• 24,687 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Durzel
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,844 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0FA2E8F6-6E66-4461-98A2-D8504806460B (resized).jpeg
20190621_225940.jpg
image (resized).jpg
DSCN6780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3414 (resized).JPG
IMG_3415 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 494.
#851 4 years ago

I secured my LE shortly after the announcement, I knew April was an unrealistic shipping estimate. But I do hope to start seeing them being built at least this summer.

#852 4 years ago

First off, this is me just speculating here....

Full Throttle originally was going to come out December 2014 (this was said at Expo when the April Alien date was said).

So if the first Full Throttles start arriving in April.. that is a 4 month delay. If the same 4 month delay pushes everything back (and why wouldn't it, Full Throttle needs its time being produced and sold) that puts Alien starting delivery around August.

I hate to be pessimistic beyond that, but we also know how pinball scheduling works. and Alien is dealing with a license, people have to sign off on stuff. So it's quite possible Heighway will be showing up with the first Aliens at Expo.

He must get the Full Throttles out though, if he can at least do that he'll join the "Get shit done" club and is producing and selling actual pinballs, and that hopefully will put Alien buyers minds at ease.

#853 4 years ago

I want this pin soooo bad but I'm not preordering anything anymore. Fingers crossed for you gents waiting. Hoping for a day before summer is out when I can drool with envy over your new Aliens pin!

My (supposed) losses on PRED have me very cautious..
5 grand better spent if Kevin doesn't come through.

#854 4 years ago

Heighway is already in the "Get Sh-t Done" club as far as manufacturing goes. And their quick swap systems will only allow them to produce games quicker I imagine.

#855 4 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Heighway is already in the "Get Sh-t Done" club as far as manufacturing goes. And their quick swap systems will only allow them to produce games quicker I imagine.

Heighway looks promising, but I'll wait to see when aliens gets delivered first.

#856 4 years ago

I totally understand, and I'd be in the same boat as you if I hadn't already preordered. This will be the last time I preorder any pin. Predator... *shudder to think*

#857 4 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

I secured my LE shortly after the announcement, I knew April was an unrealistic shipping estimate. But I do hope to start seeing them being built at least this summer.

100% agree, and am in too....I pm w Andrew about bi weekly, and from what I can tell, he more than has his Sh..t together,.

Part of the " delay" was him listening to us...standardizing Playfield glass and adding second monitor options in backbox!!! The guy has a passion for Alien, but beyond that, is ALREADY a businessman first.

I didn't want April delivery anyway ( have to save some more money), so end of summer ( or before Holidays) is just fine for me.

Assembly line already getting ready to roll for FT....and Alien WILL be coming!!! This guy MAKES GAMES!!!

Only reason I preordered is with just 500 LE's, figured I'd never get one otherwise....mark

#858 4 years ago

I'm a big supporter of Heighway, but I don't let that cloud my vision of what is going on out there in pinball land with everything else.

He has been communicative, both here and privately with me. He called me last week out of the blue just to touch base, so, yes, things get delayed, parts are late, Chinese celebrate their new years for a month, licensors can be slow with approvals. I get it.

Until my machine shows up at my house, we're still waiting. But I told him I'll be happy for both him and me when I get to post my pinside thread about the game showing up.

#859 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm a big supporter of Heighway, but I don't let that cloud my vision of what is going on out there in pinball land with everything else.
He has been communicative, both here and privately with me. He called me last week out of the blue just to touch base, so, yes, things get delayed, parts are late, Chinese celebrate their new years for a month, licensors can be slow with approvals. I get it.
Until my machine shows up at my house, we're still waiting. But I told him I'll be happy for both him and me when I get to post my pinside thread about the game showing up.

Completely agree w/ you....I've never preordered before, but Alien is my dream Title. Also did research on Heighway a bit first, and in no way does this Company resemble some of the insanity going on elsewhere on Pinside. Andrew is not a startup, by any stretch...but yes, I'm anxious to see your unboxing pics too!!!...mark

#860 4 years ago

Well, the latest update is a request for 50% payment today as production is starting THIS Monday (March 30).

Other 50% will be collected when they send a photo of my game at the end of the line ready for shipping .

Edit: Sorry, was speaking of FULL THROTTLE. Posted this in the wrong thread.

#861 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, the latest update is a request for 50% payment today as production is starting THIS Monday (March 30).
Other 50% will be collected when they send a photo of my game at the end of the line ready for shipping .

This is for Full Throttle right? To clarify?

#862 4 years ago
Quoted from DrStarkweather:

This is for Full Throttle right? To clarify?

Yes, sorry, wrong Heighway thread, but still relevant to Alien.

#863 4 years ago

Production starting on their first game is a huge milestone! I know they did the Bacardi thing, and it was a great test of their ability to Get Shit Done™, but doing a real pin is a big step up from that.

Love the business model here. 50% before production, 50% with a pic of your game. Sounds super reasonable to me!

#864 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

50% before production, 50% with a pic of your game. Sounds super reasonable to me!

Sounds familiar.....

#865 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Sounds familiar.....

Yup, just waiting for you to show up and promise me your info is so good that I am safe and should keep waiting...
Are you in on this pin or just popping in to be helpful again?

#866 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Yup, just waiting for you to show up and promise me your info is so good that I am safe and should keep waiting...
Dupester!

...are you serious...or just being an ass?

#867 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Sounds familiar.....

Yeah, sounds like what Spooky did with AMH

#868 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

...are you serious...or just being an ass?

You got off too easy amigo

#869 4 years ago
Quoted from Krakatoa:

Yeah, sounds like what Spooky did with AMH

Yes! Can't wait to see their second game and more on Alien!

#870 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

You got off too easy amigo

Nothing for me to "get off" of...amigo...

#871 4 years ago

Can we please leave other game's dramas at the door? Take it to PM if you must. Heighway has been super great on the communication, they're about to start rolling the line on their first game, and we'll quickly see how legit they are or aren't. No reason to stir up dirt here, they don't deserve it.

#872 4 years ago

Agreed! Sorry...

#873 4 years ago

No official revised release date announced makes me disagree about the communication being super great. Im a potential customer and was thinking of preordering an LE but so far i feel like im glad i didnt. Its shame that has to be the case.

#874 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

No official revised release date announced makes me disagree about the communication being super great. Im a potential customer and was thinking of preordering an LE but so far i feel like im glad i didnt. Its shame that has to be the case.

Making licensed games when you have to do them properly instead of calling the number on the back of the DVD case is hard!

I've never done a pinball game, but I definitely know what it's like to work with clients that have multiple approval departments, and people have to figure out who can approve what, and requests and assets get kicked around, and you have to just cool your heels while the wheels and gears grind.

I have to think anything I've experienced has got to be way worse with a giant movie studio.

The difference with Heighway is they're offering the pre-order if you want model, not you must pre-order model.

If you want an LE you can buy one after they come out, but you do run the risk of them selling out. But that's your call, not something artificial.

Really I think everyone will probably breathe a little easier not just when Alien news is able to be released, but when Full Throttle games start arriving in people's houses. That's the real acid test, to use an apt for the topic metaphor.

#875 4 years ago

Yes, it's great being able to see the build quality on Full T and any glitches can be worked on before they get to the masterpiece...er, Alien...

#876 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

An Administrator on the Heighway forum posted in the Alien thread yesterday:

"We will be posting an update on progress very soon"

We might get telling information on Alien soon but the reality is no matter what we learn about Alien from this next update, Full Throttle has to take precedence on the assembly line and have its day before Alien pins can be born.

#877 4 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

An Administrator on the Heighway forum posted in the Alien thread yesterday:
"We will be posting an update on progress very soon"
We might get telling information on Alien soon but the reality is no matter what we learn about Alien from this next update, Full Throttle has to take precedence on the assembly line and have its day before Alien pins can be born.

FT begins production on monday. This seems to be a non issue.

#878 4 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

FT begins production on monday. This seems to be a non issue.

Agreed. So FTs will have their run on the assembly line... for how many months? Then Alien. Thus perhaps we can make a more educated 'guess' when Alien might be released. I am looking forward to experiencing the Alien pin more than anything out there now or on the horizon.

#879 4 years ago

I appreciate the information but im under the impression Alien isn't close to the assembly line phase so it isn't like FT is holding up its manufacturing. I don't want to come in here and knit pick but super great communication would incorporate accurate information. If a company wants to be transparent with their communication, I would just like it to be accurate. When it comes to the knit picking, I can list multiple missed milestones besides the inevitable significant delay when it comes to shipping this pin which I expect to be announced soon.

I am aware Andrew is basically the General Contractor of this pin and is dependent on a lot of different sub contractors located in different countries. These countries have different cultures, speak different languages, use different currency and celebrate different holidays. I learned all that in the good ole' public schools of the USA. I also understand there are steps when working with a licensor like Fox and Andrew has to follow there time-line. What I don't understand is why he said at Expo in October the game would ship in April. I don't expect a real answer but I think an apology and a more accurate ship-date would be appropriate. That is what I would consider to be "super great" communication.

#880 4 years ago

Did you email him? Also you should ask for a refund and sit back.

#881 4 years ago

If I had to make an uninformed uneducated guess I'd say you have to give FT a couple months taking up the assembly line. So absolute earliest Alien could possibly come along would be June ...or July. And that's if everything goes smoothly. Fingers crossed. I hope that giant thing under the blue tarp is an Alien Pin Hatchery!!!

#882 4 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Agreed. So FTs will have their run on the assembly line... for how many months? Then Alien. Thus perhaps we can make a more educated 'guess' when Alien might be released. I am looking forward to experiencing the Alien pin more than anything out there now or on the horizon.

When the time comes, I see no reason why multiple titles couldn't be manufactured simultaneously. Stern does it. Many non pinball manufacturers do it. That's just manufacturing. And I believe Heighway's modular system will allow them to produce games efficiently.

#883 4 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

When the time comes, I see no reason why multiple titles couldn't be manufactured simultaneously. Stern does it. Many non pinball manufacturers do it. That's just manufacturing. And I believe Heighway's modular system will allow them to produce games efficiently.

Boy oh boy wouldn't that be super impressive if Heighway were able to manufacture titles simultaneously this early? But like you said, "when the time comes," I have no doubt they could do this. I don't remember reading anything coming out of the Heighway camp on this subject though.

#884 4 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

I appreciate the information but im under the impression Alien isn't close to the assembly line phase so it isn't like FT is holding up its manufacturing. I don't want to come in here and knit pick but super great communication would incorporate accurate information. If a company wants to be transparent with their communication, I would just like it to be accurate. When it comes to the knit picking, I can list multiple missed milestones besides the inevitable significant delay when it comes to shipping this pin which I expect to be announced soon.
I am aware Andrew is basically the General Contractor of this pin and is dependent on a lot of different sub contractors located in different countries. These countries have different cultures, speak different languages, use different currency and celebrate different holidays. I learned all that in the good ole' public schools of the USA. I also understand there are steps when working with a licensor like Fox and Andrew has to follow there time-line. What I don't understand is why he said at Expo in October the game would ship in April. I don't expect a real answer but I think an apology and a more accurate ship-date would be appropriate. That is what I would consider to be "super great" communication.

You must have missed the information where he LISTENED to his customers, and added things not originally thought of....standard, wide body glass, and a second , optional display on the backbox. These take time and money to reengineer. Never once posted " these cannot be done to adhere to a timeline".

Andrew is far more than a GC, and has answered all questions in short order, in a business fashion. He is also on target to produce some awesome machines. I suspect few of us really thought ( or cared) April would happen, but he is far from needing to issue me an apology ( or forum announcement) for being delayed a bit.

Heighway has a genuine passion for what they are doing....as Hawawonyu said..pm him directly with your concerns....if you don't like his response....just get out and wait until they are built...if you can get one...mark

#885 4 years ago

I think one thing you have to remember is that Full Throttle is an unlicensed pin. Destiny was firmly in Heighway's hands for making it. No one else to answer to. And you have to respect that there were features planned for it that just didn't hold up in testing, so they were scrapped to make sure the game was as good as it could be.

Alien is the first licensed title. I don't doubt that were things fully in Heighway's control that we'd see more results already. But you're a bit of a slave to the licensor's schedule when it comes to approvals, and it's not the kind of thing you can show in-progress work on when you're waiting for that response. So I would think we're just seeing a little of the reality of that side of the game appearing. Big corporations aren't exactly known for moving fast.

No reason to doubt what they're doing, the first game is about to hit the line, let them keep learning their lessons, listening to the fan base, and do what's needed to make a great game. Alien is a killer license.

#886 4 years ago

Just confirmed I can now order my pdi glass. They changed the specs for us. A couple of months behind and we get cool adjustments like this! Hell yeah

#887 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Alien is the first licensed title. I don't doubt that were things fully in Heighway's control that we'd see more results already. But you're a bit of a slave to the licensor's schedule when it comes to approvals, and it's not the kind of thing you can show in-progress work on when you're waiting for that response. So I would think we're just seeing a little of the reality of that side of the game appearing. Big corporations aren't exactly known for moving fast.

I think it is easy to read between the lines here and figure out what is going on. Andrew already showed us a very rudimentary flipping white wood, and said he'd show us the backglass when approved and here we are still haven't seen it. So it's not hard to figure out who's court the ball is in.

Then we look at the experience of games like TBL, how it took them several months to show us much of anything, far longer than they wanted, and then when we did see stuff we learned it wasn't all signed off on and that was a problem.

Of course there is Predator on the flipside, where we saw the art get worked on with daily updates, and have since learned that is exactly how things DO NOT work.

With his April release date going out the window I'm sure he has regrets about being so bullish about stating it, but I'm sure these are lessons learned and the infrastructure he's setting up for quick game development will pay off in the future, even if we're seeing some unanticipated delays now.

#888 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think it is easy to read between the lines here and figure out what is going on. Andrew already showed us a very rudimentary flipping white wood, and said he'd show us the backglass when approved and here we are still haven't seen it. So it's not hard to figure out who's court the ball is in.

Or maybe they don't want to risk the FT public attention to drop into the shadows with it being this close to market. You have to believe the Alien reveal reactions are going to hit like a tsunami and encompass the limelight.

Pinball News recently let slip Heighway... "recently concluded a licensing deal with Fox to make a Pinball game based on one of their classic sci-fi titles..."

"Concluded" - that's very telling. Could mean to make a Pin or could mean concluded.

#889 4 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Or maybe they don't want to risk the FT public attention to drop into the shadows with it being this close to market. You have to believe the Alien reveal reactions are going to hit like a tsunami and encompass the limelight.

Well, whatever the reasons, it can only help Full Throttle to be the only game we're talking about. When the Full Throttles start arriving and look like exciting games, I'm willing to bet a lot of people will consider getting one, knowing Alien is a $4k "upgrade" down the road, so it doesn't have to be an either/or choice.

#890 4 years ago

^^^^Agree ^^^^

#891 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

With his April release date going out the window I'm sure he has regrets about being so bullish about stating it,

Especially since they lost Nordman over the bullishness.

I'm really interested in Heighway because of the swappable system, but I need to play a finished game before I buy one. I had some serious concerns about the build quality at expo. Andrew said those issues have been addressed, but I need to experience it for myself first. If the new quality seems up to snuff, then I'm all in on both Full Throttle and Alien.

#892 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm willing to bet a lot of people will consider getting one, knowing Alien is a $4k "upgrade" down the road

Is there any announcement about the price for "upgrades" (featuring novel PF/BG/Cabinet artwork/code)? I just checked on their website, could not find the information.

#893 4 years ago

Andrew gave the $3900 US price before, my apologies to him if it has changed or something. It is not on the website, but I found other references to it on Pinside.

Because it is not on his website lets call that "unofficial". That is also US$, and he is overseas, so not sure how it will translate to other currencies, other than there is a significant discount for buying a kit for an existing Heighway game.

#894 4 years ago

The piece that I'm still curious about is that if you purchase an LE and the cabinet/trim is specific to a certain game, how is that going to impact future add-on games you purchase? I mean the black glossy cabinet with green trim for an Alien LE may not look right with whatever the next game is. Maybe getting an LE is more for those that just plan to buy the whole units everytime? This is one of the big reasons I'm leaning more towards the standards.

#895 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Maybe getting an LE is more for those that just plan to buy the whole units everytime? This is one of the big reasons I'm leaning more towards the standards.

I feel this is a big issue and needs to be addressed to make everything interchangeable possibly including trim? I want the LE features but seems silly if it doesn't allow me to transition it to the next game(s) well then seems standard is the way to go. Curious to see how this all plays out.

#896 4 years ago

I suspect Alien is much further along than we think ( or are allowed access to at this point), but agree w Frolic that all of his efforts are getting Full Throttle out the door, as a solid, enjoyable game first.

We may all be surprised how quickly things move after that. They are definitely implementing some impressive manufacturing techniques already ( other titles w interchangeable play fields? Zero), so I'm happy for them to be completely confident in what they are releasing BEFORE they release it.

No one wants this title more than me, and appreciate Andrew's " bullish" take on the timeline, but never gave April a "hard" date in my decision making process.....mark

#897 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

The piece that I'm still curious about is that if you purchase an LE and the cabinet/trim is specific to a certain game, how is that going to impact future add-on games you purchase? I mean the black glossy cabinet with green trim for an Alien LE may not look right with whatever the next game is. Maybe getting an LE is more for those that just plan to buy the whole units everytime? This is one of the big reasons I'm leaning more towards the standards.

Suspect you're right...I think Alien LE will remain a "core" machine ( they are only making 500), and the standards would all be swappable. I'm just guessing, but seems to make sense ....he previously stated they were working on several titles at the moment, so could be very cool in standard land...

#898 4 years ago

I'm pretty certain Andrew said the cones and lights on the LE can be bought as separate mods for the standard.

I think the LEs are really for people that love the particular theme and see keeping it dedicated.

#899 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I suspect Alien is much further along than we think ( or are allowed access to at this point)

Well, we've been told there was a virtual table that was already designed and shown to Fox some time ago. Then the whitewood build which we've seen start. So the likely hangup is getting the clearance for the art, which fortunately can be the last step anyways. But it also means it delays us seeing it.

#900 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Well, we've been told there was a virtual table that was already designed and shown to Fox some time ago. Then the whitewood build which we've seen start. So the likely hangup is getting the clearance for the art, which fortunately can be the last step anyways. But it also means it delays us seeing it.

Agree w you on both topics ....seeing the Artwork has me most excited at this point...we know he's anxious to show it, but has to go through the motions.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 24687 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 494.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside