• 24,687 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Durzel
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 303 of 494.
#15101 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

So who has a line on one of those crazy-big Xenomorph toppers like the Freddy everyone uses with their Nightmare on Elm Street pins? I figured some prop or Halloween supply place would have made one for Alien, but all I'm seeing are the full-scale models that cost $7k+ on ebay.

Some of the Bradford exchange stuff is not all that big , but might be cool for toppers. i have been loking at some of those as possible playfield enhancers.

#15102 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

This post always stayed with me. Now that we've turned a page, was this for real, or what more could be said about it?

I know some people could not care less about no Ripley but this is why I cancelled, pretty glad I did now...

#15103 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I know some people could not care less about no Ripley but this is why I cancelled, pretty glad I did now...

What would she add to the game? Have you played it yet? The only quote I can recall off-hand is "get away from her, you bitch". Maybe add a clip of her sending an alien into space (when would such a clip even be used?), but for being the main protagonist she really doesn't have many iconic quotes--or even scenes--from either movie. I remember more of the secondary characters and their scenes than any of hers.

#15104 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

So who has a line on one of those crazy-big Xenomorph toppers like the Freddy everyone uses with their Nightmare on Elm Street pins? I figured some prop or Halloween supply place would have made one for Alien, but all I'm seeing are the full-scale models that cost $7k+ on ebay.

Someday I'll open this, when the time is right.

20170610_120447 (resized).jpg

CoolProps-Warrior-Alien-Replica-Bust-008 (resized).jpg

CoolProps-Warrior-Alien-Replica-Bust-003 (resized).jpg

#15105 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Some of the Bradford exchange stuff is not all that big , but might be cool for toppers. i have been loking at some of those as possible playfield enhancers.

That's some cool stuff. How about this--I was thinking of an idea for all of those exposed lock nuts on the Weyland/Yutani ramps. A few of those could almost be covered with really small diodes that flash orange to simulate the beacons. I found some on a model train site that can be powered by 12 volts or even a 9 volt battery. I couldn't think of any way to make them appear to rotate, so a really slow flash would have to do.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/ledlights1.html

Not sure if any pinball shops would have something similar. I was thinking of individual LED's like those pictured next to a penny on that site. LED strips wouldn't work for this idea. Since it could be powered off a separate 9 volt battery, that would take away any interference from wiring stuff into the game.

#15106 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Someday I'll open this, when the time is right.

$1,200?! Neat, but not for me.

#15107 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

$1,200?! Neat, but not for me.

I wish! I got the blue edition ha.

#15108 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

What would she add to the game? Have you played it yet? The only quote I can recall off-hand is "get away from her, you bitch". Maybe add a clip of her sending an alien into space (when would such a clip even be used?), but for being the main protagonist she really doesn't have many iconic quotes--or even scenes--from either movie. I remember more of the secondary characters and their scenes than any of hers.

Doesn't really matter now mate, just glad I got out when I did.

#15109 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Play it some time and tell me how empty you feel with it not having Ripley featured.

#15110 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Play it some time and tell me how empty you feel with it not having Ripley featured.

If I ever come across it of course I'll play it and I'm sure I'll love it without her. I really like the way they have implemented Muther in the call-outs, that's genius.

The movies, to me at least, are all about Ripley's story and the Aliens are just a backdrop - albeit an amazingly crafted backdrop. All the films post Ripley have been poor and just don't have the same gravitas.

#15111 2 years ago

The debate about whether Ripley should be in the game is long over, I'm just curious about what the actual story was about what happened internally.

#15112 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The debate about whether Ripley should be in the game is long over, I'm just curious about what the actual story was about what happened internally.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there was no money in the budget to pay her.

#15113 2 years ago

Captain obvious over here..but wasn't she in Ghostbusters?? And isn't Ghostbusters a licenced pinball game made by stern? So wouldn't stern have her signed to a deal where she can't appear in another companies game?

#15114 2 years ago

There's no way in hell that Stern managed to get exclusivity rights to Sigourney Weavers image for use in pinball. Her Ghostbuster character, maybe.

#15115 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Captain obvious over here..but wasn't she in Ghostbusters?? And isn't Ghostbusters a licenced pinball game made by stern? So wouldn't stern have her signed to a deal where she can't appear in another companies game?

I've heard this theory before, I don't think it holds any water. Would Stern do something like that? Sure, pinball is that kind of business, it's always been that kind of business, I wouldn't put anything past any pinball company. Or at least the Chicago ones, the stories of sabotage and that kind of blocking go back decades. But I just don't buy it.

I have no real insider info to share on the matter, I wasn't involved in any negotiations or anything, but if you want my personal theory it's that her agent saw the money and the offer as being not worth her time, and played gatekeeper, rejected the proposal, and she never even heard about it. If anyone sees her at a cast signing see if you can ask her, I'd love to know. It's not like any of us could just call her cellphone and say "hey be in our game", the request had to go to Fox, to her agent, blah blah. Channels.

The "we'll pay you with a tour of the factory" bit isn't true, as far as what I was told. There was money and a game on the table, but for a star of her caliber it was small potatoes I'm sure. I'd like to think she would have been happy to see Ripley in the game and just didn't know, but who knows.

As far as the game development goes the only time it really mattered to us was not getting the "get away from her you bitch" line, and having to do a little creative editing with the loader battle scene to make sure we were following the rules. Tons of great callouts, losing one just can't be a big deal, and the editing worked out fine. If we'd had her then of course we would have combed through all the scenes and callouts for more uses, why not, but that's the only thing I can remember actually wanting.

So from my perspective when it comes to all the issues we had to face, this one just doesn't rate up high on the list when it comes to impacting the game in a negative way. It's the polar opposite of say TWD as far as representing the cast and films, all the scenes and stuff we wanted are in there otherwise.

#15116 2 years ago

...and the cost for that one line wasn't worth it. There you have it.

#15117 2 years ago

Actually most people couldn't care less that Ripley isn't in the game because the player is basically Ripley. All the stuff that happened to her is happening to you and you are seeing it in first person. So one could argue that the narrative was changed in order to cover the missing of Ripley or one could enjoy the game as coded and each time you have a new adventure

Quoted from thewool:

#15118 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Actually most people couldn't care less that Ripley isn't in the game because the player is basically Ripley. All the stuff that happened to her is happening to you and you are seeing it in first person. So one could argue that the narrative was changed in order to cover the missing of Ripley or one could enjoy the game as coded and each time you have a new adventure

Like I say this was just a personal issue for me and I know I'm in the minority. But the irony is it lead to me getting out which is the point I was trying to make, and not to dredge up the whole 'Ripley needs to be in the game issue'.

#15119 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Like I say this was just a personal issue for me and I know I'm in the minority. But the irony is it lead to me getting out which is the point I was trying to make, and not to dredge up the whole 'Ripley needs to be in the game issue'.

If you got out because Ripley wasn't represented in the pin then its for the best unless ur a strong independent woman who felt empowered by Ripley as the the star of these films then why would you care? just curious.

#15120 2 years ago

I need to take a break from Pinside arguing, time to let the investors do their job, gonna drain this thread to keep myself from reading and posting in it, because I know I'll be weak otherwise. Don't take this as any kind of bad sign, investors are saying all the right things, hope it all works out, I just need to take care of my own mental health.

My hope is that some time in the near future games are shipping, people are playing and enjoying, and then I'd be happy to listen to suggestions for things like the airlock screen animations or anything I can help with to improve the game. But until then I'm gonna stay out of it and let the money guys and team in Wales do their thing.

If you want a refund I hope you get it, keeping my fingers crossed for good news.

#15121 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

So why are you here?

#15122 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

...time to let the investors do their job...

Yep.

#15123 2 years ago

Played it last night, was missing the alien mechanism. I liked the art, lights and LCD screens but it did play a little clunky. For 7K I would pass.

#15124 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

So why are you here?

I would still like to see this great game get out.

#15125 2 years ago

Finally completed a mode, "Acid Burn". The bonuses for completing it were better than a lot of the scores I've put up so far. I'm still looking at the main screen more than the playfield screen.

#15126 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

hudson quotes were total classic.

#15127 2 years ago

The alien franchise is so awesome.
Sorry to derail with this, a great piece to add to your collection.

image (resized).jpeg

#15128 2 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

hudson quotes were total classic.

Probably been said before, but his "Game over man" quote is in the sound test, but I haven't heard it in game. I think I saw the sound guy say it was going to be put in for a future update.

#15129 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

Sorry to derail with this, a great piece to add to your collection.

That prop was in LA at The Egyptian Theatre. I have pictures of me sitting in its lap! The next day it caught fire and burned.....

#15130 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

That prop was in LA at The Egyptian Theatre. I have pictures of me sitting in its lap! The next day it caught fire and burned.....

Yep, all that was left was a smoldering cigar

#15131 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Damn your cigar habit!

#15132 2 years ago

Now I think I'm far more excited for the future of JJP than HP, and that makes me sad cause I love Alien. Learned some things at Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown after a few interviews, and I'm now a big supporter of them over almost every other pinbalin' manufacturer.

#15133 2 years ago
Quoted from NightMutilator:

Now I think I'm far more excited for the future of JJP than HP, and that makes me sad cause I love Alien. Learned some things at Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown after a few interviews, and I'm now a big supporter of them over almost every other pinbalin' manufacturer.

JJP just hasn't made a compelling game for me yet. I realize WOZ was a big hit but it was just never my style of gameplay. Hobbit I kind of liked but thought it was too easy and wouldn't last for me. DI does less for me than WOZ. Theme is very important to me which is why I'm still jazzed about Alien.

#15134 2 years ago

wow, this thread is dead.

#15135 2 years ago

Got to play one at NW show (Big Thanks to Nitro).

Didn't get to hear any audio which was disappointing but I just imagined David doing the callouts as Petey.

Game play was pretty good, lots of shots.
Alien tongue worked but would sometime get stuck.

I didn't care for the screen on the pf, but enjoyed the graphics on the big screen in the monitor much more.

Alittle bit more time in the oven and this could be a really neat game. My operator friend and I comment on how this game would print money on location.

#15136 2 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Got to play one at NW show (Big Thanks to Nitro).
Didn't get to hear any audio which was disappointing but I just imagined David doing the callouts as Petey.
Game play was pretty good, lots of shots.
Alien tongue worked but would sometime get stuck.
I didn't care for the screen on the pf, but enjoyed the graphics on the big screen in the monitor much more.
Alittle bit more time in the oven and this could be a really neat game. My operator friend and I comment on how this game would print money on location.

I echo your review almost completely. I got to play the game Saturday morning before show open and the sound was great. The ball launch rattled pretty loud, but that should be a minor refinement to coil strength. I am also not a fan of the playfield displays, but Kelly's display content looked great in the backbox.

It could earn some decent coin on location as I found it hard to hit some of the shots. I am sure that with more time I could improve. So you could say it could earn decently while people pay for an education.

I didn't get any stuck balls like I did in Chicago last fall. It certainly felt more refined since then.

The current state of the company did hang on people's minds at the show. I think it did encourage those who may have been indifferent to the theme to go and give it a try while it was here.

I hope the revised Heighway Pinball can get Alien shipping. I know a lot of people worked really hard to make this game all that it is.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#15137 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

wow, this thread is dead.

Could a gif of Michael Ironside's head exploding bring it back to life?

#15138 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm glad you got your money back!
That being said Heighway cannot currently respond to requests. There is no "current management". Andrew is gone and the new investors have not signed the legal documents yet. It's in "limbo" until they legally take over.

Looking at the company Heighway Pinball Limited; Janson, Mats Daniel & Spohr, Alexander Thomas were both appointed directors on June 9th 2017 as such they already have legal control.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08087382/filing-history

#15139 2 years ago

And Andrew walked away with a big handshake to start hydrofoil

#15140 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Once you deliver even ONE MM remake that you make... then you can talk.

Until then, bugger off.

#15141 2 years ago

Pure conjecture on your part unless you can back up this with facts.

#15142 2 years ago

Any Alien pinball news?

#15143 2 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Pure conjecture on your part unless you can back up this with facts.

Why walk away and hand over all the assets to investors, there is money involved, sold his shares or is still a share holder

There would be a contract of sale of the business, not just new directors signing on that is for sure.

It will all come out in time

#15144 2 years ago

I'm impressed that the 3 new guys have kept the old company, rather than setting up a new one and ditching the 'liabilities' (including HP customers' orders...).

I'm interested in buying a machine once it's shipping, but after Predator (fail), Zidware (partial win), P3 (win but a very long time), Nemo (win but a long time), JJP (wins but a long time) there is no way I would ever pre-order again.

#15145 2 years ago

Or maybe he's going into the food industry:

Domain Name Creation Date Registrar
heighwayfoods.com 2016-02-09 ENOM, INC.
heighwaygroup.com 2016-02-09 ENOM, INC.
playbetterpinball.com 2016-02-09 ENOM, INC.

#15146 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

that picture you have, is quite priceless to you now. impossible picture to take again. id like to see it.

#15147 2 years ago

Heighwayfoods and Heighway Group is almost certainly something else, but the whois on playbetterpinball.com is a bit weird.

EDIT: Heighwayfoods? Erm.

#15148 2 years ago

Why walk away and hand over all the assets to investors, there is money involved, sold his shares or is still a share holder
There would be a contract of sale of the business, not just new directors signing on that is for sure.
It will all come out in time

Owning a business and being in debt was the most stressful part of life for me. With so many people relying on you, wearing many hats, putting out fires, playing mommy and daddy for your employees, etc, etc, the pressures are tremendous. I can tell you that there was a point when I would have happily walked away if someone came in and offered to pay off debts in exchange for the company.
I hope it all works out for everyone involved.

#15149 2 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

that picture you have, is quite priceless to you now. impossible picture to take again. id like to see it.

I'd have to go through about 10,000 photos. I have boxes of them from the "good ol' days" when we took film to Photomat and got prints back.

#15150 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I'd have to go through about 10,000 photos. I have boxes of them from the "good ol' days" when we took film to Photomat and got prints back.

Time to break out the scanner! With that many, might be worth sending them out to be professionally scanned.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 303 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside