pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 317 of 601.
#15801 6 years ago

so many positive things happening here recently ... amazin !!

#15802 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Impressive work you are doing!!! I'm an A/V systems integrator ( now) for a living, but a pure pro audio guy at heart. I've always been convinced there is enough volume on the inside of a pinball cabinet that, when coupled with the right LF driver ( even the 8" variety), low pass filter ( butterworth 12 around 160hz.), and correct amplification, you could create substantial bottom end. The "baffle" config wouldn't be a factor, as the wavelength would be far too long.
Ultimately ( for me) started feeling like work when I drew it up ( which is what I avoid when playing pinball), and realized a cheap, powered external sub would do the job, as my approach would be much more expensive. Hence, abandoned the idea.
I appreciate someone of your caliber caring about the audio in these machines....in truth, it's been one of the more neglected areas of the experience until some machines as of late ( just imho)...THANK YOU!!!!

I want to compliment you on your compliment! (Not being sarcastic).
It's great to hear positive stuff from anybody in pinball. Love this hobby.
Really excited about this machine. Cant wait to put it right next to Full Throttle.
I recommend people pick that machine up. It's a lot of fun.

#15803 6 years ago

Two more answers from Morgan...

Q: Is the matt black LE-trim coming with black or silver legs (as the green trims are coming with green legs)?
A: I think that the legs would be silver but I will have to confirm this for you.

Q: I guess, you are going to make some new pics, before the final trim-colour-decision has to be made, right?
A: We will indeed be publishing more images and videos on the machine so that customers can see exactly what they will get. These should be added to our facebook page and our YouTube channel in the coming weeks so you will be able to see them there.

Have a great day!

#15804 6 years ago

Since I paid in full for an Alien LE and Full Throttle LE, can I assume I will be at the front of the line (as originally promised), or are you going to ship deposit games first so you get a little more cash in the door?

#15805 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

it's been one of the more neglected areas of the experience until some machines as of late ( just imho)...

This is slightly off Alien topic but here goes. Yes, MK6PIN you are right. When I came back to pinball in 2006 I took the Stern sound system as a given and tried to do my best with what they had. Then for AC/DC and the LE version they put in a big speaker (10~12?) and then asked me why it didn't sound better. So I looked at the cabinet speakers and tried to help.

First for the normal speaker sound was trying to get through a metal grill and three slots cut in the bottom of the cabinet. Hardly acoustically transparent. So there is a tradeoff between security and sound. I got them to cut a hole (instead of slots) and find a metal grille with more and bigger holes so the sound had a chance of getting out. This was better.
Then we played with the cutoff frequency of the simple network for the cabinet speaker.
Eventually I did some radical mastering EQ to make the AC/DC songs sound as good as they could from the imperfect pinball audio system (you would not want to listen to this in headphones).

Since then out of self-defense I have not taken the audio systems of new clients as a given. I worked with JJP on the Hobbit and Dialed In to improve what they had relative to WOZ.

I've only recently had an Alien to work with. At face value the sound system is good and when I can bring it into my studio I will optimize the sounds for it.

Generally speaking coin-operated games (video games as well) have spent 10% of the BOM on the hardware that creates the sound and 1% on the amplification system. This is a battle I have always fought. Sometimes I win.

ddt

#15806 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Generally speaking coin-operated games (video games as well) have spent 10% of the BOM on the hardware that creates the sound and 1% on the amplification system. This is a battle I have always fought. Sometimes I win.
ddt

Thanks for replying, and nail on the head w your statement above. I doubt the speaker grille config would ever impede a true subwoofer driver ( provided the air could move to allow the excursion to allow the motor movement), but lack of the power and processing definitely would prohibit success.

These machines are expensive enough, so no sense beating your head against the wall. You're program and reinforcement efforts are appreciated, and noticed........I might some day build a proof of concept in one of these things.....

Ok..back on topic.....BRING ON THE ALIENS!!!

#15807 6 years ago

BRING ON THE ALIENS!!!

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Ok..back on topic.....BRING ON THE ALIENS!!!

Just got home from playing Aliens at a friends house, holy crap, I can't wait to get mine!

#15808 6 years ago

So are these games shipping yet?

#15809 6 years ago
Quoted from MattS:

BRING ON THE ALIENS!!!

Just got home from playing Aliens at a friends house, holy crap, I can't wait to get mine!

Man...super jealous...Morgan said LE's start production in September, and Mine will be here in plenty of time before Christmas!!!

#15810 6 years ago

Any official word on the Xeno head flashers? I haven't asked Heighway yet, but maybe someone else has.

#15811 6 years ago

A location near us got one of the new run of Alien games from Cointaker. I stopped by and streamed it for 2+ hours. The VOD is here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/164971616

Xenomorph head works and the game is super fun. Only real issue was the kickout from the shooter lane was a bit iffy.

#15812 6 years ago

Looks great.

#15813 6 years ago

Xeno Grab, at 1:00 hour mark,

Sweet Video! Thanks!

#15814 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sweet Video! Thanks!

Umm... There is one at 15 minutes also.

#15815 6 years ago

Jumped through vid...will watch more later.....really looks great!!!...lots to do, can't compare it to anything I've played to date, layout wise.....should be killer in the home so you can really dig into it.....can't wait!!!

I'm very glad I stuck it out ( and didn't change my avatar).....machine looks to be incredible!!!

#15816 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sweet Video! Thanks!

Game looks great! Let's hear some more reviews and start pumping them out! I want my Alien kit

#15817 6 years ago

I can not get the stream to play for me. Are all lights working well in the new version?

#15818 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I can not get the stream to play for me. Are all lights working well in the new version?

Appear to be.....

#15819 6 years ago

If there's interest I can put the video on YouTube as well. I know people have some issues with the replays on Twitch sometimes.

#15820 6 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

If there's interest I can put the video on YouTube as well. I know people have some issues with the replays on Twitch sometimes.

That would be cool, as well....BIG THANKS for doing this!!!...that thing looks like it's crazy fun to play!!!!

#15821 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Not sure if it's a fluke, but I can't get the stream to play in IE but I can in Chrome....?

#15822 6 years ago

A location near us got one of the new run of Alien games from Cointaker. I stopped by and streamed it for 2+ hours. The VOD is here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/164971616
Xenomorph head works and the game is super fun. Only real issue was the kickout from the shooter lane was a bit iffy.

Thank you for posting this awesome video.

Didn't watch it completely (as it is a bit short ), but first impressions are that sound (muthur rocks !) and video are implemented very good. It really adds to creating that unique spooky atmosphere. Also it looks that the geometry is 'a little off', just as with Full Throttle, so you really must get used to the way you have to time and shoot otherwise you will fail

I also think this video confirms that the fiber optics ramps are not needed in this game. They probably will spoil the dark atmosphere and the overall looks of the game.

Really looking forward to getting my Alien kit.

#15823 6 years ago

Vid is now on YouTube too. Enjoy!

#15824 6 years ago

thanks!

would love some photos of underside and GI lighting to see the changes.

#15825 6 years ago

game with current code is looking AMAZING! Really coming together!

#15826 6 years ago

Looks great, question though. In the Youtube stream around the 12 minute mark, after the first Ambush multiball kicks in, the radar on the screen stays empty. Will this repopulate? Or is there a shot that needs to be hit (jackpot or super) that needs to happen first?

#15827 6 years ago

Nice to see I'm not the only one who has trouble hitting the upper left "lock" ramp. I just can't find the target from that upper right flipper shot. Any idea at what pitch this machine was set?

#15828 6 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Nice to see I'm not the only one who has trouble hitting the upper left "lock" ramp. I just can't find the target from that upper right flipper shot. Any idea at what pitch this machine was set?

No idea on the pitch - it's a location game so it is how it is. I was able to hit it a number of times throughout the stream but it's so tough to set up that you don't get a lot of reliable shots at it. I think that's more of the challenge than the shot itself.

The little mini orbit off the upper right flipper is pretty nice to shoot though I must say.

#15829 6 years ago

over time I have dialed in that upper ramp shot and can set it up and hit it when needed (APC locks ready).

The game has different geometry, partially because it is a widebody and partially becuase Dave is a great designer and made it different. Once you find the shots they feel very good.

#15830 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

over time I have dialed in that upper ramp shot and can set it up and hit it when needed (APC locks ready).
The game has different geometry, partially because it is a widebody and partially becuase Dave is a great designer and made it different. Once you find the shots they feel very good.

The unique layout is one of the things I like most about it. That and the theme integration is really well done. I hope this game is a huge hit for Heighway.

#15831 6 years ago

So it sounds like it is likely they aren't going to continue to do the fiber optic ramps in the LEs anymore(e-mail this morning stating that from Heighway). I think obviously some kind of add-on/replacement is due to those of us in on the LE. I would be happy if Roman's glass was included as the replacement for no extra cost. Not sure they are thinking a replacement is necessarily warranted but I think most of us that paid extra for the LE would agree that something definitely is and we might need to push the envelope to get that message across. Maybe reduced/half cost additional back box screen? Thoughts or other ideas?

#15832 6 years ago

The LE should have been dropped all together, give the current LE's all available options and a refund for whatever's left. Really its only side art and a plaque, what else a goodie bag? The gameplay is exactly the same.

#15833 6 years ago

As much as I want to - I'm not going to watch the new stream/video. Instead, I'm going to wait 'till my new pats are delivered, then update and experience the new code for myself. ...I'd hate to spoil some surprises. From what I've read, there has been SUBSTANTIAL improvements since version 0.94.

...c'mon New Heighway!!

Hilton, you mentioned that Heighway gave you some type of 'timeline' regarding your new parts - any details you can share? All I'm getting is "we promise to take care of you - be patient".

#15834 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Hilton, you mentioned that Heighway gave you some type of 'timeline' regarding your new parts - any details you can share? All I'm getting is "we promise to take care of you - be patient".

nothing concrete to share currently, but I will be sure to update as soon as I have concrete info.

I will say that this newest stream showing what appears to be a 100% functioning game (in need of a shooter lane switch adjustment?) is very promising!

I am hopeful to have things resolved in the next 4 weeks.

#15835 6 years ago

I thought the play field looked a lot brighter/not as dark in this recent stream as games in the past but it looks like the brightness/contrast was just cranked. Either way lights looked good all working and the game sounded awesome too.

It seems like there is no way the optic LE lights will happen now (which is kinda worrisome that a final decision hasn't been made when the games should be made in a few weeks time) and seems very unlikely they would lower the LE price/offer a refund for this $600 feature that will now be missing. Not sure what the best move is here, but maybe people don't care about losing that money and just want their games.

I'm not sure this is the right thread but Andrew always talked about the next three or so games were in various stages of development, was that true or also lies? I'm sure the new investors are 100% focused on Alien as they should be, but it would be good to know there are future plans for the platform/modular system.

Man I wish one of those Cointaker games was on location by me!

#15836 6 years ago

Wow this game is really getting there, hoping the turnaround end up being a success story for both New-HP and their customers.

#15837 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

seems very unlikely they would lower the LE price/offer a refund for this $600 feature that will now be missing

It would probably be a good idea to do as someone mentioned...just offer Roman Glass as a replacement. Heighway would get the better end of the deal and maybe that would help.....

#15838 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I thought the play field looked a lot brighter/not as dark in this recent stream as games in the past but it looks like the brightness/contrast was just cranked. Either way lights looked good all working and the game sounded awesome too.
It seems like there is no way the optic LE lights will happen now (which is kinda worrisome that a final decision hasn't been made when the games should be made in a few weeks time) and seems very unlikely they would lower the LE price/offer a refund for this $600 feature that will now be missing. Not sure what the best move is here, but maybe people don't care about losing that money and just want their games.
I'm not sure this is the right thread but Andrew always talked about the next three or so games were in various stages of development, was that true or also lies? I'm sure the new investors are 100% focused on Alien as they should be, but it would be good to know there are future plans for the platform/modular system.
Man I wish one of those Cointaker games was on location by me!

I had a light on the playfield (as I do for all my streams, makes for better viewing overall) but in general the pin is pretty dark. If I were to buy one I'd definitely upgrade the GI LEDs or throw a few spotlights in to light up the middle of the game. Not a huge deal IMO.

Watch toward the end of the stream and you'll see where the battery died on my light so you can see what it looks like without it

#15839 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

The way I see it, the LE buyers sort of get the shaft here. Had you got in on an SE last year with all the LE options aside from the fiber optic lights, you would be at $7920 (assuming $300 shipping). Whereas with the LE, you would be at 8400 shipped. That's about $500 for powder coated armor, alt side art, and a number. Not much value at this point. Seems to me the LE buyers should have something added or price reduction for the expensive fiber optic drop. The day one LE buyers got in for cheaper, so that gap is a bit less.

#15840 6 years ago

Where's the value in stern LEs? Recovering the fiber light cost is something. I never really saw the value in any LE pin.

#15841 6 years ago

Spotlights of course would add some additional playfield lighting but it won't be possible to upgrade the LEDS (GI or controlled). They are underplayfield boards that shine the light through plastic lightpipes.
I don't see this as a negative as I quite like the lighting, but if you want it much brighter you have limited choices.

I had a light on the playfield (as I do for all my streams, makes for better viewing overall) but in general the pin is pretty dark. If I were to buy one I'd definitely upgrade the GI LEDs or throw a few spotlights in to light up the middle of the game. Not a huge deal IMO.
Watch toward the end of the stream and you'll see where the battery died on my light so you can see what it looks like without it

#15842 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

but if you want it much brighter you have limited choices

I just want a fully functioning game. Lights schmites. I can add a spotlight or 2 if need be. That's getting more common as companies move towards this type of system. As long as everything lights that's supposed to light I'm good.

#15843 6 years ago

KEV,

At approx. 11:40 mark of the youtube video , the head is hit ,but it triggers MUTHA MYSTERY also. Not sure if it happens again, just thought i would point it out as i was looking for the screen animation. Is this a switch issue on this game?

(EDIT: the 2nd trigger did work properly)Still watching so maybe later triggers of the AMBUSH will react differently.

Thanks for the stream.

Ed Z

#15844 6 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

So it sounds like it is likely they aren't going to continue to do the fiber optic ramps in the LEs anymore(e-mail this morning stating that from Heighway). I think obviously some kind of add-on/replacement is due to those of us in on the LE. I would be happy if Roman's glass was included as the replacement for no extra cost. Not sure they are thinking a replacement is necessarily warranted but I think most of us that paid extra for the LE would agree that something definitely is and we might need to push the envelope to get that message across. Maybe reduced/half cost additional back box screen? Thoughts or other ideas?

exactly the topic of my e-mail this morning w Morgan. I want the powdered armor, etc. I had suggested the backbox screen at a N/C feature on the LE's, possibly Roman's glass, as well......

#15845 6 years ago

I always figured I'd wait to see what the LE looked like once all the features were solidified. If I didn't think it was worth the extra money I could roll back to an SE.

Sounds like some of the LE features are still in flux. Perhaps Heighway could give pre-order buyers the option to keep their LE or go to an SE with select options at the original prices and refund the difference.

#15846 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

exactly the topic of my e-mail this morning w Morgan. I want the powdered armor, etc. I had suggested the backbox screen at a N/C feature on the LE's, possibly Roman's glass, as well......

Another issue is for the LE buyers that preordered from Cointaker, shipping and the large backbone lcd were included in the LE pre order price. It doesn't sound like Heighway even know what to do, who knows if Cointaker will offer any slight refund or discount.

#15847 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That would be nice it's clear the price does not work without something like that.

#15848 6 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

KEV,
At approx. 11:40 mark of the youtube video , the head is hit ,but it triggers MUTHA MYSTERY also. Not sure if it happens again, just thought i would point it out as i was looking for the screen animation. Is this a switch issue on this game?
(EDIT: the 2nd trigger did work properly)Still watching so maybe later triggers of the AMBUSH will react differently.
Thanks for the stream.
Ed Z

Hey Ed! Unfortunately I won't be able to answer too many of these kind of questions -- it's not my game and it was the first time I'd ever played Alien so I'm not sure exactly what's supposed to happen and when. I guess we can all figure it out together

#15849 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

The way I see it, the LE buyers sort of get the shaft here. Had you got in on an SE last year with all the LE options aside from the fiber optic lights, you would be at $7920 (assuming $300 shipping). Whereas with the LE, you would be at 8400 shipped. That's about $500 for powder coated armor, alt side art, and a number. Not much value at this point. Seems to me the LE buyers should have something added or price reduction for the expensive fiber optic drop. The day one LE buyers got in for cheaper, so that gap is a bit less.

I asked Morgan if there will be a discount if they lose the ramps and did not get a direct answer so I'm guessing not. As much as I like the art, I got the backbox screen so it is going to get hung on what little wall space I have left. Still being able to buy it for $40 online doesn't really make it as enticing as it used to be.

#15850 6 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

KEV,
At approx. 11:40 mark of the youtube video , the head is hit ,but it triggers MUTHA MYSTERY also.

Yeah that's definitely not supposed to happen. Mother should only be awarded at the left saucer. A brief switch pulse wouldn't be enough to trigger it either - the ball has to settle there for about half a second. It is suspicious that it happens exactly when the target is hit, but those two switches shouldn't interfere with each other at all - they are attached to two separate node boards.

We'll keep an eye for it, but I don't see how software is causing this. It would be nice to know exactly which software version was shipped on this game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 317 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/317?hl=o-from-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.