• 24,687 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Durzel
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 494.
#1151 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Full Throttle has much more of a European target. Motorcycle racing theme in America? I don't think it matters how good the game is, I think the theme is a turn off for most. Kind of like Mustang.

I agree, not that it won't sell in the US and Canada but Aliens is the pin that's going to really put Heighway on the map. I might buy a FullT playfield down the road but for now its all about those green blooded bastards, can't wait.

#1152 3 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

No Lebowski on your shortlist Tiger?
Awesome prospect anyway with that list, .

I'm actually taking a wait and see approach on Lebowski. I'm more into fantasy and sci fi themes but I'm certainly going to give Lebowski a shot.

Alien is such a great theme and the coloration scheme for the art is going to look unique (dark green and yello is going to be hot).

#1153 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm actually taking a wait and see approach on Lebowski. I'm more into fantasy and sci fi themes but I'm certainly going to give Lebowski a shot.
Alien is such a great theme and the coloration scheme for the art is going to look unique (dark green and yello is going to be hot).

Heres the thing about lebowski, it feels like a premium pin that's worth the money.

#1154 3 years ago

This has likely been answered before, but are all the Alien LEs sold out?

#1155 3 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

No

#1156 3 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Might happen after the next reveal, depending on how much the public is allowed to see.
Playfield shots, toys, final art....that may trigger a couple hundred sells, despite having every pinsider calling preorders for dead at this point

#1157 3 years ago

Aurich you tease! Can't wait to hear more juicy details

Especially looking forward to the LE reveal. Am in for #157, the number of souls who perished at Hadley's Hope...

#1158 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

We're at a stage where it's not really up to us. But I happen to agree that it's probably best to let Full Throttle have a little spotlight time. The early reports on it from Pintastic were really positive, give people a little time to get to know what Heighway is doing. First customer games should be showing up soon I think. I haven't even played it myself, and I'd like to.

I'll say this: The extra time for Alien is really a good thing, it's allowed for some space to iterate and improve the playfield. I think people are going to really dig the next reveal of the design, whenever that is, because there are more shots now, better flow, more toys, more interaction, etc. The design has been refined. I just got the latest CAD file yesterday, and I'm loving the tweaks from even the last version I had.

Both Andrew and I are huge fans of the movies. More than anything we want to get it right.

The art process is taking longer than anyone would like. It's slower than I would like. But I think we all know by now that pinball can be like that, especially with a license. There's no drama, it's just the process playing out.

I'm probably getting into speaking for Andrew territory here, so I'll stop, but hang in there guys, we're going to do our best to make a great game.

#1159 3 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

While " no" is correct for now, I can't imagine it will stay that way long...while everything is interchangeable, certainly not the artwork.....they will sell out, just a question of how many spots are actually left.

#1160 3 years ago

I mean, sure, I'd love to say this game I'm working on already has the LEs sold out, but to be honest in a funny way I'm glad they're not. No one has really seen the game yet. I'd like to think that we earn the orders from the work, not just picking the theme, if that makes sense.

#1161 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I mean, sure, I'd love to say this game I'm working on already has the LEs sold out, but to be honest in a funny way I'm glad they're not. No one has really seen the game yet. I'd like to think that we earn the orders from the work, not just picking the theme, if that makes sense.

It does, and I respect that.....given the bullshit this community has had to endure on other fronts, it's truly a breath of fresh air every time I go through the Heighway threads.....I actually believe it will be much harder for the game to " not" kick ass, than the other way around.
Reveals will come, remaining LE's will evaporate quickly, and an awesome machine will be built....is what it is....

#1162 3 years ago

Give Full Throttle a little time to get going, and then I'm sure we'll have some kind of updates for Alien. I know Andrew teased some things at Pintastic and showed a video of the beacons, did that video make it to Pinside yet? Can't remember.

#1163 3 years ago

Haven't seen it.

#1164 3 years ago

There is a link in this thread to the live stream from pintastic. I'm in for #100 but I may see if there is an earlier number so I can get one sooner. A freaking fog machine hook up!

#1165 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Heres the thing about lebowski, it feels like a premium pin that's worth the money.

I agree, but you still have to like the layout and or theme. And like tiger said, Aliens is a top theme too off course.

But it gets insainly fun with all high quality pins.

If only i had some cash.... Haha .

Still enjoy all the new companies.

#1166 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

You realize this doesn't really make much sense. If they are making 500 LE's and they sold out, they don't have to announce it. All it would take is ONE person to try and buy one and they would tell him it's sold out and he would just communicate it. And you're wrong. An LE selling out day one is what every manufacturer goes for. And LE's should sell out and be limited. I'm not a fan of JJP's 3-4 different kinds of LEs. I like rewarding the early adopters / collectors with something special.
But do you really think Aliens is stronger and more relevant than ever? I'm not really seeing that anywhere else in pop culture man.

Yeah, I'm asking why would Heighway "want" to announce the LE's are sold out. And yeah, I said I bet that announcement comes from the community when people start posting they couldn't buy the LE. Andrew will of course make that announcement when he has to.

I wouldn't think the LE would sell out before the first pic of the game makes its way into the public eye. But when pics are released, I bet that happens pretty fast. There is a whole big world out there beyond pinside, right?

Pop culture? Uh, I never mentioned that. But I heard Neill Blomkamp enters the iconic Alien franchise to direct a new film set after the events of Alien and Aliens.
http://www.alien5-movie.com/
And there is talk of yet another Prometheus movie being directed by some fellow named Ridley Scott.
http://www.prometheus2-movie.com/

It's been 35 years since the first Alien movie. What does it take to be growing more stronger and relevant than right now?

#1167 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

» YouTube video

Haha thanks for the YouTube snippet. I love that line!

#1168 3 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

There is a link in this thread to the live stream from pintastic. I'm in for #100 but I may see if there is an earlier number so I can get one sooner. A freaking fog machine hook up!

I don't think your LE # choice affects the build spot....( I'm 212, but early in the process, so suspect the machines will be built and shipped based on order date, regardless of the #).

Fog machine....right!?!....I'm the same way....have a great spot picked for it....have to wait and see if I pickup an RGB mover ( pro lighting) to take full advantage of any smoke coming off that thing in the room......too cool...mark

#1169 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I don't think your LE # choice affects the build spot....( I'm 212, but early in the process, so suspect the machines will be built and shipped based on order date, regardless of the #).
Fog machine....right!?!....I'm the same way....have a great spot picked for it....have to wait and see if I pickup an RGB mover ( pro lighting) to take full advantage of any smoke coming off that thing in the room......too cool...mark

I think you guys are kidding, but just in case you're not... Fog machines leave an oily film all over everything, you don't want one running in the same room as your games.

#1170 3 years ago

IMO Alien is a killer, brilliant theme (stating the obvious), but Full Throttle is not. Far from it.

I hope that HP builds Alien in parallel with FT, so they can make thousands of machines, regardless of the success (or otherwise) of FT. The bottomline is that Alien is where the company's cashflow will come from going forward, and is the machine that would lift HP out of boutique company status. Again, FT is not IMO.

#1171 3 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I think you guys are kidding, but just in case you're not... Fog machines leave an oily film all over everything, you don't want one running in the same room as your games.

This is my understanding as well. I have a 200 gallon aquarium that couldn't be good for. Perhaps this is why you don't often read about home owners messing with fog machines in their homes.

Having one that operates off the dry ice method for parties and such, now that's perhaps a whole other deal. Can anyone expand further on this?

#1172 3 years ago

This is a great example of the hypocrisy of people regarding the "I'll buy any original theme" line they like to throw around. Full Throttle might as well be a non-licensed game for us here in the states, and obviously Alien is a license. Everyone is clamoring over Alien. That's understandable. But everyone also keeps saying Full Throttle is a bad theme...why?

I'm not into motorcycles, or real life racing of any kind, etc. But I think this game looks fun. There are some really neat shots and why wouldn't you like the concept of a competitive race during the game? How is this game's theme all that different than High Speed or Get Away? Everyone seems to long for the 90s games and their unrestricted themes, and here you have a game that feels like that and most are complaining. I'm not surprised since I've called BS on the "I'll buy any non-licensed game" hyperbole before, but I'm just pointing this out as a great example here with Heighway's games.

#1173 3 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

Actually, Andrew mentioned it at the recent show....there are many types of fog/ hazing devices that are water based, and pro grade, as well....so we will have to wait and see what he's thinking..

Suspect a light haze will be more in order, actually...no residue and minimal moisture. ..used around very expensive gear all the time...but I'm just speculating......

#1174 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

This is a great example of the hypocrisy of people regarding the "I'll buy any original theme" line they like to throw around. Full Throttle might as well be a non-licensed game for us here in the states, and obviously Alien is a license. Everyone is clamoring over Alien. That's understandable. But everyone also keeps saying Full Throttle is a bad theme...why?
I'm not into motorcycles, or real life racing of any kind, etc. But I think this game looks fun. There are some really neat shots and why wouldn't you like the concept of a competitive race during the game? How is this game's theme all that different than High Speed or Get Away? Everyone seems to long for the 90s games and their unrestricted themes, and here you have a game that feels like that and most are complaining. I'm not surprised since I've called BS on the "I'll buy any non-licensed game" hyperbole before, but I'm just pointing this out as a great example here with Heighway's games.

I do love motorcycles and racing, it should be a slam dunk to me. Being flat-out honest, I can't get past the art. The fact that its hand drawn should make it even more appealing, but it looks like its lifted from a kids cartoon.

#1175 3 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

it looks like its lifted from a kids cartoon

You say that like it's a bad thing...

#1176 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

FTH isn't a popular theme with tons of 40-upsters buying. I rode bikes when I was younger, doesn't mean I like the theme as a pin. I would buy an original theme, just not digging AMH, Or FTH. Design a better one and I'll decide then.

#1177 3 years ago

Tok is the most negative person in the world. Not sure he even had a childhood. People want original themes that are relatable. Magic, fantasy, sci fi and adventure. Motorcycle racing isn't something most people dream about.

#1178 3 years ago

For me the FTH theme was a turn off, until I played the game.
At that point the gameplay took over,
and I was in wonderland.
It's quite brilliant, and leaves you
wanting another game.
I think judging on theme alone,
might not be as accurate as after playing a few games.
It really is a great playing game.

#1179 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Tok is the most negative person in the world. Not sure he even had a childhood. People want original themes that are relatable. Magic, fantasy, sci fi and adventure. Motorcycle racing isn't something most people dream about.

I had a great childhood. I'm just not still living it at 40 with Ninja Turtles bedsheets and Transformer toys all over my room. Do us both a favor and ignore me if you can't handle an honest opinion.

#1180 3 years ago

A bit awkward but I'm 40 with a Ninja Turtles bedsheets and Transformer toys all over my room...

#1181 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

People don't want original themes. That's really obvious. They pretend they do, but every single "dream theme" thread is full of movies and bands and TV shows etc. And there's nothing really wrong with that. Alien is an awesome theme, I'm excited for the ideas we have for the modes, it's going to feel great. Really good theme for a pin.

It's just extremely difficult to push an original game now. Without a known theme helping sell it everyone is extra skeptical and critical of everything. I feel like Full Throttle is going to be a slow burn, but I do think it will build some momentum once people are unboxing and reviewing it, because everyone who's played it seems to really like it. At the end of the day we're not talking posters or action figures, these are games, and they're about being fun to play.

I'll say this: as someone who just likes to work on these things as a hobby, definitely not looking to quit my day job, this might be the last licensed title I work on like this. We'll see, I may never do another pin, or a theme might convince me, but the restrictions of a license are a little bit too much like my regular client work, as opposed to the creative freedom that makes this hobby stuff an escape for me.

So I personally feel it's a shame that non-licensed pins are such a tough sell. Is what it is.

#1182 3 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

I do love motorcycles and racing, it should be a slam dunk to me. Being flat-out honest, I can't get past the art. The fact that its hand drawn should make it even more appealing, but it looks like its lifted from a kids cartoon.

I am with you on the art. I think the theme is cool, but I find the art looks too childish.

#1183 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'm #187, but I ordered early enough that mine will be in the first container of customer games shipped to the states.

#1184 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

I'm #187, but I ordered early enough that mine will be in the first container of customer games shipped to the states.

Correct. I'm #23 & ordered mine this week. You are slotted by order date not LE #.

#1185 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Correct. I'm #23 & ordered mine this week. You are slotted by order date not LE #.

That's good to know thank you. It seemed like people went after lower numbered machines and I wasn't sure why. This is my first NIB pin so I'm still a noob with this one.

#1186 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

As mine might be!!!....I'll have to ask...hooray!!!...

#1187 3 years ago

When did pre-orders open? I didn't get in until the end Feb.

#1188 3 years ago

How's about we actually see the artwork and game design before plunging in on theme alone? Cmon gang!

#1189 3 years ago
Quoted from Dano:

When did pre-orders open? I didn't get in until the end Feb.

I went in Oct 22nd...think that was close to when the title was announced...

#1190 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

How's about we actually see the artwork and game design before plunging in on theme alone? Cmon gang!

That's too logical and too late for me... .........probably wise advise, however.....

For me ( live in Asheville) no way in hell would there have been one close to me to play before the LE's would be gone....I can't think of a title that appeals to me more...had to go for it, once I knew that Andrew and Company were legit....

#1191 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

That's too logical and too late for me... .........probably wise advise, however.....
For me ( live in Asheville) no way in hell would there have been one close to me to play before the LE's would be gone....I can't think of a title that appeals to me more...had to go for it, once I knew that Andrew and Company were legit....

Yes! And I was Very impressed with Full Throttle(FTse on order), Alien will only be better & that's an exciting prospect! It was a gamble pre-ordering before the pin was fully revealed, but I'm comfortable with my decision.

#1192 3 years ago

From what I've gathered about the company and the interaction between the owner to the community, I'm perfectly fine with my decision.

#1193 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I went in Oct 22nd...think that was close to when the title was announced...

Ha! My invoice is dated 10/22/14. Looks like ours will be riding the same boat.

#1194 3 years ago

I'm not a big fan of the pre-order model myself. But in a funny way I'm in on this deeper than anyone else. I don't see any compensation for my work until the games ship. I'll get my own personal LE, and my payments are all royalty based. No game, nothing for me but a ton of my time spent!

So honestly I'm "gambling" more than anyone who's put money down on this. And I'm perfectly comfortable with it. IMHO the "worst case scenario" is simply that the games take longer to ship than people would like. Alien was probably announced a little early. So it goes, that's pinball. Heighway is a legit company, with a real factory, a real plan, and real ambitions. And they've got real funding.

You can add the beacons and fiber optic lights to a Standard. So if you decide to wait and the LEs are sold out at least you won't miss out on anything cool in that sense. But the LE should be a bad ass package. I won't lie, my goal is to make it cooler than the Standard.

I haven't even started on the LE art yet, it's just not as high a priority vs getting the rest of the game together. Looking forward to it since it's the version of the game I'll personally own though!

So I'm really not trying to push anyone into ordering right now, honest. Do what you're comfortable with. But I'm in with everyone who has and will, and feeling frosty.

#1195 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I haven't even started on the LE art yet...

#1196 3 years ago

Well beyond the fact that there's a hell of a lot of other stuff to do with the playfield and the LCD screen, we haven't shown the standard art yet because it isn't approved (though it has been submitted). I'd feel way more comfortable doing the LE art once the Standard has the green light. Then if there are any issues with the licensor they can be addressed before starting another package.

#1197 3 years ago

What's the current ETA for shipping Alien?

Whatever the answer is, add 4-5 months. Not a knock on Heighway specifically, just seems to be the way it is in this industry. Of course Alien is already late. Wasn't it originally slated for release in April (which led to Nordman leaving as he knew that was an impossible target)?

PF and LCD art isn't even approved yet? This is quite a way from being ready is the way it sounds..

#1198 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

PF and LCD art isn't even approved yet? This is quite a way from being ready is the way it sounds..

At least we know they aren't going the JPop rout...do the art first and then try and fit the mechs he can't get to work around the art.

#1199 3 years ago

We're getting into territory where I don't want to speak for Andrew, so I won't address the specific questions. But yeah, pinball takes a while. And with a license you have all sort of delays you can't anticipate, it's definitely slower than I expected. I have a lot of experience working with big brands, but nothing like this. Maybe it's a film industry thing, I dunno.

As I said earlier in this thread, the delays have been a good thing for the gameplay, I'm way more excited to shoot the playfield design now compared to what was first shown. I'm sure there will be an update at some point.

Edit: I'm a huge Dennis Nordman fan, so whatever happened with him, my point above isn't a diss at him, to be clear. The design has just evolved in good ways since he left is all.

#1200 3 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Ha! My invoice is dated 10/22/14. Looks like ours will be riding the same boat.

Excellent!!!...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside