• 24,687 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by Durzel
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 196 of 494.
#9751 2 years ago

maxresdefault (resized).jpg

#9752 2 years ago

Did someone not get what they wanted from Santa this year!

#9753 2 years ago
Quoted from Pincycle:

I am going tomorrow with the Proto Alien Pinball to Freddy's Pinball Paradise in Germany.
So I have done an initial rule sheet in which you are maybe also interested (in English).
http://www.rs-pinball.at/alien-regelwerk/
I have not written down the rules of the single modes till now, but the document will go on.
Br
Stefan From RS-PINBALL http://www.rs-Pinball.at

Very impressive. Thanks for the effort

#9754 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Quoted from Grg:

Essentially I will never buy from Heighway as it stands...

No I'm not a troll...

#9755 2 years ago

Did Grg's post just completely disappear? I can't find post #9750...

#9756 2 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Did Grg's post just completely disappear? I can't find post #9750...

Me neither. Thought it might be the new option were posts are not shown when a lot of users drain them:
Community post draining (resized).JPG

But after changing the setting to disabled I still cannot find the post. Must be deleted by the admins then.

#9757 2 years ago

It was a nasty post, trying to be clever in assassinating aurichs personality but just came off sounding very bitter.

#9758 2 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

It was a nasty post, trying to be clever in assassinating aurichs personality but just came off sounding very bitter.

And Ted quoted it. It's all up there.

#9759 2 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

And Ted quoted it. It's all up there.

Wasn't sure if it was quoted in its entirety. Thanks.

#9760 2 years ago
Quoted from Pincycle:

I am going tomorrow with the Proto Alien Pinball to Freddy's Pinball Paradise in Germany.

can you shoot us a good gameplay video?

#9761 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

More likely that someone got that duplicate account they've looking for.

#9762 2 years ago

All I wished for Christmas is that I was in Germany at Freddy's pinball paradise to play this game today.. dammm u Santa

#9763 2 years ago

The more I think about the game play on this, the more I feel this is a Pinheads Pin.

Not that it wont do well on Location.....It will, I believe, but I feel this is a thinking game
in terms of code, strategy, shots, and rewards.
Its a game to turn on, when one wants to get immersed in Pinball, and theme.
If the code finishes up, I feel it will rival TWD, and how I feel about playing that, as Classic
as LOTR with well earned goals.

In trying to decide, for sometime maybe next year, whats next......Alien has moved to the top.

I would like a Dialed in one day, for Fun. This, I feel is what Dialed in does best.
Just a Damn fun game, and endless at that!

Batman66, I love the Art and Theme.....so much, that like others, I want it to be Great.
I was hoping to make my decision at Expo, but the delay we have had, has allowed me time to step back and think.
I feel Batman will be fun, but even with great code, will fail to bring me back over and over again.
I think its a short fix of fun, and it doesnt make it bad, but I dont feel it will end up Great.
Knowing it was a fill in, and 4 months of delays is almost all code, to make it play better than it is.
Lymans code will help bring it better, but Aliens seems to have that "one more game", in its right pocket.

The choice is battle Aliens, save the people, and get immersed in Lights, Sound, Video, AND Gameplay
for a full experience.
Somehow beating the Riddler, or Catwoman, doesnt convey the urgency, or battle.
Batman won every time, often with little struggle, and always with a simple graphic, POW!
Sure, its fun, but its not a challenge in the theme sense.

So, its the end of the year, and still plenty of time, and Ill play Batman, Ive logged 100 games on dialed in and around 35
on Aliens, and Im looking at my line up, and saying, I need another game like a hole in the head, but Aliens for
its Price, unique new everything, and for the challenge I see coming, and I see it now pulling far ahead of the Race....

#9764 2 years ago

Appreciating the rulesheet. Thanks!

#9765 2 years ago

I think a good mod may be to take out the third LCD and send that video signal to the playfield screen. Then find some cool toy to put in the third screen's place.

#9766 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think a good mod may be to take out the third LCD and send that video signal to the playfield screen. Then find some cool toy to put in the third screen's place.

Agreed.

I think having 3 LCD screens is overkill.

#9767 2 years ago

It sounds like the third screen is doing exactly what I want out of the playfield screen. Instructions towards the player relevant to the active modes while the big screen would show the video clips and game scores.

#9768 2 years ago

Armchair quarterback here, but the focus should be on the Xenomorph head. I wouldn't do anything that detracts from it. Rather, I would suggest that they try and enhance it. Heck, remove the toy to the left and animate the Xenomorph. Perhaps have the head swing to the left when not in multiball mode and swing to the lock position when the lock is lit. Cut all illumination in the game and strobe it with some flashers as it swings over. Scary!

Make that toy come alive and everyone will forget about whatever you were planning on putting in that space.

#9769 2 years ago

If the 3rd screen just mimicked the other 2 then for sure its over kill but its gonna show completely different footage, countdowns, maybe some static crt screens from the films etc. I think it will work just fine, lose the bezel so its smaller with a placement that doesn't detract from the Xeno head and it will be great. I really wish Aliens had a similar sized LCD like the new Sterns but I doubt I'm gonna hate 27" clips from two of my favorite films not to mention I'm really liking the graphics I've seen so far for this pin, the music is just ridiculously good, best I've ever heard and thats on teaser videos, headphones or just dark room loudness, oh man.

#9770 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Cut all illumination in the game and strobe it with some flashers as it swings over. Scary!
Make that toy come alive and everyone will forget about whatever you were planning on putting in that space.

Literally the greatest suggestion in this thread!

I think that is an absolute must!

#9771 2 years ago

Let's not forget that the Alien Pin only comes with two LCD displays. And each display shows different data.

It's your choice to add an additional mirroring third display which would be the giant 27 inch back box LCD, which let's remember again, is totally optional.

It sounds like 95% of buyers plan on adding the optional LCD, great for route and crowded rooms but not needed at all from the player's perspective - other than increasing wow and show-off factors, not that there's anything wrong with that.

#9772 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

If the 3rd screen just mimicked the other 2 then for sure its over kill but its gonna show completely different footage, countdowns, maybe some static crt screens from the films etc. I think it will work just fine, lose the bezel so its smaller with a placement that doesn't detract from the Xeno head and it will be great. I really wish Aliens had a similar sized LCD like the new Sterns but I doubt I'm gonna hate 27" clips from two of my favorite films not to mention I'm really liking the graphics I've seen so far for this pin, the music is just ridiculously good, best I've ever heard and thats on teaser videos, headphones or just dark room loudness, oh man.

I'm still unsure about Stern's LCD. It's a little weird looking but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The big screen looks natural and is a wow factor to new players.

#9773 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm still unsure about Stern's LCD. It's a little weird looking but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
The big screen looks natural and is a wow factor to new players.

I like both, but personally I like Sterns placement/sizing the best out of all the current LCD options, it allows for the best of both worlds, a good size screen with plenty of room for nice animations and a good size translite, if I can always have both its the choice I would always make, I love seeing translite art when my games are off, its pinball

#9774 2 years ago

Def going for huge 27 inch display with Alien. How could you not?

As for the new screen, I feel like it is jammed in there too, although Andrew said it was moved to the left from what was shown. Still much better than the chamber.

I say screw it, get the pin done and out the door and people can figure out a work around later to suit their own preferences.

Hard to tell in just pics, have to see it in person and how it plays.

Hopefully it's not the same reaction I had with Wolvie and xmen! One of the worst designed toys/placement I can think of on any pinball machine. Just ruins the left side of that PF

#9775 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hopefully it's not the same reaction I had with Wolvie and xmen! One of the worst designed toys/placement I can think of on any pinball machine. Just ruins the left side of that PF

No way it will be even close to that bad, I think its gonna look great, lots of screens like a spaceship or command center, thats right I said it, "command center" and who doesn't want that? Its the bezel around the small LCD that needs to go, keep it streamlined and as far to the left as possible, its way better than the rotating airlock and the idea of the screen turning to light up the xeno head with a strobing effect or just lighting up in general is fantastic. Lots of possibilities and we haven't even started with mods, good times ahead.

#9776 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Could be cool...let's wait and see how it's implemented?

I can envision all the GI dropping out at the beginning of a mode and having the 3 screens work in unison delivering some static-y Alien message...either simultaneous or in a sequence.

Any number of cool as hell things. The more the better!

#9777 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

No way it will be even close to that bad, I think its gonna look great, lots of screens like a spaceship or command center, thats right I said it, "command center" and who doesn't want that? Its the bezel that needs to go, keep it streamlined and as far to the left as possible, its way better than the rotating airlock and the idea of the screen turning to light up the xeno head with a strobing effect or just lighting up in general is fantastic. Lots of possibilities and we haven't even started with mods, good times ahead.

I was gonna mention the bezel too. Frolic says he got use to it but initial thoughts without seeing it in person was are not positive

#9778 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's really two screens. If you want the third then great, but it's not standard, and we can't design around it. That's why the optional backbox screen just mirrors the playfield one. It's utterly impractical for anything else to happen there from a design and programming standpoint.

That area next to the xeno was always meant to be the airlock, and it will remain the airlock, but instead of rounded plastic, which honestly made no sense, and a queen toy who's scale just looked bizarre when it rotated around, it will be flat. The frame creates the airlock itself, and the screen is the doors. So when it's closed and inactive it basically recreates the original plastic. But now instead of rotating we can animate the doors opening and reveal whatever we want behind them. For the queen reveals we can use an animated queen instead of the static model, but for all the times that area isn't queen focused (the majority of the game) we now have a useful tool. So the doors can slide open to reveal a timer for example, ala TSPP's TV, so you have a consistent place to check your time during a mode or hurry up or however Joe wants to use it.

At this point it's beyond pointless to try and make everyone happy. But the decision was made because it makes sense, because it adds to our ability to display useful information and be more dynamic, and because it ultimately serves the player. And let's be honest, also because that rotating airlock was actively disliked at the Expo play sessions. We'd be stupid to not listen to audience feedback. And as long as we're being honest I didn't like it either. Scrapping an idea even after it's been worked on and developed is part of the process, you have to do what's going to make a better game.

#9779 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's really two screens. If you want the third then great, but it's not standard, and we can't design around it. That's why the optional backbox screen just mirrors the playfield one. It's utterly impractical for anything else to happen there from a design and programming standpoint.
That area next to the xeno was always meant to be the airlock, and it will remain the airlock, but instead of rounded plastic, which honestly made no sense, and a queen toy who's scale just looked bizarre when it rotated around, it will be flat. The frame creates the airlock itself, and the screen is the doors. So when it's closed and inactive it basically recreates the original plastic. But now instead of rotating we can animate the doors opening and reveal whatever we want behind them. For the queen reveals we can use an animated queen instead of the static model, but for all the times that area isn't queen focused (the majority of the game) we now have a useful tool. So the doors can slide open to reveal a timer for example, ala TSPP's TV, so you have a consistent place to check your time during a mode or hurry up or however Joe wants to use it.
At this point it's beyond pointless to try and make everyone happy. But the decision was made because it makes sense, because it adds to our ability to display useful information and be more dynamic, and because it ultimately serves the player. And let's be honest, also because that rotating airlock was actively disliked at the Expo play sessions. We'd be stupid to not listen to audience feedback. And as long as we're being honest I didn't like it either. Scrapping an idea even after it's been worked on and developed is part of the process, you have to do what's going to make a better game.

Of course the scale of the airlock also does not match the scale of the xeno head, nor will anything displayed in it.

#9780 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I was gonna mention the bezel too. Frolic says he got use to it but initial thoughts without seeing it in person was are not positive

I don't understand the amount of bellyaching I see online about the bezel. To me it is a complete non-issue. Yeah, my 1 Heighway game looks different than my other games, but I hardly see this as some sort of negative. It just is. It's a game designed in the UK. It looks different.

#9781 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't understand the amount of bellyaching I see online about the bezel. To me it is a complete non-issue.

I think there is some confusion here. I think Hazoff called the airlock framing around the small lcd a bezel in that context.

And Iceman took it as he meant the bezel the playfield glass is contained in. 2 different things.

I think most people that have played Full Throttle got past their bezel bias pretty quickly.

#9782 2 years ago

The 27" backbox screen is literally a no brainer " must have" . Playing the game with monstrous clips above your head is badass, period ( I know first hand). Saying that it is only used for bystanders is a joke. I loved the hell out of it. This image is mirrored on the play field screen, as always, so best of both worlds.

Airlock LCD was always part of the design ( I remember Andrew stating there could only be 2 discrete outs at this time.). Think they just took a toy that was part " analog" ( mini queen) and part " virtual" ( mini screen on back side of rotating chamber), and combined to single, " virtual" image on a fixed screen. He mentions moving it a bit to the left of xenomorph head, which makes sense.

I think it's fine, and certainly no worse than a mini Xeno queen toy next to the big head.

Anxious to see the final LE package flipping in a video, so we can get these things in the world ( and one in my game room)

Thanks team, for all of your hard work.....this will be the terror pin we've all been waiting for!!!...mark

#9783 2 years ago
Quoted from bane:

Of course the scale of the airlock also does not match the scale of the xeno head, nor will anything displayed in it.

Perhaps that's precisely why placing an LCD displaying game data there most of the time makes so much sense?

What would you have them do for scale there? Cut off the big toe of the Alien Queen and mount it there? Would that work better for you?

#9784 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I meant the the bezel around the small LCD, I need to see this game in person or even a full T to judge that bezel for the glass,

#9785 2 years ago

As long as when the Xeno head is in play, the LCD & all GI is cut like alveolus suggested above and we get some strobe lighting/flashers and Alien hissing/attack sounds and effects, during the ball eating intro by the Xeno head I wont give a damn what's next to it, it will be one of the best sights in pinball

#9786 2 years ago

The Zeno ball eating movement would look pretty cool with a close by strobe light exaggerating the motion for effect. Great idea!!!

#9787 2 years ago

Not my idea "alveolus" mentioned it a dozen posts or so further up, but watching the Alien promo video back with "alveolus" suggestion in my head makes the whole Xeno ball attack/eat so much better, the promo video is really well lite for obvious reasons so we can see everything clearly but, watch the promo and imagine the playfield GI off or flickering and flashers going off (strobe effect) especially a couple close to the Xeno with Alien hissing sound effects & holy sh*t its a game changer!

Go watch it back for yourself with those thoughts in mind

#9788 2 years ago

Yeah I thumbed up the post. Agreed.

A strobing effect frequency timed to make the tongue mech in operation more shocking would add to the whole in a very positive way.

#9789 2 years ago

I personally think the Airlock bezel is too big as well.

We had a hardware restriction with this unit before Christmas, and this is one reason for the current size of the bezel. However this issue has now been fixed by our supplier. Essentially, we had a very short screen to driver board cable that restricted how, and where, we could mount the driver board. We now have a longer cable that removes this restriction.

We will address this on 3rd January - our first day back.

If possible, we will make the unit and bezel smaller to give the xenomorph as much space as possible to stand out.

#9790 2 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

If possible, we will make the unit and bezel smaller to give the xenomorph as much space as possible to stand out.

Thumbs up on the above. Does the screen rotate when not in use or was I dreaming that?

#9791 2 years ago

I think what's really cool, is that we are now going back and forth on the trim, around one toy, and therefore verrrry close to finished and getting these out the door!

#9792 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

At this point it's beyond pointless to try and make everyone happy

At any point! Someone on pinside will bitch no matter what. Having any back and forth in a forum on design decisions would be unheard of in most industries.

#9793 2 years ago
Quoted from bane:

Sure, you're right. And that's pinball, toys aren't really in scale ever. But I think it will help to have two different mediums. Meaning an LCD animation next to the Xeno won't feels as odd as another sculpt, where the scale differences feel more obvious.

I trust the team in Wales will get the frame mounted right and feeling good, couple rough edges on that proto, but nothing that's a big deal.

Edit: Hadn't seen Andrew's post yet, so there you have it. Wales will get the physical design sorted, and I'll help figure out the art and frame changes around the LCD after that.

#9794 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I like both, but personally I like Sterns placement/sizing the best out of all the current LCD options, it allows for the best of both worlds, a good size screen with plenty of room for nice animations and a good size translite, if I can always have both its the choice I would always make, I love seeing translite art when my games are off, its pinball

I don't really get wanting to have some static art you never really look at over a large animated display. Who really looks at backglass art when the game is off? When it's on you're playing it.

#9795 2 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

I personally think the Airlock bezel is too big as well.
We had a hardware restriction with this unit before Christmas, and this is one reason for the current size of the bezel. However this issue has now been fixed by our supplier. Essentially, we had a very short screen to driver board cable that restricted how, and where, we could mount the driver board. We now have a longer cable that removes this restriction.

I still think use the existing motor to turn the existing queen model and light it with strobes or flashing LEDs. It should be the only thing lit when activated. Add some scary sounds and bingo, Alien Queen mode. LCDs are great but two is enough.

#9796 2 years ago

Alrighty, it's almost 2017 - let's stop redesigning this thing and release it...looking forward to the 4 Heighway games a year already - Alien seems to be the roadblock. Ship it!!! Next!!!

#9797 2 years ago

The back box LCD is optional, correct? This means that for many there will just be the two smaller screens so it wouldn't be overkill... not that 3 screens is overkill.

#9798 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

The back box LCD is optional, correct?

Right, "standard" is ZERO screens in back box. So this adds a little "feature" LCD...oh nooooooo, overrrrrkillll

#9799 2 years ago

Just saying game looks awesome. I can't believe people are complaining about having an extra display. Pinside lol. I say put a few more in.

#9800 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Just saying game looks awesome. I can't believe people are complaining about having an extra display. Pinside lol. I say put a few more in.

The extra display will look great. Dial-in and Batman 66 are using this idea... which I believe Heighway Actually innovated in their prototype designs.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 196 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside