DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ferret.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

349 posts in this topic match your search for posts by ferret. You are on page 2 of 2.
#23979 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

I have a question about the derelict ship mode.
Are the posts in the orbits supposed to be activated when shooting up the orbits?

The "explore" orbit (I believe its arrow will be blue) should divert the ball into the pops. The "boost" orbit (green) increases pop value and adds time, but does not divert to the pops. The colors alternate after each orbit shot. Instructions on the screen should remind you which is which.

#23985 5 years ago

I suspect that bar is an artifact of the positioning tricks we used for the main screen vs Airlock screen.

2 weeks later
#24081 5 years ago

All Out War is qualified by playing all the movie scenes from both Alien and Aliens, and also playing all 4 multiballs.

#24084 5 years ago

Right, All Out War is the final wizard mode.

1 week later
#24191 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I forget some of them - especially what appears to be a hurry up that plays an effect louder and quicker each time.....what to hit...

I'm going to guess that you're talking about Rescue. This is started by shooting the APC targets in order (A, P, C)... their inserts will turn yellow as you hit them. When you start Rescue, a hurryup point countdown will start... quickly shoot the Xeno to start a switch frenzy and lock in the hurryup value as the frenzy switch value. The frenzy is timed; hitting the Xeno adds time. Here's the catch: the frenzy points aren't actually collected until you complete the APC drop targets (doesn't have to be in order). If your ball ends or if Rescue times out before completing the APC drops, the entire frenzy pot vanishes. Rescue can be stacked on anything. There are a couple more rules subtleties, but that's the gist of it.

#24211 5 years ago

When this happens, does it go through a partial startup, like the blue-background screen with the code version number? Or all the way back to the black PC power up screen? Or neither of those, it just switches to attract mode instantly?

1 week later
#24277 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

By the way, I am not sure what effect more spinner rotations would have on the Alien gameplay (besides more points).

Easier to qualify Sentry Guns MB. Easier to light Sentry Gun Super JPs. Higher Rescue scores. Possibly a couple other things I’m not recalling right now.

1 week later
#24360 4 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

He and Ferret and David T knocked it outta the park for Alien

Please don't forget Kelly Mazurowski, who IMHO did an absolutely stellar job with the video assets in the game.

(I'm just presuming I don't need to similarly mention Aurich, since he's RIGHT HERE... )

#24400 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I have at least 10 leds out. At least 4 switches. I can start investigating those at some point.
Now the fun stuff.
It is on free play, but requires credits to play, guessing upgrading the code should fix that?
The game freezes on the skillshot quite often and requires rebooting.
The main display is showing the small display on the right side. This just started and doesn't do it every time you turn it on.
The xenomorph locks its jaw open while booting. I disabled it in software so after booting it stops where as before it just made a horrible noise the whole time.
It has red io boards 1.4b assuming these have to be upgraded. That is a cool 1k :/
It has the old computer so I will order a new one 240 there.
The xeno has a metal gear for the jaw which surprised me. Have not seen the stepper motor yet guessing it is the old style?
Need the back right plastic.
Need the leds replaced to the new style.

The 10+ LEDs may or may not be truly out. These are on a serial chain, so if one lamp fails, it takes out all the lamps downstream on that same chain. The chains are identified in the Lamp test with a designation like "2B4" -- that's I/O board 2, chain B, lamp 4. So for example, if you walk through the lamp test and find that 2B4 and all the following 2Bx lamps are inoperative, suspect that 2B4 or 2B3 is problematic, which could mean an actual failed lamp, or just that it's not firmly seated in its socket. Fortunately, if a lamp(s) are actually faulty, TimeBandit has produced replacements. These will also help with replacing your 5-element GI towers with individual lamps when you're ready to try moving to newer code.

I/O boards are probably fine. I wouldn't jump into replacing them.

You don't even necessarily need the new computer. Although we didn't do tons of testing with the production code builds on the older computers, there isn't much end-user difference between the PCs. The change was more about pricing and availability.

The thread that SunKing mentioned is long, but has tons of incredibly useful, detailed information by the cool cats who successfully revitalized machines similar to yours. Grab your favorite beverage and settle in for the read.

Good luck with your new game... you've surely got some work ahead, but hopefully it winds up being a game that you love.

3 weeks later
#24470 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

By the way, is there any chance to get in contact with Dave Sanders?

He pokes his head up here on Pinside from time to time. He's @ealadubhsidhe.

Quoted from dung:

What connector does the airlock screen use? I know the backbox and playfield are dvi to dvi, but not sure if that is the same for the airlock?

Airlock LCD has an HDMI input if memory serves.

#24510 4 years ago

Hey @megaladon, glad you got out of your boot failure... you did that via @weirpinball's instructions?

Howwwwever... you said you were moving from software 0.94 to 1.02. There are two major problems you may have with this:

1) I strongly suspect that the problem you're reporting with the lights is because your game has the 5-element GI "towers", which were not on the production machines and not supported by 1.x software. Your physical lights do not match the software mappings, which is why some lights are no longer working -- your GI lamps are gobbling up 4 more "places" than expected; the exact effect of this varies from one lamp chain to the next. There is no solution for this in the 1.x software... however, TimeBandit has reproduced lamps for the Heighway system, so your best solution may be to buy a bunch of those and replace all of your GI lamps with 1-element devices, and then the lights should work as expected.

2) You may find that your APC drop targets are not recognized correctly, because their polarity was reversed between prototype and production machines. Not quite sure of the best solution for this one.

#24513 4 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

ferret would he have any issues upgrading to the Newer Computer since the Zotac is bound to fail again?

I believe that's a neutral proposition ... either computer should be fine, and if the Zotac is working, no particular reason to upgrade now.

Quoted from megaladon:

Do u think it’s worth another restore just in case something didn’t install right?

For the lighting issue? No. The change from the 5-element to 1-element GI was part of the last production push, and was done in sync with the 0.x to 1.x code. You can even kinda verify it in single-lamp test mode in the operator menus... if you walk through the problematic lamp chains, you should see that each facet of a 5-element GI gets individually lit as you progress through the lamps in the test.

Sorry for the answer, I'm sure it's not what you were looking for. On the plus side, 1.2 is soooo much better than 0.9!

#24518 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

ferret is it ok to change led brightness in the setting in the latest code? I know earlier code it could cause resets. Same question with the Shaker

AFAIK this should all be OK. With the shaker, it's possible for that to stress your power supply, so if you find yourself getting system resets when you're expecting shaker effects, you might need to back off on that (or upgrade your power supply).

#24522 4 years ago

The shaker is used in several areas around the game... don't remember all of them. I wanna say Combat Drop, APC, Queen's Nest, Self Destruct, Loader Battle, and Sentry Guns?

#24525 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Do you have any idea what could cause reset randomly during the game?

If you haven't already, I'd start with disabling the shaker and the beacon, if you have those add-ons. Resets often seem to be related to excessive power draw.

#24549 4 years ago

Sorry, no idea. That magnet should be just like any other similar playfield magnet. Yes, it can be strengthened through coil adjustment in the software.

#24552 4 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

Need some help here...when swapping out the USB cables, are you guys talking about the cables that connect from under the playfield boards to the CPU towards the back bottom of the cabinet? I noticed the connector to those boards under the playfield are quite different.

Yes, those are the ones. They're Mini-USB connectors on the I/O boards... that's not too commonly used these days, but it's a standard nevertheless.

(Sorry, I don't have a specific brand recommendation to offer for replacements.)

#24555 4 years ago

No. For one thing, that is a MICRO USB cable, and you need a MINI USB cable. For another thing, 3 feet may be sufficient for the cabinet I/O board and one of the playfield boards, but probably won't be long enough for the other two playfield boards. And you certainly don't want to be stressing the connectors by having the cable be too short.

#24577 4 years ago

I think Dung was saying he doesn't see much difference between the "standard" and the LE. Which is pretty legit.

#24619 4 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Alien is a great game. I do wish it had gotten more code

What do you feel it's missing in the code department?

#24623 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Just curious since it seems to work fine with that version in my original Zoltac Computer could I just upgrade to the full 1.2 version without any problems?

The answer is "probably".

IN THEORY, there's no reason why v1.2 shouldn't work on the Zotac computer if v1.02 is working properly.

IN PRACTICE, we didn't do much testing of the later software releases on the Zotac, because of the expectation that most/all production units would have the HPraise computer.

If you want to try this upgrade, might be a good idea to first make a backup image of the existing hard drive, if you know how to do that... then you could get back to that image if you had a problem with 1.2. (Actually, I think you already used an image to get your machine up to 1.02, so you're probably already set in that regard... just re-image again using the same steps as before if you run into trouble.)

#24636 4 years ago

Nope, the problems with the company had nothing to do with the code status. The overall code experience in the 1.2 software is pretty much exactly what was designed for this game. Reaching the mini-wizard modes (Self Destruct and Loader Battle) is attainable, though not a gimme, for many players. Doing so with high shot values (i.e. having won several scenes along the way) is harder. Getting to All Out War is pretty tough for anyone. Along the way, there are plenty of stacking opportunities to try to blow up your score. (Combat Drop + Rescue + Hypersleep MB + Sentry Guns MB + 2X Playfield is a pretty good stack.) Using weapons well is a bit of icing on the cake for advanced players.

The point of Alien wasn't to throw everything and the kitchen sink into a game, it was to create a game that took players into the Alien/Aliens universe with strong theme integration and fun modes and multiballs. Obviously I'm biased, but I think the team achieved that wonderfully. Is the game missing some "gotta have it!" scene from the movies that would've translated into an amazing mode or multiball? I dunno, possibly, but I can't recall any of our team (most of whom are very devoted Alien(s) fanatics) saying "I can't believe the game doesn't have <blah>!". And adding dubious tie-ins to the game just to say we have 12 modes instead of 10, or 8 multiballs instead of 7, or 4 wizard modes instead of 3, seems worse than pointless: I think it would stand out like a sore thumb if some features had crappy links to the movies.

If you can reach All Out War every game: congratulations, you're a far better player than most, and it might be time to pass your Alien on to someone else. For everyone else, I'm completely satisfied with the experience we provided, and the balance of easier and harder features and goals.

#24638 4 years ago
Quoted from cyber-greg:

the lack of vibrating effect

Err... do you have the shaker motor accessory?

(I'm also a little sad about the lack of flashers.)

#24641 4 years ago

@cyber-greg, TomDK ... yeah, the Quake shaker is kind of lacking oomph. If you haven't already done so, the 1.2 software offers a "Install Quake" preset that tries to improve the vibration experience with the Quake motors, but in my experience it's just not as feisty as the Cointaker Red Tremor shakers that were previously shipped from the factory.

You should experience shaker effects in Ambush and Sentry Guns multiballs, and the APC, Combat Drop, Queen's Nest, and Tunnel Escape modes.

#24666 4 years ago

If you haven't already replaced the factory USB cables, that's certainly a good first thing to try... pretty easy, pretty cheap, and it'll likely be helpful sooner or later.

1 week later
#24689 4 years ago

Cointaker Red Tremor shipped from the factory for many/most of the games... that one has good oomph.

#24700 4 years ago

Reduce the strength of the trough eject coil?

2 weeks later
#24863 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's about being a professional. You don't release code you don't own. If nothing else it's a great way to tank your reputation and not get hired for other projects. Nobody wants the programmer who leaks all your stuff because they didn't like how they were treated.

I just want to strongly agree with what Aurich said. I can't and don't speak for anyone else on the team, but I was contracted to do coding for hire, that code to belong to Heighway Pinball, not me. Fortunately, eventually, I was paid the compensation that was promised (including a game). But even if I hadn't been paid, it would've been my own damn fault for continuing to do work when payments were in arrears... I wouldn't get to arbitrarily decide on some sort of vigilante justice. You know the cliche about two wrongs not making a right. AFAIK, Pinball Brothers is the owner of that IP now, so whether they choose to use that IP to make more Alien pins, sell it to another company, or print it on toilet paper, that's their choice, not mine or Brian's or Aurich's or David's or Kelly's.

#24869 4 years ago

Hey, I’d be in for those speaker panels if they become a product. Great idea.

#24891 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

The sound on my Alien is incredible its even better or maybe its placebo, does that IO board that I swapped have anything to do with that?

I/O boards have nothing to do with game audio. The sound on Alien is always incredible, between decent sound hardware and David Thiel's INCREDIBLE audio work. If you haven't already, make sure to follow David's instructions for adjusting the amplifier to make the audio pop as much as possible.

#24929 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

But don't worry, today the last pair of this unique parts was sold and from my side there will never be a reproduction again!

If we missed the ordering window yesterday, that's the end of it?

1 week later
#25018 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Look what balls did to my playfield display

Novus?

2 weeks later
#25222 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

I got all the way to the last mode in alien with hyperlseep multiball going on and of course something had to go wrong ! Almost all the balls got stuck in the airlock.

If you manage to send several balls into the Airlock before it kicks them out, this is possible. Shouldn't need to reset the game completely for this, though... a telescoping magnet should be able to pull them out. Where to put them afterwards is a bit of a hassle, but you could try one in the Airlock, one in the launcher lane, one in the Vent 1 saucer, and I guess throw any others in the trough. (All this because of the high power interlock that prevents you from just putting them all on a raised flipper... though perhaps you can do that if there's a nearby friend to help. The glass cartridge is a serious PITA in this situation though.)

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

My trough also kicks 3-4x sometimes until it gets the ball in the launcher

Can you tell if the ball doesn't half enough oomph to reach the launcher lane, or if it has so much oomph that it's hitting the side wall and bouncing back into the trough? In the former case, try nudging up the power of the trough eject coil by one notch (5%); in the latter case, nudge the power down one notch.

And yes, game level and slope can affect these sorts of things too. 6.5 degrees of slope and level side-to-side is ideal.

#25225 4 years ago

Kickers like the Airlock do make themselves stronger automatically if the first couple kickout attempts fail.

#25234 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Ok guys.. Im really sad now. I just leveled the Alien and played like 20 games. All excellent. No more scoop issues no more launch issues. During game play.. dark. It just lost power. Now it wont even turn on. It looks like it wants to, but the airlock LCD panel flashes just a bit then dark.
WHAT TO DO!?

Man, you seriously have a jinxed Alien, don'tcha?

You might check the fuses. It's been quite awhile since I've had to lift the playfield on mine, but if I remember correctly, every fuse has an indicator LED, so if any of those are not illuminated, start with that. If those are all OK, then @Roostking's suggestion is solid. Either way, if you're swapping fuses or tightening connections, make sure you do it with the power off. (If you're not sure if the power's off, pull the cord out to be sure.)

#25253 4 years ago

I'm not in front of my game right now, but I believe Adjustments > Standard > Knocker Sound > OFF will allow the knocker coil to work during gameplay.

1 week later
#25338 4 years ago

@Averell: I received my package, just won't be able to install it for awhile. Thank you very much for your work!

2 weeks later
#25422 4 years ago

Thanks, yeah, I was really happy with how that GI beacon effect turned out.

Used in Self Destruct also BTW.

#25423 4 years ago

And BTW, I’d be remiss if I didn’t give a hat tip to bcd for his great platform lighting schemes that made that beacon effect pretty easy to implement. Cheers, Brian.

1 week later
#25484 4 years ago

YES, factory balls get easily magnetized, which can cause goofy trough problems. Swapping out the balls is an easy solution to many common glitches.

1 week later
#25534 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

So much real estate on either side for (2x) "tips" in monstrous lettering...ugh.

If I remember correctly, Aurich threw those apron graphics together in like 5 minutes shortly before the game was first revealed at Expo, because we wanted to communicate how the weapons worked... it was basically a placeholder. And then, well, you know...

3 months later
#26050 4 years ago

Yes, you can adjust the coil strength of every coil via adjustments. You can reduce the power of the Trough Release coil to help resolve this problem. Much easier and safer solution than bending any physical objects.

1 week later
#26125 4 years ago
Quoted from chrishoyle99:

Does anyone actually have - either on a prototype machine / playfield or separately the original Xeno Toy which the screen replaced??? I was curious as to what that toy actually did - or was intended to do..??????

It was a Queen figurine hidden behind a metal curtain that could rotate away to reveal her. Very similar to the Joker reveal on Batman Dark Knight. The LCD is a much better use of the space.

#26127 4 years ago

Not "shipped", but that toy was on the early Aliens that were revealed at Pinball Expo 2016. I think the motor for the reveal even worked. I'm not sure what happened to those three Expo 2016 machines.

I have a prototype dated January 2017, and it already has the Airlock LCD.

1 week later
#26148 4 years ago

I'd be up for a PETG plastics set.

3 weeks later
#26345 4 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

How to lit the revive inserts?

Shoot the upper (Hypersleep) ramp.

Is it normal my launch ball light is always unlit?

No. It should be lit when the ball is ready to launch, and when you have weapons available.

Do you manage to hit the chestbuster target with left lower flipper?

Yes.

Do you manage to hit vent 2 with left lower flipper?

Yes... via a ricochet off the post that protects the bottom of the upper right flipper.

I also lit the extra ball but don’t know how I did it.

Complete X (adjustable) Lifecycles
Complete LV lanes when you already have 12X
Mother Mystery award

#26356 4 years ago

1X for one LV completed?

No, it's +1X for the first and then +2X through 12... this allowed us to tally using the digits of "4 2 6".

#26370 4 years ago

Finally the launch ball led works in test but not in play. Is it a bug? (Playing In 1.2)

It worked for me in gameplay on 1.2, AFAIK.

2 weeks later
#26518 4 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Out of curiosity; how does the software know what is which IO board? Dipswitches on the board, or the physical USB port its plugged in on the PC

The I/O board discovers that from the thing it’s plugged into on the hardware side (e.g. one of the lighting PCBs)

1 month later
#26653 3 years ago

If you go into Switch Test and roll a ball over the Revive switches, do they register? There shouldn't be anything magical about that... if a Revive lane is lit and the corresponding switch registers, you should get the ball back.

One possible point of confusion is that the switches are located just below the tips of the "Revive" inserts... so it's possible for the ball to roll over a lit Revive insert but then bounce to the other (un-lit) side before passing over the switch, which would not result in a ball save. If that's the case, it's working correctly, but is certainly a bit confusing.

3 weeks later
#26702 3 years ago
Quoted from wdbthree:

recent “community” code update

Not quite sure what you mean by "community" code update... the 1.3 release was done by Brian Dominy, who is a member of the original design team.

Beyond that, totally agree

1 week later
#26788 3 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

All this gossip is flying around

Gossip flying around? Where?

1 week later
#26880 3 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Dont buy American Pinball ... you have also to work on the machines and you will have the same problems with the design.

What?

#26883 3 years ago
Quoted from TomDK:

Read the thread about "Houdini" , I had very massive issues with the powersupplies. Got new ones from the US, did all and sold the game for this reason.
I also played other games with no problems but I got a bad machine.
Also the design ... left was very wide open, in the middle the lane was smaaaaal to hit.

Okay, but you said to avoid the entire company. You know that American Pinball has two games besides Houdini, right?

4 weeks later
#27199 3 years ago

David Thiel has done lots of great work throughout his career, but his effort on Allen’s audio package is truly remarkable.

#27251 3 years ago

It should flash briefly when the ball comes out of Vent 1 during single ball play. Vent 1 -> Chestburster lane is a "Host Combo", which accumulates from other combos (somewhat like the End of Line Jackpot on Tron) and also from egg hits.

#27276 3 years ago

I'm liking this... talk about a great game AND dust off my very rusty French.

#27295 3 years ago

I appreciate the intent, but please, credit where it’s due: that manual is Averell’s outstanding work, not mine. He kindly gave me credit for borrowing text that I’d written here over the years, and I offered some editorial feedback on his drafts. But accolades for creating the book should all go to him.

I love all the community support for this game!

#27336 3 years ago

Actually, the active weapon can be changed at ANY time by pressing the Extra Ball button. This has always been the case, although it is true that previous code versions had a bug where sometimes you weren't able to switch weapons. When possible, the display advises which weapon is selected. There are also unique audio cues for each weapon, so it's actually possible to choose a specific weapon without even watching the screen.

I always figured there would be three tiers of how players used the weapons:

- Novice: doesn't even know that weapons exist. That's fine, for these players the weapons just give some extra bonus points.
- Intermediate: knows about weapons but just pounds the Launch button when they drain, hoping for something good to save the ball.
- Expert: carefully manages their weapons, using the right ones at the right time.

While not easy to do, it can be immensely rewarding when you intentionally use the Flamethrower to save a draining ball, fire the Pulse Rifle to start 2x scoring right when you start a big stack, or use the Smart Gun to collect that Vent 3 Ambush Super Jackpot that you just can't seem to shoot.

#27404 3 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

I have a Quake version in mine and tell you the truth is hard to tell if it's working.

Did you do Install Quake under (I believe) Utilities > Presets? (Sorry, not in front of my game right now.) That changes some settings to try to add some oomph to the Quake shaker, although IMHO it's just not as good as what had been used on earlier units (Cointaker Red Tremor, I think?)

#27443 3 years ago

A friend gave me those coasters as a gift a couple years ago... they’re fun.

2 weeks later
#27598 3 years ago

As I recall, the coin slot lights were coded to work that way intentionally, to help signal whether coins were necessary to play.

#27601 3 years ago

Right... it’s kind of a silly expense to have those be controlled lights, so that’s not often seen.

I’m kinda remembering that doing this also diverts coins to the coin return on (some?) international coin doors.

1 month later
#27668 3 years ago

Congrats on the game, bemmett ! Hope you love it.

Next to a JJPOTC too... nice pair of rarities.

#27679 3 years ago

The .upd package should be fine for you. There are different images available if you have a complete hard drive failure and need to start from scratch, but the .upd should work since the game system is up and running.

#27694 3 years ago

All this talk of choking ferrets makes me squirm.

1 month later
#27953 3 years ago

Upgrading your I/O board firmware to 0.9 should minimize the LED flickering when you flip.

1 week later
#28012 3 years ago

Making Vent 2 from the upper left flipper should be quite doable. But as you mention, I do find it easier to shoot from a lower flipper and intentionally ricochet off the post beneath the upper right flipper. Not magic, just geometry and physics.

2 months later
#28428 3 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

I believe the 12x scene bonus what scored the 1.2 billion twice is a scoring bug. I hope this exceptional scoring can be reduced in an update. Also because I have no idea how I got the scene bonus and the multiplier. Some end of ball bonus do have a scene bonus and others don’t.

You earn Scene Bonus by winning modes. Scene Bonus is a percentage of the total score earned in each "won" mode on that ball. If you're legitimately getting 30 weapons (!) and getting to All Out War twice (!!), and getting 12x bonus along the way... you probably won quite a few modes, perhaps some while 2X scoring was running... getting a huge Scene Bonus is certainly plausible. At a high level, the idea is to make it be important to win modes, while also making the value of bonus significant so that tilting can incur a serious penalty beyond just loss of ball.

#28432 3 years ago

Ummm... those are compiled binaries. Modifying them would be a significant undertaking.

#28437 3 years ago
Quoted from chucky87:

i just want to be able to read the scrypte not modify it for the moment it is python under linux its should be able to open. the person who made the update to 1.4 may well have been able to open it.

Trust me, it is not Python.

The person who did the 1.4 update was one of the original programmers.

I'm the other original programmer.

#28439 3 years ago

Averell has produced the most comprehensive rule sheet that I know of for Alien... it doesn't list every single target value, but it's a pretty thorough guide to the game.

https://images.pinside.com/d/39/d1/d39d17aa279f8afe6ffa3782a58b751f1440ae0e.pdf

There may be a more recent version, I'm sure he will chime in if there is

1 month later
#28523 3 years ago

Check to make sure that the shooter lane switch is registering properly.

1 week later
#28541 3 years ago
Quoted from enzare45:

but it is true that this mini playfied in the center is missing

Just to avoid any confusion: there was never a mini playfield in any released version of Alien. A playfield SCREEN (with identical content as the backbox screen) was removed and replaced with lit inserts.

#28547 2 years ago

That’s likely the only correct answer. If you just compare the underside of the Heighway Alien vs the Pinball Bros Alien, it’s clear that there is little in common between the builds.

#28573 2 years ago

Sometimes you get anomalous sales just because there’s a buyer who really really wants a particular game, whether due to rarity or condition of the specific game, etc. And many buyers aren’t interested in dealing with shipping, so the successful pairing here doesn’t have a similar match over there.

1 month later
#28731 2 years ago

No doubt there are issues to be worked out with Alien 2.0, but I'm feeling good that the Pinball Bros team will get those issues cleaned up soon. I do think the OG machines will remain somewhat special and magical, especially with the playfield screens, but I'm excited about having many more people be able to enjoy Alien pinball!

2 months later
3 weeks later
#28912 2 years ago

I really wish everyone would just love their games. Original Aliens are fantastic, once you get 'em working as intended. I'm sure the Pinball Brothers Aliens are fantastic too, though a little bit different. Whichever model you have, you've got a great playing game based on iconic movies, with stellar theme integration, amazing soundtrack, cool animations, fun shots... I'm just so happy that both models are out in the wild to be enjoyed by lots of people. Hopefully everyone who owns one of these (EITHER model!) is super happy too.

6 months later
#29287 1 year ago

If I remember correctly, the F.E.M.S. number tells you how many bugs are left to kill before you qualify Super Jackpot for the current attack wave. The C.K. values are player number / ball number.

(I have no idea what F.E.M.S. or C.K. mean, but they're on the Motion Tracker in the movie, so they're on the Motion Tracker here. )

#29289 1 year ago

Sorry: Bugs = Aliens, as in Hudson's line about this being a Bug Hunt.

For Ambush MB, it means the tracker dots, which correspond to Jackpots. So the F.E.M.S. number tells you how many Aliens you need to kill by shooting shots in one of the four quadrants, before Super Jackpot is lit.

As a reminder, the key to big scores in Ambush MB is preventing any Aliens from reaching the center -- if they do, your Jackpot value gets reset back to baseline. So you always want to focus on whichever quadrant is closest to the center.

(Sorry, chucky87 -- I wish I could describe this in French for you, but I think my high school French is inadequate.)

1 week later
#29295 1 year ago
Quoted from chucky87:

The multiball all out war has anyone ever had it or seen it?

Yes.

#29297 1 year ago

All Out War is the final wizard mode. You'll need to play all 10 movie scenes and the other 4 multiballs to qualify AOW.

2 weeks later
#29335 1 year ago

Don't overthink that text. The concept is that balls are revived from deep sleep if you drain out a lit left outlane. Those lanes are lit by shooting the Hypersleep (upper) ramp. That's it.

3 months later
#29500 1 year ago
Quoted from NielsR:

Finally got my Alien LE. I see that it currently runs on PB software. Is there a difference in the PB software and the Original software? Just trying to find out if I should keep pinball brothers software on it or not…

The game rules and choreography are basically the same on the Heighway version and the Pinball Brothers version. The hardware is very different, though. Keep the PB software on a PB machine if you want it to, you know, work.

1 month later
#29549 1 year ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Adding weaponsto the in playfield monitor visible at all times would also be nice.

Weapon info should always be available on the Airlock screen whenever it's not on the main screen. I know, not exactly what you asked for, but it was a deliberate choice to keep the main display clean.

7 months later
#29657 10 months ago

LOL at the "Inspected by Averell" sticker, nice touch.

#29664 10 months ago
Quoted from shaneo:

MPF would be an easier, stabler and a more modern solution than re-engineering these boards IO boards and connected architectures.

Easier? Errr, no. Stabler? Probably not. That would entail rewriting the entirety of the game's code -- rules for dozens of modes, multiballs, and misc features; all the choreography; etc. Huge undertaking.

#29667 10 months ago

I monitor this thread constantly... I just mostly don't have much to say... y'all actually understand the hardware and electrical issues far better than I do.

I'm just happy that lots of people get to enjoy the game, whether the Heighway version or the Pinball Brothers version.

1 month later
#29702 9 months ago

That sounds fantastic. I hope you -- or someone -- offers a service to do that, for those who aren't capable of doing so.

3 months later
#29713 6 months ago

I don’t think that harassing Brian is the right approach.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,799 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
349 posts in this topic match your search for posts by ferret. You are on page 2 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ferret.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/2?tu=ferret and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.