• 24,652 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by adamross
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,840 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24652 posts in this topic. You are on page 305 of 494.
#15201 2 years ago
Quoted from athena:

I'm surprised it's as low as 24.

I'm not. Remember, no matter what Andy was saying at the time, they were no where near the 100/month production numbers and even those 24 that were delivered could be considered 'sample' games, not built to final specification.

#15202 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You are "Off topic" but the theme sucks, sorry

I'm not crazy about the theme either. DI just plays better than Alien.

#15203 2 years ago

haha that's funny. I'd say go play some pinball but you don't seem to own any. So scrap that idea

#15204 2 years ago
Quoted from flippersandballs:

I'm not crazy about the theme either. DI just pays better than Alien.

I don't have an opinion since I've not played either. You may be right, but I would own one of them, Alien, and play the other on location

#15205 2 years ago

I'm not crazy about the theme either. DI just pays better than Alien.

Yeah but that could just mean its easier, not saying you aren't a good player I have no idea but I watched one guy play Alien and it was painful, made the game look clunky then a real player who could make shots made it look smooth as silk, Also some pins you can walk right up the layout is nice and smooth while others take some time, I won't know till I get my Alien (hopefully) but I've played a lot of Dialed In and the games have been pretty long, when I had STLE and TWDLE side by side the non pinheads preferred ST as it was smooth, big ramp openings and a nice easy center shot, that doesn't make it bad just different style, most couldn't handle TWD, thats a players game and I'm glad Aliens appears to be one as well.

#15206 2 years ago

athena Opinions are exactly that, and you have zero authority to tell me what to say or do.

You are absolutely correct, athena has no authority to tell you what to say or do.

I, on the other hand, have ABSOLUTE authority to do just that for you.

Here is your command for the day. Stop speaking ill of Aliens.

Here is your advice for the day. DI sucks.

#15207 2 years ago

The only point I'm making is. People are quick to slate a table that they've not played enough to make an informed opinion on.

We all like different tables. That's the joy of personal taste and unless you've put in hours on a table you don't really know how good or bad it is.

Regards TWDLE, yes true players game. I think Alien is in same bracket but again that's just an opinion from someone who has played both for many countless hours in home environment.

Right I'm off to play some pin. All this talk of alien has made me want to turn it on.

#15208 2 years ago

My Playfield shows the number 049. I doubt that there are a handful only out in the wild. 6 went to Italy a few months ago; stuff we don't ever read here on pinside as not every owner posts here. The number still is 2-digit I guess but way higher than 24.

#15209 2 years ago

Remember that about 10 playfields were ruined by an badly trained employee, but I am surprised that your playfield is numbered that high. When did you receive yours?

#15210 2 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

My Playfield shows the number 049. I doubt that there are a handful only out in the wild. 6 went to Italy a few months ago; stuff we don't ever read here on pinside as not every owner posts here. The number still is 2-digit I guess but way higher than 24.

where is pf number stamped? Ill check ours

#15211 2 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

You are absolutely correct, athena has no authority to tell you what to say or do.
I, on the other hand, have ABSOLUTE authority to do just that for you.
Here is your command for the day. Stop speaking ill of Aliens.
Here is your advice for the day. DI sucks.

Sinestro. I laughed out loud in the grocery store. Thanks for that.

#15212 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I won't know till I get my Alien (hopefully) but I've played a lot of Dialed In and the games have been pretty long,

Alien is pretty damn long too. Ball saver on left outlane, save gate on right, centre (sic) post.

Quoted from athena:

The only point I'm making is. People are quick to slate a table that they've not played enough to make an informed opinion on.

No shit; it's called Pinside.

#15213 2 years ago

Sinestro. I laughed out loud in the grocery store. Thanks for that.

I try!

#15214 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

where is pf number stamped? Ill check ours

It is not stamped, it's a sticker. You can find him at the very bottom of the Playfield at the right or
left. Just lift the PF 90 degrees and you see it. The number is not matching with the machine number btw which is logical for me as people were able to secure certain machine numbers.

My machine was produced in May 2017 and it was delivered roughly 5 weeks ago.

#15215 2 years ago

From facebook:
"Just over five years have passed since I started Heighway Pinball Limited in my home garage. Now, the company has grown to be a multinational business with customers spread throughout the globe.

The company has faced many challenges along the way, which has culminated in our first game, Full Throttle, and our current game, Alien Pinball. I always strived to create a modern and relevant quality pinball product, with many exciting new ideas. I believe that we have fulfilled many of the goals I set for this company.

I am extremely proud of the games that we have produced. In particular, Alien Pinball is the result of tireless work, over the last three years, from a team comprising of some of the most talented and passionate pinball people I could have ever have hoped to assemble. ‘Alien’ is personally my favourite movie of all time, closely followed by ‘Aliens’. I could not be happier with the finished product and how it represents both movies.

The time has come for a change at Heighway Pinball. Substantial monies are being pumped immediately into this company by our existing investors to drive this company forward to producing hundreds of games every month within the coming months. These investors have not been actively involved in the running of the business up to this point but they bring a huge amount of pinball experience to the operating of this company. They are also very successful businessmen in their own rights. Their passion for pinball, business acumen and love of the company’s products will drive this company forwards. There are a lot of expectant customers out there who want delivery of this epic game as quickly as possible – and this is a commitment this company will now strive to deliver as soon as is possible.

As of now, I have now left Heighway Pinball and am no longer involved in any way with the company. A new management structure is already in place at the company, that is committed to delivering games to all of its customers and building the company up into becoming an important market player within the coming years. The company is being left in good hands, with the investors bringing a wealth of pinball experience into this company and everyone is committed to delivering customer games as quickly as possible.

I have not left pinball permanently – but am taking a break away from it as fresh finances and ideas drive the company forwards. I will likely still be seen at pinball/trade shows and look forward to meeting many of you again in the future.
I will no longer be contactable at andrew@heighwaypinball.com and I will not be posting here, any other pinball forums, on Facebook or on Twitter as ‘Heighway Pinball’ from now onwards.

I have met some amazing people over the last five years and would like to thank all of my customers, staff, contractors, investors, distributers and suppliers - who have shared my dream and supported myself and this company over the years. I step away from Heighway Pinball at an exciting time for the company and wish all those associated with the company all of the best for the future.

Andrew Heighway
Former CEO/Managing Director – Heighway Pinball"

#15216 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

From facebook:
"Just over five years have passed since I started Heighway Pinball Limited in my home garage. Now, the company has grown to be a multinational business with customers spread throughout the globe.
The company has faced many challenges along the way, which has culminated in our first game, Full Throttle, and our current game, Alien Pinball. I always strived to create a modern and relevant quality pinball product, with many exciting new ideas. I believe that we have fulfilled many of the goals I set for this company.
I am extremely proud of the games that we have produced. In particular, Alien Pinball is the result of tireless work, over the last three years, from a team comprising of some of the most talented and passionate pinball people I could have ever have hoped to assemble. ‘Alien’ is personally my favourite movie of all time, closely followed by ‘Aliens’. I could not be happier with the finished product and how it represents both movies.
The time has come for a change at Heighway Pinball. Substantial monies are being pumped immediately into this company by our existing investors to drive this company forward to producing hundreds of games every month within the coming months. These investors have not been actively involved in the running of the business up to this point but they bring a huge amount of pinball experience to the operating of this company. They are also very successful businessmen in their own rights. Their passion for pinball, business acumen and love of the company’s products will drive this company forwards. There are a lot of expectant customers out there who want delivery of this epic game as quickly as possible – and this is a commitment this company will now strive to deliver as soon as is possible.
As of now, I have now left Heighway Pinball and am no longer involved in any way with the company. A new management structure is already in place at the company, that is committed to delivering games to all of its customers and building the company up into becoming an important market player within the coming years. The company is being left in good hands, with the investors bringing a wealth of pinball experience into this company and everyone is committed to delivering customer games as quickly as possible.
I have not left pinball permanently – but am taking a break away from it as fresh finances and ideas drive the company forwards. I will likely still be seen at pinball/trade shows and look forward to meeting many of you again in the future.
I will no longer be contactable at andrew@heighwaypinball.com and I will not be posting here, any other pinball forums, on Facebook or on Twitter as ‘Heighway Pinball’ from now onwards.
I have met some amazing people over the last five years and would like to thank all of my customers, staff, contractors, investors, distributers and suppliers - who have shared my dream and supported myself and this company over the years. I step away from Heighway Pinball at an exciting time for the company and wish all those associated with the company all of the best for the future.
Andrew Heighway
Former CEO/Managing Director – Heighway Pinball"

Lol i was just posting this also..... looks like andrew has stepped away from the company.....

#15217 2 years ago

Does this mean, "The investor's " will get this ball rolling and make weekly updates finally?

#15218 2 years ago

The most current company info is available online from the UK government. Follow the link:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08087382

#15219 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was just pointing out that some people did in fact benefit. Prime example is the guy that sold his MG slot for 23k on the post expo hype. It is like playing the lotto. IN that case, 1 person paid in 16k and sold just the position before the game even delivered and profited a bunch of money.

He sounds like the smartest man on Pinside. I'll bet he's handsome too. LOL.

#15220 2 years ago
Quoted from NightMutilator:

Super sad that I had to cancel out of the pre-order via paypal methods due to the lack of communication. I think this will be my last time of pre-ordering pinball games for the foreseeable future. Bummer.

Here is what needs to happen.
1- The investor group needs to refund everyone who has a deposit regardless if asked for or not. If this group is so successful in business, that should not be a problem
2- Get the game finished! Pay off bad debts and clear up any outstanding suppliers.
3- Get the production line rolling, for real this time,
4- Re-release the game! This will create new enthusiasm for the game
5- Start selling the game for a profit and keep the momentum going.

I think everyone is just disgusted with the whole game and company at the neverending excuses this point.

It is a fact that most companies fail within the first few years. The reason is they dont have the resources to operate at a loss for the first few years. Deposits and funds for current sales are used to pay old debts and interest, no money to pay current costs. The company will eventually reach a point when there is too much debt and its suppliers cut them off. Without materials and employees, the company is dead, regarless of their love for the industry. The point of this is, do not use deposits to pay bad debts. Figure out a way to pay a portion of debts from the actual sale and profit of each machine. It will take a while, but the company will eventually be debt free and start making money.

#15221 2 years ago

on another note i watched alien 3 and resurrection last night. both horrendous. hey alien 3? road warrior called...he wants his cast back. hey alien resurrection? your cast that includes nick from cheers and the super duper humanized alien puppy dog thing...wtf were you thinking?

#15222 2 years ago

People would be blowing Alien 3 if Fincher put it out now; underrated for me.
Resurrection there is just nothing redeeming in anyway.

#15223 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

People would be blowing Alien 3 if Fincher put it out now; underrated for me.
Resurrection there is just nothing redeeming in anyway.

yep i give the edge to 3. the cgi was bad though. i understand it was 25 years ago

1. alien
2. prometheus
3. aliens
4. alien 3
5. resurrection

havent seen the new one

#15224 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

People would be blowing Alien 3 if Fincher put it out now

I think at that point in time Fincher had directed a couple of music videos and not much else, the story I heard was that development was extremely rocky (wooden monks fighting aliens) and the executives plumped for someone they could boss around (Fincher). You can't really blame him for what got made, I really do think he tried the best he could. There is another cut of the film, made without Finchers involvement which fixes a few of the issues, but it's still a bit wonky:
http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_3_Assembly_Cut

EDIT:

Which reminds me, there was a purported screenplay written by William Gibson of Neuromancer fame. This is much more in the vein of Aliens, with lots of gung ho action. Shame they didn't go with it but I guess it was deemed too expensive to shoot:
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/files/scripts/alien-3-william-gibson-1988-01.pdf

#15225 2 years ago

Alien 3 is a heaping pile of crap. A terrible movie and worse sequel. Director David Fincher himself has since disowned the film and was the only director from the franchise who declined to participate in the box-set releases.

#15226 2 years ago

Umm..no....playing and enjoying a machine is the total package, including theme, music, etc. I've played both ....DI does not " play better" than Alien...not even close...

#15227 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Umm..no....playing and enjoying a machine is the total package, including theme, music, etc. I've played both ....DI does not " play better" than Alien...not even close...

Alien isn't in the same league as Dialed In - not even close.

#15228 2 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Maybe not .. but I much preferred playing Alien.

rd

#15229 2 years ago

Maybe I missed it, but are you all ignoring the fact that a mans dream has been shattered. It seems like we are just going to business as usual. Discussing Alien, Aliens, blah blah blah.
I know Andrew did not all things right, but it was a man with a pinball dream and that is now gone.
Best of luck to Andrew and his family. Hope he will return to pinball in another role someday. And he is still the guy that brought you Alien pinball.

#15230 2 years ago

His dream lives on, he's just not running it anymore.

#15231 1 year ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Of this you are 100% correct...thankfully....

#15232 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Maybe not .. but I much preferred playing Alien.
rd

+ 1billion....ditto

#15233 1 year ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Maybe I missed it, but are you all ignoring the fact that a mans dream has been shattered. It seems like we are just going to business as usual. Discussing Alien, Aliens, blah blah blah.
I know Andrew did not all things right, but it was a man with a pinball dream and that is now gone.
Best of luck to Andrew and his family. Hope he will return to pinball in another role someday. And he is still the guy that brought you Alien pinball.

Andrew developed a great pin, but ran his company into the ground and almost buried the game forever. Fortunately, he found buyers hiding as minor investors and was wise enough to transfer ownership. Hope the new investors can refund everyone's money shortly and that they can prepare for production over the next few months. I am strongly interested in one when they are readily available.

Watched both Alien and Aliens again today. Both were engaging but Paxton in Aliens complains more than all the marines I've ever seen on screen - combined. Think I read he was hired late and missed the one week marine boot camp. Fortunately, he has most of the best dialog and much of it is in the game.

#15234 1 year ago

DI just plays better than Alien.

I hesitate to dive in on this one but I have a personal perspective. Right now I have both at my studio. I've had DI since Nov 2016. I've only had Alien for seven days (thanks to Tommy of Nitro). It was one of the failures of previous management that pins didn't get into all the US dev's hands sooner. This is getting better.

DI shoots great, you don't need my perspective on that.
I first shot Alien at Expo last October. I'd been working on it for ten months and I was a bit anxious. By my second game I was shooting combo (using all four flippers). I was relieved.

DI shoots smooth naturally, it does what you expect.
Alien is a little eccentric and it takes a few games to learn where the shots are. But they are there. And there are so many of them. Multiple targets are possible from multiple flippers.

The Alien pin that I have is fully functional (it took a little tweaking). The Xeno mech works. The egg bumpers have great action (thanks to some professional adjustment from Tim M.). The EL blades, the lights, the switches are all working. All the modes work with AV assets except the final final mode. With games getting into dev hands we are providing feedback to Wales production and QA.

I can't imagine two projects more different than each other in every way. Comparing them will be a polarizing activity.
I am thrilled to be associated with both of them and in very different ways I have done my best work for each.

As far as Alien goes I will not predict any outcomes that are out of my hands and I will only speak to what I am directly experiencing.

I would just say that "DI just plays different than Alien". After that it is a matter of taste.

ddt

#15235 1 year ago

At the NW Pinball Show. In David's studio....no one can hear you scream!

TommyFloyd&DavidThiel (resized).JPG

#15236 1 year ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

I hesitate to dive in on this one but I have a personal perspective. Right now I have both at my studio. I've had DI since Nov 2016. I've only had Alien for seven days (thanks to Tommy of Nitro). It was one of the failures of previous management that pins didn't get into all the US dev's hands sooner. This is getting better.
I first shot Alien at Expo last October. I'd been working on it for ten months and I was a bit anxious. By my second game I was shooting combo (using all four flippers). I was relieved.
Alien is a little eccentric and it takes a few games to learn where the shots are. But they are there. And there are so many of them. Multiple targets are possible from multiple flippers.
The Alien pin that I have is fully functional (it took a little tweaking). The Xeno mech works. The egg bumpers have great action (thanks to some professional adjustment from Tim M.). The EL blades, the lights, the switches are all working. All the modes work with AV assets except the final final mode. With games getting into dev hands we are providing feedback to Wales production and QA.
I can't imagine two projects more different than each other in every way. Comparing them will be a polarizing activity.
I am thrilled to be associated with both of them and in very different ways I have done my best work for each.
As far as Alien goes I will not predict any outcomes that are out of my hands and I will only speak to what I am directly experiencing.
I would just say that "DI just plays different than Alien". After that it is a matter of taste.
ddt

Fascinating as always to get your expert insider's perspective.

I just wanted say thanks for all your contributions to pinball sound/music. I'm a big fan of dynamic audio where the pitch, speed, etc. changes in reaction to what's happening in the game and you're a real innovator in this aspect of pinball sound. Playing my Medusa this morning makes me wish someone would make a game with pumping early 80's algorithmic sounds again. Seems like so much could be done with today's knowledge. See this amazing demo written for the C-64 recently: https://linusakesson.net/scene/a-mind-is-born/index.php.

Maybe some edm or other electronic background music with these types of game sounds? I guess TnA might come close?

Anyway, sorry to get so far off topic. I've played a fair number of games on Alien and a couple on DI. DI shoots easy and is tailored for newbie/low challenge players. Looong ball times, childish theme elements, and trendy gimicks. It should do really well on location with casual players, which is a great thing. Call-outs seem kind of annoying, reminds me of the god-awful ones in Whirwind. Also probably too expensive for a location game.

Alien has one of the most immersive theme integrations in pinball, a large variety of mostly challenging shots that reward precision. You won't get far flailing on it. I love the way some aspects of it seem counterintuitive to most contemporary games, upper loop routed behind the upper right flipper, center post, penalizing hitting 'bad' targets in some modes. This is a players game IMHO and would last a lot longer in my collection than a DI.

As they say, different strokes for different folks.

#15237 1 year ago
Quoted from Fytr:

This is a players game IMHO and would last a lot longer in my collection than a DI.
As they say, different strokes for different folks.

but if you do get one and ever decide to sell.... I know a guy!!

#15238 1 year ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

ddt

Thank you very much for your assessment, having both games " tweaked" at your disposal. I played DI for about 3-4 games total over expo, and for me, there is no comparison to Alien. Wouldn't matter how the "flow" is, I'll never own one ( strictly personal taste). Alien brings a completely different level of immersion in a theme that I'd consider a grail ( for me). This not " just another pinball machine", and some of the innovation being used is amazing.

As stated previously, I hope DI owners enjoy their games, but Alien is absolutely in a different class, a much better one, that I'm hoping to own. EVERYTHING that has been presented to me directly by the new ownership indicates these will be coming. I will patiently wait.....

#15239 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

This not " just another pinball machine", and some of the innovation being used is amazing.
As stated previously, I hope DI owners enjoy their games, but Alien is absolutely in a different class, a much better one, that I'm hoping to own. EVERYTHING that has been presented to me directly by the new ownership indicates these will be coming. I will patiently wait.....

I agree and well said sir.

#15240 1 year ago

I'm a very serious collector with almost all the top pins. I've owned 2 JJP games. I got rid of my 75th annineversary Woz and bought Hobbit. I never could get into Woz, although newbies seemed to like it. I also had many quality/reliability issues with Woz including lights going out and the witch voice dropping out -apparently due to an audio filter problem. I've tried to enjoy Hobbit. It is very well done, but it is just too slow and boring. After the novelty wears off, you realize how bad it really is as a pin.
I have put many plays on Alien and Dialed In. The Alien code is not yet complete, but it is much faster and more fun than any JJP game. The call outs and visuals are outstanding. Dialed In, IMO, is a horrible theme with only slightly better game flow. Alien, on the other hand, could be the 2017 (or 2018) game of the year and join the classics hall of fame on par with pins like Scrared Stiff, Indiana Jones, Medieval Madness and Monster Bash. I predict several years from now, it will be solidly in the top 10. Too bad Andrew didn't have the resources to bring his creation to fruition. Sometimes creative/visionary types aren't the best business (operations and execution) people.

#15241 1 year ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

I'm a very serious collector with almost all the top pins.

O lord

#15242 1 year ago

Or you could do what I did.... plan on getting both. Both games are totally different and will be great additions to my collection.

#15243 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

Or you could do what I did.... plan on getting both. Both games are totally different and will be great additions to my collection.

Ditto. We're very serious collectors.

#15244 1 year ago
Quoted from Davidus56:

I'm a very serious collector with almost all the top pins.

#15245 1 year ago

Hey guys, I'm just curious... What makes a serious collector? I wouldn't consider myself a serious collector, especially since I only have one game but would like to better understand.

Is it the number of games he/she owns? Does it mean they see themselves as the Gordo Gecko of the pinball universe? Or something else, like being able to differentiate a collector quality vs routed pin, just from reading a Craiglist ad?

#15246 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Hey guys, I'm just curious... What makes a serious collector?

Listen I buy a lot of pins but nothing lasts very long, do I consider myself a serious collector, No. I won 't drive much farther than a hour away for any pin, I won't order from the states and deal with all that just to obtain a game I want, I will however pay more than its worth because I want to play a pin I've never played and do not want to wait possibly another year or 2 for it to come up again, I will take a loss on the sale of a pin because I want it gone and need to make room for something new, so what does that mean, I'm a serious player? No. I don't go to barcades and I don't play in any leagues I like to play at home and I'm fine playing by myself (and with myself) if things get serious with pinball for me then I won't play or buy pinball machines any more. Oh Yeah

#15247 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Hey guys, I'm just curious... What makes a serious collector?

To almost anyone not on Pinside, most of the people here could be considered "serious collectors" compared to the general public.

To anyone on Pinside, someone qualifying their statement by calling themselves a "serious collector" does nothing but make them sound douchey.

#15248 1 year ago

Seriously off topic.

#15249 1 year ago

I spent several hours playing Alien in a private collection. Whilst I loved the whole look and sounds of the game and I am a fan of the theme, I just couldn't help feel it isn't the game for me.

Hard to put my finger on but I'm just not sure how much *fun* it actually is. I was also surprised how 'clunky clonky' it was ...noise of the mechs etc ... I dunno, regardless what has happened I was very glad I hadn't put money down before playing. I have no doubt its a decent game, but just not the game for me.

#15250 1 year ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

ddt

You, sir, are a Class Act!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24652 posts in this topic. You are on page 305 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside