• 24,679 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by WolfManCat
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24679 posts in this topic. You are on page 342 of 494.
#17051 1 year ago

nice muttonstatchechops!

#17052 1 year ago

I pm'd this guy and asked here - no info. I have been waiting on it from CT who hasn't sent anything besides the truck pick up. No ship info. Last I heard from CT was that and I recently asked for it. I doubt this guy has the info.

It must be close though if they left end of september. Of course, will update this with info when/if I get it.

I'm also thinking about those pinstadium lights but worried it's going to make it too bright (even with it being on low) but also the reflections of the lights that you see (they connect to the sides of the frame). The cost also jumps significantly to 245 when you add necessary options. Thinking of waiting to see how it looks in my house first before buying. Anyone else picking them up?

#17053 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I have been waiting on it from CT who hasn't sent anything besides the truck pick up. No ship info.

There should be no reason to not have the Ship Tracking Number. It would be fun to track the shipment!

#17054 1 year ago
Quoted from Toads:

That should have no effect on refunds.
With any decient company one request is all that it takes.

I agree. But who said they were decent?

#17055 1 year ago
Quoted from spfxted:

There should be no reason to not have the Ship Tracking Number. It would be fun to track the shipment!

Agreed! That's why I've been asking them for it. No info yet! I would love to track as I'm picking this up myself from CT so it will help plan better too on my end.

#17056 1 year ago

No word yet on the fiber replacement right?
wish I could "downgrade".

#17057 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeHogue:

Glad you got your refund!
I supported the company with a $1500 deposit Oct of 2014.
I've been asking for a refund since June of 2017.
Morgan hasn't responded to my latest email of a couple days ago. Why are some being refunded and others are not?

i have had no issues contacting morgan
every time i have emailed them i got a response.
good luck, keep trying.

#17058 1 year ago
Quoted from robotron:

good luck, keep trying.

The old gag regarding JPOO was his customers could not get him to call back for post sales support or maintenance issues. People posing as new customers however would get a prompt return call. It was uncanny how that played out.

Primarily using email to resolve issues is often ineffective. Heighway should be picking up the phone and reaching out to its customers with issues and actively following up until resolved. Granted, this reflects the minimum acceptable effort, it is a long way from best practice. At this point, a little common sense and extra attention to detail would be a welcomed sight for sore eyes.

#17059 1 year ago
Quoted from robotron:

good luck, keep trying.

The only time I ever got a response from Morgan was when I CC'd either Andrew (past) or Daniel (recent). Nobody likes their boss seeing emails they've ignored.

#17060 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I pm'd this guy and asked here - no info. I have been waiting on it from CT who hasn't sent anything besides the truck pick up. No ship info. Last I heard from CT was that and I recently asked for it. I doubt this guy has the info.
It must be close though if they left end of september. Of course, will update this with info when/if I get it.
I'm also thinking about those pinstadium lights but worried it's going to make it too bright (even with it being on low) but also the reflections of the lights that you see (they connect to the sides of the frame). The cost also jumps significantly to 245 when you add necessary options. Thinking of waiting to see how it looks in my house first before buying. Anyone else picking them up?

I myself don't have it but would have thought CT or Heighway would have the numbers. Yes, I admit to being intentionally vague and provocative

#17061 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I only have The Shadow, so I made my own "stadium" lights. Since I didn't need GI dimming it was pretty simple.

I can't remember how Alien works with regards to GI and dimming. So, getting a Pinstadium set with the GI dimming modal might be the way to go. If the GI is simply on or off, then a basic relay would be all you need to roll your own.

I'd be curious how dim the Pinstadium lights can go. I suspect they'd be brighter than I'd like for Alien.

#17062 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I'd be curious how dim the Pinstadium lights can go. I suspect they'd be brighter than I'd like for Alien.

They seem way too bright for such a dark theme. The movies were super dark... space, spaceships on auxiliary lighting, blackness and steam making it hard to see the monsters coming... that was part of the suspense of it all.

#17063 1 year ago

Spots, thats the ticket.

#17064 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

They seem way too bright for such a dark theme. The movies were super dark... space, spaceships on auxiliary lighting, blackness and steam making it hard to see the monsters coming... that was part of the suspense of it all.

This is my point too. Part of the game's theme is being dark so trying it out first. See later.

GI integration is necessary b/c MB they cut the lights wouldn't work anymore.

#17065 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I only have The Shadow, so I made my own "stadium" lights. Since I didn't need GI dimming it was pretty simple.
I can't remember how Alien works with regards to GI and dimming. So, getting a Pinstadium set with the GI dimming modal might be the way to go. If the GI is simply on or off, then a basic relay would be all you need to roll your own.

They get pretty dim, on Alien is might be really cool to just have them set to dark green and keep the white GI turned way down. In fact a green flasher option might be perfect for Alien as well but would have to see one in person first to get a better understanding. I do agree that dark games are not always a bad thing especially if the theme is dark to begin with.

#17066 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I only have The Shadow, so I made my own "stadium" lights. Since I didn't need GI dimming it was pretty simple

Have you posted what you did? Interested in checking it out because even though I have a pin Stadium kit arriving in a few days I want to make a basic lighting kit for my big hurt pinball.

#17067 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I myself don't have it but would have thought CT or Heighway would have the numbers. Yes, I admit to being intentionally vague and provocative

intentionally vague an provocative? Oh.....K......

anyway - still no update from CT on shipping. I have a feeling the next email from CT will just be to notify me I can pick it up. We'll see.

#17068 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I can't remember how Alien works with regards to GI and dimming.

All lights on Alien are individually addressable, full color LEDs. We do lots of GI color effects and swooshes and wipes and such.

#17069 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

All lights on Alien are individually addressable, full color LEDs. We do lots of GI color effects and swooshes and wipes and such.

That's what I thought was mentioned......can't see Pinstadium working on this title....maybe a couple of spots, if needed. I want it dark and experience full effect. Having control of overhead lighting hopefully gets me what I want to see (works great for WOZ)......

#17070 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

The movies might take place in dark, but it's all "lit" well. The closest analogy I have for under lighting the playfield is the projectionist in the film booth turning down the light on the projector, and the screen imagery is dark and muddy, which does not help the experience.

There was probably a way to light the playfield properly, and still make it moody. It's unfortunate that this happened again on Alien when it was clear it was a problem on Full Throttle that Andrew had publicly acknowledged.

Oh well, spots it is I guess.

#17071 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That's what I thought was mentioned......can't see Pinstadium working on this title....maybe a couple of spots, if needed. I want it dark and experience full effect. Having control of overhead lighting hopefully gets me what I want to see (works great for WOZ)......

Little confused on your last sentence. Does that mean you are going to get stadium or just go spot light route?

#17072 1 year ago

Just for reference, here are before and after photos of Full Throttle, with 2 spots added. I imagine as dramatic an improvement can be made with Alien.

They are powered from the coin slot.

IMG_1500 (resized).jpg
IMG_1503 (resized).jpg

#17073 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Little confused on your last sentence. Does that mean you are going to get stadium or just go spot light route?

Spotlights, if needed...see Frolics pics...

#17074 1 year ago

Did you see the pics of the Pin Stadium installed in Alien: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-stadium-lights-official-announcement/page/12#post-3989046

Don't know what settings that user had dialed in but I think it looks like a good compromise of brighter but not too bright. And as for effects, on WOZ with GI integration the PS kits do a lot of stuff that corresponds to the GI, I posted a couple videos of mine in the Pinstadium thread. It's still a to each their own decision, obviously, they both have their pros (spots are much cheaper but PS is more customizable and controllable) and cons. I do love the way the Pinstadium kit mounts on the Heighway games though, no need to pull them off when you raise the PF.

#17075 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Have you posted what you did? Interested in checking it out because even though I have a pin Stadium kit arriving in a few days I want to make a basic lighting kit for my big hurt pinball.

I haven't posted anything about it.

It's Pretty straight forward on The Shadow. I just made a small adapter for one of the "J" power connectors on the power driver board (J116 in my case) and wired a barrel jack extension to that. Attached the LED strip to an angled channel and used magnetic tape to attach an angled channel to the inside on my mirror blades.

If you want to know more PM me and I can let you know the parts I used and/or I can post something in the Shadow thread.

#17076 1 year ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I haven't posted anything about it.
It's Pretty straight forward on The Shadow. I just made a small adapter for one of the "J" power connectors on the power driver board (J116 in my case) and wired a barrel jack extension to that. Attached the LED strip to an angled channel and used magnetic tape to attach an angled channel to the inside on my mirror blades.
If you want to know more PM me and I can let you know the parts I used and/or I can post something in the Shadow thread.

Sounds like exactly what I was planning to do. You should def post something in the Shadow thread because I'm sure it will help a lot of people with that cool mod.

#17077 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Did you see the pics of the Pin Stadium installed in Alien: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-stadium-lights-official-announcement/page/12#post-3989046
Don't know what settings that user had dialed in but I think it looks like a good compromise of brighter but not too bright. And as for effects, on WOZ with GI integration the PS kits do a lot of stuff that corresponds to the GI, I posted a couple videos of mine in the Pinstadium thread. It's still a to each their own decision, obviously, they both have their pros (spots are much cheaper but PS is more customizable and controllable) and cons. I do love the way the Pinstadium kit mounts on the Heighway games though, no need to pull them off when you raise the PF.

That setting was blue all on at 100% and white 75% in that thread. I did the install on that one for a local owner so that we could test fit them on his machine and the mounting method worked exceptionally well with our design. That setting was turned up for the camera eye to pick it up, but in person 100% blue with a small percentage of green on the app, and then 45% white lighting was perfect! I attached a picture of the results with different settings. You can change it on the fly with the Pin Stadium app. Also I put up a video that shows it better in action:

alien2 (resized).PNG
alien1 (resized).PNG
alien3 (resized).PNG

alien_before_after (resized).png

#17078 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

Just for reference, here are before and after photos of Full Throttle, with 2 spots added. I imagine as dramatic an improvement can be made with Alien.
They are powered from the coin slot.

so that difference is just 2 spotlights? If so, how do you add them on this type of machine? I've only done it with alligator clips on an older machine. Can you link what I need to buy?

#17079 1 year ago

Let's start off with a prophetic quote from Andrew:

Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

I know the spotlight is on us.

this issue of weak lighting and/or dark playfields is present on a couple other NIB - not just Alien. check out the Houdini prototype [dark bats there too]. And how about TNA. Matt Andrews puts black in the middle of that playfield, despite acknowledging players will have a difficult time seeing the ball against black.
houdini2 (resized).jpg

tna17 (resized).jpg

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Having control of overhead lighting hopefully gets me what I want to see

I have found exactly what you are going to need.

spotlight06.jpg

Quoted from frolic:

It's unfortunate that this happened again on Alien when it was clear it was a problem on Full Throttle that Andrew had publicly acknowledged.
Oh well, spots it is I guess.

Quoted from Hazoff:

Spots, thats the ticket.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

Lights schmites. I can add a spotlight or 2 if need be.

And everybody laughed at me when I made 'light' of this shortcoming. and remember the black bats only make matters worse. wait a minute, found some white ones.

whitebat01.jpg

#17080 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

so that difference is just 2 spotlights? If so, how do you add them on this type of machine? I've only done it with alligator clips on an older machine. Can you link what I need to buy?

Yes. That photo is with 2 additional spots, you can kind of triangulate the origin of the light in the photo. on Full Throttle, there is 1 normal light socket - on the coin door, with positive and negative connection. So yes you could run your good old alligator wires to the coin door for power, just as you've done off GI on other games.

#17081 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

this issue of weak lighting and/or dark playfields is present on a couple other NIB - not just Alien. check out the Houdini prototype [dark bats there too]. And how about TNA. Matt Andrews puts black in the middle of that playfield, despite acknowledging players will have a difficult time seeing the ball against black.

I have found exactly what you are going to need.

And everybody laughed at me when I made 'light' of this shortcoming. and remember the black bats only make matters worse. wait a minute, found some white ones.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

#17082 1 year ago

front apron led strip, and several spotlights will fix it up easy, stadium is too much for me but still another option, not a big deal at all.

#17083 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Yes it is common even with the newest pinball and unfortunately there is not an easy or cheap way to fix or make something. A year ago I tried all of the methods mentioned in this thread. A lot of trial and error and it turned out that nothing off the shelf worked, it all fell off and drooped down after a few days, wasn't bright enough and didn't interact with the game(the lights stayed on and drowned out the GI effects). You won't have to worry about LED strips shining back in your eyes and I have personally pulled 9 spotlights out of my machines after the Pin Stadium install.

I spent the last year re-engineering my initial design and it required everything to be completely custom made, but it was worth it even the LED's are built specifically for the Pin Stadiums. Plus with the optional GI module this allows Alien to gain full control of the lights for a very nice theatrical show they way the programmers intended it. You can then connect to them via wifi(they generate their own) and dial it in to your exact liking with the app. I'm im the app development world so I felt the need to take it to this level of control.

Wait until POMC receives his and get his feedback on the results and quality of the Pin Stadiums. If you are at Expo we will have a booth up there this weekend so that you can check them out in person too. Alien in my opinion is amazing and now that you can see it makes it a super game. I hope this helps shine some light on this subject

Check this thread out so that you can learn more and get feedback from someone other than the designer of them:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pin-stadium-lights-official-announcement/page/14#post-4009759

Scott
Pin Stadium
www.pinstadium.com

#17084 1 year ago

Play with some ambient lighting on in the room. Problem solved...sheesh. I think the in-game lighting effects are good at creating a mood that might be diminished if you flood the playfield with lighting. Two spotlights? Sure. Hundreds of dollars worth of halogen-style light pollution? Foolish, but go ahead with your own game.

#17085 1 year ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Play with some ambient lighting on in the room. Problem solved...sheesh. I think the in-game lighting effects are good at creating a mood that might be diminished if you flood the playfield with lighting. Two spotlights? Sure. Hundreds of dollars worth of halogen-style light pollution? Foolish, but go ahead with your own game.

Read through the website and it will explain this better to you. With the app you can control the LED (not halogen) lighting and dial it in from 0-100% brightness with the white lighting and then independently you can control the colored lights from 0-100%. You can make it exactly how you like. I hope that helps.

#17086 1 year ago

lightgate.

#17087 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

Yes. That photo is with 2 additional spots, you can kind of triangulate the origin of the light in the photo. on Full Throttle, there is 1 normal light socket - on the coin door, with positive and negative connection. So yes you could run your good old alligator wires to the coin door for power, just as you've done off GI on other games.

That probably only works for Full Throttle right now. The ALIEN game code turns off that GI on the coin door when you're in a game.

There are a couple of spare, always-on 12V connectors on the power driver board that aren't used for anything else - these would be a better fit for custom lighting solutions, I think.

#17088 1 year ago

I like the Pinstadium lighting on some titles, I'm about to order it for my Addams Family, but that example above doesn't look good, it's way way way too bright. It's just overkill on this game and detracts from the lighting and art, rather than enhancing it.

#17089 1 year ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I like the Pinstadium lighting on some titles, I'm about to order it for my Addams Family, but that example above doesn't look good, it's way way way too bright. It's just overkill on this game and detracts from the lighting and art, rather than enhancing it.

There is a post prior explaining the control you have with them and also the picture was taken with them bright so that the camera could pick them up better.

You can dial the white lights down anywhere from 0-100% brightness (these are responsible for the illumination portion) and same with the colors too(separately controllable in the app and are responsible for the color casting on the playfield). I agree with you and personally like the settings mild on the Pin Stadiums when playing Alien as it let's you see the playfield but gives off that eerie glow that Alien was intended to have. But the good news is that now you can see the ball and the beautiful playfield. I hope that makes more sense.

#17090 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

There is a post prior explaining the control you have with them and also the picture was taken with them bright so that the camera could pick them up better.
You can dial the white lights down anywhere from 0-100% brightness (these are responsible for the illumination portion) and same with the colors too(separately controllable in the app and are responsible for the color casting on the playfield). I agree with you and personally like the settings mild on the Pin Stadiums when playing Alien as it let's you see the playfield but gives off that eerie glow that Alien was intended to have. But the good news is that now you can see the ball and the beautiful playfield. I hope that makes more sense.

Where do these fit... In the side or the back? And would these be compatible with the illuminated side blades?

#17091 1 year ago

Here is the tracking information on the ship carrying the first 21 Aliens.

OOLU4029084270 is the tracking number for the container consignment. Here is the corresponding web page for the tracking of this delivery http://www.oocl.com/eng/ourservices/eservices/cargotracking/Pages/CargoTracking.aspx

Sincerely,

Melissa
CoinTaker

#17093 1 year ago

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 6.52.56 PM.jpg

#17094 1 year ago

Hopefully the ship isn't piloted by this guy....

Joseph-Hazelwood (resized).jpg

#17095 1 year ago

I'm reading the following and it appears it's already in Penn?? See Equipment activities and it says the following:

Event Facility Location Mode Time Remarks
Carrier Released
Sunbury, Sunbury, Northumberland, Pennsylvania, United States 02 Oct 2017, 01:34 EDT

I've asked Melissa b/c I will drive there tomorrow and cancel all my meetings to pick this up!

What are you guys seeing? I literally just got the tracking info from CT too - they were quick to update the thread which was great to see!

#17096 1 year ago

Doesn't it say final destination October 17?

#17097 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I see that final destination is 10/17 however it says estimate. I was going off of the activity log which makes it seem like it's in Penn. I could be reading this wrong - lmk.

#17098 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Plus customs, and delivery to CT. By Nov 1, guys should be posting box openings.

#17099 1 year ago

Great news! I can't seem to get a response from HP if I'll be in the next container or not. 2 emails with zero response.

Still great news that they are on the way!

#17100 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Where do these fit... In the side or the back? And would these be compatible with the illuminated side blades?

The Pin Stadiums mount on the metal glass frame on the sides using our Magna Mount system(magnetics). It is a plug and play direct plug into the Alien PCB and also integrates with the illuminated side blade(syncs with them) which means it turns on and off and dims if you get the GI integration module option.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 24679 posts in this topic. You are on page 342 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside