• 24,674 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24674 posts in this topic. You are on page 247 of 494.
#12301 2 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Q: What is the link to the page for software updates?
I'm excited about the Alien machine but the web page could really use some work.
Nothing fancy, just updated photos of the machine and a page with links to the manual, software updates, and comparison matrix.
There should be a SUPPORT link in this ribbon with software update.

NOT going to happen anytime soon. Even the phone number on their webpage is incorrect! Dial it. You get a number has changed message! I know they have their hands full over there but not updating your web page is akin to not unlocking the front door of your store during business hours...

#12302 2 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Andrew hinted that the fiber optics should be revealed in the next few weeks. I've done some more research on fiber optic lighting and I think the $800 may be a fair price. Of course you can get single color fiber optics for about $150, but color changing fiber optics (as I believe Andrew said Alien will have) is MUCH more expensive. I found some consumer grade color changing fiber optic kits for about $750 online. Add R&D costs and profit or whatnot and their pricing seems reasonable. Now whether is adds $800 in greatness to the game...guess we'll see. I want to order the pin NOW but I may wait until the FO is revealed. If I recall correctly that is one option that cannot be added later, like a shaker or EL side art can be. IF the FO turns into a must have for me, I'm going to consider ditching the 27" LCD to help cover the cost. After about a dozen games this weekend I realized I rarely looked at the backbox screen while playing (except between balls) and NEVER looked at the PF LCD, once.
Well that's not entirely true, several times the seam at the bottom of the screen grabbed my ball and it 'magically' traveled horizontally across the PF. The first two times it happened I thought there was a magnet underneath that moved left and right, so much so that I inspected under the PF for one! I hope that's a small QC problem (flushing the screen to the PF) that Heighway can address.
Here's a few additional pics for your enjoyment. I must say the illuminated cabinet art is so spectacular it really must be displayed at the end of a row to be enjoyed by everyone!

Seems high to me. Eli's mod for Tron costs about $400.

#12303 2 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

Seems high to me. Eli's mod for Tron costs about $400.

Eli isn't building pinball machines with huge overhead

If people don't like it they can buy the LE or make your own

#12304 2 years ago

I'm trying to envision in my head what the Fiber lighting will look like on the game and it's hard to picture. Will the light tubes just be installed on the plastic portions of the ramps or will they attach to the metal ramps and the metal habitrail on the right side as well? If it's on the metal I'm curious as to how it will be attached as there aren't any obvious mount points and it's unlike a plastic ramp where you can drill holes and use zip ties. I'm sure it will be cool whatever they come up with but the layout and configuration of the ramps on this game are quite a bit different from games we've seen in the past with all plastic continuous ramps like Tron and Full Throttle that used fiber lighting.

Alien-playfield-top-1 (resized).jpg

#12305 2 years ago

I was really hoping that the LE artwork would be focused specifically on "Aliens", featuring the queen & blue hues throughout. No greens whatsoever, let that be the standard edition. Considering both films are part of the game, I think Aliens would have been a pretty cool look for the LE. I thought the blue trim option was an obvious clue.

But it seems they went in a different direction, going with the "35th anniversary edition" of Alien for the LE. Maybe this is what FOX demanded. I'm not sure. I do like the open jawed queen on the side panel tho. Not sure about both the blue & green hues on what they showed, but it does match the playfield. I'm sure they'll come up with something cool.

Fingers still crossed for exclusive blue hued Aliens package on the LE Blue & black is just a killer look IMO.

#12306 2 years ago

Just an opinion, but I think a good approach for the LE cabinet art would be to use illustration based images, similar to what aurich has included on the playfield (vs the photo cabinet art as per the Standard), this would be a way to differentiate the look of the LE and standard without taking away from either.

#12307 2 years ago

I'm in for a standard, so the news I really want to hear is something about large numbers shipping. I'm sure aurich has the le art nailed.

#12308 2 years ago

I just noticed how HP have recesses the legs into the cabinet. Great idea! Nicer than the curved bent leg wearing the paint off the cabinet corner or just using a plastic spacer as a solution.

#12309 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'm trying to envision in my head what the Fiber lighting will look like on the game and it's hard to picture. Will the light tubes just be installed on the plastic portions of the ramps or will they attach to the metal ramps and the metal habitrail on the right side as well? If it's on the metal I'm curious as to how it will be attached as there aren't any obvious mount points and it's unlike a plastic ramp where you can drill holes and use zip ties. I'm sure it will be cool whatever they come up with but the layout and configuration of the ramps on this game are quite a bit different from games we've seen in the past with all plastic continuous ramps like Tron and Full Throttle that used fiber lighting.

IIRC, Andrew indicated they'd do more than just follow the ramps like many other games do. We'll see soon enough. IIRC, he also said he'd like to see the queens head (or was it the queen that used to be in the airlock?) do more in the future, move or otherwise be more interactive. In my mind at the time I wondered if changes like that would be backwards compatible with games already shipped. It was apparent that Andrew has great passion for this title and wants to build as perfect a pin as possible. I'm convinced now more than ever that he's the right guy and the right company to make what is my grail pin!

#12310 2 years ago

Look what followed me home from TPF!

...still need to unpack everything else. Will put a few games on later tonight and then jump back on here later
To discuss.

IMG_3351 (resized).JPG

#12311 2 years ago

^^ dang, nothing good ever follows me home.

congrats, and we won't expect you to update your collection until next weekend.

#12312 2 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

...still need to unpack everything else. Will put a few games on later tonight and then jump back on here later
To discuss.

Awesome! Xeno head action shots with some idea of what mode/mission uses the head "please"

#12313 2 years ago

Was this a new in box game or one of the show floor games?

#12314 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

we won't expect you to update your collection until next weekend

Just updated. I'm pretending to work today, but really just decompressing from TPF - brousing Pinside.

Quoted from chucksmith:

Awesome! Xeno head action shots with some idea of what mode/mission uses the head "please"

I have not had time to learn all the modes - only put in a few games last night. I do know it is used in the 'Queens nest' mode, and you can also start a multi-ball by bashing it enough.

Quoted from PinBalt:

Was this a new in box game or one of the show floor games?

It was a show floor game. Here's the story. I knew several months back I wanted to add an ALIEN to my colletion. HOWEVER - I just don't do the 'pre-pay' thing. There is no way I'm dropping several thousand $$'s and then just crossing my fingers hoping a game shows up someday. So, I had contacted both Andrew and Melissa several times in the months/weeks leading up to the show, and let them know I would be bringing CASH. I had originally hoped to get one NIB - untouched by human hands - but Andrew was only able to get three machines ready for the show and wanted all three on the floor. In hindsight - this was a blessing in disguise. ...why?

Well, the Cointaker folks were nice enough to let me pick a game and un-box it. Unfortunately, the game I picked was damadged during shipping. The glass shattered, and those little diamonds were EVERYWHERE in the game, and slightly scratched the playfield. Good thing I hadn't just taken that one home. From there, my choice was between two machines. I played a few times over the weekend, and watched - both seemed to play great. On Sunday, I noticed the playfield LCD had sunk a bit on one of the games. It was causing the ball to 'jump' over that ledge - and occasionally got hung up there (I think someone mentioned this above). Those LCD's are adjustable so that's not a big problem, but on closer inspection I noticed a small chip in the paint/clear on that edge - so that made my choice pretty easy.

Andrew was great. Before taking it home, he went over the game with me - helped me tear it down and pack it up. Needless to say I was VERY excited to get home and set it up. Sorry if I blew past some folks on I-45 - left lane is for PASSING ONLY. ...anyway.

Let me tell you - playing this game at TPF (or any loud, bright venue) does not do this game justice. Get it in a dark, quiet place and it really SHINES!~! The lightshow and sounds are on-par with the best machines out there (if not better IMHO).

I have not had a chance to make any adjustments yet. The airlock scoop needs to be tweaked so it doesn't fire SDTM, and I'm going to gap the switches on the pops and slings - oh - and I'm most certainly going to adjust the left outlane post.

Overall, I could not be more happy or excited about my purchase.

IMG_3242 (resized).JPG
IMG_3245 (resized).JPG

#12315 2 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

To discuss.

I asked Andrew to buy one of the three games while I was there. He told me all three were spoken for, wonder who got the other two? Lucky dogs!

#12316 2 years ago

I also wonder ....IMG_0560 (resized).JPG

#12317 2 years ago

You guys are making me jealous! I'm hoping the wait for my Standard isn't too long. It sounds like the games' held up well over the weekend which should hopefully mean full-speed ahead on getting more games produced! I'm excited to own a game that was such a passion project for Andrew and his team. This is going to shine in a home environment with the sound cranked up!

#12318 2 years ago

It was great to meet the Highway team and play Alien at TPF this weekend. I think Alien is an incredible overall package. The lights, sounds, callouts, screen, modes, shots, etc...the geometry and shots are different and I think that's great because it will stand out from the Sterns and Bally/Williams games I have.

I got to see the LE side art and the options they are thinking about and they both look awesome. Andrew is really nice and engaging person and I love the way his team communicates and interacts with the community. I think they have a lot of passion for what they're doing and it really shows.

I asked Andrew about the location of the fiber optic on the ramps and it's going to be on the long return lane on the left and the return on the right...on the plastic portion and not the wireform. He said in his talk that these fiber optics will do some things not done in pinball before.

Looking forward to LE #115 and future kits from them.

#12319 2 years ago

Had a lot of fun playing Alien at TPF this weekend.

Question on the glass- will any regular piece of widebody glass work? I was surprised they never replaced the glass on the machine whose sheet broke during shipping; there were multiple vendors on the floor/swap meet selling glass... unless it just happened that no one had widebody sheets.

Did get a pretty good laugh once when someone exclaimed how incredible clear the glass looked on the left machine, and then someone stuck their hand into the machine in response. Now that's invisiglass!!!

#12320 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Question on the glass- will any regular piece of widebody glass work? I was surprised they never replaced the glass on the machine whose sheet broke during shipping; there were multiple vendors on the floor/swap meet selling glass... unless it just happened that no one had widebody sheets.
Did get a pretty good laugh once when someone exclaimed how incredible clear the glass looked on the left machine, and then someone stuck their hand into the machine in response. Now that's invisiglass!!!

I'm pretty sure they confirmed that it used standard widebody glass mounted within the frame.

#12321 2 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I asked Andrew about the location of the fiber optic on the ramps and it's going to be on the long return lane on the left and the return on the right...on the plastic portion and not the wireform. He said in his talk that these fiber optics will do some things not done in pinball before.

That makes more sense on the fiber optics vs. trying to run them over the ramps and habitrail. I didn't order them on my standard but I hope for all you LE folks that it turns out to be a cool addition. I'm excited to see what they come up with!

#12322 2 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

On Sunday, I noticed the playfield LCD had sunk a bit on one of the games. It was causing the ball to 'jump' over that ledge - and occasionally got hung up there (I think someone mentioned this above). Those LCD's are adjustable so that's not a big problem, but on closer inspection I noticed a small chip in the paint/clear on that edge - so that made my choice pretty easy.

The clear chipping around the window is kind of concerning. Did the team notice this or have anything to say about it? Did it look like it was caused only because the display was misleveled?

#12323 2 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Let me tell you - playing this game at TPF (or any loud, bright venue) does not do this game justice. Get it in a dark, quiet place and it really SHINES!~! The lightshow and sounds are on-par with the best machines out there (if not better IMHO).

Congratulations!

I have chatted with Andrew about the lighting in the Past, as the game was progressing, and can share that the RGB Bulbs used for the Game were a Superior Choice!

The game is insane in that department, and at home, well, I couldnt agree with you more!

#12324 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

The clear chipping around the window is kind of concerning. Did the team notice this or have anything to say about it? Did it look like it was caused only because the display was misleveled?

I'm planning to put mylar down over all exposed edges of the playfield and in front of the scoop and over the playfield magnet and above the drain hole. I'll put a mylar sheet down over the playfield display as well so that it covers all edges. I have a WPT that has a small chip on the playfield display (in the plastic) so it can really happen with any game. It's cheap protection just in-case.

#12325 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Yeah screen was re-leveled, it's similar to what I've seen happen on some Congo and CFTBL games as well. Very small and hard to see because it's in a dark spot but for now I'm going to Mylar it and call it good. I'm not the type to get bent out of shape about little cosmetics. Andrew pointed it out showed me how to adjust that level of screen, really easy as it's just four screws, and I'm sure if worse case scenario it does start to bother me I'm guessing Andrew would help me get a replacement.

This one will be going on location in Springfield, MO for a few weeks until I can get down there to pick it up. I left straight from TPF to go to Florida for my spring break and will pick it up here in April then it will be on location in Lafayette, IN so anyone wanting to get some time on it you have some options.

#12326 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

To answer some glass question...that's what Andrew told me:

"Our game uses normal "widebody" sized glass.

Therefore you can always use aftermarket widebody glass, such as PDI, if you wish."

#12327 2 years ago

my FT was doing the same thing, air balls off the play-field lcd , by the time i figured it out my plastic over one of the ramps was broken. Andrew was quick to reply through our email conversation and trouble shoot , In the end it was super easy to level and heighway sent me out a new plastic to replace the broken one. my play-field showed no signs of chipping.

#12328 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Yes, I pointed it out to Andrew, and he took a picture of the area with his phone. And yes, it was 100% due to the LCD being slightly lower than the playfield. Everytime the ball would hit that spot (pretty much every ball that returned to the flippers), it would slam that exposed edge and airball off it. Honestly, I am surprised the playfield didn't suffer more damage. Now I know that keeping that LCD level in the playfield is pretty important.

#12329 2 years ago

Isn't there a separate acrylic window sat on a routed ledge then? that's how I would picture it ( but not seen one up close ), just thinking it strange you can level the top layer.

#12330 2 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

On Sunday, I noticed the playfield LCD had sunk a bit on one of the games. It was causing the ball to 'jump' over that ledge - and occasionally got hung up there (I think someone mentioned this above). Those LCD's are adjustable so that's not a big problem, but on closer inspection I noticed a small chip in the paint/clear on that edge - so that made my choice pretty easy.

Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yeah screen was re-leveled, it's similar to what I've seen happen on some Congo and CFTBL games as well. Very small and hard to see because it's in a dark spot but for now I'm going to Mylar it and call it good. I'm not the type to get bent out of shape about little cosmetics. Andrew pointed it out showed me how to adjust that level of screen, really easy as it's just four screws, and I'm sure if worse case scenario it does start to bother me I'm guessing Andrew would help me get a replacement.

Interestingly enough I was in line to play when the LCD thing was discovered, and there Andrew was with a screwdriver working furiously to fix it.

(These attached pics don't show Andrew fixing it, but he came by just a little bit later)

Also a vid of the game before playing it (one of the other machines)

IMG_1256 (resized).JPG

IMG_1257 (resized).JPG

#12331 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Isn't there a separate acrylic window sat on a routed ledge then? that's how I would picture it ( but not seen one up close ), just thinking it strange you can level the top layer.

Im surprised it isnt this way as well. LCD should mount flush to it, but the acrylic window should be flush with the playfield.

#12332 2 years ago

What is the size of the playfield LCD ?

#12333 2 years ago

Everything about the game seemed great. Aside from wishing the volume was louder, I do have one small critical gameplay comment.

I feel like when you make a ramp shot, you shouldn't be punished.

On the last game I played after two made ramps, the ball somehow escaped out of the left return and went into that outlane area with the posts. Super disappointing. Maybe I just had some bad luck, but on two consecutive balls (2 & 3) it was a disappointment and led to a shorter experience. Guessing this is good news for operators with the shorter ball times But maybe it was just one of those games where shit goes sideways. A few more games I'd be able to give better perspective on the left side drain issue.

ETA: With SunKing's info, now I understand why one of the three games was being played without playfield glass. I only got to play that one (twice during the whole weekend). If I'd have known about the issue, I'd have let others by to play it and waited for one with glass on it.

On the second time, that wasn't possible. I assume it was SunKing who said to me "sorry to do this to you" and turned off the machine on the right, which is the one I was set to play.

Can't really say whether I'm in on Alien or not yet... hope to play it more in the future and figure it out. So far not an insta-buy... but contemplating a buy.

#12334 2 years ago

The more I see the more I like everything about it.

#12335 2 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

I feel like when you make a ramp shot, you shouldn't be punished.
On the last game I played after two made ramps, the ball somehow escaped out of the left return and went into that outlane area with the posts. Super disappointing.

This happend to me a few times also - HOWEVER - I think I have an easy fix. I noticed that the left outlane post is wide open (as you would expect from factory). In fact, it's so far in that it partially sits under the ramp hole. I think the ball is glancing off that inlane post rubber and bouncing around a bit. I plan to tighten the outlanes, and expect this problem to go away as a result. I'm going to be tweaking the game tonight, so I'll let y'all know if it works.

Quoted from chadderack:

I assume it was SunKing who said to me "sorry to do this to you" and turned off the machine on the right, which is the one I was set to play.

Yeah, that's me in the orange shirt. We were adjusting the playfield LCD on the game that had the chipped playfield. I turned off the other game because that's the one I was taking home, and needed to hit the road ASAP. ....sorry again.

#12336 2 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

This happend to me a few times also - HOWEVER - I think I have an easy fix. I noticed that the left outlane post is wide open (as you would expect from factory). In fact, it's so far in that it partially sits under the ramp hole. I think the ball is glancing off that inlane post rubber and bouncing around a bit. I plan to tighten the outlanes, and expect this problem to go away as a result. I'm going to be tweaking the game tonight, so I'll let y'all know if it works.

Yeah, that's me in the orange shirt. We were adjusting the playfield LCD on the game that had the chipped playfield. I turned off the other game because that's the one I was taking home, and needed to hit the road ASAP. ....sorry again.

No worries

#12337 2 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

And yes, it was 100% due to the LCD being slightly lower than the playfield.

So your screen was SunK in? ...sorry I'll get my coat.

#12338 2 years ago

I guess Dave likes a bit of randomness as part of the overall game balance? I get random drains down the left outlane on my Full Throttle too.

#12339 2 years ago

jeeze i feel like i am gonna be unboxing my le come around christmas time.

#12340 2 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

To discuss.

Quoted from Tsskinne:

I also wonder ....

So did either of you get the face huggers for the slings? I know there was only one pair between the three games. Who got game three? I'd have taken it because I just happen to have a spare piece of glass and a FEW scratches might not have bothered me or maybe polished out. Congrats to both of you!

#12341 2 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

So did either of you get the face huggers for the slings?

Tsskinne did. I have mine, and may install them tonight. I'm not sure what happened to game #3.

Quoted from sed6:

Congrats to both of you!

Thanks!

#12342 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

Nah, I bet everyone who's ordered already will have them way before then. Peeps who order later and don't pay in full and wait for cargo shipping will wait the longest. Good news is anyone can pay in full for a Standard today and have it in hand probably before any LE's ship. I'm debating between a Standard and LE right now and the big difference in time between delivery for the two is playing a roll in that decision.

#12343 2 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Nah, I bet everyone who's ordered already will have them way before then. Peeps who order later and don't pay in full and wait for cargo shipping will wait the longest. Good news is anyone can pay in full for a Standard today and have it in hand probably before any LE's ship. I'm debating between a Standard and LE right now and the big difference in time between delivery for the two is playing a roll in that decision.

i am gonna get a ft playfield and all the bells and whistles on the le. we are already in april almost. this year is flying by very fast. cant see les shipping till after mid-year. the one good thing i see is that heighway makes alot of the art themselves so that will speed up the process.

#12344 2 years ago

When I see rows of Alien pins being packed up...
DK+3+82 (resized).png

#12345 2 years ago

I had a broken glass situation at a show with my Full Throttle. Could be random, but maybe Heighway needs an upgrade on packaging & shipping.

#12346 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

Honestly, I'd be happy if I was unboxing my LE at Christmas time. I hope I'm wrong, but FOX is just taking their sweet old time on the approval process! I'd like to call whoever is doing the art review and bug them every day until they finally approve it! haha!

I'm hoping for 2017, but we shall see...

Brian

#12347 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

The "upside" to that statement is there will be a lot of games out there blazing the trail before yours. It will have the benefit of everything learned along the way, and will be a more complete and solid game.

#12348 2 years ago
Quoted from conester:

Honestly, I'd be happy if I was unboxing my LE at Christmas time. I hope I'm wrong, but FOX is just taking their sweet old time on the approval process! I'd like to call whoever is doing the art review and bug them every day until they finally approve it! haha!
I'm hoping for 2017, but we shall see...
Brian

The hold up will be the ramp lighting.

#12349 2 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I guess Dave likes a bit of randomness as part of the overall game balance? I get random drains down the left outlane on my Full Throttle too.

The skip is something I intend to fix with a tweak to the end section of the platform, it's happening because the ball comes down the left ramp much faster on average than it did before.

#12350 2 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

The skip is something I intend to fix with a tweak to the end section of the platform, it's happening because the ball comes down the left ramp much faster on average than it did before.

A similar thing happens on a hobbit a friend of mine has. The right wire form causes the ball to spin from the inlane to the outlane. Super frustrating when it happens, but that's pinball. If it was my game id be right in there tweaking to get it working "properly", but some people don't mind...

Still worth trying to minimize it as much as possible!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
There are 24674 posts in this topic. You are on page 247 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside