• 24,672 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,842 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24672 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 494.
#1101 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Most games since the dawn of time have a voltage selector, and I bet the newer games are auto-sensing. So, I would assume Heighway is the same.

most games since the dawn of time used transformers -- not modern solid state power supplies. New world

#1102 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

most games since the dawn of time used Transformers -- not modern solid state power supplies. New world

Hmm, did export EMs have different transformers? I thought you could just retap.

#1103 3 years ago
Quoted from voodle:

Please have a lot of drop targets. Pinballs of late seem to have forgotten how satisfying they are to hit!! I also line the ones that sit behind each other in a lane with a pay-off at the end of the lane.
Bring back the drop target!!
Oh yes, wire ramps also, not the plastic ones. Wire ramps are so much better to look at, and probably cheaper to make.

I freaking love drop targets, especially single ones placed around the field. Cactus canyons targets come to mind.

#1104 3 years ago

You know what's a really clever play mode? The "Lost in the Zone (6-ball)" in Twilight Zone. Six balls for about 45 seconds. It's a lot of fun. And when the 45 seconds is up, the flipper buttons stop working and the balls drain. Smart game.

What would be better is endless balls for 45 seconds. ie. just keep shooting drained balls back on to the field.

ie. Use this mode for the Nostromo in self destruct mode and when the countdown ends, the flippers go dead. During that 45 seconds you have to end the self destruct mode by hitting a target, or a sequence of targets. The analogy to the original film is Ripley running back to cancel the self destruct sequence.

That would be cool.

#1105 3 years ago

Here's another thought. Why do we need a right hand ball launch lane on the modern machines? Surely that's valuable table space.

Terminator 2 was going in the right direction, as was Flash and Twilight Zone. They all had minimal ball launch lanes.

Apart from historical aesthetic reasons we probably don't need it at all. The ball can launch from anywhere. A lot of machines have a button to launch the ball now anyway, rather than the older spring loaded plunger.

Think of all that extra space for....well....more things!

#1106 3 years ago

Look at the P3 from Multimorphic. There isn't a shooter lane at all as the balls come from the center of the game.

#1107 3 years ago
Quoted from jackSparrow:

You know what's a really clever play mode? The "Lost in the Zone (6-ball)" in Twilight Zone. Six balls for about 45 seconds. It's a lot of fun. And when the 45 seconds is up, the flipper buttons stop working and the balls drain. Smart game.
What would be better is endless balls for 45 seconds. ie. just keep shooting drained balls back on to the field.
ie. Use this mode for the Nostromo in self destruct mode and when the countdown ends, the flippers go dead. During that 45 seconds you have to end the self destruct mode by hitting a target, or a sequence of targets. The analogy to the original film is Ripley running back to cancel the self destruct sequence.
That would be cool.

Just inspired another idea to reuse something from past pinball:

Some sort of "no hold" flipper multiball, for use with a sentry mode. The sentries are taking out hordes of aliens, laser shots and alien scream sound effects and complete bedlam with keeping the balls flying. Maybe the ammo of the sentry is shown on the LCD, each flipper press is another shot, watching the number go down to zero and... flippers are dead (out of ammo). Mode can reset and give you back your ball.

#1108 3 years ago

Frolic in sentry mode the flippers should be automatic...

#1109 3 years ago
Quoted from jackSparrow:

That would be cool.

No way that sounds epic have the beacon toppers flashing too

#1110 3 years ago

Dimensions of games if you didn't know

image.jpg

#1111 3 years ago

Anxious to actually see something when it's available!

#1112 3 years ago
Quoted from jackSparrow:

Here's another thought. Why do we need a right hand ball launch lane on the modern machines? Surely that's valuable table space.
Terminator 2 was going in the right direction, as was Flash and Twilight Zone. They all had minimal ball launch lanes.
Apart from historical aesthetic reasons we probably don't need it at all. The ball can launch from anywhere. A lot of machines have a button to launch the ball now anyway, rather than the older spring loaded plunger.
Think of all that extra space for....well....more things!

Some Stern games have a button to launch the ball....in addition to the plunger. Stern recognizes tradition.

The button only game were tried by Williams in the 90's. They, like Williams Pinball, didn't survive.

Even JJP users a plunger.

It's like bumpers. It's a part of Pinball. They aren't going anywhere.

#1113 3 years ago

Quick question for Aurich, are you involved in the playfield artwork or just the LE back glass and side art?

#1114 3 years ago
Quoted from drinkduffbeers:

Quick question for Aurich, are you involved in the playfield artwork or just the LE back glass and side art?

I'm doing the standard backglass and sideart, though the initial rough concepts for it were already done before I came on board, so my role there is to flesh them out and finish them.

I'm doing the playfield. Some things were in place there too, but probably a lot less will be kept, concept-wise, that's what I'm working through now.

I'm doing the LE backglass and sideart.

I'm working on designs for the LCD screen, though we have an animator, as well as people at Heighway who've done concepts and animations.

Working with the license is a process, and that's the main reason we haven't been ready to show anything yet. I'm used to working with big brands, but on much tighter/faster time schedules, it's definitely a learning experience to go through this all. When you do an ad campaign for Microsoft or Lexus you're working with their agency, and while there's always a style guide and legal requirements you never had to submit work through such a formal and intense process that comes with the world of film.

#1115 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm doing the standard backglass and sideart, though the initial rough concepts for it were already done before I came on board, so my role there is to flesh them out and finish them.
I'm doing the playfield. Some things were in place there too, but probably a lot less will be kept, concept-wise, that's what I'm working through now.
I'm doing the LE backglass and sideart.
I'm working on designs for the LCD screen, though we have an animator, as well as people at Heighway who've done concepts and animations.
Working with the license is a process, and that's the main reason we haven't been ready to show anything yet. I'm used to working with big brands, but on much tighter/faster time schedules, it's definitely a learning experience to go through this all. When you do an ad campaign for Microsoft or Lexus you're working with their agency, and while there's always a style guide and legal requirements you never had to submit work through such a formal and intense process that comes with the world of film.

Ha it would have been easier to ask which part you weren't involved with. Great news your involved with the actual playfield artwork too

image.jpg

I'm sure you have already seen this arcade shooter artwork. No pressure but sure you can do better.

Exciting times ahead

#1116 3 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Some Stern games have a button to launch the ball....in addition to the plunger. Stern recognizes tradition.
The button only game were tried by Williams in the 90's. They, like Williams Pinball, didn't survive.
Even JJP users a plunger.
It's like bumpers. It's a part of Pinball. They aren't going anywhere.

Agree. It's also nice to have actual skill slots using a plunger. Sure a lane skill shot is a skill shot but it isn't difficult to do. I'm sure game designers can come up with more ideas for tough skill shots.

#1117 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Very happy to hear you're doing the Playfield art. Based on your previous work, I have no doubt it's going to look awesome.

#1118 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Very happy to hear you're doing the Playfield art. Based on your previous work, I have no doubt it's going to look awesome.

I'm relatively new here..... what pinball work have you done before Aurich?

#1119 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agree. It's also nice to have actual skill slots using a plunger. Sure a lane skill shot is a skill shot but it isn't difficult to do. I'm sure game designers can come up with more ideas for tough skill shots.

However, the skill shot is really just a one-off, when the ball launches. I still think it'd be better to use that play-field space for extra targets, lanes, spinners etc. Yes, the lane is a legacy 'feature', but perhaps we can invent something new to launch the ball that will become unique. An evolution as it were.

#1122 3 years ago

Apologies if it has been asked before but with the LCD screens will there be the possibility of clips from the films at all?

#1123 3 years ago

Non-traditional shooter lanes have been used before. Many Zaccaria's used an elevated shooter lane over the playfield to save space. TX-Sector shoots the ball into a wireform that crosses the playfield to free up space.

#1124 3 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Non-traditional shooter lanes have been used before. Many Zaccaria's used an elevated shooter lane over the playfield to save space. TX-Sector shoots the ball into a wireform that crosses the playfield to free up space.

STTNG too. It uses a catapult launcher into a wire form. The typical shooter lane area is an outlane.

#1126 3 years ago

Really excited about a fog machine add-on. Anybody working an "Alien through the chest" mod .

That would be the perfect toy (that will never happen?) on this pin. I'd be very happy to be wrong on that and will whip out the wallet to prove it. Full throttle has shown they can build a great game. Now a smoking Alien theme! Time to cash in the 401k .. lol

<any financial advice herein shall be considered C r A z Y > #cuckoo

#1127 3 years ago

Just re-watched Aliens (director's cut) for the ???th time. Aliens is such a great movie! Then again, SO is the original! I can't wait to see what Heighway does with this franchise.

#1128 3 years ago

Its official, Alien LE #23 checking in!

#1129 3 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

Just re-watched Aliens (director's cut) for the ???th time. Aliens is such a great movie! Then again, SO is the original! I can't wait to see what Heighway does with this franchise.

I love them both. But I might have to give the edge to Aliens if I had to pick, only in that it's the one I can just rewatch again more easily.

#1130 3 years ago

I really like Aliens but the original just has something special going on, best of the all the films for me but then again I love Star Trek The motion Picture and a lot of folk disliked that film, not better than Khan but close. Who am I kidding I love them all.

#1131 3 years ago

Nitro is proud to be an official distributor for Heighway Pinball. We will be taking care of all Canadian orders going forward and be able to offer reduced shipping based on volume. Pricing will remain the same as if you ordered direct. One (1) year warranty, customer support & Nitro pack is included with purchase. As with Heighway, a deposit is required and balance just prior to shipping.

Feel free to contact me toll free at 1-855-366-4876 (#1) tommy@nitroamusements.com

Thanks, T

#1132 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I really like Aliens but the original just has something special going on, best of the all the films for me but then again I love Star Trek The motion Picture and a lot of folk disliked that film, not better than Khan but close. Who am I kidding I love them all.

Agreed. I think both movies are great, but Aliens took it in more of an action flick direction. Not that its bad, just a different feel. Aliens never creeped me out like Alien did. Of course it was all fresh and unexpected the first time - and I was still a kid. Nevertheless, Alien will always be my favorite by quite a bit.

#1133 3 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Agreed. I think both movies are great, but Aliens took it in more of an action flick direction. Not that its bad, just a different feel. Aliens never creeped me out like Alien did. Of course it was all fresh and unexpected the first time - and I was still a kid. Nevertheless, Alien will always be my favorite by quite a bit.

The script/writing for Alien was better than Aliens. But Aliens had more action and even some humor, and the special effects were better by then. Alien suffers a bit in that the SFX don't hold up that well. But clearly Alien is a great all time classic, and Aliens is an incredibly good sequel.

#1134 3 years ago

Alien is much more atmospheric, dirty space at its finest thanks to Ridley Scotts obsession with detail in art direction. It takes its time, lets you look around...dripping with detail so much that you can almost smell the Nostromo.

#1135 3 years ago

I enjoy them both, to this day, actually.....Alien is sci-fi horror in pure, raw form.....Aliens much more action and "polished", but not nearly as terrifying as the original....classics in 2 different ways....great stuff!!!

#1136 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The script/writing for Alien was better than Aliens. But Aliens had more action and even some humor, and the special effects were better by then. Alien suffers a bit in that the SFX don't hold up that well. But clearly Alien is a great all time classic, and Aliens is an incredibly good sequel.

All true, although for me some of the SFX "issues" (especially Ash's head) are all part of what makes it great. I do like the humor in Aliens, especially Paxton. And while we're talking Paxton, anyone else love Frailty?? He killed it in that one too.

#1137 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Said better than I.......this^^^^^^^

#1138 3 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

All true, although for me some of the SFX "issues" (especially Ash's head) are all part of what makes it great. I do like the humor in Aliens, especially Paxton. And while we're talking Paxton, anyone else love Frailty?? He killed it in that one too.

Heh, nice to hear someone else who knows about the greatness that is Frailty! He was superb in that. Pretty sure he directed it too.

#1139 3 years ago

I hope everyone understands that this is heighway's "halo" pin. They are going above and beyond on this thing to attract major awareness to their brand. You've got rotating beacons, neon ramp, extra interactive toy being added because they felt the other one just wasn't enough, a freakin smoke machine hookup, Aurich on the art! and this thing hasn't sold out of this GIFT of only 500 LE spots yet!?!

A couple years ago this would have pre-sold thousands but the pain over those 2 years has been without precedent. And those vapor pins of pain were expected to be the next BBB, tron, cactus canyon, etc...I think Alien Le might just fall into the A+++ class!

#1140 3 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I hope everyone understands that this is heighway's "halo" pin. They are going above and beyond on this thing to attract major awareness to their brand. You've got rotating beacons, neon ramp, extra interactive toy being added because they felt the other one just wasn't enough, a freakin smoke machine hookup, Aurich on the art! and this thing hasn't sold out of this GIFT of only 500 LE spots yet!?!
A couple years ago this would have pre-sold thousands but the pain over those 2 years has been without precedent. And those vapor pins of pain were expected to be the next BBB, tron, Cactus Canyon, etc...I think Alien Le might just fall into the A+++ class!

I think the LE's haven't sold out yet because it sounds like you can add all those features if you want to. Plus as great as it all sounds 2015 has burned people and its wiser to wait and see.

#1141 3 years ago

Any idea's of when we can expect some updates? I would love see some artwork.

#1142 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I think it is wise for Heighway to wait on anything Alien until Full Throttle has made its mark. A showing of Alien might just overshadow Full Throttle a bit.

When Alien gets the green light and Heighway has shown it off and is then tasked on building toward demand I think they are going to have their hands full for some time thereafter. Best to use this time now to get their ducks in a row and learn what they learn from the initial Full Throttle runs because once Alien breaks out... it's all gas ...no brakes!

#1143 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

At this point all eyes are on UK Pinball Party Aug 22.

#1144 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I think the LE's haven't sold out yet because it sounds like you can add all those features if you want to. Plus as great as it all sounds 2015 has burned people and its wiser to wait and see.

Why would Heighway want to announce the LE being sold out? (If it were) My take on it: It would only provide some relief to 500 people and a bummer to the rest that are interested... and remember, this is a title with "World Wide" appeal - the Alien franchise is still growing more relevant and stronger after 35 freaking years. And such an announcement sends a big heads up warning sign to competition. No sense to announce "it's over" to the collector community that are on the fence or those just waiting to see the first image of this "sleeping giant" of a title. I bet that announcement comes from the community when people start posting they couldn't buy the LE and instead settled for the SE and have to put a dress on it with the LE accessories.

Sure, you can always throw an Alien playfield in an SE cabinet but it won't be the same as the satisfaction of owning "the real deal" and something original and unique. The Pinball collectors should know what I'm talking about.

And while I'm ranting, I suspect many people that buy the LE aren't going to use that cabinet as "the swap out pin." Face it, if your an Alien fanatic and your buying into the Heighway system, your going to want at least 2 Heighway pins. Am I wrong?

#1145 3 years ago

To me, it is a bit of a race right now on what my next NIB pin will be. The contenders:

Alien
Game of Thrones (only if LCD display)
The Hobbit

Whichever of these games go into production first will get me to open up my wallet.

I can't wait to see the art package on Alien with aurich. It is going to be awesome.

#1146 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

We're at a stage where it's not really up to us. But I happen to agree that it's probably best to let Full Throttle have a little spotlight time. The early reports on it from Pintastic were really positive, give people a little time to get to know what Heighway is doing. First customer games should be showing up soon I think. I haven't even played it myself, and I'd like to.

I'll say this: The extra time for Alien is really a good thing, it's allowed for some space to iterate and improve the playfield. I think people are going to really dig the next reveal of the design, whenever that is, because there are more shots now, better flow, more toys, more interaction, etc. The design has been refined. I just got the latest CAD file yesterday, and I'm loving the tweaks from even the last version I had.

Both Andrew and I are huge fans of the movies. More than anything we want to get it right.

The art process is taking longer than anyone would like. It's slower than I would like. But I think we all know by now that pinball can be like that, especially with a license. There's no drama, it's just the process playing out.

I'm probably getting into speaking for Andrew territory here, so I'll stop, but hang in there guys, we're going to do our best to make a great game.

#1147 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Why would Heighway want to announce the LE being sold out? (If it were) My take on it: It would only provide some relief to 500 people and a bummer to the rest that are interested... and remember, this is a title with "World Wide" appeal - the Alien franchise is still growing more relevant and stronger after 35 freaking years. And such an announcement sends a big heads up warning sign to competition. No sense to announce "it's over" to the collector community that are on the fence or those just waiting to see the first image of this "sleeping giant" of a title. I bet that announcement comes from the community when people start posting they couldn't buy the LE and instead settled for the SE and have to put a dress on it with the LE accessories.
Sure, you can always throw an Alien playfield in an SE cabinet but it won't be the same as the satisfaction of owning "the real deal" and something original and unique. The Pinball collectors should know what I'm talking about.
And while I'm ranting, I suspect many people that buy the LE aren't going to use that cabinet as "the swap out pin." Face it, if your an Alien fanatic and your buying into the Heighway system, your going to want at least 2 Heighway pins. Am I wrong?

You realize this doesn't really make much sense. If they are making 500 LE's and they sold out, they don't have to announce it. All it would take is ONE person to try and buy one and they would tell him it's sold out and he would just communicate it. And you're wrong. An LE selling out day one is what every manufacturer goes for. And LE's should sell out and be limited. I'm not a fan of JJP's 3-4 different kinds of LEs. I like rewarding the early adopters / collectors with something special.

But do you really think Aliens is stronger and more relevant than ever? I'm not really seeing that anywhere else in pop culture man.

#1148 3 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

I think it is wise for Heighway to wait on anything Alien until Full Throttle has made its mark. A showing of Alien might just overshadow Full Throttle a bit.
When Alien gets the green light and Heighway has shown it off and is then tasked on building toward demand I think they are going to have their hands full for some time thereafter. Best to use this time now to get their ducks in a row and learn what they learn from the initial Full Throttle runs because once Alien breaks out... it's all gas ...no brakes!

Full Throttle has much more of a European target. Motorcycle racing theme in America? I don't think it matters how good the game is, I think the theme is a turn off for most. Kind of like Mustang.

#1149 3 years ago

No Lebowski on your shortlist Tiger?

Awesome prospect anyway with that list, .

#1150 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

To me, it is a bit of a race right now on what my next NIB pin will be. The contenders:
Alien
Game of Thrones (only if LCD display)
The Hobbit
Whichever of these games go into production first will get me to open up my wallet.
I can't wait to see the art package on Alien with aurich. It is going to be awesome.

GOT is massive favorite to be out first.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 279.95
There are 24672 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside