DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 278 of 601.
#13851 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

I most probably think that the backbox display is one of the main culprits that accounts to the heft.

That's all that's in there, so that's it for sure.

#13852 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Could you leave it over the magnet as well?

If you do the ball will wear through it very quickly, and make a nasty looking mess of it. It's actually very easy to cut out the circle around the magnet once it's placed, just be careful not to stab or catch the blade on the pf finish.

#13853 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Good question...over here they use round mylar dots for covering the magnet and the sourrounding area so Ted's question is more than valid

#13854 6 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Oh, its turned up
But sound is night and day with the Polk Attached

At Aurich's encouragement I paid significant attention to the bottom octave of the Alien sound package. To this end I added a Daytona Audio sub to my studio. You can't adjust what you can't hear. There are a lot of moments when something dives down that dives down a little further with a Sub Woofer.

I have a background as a rock musician and know how to 'rock'.

I hope this is working for everybody.

ddt

#13855 6 years ago

Great news, Andrew promised 5 of the first 10 games were shipping to us this week. Been some delays, glad to hear he has games shipping!

#13856 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

At Aurich's encouragement I paid significant attention to the bottom octave of the Alien sound package. To this end I added a Daytona Audio sub to my studio. You can't adjust what you can't hear. There are a lot of moments when something dives down that dives down a little further with a Sub Woofer.
I have a background as a rock musician and know how to 'rock'.
I hope this is working for everybody.
ddt

The sounds on this game are amazing.... immersive is how I can best describe

#13857 6 years ago

Are all the new games out there running .97 code?

#13858 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

mylay strip at kickout.
mylar donut around xeno mag on pf
mylar at ball drops
all good

what a ball drop??

#13859 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

what a ball drop??

ohhh i figured it out..... just had to put my pinhead hat on....

#13860 6 years ago

The front of the game would look so much better if all those carriage bolts were black. Just sayin' !

#13861 6 years ago
Quoted from woz:

The front of the game would look so much better if all those carriage bolts were black. Just sayin' !

tumblr_m02axlkcXA1qfyusqo1_1280 (resized).jpgtumblr_m02axlkcXA1qfyusqo1_1280 (resized).jpg

#13862 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

If you look at the wear on the shadow magnet I'd imagine the Mylar would be gone in a week on alien

#13863 6 years ago

I just want my LE, being a paid in full fella I'm hoping this summer.

#13864 6 years ago

a few tips for guys getting their games, stuff Ive had to tweak:
-First of course mylar on the airlock, also on mother in front of the invert ramp and an bit in the shooter lane
-some switch tweaks as nessisary
-game plays great at 6.8 degrees
-check the tightness of all the screws for the flipper mechs Ive had a few fall out, and am missing a few.
-check level of the screen and mag, again a screw fell out of my screen, no big deal but if I wasnt checking it would have been
-all but one flipper mech EOS switches were stuck closed, no big deal
-plastic washers replaced as so:
PFM_0331 (resized).JPGPFM_0331 (resized).JPG
-right orbit guide needed to be bent back, the end was sticking out and when you hit the left orbit it would nail the end and slow it down (yes I managed to accidentally break a plastic while adjusting, hopefully Highway can sell me another ):z2 (resized).jpgz2 (resized).jpg

-also, the chestburster shot, hard shot, you may need to adjust the guide to hit it properly, however my switch is not clearing the shot eg. here I am pushing the button and it is not clearing (still flashing), it registers on the switch matrix test as right lane target which sounds correct? Or does it clear with pop bumper hits etc?
z3 (resized).jpgz3 (resized).jpg
z4 (resized).jpgz4 (resized).jpg

Hopefully my Xeno head comes soon, but so far a really great game, great sounds give it a great ambiance - the game reminds me of playing IJ-TPA for some reason but better, great theme integration and shots and sound and art. I have great plans for future powder coat, and do want to put some beacons on. Thanks guys for all the hard work you put into this game!
z5 (resized).jpgz5 (resized).jpg

#13865 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

+10, yes, please others do consider doing this.
If concerned about the visual of the display, then cut the mylar to a picture frame.
Even a hair of raised or lower on the window can cause edge wear fast.
(If you run your hand over and its perfectly smooth, you could be OK)

I am definitely in for protecting my game, and will mylar all other areas mentioned... but covering the whole playfield screen seems a little over the top... I mean i will if there is known issues with that part of the game... but i really do think it would interfere with the clarity of the screen.
has anyone that has an aliens or a full throttle not done it and regret it? or done it and no regretted it?

#13866 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

but i really do think it would interfere with the clarity of the screen.

As I stated, I did it. No clarity issues(with game off you could "maybe" tell, but on a lit screen no way). You will, however, have clarity issues after a ball rolls over it a few thousand times without protection, hence the mylar. To each his own. I did the same thing on my Congo and it's worked out great. If the game is going on location I would 100% do it. If your screen looses a screw and dips a little and it gets 100 plays on it before you notice you'll be bummed.

#13867 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

a few tips for guys getting their games, stuff Ive had to tweak:
-First of course mylar on the airlock, also on mother in front of the invert ramp and an bit in the shooter lane
-some switch tweaks as nessisary
-check the tightness of all the screws for the flipper mechs Ive had a few fall out, and am missing a few.
-check level of the screen and mag, again a screw fell out of my screen, no big deal but if I wasnt checking it would have been
-all but one flipper mech EOS switches were stuck closed, no big deal
-plastic washers replaced as so:

-right orbit guide needed to be bent back, the end was sticking out and when you hit the left orbit it would nail the end and slow it down (yes I managed to accidentally break a plastic while adjusting, hopefully Highway can sell me another ):
-also, the chestburster shot, hard shot, you may need to adjust the guide to hit it properly, however my switch is not clearing the shot eg. here I am pushing the button and it is not clearing (still flashing), it registers on the switch matrix test as right lane target which sounds correct? Or does it clear with pop bumper hits etc?

Hopefully my Xeno head comes soon, but so far a really great game, great sounds give it a great ambiance - the game reminds me of playing IJ-TPA for some reason but better, great theme integration and shots and sound and art. I have great plans for future powder coat, and do want to put some beacons on. Thanks guys for all the hard work you put into this game!

Sounds like the Heighway factory could use some lock washers and Loctite on those machine screws under the pf. They are awesome for re-use over the long-term, but not as snug against loosening via vibration.

Alien owners will want to pick some up: https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37418-Strength-Threadlocker-6-milliliter/dp/B000FIXQXK

#13868 6 years ago

I think early adopters would be doing everyone a HUGE service by starting a new thread for...

ALIEN: RECOMMENDED TWEAKS, ADJUSTMENTS & UPGRADES

These helpful hints/photos are going to get buried in this thread, and I think it would be awesome to have all these tweaks listed in one thread.

Thanks in advance

#13869 6 years ago

Also does Heighway include a manual for their games, or does the diagnostic menus on the LCD basically make that obsolete now? The old manuals are nice for parts lists, diagrams, etc. Hoping they include one.

Basically I'd like to know a specific list of all the rubber sizes used in the game, in case I swap out.

#13870 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Also does Heighway include a manual for their games, or does the diagnostic menus on the LCD basically make that obsolete now? The old manuals are nice for parts lists, diagrams, etc. Hoping they include one.
Basically I'd like to know a specific list of all the rubber sizes used in the game, in case I swap out.

No manual in mine,not even sure where to do my code update when I get it.

#13871 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

there isnt a manual for full throttle yet, so i wouldn't expect much on that front.

#13872 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I think early adopters would be doing everyone a HUGE service by starting a new thread for...
ALIEN: RECOMMENDED TWEAKS, ADJUSTMENTS & UPGRADES
These helpful hints/photos are going to get buried in this thread, and I think it would be awesome to have all these tweaks listed in one thread.
Thanks in advance

this is pinside.... you have to sift throu any thread..

#13873 6 years ago

ok I know i will to excited to remember what to check, so thanks to all the posts on here, i made a check list for myself. and i will follow before i play a game.

Under Playfield
Check all connections
Check tightness of all screw (flipper mechs and screen)
Check levelness of the screen
Check levelness of the Magnet
Check EOS switches – make sure they are open and set properly

MYLAR
on the airlock scoop
also on mother in front of the invert ramp
and an bit in the shooter lane
around the magnet
ball drops
full playfield screen ( or mylar a frame around the screen if you choose not the whole thing)

Playfield
Check Right orbit guide for proper operation (end could be stuck out – causing the ball to hit it when fed from left orbit)
Replace plastic washers with proper metal washers
Check guide on chest burster shot

Software
Ensure code is up to date

Set Pitch
Game pitch to 6.8 Degrees

Play the fricken thing!!

#13874 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

also, the chestburster shot, hard shot, you may need to adjust the guide to hit it properly, however my switch is not clearing the shot eg. here I am pushing the button and it is not clearing (still flashing), it registers on the switch matrix test as right lane target which sounds correct? Or does it clear with pop bumper hits etc?

There's an inductive switch under the playfield just below the standup target in that lane. On older software, it required inductive switch -> standup target in quick succession to award the Chestburster lane shot. On newer software (probably what you have), there's an operator adjustment, "Chestburster Lane Diff.", that can be Easy or Hard. If set Hard, it follows the original behavior, needs inductive -> standup in quick succession. If set Easy, it only requires the inductive switch, and the standup is basically unused. I made this change because I was seeing on streams, as well as my own game, that many shots to that lane were just making it to the standup target without enough oomph to fully trigger the standup, and thus not registering. Frustrating for what's already a hard shot. So the Easy setting makes it, well, easier. The flip side of the Easy setting -- some may even consider this a benefit -- is that sometimes the pop bumper can kick the ball over the inductive switch and award the shot. Personally I consider that an acceptable tradeoff, but that's why I made it an adjustment, so owners can select the behavior that feels right to them.

All this means that you should also use Switch Edges to verify the inductive switch in that lane.

#13876 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

There's an inductive switch under the playfield just below the standup target in that lane. On older software, it required inductive switch -> standup target in quick succession to award the Chestburster lane shot. On newer software (probably what you have), there's an operator adjustment, "Chestburster Lane Diff.", that can be Easy or Hard. If set Hard, it follows the original behavior, needs inductive -> standup in quick succession. If set Easy, it only requires the inductive switch, and the standup is basically unused. I made this change because I was seeing on streams, as well as my own game, that many shots to that lane were just making it to the standup target without enough oomph to fully trigger the standup, and thus not registering. Frustrating for what's already a hard shot. So the Easy setting makes it, well, easier. The flip side of the Easy setting -- some may even consider this a benefit -- is that sometimes the pop bumper can kick the ball over the inductive switch and award the shot. Personally I consider that an acceptable tradeoff, but that's why I made it an adjustment, so owners can select the behavior that feels right to them.
All this means that you should also use Switch Edges to verify the inductive switch in that lane.

That's awesome thanks, Ill be putting this one on easy lol, I thought there could be an inductive switch so tried the ball but didn't realize it would need both in order.

What would have been slightly better in terms of inserts would have been to have the airlock 2 shot have a 2nd chestburster light rather than another hugger insert. Give a guy some options - plus when trying to work towards the save newt you have to make the mother shot to get either of those shots and its a hugger shot already.

#13877 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I thought it wasn't registering my shot all the time.
Now I know why,thanks I'll change my setting to.

#13878 6 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

I thought it wasn't registering my shot all the time.
Now I know why,thanks I'll change my setting to.

Pingod uses 'easy' settings! Might as well leave the glass off while you're at it Dan!

#13879 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Can you provide a medium setting? That makes it need two inductive switch hits in X time. In other words a shot up the lane but without enough oompf shoul go over tHe switch then back down the switch?

This would eliminate the freebie from the pops, but allow a shoot kwith almost the oompf to still count.

Not sure of the distance between inductive and top of lane to standup if this is possible. Just a thought

#13880 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

For the scoop, make it extend out approx. 2cm from the hole on all 3 sides, and also down into the scoop to cover the pf wood edge there the width of the pf.
For the magnet, cut a circle that is maybe 2 cm wider in diameter (so it extends 1 cm. out from the magnet edge) than the magnet core itself, apply it centered over the magnet, and then using a razor knife carefully cut away the portion that is covering the magnet (cut in the gap between the magnet core and the pf). First check that the magnet core itself is level with the pf. If it is noticeably higher or lower than the pf, adjust it's height before applying the mylar (some mechanism under the pf for that).
I'd also do the shooter lane, just cut a rectangular piece that covers the section of the lane that the ball shoots into when fed from the trough, including into the trough hole itself as this area gets smashed with the higher power coil they are using there.
For the ramp drops, just cut a small square big enough to cover the precise section where the ball drops from the ramps.
Good luck and congratulations!

There is a cliffy that has been designed for the scoop now.

#13881 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

What would have been slightly better in terms of inserts would have been to have the airlock 2 shot have a 2nd chestburster light rather than another hugger insert. Give a guy some options - plus when trying to work towards the save newt you have to make the mother shot to get either of those shots and its a hugger shot already.

If you look back over the evolution of this game (somewhere in this 13,000 message thread) you'll see that originally, the Chestburster lane had a controllable drop target and a magnet, and there was to be some trickery to make it sometimes appear that the ball was bursting through a chest (the target). Those devices were only in that one lane, thus the single location/insert for the Chestburster shot and insert.

Misc. non-obvious rules trivia: when Facehugger is the currently lit Lifecycle shot, the points awarded for the shot are multiplied by the Vent number... i.e. Vent 1/Mother = 1x points, Vent 2 = 2x points, Vent 3 = 3x points.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Can you provide a medium setting? That makes it need two inductive switch hits in X time. In other words a shot up the lane but without enough oompf shoul go over tHe switch then back down the switch?
This would eliminate the freebie from the pops, but allow a shoot kwith almost the oompf to still count.

That's an interesting idea. Sure, I can experiment with adding that as an option, thanks for the thought.

#13882 6 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

From cliffy protectors? Or from heighway?

#13883 6 years ago

Where can I get it?

#13884 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

As I stated, I did it. No clarity issues(with game off you could "maybe" tell, but on a lit screen no way). You will, however, have clarity issues after a ball rolls over it a few thousand times without protection, hence the mylar. To each his own. I did the same thing on my Congo and it's worked out great. If the game is going on location I would 100% do it. If your screen looses a screw and dips a little and it gets 100 plays on it before you notice you'll be bummed.

Where do you get Mylar big enough for the screen? I wonder too what shape the scoop Mylar should be cut to?

#13885 6 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Where do you get Mylar big enough for the screen? I wonder too what shape the scoop Mylar should be cut to?

TAP Plastics or an equivalent type of store.

#13886 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

think pinball restore is where I bought a roll of good mylar

correct. there is good mylar, and not so good shitty mylar..

#13887 6 years ago

Are regulars or Le's machines shipping or both?

#13888 6 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Are regulars or Le's machines shipping or both?

Regs only afaik

#13889 6 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

Regs only afaik

So the standard models can also come with the beacons? I guess so...

#13890 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yeah if you pay some extra monies

#13891 6 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

Yeah if you pay some extra monies

gonna put some roman glass lovin' in ? you could drive there and pick it up almost...

btw, the machine looks beautiful, grats.

#13892 6 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Where do you get Mylar big enough for the screen?

I bought a big roll off of ebay and just cut pieces to fit whatever.

#13893 6 years ago

Andrew, any new youtube videos showing the factory planned? It would be great to see the assembly lines again and how things have changed since the last vid (hopefully). I enjoyed seeing the equipment and factory a couple months ago. Pretty much why i ordered a LE. It is really interesting to me and likely the community seeing the progress.

#13894 6 years ago

For Alien owners, does the code is deep? How much Multiballs, mini or normal Wizard modes and normals modes?
Thx

#13895 6 years ago

I have an old piece of mylar i have been cutting up over the years... can someone tell me the size of the screen, so i know if i have enough..

#13896 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

To credit Ferret stellar work with the games code/lighting, watching the intro to self destruct you almost don't even need the beacons the lighting effects he has programmed are "that" good!

#13897 6 years ago

Does this mean that it will be added at the shop or extra? Will there be a package to address the MYLAR requirements and other useful items? Just makes it easier, I like easier.

#13898 6 years ago
Quoted from Shadrac:

For Alien owners, does the code is deep? How much Multiballs, mini or normal Wizard modes and normals modes?

Each movie represented (Alien and Aliens) has 4 regular modes + 1 mini-wizard mode. The mini-wizard modes start as single-ball but convert to multiballs if you get to a certain point.

There are 4 "normal" multiballs, plus 1 final wizard mode which is also a multiball.

People may choose to tally all that in slightly different ways (is the final wizard mode a "mode" or a "multiball" or both or other?), but regardless, there's quite a lot to do.

#13899 6 years ago

I am still feeling like this is all a dream that Alien Pinball is coming... and with every delay, I feel the dream is becoming more of one. Checking my email each hour hoping one comes from Andrew saying it's on it's way... fingers crossed the recent one saying it would be "2 weeks" isn't just more of that dream.

#13900 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

If you look back over the evolution of this game (somewhere in this 13,000 message thread) you'll see that originally, the Chestburster lane had a controllable drop target and a magnet, and there was to be some trickery to make it sometimes appear that the ball was bursting through a chest (the target). Those devices were only in that one lane, thus the single location/insert for the Chestburster shot and insert.
Misc. non-obvious rules trivia: when Facehugger is the currently lit Lifecycle shot, the points awarded for the shot are multiplied by the Vent number... i.e. Vent 1/Mother = 1x points, Vent 2 = 2x points, Vent 3 = 3x points.

That's an interesting idea. Sure, I can experiment with adding that as an option, thanks for the thought.

Interesting thanks for the info, found out why that shot felt impossible - it was, the eddy sensor underneith was nfg, i swapped it with one from the right outlane for now so it should register. Also looking there, there are two positions for eddy sensors on the board up the chestburster shot, the lower is empty, and the higher right by the target is the one that wasnt working, is that correct or should the lower have one as well?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,799 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 278 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/278 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.