• 24,687 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Durzel
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 494.
#951 4 years ago

As promised, we are giving you an update on the progress of our ‘Alien Pinball’ game.

We admit that we certainly underestimated the approvals process with the licensors that we are working with on our current games in development. We are not criticising any of the licensors we are working with, but clearly there are many departments that deal with all aspects of a license – and it can take a lot of time to get the approvals and direction from a number of key people – particularly at the conceptual stages

Also, with the ‘Alien’ license it is clearly one of the biggest licenses in existence – and 36 years after the first film was released, it is still very current – with Alien 5 and Prometheus 2 both in development. Therefore, it is to be expected that FOX would want to take their time with such a prized asset.

After a number of delays, we are definitely back on track again. Here is an update on the individual elements of this game:

• Backglass Artwork – approved in principle for the SE edition. Being amended for officlal approval
• Sideart Artwork – approved in principle for the SE edition. Being amended for official approval
• Playfield 3-D models – work begins on models this week and will be submitted week-by-week for approval
• Playfield Artwork – overview and elements approved in principle – high res versions being drawn now, and will be submitted for approval accordingly
• Playfield Toys – a lot of work has been spent on this over the last few months. We felt that the current toys did not do enough justice to the license and so we have reviewed this. New toys are being worked on now. In particular, we have a very exciting xenomorph toy that is intended to become the main toy for this game
• Playfield layout – with the lessons learnt from the first whitewood, the playfield is now being re-worked and the next version will be much closer to the finished game. We expect to be making the second whitewood within the next 2-3 weeks

Now that most of the conceptual issues have been approved, and many of the draft element concepts too, from this point onwards we are expecting the approvals process to be much faster. We also expect to be able to show you substantial developments on a much more regular basis from now – including key artwork elements.

We are hoping to show you some of these key developments in our next major update – which is planned for a month from now.

Clearly we have learnt some lessons about the licensing process. So what does this mean for the timeline of this game? Everyone involved with this game is in agreement that we are going to target the UK Pinball Party, on 21st-23rd August 2015 (at Heighway Pinball’s factory in Merthyr Tydfil, UK) as the global launch of this game.

We have some exciting new additions to our team that will be announced very shortly.

To anyone who was expecting artwork or specific reveals in this update, then we apologise that this has not happened. We must make sure that we only reveal elements of this game when our licensor has approved them. Please believe us that the minute we are able to show them to you, we will do so.

Everyone involved with this game is determined to make this the best possible ‘Alien’ licensed game that it is possible to make and we thank you for your patience.

Thanks for reading,

Andrew Heighway
MD/CEO

#952 4 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Everyone involved with this game is determined to make this the best possible ‘Alien’ licensed game that it is possible to make and we thank you for your patience.

#953 4 years ago

Well done Andrew, and thanks for bringing the UKPP close to home ( for me! :> )

#954 4 years ago

As long as this game is hardcore when its finished, all will be well in Pinside land.

#955 4 years ago

Working on my mods already
So many options

Got a glowing alien pod done already

#956 4 years ago

Very excited about the game! Has there been any more word on whether or not clips of dialogue from the films will be able to be used in the software?

#957 4 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Working on my mods already
So many options
Got a glowing alien pod done already

Pics or it hasn't happened Robert!!

#958 4 years ago

Heard full throttle standards are shipping soon.

#959 4 years ago

excellent update, thanks!

#960 4 years ago

An honest, straightforward update. Thanks!

#961 4 years ago

Sorry to ask this in an Alien thread, but will a production Full Throttle be showing up at any US shows coming up? I'm really interested in getting a base game and multiple playfields to put in it, but I have some concerns over the FT that was at expo, so I'd like to play the revised version before committing.

#962 4 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Sorry to ask this in an Alien thread, but will a production Full Throttle be showing up at any US shows coming up? I'm really interested in getting a base game and multiple playfields to put in it, but I have some concerns over the FT that was at expo, so I'd like to play the revised version before committing.

We are trying to get to the New England show in the Summer, followed by Expo in October and IAAPA in November. We will look at other shows as well if it's possible for us to do them

#963 4 years ago

OMG... i'm totally going to want this game !!!!!!!!!

I'm soooooo afraid when I see it with artwork, toys, ramps, & some demos of play/sound/etc... i'll have to have it.

#964 4 years ago

Thanks for the update Andrew. I appreciate very much the candor in terms of admitting that the estimates were off and that you have learned a lot about licensing etc.

Exciting news about the new xenomorph toy.

#965 4 years ago

Aust distributor?

#966 4 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

We are trying to get to the New England show in the Summer, followed by Expo in October and IAAPA in November. We will look at other shows as well if it's possible for us to do them

Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown

#967 4 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

An honest, straightforward update. Thanks!

It's funny how far a little communication and honesty goes, right? Things are delayed, but here's why. Here's what we're working on, here's what we hope to show soon, here are some rough timelines that we're aiming for.

And if you say you're gonna show something in a month, and you can't, because the real world is complicated? Hey, just update like you promised, and say whatever you're allowed to about what's going on again, and give your best estimate for when you can try again.

I truly believe that pinball people are very patient, if you just make them feel informed and part of the process. Almost everyone would rather wait a little longer for a better game, they just want to know why they're waiting, and maybe a little other information to tide them over.

The trouble and drama appear when there's an information vacuum.

#968 4 years ago

Thank you for the update Andrew....I appreciate you sharing both the good and challenging aspects of a project with a license this big!!!! Several encouraging things to be taken away from your latest update, but mainly, your obvious passion for a great game, attention to detail, AND your ease of conveying information to us in an understandable way.....glad I'm in....mark

#969 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's funny how far a little communication and honesty goes, right? Things are delayed, but here's why. Here's what we're working on, here's what we hope to show soon, here are some rough timelines that we're aiming for.
And if you say you're gonna show something in a month, and you can't, because the real world is complicated? Hey, just update like you promised, and say whatever you're allowed to about what's going on again, and give your best estimate for when you can try again.
I truly believe that pinball people are very patient, if you just make them feel informed and part of the process. Almost everyone would rather wait a little longer for a better game, they just want to know why they're waiting, and maybe a little other information to tide them over.

"Communication" speaks volumes mi amigo.

#970 4 years ago

Wow! Now that was an update! 40 minutes, current and thorough, all Heighway. Thanks for posting the link.

#971 4 years ago

As an Alien LE preorder guy, great update Andrew.

Don't F ing let us down, I get that the licensor has delays with artwork, etc. but you need to be ready for production while you wait for approval to show us what you have accomplished.

You told us at Expo that we would be in production around this time, now its August, that's ok by me but stay on top of it and get this shit done unlike everybody else.

Don't tell me what I want to hear, I'm tired of that shit. You better make August happen, if you don't think you can, send me my refund now

If you F us, I'm flying over there to whip your ass personally!

#972 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Exactly. It's amazing how patient people can be when you actually let them know what's going on.

#973 4 years ago

The honesty in here is extremely refreshing.

#974 4 years ago

Ice, this isn't a Jpop thread, relax man. I know John's got you worked up, but Andrew is the polar opposite. Let's list some differences between the two and their current stable of titles:

Is communicating regularly directly with people: Andrew [x] | John [ ]

Is being up front and honest about progress and issues: Andrew [x] | John [ ]

Has shown a flipping game: Andrew [x] | John [ ]

Has a factory: Andrew [x] | John [ ]

Is actually building a game, right now: Andrew [x] | John [ ]

Took 4 years to still not finish anything: Andrew [ ] | John [x]

Is charging $17,000 for games: Andrew [ ] | John [x]

I could go on, but I think we all get the point. Let's not try and create drama based on other people's issues. This thread is the communication and honesty we deserve, from everyone.

#975 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Lots of smiley faces and started with thanks.

Based on Skitb and Jpop anyone with any amount of deposit should expect folks to be on edge.

Truly hoping to have a game and be able to say Andrew came through soon : )

#976 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Easy guys...this is obviously a joke...

#977 4 years ago

Let's just leave everyone else's drama at the door and keep it positive, it's almost Easter.

Easter Bunny hugs!

#978 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Let's just leave everyone else's drama at the door and keep it positive, it's almost Easter.
Easter Bunny hugs! (Click image to enlarge)

Agreed...and awesome pic...btw!!!....mark

#979 4 years ago

Andrew,

Thanks for the transparency and keeping everyone posted!

Unlike Jpop and several others you can also still get a refund (I did, I want to wait and see)

Still sounds very interesting and can't wait to see more public progress on game/artwork!

#980 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

OMG... i'm totally going to want this game !!!!!!!!!
I'm soooooo afraid when I see it with artwork, toys, ramps, & some demos of play/sound/etc... i'll have to have it.

I'm excited too, but a wait and see approach is important.

Stay strong Labnip!!!

#981 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Don't F ing let us down, I get that the licensor has delays with artwork, etc. but you need to be ready for production while you wait for approval to show us what you have accomplished.
You told us at Expo that we would be in production around this time, now its August, that's ok by me but stay on top of it and get this shit done unlike everybody else.
Don't tell me what I want to hear, I'm tired of that shit. You better make August happen, if you don't think you can, send me my refund now

Tough love. I agree. Ice is just saying what we are all thinking.

Tough tough time to be a pin startup right now. If Heighway pulls this off, they will come out stronger.

Timelines missed are a sore point for most right now Andrew.

#982 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I'm excited too, but a wait and see approach is important.
Stay strong Labnip!!!

want...

Want...

WANT...

must re-si-st....

MUST HAVE !!!!

#983 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

want...
Want...
WANT...
must re-si-st....
MUST HAVE !!!!

I'm with ya bro! But right now Andrew just needs to get the prototype built with art and PF approvals, then we can see what works and what doesn't.

This is what got me in trouble in 2012-2013 with another ( unnamed) pinball boutique.

When HEIGHWAY gets FTH out in numbers and Alien being built, they will be past boutique status. But until then...

#984 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I'm with ya bro! But right now Andrew just needs to get the prototype built with art and PF approvals, then we can see what works and what doesn't.
This is what got me in trouble in 2012-2013 with another ( unnamed) pinball boutique.
When HEIGHWAY gets FTH out in numbers and Alien being built, they will be past boutique status. But until then...

Heh. I think Heighway is way beyond "Kevin status" already, just having a factory building their first game alone does that. But I hear you, show and prove, sounds fair enough to me.

50850b1d-278f44602293.jpg

#985 4 years ago

Sorry to downvote you, underlord because I understand and agree to a point and they do still have something to prove in the pinball world, but to use the word "boutique" is way off when it comes to Heighway.

In fact, it is rather insulting to a company with a large factory, a staff, a contract with a company already finished,(Bacardi) a game in production, a license deal for the next game and 3(or more) other pinball machines in early stages of production to call them boutique.

Please look up what the word "boutique" really means. I am only reacting here, because I feel that the word has been used all over the place lately

#986 4 years ago

Alien is an awesome License and I'm throttled for Full Throttle! Sorry, had to say it.

#987 4 years ago

Boutique used in this context is meaning small one off manufacturer. But they all have the potential to grow and expand. Right now, Heighway made 150 Bacardi pins, and are still making the first, full throttle. When FTH is in folks homes, being played, and Alien has Shipped, they will be much better off.

My comparo isn't meant to SkitB as a company. But with latest timeline missed and feel good ( it's coming) text updates with nothing else, it's hard not to. I speak from WOZ 2011 preorder experience, 3 years of that. PRED preorder. Lotr LE preorder, 2009. 9 months of that. MM remake 2006-2008. Preordered MMR, but cancelled cuz I didn't like where PPS was going.

This moment, Heighway updates are little else but talk. Insulting? Yes. But not hostile. But I plan on buying an Aliens pin, my support for them IS there, but man, it's tough keeping the faith.

Btw, dont be sorry for expressing yourself bro. Folks like you keep me on the straight and narrow.

Good luck Heighway. Get these folks their aliens pins and I will be on your side.

#988 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

My comparo isn't meant to SkitB as a company. But with latest timeline missed and feel good ( it's coming) text updates with nothing else, it's hard not to.

There is absolutely no reason to compare Heighway to Skit-B in any way, shape, or form.

No.gif
#989 4 years ago

Agree w Rob...just can't see a company that has obviously invested more than JPop and Skit B combined on manufacturing equipment ( and already put out 150 " games of sorts" for a major Company) be considered in the same league.

Completely understand why people are angry, cautious, pissed, whatever...but not towards Heighway. Being behind a bit and upfront about it? Hard to find better communication in any industry nowadays.

Try getting a house built on- time and on budget, or anything else for that matter....

I only down voted Ice because of his last sentence....kidding or not....

My Company will sometimes work under GC's that are pretty volatile ....heard the " pound of flesh" incentives plenty of times ( both serious and in jest)..when the Project was delayed ( my fault or not).

They always got finished last on my list...sure didn't inspire me to put them first.....

Andrew will get this done, and it will be right....we're fortunate to have him in our hobby....mark

#990 4 years ago

To me its all about communication and trust in this hobby. Someone who is honest and cares about were pinball is going in the future. Heck just someone that will email me back in a timely manor is so refreshing. Andrew and Heighway is all that and more!

#991 4 years ago

Here's my take on the state of things with these "startup" pinball companies. Whatever size they might be.

I think it's totally fair for us, as consumers, to have expectations when it comes to communication. Show and prove. People have been burned before, it's a reasonable and smart approach. We should have done it from the beginning, but it's not too late to learn. And frankly it's not a lot to ask for.

The other side of that coin is I feel like we should support the businesses who do the right things.

Spooky and Heighway both have done original themes, something we've asked for. Now they're both moving into the world of licensed themes, because it turns out that what we actually want.

There are going to be delays. It's just the nature of the beast. Licensing can get pretty complicated. You have to work with the movie studio, and then work with the rights holders for the music, work with the reps for actors. Wait for this guy to return your call with permission to contact that other guy who will promise to get back to you. In two weeks. Rinse and repeat.

As long as you don't go all dark and silent and keep us in the loop I can be patient.

I've already told Chuck and Ben that if there's a way I can help them that I'm there, I want to see Spooky thrive.

I'm throwing my hat into the Heighway ring now too. Let's get behind these companies that are making drama free games.

#992 4 years ago

Why are pre-orders still even allowed on Pinside? Haven't enough people been f-ed over yet?

#993 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Here's my take on the state of things with these "startup" pinball companies. Whatever size they might be.
I think it's totally fair for us, as consumers, to have expectations when it comes to communication. Show and prove. People have been burned before, it's a reasonable and smart approach. We should have done it from the beginning, but it's not too late to learn. And frankly it's not a lot to ask for.
The other side of that coin is I feel like we should support the businesses who do the right things.
Spooky and Heighway both have done original themes, something we've asked for. Now they're both moving into the world of licensed themes, because it turns out that what we actually want.
There are going to be delays. It's just the nature of the beast. Licensing can get pretty complicated. You have to work with the movie studio, and then work with the rights holders for the music, work with the reps for actors. Wait for this guy to return your call with permission to contact that other guy who will promise to get back to you. In two weeks. Rinse and repeat.
As long as you don't go all dark and silent and keep us in the loop I can be patient.
I've already told Chuck and Ben that if there's a way I can help them that I'm there, I want to see Spooky thrive.
I'm throwing my hat into the Heighway ring now too. Let's get behind these companies that are making drama free games.

This^^^^^^^!!!!!! ....+ 1 million!!!....

#994 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

There is absolutely no reason to compare Heighway to Skit-B in any way, shape, or form

I want to keep backing up new manufacturers, but I'm gonna wait until I at least see what the Aliens artwork and PF look like first before sinking cash into it.

Call me gunshy I guess.

#995 4 years ago

I think waiting to see artwork is totally sane. I hope you're not disappointed.

#996 4 years ago

Heighway will produce Alien until the wheels come off. This is also different from some of the forced scarcity of Predator and the jpop games (forcing you to buy in early if you want it).

No need to put money in harms way. Wait until you see a finished game.

From Andrew's comments on the C2C podcast, Alien will likely (hopefully?) be the last game he announces so early. I whole heartedly agree that its better for everyone to follow a Stern style release, announce games when they are about to go into production, and pump them out until the demand is met.

#997 4 years ago

Agreed, that's the sane model. It's fun to be in on the process as a community, but ultimately it just creates more frustration and drama than it's worth. Sometimes you don't need to see the sausage being made.

#998 4 years ago

If anyone reading this thread hasn't listened to the latest C2C podcast, I highly suggest doing so.

Andrew is a fresh, consummate professional the likes of which the pinball world has not seen in quite some time. Anyone who listens to that episode and still thinks Heighway is at all interested in being a niche manufacturer isn't listening. They're building something much bigger than a couple of games.

#999 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotoes:

If anyone reading this thread hasn't listened to the latest C2C podcast, I highly suggest doing so.
Andrew is a fresh, consummate professional the likes of which the pinball world has not seen in quite some time. Anyone who listens to that episode and still thinks Heighway is at all interested in being a niche manufacturer isn't listening. They're building something much bigger than a couple of games.

Yep.

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-153-an-evening-with-andrew-heighway_44154

#1000 4 years ago

Aurich + Heighway= Huge Win!!!.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside