zKszZMu.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2530 (resized).jpg
IMG_2529 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 283 of 601.
#14101 6 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

1. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS FILM. I THOUGHT PROMETHEUS WAS GREAT. 2. WHY WOULD SOMEONE DOWNVOTE THIS POST???

Probably because it was a terrible movie

An injustice to the brand

#14102 6 years ago

The new movie had a lot of the look and feel from Prometheus. It also continued the story arch -I'm okay with both of those things, even though I know some folks aren't.
The problem with the new film for me was the compounded 'stupid'. Every character made stupid decisions... repeatedly. These folks are supposed to be trained flight crews / scientists whatever. This isn't a teen horror flick like Nightmare on Elm Street. I expect a little bit more. Unfortunately they used the 'stupid decision' mechanic to advance the plot repeatedly - and that was something that simply wasn't used in the first 2 movies. Bad things happened IN SPITE of reasonable decisions in those 1st two flicks....

#14103 6 years ago
Quoted from Deadpin:

Unfortunately they used they 'stupid decision'

Yup! "Hey!...i got an idea....why don't we split up?!"

#14104 6 years ago

I played a brand new pro alien this past weekend and here are my thoughts

the good
- the build of the cabinet and backbox are very nice. I'm not too keen on the playfield glass set up (it's damn heavy) but on the plus side, doesn't take a ton of space in front of the game to remove
- I wasn't a fan of the backbox until I actually saw it. it really is a nice design and a leap forward from the wooden and metal backboxes of the stern and jjp games
- the quality of both the 25" backbox display and the one under the playfield is fantastic. the coders have done an excellent job of integrating the films' footage and game modes
- I love the fact that both the outer side panels and interior [blades] light up

the indifferent
- code version on the machine that I played was 0.97 and had some issues (like scoring getting all messed up with a 4-player game
(granted, this will be addressed with future code updates, it's kind of disappointing that this far after the game being showcased at expo last year, that they are still having issues of this nature. additionally, with a 4-player game, multi-ball modes would start randomly at the beginning of ball one for player no. 4
- the drop out flipper mechanisms are an interesting change from what we're used to. it will be very interesting further down the road, just how available (and how expensive) replacement parts are
- the way that the playfield monitor is mounted should have been like the windows on CftBL and Congo with studs secured to the underside of the playfield and grommeted locknuts securing the panel. having to screw [into] the bottom of the playfield is just asking for trouble with stripped out screw holes. the small pieces of foam which are meant to act as levelers will break down soon and need to be replaced. additionally, if your playfield isn't perfectly flat, there's just no way in heck that you are going to get all 4 corners (and the edges) of the display level with the playfield cut-out. we ended up installing a large sheet of removable mylar to prevent the playfield from getting ball chips at the edges

the bad
- the scalloped edge on the left ramp was very sharp to the touch (just an FYI for all you new and potential owners) where the cut ended near the top before the loop back
- the metal ramp was filthy with residue from the welds. initially, I thought that it was an effect of an old weather starship that they were trying to achieve, but it was quickly pointed [to me] that on the ramp, the pattern of the ramp's filth matched that of the welds
- the same goes for all of the lamp boards underneath the playfield. apparently, heighway hasn't heard of running the boards through a wash cycle after applying all of the components. fingerprints and flux residue covered every one of the strangely cut boards.
- the ball kick out cut-out of the apron is too large and causes the ball to get "hung" to the left of the shooter lane almost 50% or more of the time. we had to fashion a make-shift plastic shim to close up the hole to prevent this from happening

the ugly
- half of the rubber rings were dry rotted straight out of the box and needed to be replaced. (just how long ago were the rings purchased and have they not been stored properly?
- changing out the rubber rings led to accidentally breaking one of the acrylic (not PETG) playfield protectors while trying to free it from the posts. acrylic was NOT a good choice
- the game that we received did not include the xenomorph head [at all]. we were told that it would ship at a later time, but only after inquiring (and we were not given a date at which it would ship

looking above, one might get the feeling that I do not like the game. that's far from the truth. even with all of its shortcomings, we had a lot of fun playing it for about 4+ hours, but truth be told, I really have the feeling that machines are only being shipped to placate the people who paid in full and have been waiting too long.

it's quite obvious that the game still needs some major tweaks (straight out of the box no less) which shouldn't be the case for something that you're paying north of $7K for

just my .02

#14105 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I played a brand new pro alien this past weekend and here are my thoughts
the good
- the build of the cabinet and backbox are very nice. I'm not too keen on the playfield glass set up (it's damn heavy) but on the plus side, doesn't take a ton of space in front of the game to remove
- I wasn't a fan of the backbox until I actually saw it. it really is a nice design and a leap forward from the wooden and metal backboxes of the stern and jjp games
- the quality of both the 25" backbox display and the one under the playfield is fantastic. the coders have done an excellent job of integrating the films' footage and game modes
- I love the fact that both the outer side panels and interior [blades] light up
the indifferent
- code version on the machine that I played was 0.97 and had some issues (like scoring getting all messed up with a 4-player game
(granted, this will be addressed with future code updates, it's kind of disappointing that this far after the game being showcased at expo last year, that they are still having issues of this nature. additionally, with a 4-player game, multi-ball modes would start randomly at the beginning of ball one for player no. 4
- the drop out flipper mechanisms are an interesting change from what we're used to. it will be very interesting further down the road, just how available (and how expensive) replacement parts are
the bad
- the scalloped edge on the left ramp was very sharp to the touch (just an FYI for all you new and potential owners) where the cut ended near the top before the loop back
- the metal ramp was filthy with residue from the welds. initially, I thought that it was an effect of an old weather starship that they were trying to achieve, but it was quickly pointed [to me] that on the ramp, the pattern of the ramp's filth matched that of the welds
- the same goes for all of the lamp boards underneath the playfield. apparently, heighway hasn't heard of running the boards through a wash cycle after applying all of the components. fingerprints and flux residue covered every one of the strangely cut boards.
- the ball kick out cut-out of the apron is too large and causes the ball to get "hung" to the left of the shooter lane almost 50% or more of the time. we had to fashion a make-shift plastic shim to close up the hole to prevent this from happening
the ugly
- half of the rubber rings were dry rotted straight out of the box and needed to be replaced. (just how long ago were the rings purchased and have they not been stored properly?
- changing out the rubber rings led to accidentally breaking one of the acrylic (not PETG) playfield protectors while trying to free it from the posts. acrylic was NOT a good choice
- the game that we received did not include the xenomorph head [at all]. we were told that it would ship at a later time, but only after inquiring (and we were not given a date at which it would ship
looking above, one might get the feeling that I do not like the game. that's far from the truth. even with all of its shortcomings, we had a lot of fun playing it for about 4+ hours, but truth be told, I really have the feeling that machines are only being shipped to placate the people who paid in full and have been waiting too long.
it's quite obvious that the game still needs some major tweaks (straight out of the box no less) which shouldn't be the case for something that you're paying north of $7K for
just my .02

Well thanks for you thoughts.... I appreciate it! I too am feeling nervous about getting my game with their being all these known issues.... but that god damn title, "ALIEN"...... man I can't wait!!!!!

#14106 6 years ago

the theme is great (not my "grail", but great implementation nonetheless

two other things that I forgot to mention:
- we experienced quite a few airballs, straight out of the box. maybe the posts with the sleeves are not completely perpendicular to the playfield, causing the balls to jump quite a bit. this will require more investigation
- the exposed wiring for the switch [above] the kickback scoop that feeds to the wireform leading back to the right inlane seems like a cheap cop-out. even a simple black rubber cover would have been preferred to the exposed switch (or it could have been positioned differently and out of sight completely

#14107 6 years ago

Hopefully by the time LE's start shipping most or all of the current out of box issues are solved, after 3 years and 10K paid in full I would be pissed to get anything but a fully functioning pin, if it wasn't for the shining light that is the theme of Aliens in a sea of shit themes I would be out real fast, Andrew time to step it up man, I mean its almost June 2017.

#14108 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Were the ramps able to be cleaned up? I also noted their nasty, unfinished appearance on the Alien at Allentown and seemingly every other photo of the game to date. Some people tried to tell me that this was the desired appearance of the ramps, but that just didn't make any sense to me.

#14109 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Looking forward to a third movie to see how it all wraps up with a crashed Engineer's ship containing a Queen on LV-426.

Quoted from RTS:

Thanks for not giving away the ending.

The crashed ship queen produced eggs he's referring to is from the first Alien movie from 1979 not something that happens in Covenant.

I think the spoilers warning for Alien has expired since the movie came out 38 years ago.

#14110 6 years ago

I got to play one Sunday, It was OK at best...

The ALIEN head was missing, it was NOT in the game when shipped.

highway robbery perhaps

#14111 6 years ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I got to play one Sunday, It was OK at best...
The ALIEN head was missing, it was NOT in the game when shipped.
highway robbery perhaps

Don't you mean Heighway robbery?

#14112 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

Careful! When I said that I got jumped on!

#14113 6 years ago

Geez...pinsiders ripping each other to shreds...

can we just just re-theme Full Throttle to Alien and load up the trucks already?

git er done (resized).jpggit er done (resized).jpg

#14114 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Some people tried to tell me that this was the desired appearance of the ramps, but that just didn't make any sense to me.

Has Andrew actually commented on the finish of the ramps ? / reasoning etc. i may have missed it.

#14115 6 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

Has Andrew actually commented on the finish of the ramps ? / reasoning etc. i may have missed it.

For me as an owner it really isn't an issue. Fits the theme

#14116 6 years ago

Not again

again with the ramps?

#14117 6 years ago
Quoted from karl:

again with the ramps?

I'm looking forward to where my issue with this pin is I'm a little turned off because of the look of the metal ramps.

#14118 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm looking forward to where my issue with this pin I'm a little turned off because of the look of the metal ramps.

Not like a non coin much issue

#14119 6 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Not again
again with the ramps?

Well, then Heighway can answer the simple question - Are these the final, production ramps or are they leftover prototypes? Without an answer, one could speculate the ramps are prototypes or previously used and unfinished ramps.

No one here wants the answer to that question? Several new owners have commented on the unfinished, filthy ramps since I inquired about them after seeing the game in person at Pinfest. I see their comments were selectively ignored though.

#14120 6 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

For me as an owner it really isn't an issue. Fits the theme

The question wasn't if you (or anyone else) liked the ramps. The question, that only Heighway can answer, are these production ramps that EVERY game will have installed going forward? Or were old parts used to cobble together some pins so "Now shipping!!" claims can be made?

#14121 6 years ago

Anyone know if there will be an Alien at SFGE?

#14122 6 years ago

Do people who own the machine like the ramps, and think it fits well with the theme?

#14123 6 years ago

I think the ramps are intended to look how they do on the games that have shipped. I think they look great and match the theme. I also thing they are made of a much thicker metal than many other companies have used on metal ramps and they feel really solid to shoot.

#14124 6 years ago

As long as the ramps are stainless steel then passivation will remove any discoloration from the weld. Check out this video.

#14125 6 years ago

I think that the new owners would be happy with a little head (installed)

#14126 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Anyone know if there will be an Alien at SFGE?

SFGE gets Total Annihilation, NWPAS gets Alien. I wish both could have both! Next year!

Aaron
FAST Pinball

PS: SFGE will have Spaceballs... w/ an alien mech!

#14127 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

The question wasn't if you (or anyone else) liked the ramps. The question, that only Heighway can answer, are these production ramps that EVERY game will have installed going forward? Or were old parts used to cobble together some pins so "Now shipping!!" claims can be made?

As someone with a deposit down I can honestly say I do not care about the answer to this question.

#14128 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

As someone with a deposit down I can honestly say I do not care about the answer to this question.

And that's fine. I don't care about fiber optics ramps and any discussion relating to them, but I'm not trying to shut anyone down who has questions.

#14129 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

And that's fine. I don't care about fiber optics ramps and any discussion relating to them, but I'm not trying to shut anyone down who has questions.

Just try to be smart, dude. Your comment on my last post was pretty rude. This is a place where we all share our experiences, impressions and thoughts. We're not here to answer your questions...but a few from us will when you don't act like a....well act like you actually do )

#14130 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I'm not trying to shutdown anyone either. But if YOU care so much about this why not email Heighway directly?

#14131 6 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

Your comment on my last post was pretty rude

My apology because I did not intend my reply to come off as rude.

#14132 6 years ago

Havent had the opportunity to play the game (seen many of the videos), saw the movie though (Alien Covenant).
Pretty safe to say the game is going to be way better than the movie.

#14133 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Havent had the opportunity to play the game (seen many of the videos), saw the movie though.
Pretty safe to say the game is going to be way better than the movie.

You didn't like Alien or Aliens...really?

#14134 6 years ago

Guys, we want everyone to tone down the rhetoric in this thread a notch or two. Blanket negativity just for the sake of negativity needs to stop. Personal attacks need to stop, even if they are somewhat passive and not a direct rules violation.

#14135 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You didn't like Alien or Aliens...really?

Liked all the Alien, Aliens movies (some more than others)....even Prometheus. This one, really missed the mark to me. Ok, so it told the back story to how these buggers came into existence. But not a great deal of suspense building to a good climax. I literally closed my eyes and almost fell asleep during the first third of the move. It was ok, but nothing special 6.5-----C+....just ok.

#14136 6 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Liked all the Alien, Aliens movies (some more than others)....even Prometheus. This one, really missed the mark to me. Ok, so it told the back story to how these buggers came into existence. But not a great deal of suspense building to a good climax. I literally closed my eyes and almost fell asleep during the first third of the move. It was ok, but nothing special 6.5-----C+....just ok.

Plenty of flaws, but I really enjoyed it. Prometheus as well. But, then again I'm a big fan of Fassbender.

#14137 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Probably because it was a terrible movie
An injustice to the brand

which movie was terrible?

#14138 6 years ago

i love ramp

#14139 6 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

which movie was terrible?

Covenant

#14140 6 years ago

Anybody hear when the Alien Le's are supposed to ship ????

#14141 6 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Anybody hear when the Alien Le's are supposed to ship ????

Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

There are many questions about production so I want to give you an update.
We continue to manufacture and ship Standard Edition games on a weekly basis.
We are not at the point of 'mass production' yet as we continue to iron out any issues that may arise. We have had a lot more issues to deal with than we first thought, and we have made some significant changes as a result. Clearly, it is much better to make these changes when smaller numbers of machines have been delivered.
I'd like to take this chance to thank all of the early adopters for their patience, and their significant feedback. It really has helped us to develop a better, and more reliable game.
I understand everyone's frustration at the slow production figures - but this will change, and soon. We will continue to ramp up SE production to clear our current backlog. LE production is also beginning now and we expect to ship significant numbers of LEs in June and July to paid-in-full customers first.
We are 100% committed to delivering this game to everyone who has ordered - and as quickly as quickly as possible. It is our one and only priority

This is the last time Andrew was on pinside. Must have gotten sick of us.

#14142 6 years ago

Damn Andrew

When do you start cranking out these machines !!?

We need some used ones in the market place.

Two years is enough waiting time to put anyone in a mental institution!

#14143 6 years ago

Heighway and their design team have commented on this thread more than about any other pinball manufacturer has on threads about their games, but it's probably an unrealistic expectation to think that a company would monitor online forums daily to answer questions about their product. Especially as they are busy working to better that product, assemble it, ship it, and ramp up production. Running your own business is hard, the hours are long, the amount of tasks and work is overwhelming, and unless you have someone specifically hired to deal with social media and marketing, it's an area that often doesn't get that much attention.

#14144 6 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#14145 6 years ago

Damnit.....no! I havent seen it yet, but its tradition to see every Alien movie in the theater

#14146 6 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Damnit.....no! I havent seen it yet, but its tradition to see every Alien movie in the theater

Grab a bag of popcorn and see what you think. It's watchable but you sit there thinking when is this movie gonna start getting real and scary and then it just ends with a predictable twist. The whole thing was predictable and gets more ridiculous as you go.

#14147 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Grab a bag of popcorn and see what you think. It's watchable but you sit there thinking when is this movie gonna start getting real and scary and then it just ends with a predictable twist. The whole thing was predictable and gets more ridiculous as you go.

The scene with the recorder lasted so long I'm pretty sure I know how to play one now.

#14148 6 years ago

I liked the movie. A little slow but the Aliens were so cool!!!

#14149 6 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

SFGE gets Total Annihilation, NWPAS gets Alien. I wish both could have both! Next year!
Aaron
FAST Pinball
PS: SFGE will have Spaceballs... w/ an alien mech!

Will Spaceballs do anything this year?

#14150 6 years ago

Too funny!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,999 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 30,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 283 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/283 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.