Quoted from SunKing:
Join_the_Cirqus, please end the confusion and explain how your game's trim changed color from the time you first posted ten days ago 'till now. Did you have it powder coated? Did Andrew send you replacement armor? Do you have two machines? ...you would end a lot of speculation with a simple answer.
He was being deliberately vague for a reason. Trying to avoid outright lies without telling the truth. He finally got pushed into a corner and clarified that he indeed did powder coat it himself. He also clearly worked on this with Andrew, since:
1) He had to be sent the bits.
2) He talked about "working with Andrew" on this. Why do you have to 'work with' him when you've just paid for a product, and why do several of these early machines seem to rely on cloak and dagger hush-hush agreements, where the new owner must act as an unofficial PR, and none of whom will disclose either the nature of the agreement or how they came to be selected over others?
3) Andrew e-mailed people yesterday saying that something very positive was happening and it would hopefully be announced the same day (i.e. didn't know when powder would be ready).
Neither of them seem to have thought about this very much before doing it, though. People were asking for PR management ,and honesty with it, yesterday. This is what you get.
Anyway, the first DIY LE 1/??? edition compared to what an LE is supposed to be:
• Gloss Black high finish cabinet - No.
• Beacons – Yes.
• Shaker - ?
• 35th sidepanels - No, Standard. Then sent out later presumably as part of a deal to show an 'LE' off to prove they've shipped .. but seems to have forgotten that people had seen the Standard days earlier, and botched the PR. Oops.
• Backglass - No, Standard. Also marketed as such (backglass), but it's a translite and there is no glass, and sent out later as above.
•Numbered LE placque, as per FTh – No. Handwritten note scrawled on back of backbox with marker pen.
• Green trim (or gloss black / blue) - No. Did green himself. About 2 years after showing first digital mock-ups, and 7 months since full Expo revelation, no official LE trim has been shown yet. N.B. It's just a powder coat.
• Fibre Optics – No.
• Goodie Bag – No (just a hunch).
Aren't they supposed to be printing side panels and possibly translites in house now? Even if not, his game was shipped 2 weeks after the LE translite and panels were shown and approved. Why were other people who wanted to downgrade their LE to a Standard, in order to get it shipped, not offered this? Maybe some others were. Some certainly were not.
If they had the parts and ability to produce any even remotely reasonable number of machines, they'd be sending out higher ticket price LEs (the additional parts cost of which is dwarfed by the price delta). Full machines. Not smoke and mirrors like this. Especially as his was supposed to be the first 'final' machine, with working Xeno, and hence hardware done.