pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 601.
#9051 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

CL was going for a very specific look. I think that look was achieved. Not everything has to be an insane colour explosion like Ghostbusters or Batman '66.

It's not about having a "color explosion"...Ghostbusters & Batman have cohesive styles in terms of character design, composition, and color. The P3 games do not have this. Sorry, I'm trying to be constructive and not attack...but GB and B66 look professionally designed. P3 games look amateurish. They remind me of 99 Cent Store coloring books filled in with water colors. Forget Stern's recent games...just look at how some B/W translites look in terms of how they're composed and painted. Here are some cartoony ones for reference. Please tell me you see the difference in design and rendering? I'm sorry - the art direction for P3 so far will not earn you sales. Pinball buyers view their games as art...being attractive to look at is a big part of why people bring games into their homes.

Lexy (resized).pngLexy (resized).png

EATPM (resized).jpgEATPM (resized).jpg

Cannonlagoon (resized).jpgCannonlagoon (resized).jpg

Gofers (resized).jpgGofers (resized).jpg

#9052 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Please tell me you see the difference in design and rendering?

I came on board to help them after I commented on the Lexy art. CL had a very specific target audience (not pinheads) and working with volunteer resources. I think, given the restrictions everyone was working under, the final product on CL is much improved.

The CL translight looks a lot better in person when it's properly lit, but that's another topic.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Sorry, I'm trying to be constructive and not attack...

When I gave my opinion on the Lexy artwork and then was approached to help the art effort on the next games, I put my money where my mouth was and stepped up to help, because my motivation was to improve pinball in general. I think I had a positive effect on the art package. If you think you can do a better job, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to get your help as well.

#9053 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

gave my opinion on the Lexy artwork and then was approached to help the art effort on the next games, I put my money where my mouth was and stepped up to help, because my motivation was to improve pinball in general. I think I had a positive effect on the art package. If you think you can do a better job, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to get your help as well.

Ohp, I was waiting for the "if you can do it better" ...hey- I might be able to, I might not...I'm not here to tell you I'm better. It's not personal. I have a full-time job directing art and animation, I have no interest or time to get into pinball art....but I can look at something and have an opinion and give useful feedback. It's not just me...c'mon, you know others share this opinion, as you have not seen any applause from the pinball community about the artwork on these games. You saw how people reacted to GB's art. That says it all. I think out of respect for Gerry and the platform, people haven't been too chatty about it...and I know Gerry probably wants to smack me every time I bring it up. However, my criticism is out of my love of the P3 platform...I've been a fan of it since I played it at the Pacific Pinball Expo. I think it's a brilliant design and has massive potential for beautiful and fun games...but it's that brilliant design that presents its biggest challenge - the art and animation have to be excellent for the whole package to come together.

#9054 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Only thing I'm not fond of is the spinning chamber to the left of the Alien head ball lock.

Agreed, and you're not alone in thinking that, a lot of people brought it up, it was probably the only really negative feedback from Expo frankly, even with things not working right all the time on the protos. And you won't find internal disagreement, so (clears throat for Stern voice) stay tuned.

#9055 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

If you think you can do a better job, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to get your help as well.

#9056 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You saw how people reacted to GB's art. That says it all.

With respect, the interest in a popular theme by an established and industry-leading company is almost always going to blow away initial interest in a paradigm-changing startup and an original theme. There are of course exceptions, but introducing big change into an industry so strongly rooted in tradition is its own challenge, and we're overcoming it, slowly but surely. I won't argue that LL-EE artwork has seen its share of criticism, but I do find the comparison to 90's video games interesting, since that's exactly what Dennis Nordman's vision for the game was. Whether or not that was the right choice is up for debate. I really like it.

Quoted from Rarehero:

...and I know Gerry probably wants to smack me every time I bring it up.

I won't argue with that either.

Quoted from Rarehero:

However, my criticism is out of my love of the P3 platform...I've been a fan of it since I played it at the Pacific Pinball Expo. I think it's a brilliant design and has massive potential for beautiful and fun games...but it's that brilliant design that presents its biggest challenge - the art and animation have to be excellent for the whole package to come together.

Thanks for saying that. While in a perfect world we'd hit home runs on the platform and on every art packages, it's of paramount importance at this stage to make sure the platform is built properly. The artwork, especially when it's as easy to replace as it is on the P3, can be improved over time (or not, depending on business tradeoffs). If anybody is interested in developing alternative artwork for any P3 game, please contact me. We might even sponsor the effort, but at the very least we'd consider licensing assets and helping you sell the resulting artwork.

Trying to bring this back on topic so I can step out of this thread semi-graciously... the Heighway platform clearly has swappable artwork too. People have such varying opinions on art that having the ability to swap it is an enormously important feature. I envision there being multiple art packages for some of the more popular games.

... and I played Alien at Expo (in the side room with the glass off) and enjoyed it. I strangely found myself looking at the upper screen instead of the playfield one, and I honestly can't explain that since I'm so used to keeping my eyes on the playfield of the P3. The big screen looks great, IMO.

- Gerry
http://www.multimorphic.com

#9057 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have a full-time job directing art and animation, I have no interest or time to get into pinball art...

You have an opportunity to actually do something about it, and perhaps expand your perspective on the subject so you can have a more nuanced opinion. I know I do.

By posting your opinion you clearly show an interest in pinball art, but if I had a dollar for every time a client said "punch it up!" I'd be a millionaire - that sort of advice is meaningless. Better to actively guide an art team with constructive guidance and directly influence the outcome. As for having no time, I worked on that project part time while having a full time job and a newborn baby, so that's not really much of an excuse either.

#9058 7 years ago

Thinking of changing that spinning Queen airlock toy huh? Well I'm sure you've got some extra Valentinos lying around. One small change.....problem solved

valentino hugger (resized).jpgvalentino hugger (resized).jpg

#9059 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Thinking of changing that spinning Queen airlock toy huh? Well I'm sure you've got some extra Valentinos lying around. One small change.....problem solved

#9060 7 years ago

Seriously though, I think a smaller space jockey chair might look good there. When the start mode scoop is ready, it could start spinning? Just a thought

#9061 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You have an opportunity to actually do something about it, and perhaps expand your perspective on the subject so you can have a more nuanced opinion. I know I do.
By posting your opinion you clearly show an interest in pinball art, but if I had a dollar for every time a client said "punch it up!" I'd be a millionaire - that sort of advice is meaningless. Better to actively guide an art team with constructive guidance and directly influence the outcome. As for having no time, I worked on that project part time while having a full time job and a newborn baby, so that's not really much of an excuse either.

So, in order to have an opinion on pinball art, I need to go out and convince a pinball company to give me a 2nd job I don't need or want?

Okeedokeee

Sorry, regardless of whether I want to or am capable of doing your job or not...I'm a potential customer. These are my opinions as a potential customer. Why do I need a more nuanced opinion other than "This looks unappealing" ? Again, I'm not the only one with this opinion...sales will tell the truth.

Quoted from gstellenberg:

With respect, the interest in a popular theme by an established and industry-leading company is almost always going to blow away initial interest in a paradigm-changing startup and an original theme.

I'm purely just talking about art, though. Game of Thrones was a popular theme but the reaction to the art was overwhelmingly negative. I'm a GOT fan and a Steve Ritchie fan, but the art alone made the game a hard pass for me.

#9062 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So, in order to have an opinion on pinball art, I need to go out and convince a pinball company to give me a 2nd job I don't need or want?

No, you're welcome to the opinion. We actually agree on a few points I think. But when offered the chance to put your opinion to practice, you decline. To me that lessens the value of that opinion if you're not willing to back it up. You may disagree, that's fine. It's a lot easier to put something down than to do something about it.

#9063 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

No, you're welcome to the opinion. We actually agree on a few points I think. But when offered the chance to put your opinion to practice, you decline. To me that lessens the value of that opinion if you're not willing to back it up. You may disagree, that's fine. It's a lot easier to put something down than to do something about it.

So anyone who has the opinion that the art could be improved has lesser value to you if they're unwilling to seek out pinball art employment?

Seriously, wtf do you want me to do about it? Tell Gerry to fire you and hire me? No - sorry, it's your job to do your job.

#9064 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

There is a difference in knowing that something needs help, and being able to spend the time doing it. Why should a potential customer have to step in and expend their own resources just to bring a product up to the quality of something they would buy?

Quoted from jwilson:

As for having no time, I worked on that project part time while having a full time job and a newborn baby, so that's not really much of an excuse either.

Everyone has their own stuff going on. Don't overlook valuable feedback just because someone can't spend the time to fix it themselves.

#9065 7 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Aurich will reply to my comment here with his usual story of how he has me blocked and cant read but he somehow reads me anyway. Then of course, he will tell a much different version.

Aurich is the only person I have ever put on ignore and since that time my blood pressure has gone from 155/102 to 118/78.

Thanks Ignore Button!!

#9066 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

And you won't find internal disagreement, so (clears throat for Stern voice) stay tuned.

Awesome!

#9067 7 years ago

Anybody thinking this isn't the place for discussions on P3's art?
Somebody say something alien related. The rest of you STFU. No , i will not be nice.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9068 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Best thing for him IMO.

#9069 7 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Anybody thinking this isn't the place for discussions on P3's art?
Somebody say something alien related. The rest of you STFU. No , i will not be nice.

Agreed. I've been wanting to say something.

Looking forward to some more gameplay video from Heighway once their games arrive back! The shackles are off now so no reason why we can't start seeing more stuff.

#9070 7 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Somebody say something alien related.

aliens (resized).jpgaliens (resized).jpg

#9071 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Seriously though, I think a smaller space jockey chair might look good there. When the start mode scoop is ready, it could start spinning? Just a thought

We already have the visual representation of the space jockey pretty well established for the game. Popping it in place of the queen airlock wouldn't actually solve much since the biggest criticism was that people found the Queen's scale next to the xenomorph rather underwhelming, and the same scale issue would happen if we were to attempt this.

#9072 7 years ago

I'd rather not hear that major playfield pieces are getting changed to be honest. There comes a point at which you have to say "It's done." and get over the things you wish you could have done better. I mean, how can such a thing be changing, and yet Heighway be "in production"?

#9073 7 years ago
Quoted from PinJump:

I'd rather not hear that major playfield pieces are getting changed to be honest. There comes a point at which you have to say "It's done." and get over the things you wish you could have done better. I mean, how can such a thing be changing, and yet Heighway be "in production"?

I'd be willing to bet that anyone with money down or intentionally waiting for the game to become available for purchase would agree with Expo hands-on consensus that this component required reworking and would be happy to wait for a superior finished product, if indeed this does create a delay — which it may not.

#9074 7 years ago

How much do you want to bet? I have money down and played it at Expo.

#9075 7 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Aurich is the only person I have ever put on ignore and since that time my blood pressure has gone from 155/102 to 118/78.
Thanks Ignore Button!!

Please don't bump posts that are 17 days old from people that are banned from the thread.

#9076 7 years ago
Quoted from PinJump:

I mean, how can such a thing be changing, and yet Heighway be "in production"?

Because 'production' simply means they've started making 'stuff'. Ordering the components, building sub-assemblies, etc.. this is all 'production'. not necessarily 'assembling playfields'

#9077 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Please don't bump posts that are 17 days old from people that are banned from the thread.

Are you all of a sudden a moderator now?

#9078 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Because 'production' simply means they've started making 'stuff'. Ordering the components, building sub-assemblies, etc.. this is all 'production'. not necessarily 'assembling playfields'

But clearly not all the sub assemblies, if they're altering the design a major one. It's tough to truly be in production while still working on the design.

And please understand I am a big fan of Andrew and the team, and no one that doesn't work for or have ownership in the company is rooting more for them than I am.

Anyways I'll let it go because whatever is happening is already in motion. All I can do now is hope the game isn't delayed much more, or the game play is hugely improved because of it, or both. But the question of whether it's really fair to ask for further payment at this time is, I think, a fair one.

#9079 7 years ago

As a reminder, here's a great post from a couple weeks ago with some of the things to be worked on, including a mention of the airlock toy...

Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

This next week in particular is going to be a busy one in Wales as we start making those revisions; taking on board the feedback, making improvements and fixing things that aren't 100-percent right yet. The airlock is going to constructed differently from the more plasticy demonstration version, with a metal endoskeleton; the orbit diverter will be implemented and secondary magnet made fully functional, which will improve flow to the upper right flipper; and the platforms will be reworked for rigidity, easier construction and the inclusion of fibre-optic lighting and potential flashers and spotlights. As far as the shots go, the game is complete; we had one or two minor issues there related to the playfield, but were able to solve them before the show and get the overall feel of the game as solid as a rock.

#9080 7 years ago

Did anyone hear that music during Tunnel Escape, thats simply amazing, for me like Seige mode in TWD or Horde, those moments are super rare in pinball, I think this pin will do some serious blowing of minds in a home environment with darkness and good volume, how couldn't it, very excited.

#9081 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Did anyone hear that music during Tunnel Escape, thats simply amazing, for me like Seige mode in TWD or Horde, those moments are super rare in pinball, I think this pin will do some serious blowing of minds in a home environment with darkness and good volume, how couldn't it, very excited.

Playing it at expo w headphones at expo, EVEN w a 60" LED blaring like shit( with sports) right over the top of it was still a defining moment. The reveal had amazing vibe, imho.....no blankets, no huge marketing buildup, no " leave the room and come back"...just a badass machine stuffed in a bar w mob environment.....almost like some kind of secret release that was a true game changer. Really, really glad I was there to witness pb history....I've got the T shirt to prove it....

Just can't describe how immersive the game is. Hope everyone gets to play one someday....

#9082 7 years ago

Might be "pinball poor" now, but am blown away with the chance to grab a nostalgia grail ( BM66LE) , and SciFi grail ( ALIENLE)....no way I could be more excited to add these....

#9083 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

3DO and Atari Jaguar too?

Two out of three...!

20161101_210947 (resized).jpg20161101_210947 (resized).jpg

#9084 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

This is exactly what happened on the Friday evening at Expo. I was interviewed with the game for a major TV documentary. Then I had to play the game for the cameras.

The private room had all the lights off. The sound was pumped up. The beacons were flashing continuously and bouncing off all the walls. Brian had put the very latest code on it so even I saw lots of new additions for the very first time.

It's not right for me to go into too much detail about my own feelings that night as it can be rightly argued that I can't be objective.

But I don't think I am speaking out of line when I say that others in the room felt they were very special moments.

#9085 7 years ago

Just waiting for release to order both a Full Throttle and Alien conversion. Pretty excited and watching Alien now.

#9086 7 years ago
Quoted from focusmediagroup:

Just waiting for release to order both a Full Throttle and Alien conversion. Pretty excited and watching Alien now.

We're Canada's distributor for Heighway Pinball. We have Full Throttle in stock and are currently taking orders for Alien. Let us know when you decide to pull the trigger. We're pretty excited as well!

Tommy Floyd
www.NITROPINBALL.com
Toll Free: 1-855-366-4876

#9087 7 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Best thing for him IMO.

Then you may appreciate this

IMG_4695 (resized).JPGIMG_4695 (resized).JPG

#9088 7 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Two weeks doesn't sound that bad now that I've been waiting for over a month for a response from Cointaker. They replied within hours when I was asking about a deposit, nothing but silence since I sent them money. Making we wish I ordered direct from Heighway now.

Feel bad for bad mouthing Cointaker when I finally got in touch with Melissa and learned they were/are having email server issues. Should be fixed soon and Melissa was helpful as always, just some dumb tech problems. If you're not ordering direct and in the US Cointaker has been great so far, give them your business/money!

#9089 7 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Feel bad for bad mouthing Cointaker when I finally got in touch with Melissa and learned they were/are having email server issues. Should be fixed soon and Melissa was helpful as always, just some dumb tech problems. If you're not ordering direct and in the US Cointaker has been great so far, give them your business/money!

Another strong recommendation for CoinTaker, Chris and Melissa. My FTh LE was delivered last week and I am very happy with the game and Cointaker's performance.

#9090 7 years ago

I have to put it out there that nitro helped every step of the way when I had a few small issues . Buy with confidence from tommy , while in Canada !

#9091 7 years ago
Quoted from PinJump:

I mean, you're not wrong, but let me clarify a bit, just to settle people's nerves.

The games at Expo were prototypes, and one of them was rushed to be finished in time for the show. They had little issues. Like at the party the scoop failed (we figured out why and it's not a problem now) and there was a napkin stuffed in it to keep the ball from getting stuck!

And yet, even with the issues, everyone was super positive. They recognized that we were putting these out in public for the first time, and were very understanding of hiccups. They saw the vision, they saw it flip, and they got it. Feedback was great!

I bring this up because even with all the understanding and positive vibes, no one was digging the airlock. It was the one thing I heard complaints about. Heard a lot of "Joker coffee can" references. And to be straight up blunt I didn't like it either. Why is it round? Sure, helps it spin, but it makes no sense for the airlock to be curved.

Then once it spins around the Queen sculpt that Matt did is great. But the scale just feels weird next to the Xeno head. Heard that a lot too. Not Matt's fault, he couldn't make it bigger, but all of the pieces keep putting out the same message: this isn't working, this isn't right.

We'd be morons to not listen to feedback like that. And so one of the things I did after Expo was write a long email (you guys know how long I can get) breaking down how I saw the issues and pitching an alternative idea.

The team is on board with my suggestion, but until we test it we don't want to announce it. But when I saw the complaint about the airlock I felt like I wanted to address it, and say "yes, you're right, we hear you, we're going to make it better".

If my idea works out I think it will make way more sense, not just for the game, but also why it's a reasonable change to make. So just give us some time to test things out before we make any promises, but know that nobody is trying to introduce new delays, just trying to make sure we get things right.

#9092 7 years ago

^^^ I really respect that when you turn down an idea, you bring up an alternative solution. I SO welcome that where I work. It's easy to bitch; it takes effort to come up with an alternative or solution. Bravo!

#9093 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Quoted from Pale_Purple:Two weeks doesn't sound that bad now that I've been waiting for over a month for a response from Cointaker. They replied within hours when I was asking about a deposit, nothing but silence since I sent them money. Making we wish I ordered direct from Heighway now.
Call them. They're terrible with email but generally responsive when you phone. I found Chris better than Melissa.

4 emails so far and tried calling 3 times today, no one picking up!!!!

#9094 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The team is on board with my suggestion, but until we test it we don't want to announce it. But when I saw the complaint about the airlock I felt like I wanted to address it, and say "yes, you're right, we hear you, we're going to make it better".

I hope its a P 5000 powerloader that spins around.. It fits in theme and fits in size / scale

--Jeff

#9095 7 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

I hope its a P 5000 powerloader that spins around.. It fits in theme and fits in size / scale

2 words: Cat Head

#9096 7 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Try sending him a message via PM, it worked for me.

#9097 7 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

Eh, you remember there's a time difference right?

Also, are you really ordering via CoinTaker when in the UK? AFAIK there are UK distributors.

#9098 7 years ago

Come on cat...

likable-cat-head-pillow-stuffed-animal-c_TW22752_1 (resized).jpglikable-cat-head-pillow-stuffed-animal-c_TW22752_1 (resized).jpg

#9099 7 years ago

For the queen

Quoted from Aurich:

I thought you guys were on to something with the second LCD, make a plastic frame that looks like the outer part of the airlock and most of the time have the inner doors closed on the screen but when in queen battle mode it could be an animated battle between the loader/ripley and the queen (except it doesnt sound like you can show images of ripley..)

a2_40 (resized).jpga2_40 (resized).jpg
Airlock_AllMaps_4print_03 (resized).jpgAirlock_AllMaps_4print_03 (resized).jpg
1-YncRFo04nRdb8C92SzY8oA (resized).png1-YncRFo04nRdb8C92SzY8oA (resized).png

#9100 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The team is on board with my suggestion

Yes, this is a machine to get right. I really don't think anyone is expecting it before Feb/March of next year. No need to rush it out. Measure twice, cut once....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,999 (OBO)
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 30,035 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/182 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.