• 24,632 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,838 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 320 of 493.
#15951 1 year ago

Well this showed up last Monday. But the glass broke in transit.

Working on cleaning out and getting a new glass.

IMG_20170807_102046 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170807_105302 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170807_105915 (resized).jpg

#15952 1 year ago
Quoted from onedeath:

Should be okay once you clean/vacuum right? Or is broken glass more problematic?

#15953 1 year ago
Quoted from onedeath:

Glassburster!

sorry this happened.

#15954 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Should be okay once you clean/vacuum right? Or is broken glass more problematic?

No should be OK once cleaned out. Just taking my time not to miss the one piece of glass that would inevitably get dragged over the playfield screen.

#15955 1 year ago
Quoted from onedeath:

Fitting name. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Alieu

#15956 1 year ago

This is the 2nd one reported here with glass broken in shipment out of how many? 20 shipped so far? I wonder if something has changed with the glass magazine.

#15957 1 year ago
Quoted from onedeath:

Did it come from Cointaker?

#15958 1 year ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

something has changed with the glass magazine.

A Full Throttle Andrew brought to RMPS had the glass broken in transit as well...so maybe nothing has changed but maybe should! Might need some specialized padding against it or something. Some foam under the glass that would at least keep all the glass out of the game if it does shatter.

#15959 1 year ago

It's wild to me that this can happen with the magazine holding the glass. You would think it would handle impact of travel better than a traditional piece of glass slid into a cabinet. The magazine uses sandwiched weather stripping to hold the glass.

#15960 1 year ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

A Full Throttle Andrew brought to RMPS had the glass broken in transit as well...so maybe nothing has changed but maybe should! Might need some specialized padding against it or something. Some foam under the glass that would at least keep all the glass out of the game if it does shatter.

Tempered glass does not usually break by forces against it. Perhaps the glass is too tight in the frame. (Or too loose?)

#15961 1 year ago

that would be the only logical answer if it is somehow getting jarred in the frame and catching an edge

#15962 1 year ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

that would be the only logical answer if it is somehow getting jarred in the frame and catching an edge

A contracting frame would not also cause breakage? Seems I've read that before somewhere. Any glass guys here?

#15963 1 year ago
Quoted from sed6:

Did it come from Cointaker?

Yes it did and everything is being taken care of as always.

#15964 1 year ago
Quoted from onedeath:

Did you vacuum it out yet?

#15965 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Did you vacuum it out yet?

Started to should have the playfield done and out tomorrow hopefully.

#15966 1 year ago

Just use that new garden hose, it will wash that glass right out

Sorry, that sucks to wait that long and get one broken.

#15967 1 year ago

Sucks that the glass broke. Luckily you can easily remove the whole playfield, that should make it easier.

#15968 1 year ago
Quoted from Axl:

Sucks that the glass broke. Luckily you can easily remove the whole playfield, that should make it easier.

Got most of the easy to reach stuff sucked up. Going to have a friend help shake the playfield upside down to get any strays out.

#15969 1 year ago

Glass guy here, been in the window business literally my entire life.

1 - Tempered glass has a very "sensitive" edge, but without seeing the magazine it is hard to see if there is a pinch point or something pointy that the edge of the glass could hit the edge shattering it. A screw point is enough, in fact a brad nail is large enough to shatter the glass if it hits the edge.
2 - Tempered glass can self shatter if there is a flaw in the glass when it is heat treated. Pretty rare but it does happen weeks or months after it is made.
3 - Thermal breaks can occur but unlikely in a pinball machine, not likely to get a rapid enough temperature change for that to happen.
4 - It could break from a hit to the middle of the panel but you need a pretty heavy strike. Unlikely during transport.

At a GUESS I would say point 1 or 2.

#15970 1 year ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

credit towards FullTh or any future kit

I sort of got the impression that they are salvaging alien and thats about it. Have they really committed to keeping heighway going ?

#15971 1 year ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I sort of got the impression that they are salvaging alien and thats about it. Have they really committed to keeping heighway going ?

I think they are going to continue the company, I'd be hesitant to buy alien otherwise with lack of support

#15972 1 year ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I sort of got the impression that they are salvaging alien and thats about it.

I've never had that impression. All the investors were previously invested in the company, obviously they had an interest in it and saw potential for it. Dave Sanders is spending his days doing something there, and it isn't attaching plastics in the factory for Alien.

Let's forgive them for NOT announcing the next game, and focusing on Alien. Do you really think it would be sound for them to trot out their next planned release?

#15973 1 year ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I don't think that's the case at all...they will struggle to make a profit vs their investment on Alien so I'm sure they are going to try and make a go of it. Otherwise, what would be the point?

#15974 1 year ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

1 - Tempered glass has a very "sensitive" edge, but without seeing the magazine it is hard to see if there is a pinch point or something pointy that the edge of the glass could hit the edge shattering it.

After looking at it again, I'm guessing the glass shifted on the rubber gasket and the edge hit a screw post. Glass lays on a gasket and is held against it with a bracket all the way around. If the bracket isn't tight enough or contracts or whatever, seems possible the glass could shift and the edge could hit any one of the screw posts. I couldn't get a good pic of it but they do also have a gasket between the glass edge and the screw posts but it doesn't look foolproof.

1glass 001 (resized).JPG

1glass 007 (resized).JPG

#15975 1 year ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Glass guy here, been in the window business literally my entire life.
1 - Tempered glass has a very "sensitive" edge, but without seeing the magazine it is hard to see if there is a pinch point or something pointy that the edge of the glass could hit the edge shattering it. A screw point is enough, in fact a brad nail is large enough to shatter the glass if it hits the edge.
2 - Tempered glass can self shatter if there is a flaw in the glass when it is heat treated. Pretty rare but it does happen weeks or months after it is made.
3 - Thermal breaks can occur but unlikely in a pinball machine, not likely to get a rapid enough temperature change for that to happen.
4 - It could break from a hit to the middle of the panel but you need a pretty heavy strike. Unlikely during transport.
At a GUESS I would say point 1 or 2.

Thanks for the info.

#15976 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

I've never had that impression. All the investors were previously invested in the company, obviously they had an interest in it and saw potential for it. Dave Sanders is spending his days doing something there, and it isn't attaching plastics in the factory for Alien.
Let's forgive them for NOT announcing the next game, and focusing on Alien. Do you really think it would be sound for them to trot out their next planned release?

Quoted from Wickerman2:

I don't think that's the case at all...they will struggle to make a profit vs their investment on Alien so I'm sure they are going to try and make a go of it. Otherwise, what would be the point?

I concur. Doesn't make much sense for them to just finish Alien and then bail. Doesn't mean they will be successful but I'm sure they are going to try. I'd say they off to a good start with everything they've done since taking over. They also appear to be very experienced businessmen so I'd expect they have a plan already in place on how to move forward. I also doubt we will be made aware of their plans. They come across to me as a group that would prefer to speak more with actions than with words.

If there is a game three my guess is we won't be privy to it until it's just a couple months from being ready to ship. (That would be my advice anyway).

#15977 1 year ago

#3 is Barry's design, right?

#15978 1 year ago

A few things to confirm.

Indeed they will be shipping to cointaker. I brought up the prepayment I made about already paying and they seemed agreeable about an arrangement for that.

If you have pdi/roman glass it won't ship out in this current container to CT as they wait for their roman glass shipment. After seeing the reports if glass DOA, trying to get a non roman switcheroo to speed up delivery.

#15979 1 year ago
Quoted from onedeath:

Super! And that confirms my earlier.post that Heighway isn't shipping machines to individuals. Everyone going forward is going to get theirs from CT. Did you pay extra for shipping from CT or did you order from them? Melissa said the next container of games is coming in Sept, so no new unboxings until then I guess.

#15981 1 year ago

Really pissed about the fiber optic lights, shot off an email to Melissa and Morgan about getting a refund from that, especially given that I paid for what was advertised as standard on a LE, contractual obligation that Heighway Pin broke. But in the meantime, I am preparing all my MODs for this game for when it arrives end of the month. Got an insane amount of ideas and "fixes" from a insane Alien/Aliens film fanatic junkie. I feel a lot was left to be desired from this game from a fans point of view and I am aiming to fix that. I have new backglass art being drawn as well, as I am not a fan of the "custom Queen" that was done. No animosity or bad waves implied or given towards Brien, he did what he did in 4 days! That is impressive in itself. But given Andrews crap he pulled on Brien and him only having 4 days, that didnt give him a lot of time to design anything, pretty much just draw what came to mind. I just dont like his interpretation of the queen with the spikes on her crown and other features that she never had. I feel that just the 1 queen and egg is basic in terms of characters and tone. This is supposed to be Alien and Aliens, but the backglass only shows a Queen from Aliens and a egg and nothing else. I feel it needs more immersion and more depth as well as a nod to what made both films great as well as what is included in the gameplay. I commissioned a piece to be made based on a design I sketched up. This is MOD #1 lol, of easily 20, with 1 being a "you have to see it to believe it" lol. I am quite proud of it. Ive made numerous complaints to Heighway pin about some "inconsistencies" in the game for "authenticity" purposes lol, regarding sounds and inaccurate and mislabeled items. A couple that really bother me (being a Gunsmith especially lol) are the guns they got wrong. They labeled and pictured Vasquez's S&W M39 as a H&K VP70 (which is what LT. Gorman carried) as well as pictured a Remington 870 as Hick's backup Ithaca 37 shotgun (Ithaca 37's are bottom only ejecting and feeding whereas the picture clearly shows a side port). I can kinda sorta shrug the 870 one away, but the VP70 has to be changed in someway, either changing the sound to say M39 (doubtful), or just changing the picture to an actual VP70 (more likely....but still doubtful lol). Lots of bad audio clips heard, I am sure these will be easily corrected later so not real worried. Same goes for a couple video clips. I look foward to posting all these MODs and a unboxing of an "actual" LE for everyone finally here soon. I might stream it (it will be my first stream so still debating).

#15982 1 year ago

So after you complete all the modes, do they loop back and restart? Even if you haven't completed all the multiballs?

#15983 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

So after you complete all the modes, do they loop back and restart? Even if you haven't completed all the multiballs?

That is correct.

#15984 1 year ago
Quoted from bcd:

That is correct.

Any value in doing more than one round of modes before going into all out war, point wise?

#15985 1 year ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

After looking at it again, I'm guessing the glass shifted on the rubber gasket and the edge hit a screw post. Glass lays on a gasket and is held against it with a bracket all the way around. If the bracket isn't tight enough or contracts or whatever, seems possible the glass could shift and the edge could hit any one of the screw posts. I couldn't get a good pic of it but they do also have a gasket between the glass edge and the screw posts but it doesn't look foolproof.

BINGO! Glass probably has slid into these screw posts, during shipping. A simple solution would be to place some double sided glazing tape to stop the glass moving around.

#15986 1 year ago

I am getting very excited to be spending 3 days in the presence of Alien pinball at the Buffalo Pinball Summer Open this weekend. A lot of tough players will be putting it to the ultimate test.

#15987 1 year ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I am getting very excited to be spending 3 days in the presence of Alien pinball at the Buffalo Pinball Summer Open this weekend. A lot of tough players will be putting it to the ultimate test.

I would love to hear some feedback from some solid unbiased players that put some real time on it.

#15988 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Any value in doing more than one round of modes before going into all out war, point wise?

Well, yeah, All Out War's value increases depending on how you did in each mode and multiball played... but I doubt it's worth intentionally avoiding AOW for that. And once it's actually qualified, you can't avoid it, most other features disable when AOW is lit.

On a related note, you can't screw yourself by "lapping" any AOW requirements, the code does keep track of everything if you're having an epic game. (Said with unwarranted confidence, after a bug in 0.98 that prevented AOW from starting at all... doh!)

#15989 1 year ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

Really pissed about the fiber optic lights, shot off an email to Melissa and Morgan about getting a refund from that, especially given that I paid for what was advertised as standard on a LE, contractual obligation that Heighway Pin broke. But in the meantime, I am preparing all my MODs for this game for when it arrives end of the month. Got an insane amount of ideas and "fixes" from a insane Alien/Aliens film fanatic junkie. I feel a lot was left to be desired from this game from a fans point of view and I am aiming to fix that. I have new backglass art being drawn as well, as I am not a fan of the "custom Queen" that was done. No animosity or bad waves implied or given towards Brien, he did what he did in 4 days! That is impressive in itself. But given Andrews crap he pulled on Brien and him only having 4 days, that didnt give him a lot of time to design anything, pretty much just draw what came to mind. I just dont like his interpretation of the queen with the spikes on her crown and other features that she never had. I feel that just the 1 queen and egg is basic in terms of characters and tone. This is supposed to be Alien and Aliens, but the backglass only shows a Queen from Aliens and a egg and nothing else. I feel it needs more immersion and more depth as well as a nod to what made both films great as well as what is included in the gameplay. I commissioned a piece to be made based on a design I sketched up. This is MOD #1 lol, of easily 20, with 1 being a "you have to see it to believe it" lol. I am quite proud of it. Ive made numerous complaints to Heighway pin about some "inconsistencies" in the game for "authenticity" purposes lol, regarding sounds and inaccurate and mislabeled items. A couple that really bother me (being a Gunsmith especially lol) are the guns they got wrong. They labeled and pictured Vasquez's S&W M39 as a H&K VP70 (which is what LT. Gorman carried) as well as pictured a Remington 870 as Hick's backup Ithaca 37 shotgun (Ithaca 37's are bottom only ejecting and feeding whereas the picture clearly shows a side port). I can kinda sorta shrug the 870 one away, but the VP70 has to be changed in someway, either changing the sound to say M39 (doubtful), or just changing the picture to an actual VP70 (more likely....but still doubtful lol). Lots of bad audio clips heard, I am sure these will be easily corrected later so not real worried. Same goes for a couple video clips. I look foward to posting all these MODs and a unboxing of an "actual" LE for everyone finally here soon. I might stream it (it will be my first stream so still debating).

Would love to check out your Alien some day!!

#15990 1 year ago

Following thread...

#15991 1 year ago

I think the games sounds is amazing based on what I've seen. If there wasn't so much drama I would buy one but not waiting on sidelines

#15992 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I think the games sounds is amazing based on what I've seen. If there wasn't so much drama I would buy one but not waiting on sidelines

Smart move.

I ordered an LE at Expo last October and hope it see it next month.
At this point there really is no reason to rush into an order.
You could wait until games are shipping and hopefully play one in the wild before you order (always the best idea if possible).

If one doesn't end up near you on location, at least there will be more reviews /videos out there to help you make an informed decision.

I was lucky enough to be able to play it at Expo, TPF, and now have a friend 20 min from my house with one. I absolutely love it and can't wait to get mine!

The sound package is on another level. daudioguy created an atmosphere that recreates the tension from the movies perfectly. It is by far the most imersive pin I have ever played.

#15993 1 year ago

I know for sure I want to buy based on the gameplay I've seen and that sound. Unbelievable. I'm just concerned about not getting one if I give them my money.

I also don't like buying new.

#15994 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

I know for sure I want to buy based on the gameplay I've seen and that sound. Unbelievable. I'm just concerned about not getting one if I give them my money.

I don't think you can order direct from Heighway anymore.

#15995 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I don't think you can order direct from Heighway anymore.

Correct, I believe Cointaker is the only distributor and they are awesome to deal with.

#15996 1 year ago

Oh ok. What is standard price again and is that the one they were playing in Buffalo Pinball stream?

#15997 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Oh ok. What is standard price again and is that the one they were playing in Buffalo Pinball stream?

Check cointaker or nitro's website

#15999 1 year ago

EDIT - no need to reach out.

#16000 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

thanks guys. can someone with a standard on order from the states PM me. I have a question and would like to know the answer. Really had no intent on buying one but now I'm getting the bug.

Make sure to manage your expectations if you order now.
Check with Cointaker to confirm but I know there are a lot of people with paid orders waiting for games, it may be a few months before you actually get one even if you pay in full today.
Just hate to see you to get frustrated if it can be avoided.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 320 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside