Hopefully he got a game in after Ron Howard's brother was done playing.

#17699 2 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I thought that was Steven Wright playing the game.

#17700 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Looks like the back of Gary's pants are full from crapping himself at the sight of Alien.

Yeah, prolly because of all the games he's going to sell before another boatload of Aliens ship to the States. How long did this batch of 20-25 take since we were supposed to get them in April...? 6 months?

I know there was a change in management and all, and it is great to finally see them get here, but we have a long ways to go here. It's not like AFMr when a new unboxing was happening every 2-3 days. This is basically 2 - one home machine and one at a European Pinball Championship.

I want to see these things like AFMr or Aerosmith: in a LOT of homes. I remember dropping $8000 for Alien, and then everything went nuts, and I got out. Trust me - I have the funds to do it again - and I want to, but I need some solid evidence. I want to see some solid footing that this game is here to stay, that people are getting it, that Pinside can barely keep up with the games coming in off the boats, and one unboxing after another and everyone raving that it was "worth the wait".

Right now, we basically have one, and Delt has had to do quite a bit of troubleshooting. Another reason I'm glad to wait a bit: let everyone else sort the bugs out.

It's a start, but we have a long, long ways to go before I drop my money. And this is not the only game in town I'm interested in, so hopefully Alien gets a big jumpstart, else, my money will go somewhere else down the road.

I want to visit LV-426. I really do.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 14,900.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
14,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Back Alley Creations
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
There are 27005 posts in this topic. You are on page 354 of 541.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside