• 24,654 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by megaladon
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,840 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24654 posts in this topic. You are on page 273 of 494.
#13601 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Which is strange because lighting is about the easiest thing to set up
Woz was terrible too. Had to add lighting kit

Yeah, don't know why they copied WOZ...and then continued it from Full Throttle into Alien. You CAN do some bitchin effects with it though, but it really is too dark for a dark room.

#13602 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yeah, don't know why they copied WOZ...and then continued it from Full Throttle into Alien. You CAN do some bitchin effects with it though, but it really is too dark for a dark room.

Hobbit abandoned the color changing GI, for a fully lit playfield. So JJP realized the need for it.

I understand the motivation for atmosphere, but if the lighting in the game is so dark that you MUST have external light, then why not just make sure the game has enough light under the glass? Even some additional white leds that can go dark as needed for effect, but generally are left on.

#13603 2 years ago

While playing at YEGpin we also noticed another issue where if player one plays Alien, and player two plays Aliens, every skill shot that player one makes on Alien gives him 50 million (instead of what should be 50k, if I'm correct). It really imbalanced the game, but it was pretty consistent and easy to subtract that. Seems like a strange thing to miss in coding, but it wasn't a huge deal.

#13604 2 years ago

What?!?

My wife and I play two player games all the time with any combination of movie selections between us, I've never seen that and can't even imagine how that'd be possible. But I'll do some testing this afternoon and see if I can replicate that with current code.

#13605 2 years ago

Maybe this

Quoted from pingod:

Also have a scoring issue on multiplayer games where it would only show 2 digits of your score per player after ball one.

is related somehow to this

Quoted from aeonblack:

if player one plays Alien, and player two plays Aliens, every skill shot that player one makes on Alien gives him 50 million (instead of what should be 50k, if I'm correct).

Display bug and not actual scoring bug?

#13606 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

What?!?
My wife and I play two player games all the time with any combination of movie selections between us, I've never seen that and can't even imagine how that'd be possible. But I'll do some testing this afternoon and see if I can replicate that with current code.

Not sure, I thought it was definitely something that would have been caught, which is why it struck me as odd. All I know is that we were able to replicate it many times.

It seems as though it is an actual scoring issue and not a display issue, as they were registering as high scores and everything, and they carried right through the game no matter what.

#13607 2 years ago

Also, if need be, after today you can verify that issue with either pingod or libtech as that's who those two machines are going to.

#13608 2 years ago

I remember when aborting the possible extra ball buy-in also wrong player was shown on display. So aborting player 2 for instance the message on display would read player 1. Easy to test, was all 4 games I played on same machine.

#13610 2 years ago

Sounds like the complaint is about offering more story and not tentpole special effect scenes?

#13612 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

But I'll do some testing this afternoon and see if I can replicate that with current code.

Possible bug reported and it gets tested later the same day. Now that's what you call code support

#13613 2 years ago

After so many people hated Prometheus I can't pass any kind of judgement on Covenant because I loved Prometheus and prefer Alien to Aliens so if the film is more cerebral than action packed I'm all for it.

#13614 2 years ago

Ain't no getting around Prometheus sucking. They should make Alien sequels, not try to explain them.

Covenant also killed the chances of us getting a "real" sequel to Aliens, with Ripley and Hicks, so there's that.

#13615 2 years ago

How old is the sample game Cointaker had at Allentown this weekend? I loved playing the game but the flippers seemed very weak and choppy in a Data East kinda way. Have any updates been made that will effect the strength and overall feel ?

#13616 2 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

How old is the sample game Cointaker had at Allentown this weekend? I loved playing the game but the flippers seemed very weak and choppy in a Data East kinda way. Have any updates been made that will effect the strength and overall feel ?

Might we assume this is an earlier Prototype thats been traveling around to shows and not a NIB production?

#13617 2 years ago

Has Cointaker shipped out any of the 20 they were supposed to get?

#13618 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Might we assume this is an earlier Prototype thats been traveling around to shows and not a NIB production?

I was told that it was one of the games that was shipped to TPF- the one with the broken glass.

#13619 2 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Has Cointaker shipped out any of the 20 they were supposed to get?

I thought previously Andrew said the shipment was ready, but the "ball was in their court". Not sure what that meant.

#13620 2 years ago

do you still get the backglass artwork if you get the monitor?

#13621 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Covenant also killed the chances of us getting a "real" sequel to Aliens, with Ripley and Hicks, so there's that.

Colonial Marines doesn't count?

#13622 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I thought previously Andrew said the shipment was ready, but the "ball was in their court". Not sure what that meant.

If there were 20 games on their legs, ready to go - we would have seen them, a photo or video. As this would be the ultimate proof for production having started and a love you note to K.

As it is Cointaker is being asked to pay in full in advance and they have been around for too long to do exactly that.

#13623 2 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

If there were 20 games on their legs, ready to go - we would have seen them, a photo or video. As this would be the ultimate proof for production having started and a love you note to K.
As it is Cointaker is being asked to pay in full in advance and they have been around for too long to do exactly that.

A Letter of Credit is your friend in these situations.

#13624 2 years ago

Nine days ago Andrew posted "their consignment is due to leave very soon"

#13625 2 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

As for the Cointaker shipment - there have been no delays at our end. Please direct any enquiries about the shipment to Cointaker. Their consignment is due to leave very soon in any case.

#13626 2 years ago

It's got an 81% on Rotten Tomatoes...which is pretty damn good for Rotten Tomatoes.

#13627 2 years ago

She's home and almost in, can't wait to give it a proper setup and spend some time with it!
DSC_0047 (resized).JPG

#13628 2 years ago

Posted by magicjumpi aka Roman. Looks like Roman glass, PDI glass will not be sold, used, on Heighway Alien LE's. Quote and link below.

As posted above three weeks ago we were working on a solution for Heighway Pinball.
Due to lacks in communication we or I won`t supply Heighway Pinball with my glass aka Roman´s Glass
or PDI Glass.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alienle-are-you-in-whats-your/page/9#post-3713703

#13630 2 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

While playing at YEGpin we also noticed another issue where if player one plays Alien, and player two plays Aliens, every skill shot that player one makes on Alien gives him 50 million (instead of what should be 50k, if I'm correct). It really imbalanced the game, but it was pretty consistent and easy to subtract that. Seems like a strange thing to miss in coding, but it wasn't a huge deal.

Thanks very much for this bug report. Actually had nothing to do with the skill shots themselves (the code for which hadn't changed in ages) but a totally unrelated buffer-corruption bug when switching players. Happened pretty recently. A fix has been checked in.

And thanks for the excuse to play more of those two-player games with my wife, it had been a couple weeks... (Although when we replicated the bug this afternoon, she was player 1 and was the beneficiary of the 68.5M skill shot, and promptly gloated about how badly she was crushing me...

#13631 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Thanks very much for this bug report. Actually had nothing to do with the skill shots themselves (the code for which hadn't changed in ages) but a totally unrelated buffer-corruption bug when switching players. Happened pretty recently. A fix has been checked in.
And thanks for the excuse to play more of those two-player games with my wife, it had been a couple weeks... (Although when we replicated the bug this afternoon, she was player 1 and was the beneficiary of the 68.5M skill shot, and promptly gloated about how badly she was crushing me...

Thats good to know then,guess the high scores on my game probably aren't legit

#13632 2 years ago

My Alien is home to,to damn tired from the show to take a pic of it in the truck still,lol.
Sleep now

#13633 2 years ago

One thing to note before I forget.
My game the flippers would freeze up,I think it has something to do with the pop bumpers.
Seems to happen when coming out of there,and before it gets to the upper flipper.
It has happened three times that I know of so far. Could be switch related.

#13634 2 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

do you still get the backglass artwork if you get the monitor?

No, it costs extra, you have to ask for it.

#13635 2 years ago

Quoted from Grg:Posted by magicjumpi aka Roman. Looks like Roman glass, PDI glass will not be sold, used, on Heighway Alien LE's. Quote and link below.
As posted above three weeks ago we were working on a solution for Heighway Pinball.
Due to lacks in communication we or I won`t supply Heighway Pinball with my glass aka Roman´s Glass
or PDI Glass.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alienle-are-you-in-whats-your/page/9#post-3713703

Uh, you misquoted him. That situation IS being resolved.

Added over 2 years ago: Edit, seems I have a problem with dates and times. Ignore the above.

#13636 2 years ago

Andrew said in that thread- "I have just picked up on this thread again and want to clarify the whole non-reflective glass / PDI situation.
We do not supply 'PDI' glass on our games. PDI is a USA brand and we do not buy our glass from the USA. Our sales team may have incorrectly put PDI on a few private invoices - but they made a mistake and that won't happen again. We DO however supply Roman-glass on our games. Something got lost in translation with Roman's posts, but Roman is correct that we have not received any sheets of glass from him 'yet' - but his glass WILL be appearing on our games (to those customers who have ordered it) when LEs start shipping.
I hope this clarifies everything."
To which a day later Roman replied in that thread- "The glass which is sold through me or known sources (like PDI) is made in Germany to the highest possible standards...
We are working on a solution for Heighway too and it`s up to them how they´d like to call the glass. In Europe it´s known as Roman´s glass and in the US as PDI glass."

Added over 2 years ago: Seems I have a problem with rates and times, and duplicate posts. Ignore the above.

#13637 2 years ago

Andrew said in that thread- "I have just picked up on this thread again and want to clarify the whole non-reflective glass / PDI situation. We do not supply 'PDI' glass on our games. PDI is a USA brand and we do not buy our glass from the USA. Our sales team may have incorrectly put PDI on a few private invoices - but they made a mistake and that won't happen again. We DO however supply Roman-glass on our games. Something got lost in translation with Roman's posts, but Roman is correct that we have not received any sheets of glass from him 'yet' - but his glass WILL be appearing on our games (to those customers who have ordered it) when LEs start shipping.
I hope this clarifies everything."
To which a day later Roman replied in that thread- "The glass which is sold through me or known sources (like PDI) is made in Germany to the highest possible standards...We are working on a solution for Heighway too and it`s up to them how they´d like to call the glass. In Europe it´s known as Roman´s glass and in the US as PDI glass."

Added over 2 years ago: Seems I have a problem with rates and times, and duplicate posts. Ignore the above.

#13638 2 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

huh ?

Roman stated earlier today.....

"As posted above three weeks ago we were working on a solution for Heighway Pinball.
or PDI Glass. "

#13639 2 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

I haven't misquoted, that was Romans latest post regarding his glass.

Many seem to be in the same situation as you, mk6pin, bemmett, chrisnack etc all have paid for PDI and have the invoice stating so. Astropin replied saying $40 refund to those who paid for PDI/Roman and receive Heighway's version instead. Sounds like he's in the know and the best person to ask.

#13640 2 years ago
Quoted from Grg:

I haven't misquoted, that was Romans latest post regarding his glass.
Many seem to be in the same situation as you, mk6pin, bemmett, chrisnack etc all have paid for PDI and have the invoice stating so. Astropin replied saying $40 refund to those who paid for PDI/Roman and receive Heighway's version instead. Sounds like he's in the know and the best person to ask.

That is what should happen, Astropin was just stating his thoughts, doesn't mean it will happen that way. Not sure what they will do, and given how challenging it's been to get refunds, only time will tell for those still in and that paid for it. Huge bummer though as I believe Romans glass is the best.

#13641 2 years ago

I've had several communications over the weekend and my refund request has been confirmed.

Not processed but at least confirmed. Just wanted to provide an update.

#13642 2 years ago

Seems like more potential buyers are crossing Alien off their list after seeing it at Allentown. But I guess that's to be expected when main gimmick doesn't work and there are other problems. Might be best to stop allowing the public to play Alien at shows until everything actually works as intended.

You get once chance at a first impression and this year's Pinfest was a huge event with a lots of other new releases competing for dollars. I mean, what's it say when a beta-test game like Houdini performs better than a game with years of development behind it like Alien?

#13643 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

main gimmick doesn't work

There's nothing else to the game? That's good to know, I WAS interested but now that I know all you can do is shoot for the big "gimmick" I'm Audi!! I actually thought there was more going on. Thank you for your detailed review.

#13644 2 years ago

I got through the Alien mini-wizard mode Self-Destruct, (at least I'm pretty sure I completed it), on Saturday morning while streaming and I made a highlight of it. Finished the game with 245 million my second best so far. Anyway figured some of you may be interested in seeing it and the awesome light show for the mode, others may want to wait.

SPOILER ALERT Don't watch if you don't want to see one of the mini wizard modes.

#13645 2 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Thats good to know then,guess the high scores on my game probably aren't legit

Hey, the one I put up is!

#13646 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

There's nothing else to the game? That's good to know, I WAS interested but now that I know all you can do is shoot for the big "gimmick" I'm Audi!! I actually thought there was more going on. Thank you for your detailed review.

Some people wont like this game as much as you, dont take it personally...

#13647 2 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

I've had several communications over the weekend and my refund request has been confirmed.

Are you one of the guys that recently bought an Alien and within a couple weeks of having done so asked for a refund? It's hard to keep track but I remember a couple buyers like that posting a lot as of late.

#13648 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I would expect the main gimmick to actually work several years after it was designed and especially when it's on display for buyers to play and evaluate. Not to mention the other issues that frustrated people when it was their turn to play after waiting 20 min in line.

#13649 2 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Some people wont like this game as much as you, dont take it personally...

It was meant as some good Monday morning sarcasm. I thought I'd risk it and not use the sarcasm sign....fail. My bad. Totally wrong again. Cheers and good health "cosmo".

#13650 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Seems like more potential buyers are crossing Alien off their list after seeing it at Allentown. But I guess that's to be expected when main gimmick doesn't work and there are other problems. Might be best to stop allowing the public to play Alien at shows until everything actually works as intended.
You get once chance at a first impression and this year's Pinfest was a huge event with a lots of other new releases competing for dollars. I mean, what's it say when a beta-test game like Houdini performs better than a game with years of development behind it like Alien?

You do realize you are just stating your personal opinion and aren't actually speaking for everyone right? Geeze. In the past 3 or 4 days all you've been doing is saying how much you dislike Alien. We... get... it... you... no... likey... And that's fine. Move on to a different game and be happy with it.

Total opposite end of the spectrum for me. I have my deposit down and was really happy with how Alien played at Pinfest. Not perfect, not a chance as nothing ever is. But it was tons of fun and I can see the potential. I also can't wait to see it in a dimly lit room and have to ability to HEAR it!

Totally not meaning to bash you if it's coming off that way. Just keep seeing you post and think "why doesn't he just accept that he hates the game and move on?". It happens man.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB
There are 24654 posts in this topic. You are on page 273 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside