• 24,632 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,838 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 493.
#1551 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's an interesting point. I wonder what % of people buying the LE over a Standard would do so with plans to swap?

If (When...) I become Heighway pinball customer one day, I would be interested in a LE cabinet (the red one is gorgeous) with regular versions of at least two games.
In other words, I would only buy one cabinet and several games - space is an issue -, so I would like this cabinet to be as nice as possible. Makes sense?

#1552 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

If (When...) I become Heighway pinball customer one day, I would be interested in a LE cabinet (the red one is gorgeous) with regular versions of at least two games.
In other words, I would only buy one cabinet and several games - space is an issue -, so I would like this cabinet to be as nice as possible. Makes sense?

Sure, makes total sense.

I think priority one with the LE is that it look great. If that means doing something that matches the art I think that's the right approach. The LE is after all supposed to be a complete package. No reason to compromise it for future possibilities.

But I hear the arguments too. I'll keep them in mind when talking to Andrew about it, something to at least factor into the thinking.

#1553 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

White-woods sounds like a good idea but many people is underwhelmed when seeing a white-wood and that first impression stays with them, so I am not sure bringing white-woods to expo is such a good idea. It is also a lot of extra work, bringing a white-wood all the way from the uk.
A prototype with finished toys and art, sure but not a white-wood.

I agree! Don't show it naked. The layout looks awesome, but the theme sells it... There's always a "next big show" somewhere, it'd be foolish to rush and show an incomplete game in the final phase of development.

#1554 3 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I agree! Don't show it naked. The layout looks awesome, but the theme sells it... There's always a "next big show" somewhere, it'd be foolish to rush and show an incomplete game in the final phase of development.

+1

#1555 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think priority one with the LE is that it look great. If that means doing something that matches the art I think that's the right approach. The LE is after all supposed to be a complete package. No reason to compromise it for future possibilities.

Here's my thoughts on the LE vs Standard. This is a dream theme for me, so the likelihood of me swapping out the Alien playfield from an LE cabinet is really unlikely. The LE has green powder coating (with beacon lights) & that may not match with the new playfield I'd be swapping in. Bottom line....if you order an LE, you're most likely never going to swap it out.

You could get an standard with the stainless trim so you might have a more aesthetically pleasing playfield swap, but then you'd have to pay all the extra costs to add the ramp lighting, the beacons, etc to the standard, which may come close to costing just as much as the LE. Plus you won't get the alternate art for the backglass & cabinet, and I'm sure Aurich will come up with something really sweet for that. Again....probably better off just getting the LE.

Actually if black powder coating was an option for the LE, that might be a nicer option for those wanting to do a swap down the road. Something to consider maybe?

#1556 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Actually if black powder coating was an option for the LE, that might be a nicer option for those wanting to do a swap down the road. Something to consider maybe?

I really LIKE Alien, but it's not a theme I am infatuated with (no offense to those here that are). So, I fully plan on getting the game and swapping the playfield out with others. I only have a couple Sterns, but I got LE for each. For Alien, I would absolutely add the beacons and ramp lighting to a Standard. If the LE is priced competitively to the Standard plus LE additions, I would consider that. If it is considerably more, I would never buy it since I don't envision it as a full time stand alone. I'd be more likely to buy a second Heighway cabinet if I ended up with 4+ playfields as I would not want that many sitting unplayable with only a single cabinet to play them in.

#1557 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This is what Andrew said earlier in this thread:

That is only a few weeks away. If that has changed he should probably temper expectations then.

I'm in on an LE, #44.

I guess it was right after Expo and Andrew and crew was hoping to be in production by this past April.

I thought I read somewhere that was part of the reason Nordman and Heighway parted ways because Dennis felt the timeline was unrealistic.

Now we are hopefully two weeks away from the "global launch".

I've got to tell you, after Jpop, Woz delays I lived through, TH delays etc.

I have gotten myself into ZERO expectation mode on any timeline.

I don't think it matters who says it. Count on delays, that's the only given.

But I sure hope Andrew shocks me and actually delivers something in relative close proximity to the stated new timeline. D

#1558 3 years ago

Hey, I can't promise anything, I haven't spoken to Andrew about it, but I will say that I love seeing feedback like this, it's helpful to hear people's thoughts on owning the games, and plans for them, etc.

#1559 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Now we are hopefully two weeks away from the "global launch".

I would guess that means "flippable whitewood", but I'm not at all involved in the plans for the party, I won't be there. Not even an option for me to be, I'll be in New York for business with my day job then.

#1560 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I would guess that means "flippable whitewood", but I'm not at all involved in the plans for the party, I won't be there. Not even an option for me to be, I'll be in New York for business with my day job then.

What is a "flippable whitewood"? Been waiting for years for Jpop to produce one of those!

I'd bust a nut if we actually get to see one in a few weeks.

#1561 3 years ago

for me, the LE might as well not be swappable. Alien is an ultimate theme for me and will stay intact, as is, period (modding accordingly when it develops to that point). Other titles will be fair game, however, so I could see the black or stainless trim.

#1562 3 years ago

I'm almost postive that my Aliens LE will stay as a stand alone pin but I still would much rather have Black or Chrome. I would rather the standard edition armor than green.

#1563 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm almost postive that my Aliens LE will stay as a stand alone pin but I still would much rather have Black or Chrome. I would rather the standard edition armor than green.

I'll trade ya. I don't care about the LE crap anymore, but my favorite color is green and I really want the green armor.

#1564 3 years ago

If the playfield turns out to be a disappointment and doesn't make sense they could always re-theme it to "Prometheus"

#1565 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

If the playfield turns out to be a disappointment and doesn't make sense they could always re-theme it to "Prometheus"

You sir, have taken a dark turn... and its hilarious!

#1566 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've got to tell you, after Jpop, Woz delays I lived through, TH delays etc.

I have gotten myself into ZERO expectation mode on any timeline.

Pinball is a crazy business. It would be easy to say "Well, their second game will come together faster", but then you look at Hobbit.

And we're still waiting for Full Throttle to be delivered. I'm not knocking Heighway when I recount this, but it was August last year that the big Pinball News article hit, with the game supposed to be released 3 months later. I have a flyer from Expo that says "November/December", then there was the release party in January. And here we are in August, and no games delivered yet except for those ones that are now seen at shows.

I know "shit happens". I think the solution to all of this is to not announce games so early. Then no one can really complain about lack of seeing this or that. Build 'em and sell 'em, and don't say anything until they are being built.

#1567 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Welcome, welcome !!!(#212 here).....think the only risk here is the amount of time my other pins get once this thing shows up!!!

I got #125. 426 was taken. Huh.

#1568 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Welcome to the party!

#1569 3 years ago

Thank you Zamp.

I'm digging chrome trim. Alien teeth were chrome like! Green just isn't doin it for me, too Shrek-ish.

#1570 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I do not mean to be negative here but no chance in hell it will be finished in 2,5 weeks.
2,5 months, maybe. Even that timeline is doubtful. It is just the way of dealing with a big studio licensee.
Of course, I would love to be proven wrong.
Anyway, a couple of more months is peanuts compared to other announced machines and I have no problems with waiting a bit longer.
Since Full Throttle production has just barely started, they are still on track regarding the 4 months between games model

From what we've seen, it looks like this title will ship in 2016.

#1571 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Thank you Zamp.
I'm digging chrome trim. Alien teeth were chrome like! Green just isn't doin it for me, too Shrek-ish.

I like the green, but I think the chrome would look sharp!

#1572 3 years ago

Chrome trim, black gloss cab, Aurich artwork. Yep.

#1573 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Chrome trim, black gloss cab, Aurich artwork. Yep.

I would also be interested in a chrome trim option.

#1574 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Thank you Zamp.

Chrome would be sweet.

Welcome to the club brother Rick!

#1575 3 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Did you request #444 or was that what they gave you?

Odd request wasn't it. : )

4 and 44 were taken.

#1576 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeHogue:

I've never been more excited for a pinball machine! The new shot layout looks awesome!
If the art and code can match the shot map, then this game is going to be killer!
No pressure on Heighway!
LE #444

Welcome, as well!!!.....sorry I missed your post...444 is cool...

#1577 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I'm in on an LE, #44.

Welcome Ice!!!...looks like a lot of " 4's" popping up, # wise.....bring on this machine!!!...mark

#1578 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Ha...someone snagged that one early on...can't remember the name, but it's up in this thread, somewhere....

#1579 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Only cosmetics. As it should be.

I totally agree and I'm pumped to hear this.

Sick of feeling like I am missing out on gameplay just because I didn't fork out for an LE

Quoted from Aurich:

Just cosmetics. No deleted spinners, or removed drop targets or any nonsense like that.

Nonsense is exactly what that is. I'm liking what Heighway is doing more and more as times go by.

#1580 3 years ago

Certainly seems like a great deal to me that for roughly the price of a Stern Pro you get a game with all the gameplay features intended for it. In a widebody. With tons of new tech in the form of LCD display, sound, lighting, software, serviceability etc. And the idea that future releases can be had to swap into the cabinet for a fraction of the price makes it even more attractive to buy into the 'platform'.

Since I've been in this hobby I've never been tempted to buy a NIB Stern because the Premiums are expensive and if I'm spending that kind of money I don't want to settle for a Pro model that isn't the 'full game'. For the price I want to feel like I'm getting more for my money over 90s games than just a deeper ruleset and mint condition. To my eyes, Heighway's games have a ton of improvements over the long-held status quo and are a great price to boot.

The other thing I'd like to know is Heighway also intending to improve on the usual Stern muck-around with hugely incomplete game code at launch (and only really being complete 6-12 months later)?

#1581 3 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

The other thing I'd like to know is Heighway also intending to improve on the usual Stern muck-around with hugely incomplete game code at launch (and only really being complete 6-12 months later)?

I bet they improve on it. I'm not a stern basher though, I like my sterns and I've never owned one with incomplete code but I bet it sucks ( mind you ST DOES have bugs in the current rev)

#1582 3 years ago

For me it was a no-brainer.

When I bought Full Throttle and Alien playfield 8 months ago I got both of them together for the same price I would pay here in Norway for a Stern Premium. Prices have since then gone up further for new Stern machines and for the same price I paid 8 months ago (for the both of them) I would now only get a Stern Pro machine. The difference is not that big in the US, but I still think Heighway is a really good alternative, especially if you plan on buying future playfields from them

#1583 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Read this....

http://m15m.livejournal.com/23209.html

...and I guarantee you will never watch Prometheus the same way again!

"I second the leaving!!!"

Later,
EV

#1584 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Liked that movie.

#1585 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

f the playfield turns out to be a disappointment and doesn't make sense they could always re-theme it to "Prometheus"

Or Predator

#1586 3 years ago

Prometheus was OK. Just seems like it was over-developed into something not as interesting as it could have been.

#1587 3 years ago

#1588 3 years ago

Lot's of promises to live up to...

#1589 3 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

» YouTube video

I couldn't last more than a minute on that video. Just not funny.

#1590 3 years ago

No Nostromo?
No Egg?
No Facehugger?

Not much from Alien 1.

#1591 3 years ago
Quoted from jackSparrow:

No Nostromo?
No Egg?
No Facehugger?
Not much from Alien 1.

I think I heard there were translucent, lit eggs to be on top of the pop bumpers.
Sounded pretty cool to me.

#1592 3 years ago
Quoted from jackSparrow:

No Nostromo?
No Egg?
No Facehugger?
Not much from Alien 1.

Seems like the whole game may be the Nostromo. Plenty of other places for references than just toys: artwork, animations, modes. Worth noting that the only toys shown in the shot map are interactive ones, so there's not reason to assume that is all there will be in the way of models/toys on the game.

#1593 3 years ago

Agreed. Something has to go in that upper LT area.

#1594 3 years ago

This^^^^^

#1595 3 years ago

Alien will be plenty represented in the game, don't worry! This is just the shot map, more to the game than that.

#1596 3 years ago

How's that LE art coming?

#1597 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Chrome would be sweet.
Welcome to the club brother Rick!

Well, feeding the sickness again Ice-Baby!

In for another ride I guess. Damned cool themes!

#1598 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

How's that LE art coming?

I'm going out of town tomorrow, won't be back until after Andrew throws his party. Have family and business to take care of on East Coast. I might do some work from my laptop, but probably not a whole lot, we'll see. Looking forward to seeing where we're at when I get back.

#1599 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Prometheus was OK. Just seems like it was over-developed into something not as interesting as it could have been.

It was just "ok" in the grand scheme of it all, but iv'e still watched it like half a dozen times...next time any of yall watch it, tell me that the bridge ship control deal that Mr. Elba is behind the whole movie doesn't look like a treadmill...

#1600 3 years ago
Quoted from jackSparrow:

Not much from Alien 1

The yellow beacons where used in the self destuct scenes one the first movie. That's going to be a cool part of the game. Escape the Nestromo before it's explodes and without getting eaten, all the while you hear that omomious alarm and the computers voice counting down, while the beacons are active. Cool stuff there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside