• 23,572 posts
  • 967 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by colonel_caverne
  • Topic is favorited by 271 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,612 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

22E639DA-609B-4ABA-9FFC-5EBC0C1DC17E (resized).jpeg
IMG_1530 (resized).jpg
IMG_1528 (resized).jpg
IMG_1527 (resized).jpg
IMG_1519 (resized).jpg
IMG_1526 (resized).jpg
7443D788-27EF-46E2-9A9C-B7C95EC6C25D (resized).png
0FFE5262-29FC-45AF-9E0D-37B485781CBF (resized).png
B9D03208-8E4B-4B15-85DC-DBDC161BA850 (resized).png
1EE46608-928F-4D08-9EF1-A9C05B2FA43A (resized).jpeg
DSC03753 (resized).JPG
DSC03747 (resized).JPG
80550671-4DB6-4D81-8B52-918074EC8982 (resized).jpeg
940A9F7F-8E1C-4487-8F95-C3E10F9AC930 (resized).jpeg
74403251-2DA1-4CA3-AEA0-0034F647BF53 (resized).jpeg
7BBEBEB2-C1A6-459C-A7D0-21D1E268C7B6 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 23572 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 472.
#51 4 years ago

Deposit sent, I absolutely love Sci-Fi and Aliens is the top of the mountain for me!

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Looks like a fun lay out destroyed by a flipper. Omg, that will stand in the way constantly.

Good point, let's just play it safe and go back to two flippers at the bottom.

#53 4 years ago

Couldn't agree more with Aurich about the screen in the playfield looking like an afterthought. Clearly it isn't (and I love the idea of the display on the playfield), but having just a rectangular cut out for it just doesn't look good (based off Full Throttle). Something more organic that blends in would be much better, kind of like creech's odd shaped hologram window.

Otherwise, seriously pumped about this pin. Love that it will have lit ramps ala Tron. That could tie in with the film's motion trackers something sweet.

#54 4 years ago

Thank you Andrew for doing this, I have a lot of choices of PreOrder NIB and I think I am Going go with this one. I love Alien and now to have it in a pin I cannot wait. I need to save for a little bit and send in my deposit Fingers Crossed there will still be LEs. Congrats again.

Joe(acejedi)

#55 4 years ago

Aaaahhh, under playfield ramps, a thing that disappeared from all recent pinballs!
What's the "thing" at the bottom of the left outlane?

#56 4 years ago

Bakushan's Heighway Pinball Interview at Expo:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/54161494

#57 4 years ago

The display in the pf just didn't work for me. Maybe it was because my eyes are trained to look at the base of the backbox.

#58 4 years ago

"5. Right flipper to shot F". Well, this might be difficult since if you use the right flipper, flipper 4 will be in the way Unless you're really, really fast to release the button and the flipper 4 to go back...

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from NFK:

Bakushan's Heighway Pinball Interview at Expo:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/54161494

Thanks. I find the backbox is way too thin, reminds me of the late Segas... This creates an unbalanced look with the cabinet, and since the floor space is used anyway, why such a thin backbox?

#60 4 years ago

I really like how "I" feeds to "G" to set up flipper #4 for a shot. (If I'm reading that right.) Really debating this in my head.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm going to go with Dennis Nordman over "I think that flipper is in the wrong place" personally.

Pinball News posted a photo of Nordman, you can see a game covered behind him. They say they are building a white wood, so this is likely a foamcore("Nordmancore") version he's playing with. I'm good with letting the expert figure it out.

2.jpg

#62 4 years ago

I do like the look of the design and the many features! I wonder though if allwill make it in the game, for it sounds expensive to keep that many toys, ramps and flippers in a game, if you compare it to Full Throttle (which I'm excited about too though). I also think a lot will change after a first whitewood: some shots will indeed be very nice IRL, others maybe less? The upper right flipper: indeed, how much will it block shots? Should it move to the right of the at the bottom of the i-lane?
I do like the original look of the playfield and though the theme doesn't do it for me, I think the game could become a very fun game, based on layout and plans.
Like some mentioned: it may look nicer to have the screen behind a non-rectangular window.

If all goes according to plan for production, and I can test both games next year and like them, I could see myself buying one of both games and the kit of the other, so I'd have more 'options' with the limited space I have for pinballs.

Hmm... too many nice choices at the moment, with TBL, Heighway, P3, AMH, etc... I've never bought NIB before, but I'm considering this (for a large part because of the extra-kits-option!) or TBL.

#63 4 years ago

I hope for the screen they mimic those ancient computer displays as much as possible.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Crrispy:

Thanks. I find the backbox is way too thin, reminds me of the late Segas... This creates an unbalanced look with the cabinet, and since the floor space is used anyway, why such a thin backbox?

My guess is weight. Modern games have way fewer and smaller boards than games 20 years ago, so the head ends up being a giant wood box with some light bulbs in it. I admit it does look odd when compared to looking at traditional pinball machines, but it is more practical.

#65 4 years ago

What about the LCD having a grayish overlay to make it a semi circle shape like a scanning screen on a gun/ radar tracking of the aliens. That could be unique to the Alien playfield and would be awesome integration of the theme into the game.

#66 4 years ago

I am nervous about the pre order culture in pinball, but I undertsand why its necessary. Regardless, as of this moment, I will 100% own this one day.

Pops should be the eggs like on the cover of the first movie, is that what you meant by "sleeping pods"?

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Pinball News posted a photo of Nordman, you can see a game covered behind him. They say they are building a white wood, so this is likely a foamcore("Nordmancore") version he's playing with. I'm good with letting the expert figure it out.

That thing under the blanket may be a different game entirely.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

That thing under the blanket may be a different game entirely.

Quite possibly. I'm just guessing.

#69 4 years ago

That left outlane area is interesting. Love to see how that wheel/thing works...

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from schwarz:

Reminds me a bit of Doctor Who the way you feed it from the A spot.

Or Big Hurt

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Pinball News posted a photo of Nordman, you can see a game covered behind him.

I was at Dennis' workshop with Martin. The covered up game is not an early version of Alien.

#72 4 years ago

The G spot looks hard to hit. Oh, I see what you did there.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

I really like how "I" feeds to "G".

These boys are certainly getting their "A" into "G" that's for sure, theme of the decade for me.
Sleeping pod physical ball locks then florescent lights (effect) comes on and multiball wakes up.
Land on planet mode with a lot of "green screen" action on the monitor.
Then smooth shift over to Aliens where pops are Auto Sentry's and you have to give up your clips and go bug hunting with just a squirt gun (sorta lights out with jerky light cues).

Exciting possibilities galore.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I hope for the screen they mimic those ancient computer displays as much as possible.

Yes, yes, yes! I was pumping my fist in the air as I read this! I'm already losing my mind with excitement over the possibilities for this pin (especially with the layout as slick as it is) but the LCD display themed like Mother, or even the motion detector at times, would push it over-the-top.

tumblr_luetxut4kt1qf5g91o1_1280.png

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Good point, let's just play it safe and go back to two flippers at the bottom.

Ha-ha! Agreed. Nice to see some designers taking chances with shot layout.

The more I look at that schematic, the more excited I am about this pin! ...and I'm not even a die hard Aliens or Sci-Fi fan (...just kissed my nerd-cred goodbye). But, man, it's a shame it's taken so long for Dennis Nordman to get back to designing modern pinball. Welcome back, big guy!

Quoted from Methos:

The display in the pf just didn't work for me. Maybe it was because my eyes are trained to look at the base of the backbox.

I agree...kinda. On first play of Full Throtle, I was scanning up to the back box, but as players we're constantly scanning the play field for mode lights, so it's a logical place to put a bunch of important information. Not to mention, it's not going to get in the way of shots down there (which I'm sure was a fundamental design consideration...just sayin'). I think with a few plays it would start to feel MORE natural than leaving your view of the PF for a traditionally located DMD.

Quoted from Aurich:

Find a way to shape the opening for the screen in a more interesting fashion.

Quoted from GreenMeerkat:

Something more organic that blends in would be much better, kind of like creech's odd shaped hologram window.

...or maybe even having some Alien pod or goo printing overlapping the edges of the plexi panel to give it the appearance of a slightly different shape, rather than a rigid rectilinear portal.

Lots of possibilities, and a good line of suggestions.

Also, maybe I missed it, but is there any word on an artist *a-hem*GREG*a-hem* for this *a-hem*FRERES*a-hem* project? ...'scuse me. (Frog in my throat.) SOMEONE must be able to do a really great traditional line-art rendering of characters from this movie.

Oh, hey, look what I just found:

st.jpg

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#76 4 years ago

^^^^ RyThom
Yes! Modes changing the LCD to 'Mother/motion detector' done right, would really get the pulse rate going! It's little details like this that can really make a theme like Alien (classic) come 'Alive'.

#77 4 years ago

I had told myself that I wouldn't do a pre-order given recent pre-order situations (not related to Heighway). However, I'm really liking the theme and the info on the layout and I might need to re-think my concerns about pre-orders.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from rad:

I had told myself that I wouldn't do a pre-order given recent pre-order situations (not related to Heighway). However, I'm really liking the theme and the info on the layout and I might need to re-think my concerns about pre-orders.

Pre-ordering without knowing the financial solvency of the company is a bit to risky for my taste. Id assume fox wouldnt give there license to just any company but that information would need to be known to me.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

It's little details like this that can really make a theme like Alien (classic) come 'Alive'.

I completely agree. It's the details that make the Alien movies - especially the original - so tangible and classic. I really hope those thematic touches aren't lost on this team and they really kill this.

Holy cow...I've been into pinball my whole life and I've never been this excited for a new game before.

#80 4 years ago

Hi everyone.

We will do our best to answer as many questions as possible, thread by thread

With the screen, it's difficult to lock down the screen design to any one style because you restrict the usage and impact of the screen. For example, someone suggested (Aurich I believe) that there could be a 'Mother' decal for the screen. This would be great for all 'Mother' type messages, but would be unsuitable for a full screen motion tracker. We believe the best and most versatile solution is to let the screen itself provide the surround graphics

#81 4 years ago

I love this theme! Alien pinball next to my predator pinball.

But...

I'm going to wait this one out. No preorder with another small company. Skitb already has my money tied up along with stern for TWDLE.

Once I see the artwork I'll make a decision.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

Hi everyone.
We will do our best to answer as many questions as possible, thread by thread
With the screen, it's difficult to lock down the screen design to any one style because you restrict the usage and impact of the screen. For example, someone suggested (Aurich I believe) that there could be a 'Mother' decal for the screen. This would be great for all 'Mother' type messages, but would be unsuitable for a full screen motion tracker. We believe the best and most versatile solution is to let the screen itself provide the surround graphics

Agreed, it has to try and be all things to all modes, it could be surrounded by programmable lighted inserts which interact with the monitor and the mode, for example if a line went across the middle of the playfield then through the monitor it could represent the players pulse/heartbeat. This would be great for hurry up modes as well, it could also enhance the "framing" of the monitor in whatever mood/mode is going on as well. Flat-lining would clearly be met with the "Game over man, what the f*ck are we gunna do now" line

#83 4 years ago

Dang you HeighwayPinball for making another game I want !!

There better not be any light cycles in it, or I'll have to buy 2.

alien-1.jpg

#84 4 years ago

Has any one seen the dimensions/specs of this Heighway wide body? I am trying to determine if I can squeeze it into my basement. This is a dream theme for me as well.

#85 4 years ago

I am hesitant about pre-ordering anything until its finished. Is this game limited to 500 units or is that just the LE limit?
Also, need to find out what the differences are between the standard and LE versions!

#86 4 years ago

was really impressed with Full Throttle so very excited for this!

#87 4 years ago

I am looking at the layout,is there just one ramp in this game?

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Crrispy:

"5. Right flipper to shot F". Well, this might be difficult since if you use the right flipper, flipper 4 will be in the way Unless you're really, really fast to release the button and the flipper 4 to go back...

They might have two seperate buttons for the flippers.

#89 4 years ago

I caved in. Just ordered.

I love the movie, Gieger and the Hobbit has me kinda bummed out.

I can't wait to see how this pans out.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from jms121:

I am looking at the layout,is there just one ramp in this game?

"D" is also a ramp I believe.

#91 4 years ago

ok gang... i found this LE version drawing... must have accidentally been posted then quickly removed. can't find it again, but fortunately saved a copy just in time hehehehe...

alien-le-1.jpg

It looks like it has some cool existing and new features:
17. TSPP-like ball saucer behind 3 drop-targets. Activates 10 unique LE game play modes.
18. Hidden ball-redirect, when active sends ball into subway*. Similar to TOM "Vanish".
19. Secret hole at top of playfield leading into subway*.
20 & 21. Subway-left and subway-right, with game-state related switch that redirects ball down 1 of those subways adding randomness to game. Also, allows for multiball capture & storage for LE.
22 & 23. Popup targets similar to MM or TH. However, instead of just 1 fixed toy that pops up to bash, there are 3 unique toys & 1 VUK ramp.
24 & 25. There are 2 under-playfield sliding tracks containing 4 options to popup in their 1 location. The 4 options slide left & right on a track under the playfield, so when the target popus up, the player has 1 of 3 surprises to bash or 1 VUK ramp to capture the ball or have already captured balls shout out of it down to the lower flippers. The 3 options on the slider are: (a) alien egg, (b) alien facehugger, (c) adult alien. The 4th item is the VUK. We believe this first-ever game design feature will elevate the market in game design and ensure our LE customers enjoy every penny.
26. Digital radar display for hunt & attack mode. This shows unique (random) locations of aliens starting at the far-back of the playfield and over time moving closer to the lower flippers. Player can kill this aliens by hitting targets represented by the digital radar blip locations on the display. Some aliens require more than 1 direct hit to kill. If aliens work their way down the playfield and make it directly on top of the player, the 2 lower flippers will begin to work inconsistently & weaker, representing damage taken by the player from direct alien attacks.

...what?!? A boy can dream...

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

I can't state enough how well I feel this reveal is being handled.
The artwork and toys can't be shown yet (due to licensing restrictions) so they put out a shot map with anticipated actions and possible combo ideas! Now THAT'S how you do it!

Agreed.

I was not present at Expo and I know things are different when you are there in person, but I've watched all the live feed videos from Jared, and I've followed all of the threads.

For overall presentation, ideas, theme, and ability to bring this to market, this is the company and title that I have been most impressed with overall!

Andrew is a class act too. His interview was excellent. I never felt like I was listening to a salesman who was just saying what he thought I wanted to hear. Also never felt like he was being coy as he answered every question when he could, and when he couldn't, he was very polite about it and always had a good reason as to why. He also never came across as arrogant or cocky (like some of the others did) but rather very humbled by the whole experience of being able to show his pinball ideas in Chicago.

Love it.

This was posted earlier in the thread, but worth mentioning again, here is a link to his interview (all 35 mintues!):

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/54161494/theater

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Andrew is a class act too. His interview was excellent. I never felt like I was listening to a salesman who was just saying what he thought I wanted to hear. Also never felt like he was being coy as he answered every question when he could, and when he couldn't, he was very polite about it and always had a good reason as to why. He also never came across as arrogant or cocky (like some of the others did) but rather very humbled by the whole experience of being able to show his pinball ideas in Chicago.

Now that you mention it, I have to agree. He did handle the interview very well. He took everyone's questions seriously and treated them with respect no matter how crazy they were. He is doing a good job at representing his company.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

I can't state enough how well I feel this reveal is being handled.
The artwork and toys can't be shown yet (due to licensing restrictions) so they put out a shot map with anticipated actions and possible combo ideas! Now THAT'S how you do it!

This is probably a bit optimistic, but Andrew says April 2015 for Alien in his interview if I heard correctly?

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

I am hesitant about pre-ordering anything until its finished. Is this game limited to 500 units or is that just the LE limit?
Also, need to find out what the differences are between the standard and LE versions!

No, they have a LE and standard. Check out their website and the interview.

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

Yes, yes, yes! I was pumping my fist in the air as I read this! I'm already losing my mind with excitement over the possibilities for this pin (especially with the layout as slick as it is) but the LCD display themed like Mother, or even the motion detector at times, would push it over-the-top.

tumblr_luetxut4kt1qf5g91o1_1280.... 462 KB

This is a must!

#97 4 years ago

Wow, that pf layout looks VERY interesting. Did anyone find the lcd on the playfield really useful or fun on their first game FT? Does it add much fun?

#98 4 years ago

Can someone list all the differences between the standard and LE models?

Thanks!

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

Did anyone find the lcd on the playfield really useful or fun on their first game FT?

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

On first play of Full Throtle, I was scanning up to the back box, but as players we're constantly scanning the playfield for mode lights, so it's a logical place to put a bunch of important information. Not to mention, it's not going to get in the way of shots down there (which I'm sure was a fundamental design consideration...just sayin'). I think with a few plays it would start to feel MORE natural than leaving your view of the PF for a traditionally located DMD.

Quoted from OldPinster:

Does it add much fun?

Fun? I dunno. I didn't see a ton of interaction with the ball, like in the P3 platform, for example. I guess I was more focused on the physical layout, which I really enjoyed. There's a weird in-lane feed on the left that just rockets the ball down the flipper. Not the usual CLUNK when the ball feeds through a traditional in-lane and it gives you a split-second to collect yourself while the ball slows down and you can see it coming. You really have to be on your toes to get an accurate flip on Full Throttle's left in-lane, which I really liked! Fast a furious. There's also some interesting loop paths that aren't your traditional huge parabolic arcs. The left loop does this sort of question mark, "S" curve, movement...but it still felt smooth. I never really felt the ball jangle around in there or stop because of the extra curve. Very flowy. All that to say, I think the main fun was to be had on the playfield.

Best,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Can someone list all the differences between the standard and LE models?
Thanks!

This is what the LE model will have:

Black Gloss Cabinet Finish, with Bright Lime Green Powder Coated Metal Trim (including legs)
Pinball Topper With Yellow Beacons
Exclusive ’35th Anniversary Edition’ Backglass And Sideart (+ Standard Edition Artwork Package Also Included)
’35th Anniversary Edition’ Game Plaque With Allocated Number (from 001-500) With Signature From Game Designer, Dennis Nordman
Fibre Optic Ramp Lighting
Shaker Motor
Exclusive ’35th Anniversary Edition’ Alien Pinball Goodie Bag, With Magnets, T-Shirts, Posters, Badges + Much More!

I believe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) Andrew said in the interview that the LE and the standard would play the same. Only cosmetic differences.

Here is the game description page:

http://heighwaypinball.com/?page_id=1231

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Hardware
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 400.00
Boards
Great American Pinball
£ 37.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Apparel - Unisex
Lee's Parts
$ 53.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 23572 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 472.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside