• 24,632 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,838 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 253 of 493.
#12602 2 years ago

Ya it has been a quite last couple days

#12603 2 years ago

Are 10 standards still heading to CoinTaker this week? I asked them the other day how long to get a standard if I paid in full today and was told 30-40 days.

#12604 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Are 10 standards still heading to CoinTaker this week? I asked them the other day how long to get a standard if I paid in full today and was told 30-40 days.

If that's true I'll go ahead and get a standard for location and just wait on the LE.

#12605 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Without talking to CT yet about this, I can nearly guarantee you this is what happened:

I was #3 in line paid in full back in like - 2nd week of March - pretty much a month ago. You know why I did that? Because TPF happened 1 week after I paid in full, and everyone and their mom that was "on the fence" that attended that show saw Alien and went "holy shit, WTF am I waiting for??? I want it now!!!!" - and the rest of that 10 machine allotment got snatched right up.

Now it's become a long list of those ready to buy and pay full amount up front.

Or something else happened. Who knows.

#12606 2 years ago

Spent some time on Alien last night.

Very very impressed.

#12607 2 years ago

Any news? It's been pretty quiet lately.

#12608 2 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Any news? It's been pretty quiet lately.

Is this the longest announcement to reveal of an LE ever? I mean as a total package, art, El ramps etc. No one knows what it actually looks like right?

Was announced almost 1000 days ago.

#12609 2 years ago

Will Spooky build more pinball machines this year than Aliens are built this year?

#12610 2 years ago

Kind of a shame to see such a kick-ass video of Aliens on the assembly line a month ago only for things to have fallen nearly dead silent here a month later. With Alien Day and the release of Covenant both so close, it would be a major ball drop to miss those release dates.

Unfortunately for Heighway, no matter what they do, someone will bitch; they can't please everyone. I will say my confidence is...shaky right now. Wish we could see some progress. They got incredible exposure at TPF; I sure hope we see some momentum soon.

#12611 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Anyword on the Dave sanders interview?

Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

I just have to review it and post it Derek. Internet was very bad in Italy so I couldn't deal with it - but I'll take care of it this weekend

Seems like such a long time ago, but did the interview ever get posted?

#12612 2 years ago

Ya I am going with no news is good news...but man even I am getting a little antsy.... and I am usually calm

#12613 2 years ago

Just to give you an update on LE art - we have told FOX that we need to hit one of either Alien Day or the release of Alien Covenant for revealing the LE artwork.

This is what everyone is working towards.

Games continue to ship. Tweaks, faults and adjustments learnt from the first batch of games are all being worked on and production is being ramped up.

The delay in posting the Dave Sanders interview is my fault and will be done today.

#12614 2 years ago

In our latest YouTube video, Alien Pinball game designer, Dave Sanders, answers questions from the public about his latest game design, and talks about other game designers that have influenced him over the years

#12615 2 years ago

In our latest YouTube video, Alien Pinball game designer, Dave Sanders, answers questions from the public about his latest game design, and talks about other game designers that have influenced him over the years
» YouTube video

Great video and info. Thanks.

#12616 2 years ago

Dear Heighway,

Please hold my hand and tell me it's OK daily via this thread or I will will freak out even though you are shipping games.

signed,

average internet reactionary

#12617 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Dear Heighway,
Please hold my hand and tell me it's OK daily via this thread or I will will freak out even though you are shipping games.
signed,
average internet reactionary

You might want to see this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-we-need-to-be-nice

#12618 2 years ago

I have to give Andrew the benefit of the doubt at this time

Personally, i appreciate that he will not release these machines until he his happy with the way they play and operate. That will benefit us all in the long run.

No one will be putting more pressure on the situation than Andrew himself, who has to start shipping to make money.

I imagine "approving pinball artwork" is pretty low on Fox's priority list. hopefully , having the movie release deadline will help.

#12619 2 years ago

apologies, that was mean...but come on. "Skaky" confidence? They are shipping games. They post more than any other manufacturer. Real live people have their previous game. Real live people have their current game. They aren't making them fast enough to make some people happy. OK. Fox is dragging their heels approving LE stuff. OK. That doesn't call in to question their entire legitimacy. They go silent for a week or 2....because they are working on shipping the games and people start to freak? That's just silly.

#12620 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

I imagine "approving pinball artwork" is pretty low on Fox's priority list

Why? It's their job. They did it for the Alien pinball Zen app a year ago

image (resized).jpeg

#12621 2 years ago

I think many of you have never worked with large corporations, let alone marketing teams. You just don't get it.

There is nothing speedy or efficient about these processes... period...

#12622 2 years ago

Go to bed nervous.... walk up calm.... game on.... can't wait for alien....

#12623 2 years ago

I will make a personal effort not to go into this thread for the rest of the weekend ..... it does nothing but reil me up..... take a deep breath... let Andrew work 20 hours a day, never sleep, be a nervous wreck; and ship out out an amazing polished game when it's ready...

#12624 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why? It's their job. They did it for the Alien pinball Zen app a year ago

Even Ripley got in there! Cmon Fox!

#12625 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

apologies, that was mean...but come on. "Skaky" confidence? They are shipping games. They post more than any other manufacturer. Real live people have their previous game. Real live people have their current game. They aren't making them fast enough to make some people happy. OK. Fox is dragging their heels approving LE stuff. OK. That doesn't call in to question their entire legitimacy. They go silent for a week or 2....because they are working on shipping the games and people start to freak? That's just silly.

Apology accepted.

I guess with having the "paid in full" status, you naturally want to see results. Doesn't help I'm on vacation and reading the forums religiously. Once I get back to work, the days will pass a lot faster .

#12626 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Im gonna assume Ripley is absent due to money( too expensive) and good riddance, she has nothing to do with why I enjoy the Alien series and if anything ruined certain aspects for me.

#12627 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Clearly Fox isn't the issue if another company was able to get things done.

#12628 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Im gonna assume Ripley is absent due to money( too expensive) and good riddance, she has nothing to do with why I enjoy the Alien series and if anything ruined certain aspects for me.

Get out -_____-

#12629 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I can tell you now that we pushed the boat out with our financial offer to Sigourney's agent. It was substantial and it was rejected. I very much doubt our competitors bettered our offer. But we will never know.

Honestly - I don't care that we didn't get her in the end. Since the beginning of this game, the player is intended to be playing "as Ripley" so it really makes no sense for Ripley to also be interacting with the player. It would have been "nice" to have her - but we really don't feel the game is poorer without her.

#12630 2 years ago

I'm glad there's no Ripley reference/picture on there.

#12631 2 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Spent some time on Alien last night.
Very very impressed.

Was it of this earth?

IMG_1107 (resized).JPG

#12632 2 years ago

I can tell you now that we pushed the boat out with our financial offer to Sigourney's agent. It was substantial and it was rejected. I very much doubt our competitors bettered our offer. But we will never know.
Honestly - I don't care that we didn't get her in the end. Since the beginning of this game, the player is intended to be playing "as Ripley" so it really makes no sense for Ripley to also be interacting with the player. It would have been "nice" to have her - but we really don't feel the game is poorer without her.

Gotta agree on no Ripley...the position this puts the player in is just perfect. You interact with the other characters and ultimately battle the Alien just as in the series. Something else that got glossed over a few posts ago and that is the statement Andrew made about learning lessons and making changes based on the first games that went out. It's refreshing to see an actual human element back into this process and someone admitting they don't know everything there is to know, and are learning as they go. It is what we all do every day, but so few people admit to it any more. Can't wait for the LE's to start shipping!

#12633 2 years ago

My first pinball machine was an Apollo 13 which went through a similar license issue since they couldn't get Tom Hanks to sign off and appear in the game. In that game you play as Hank's character and I don't really think the game suffered as a result. I think Alien is the same way. I think the game will be just fine without Ripley. It makes sense the way Andrew explained it. The important thing is that Heighway is staying true to the theme. I was watching the Blu-Rays a couple week's back and noticing how even the display for the game seemed to mimic the Blu-Ray menus for the movies.

#12634 2 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

I think many of you have never worked with large corporations, let alone marketing teams. You just don't get it.
There is nothing speedy or efficient about these processes... period...

This. You have to bug and bug and bug and be the squeaky wheel and it still moves slowly. Unless they want something from you, then they want it in the next 2 hours.

#12635 2 years ago

IMHO, the thing about Ripley is: she doesn't actually have many awesome lines that would pump you up while playing. Yes, I, and probably everyone, would love the "Get away from her, you bitch!" line. But other than that, how many other iconic, exciting Ripley quotes jump to your mind? For me, her next best quote would be "nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure" ... but the way she actually says that in the film is very calm and slow, good atmosphere, but it doesn't build excitement.

#12636 2 years ago

I can tell you now that we pushed the boat out with our financial offer to Sigourney's agent. It was substantial and it was rejected. I very much doubt our competitors bettered our offer.

Just curious....then what do you think the problem was? She was on other pinball stuff....

#12637 2 years ago

Seems like Highway is stuck in a catch 22 right now. Need money to get more hands on deck and really crank games out while at the same time needing to really crank up the manufacturing and ship a lot of games in order to bring in more cash.

#12638 2 years ago

Thanks for the video, lots of good stuff in there - you could tell he wanted to basically say "licensing sucks!" but refrained. The point he mentioned about people in the licensing department changing and with that what you can and can't do changing makes perfect sense and has to be incredibly frustrating. I've been in product development (a very small wheel in a much bigger machine but still) and even dealing with these kind of changes (not licensing related in my case) from our own marketing department while in the middle of design was absolutely maddening.

I also appreciate that they tried to get S.W.'s rights to use Ripley - who knows why the economics of her on pinball versus a video game is different. Maybe it's perception, maybe it's a percentage of product sale price (i.e. 10% of a video game is a lot less $$ than 10% of a pinball machine on a per-unit basis), or maybe her agent changed and the new one is a prick. I think her 2nd best quote (behind "you bitch" is when she tells Hicks that Newt has survived all alone, etc. - but that's too long to use in a game and is completely trumped by Hick's reply "Why don't we put her in charge then?!?!?", so not as big a loss as I originally thought it would be.

#12639 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think her 2nd best quote (behind "you bitch" is when she tells Hicks that Newt has survived all alone, etc. - but that's too long to use in a game and is completely trumped by Hick's reply "Why don't we put her in charge then?!?!?", so not as big a loss as I originally thought it would be.

Hudson, sir.

Hudson (resized).jpg

He's Hicks:

Hicks (resized).jpg

#12640 2 years ago

The only thing i need in the game is the Aliens.

#12641 2 years ago

The "you're playing AS Ripley" angle is still pretty weak.

Imagine these pinball machines with the main character replaced by the player.

T2 WITHOUT Arnold.
Nightmare on Elm Street WITHOUT Freddy.
Apollo 13 WITHOUT Tom Hanks.
The Avengers WITHOUT Hulk.
Tron Legacy WITHOUT Flynn.
Demolition Man WITHOUT Stallone.
Star Wars WITHOUT Luke.
Addams Family WITHOUT Gomez.
The Shadow WITHOUT Alec.
Kiss WITHOUT Gene.
TBL WITHOUT The Dude.
Iron Man WITHOUT Stark.
Jurassic Park WITHOUT T-Rex.
Batman WITHOUT Batman.

etc...

That being said. The Game is still really amazing in spite of its main, beloved character being absent.

#12642 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

etc...
That being said. The Game is still really amazing in spite of its main, beloved character being absent.

Quoted from MikeS:

My first pinball machine was an Apollo 13 which went through a similar license issue since they couldn't get Tom Hanks to sign off and appear in the game. In that game you play as Hank's character and I don't really think the game suffered as a result. I think Alien is the same way. I think the game will be just fine without Ripley. It makes sense the way Andrew explained it. The important thing is that Heighway is staying true to the theme. I was watching the Blu-Rays a couple week's back and noticing how even the display for the game seemed to mimic the Blu-Ray menus for the movies.

Apollo 13 didn't have approval from Tom Hanks. The game was just fine without him since you played as the Tom Hank's character (Jim Lovell).

#12643 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Seems like they tried their best, then did the best with what they had to work with. In the end, this game just has to get out the door.

#12644 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Seems like they tried their best, then did the best with what they had to work with. In the end, this game just has to get out the door.

and the game is getting rave reviews!! I understand the glass half empty mindset by some people though...I have it myself most of the time.

#12645 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

and the game is getting rave reviews!! I understand the glass half empty mindset by some people though...I have it myself most of the time.

The glass is refillable!

#12646 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Despite not having Ripley, the game still feels more true to the theme than most games these days. For example:

TWD with Hillbilly GWB voicework
GOT with terrible artwork that doesn't resemble anything in the GOT universe
TSPP which has no sound clips or animations fo many of the primary characters including Marge, Lisa and Maggie
IJ4 with the terrible Sean Connery impersonator
NASCAR with the worst Sammy Hagar impersonation I've ever heard..
Star Trek Karl Urban voicework
The list goes on and on...

I'm extremely happy with what I've seen out of Alien thus far and how well it integrates with the theme.

#12647 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

T2 WITHOUT Arnold.
Nightmare on Elm Street WITHOUT Freddy.
The Avengers WITHOUT Hulk.
Tron Legacy WITHOUT Flynn.
Demolition Man WITHOUT Stallone.
Star Wars WITHOUT Luke.
Addams Family WITHOUT Gomez.
The Shadow WITHOUT Alec.
Kiss WITHOUT Gene.
TBL WITHOUT The Dude.
Iron Man WITHOUT Stark.
Jurassic Park WITHOUT T-Rex.
Batman WITHOUT Batman.
etc...

While I would prefer Sigourney in the game no doubt, most of these analogies don't fit. She may have been the main actor, but let's be real, the ALIENS are the main character in this context, not Ripley.

#12648 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Despite not having Ripley, the game still feels more true to the theme than most games these days. For example:
TWD with Hillbilly GWB voicework
GOT with terrible artwork that doesn't resemble anything in the GOT universe
TSPP which has no sound clips or animations fo many of the primary characters including Marge, Lisa and Maggie
IJ4 with the terrible Sean Connery impersonator
NASCAR with the worst Sammy Hagar impersonation I've ever heard..
Star Trek Karl Urban voicework
The list goes on and on...
I'm extremely happy with what I've seen out of Alien thus far and how well it integrates with the theme.

No one's litigating Ripley anymore. It's done and I think most are happy with how the license was used. That's not the issue. The issue is the delays...and IMO those blaming Fox for the delays are misguided.

#12649 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

the worst Sammy Hagar impersonation I've ever heard..

to be fair, that seems like a niche market

#12650 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

IMHO, the thing about Ripley is: she doesn't actually have many awesome lines that would pump you up while playing. Yes, I, and probably everyone, would love the "Get away from her, you bitch!" line. But other than that, how many other iconic, exciting Ripley quotes jump to your mind? For me, her next best quote would be "nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure" ... but the way she actually says that in the film is very calm and slow, good atmosphere, but it doesn't build excitement.

Nuke From Orbit (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
There are 24632 posts in this topic. You are on page 253 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside