• 24,687 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Durzel
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 353 of 494.
#17601 1 year ago

Some tips from some of the original owners still apply to my machine specifically bending that metal by the right orbit to the left for better clearance. I've also had the ball bounce out of inlanes occasionally which was discussed as well. I feel like my lcd is level. Alien head has been working. Need to work on leveling the machine more and hooking up my sub....

#17602 1 year ago

lights > there are unused clips on the underside pf boards so that is not a big deal.
Assuming things are the same on these as the unit we have, then you likely have a single loose bulb/socket which then prevents that whole string from working.

with the game on and all lights on you can gently push on each bulb socket from the backside of the board while looking to see what happens with the lights. If gentle flexing brings the lights back sometimes then that hints towards a cold solder joint or just loose bulb.

unfortunately the backside light boards (actually they are light and switch boards) are very large and kind of a pain to work on. If you have a cold solder joint then you need to drop the whole board, remove the socket light, and then reflow. Dont reflow with the LED still in socket as they cant handle any heat.

fingers crossed it is just a loose bulb.

I can get you more photos from our game if you need them, but it is on route so will be a few days.

#17603 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

lights > there are unused clips on the underside pf boards so that is not a big deal.
Assuming things are the same on these as the unit we have, then you likely have a single loose bulb/socket which then prevents that whole string from working.
with the game on and all lights on you can gently push on each bulb socket from the backside of the board while looking to see what happens with the lights. If gentle flexing brings the lights back sometimes then that hints towards a cold solder joint or just loose bulb.
unfortunately the backside light boards (actually they are light and switch boards) are very large and kind of a pain to work on. If you have a cold solder joint then you need to drop the whole board, remove the socket light, and then reflow. Dont reflow with the LED still in socket as they cant handle any heat.
I can get you more photos from our game if you need them, but it is on route so will be a few days.

Thanks you. I will press on all the connectors to the boards to see if anything turns on and let you know. If that doesn't work I'll wait for pics to see if something should be plugged in that's not.

#17604 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I wasn't sure if you could or not, that makes it a much more viable option, what if you don't have a smart phone? I wonder if the lit side rails add extra light to the game the thing with apron led strip and spots is that you get needed light close to flippers but the rest of the game, side plastics etc. stay dark which I like, I haven't seen pinstadium in person so I don't know, looking forward to seeing what the new owners do to correct this, man its killing me, might have to get a new CC and buy one, I said I was going to wait for a year but damn it this is the coolest pin on the market.

That's my FTh
I added 6 RGB lights which are tied into the LED wires, shooter lane light, led Flipper buttons, through light, 3 bikes, exchanged white back board strip for red, clear rings

#17605 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

The price for the lights may be but the you can adjust the brightness of the lights on your smartphone. Saw it at expo. Pretty cool.

I'll second the vote for the Pin Stadium lights over adding strips. You can adjust the brightness and color, easily turn them off if you want, and they look way less tacky than light strips stuck to the apron. Considering what other mods cost the PS lights are a pretty good deal, especially if you don't do add-ons like GI integration (I would highly recommend that one though) or UV flasher.

#17606 1 year ago

so 2A-11 through 2A-21 are out. Initial push and see didn't work but will keep on trying. I see there are labels on the PCB but don't see 1 for 1. Will continue. Pics of someone's PCB might be best. Game is awesome though

Order for Pinstadium will likely go in today. GI is imperative so lights out actually means lights out during modes. Not sure if I want flasher though. Feel like it's a why not as I can at least put it very low if needed. A little more is all it needs - nothing over the top.

#17607 1 year ago

Hi All

This have been a looong weeken .

The European pinball championship 2017 whent of in Sweden and the piballeye club in Boras .

It was almost 300 players fighting for the best player in Europe.

As a distributer of Heighwaypinball i was there from friday to sunday and promoting the Alien game .

And so was Gary Stern and Ole (Norway/Sweden distributor of Stern games ) from Stern promoting their games

We also run a side facehugger competition for the best Alien player at the place and had a long line of players fighting for the price.

The Alien game did 2127 games since we unpacked it this Tuesday and most of the runs from friday at 08.00 to late 03.00 same time on saturday so the game was hard tested by the best player in Europe and did 19 hour a day the last days.

What can we say , we had 2 small problem

1. The light on the side did not work all the time.

2. Some problem with the audio cable from the sound board to the amplifier when the game was realy hot.

I will have a look at this in the week and fix it.

Otherwise the game did verry well and i think if it can handle this long playing and sometimes hard palying its fantastic.

So who was the best Alien player then : Mads Kristensen from Denmark ( ELK ) crazy points of : 874.293.770

Who i hand the facehugger torphy over to.

Thanks you all for playing.

And for all of you Swedish player , there will be a new tropy in the Swedish open in pinball coming up on the 10 of November. And for you not Swedish people the Alien game will be ouside of the normal competition so just arraive at the place and do the highest scoore and the new thropy will be yours .....

xx0 (resized).JPG

xx1 (resized).JPG

xx2 (resized).JPG

xx3 (resized).JPG

xx4 (resized).JPG

#17608 1 year ago

I have been in (paid) on this game for a couple years now and I'm really happy games are actually shipping. Couple times in the last 6 months I've almost bailed and it wasn't because this thread goes full retard about every 2 weeks but due to the repeated delays from the old/new management. While I will probably will stay all in for it, I'm disappointed that Delt31 still has to troubleshoot lighting. Hopefully QC will get the message and people who receive the next batch can plug and play going forward.

#17609 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Going to sleep but trying to find out why two inserts don't light up. Looked underneath and took this picture where the lights are. If someone with an alien can take a similar bc potentially missing plug?

Yes there are extra connectors on most boards but Ill take a look - did they ever work?

One thing though - the side lights, most leds on these are 5v so Id check that before you run it on 12v too long. (But chances are they used a genaric 12v strip, I just havent looked) There is an adjustment for led brightness in the settings make sure its at max (8 I think) before you try other options.

#17610 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Order for Pinstadium will likely go in today

Order the Pin Stadium JJP connector also. You can swap Pin Stadium over to your WoZ, which would look super, if you didn't prefer to keep it on Alien. I suspect you'll be buying another Pin Stadium because it is a terrific mod for any game.

#17611 1 year ago
Quoted from libtech:

Yes there are extra connectors on most boards but Ill take a look - did they ever work?
One thing though - the side lights, most leds on these are 5v so Id check that before you run it on 12v too long. (But chances are they used a genaric 12v strip, I just havent looked) There is an adjustment for led brightness in the settings make sure its at max (8 I think) before you try other options.

No A11 through A21 never worked. Really interested to see what you find in that are of under the PF. A10 is the last working light and then A22 and on. I didn't really notice at first since 95% of the lights work but now it's on my radar.

As for the side lights, I moved them over to the 12v and they actually work now vs before. Can you check just to make sure that's OK?

Backbox actually light but only with the coin door open. Once closed, they turn off. Even with the coin door open the light is faint. It's odd. I was going to put RGB back there anyway so I'm not too concerned. I just want to figure out the A11 to A21. Thanks!

#17612 1 year ago

Black trim looks great on the Alien SE's. While, I like the custom black with green powder coating job shown elsewhere, I'd very happy keeping it black. Most scoring I've seen has been a few million points. The score of .875B above seems impossible to most.

#17613 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The score of .875B above seems impossible to most.

That's an odd way of saying 875 million.

#17614 1 year ago

So who has the other CT Aliens? Guessing they are being shipped to end users.....anxious to see more unboxings!!!

#17615 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

That's an odd way of saying 875 million.

gotcha .. I should have said a score of (20 x human) = 1 superbad mf.

#17616 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Black trim looks great on the Alien SE's. While, I like the custom black with green powder coating job shown elsewhere, I'd very happy keeping it black.

Black looks great but really wish they would have went with black legs to match. Something I will have to look into if I end up with one

#17617 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Here's a video of that shot. If you hit the left orbit clean and let it go around and bounce off a dead right flipper it goes RIGHT to your upper left flipper for a shot. I botch it and miss the first attempt but you get the picture (end up hitting it in the end).
» YouTube video

delt31 good having you part of this thread. Thanks for sharing your new Alien experiences with us, and being so responsive. It makes the wait slightly more palatable for the rest of us.

#17618 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

So who has the other CT Aliens? Guessing they are being shipped to end users.....anxious to see more unboxings!!!

I've got one...hasn't shipped yet.

#17619 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Btw what do the bulb sockets look like? I see smaller and middle size connectors and pins. Medium size seem to turn the lights to rgb while I'm not sure what the smaller ones do.

#17620 1 year ago

Special thanks to sunking for bringing the Aliens game to HAAG this weekend. Very cool to see this game at our Houston show, it was enjoyed by everyone.

#17621 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

delt31 good having you part of this thread. Thanks for sharing your new Alien experiences with us, and being so responsive. It makes the wait slightly more palatable for the rest of us.

Your welcome - happy to share. Been having a great time with the game. Unique keeps on coming to mind when I think about it. Although if I had to compare it had so many similarities to IJTPA but darker and more/varied shot selection. Switching to dialed in from playing aliens feels like going from hell to happy happy joy Joy. It's crazy how different they are.

Hope to get another video up tonight

#17622 1 year ago

delt31 ... based on your description of your blank lamps, it seems most likely that 2-A11 (Left Ramp Arrow) is either out of its socket, or broken. Could also possibly be a problem with 2-A10 (Left Orbit Symbol, which is the square insert with an egg icon). The lamps are kinda like Christmas tree lights, they come in strands... if there's a break in a strand, it takes out the rest of the strand.

Unfortunately, if just pressing on the socket from underneath isn't enough, you'll probably have to detach the center PCB to try to fix this, which is a pain in the butt... be very careful if you attempt this, lots of opportunities to damage stuff, what with the lights, inductive switches, and even the USB cable plugged into the IOBoard, which is very easy to break.

Good luck!

BTW, Mats' 874M score is crazy high, extremely impressive... I'm quite curious to know if he discovered an exploit or just played it long and hard...

#17623 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Hey MK!

I'm hoping to have mine from Cointakers by Wednesday ( just in time for Halloween). Going to have some buddies over to open and play it, including Greg from the SDTM podcast in order to film it. I'm hoping to have everything filmed, including fly by of the pin inside and out.

#17624 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'm in there as well. if you're down by Charleston any time, hit me up.

#17625 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Special thanks to sunking for bringing the Aliens game to HAAG this weekend. Very cool to see this game at our Houston show, it was enjoyed by everyone.

Thank you sir!

Yes, Alien was played nearly non-stop for 14 hours on Friday and 16 hours on Saturday. During all that, it went down about six times. I had a wire break off the shooter coil and had to be re-soldered (twice!). There were a couple times where the flippers stopped working (only one would fire...strange) - that was fixed with just rebooting. I had a flipper rubber break - TITAN Pinball to the rescue. But what may concern new owners is that both of my facehuggers lost their tails, and ended up jammed in the ball trough.

Overall I think everyone seemed to enjoy the game. It's really loud at HAAG (like an arcade party!), so most folks didn't get to appreciate the sound as it's meant to be - but - I did get lots of compliments.

Keep in mind, my machine is pre-production, and running on version 0.94. Until I get updated parts, I can not update the code. Also, my Xeno does not work, the playfield LDC is out, and some lights are out as well. I was hopeful I'd have the updated parts before the show so that everyone could experience a 'full version' Alien...but that didn't happen. In fact I'm not sure if they were on the container that showed up at CT's late last week. I'll reach out to Mellisa on Monday....fingers (still) crossed.

IMG_3779 (resized).JPG
IMG_3780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3713 (resized).JPG
IMG_3756 (resized).JPG
IMG_3771 (resized).JPG

#17626 1 year ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Hey MK!
I'm hoping to have mine from Cointakers by Wednesday ( just in time for Halloween). Going to have some buddies over to open and play it, including Greg from the SDTM podcast in order to film it. I'm hoping to have everything filmed, including fly by of the pin inside and out.

thats awesome - can't wait to see.

#17627 1 year ago

The more pics and video that comes out, the more kick ass this game appears.... love the dark atmosphere...

#17628 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

The lamps are kinda like Christmas tree lights, they come in strands... if there's a break in a strand, it takes out the rest of the strand.

OK, I've been a fan of Heighway (more Full Throttle than Alien) but this is crazy. This may be exposing my ignorance, but why the hell are these designed like this? All I've heard from some of the notorious cheerleaders is how advanced Heighway's design is. But hell, Christmas tree lights don't even work like "Christmas tree lights" any more. Why does an $8K pinball machine have technology that $2 Christmas tree lights abandoned?

#17629 1 year ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Hey MK!

EXCELLENT!!!

#17630 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

delt31 ... based on your description of your blank lamps, it seems most likely that 2-A11 (Left Ramp Arrow) is either out of its socket, or broken. Could also possibly be a problem with 2-A10 (Left Orbit Symbol, which is the square insert with an egg icon). The lamps are kinda like Christmas tree lights, they come in strands... if there's a break in a strand, it takes out the rest of the strand.
Unfortunately, if just pressing on the socket from underneath isn't enough, you'll probably have to detach the center PCB to try to fix this, which is a pain in the butt... be very careful if you attempt this, lots of opportunities to damage stuff, what with the lights, inductive switches, and even the USB cable plugged into the IOBoard, which is very easy to break.
Good luck!
BTW, Mats' 874M score is crazy high, extremely impressive... I'm quite curious to know if he discovered an exploit or just played it long and hard...

just to confirm - pressing on the "socket"- is that just finding where the LED is and then from underneath push on it (literally pushing on the board - it's a square that's underneath the led) - is that the socket?

#17631 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

This may be exposing my ignorance, but why the hell are these designed like this?

Aren't most games designed like this in one way or another? If you have a board issue, you'll get a row that goes out, no? I don't think it's unusual at all. The issue I'd be concerned with is a problem like this straight out of the box. The new games that have board mounted lights make it all happen in the same place I guess which is new but the concept is the same...though I may be exposing my ignorance as well.

#17632 1 year ago

Thanks for bringing Alien, sunking. It was my first time seeing one and thought it was pretty cool. I bet it is awesome when you can hear the sounds. Love how they did the display. It fit the theme very well. I was waiting a turn to play and noticed the woman had a high score. Game looked like it was stuck in a mode and there was an endless ball save. Very strange. She just kept playing. I walked away thinking it was going to be a long wait to play.

#17633 1 year ago

I knew I should have gone this weekend instead of the UT game!

#17634 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

OK, I've been a fan of Heighway (more Full Throttle than Alien) but this is crazy. This may be exposing my ignorance, but why the hell are these designed like this? All I've heard from some of the notorious cheerleaders is how advanced Heighway's design is. But hell, Christmas tree lights don't even work like "Christmas tree lights" any more. Why does an $8K pinball machine have technology that $2 Christmas tree lights abandoned?

I think thats the reality of new games with colour changing LEDs, bitch to troubleshoot too, no longer is it check for power and a ground and your good, the thrid din wire goes from each light to light in a chain.

#17635 1 year ago

Some more gameplay.

First video includes an example of that orbit dead shot to left flipper and combos into ramp and air vent. Alien MB but the ball was too fast for it to catch. The video also has an example of the ball kicking out of inlane which happens occasionally. Gave up at the end (MB) to take the video below.

Second video is proper Alien MB showing the tongue to ball goodness we all love. God I love that MB. The camera light is on which takes away from the effect but when you guys get this and the lights go out, it's really something. Lights come back up all red - very well done.

#17636 1 year ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Hey MK!

Just in case you are every short on Southern Indiana pinball friends...just saying.

#17637 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I received the tracking info today from CT. Looks like the ETA to California is Friday. That would make a wonderful start to the weekend.

#17638 1 year ago
Quoted from drypaint:

I received the tracking info today from CT. Looks like the ETA to California is Friday. That would make a wonderful start to the weekend.

This is all great news....ALIEN LIVES!!!

#17639 1 year ago

I have one on the way as well.

#17640 1 year ago

Cannot wait for the LE run!!! Congrats to all new owners......

#17641 1 year ago

What of the breaking face huggers? I wonder if there’s a solution?

#17642 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What of the breaking face huggers? I wonder if there’s a solution?

Soft rubber that nicely shakes during gameplay always eventually gives out. Just like the original "softie" AFM aliens. They all finally lost their appendages also.

All you can do is periodically replace 'em or use a stiffer version like the semi-hard AFM versions. Ok that sentence doesn't sound quite right

I doubt if they will offer a different facehugger for a while so you just have to hope you can buy replacements from the company without too much fuss. "Fuss" being the key word when it comes to getting parts from Heighway.

#17643 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

if you have not realized by now, nobody is bothered by his opinon. It is the 3 month build up, the fact that he has not even played a single game on Alien (all his analysis from wathcing streams of production games with players that are learning the game), and his posturing as some sort of pro on design when he obviously has very little clue to the reality of what has gone into making the produciton machine.

how many times have you parroted this viewpoint over and over?
pinside definition of broken record:
Repeating the same viewpoint over and over is annoying and does not add to the discussion. Please stop it, we've heard you the first time.

Quoted from Whysnow:

xeno work?
all lights work?

piece of work?

#17644 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

His purpose is agenda driven, period (coming from an adult who is very in tune to this type of activity) and not appreciated on my behalf.

MK6PIN appeared to be ready to give us a lesson on questionable behavior but stopped short, settling for the buzz words [agenda driven]. not a single thought of any substance - even though it appears he is quite certain. for those hoping to learn something about questionable behavior, the above is an example of insinuation. and the following, an example of hypocrisy.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Greenhornet's comments are all based on his observations and perceived "truths" about gameplay... and yes his statements are OPINION.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

This is ridiculous.....if you're not interested in the game, move on. If you want to inject speculative " fact based" drama, not interested.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

the purpose of your posting is to bring what to this thread? I speculate venom. Now go away.

Yet

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Never worry about posting your opinion...that's what pinside is about, and someone will always have a different one. it's healthy.

ALL TOO EASY.

alltooeasy.gif

a few days ago, i gave you two large paragraphs detailing my motivations. still, you speculate that i have some 'agenda' different than what i laid out for you. im sure a few people would love to hear it.

#17645 1 year ago

"insure return of organism for analysis"

err, ensure?

#17646 1 year ago
Quoted from epotech:

"insure return of organism for analysis"
err, ensure?

Looks like they're staying true to the film

Screenshot_20171023-060314 (resized).png

#17647 1 year ago

OMG, I can't believe Alien has finally shipped!!! Congrats to owners and new Heighway management/investors. The few short clips I've seen look really good. Xeno head looks cool. As for the sound - Thiel is a genius. Would almost buy the game just for that.

#17648 1 year ago

congrats to all the new owners!

Things are looking good!

#17649 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Looks like they're staying true to the film

aah, makes sense. thanks.

#17650 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Repeating the same viewpoint over and over is annoying and does not add to the discussion. Please stop it, we've heard you the first time.

Holy shit. If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 50.00
There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 353 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside