• 24,458 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 263 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24458 posts in this topic. You are on page 218 of 490.
#10851 2 years ago

Gameplay layout question... How does the ball feed to the upper flipper, is it by the left orbit like on Shadow Dirty Harry or another way?

#10852 2 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

The only way to drink with your new Alien pin
Bradford exchange.

Well, I don't know about ONLY...

Oh, and I just plunked down a deposit for an LE, and Melissa at Cointaker had some pretty specific shipping estimates. Of course, this is the first time I've ever even purchased a new pin, never mind pre-ordered, so I may well have just fallen off the turnip truck. I figure if I can throw a pinball party on Alien Day, I'll be really, really happy.

2017-02-11 20.37.00 (resized).jpg

#10853 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Gameplay layout question... How does the ball feed to the upper flipper, is it by the left orbit like on Shadow Dirty Harry or another way?

Ambiguous question, there are two upper flippers.

The only way to feed the upper left flipper is to shoot the Vent 1 saucer, which ejects the ball so it drops past the upper left flipper. From there several shots are possible, including the right ramp, Chestburster lane, Vent 2 lane, or APC drop targets.

The upper right flipper can be fed by shooting the Chestburster lane from either the upper left flipper or (difficult but possible) the lower left flipper. The ball will bounce off a standup at the end of that lane and drop past the upper right flipper. This lane will also be fed ~50% of the time when the ball exits the egg bumpers. However the ball reaches the upper right flipper, again several shots are possible, including the upper/center ramp, the Vent 3 loop, or the Airlock.

#10854 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

The only way to feed the upper left flipper is to shoot the Vent 1 saucer, which ejects the ball so it drops past the upper left flipper. From there several shots are possible, including the right ramp, Chestburster lane, Vent 2 lane, or APC drop targets.
The upper right flipper can be fed by shooting the Chestburster lane from either the upper left flipper or (difficult but possible) the lower left flipper. The ball will bounce off a standup at the end of that lane and drop past the upper right flipper. This lane will also be fed ~50% of the time when the ball exits the egg bumpers. However the ball reaches the upper right flipper, again several shots are possible, including the upper/center ramp, the Vent 3 loop, or the Airlock.

Wasn't there a magnet that pulled the ball over from a loop shot too?

#10855 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Wasn't there a magnet that pulled the ball over from a loop shot too?

There was. That was removed from the design sometime around Expo (October).

#10856 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

This playfield has a number of unique, and very fun looking shots. It's nice to see something beyond the standard fan layout. It looks like the upper left flipper may be something of a challenge to get to. What happens when the bumpers drop the ball into the top of the chestburster lane, but the controlled drop is still up? Or does it automatically drop whenever the bumpers are activated?

#10857 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

This playfield has a number of unique, and very fun looking shots. It's nice to see something beyond the standard fan layout. It looks like the upper left flipper may be something of a challenge to get to. What happens when the bumpers drop the ball into the top of the chestburster lane, but the controlled drop is still up? Or does it automatically drop whenever the bumpers are activated?

Yeah the layout looks great, I know of quite a few non pinheads looking at buying an Alien because of theme but also because it looks loaded! Most of them are waiting to see what Heighway game no.3 is though as most don't have the room for more than one game and the swap out design of Heighway game is another big draw for people who unlike us don't want a house full of pins.

#10858 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Yeah the layout looks great, I know of quite a few non pinheads looking at buying an Alien because of theme but also because it looks loaded! Most of them are waiting to see what Heighway game no.3 is though as most don't have the room for more than one game and the swap out design of Heighway game is another big draw for people who unlike us don't want a house full of pins.

When is the next Heighway pin supposed to be announced?

#10859 2 years ago

Hey now! Stay focused Jones! Lets get these one's moving out the door 1st

#10860 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Hey now! Stay focused Jones! Lets get these one's moving out the door 1st

Alien is the pin for me, the only other themes which would rival it for me would be: "The Warriors", "They Live", or something to do with a creepy carnival... All themes which I'm very doubtful are Heighway's next pin.

#10861 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

No idea, right now its all Alien, only mentioned Heighway #3 because it clearly shows their approach to a swappable system could be a major attraction for new customers as Heighway moves forward after Alien. Alien should put them on the map in a BIG way!

#10862 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

After Full Throttle they were supposedly going to make 4 games per year. They must have a backlog of over a dozen games just ready to roll out of the factory !!! If only this Alien roadblock would free everything up!

#10863 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

After Full Throttle they were supposedly going to make 4 games per year. They must have a backlog of over a dozen games just ready to roll out of the factory !!! If only this Alien roadblock would free everything up!

Well from the looks of Alien, it seems that Heighway values quality over quantity... And I am in full support!

#10864 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Well from the looks of Alien, it seems that Heighway values quality over quantity... And I am in full support!

So they should just never start shipping them?

There will always be something that can be improved on quality wise.

#10865 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So they should just never start shipping them?
There will always be something that can be improved on quality wise.

Is that genuinely what you think I meant, or are you purposely trying to be contentious?

#10866 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Is that genuinely what you think I meant, or are you purposely trying to be contentious?

Oh, quite the contrary. I know you didn't mean that. I just think you, like many others, are being overly forgiving and accepting of these continuous delays, and now you are using the excuse that the delays *must* be because they value quality over quantity. Well...there is zero quantity, so....

#10867 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Oh, quite the contrary. I know you didn't mean that. I just think you, like many others, are being overly forgiving and accepting of these continuous delays, and now you are using the excuse that the delays *must* be because they value quality over quantity. Well...there is zero quantity, so....

If I was a betting man, I'd say there is a 90% chance we'll see these in homes by the end of March.

#10868 2 years ago

End of february !

#10869 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

If I was a betting man, I'd say there is a 90% chance we'll see these in homes by the end of March.

If I was a betting man, I'd take that bet.

#10870 2 years ago

There isn't much anyone can do about the continuous delays.

It is what it is. Hopefully standards soon

At least Andrew is alive and well. Not sure about the DP guys.

#10871 2 years ago

I notice none of you give a year in your estimate

#10872 2 years ago

Two weeks

#10873 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

That's in line with what I was told by Melissa at Cointaker.

I will be the first to admit that I am utterly clueless, though.

#10874 2 years ago

I forgive.

#10875 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Alien is the pin for me, the only other themes which would rival it for me would be: "The Warriors", "They Live", or something to do with a creepy carnival... All themes which I'm very doubtful are Heighway's next pin.

Right there with you! Imagine a John Carpenter pin, where all the modes are different movies, and there are sub-modes for each movie with movie-specific goals. And, the wizard mode could be going insane in Mouth Of Madness multiball (and it's fitting as a wizard mode, since it's the last good movie he did lol.

#10876 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I notice none of you give a year in your estimate

At this point, I'm hoping for a LE delivery in 2017. Given up on the month estimate.

#10877 2 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Right there with you! Imagine a John Carpenter pin, where all the modes are different movies, and there are sub-modes for each movie with movie-specific goals. And, the wizard mode could be going insane in Mouth Of Madness multiball (and it's fitting as a wizard mode, since it's the last good movie he did lol.

My head aspolode. Imagine a "The Thing" pin!!! ("The Ward" was pretty good, back in 2010, as were his "Masters of Horror episodes", but yeah I get your point )

#10878 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I just think you, like many others, are being overly forgiving and accepting of these continuous delays...

So what would you have everyone do? And to what end? And how would that be beneficial towards an outcome?

It's Alien/s! I think the people in this thread are big fans of this theme. I know I'm a big fan and that's what keeps me patient. I was happy when the theme was announced, I'm happy anticipating what it's going to be like, and I'll be happy the day I get my pin.

No other theme in pinball or otherwise interests me more. Perhaps others in this thread feel the same way and that's why this thread has remained mostly civil during the wait.

I apologize for being overly forgiving and accepting of these continuous delays but I think good things will come to those who can wait!

#10879 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

It's Alien/s! I think the people in this thread are big fans of this theme.

Thats it, if it wasn't Aliens I wouldn't care when and if it ever came out, kinda liked Dialed In, don't care at all. This is one of my dream themes so I'll wait, lets a see a well done gameplay video, that would be nice.

#10880 2 years ago

I don't get upset over first world problems, like pinball machine delays. Neither do most of the dream theme Alien fans in this thread.

It will ship when it's ready to ship. 'Nuff said. Meantime I'll be playing my other pins & patiently waiting.

#10881 2 years ago

right...if your "problems" are pinball machine related you are living the good life.

#10882 2 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

If I was a betting man, I'd take that bet.

You preordered Woz, Predator, Alien and Thunderbirds! If you are not a betting man I don't know who is!

#10883 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

So what would you have everyone do? And to what end? And how would that be beneficial towards an outcome?
It's Alien/s! I think the people in this thread are big fans of this theme. I know I'm a big fan and that's what keeps me patient. I was happy when the theme was announced, I'm happy anticipating what it's going to be like, and I'll be happy the day I get my pin.
No other theme in pinball or otherwise interests me more. Perhaps others in this thread feel the same way and that's why this thread has remained mostly civil during the wait.
I apologize for being overly forgiving and accepting of these continuous delays but I think good things will come to those who can wait!

And I hope that you are right, because I couldn't agree more about the theme!

I'm sure that I am not as patient as many of you (which is one reason that I could never preorder), and my love for the theme actually makes me *less* patient, not more.

#10884 2 years ago

I don't see how the delays hurt anybody except Heighway. For the pre-pay customers, you should know that these deadlines are just goals. I'm not suggesting that you, as a customer, deserve delays. I'm suggesting that Pinside members follow these things and are aware that new companies have delays. They have no contractual obligation to deliver on a certain date. I see no reason to give them money before the game is ready. I have Full T and really like it. I followed the development on Pinside and purchased one when it was available for purchase in a box at at a show.

I hope Alien is great.

#10885 2 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I don't see how the delays hurt anybody except Heighway.

I suspect some people are impatient and perhaps not used to having to wait buy something... It's possible when people like us can throw a larger sum money around for a toy, some of these same people likely have a very large disposable income and aren't used to having to wait to buy anything. If they want something, they just go and purchase it. Just a theory.

#10886 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

I have no dog in this fight; however, as a now retired Program and Project Manager, I understand the frustration in dates that are not simply missed but missed with variances of 2, 3, 400%. If I were in this, I would ask for actual updates to better assess the quality of the projections. "It should be ready in two weeks" isn't really an update. For example:
"We received the list of Fox changes 6 weeks ago. We made all requested modifications and resubmitted the artwork 4 weeks ago. Their turnaround has been typically 6 weeks, so we expect to have final approval in 2 weeks." Versus "We received the requested changes 10 weeks ago. For a variety of reasons, we did not make two of the changes but have offered alternatives that we feel meet the spirit of the requested changes. The changes were submitted 6 weeks ago. They typically take 6 weeks to approve; however, based on prior experience, it adds a couple of weeks when an alternative has been submitted. Therefore, we think we should have final approval in two weeks"

Both examples suggest two more weeks. However, they provide enough info to determine how likely the projections are to be met. In the first case, you would feel pretty confident while in the second, you feel less confident and are prepared for the potential of another round of reviews. I'm not sure if Heighway has a true PM working this. If so, perhaps they can lift snippets from the regular status reports to give people a better sense of things.

#10887 2 years ago

Heighway doesn't owe us any updates. Be grateful they give us anything, because most other industries wouldn't. Hell, the biggest in this industry doesn't.

#10888 2 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Heighway doesn't owe us any updates. Be grateful they give us anything, because most other industries wouldn't. Hell, the biggest in this industry doesn't.

Any company that's been holding money for years without shipping games owes its customers EVERYTHING.

#10889 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Any company that's been holding money for years without shipping games owes its customers EVERYTHING.

No they don't. It's a refundable deposit. If you don't like waiting, get a refund. Despite people getting all worked up, refunds have been issued for those who want them. The company does not owe anyone here a single thing. If you put down a deposit, you put a hold on a place in line to buy a machine, if you don't pay when the time comes, your place in line goes to someone else. Your deposit grants you nothing but a chance to buy a machine, it does not grant you an insider look into what's happening behind the scenes. The fact that Heighway does this without needing to is commendable. If you have paid in full for your machine, yeah, you're guaranteed a machine, but you're not guaranteed to get it at a specific time, and, again, you're not guaranteed any information. If all that sounds unappealing for you, don't put down a deposit. They'll make lots of games, it won't be hard to get one once they are released.

The fact that this is an unpopular opinion on here just shows how much people take what Andrew and crew are doing for granted.

#10890 2 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

The fact that this is an unpopular opinion on here just shows how much people take what Andrew and crew are doing for granted

What!? LOL...he's not curing cancer. He's charging a lot of money for a game that was supposed to be out April 2015. Look, I like Andrew and how open he's been with the collector community. My statement wasn't about him...it was about what you said:

Quoted from aeonblack:

Heighway doesn't owe us any updates. Be grateful they give us anything

F that...that's a bunch of BS. Don't treat these people like deities. That's what people did with Jpop. I'd like to think we're all smarter now.

#10891 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What!? LOL...he's not curing cancer. He's charging a lot of money for a game that was supposed to be out April 2015. Look, I like Andrew and how open he's been with the collector community. My statement wasn't about him...it was about what you said:

F that...that's a bunch of BS. Don't treat these people like deities. That's what people did with Jpop. I'd like to think we're all smarter now.

Not sure how anything I said paints the picture that I deify anyone, I'm just explaining why they don't owe you anything. Like I said, if you don't like waiting, don't wait. Nobody is forcing you to put down a deposit. I just wish people would stop acting like they are pre-ordering something with a set-in-stone ship date. You are putting down a deposit for a spot in line to buy a machine once it becomes available. I don't remember reading anything when I put my deposit down that said "we will provide you with frequent updates on the state of the machine and the reasoning for why the machine is in that state, and we will absolutely ship when we estimate we will". Nothing even close to that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you can't handle the "stress" of spending money on a deposit, then don't put down any deposits.

#10892 2 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

No they don't. It's a refundable deposit. If you don't like waiting, get a refund. Despite people getting all worked up, refunds have been issued for those who want them. The company does not owe anyone here a single thing. If you put down a deposit, you put a hold on a place in line to buy a machine, if you don't pay when the time comes, your place in line goes to someone else. Your deposit grants you nothing but a chance to buy a machine, it does not grant you an insider look into what's happening behind the scenes. The fact that Heighway does this without needing to is commendable. If you have paid in full for your machine, yeah, you're guaranteed a machine, but you're not guaranteed to get it at a specific time, and, again, you're not guaranteed any information. If all that sounds unappealing for you, don't put down a deposit. They'll make lots of games, it won't be hard to get one once they are released.
The fact that this is an unpopular opinion on here just shows how much people take what Andrew and crew are doing for granted.

Your information is incorrect.

#10893 2 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Your information is incorrect.

Id agree with Aeonblack - they dont have to give any updates, they could just Stern it up and give you nothing.

However its in their best interests to give frequent communication, since unlike stern who is a long time pin builder, Heighway has yet to really prove they can mass produce machines.

I appretiate that Andrew personally comes on here and adresses issues and concerns. I do think if he didnt alot more people would be pulling their deposits.

#10894 2 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I just wish people would stop acting like they are pre-ordering something with a set-in-stone ship date

Andrew gave a date. April 2015. Then "in two weeks" 500 times.

Quoted from aeonblack:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you can't handle the "stress" of spending money on a deposit, then don't put down any deposits.

I won't. Last deposit I put down on a pin was in 2014. That will be the last time I ever do it. Anyone who continues to do it should only do it with 100% transparency and constant information flow. Otherwise, let these companies build these games on their own dime...when they have something finished to sell, then pay.

#10895 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Id agree with Aeonblack - they dont have to give any updates, they could just Stern it up and give you nothing.
However its in their best interests to give frequent communication, since unlike stern who is a long time pin builder, Heighway has yet to really prove they can mass produce machines.
I appretiate that Andrew personally comes on here and adresses issues and concerns. I do think if he didnt alot more people would be pulling their deposits.

Exactly, they don't have to do any of the communication stuff, but they do. That's all I'm really saying here, that people seem to take for granted that Andrew and all the Heighway staff/contributors are here answering questions and updating us not because they are in any way required to, but because they want to (whether that be for love of the theme, love of the game, giving themselves a better public image or whatever). I think that's commendable, and I think a lot of people forget that they don't have to do any of that. That doesn't mean we deify them or put them on some pedestal, it just means it's a nice change compared to Stern.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Andrew gave a date. April 2015. Then "in two weeks" 500 times.

I won't. Last deposit I put down on a pin was in 2014. That will be the last time I ever do it. Anyone who continues to do it should only do it with 100% transparency and constant information flow. Otherwise, let these companies build these games on their own dime...when they have something finished to sell, then pay.

Yes, but that date isn't anything set in stone. It was an estimated date given the information they had at the time, and as that information updates, the timeline updates. The only difference between what happens here and over at Stern is that they don't update you as their information changes. I personally prefer the updates over the game just shipping two years later with radio silence in between.

#10896 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I appretiate that Andrew personally comes on here and adresses issues and concerns.

Oh I fully agree with your comment however the information in his post is incorrect.
For example if you have a deposit down that holds your LE number NOT your place in the que
Anyone who pays the full amount goes in front of the deposit holders.
This was explained in an email sent out to future owners.

Refunds are also still outstanding.

#10897 2 years ago

So what's happened to the 20 SE's on the line.
Why aren't they being shipped?

#10898 2 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Oh I fully agree with your comment however the information in his post is incorrect.
For example if you have a deposit down that holds your LE number NOT your place in the que
Anyone who pays the full amount goes in front of the deposit holders.
This was explained in an email sent out to future owners.
Refunds are also still outstanding.

Ah, I actually wasn't aware of that. I thought it was both holding your LE number AND your place in the que (based on order date, I had assumed, and not actually tied to your LE number). I don't think it's great that you can jump que by paying the full amount, but that does work well for distributors/dealers who have the coin to drop on it.

As for the refunds issue, I had assumed that had all been sorted out since the vocal minority there seemed to quiet down.

#10899 2 years ago

Are people in this thread *really* comparing Heighway to Stern in terms of what kind of progress updates they "owe" us?

#10900 2 years ago

Is RobT *really* stirring the pot in another thread?

Edit: sorry Rob, I couldn't help myself

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
There are 24458 posts in this topic. You are on page 218 of 490.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside