• 24,687 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Durzel
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 494.
#1401 3 years ago

WOZ's screen is too big. DMD's are too dated. I think Dutch pinball's screen is the best of both worlds.

#1402 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

WOZ's screen is too big. DMD's are too dated. I think Dutch pinball's screen is the best of both worlds.

+1! That is a great screen!

#1403 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Any notions on alien preview of finished pf, any animations, or cab art? I'm assuming licensing isn't THAT slow. Weeks turn to months turn to, well, you get it.
Just concerned the time for excitement may pass by for this title like a few others if things progress too slowly?
Always the issue I guess with announcing a title way too early.
I wish heighway the best and hope their timing works out!

That's a valid point Underlord. My patience is holding just fine, but if things drag too long interest from prospective buyers & pre-orders can get tense.

#1404 3 years ago

Found this full size egg at Gods and Monsters comic shop in Orlando
image.jpg

#1405 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

+1! That is a great screen!

If the LED screen is going on the backbox too it would look great with supporting artwork around it along with the backglass. FTH just had ( from the pics I saw) a black area around the smaller LCD screen. Made the screen look tinier than it was.

#1406 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Don't be silly....it's a doughnut...

yep cinammon iced

#1407 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

If the LED screen is going on the backbox too it would look great with supporting artwork around it along with the backglass. FTH just had ( from the pics I saw) a black area around the smaller LCD screen. Made the screen look tinier than it was.

True. It was an add on from suggestions from pinsiders after FTH release. I imagine Aurich & crew will implement it better moving forward, starting w Alien.

#1408 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Hell yeah! I bet Andrew snagged that number for himself

yep i guess 426 is taken. : P

#1409 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

True. It was an add on from suggestions from pinsiders after FTH release. I imagine Aurich & crew will implement it better moving forward, starting w Alien.

Hopefully you won't have to imagine much longer...

#1410 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Hopefully you won't have to imagine much longer...

I know, right! It's killing me!

#1411 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Suspect that will be so......I'm just glad Andrew listened and made it an option...pretty confident Aurich will have some cool art to tie everything together...

#1412 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Haven't played ( or seen DP's) screen, but can say for me, WOZ's screen is just fine....can actually gather info while playing, and makes for a very immersive experience in the video/ interactive stuff.....jmo, however...

#1413 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Please Andrew no custom quotes related to pinball, there are humourous line in Aliens, Paxton mainly that could work well but that should be it.

Agree, I suspect Andrew will treat this pin with the respect it deserves as he always speaks so reverently about staying close to the source material. Hudson.JPGPaxton (Hudson) is a scene stealer and his lines will provide all the humor this pin will ever need.

On an unrelated note I wonder how these two action figures of Kane and Dallas would look in a dark smokey environment having climbed up between the beacons? Kane and dallas.jpgHa - maybe throw a couple eggs along with them and have a mini scene

...some of the Ripley figures are starting to look downright scary realistic...ripley.jpg

#1414 3 years ago

There are two big differences between how JJP is using their screen and how we are. Obviously the first one is just size, we're going smaller, and keeping the traditional backglass. I'll admit that I prefer this, I just love seeing big art backlit up there. Just feel right to me, a little more traditional.

But the real difference is because we're embedding ours in the playfield you really need to think about it differently. The information is right there to glance at, you don't have to take your eye off the game. But that also means you need to be careful to not fill it with too much overwhelming information and animation while people are trying to shoot. Not a great place for looping dancing scarecrows.

JJP is really using the screen as a secondary area. They've moved a lot of things up there, like mode inserts etc. We are again a bit more traditional, all the modes will have actual inserts in the playfield still. It's really a bridge between the traditional DMD games, and one where there's more flexibility with high rez animations etc.

#1415 3 years ago

I'm not sure if taking away that playfield art is much different than taking away backglass art. I guess to each their own however no matter where you put it, you are correct in saying it bucks traditionalism.

#1416 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There are two big differences between how JJP is using their screen and how we are. Obviously the first one is just size, we're going smaller, and keeping the traditional backglass. I'll admit that I prefer this, I just love seeing big art backlit up there. Just feel right to me, a little more traditional.
But the real difference is because we're embedding ours in the playfield you really need to think about it differently. The information is right there to glance at, you don't have to take your eye off the game. But that also means you need to be careful to not fill it with too much overwhelming information and animation while people are trying to shoot. Not a great place for looping dancing scarecrows.
JJP is really using the screen as a secondary area. They've moved a lot of things up there, like mode inserts etc. We are again a bit more traditional, all the modes will have actual inserts in the playfield still. It's really a bridge between the traditional DMD games, and one where there's more flexibility with high rez animations etc.

Agreed....believe concept/ implementation are different between the 2.....I like the idea of info I need on the play field, and then Aliens impaling people on the back box ( relative to gameplay, of course.......). Understanding initially that they will just mirror each other, but the possibilities.........ahh

#1417 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed....believe concept/ implementation are different between the 2.....I like the idea of info I need on the play field, and then Aliens impaling people on the back box ( relative to gameplay, of course.......). Understanding initially that they will just mirror each other, but the possibilities.........ahh

Running two different pov's on two different screens, at the same time? If implemented correctly would add a whole other level to gameplay. If not would act cheesy and feel tacked on. Tough call.

#1418 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Running two different pov's on two different screens, at the same time?

That's already the case with the air-lock LCD and playfield LCD. I remember reading an interview with Andrew and him saying something along the lines that the video output would not support 3 different LCD pov's. 2 LCD pov's plus one duplicated, yes.

#1419 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

That's already the case with the air-lock LCD and playfield LCD. I remember reading an interview with Andrew and him saying something along the lines that the video outputs would not support 3 different LCD feeds. 2 feeds plus one duplicated, yes.

I hadn't heard that, I hope that's the case.

#1420 3 years ago

http://pavlovpinball.com/alien/

"Mirroring the playfield display on the backbox would only use one video output for those two screens, and Heighway will make use of the second video output on its hardware in Alien to power another LCD on the playfield, positioned on the airlock toy."

#1421 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

http://pavlovpinball.com/alien/
"Mirroring the playfield display on the backbox would only use one video output for those two screens, and Heighway will make use of the second video output on its hardware in Alien to power another LCD on the playfield, positioned on the airlock toy."

Fun to imagine what they are going to do...one thing for certain....badass prevails...

#1422 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Fun to imagine what they are going to do...one thing for certain....badass prevails...

I paid my deposit with real money, not imaginary money. I don't want to imagine this game, just see some real progress.

#1423 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

I paid my deposit with real money, not imaginary money. I don't want to imagine this game, just see some real progress.

Me too, and am sure the game will be very real.....at this point, positive speculation on details is all we have ...I'm good w it.....

#1424 3 years ago

Yeah. I'm not trying to be negative about it, but April has come and gone long ago. Even though we all knew that was an unrealistic timeframe for release, we haven't seen anything new since the first whitewood. Obviously that whitewood led to design changes, keep us excited...

#1425 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Yeah. I'm not trying to be negative about it, but April has come and gone long ago. Even though we all knew that was an unrealistic timeframe for release, we haven't seen anything new since the first whitewood. Obviously that whitewood led to design changes, keep us excited...

We know people are eager to see something, so we'll figure something out.

#1426 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

We know people are eager to see something, so we'll figure something out.

I have a polaroid camera I can ship. It is really cool too, you point and shoot ... out comes a blank pic. Almost as if by magic, the captured image slowly appears. Then you place those pics in the US postal system and ship to me, along with a mailing list. After items have been examined, I'll dutifully wrap and mail to next name on the list. Before long, all of us will get to see an Alien up close.

#1427 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Agreed, however, Heighway has posted MANY times regarding concept changes, factory up fits, license slowdowns, and is currently shipping their first game. Nothing wrong with them taking their time and getting this title as right as possible before releasing anything. I am more anxious than any, but refuse to wander into the mindset caused by criminals of the past....90 days past target release, and Andrew has been very upfront as to why delays have occurred...no smoke and mirrors ( well, maybe smoke)........gotta let it breathe, man......

#1428 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Fun to imagine what they are going to do...

Yes quite. Imagining in its most basic function the smaller airlock LCD display represents a transition. Perhaps once activated the airlock LCD may show an animation leaving one mode and entering another? Might it offer 'selectable' modes? Maybe an animation through a long shaft Ash takes to the atmosphere processing plant?atmosphereprocessing plant.jpg
Or which weapon your in control of?flamethrower.jpg
Or how much ammo you have left?Ammo Remaining.gif
Entering or exiting cryochambers for a major location change?cryochambers.jpg
Or, very importantly, while your in a mode - showing what shot progresses you through to the next step in the stage?

Jonsey throwing a hissy fit when danger is near?Jonsey.jpg
What ship or vehicle your in?APC.jpg
It could even show the motion display tracker while it is pinging if other high priority information needs to take over the playfield LCD display.alilens motion tracker.gif Most interesting if information on the large playfield LCD display gets downsized and moved to the smaller LCD display when some higher priority animation/information needs to display on the large playfield display.

As with everything at this point before we have seen anything yet - the sky is the limit and only one's imagination is the limiting factor.

The anticipation of a fancy new toy is often the best of times, especially when you don't feel the need to concern yourself with whether it's going to actually really ship someday. I'd say the anxiety level of people that have pre-ordered an LE from Heighway is quite relaxed compared to recent fiascos.

#1429 3 years ago

I think THE most important thing that this game has to get right is the building of tension and suspense just before all hell breaks loose. Getting the atmosphere just right is the key to the theme.

#1430 3 years ago

They don't need to show a lot, but would be nice to see one thing. Maybe a toy or piece of art. Slowly tease this beauty out!

#1431 3 years ago

I am hoping for a cad drawing of the new playfield design first. Can't imagine that the license crowd have any problems with that?

Since we have already seen the first drawing and many of us(at least me) bought this pin after seeing that first drawing of the playfield, it would be nice to see the changes since then.

#1432 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I am hoping for a cad drawing of the new playfield design first. Can't imagine that the license crowd have any problems with that?
Since we have already seen the first drawing and many of us(at least me) bought this pin after seeing that first drawing of the playfield, it would be nice to see the changes since then.

I agree. I don't think that's being unreasonable. I'm sure we'll get some additional information soon.

#1433 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed, however, Heighway has posted MANY times regarding concept changes, factory up fits, license slowdowns, and is currently shipping their first game. Nothing wrong with them taking their time and getting this title as right as possible before releasing anything. I am more anxious than any, but refuse to wander into the mindset caused by criminals of the past....90 days past target release, and Andrew has been very upfront as to why delays have occurred...no smoke and mirrors ( well, maybe smoke)........gotta let it breathe, man......

Sure, we've seen Heighway updates. But it's been 5 months since an Alien update:

Now, after seeing that again, tell me you're not hungry for more.

#1434 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Yeah, we're going to work on that.

#1435 3 years ago

Yes, sort of like how Dutch Pinball first showed the Big Lebowski with only hints of toys an no art present on the playfield.

#1436 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

» YouTube video

What does the upper left flipper do? What shot do you make with it?

#1437 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Sure, we've seen Heighway updates. But it's been 5 months since an Alien update:
» YouTube video

Thank you for posting this, I hadn't seen it yet.

Few ideas off wall ideas
I'm ready for bolt on side playfields with hamster tubes and such to start showing up, or even maybe aliens vs marines two player head to head pinball like the joust pin cocktail, and magnetics making a bigger play in the design, ie defying gravity, or climbing rails or something.

Too much sun today, lol

#1438 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Who knows? The design has had significant changes (as we've been told) since that video.

#1439 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Have to believe there are cards yet to be laid on the table w this layout.....

#1440 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

» YouTube video

Of course, yes......

#1441 3 years ago

Ah, the all too familiar trials and tribulations of early announcement. At least FTH will give us a taste of modular parts design.

Hoping for news soon for you guys.

#1442 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Have to believe there are cards yet to be laid on the table w this layout.....

Probably, but Nordman designed the layout. Hard to believe that he put that flipper there without a shot for it to hit?

#1443 3 years ago

Can't wait, artwork please.

alien_012.jpg

305020-i.jpg

#1444 3 years ago

These are indeed exciting times with talk of a major new toy which interacts with the ball being added recently and Aurich mentioning the changes as, "...more shots and more setups than before, with more flow."

#1445 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Can't wait, artwork please.

alien_012.jpg

Why did you edit your post?

The shot map you posted in response to my post was perfect. Why remove it?

#1446 3 years ago

I screwed it up during an edit, its back.

#1447 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Probably, but Nordman designed the layout. Hard to believe that he put that flipper there without a shot for it to hit?

True, but believe some shots have been reworked to a degree...all for the better....I'm sure the new CAD shall gain some official insight.....I enjoy healthy speculation on things such as this....

#1448 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I screwed it up during an edit, its back.

Then so is my thumbs up!

#1449 3 years ago

I talked with Andrew. We both agree that we'd like to post an updated CAD drawing. There were some tweaks recently, so we just want to make sure it's feeling final, and then figure out how/what we want to talk about as far as a shot map or something.

I know waiting sucks. At this point we can either just be silent, or do our best to tell you what's going on and ask for patience. I think just being up front is way better than being quiet. And it's why Andrew has gotten so much respect here, he's the only major manufacturer that just tells you what's going on as best he's able, because he feels the same way.

That's one of the things that gave me confidence in working with Andrew, he gets that communication is so important.

I hate that the old CAD drawing is till being referenced, just since it's out of date. So is that first whitewood video. We'll fix that as soon as possible.

I can't get into specifics before Andrew is good with showing something, but I will say this:

All the flippers will make more sense with the tweaks, there's really a purpose to all 4. No one will be wondering why any of them are there.

Dave @ Heighway has really been obsessively iterating and improving the layout, some of it will be immediately obvious and change/add shots, and some of it is subtle but should create better geometry. In a previous version I had at one point there was a shot that looked like it might be a real ball trap problem. He spotted it before I even mentioned it and completely changed the flow of the shot, and now it's got more interesting possibilities. Every change has made it better, more polished. And since we're developing the rules in concert with this process the rules were able to influence the shots too, so that everything matched up to a vision.

It's what is posted up there, but better. I'm really confident that everyone will be excited about the changes. As a to-be owner myself I'm really pleased with them. I know people want to know about the art and LCD screen and stuff, but the most important thing is that it's fun to play. And I'm not even a big widebody fan, but this pin couldn't be done otherwise. It really utilizes the real estate. And I think Nordman's widebody vision, combined with Dave's flow mechanics is going to be a lot of fun to shoot.

#1450 3 years ago

I'm lovin it... Alien not Maccas!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside