DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 173 of 601.
#8601 7 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Chrome is not a great choice for this title and I would like to have the black nickel as an option

I don't know about the viability of black nickel.

But either gloss black or satin black on all metal surfaces would look good IMO.

If you look at the promo pics, the chrome legs look out of place.

I have done a lot of my pins in gloss black. Here's a Demo Man, it's the only one I have on my phone at present. AFM and NF look stunning in gloss black IMO and I think Alien would too.

rd

IMG_0340 (resized).JPGIMG_0340 (resized).JPG

#8602 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

But either gloss black or satin black on all metal surfaces would look good IMO.

Yeah, I think these options are good also.

#8603 7 years ago

Aurich -

Love the art on this pin - I know you had to work with a lot of existing media but it still looks killer. I've been dying to know if the Xenomorph on the playfield up by the big alien head toy is a tribute of sorts to Space Invaders? (taking back what was stolen? ha) Very similar pose

#8604 7 years ago

Hoping Andrew comes thru with the nickel option. The darker the better on this game!

If the only 2 options are chrome and green then I think I would rather have the standard trim with a discount that I could use towards the inv glass, in fact I would like that anyway. Andrew please consider this as an option for us early fully paid faithful folk out there.

#8605 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So now that we're getting closer to production & the LE artwork is getting created, can someone please comment if Andrew is still considering making a black nickel trim option? That option did have quite a bit of support in this thread a few weeks back.
I'm sure I'm not the only owner who plans on playfield swapping on their Alien LE, and that green trim is so specific to this theme that something more neutral like black nickel would work better with other titles. And while the chrome trim option looks beautiful, it's still pretty pricey. Perhaps their will be some type of mid-tier option, other than the green?
I know trim color is probably last on your priority list right now, but my fingers are crossed for another option

I did ask my platers the question, but they weren't optimisitic.

I haven't given up yet though - and will try some other suppliers.

The cost of the polished reflective chrome-type trim option may come down as well

#8606 7 years ago

Great question as I agree 100% with you. Chrome is not a great choice for this title and I would like to have the black nickel as an option. I ordered my LE from the beginning and if I'm stuck with the green as the only option, I'll send the trim out for the black nickel treatment. Hoping Andrew comes thru with the nickel option. The darker the better on this game!

Black will also be an option at no extra cost for all LE customers

#8607 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I also can't say enough about Aliens! Indeed, a few bumps, but all to be worked out.
Andrew and his team must have drank all the coffee there to keep up, as the energy and enthusiasm was
Unmatched.
But I do have something to say on the game. I'd call this a strategic game, like we haven't seen before!
Gameplay rules shine in the way players want. This is not a game you play and walk away from.
It's like chess to checkers. A user competitive game among friends or alone in battle.
It succeeds in this way different than others.
It's so much more than shoot the blinking light. Strategic play will give this game tenure and respect once more people
get to play.
The toys are great, the screen clips integrate beautifully, and in chatting with Andrew about lighting
....thats not even been touched as to what's coming!
It's not Batman, or Dialed in. It's not better or worse, it's just so creatively different, that I'd say it's the most challenging!
Based on guessing Batman, which will be Nostalgic fun, and Creative code, Dialed in for fun, it's Aliens for a challenge, a battle,
and the endless fun of repeat game, point, mode, and battle strategy!
I get the feeling when these start getting in locations, tournaments, and homes, more will share their unique strategies in play.
IMO, if I had all 3 new games, I'd play dialed in for fun, Batman for nostalgia, and Aliens for battle.
There's so much to get excited about on this game, I'd need months of play to scratch the surface.
I honestly feel this a game that is needed in every collection, for what it offers in brilliant play.
Now, which games to sell to make room.....
Damn great job! Thanks to all at Highway and on the team.
Your passion shows, and we are all rewarded with an instant classic of endless challenges!

Couldn't agree more ( except the Dialed In part)....the pin just has an amazing feel to it, and even though it was shown in proto form, this machine WILL be a must have, if you're at all interested in the theme ( maybe even if you're not).

Andrew and team were unbelievable as well....I've never seen quite the " party crash" that happened at the Twin Peaks reveal. I was there a bit early, the hostess actually asked me for my invitation, and I patiently waited for 9pm, as the team was frantically setting the games up.

At approx 9:05, the side doors flew open, and literally hundreds ( yes, at least 2-3) crashed through the side doors, and consumed the place...Alien and FT playing non stop, lines ( sort of, more like mob packs) at the machines, and mounds and mounds of chicken wings, with endless beer pitchers. No way Andrew could have anticipated this, and the team kicked into gear ( even though they couldn't be seen most of the time). Very, very impressive. ( would not want to have seen that tab).

This pin is something special, make no mistake...great to see all the positive posts!!!....

#8608 7 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Aurich -
Love the art on this pin - I know you had to work with a lot of existing media but it still looks killer. I've been dying to know if the Xenomorph on the playfield up by the big alien head toy is a tribute of sorts to Space Invaders? (taking back what was stolen? ha) Very similar pose

That drawing came from a Dark Horse comic. No tribute deliberately made, it was more like "what assets can I use?" I mean, just to be totally honest, I had a folder full of images scraped up from the archives, most of them too low rez to use, some comic book covers, some random merchandise packaging stuff, even a whole folder full of really nice stuff from Alien Isolation that wasn't really helpful (too off from the films) and I was basically making a casserole on the fly. No guidelines beyond "this is what you can use".

I did some original drawings and renders, the planets, the inserts, stuff like that, but it was hold my breath and hope it was okay stuff, I didn't know what I was allowed to do or not.

I never saw the physical game until Expo, that was the first time I was able to stand in front of it and see if what I imagined would work from looking at CAD drawings was accurate.

It took Fox 2 months to approve the playfield. And you know, they never asked for a single change. I was stressing out the entire time, wondering what was going to happen, and then boom, good to go. And at the point no one wanted to make any changes, because repeating that process could have been suicide for the game.

The entire process was wild, nothing like it in my entire professional career.

Lots of positive feedback from Expo after people saw it all come together in person, and I appreciate everyone who had something to say. I think it all worked out in the end. But yeah, crazy.

#8609 7 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

I did ask my platers the question, but they weren't optimisitic.

I'm not an expert, but from what I've heard black nickel is crazy toxic, and a lot of places don't want to touch it, the environmental regulations are a giant pain in the ass.

#8610 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not an expert, but from what I've heard black nickel is crazy toxic, and a lot of places don't want to touch it, the environmental regulations are a giant pain in the ass.

Potentially black chrome?

#8611 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What about standard trim on the LE with a discount if worse case?

#8612 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

What about standard trim on the LE with a discount if worse case? I'll be honest not interested in the green or chrome.

Think the LE deserves some kind of cool armor over the standard, just to help justify the higher initial buy in. Lots of case area to cover, it's going to be a key visual for this game ( that's why Full Throttle looks amazing in chrome...LOTS of surface area to shine).....boy does my mind wander when it comes to some kind of wild cut armor, themed to the game ( I can't draw, but guarantee Aurich could draw some badass side rail concepts)...

#8613 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

What about standard trim on the LE with a discount if worse case?

I mean, this isn't my call, but F that. The LE needs to look bad ass. I'm not seeing a lot of enthusiasm for the green, and that's been the case from the start. Andrew and I will figure it out, but my opinion is let's get the LE art done, and then pick something that looks awesome with it.

There are tons of ways to do killer 2 stage powdercoats for instance. We'll sort it out.

#8614 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I mean, this isn't my call, but F that. The LE needs to look bad ass. I'm not seeing a lot of enthusiasm for the green, and that's been the case from the start. Andrew and I will figure it out, but my opinion is let's get the LE art done, and then pick something that looks awesome with it.
There are tons of ways to do killer 2 stage powdercoats for instance. We'll sort it out.

I'm with ya, I don't want standard trim, something that matches the art would be great, I trust you guys.

#8615 7 years ago

Can somebody please just figure it out and tell me wtf looks the best. Thank you

I can't even go to dinner and pick a place to eat. My wife and 3 girls all have different opinions and drive me bat shit crazy

I have enough stress in my life and i don't want to make another decision.

#8616 7 years ago

Pictures on official site show what looks like black trim for standard with the exception of the legs. If I have to buy a spare set of legs and get the ones that come with the machine painted black, so be it!

Is the trim black on a standard, or is that just a promotional picture?

#8617 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I sure hope standard owners can pay a lil more and get black trim. If not, I know one of the FIRST things I'll be paying someone locally here to do on mine.....

Black is standard I think, that's what they had at Expo.

#8618 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That drawing came from a Dark Horse comic. No tribute deliberately made, it was more like "what assets can I use?" I mean, just to be totally honest, I had a folder full of images scraped up from the archives, most of them too low rez to use, some comic book covers, some random merchandise packaging stuff, even a whole folder full of really nice stuff from Alien Isolation that wasn't really helpful (too off from the films) and I was basically making a casserole on the fly. No guidelines beyond "this is what you can use".
I did some original drawings and renders, the planets, the inserts, stuff like that, but it was hold my breath and hope it was okay stuff, I didn't know what I was allowed to do or not.
I never saw the physical game until Expo, that was the first time I was able to stand in front of it and see if what I imagined would work from looking at CAD drawings was accurate.
It took Fox 2 months to approve the playfield. And you know, they never asked for a single change. I was stressing out the entire time, wondering what was going to happen, and then boom, good to go. And at the point no one wanted to make any changes, because repeating that process could have been suicide for the game.
The entire process was wild, nothing like it in my entire professional career.
Lots of positive feedback from Expo after people saw it all come together in person, and I appreciate everyone who had something to say. I think it all worked out in the end. But yeah, crazy.

Oh I can totally see that now. I bet I have that Dark Horse issue. What a fascinating story this all is. Yeah probably not your *preferred* process... I guess at least they did give you those resources to use, but that's not much of a structure, and then you have to put it together and hope they like it, and of course they can make you change anything they want. I'd love to see a book or even a documentary made of this whole journey. Hm... I'll have to write up a treatment. It's as good a time as any for a pinball doc!

#8619 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

+ 1000!!! No way you can release an LE w standard trim...wtf....Art ( including armor) need to scream on the LE!!!...confident you will do just that!!!

#8620 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

+ 1000!!! No way you can release an LE w standard trim...wtf....Art ( including armor) need to scream on the LE!!!...confident you will do just that!!!

Yeah, i hope they are able to work it out so that black nickel or something similar is an option. The only way i see myself wanting a green is if it's something prismatic, textured, etc. like some of these

25826 (resized).JPG25826 (resized).JPG

epoxy_polyester_art_type_metallic_strong_style_color_b82220_powder_coating_strong_with_green_on_black_ground_wrinkle_texture_finis (resized).jpgepoxy_polyester_art_type_metallic_strong_style_color_b82220_powder_coating_strong_with_green_on_black_ground_wrinkle_texture_finis (resized).jpg

db_file_img_6890_575xauto (resized).jpgdb_file_img_6890_575xauto (resized).jpg

db_file_img_6367_575xauto (resized).jpgdb_file_img_6367_575xauto (resized).jpg

-Art-Texture-Powder-Coating-Paint-ISO-9001- (resized).jpg-Art-Texture-Powder-Coating-Paint-ISO-9001- (resized).jpg

#8621 7 years ago

Heres one I like - makes me think 'aliens' would look great with a gloss black cab

2016-10-17 22.11.06 (resized).jpg2016-10-17 22.11.06 (resized).jpg

#8622 7 years ago

I remember Mike Chestnut saying Black Nickel was a PITA all round. So maybe better to get that out of your minds.

Why not order a standard, add the flashing lights, and powdercoat the trim as you want to? Every city has a powdercoat company. I pay $8.50 NZD per leg for my powdercoating. Plus $8 a leg if it needs to be blasted.

The standard has all the PF features of the LE. Makes sense to me.

rd

#8623 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I pay $8.50 NZD per leg for my powdercoating. Plus $8 a leg if it needs to be blasted.

So is that $17 total Rd?

Two legs x $8.50?

The blasted part though sounds like it hurts

#8624 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The blasted part though sounds like it hurts

Only if you let them blast your nuts, Icey.

A pinball machine has 4 legs so you'd probably want to do them all.

Prices will vary from operator to operator but that's what I pay here, for standard Dulux powders. If you want something super custom like the bike gas tank above, that's gonna cost more, of course.

rd

#8625 7 years ago

That wheel in the above image would be killer...it looks like dense starfields with an Alien green hue.

#8626 7 years ago

I think black trim with chrome legs fit the theme perfectly...

IMG_0546.JPGIMG_0546.JPG

#8627 7 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Yeah, i hope they are able to work it out so that black nickel or something similar is an option. The only way i see myself wanting a green is if it's something prismatic, textured, etc. like some of these

I like the first photo. It's green yet gritty just like aliens. Something I would imagine being on the Dropship.

#8628 7 years ago

Will Joe/Ferret get a physical game before production starts?

Quoted from Aurich:

I didn't want to interrupt Andrew during the seminar, but any time he was referring to "individually addressable LEDs" just to be clear he was leaving out the phrase RGB. Every lamp on the game is a color changer.
We've talked about a ton of ideas for how to take advantage of that, but as Joe/Ferret mentioned he really needs to have the physical game in front of him to be able to try them out.

#8629 7 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

Will Joe/Ferret get a physical game before production starts?

Yup. I assume to start at least one of the show prototypes.

#8630 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I thought that was actual chrome plating. Huge environmental regulations and the process make it a huge turnoff. A friend has some car parts that were polished to a chrome like finish locally. They look great, but not sure how durable that finish is. On a show car, it's not a huge deal. On a lockdown bar, it will be eventually.

#8631 7 years ago

How about Giger Alien Ribbed Exo skin wrap?

#8632 7 years ago

Look, if it doesn't match the carpet and curtains then I'm not buying it.

#8633 7 years ago

I want to remind you all that it is not just the armor that is different on the LE.

On my LE Cab I have standard black instead of the pro grey trim. It looks much better than the grey, but the biggest difference for me, is that you get a much glossier finish on the cabinet itself on the LE. The black on the trim is not that glossy but it looks much better than the grey standard. (heard rumors that the black will be standard going forward)

The glossy finish on the whole cabinet is really nice on the LE and almost worth the extra price by itself, in my view. I seldom see that part being talked about.

Chrome or black chrome would be really nice but not 800 extra nice

#8634 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sorry to hear about the manufacturing issues involved with black nickel. But no worries. If this is the plan, then I'll just sit back & wait to see what you guys come up with once the LE art is finished.

In my mind, an Aliens themed Blue/Black look makes the most sense for the LE, but I have no idea what you're thinking.

#8635 7 years ago

If you get some crazy green armor/paint, won't it look wonky when you go to switch out to another game? i.e. FT with green?

#8636 7 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

If you get some crazy green armor/paint, won't it look wonky when you go to switch out to another game? i.e. FT with green?

If that's a concern. Buy a standard with add ons.

#8637 7 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Bright green never made much sense to me anyway. I mean the aliens are grey. I suppose the eggs have some green in them, but they are a dark green. You could go a really dark green and they would play into the eggs and the colonial marines armor. I'll bet that would look nice and if its not as bright, it may swap better with other games.

#8638 7 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

If that's a concern. Buy a standard with add ons.

I don't think people wanting an LE and in on it should need to bend on what they are getting to be able to "utilize" the functionality that Heighway games are founded on, which is interchanging them later. There either needs to be an easy and affordable way to change trim/accent colors for different games moving forward or give a nice neutral option for the LE people that would work with most any game(black, gray, etc.). Then if people want more bold or crazy color options, that is the change, not vice-versa IMO.

Chrome is cool but honestly I'm over it, every game I've had it on I would totally prefer not to, looks great but is higher maintenance to clean and has been overused now on games. For $800 extra I can promise I'm over it and not an option.

#8639 7 years ago

If you don't like what a company has to offer, instead of demanding whatever flavor you prefer, either bite the bullet or just don't buy.

Heighway... Take the Henry Ford approach. "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's black."

#8640 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

How about Giger Alien Ribbed Exo skin wrap?

For her pleasure?

#8641 7 years ago

This is a forum for suggestions which they are reading and responding to and have already said nothing is in stone for colors but thanks for telling us what to buy, I'll continue to try and come up with constructive ideas to help.

#8642 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

This is a forum for suggestions which they are reading and responding to and have already said nothing is in stone for colors but thanks for telling us what to buy, I'll continue to try and come up with constructive ideas to help.

Keep making suggestions, I know I like seeing them, Andrew has been super open to people's thoughts, don't sweat it.

Bottom line: we want this to feel right and people to be happy. You can't please everyone, but good ideas are good ideas.

#8643 7 years ago

How about "Jones Fur" furry armor. Then when you drain, you can just pet the game and relax? Plus, it gets a permanent home in the "Cats and Pinballs" thread.

#8644 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewinBombers:

How about "Jones Fur" furry armor. Then when you drain, you can just pet the game and relax? Plus, it gets a permanent home in the "Cats and Pinballs" thread.

I'll +1 kitty fur armor, I think it's settled purrfectly. See what I did there.

Guess I'll go back to work now that I have gotten this lame by noon.

#8645 7 years ago

Honestly, I would like to see Gloss black powdercoat with some platinum flake in it for the hardware.

Does anyone know if you choose the smaller screen for the back box will the back glass still fit in it? I really like the idea of being able to display the back glass, otherwise what's the point of making it?

If you have the 27" screen, you are never going to take that down and have the back glass in it. I would rather have a discount off the machine instead.

Just my $.02

#8646 7 years ago
Quoted from nman:

MAJORLY like the 1st and 4th pic, if they go w green...dark w color!!!

#8647 7 years ago

I want the LE legs to be gigantic phallic biomech dicks with big biomech looking orifices where the feet are, and I want the coinslots to look like a big gaping mouth right in front of my crotch and I want there to be a little steam generator inside that blows steam out randomly on my crotch, and I want all the rails to be big veiny tubes with veiny hoses and shit all over them and I want the entire package to always be slimey and moist looking, and to be dripping random goo. If you're going to do custom trim, you might as well make it all about sexual organs. There isn't enough Geiger in this machine and you all know it.

But you know what? That's not going to happen, just like 95% of these suggestions are never going to happen. Give me whatever, because if I don't like it I can always change it myself. I personally would prefer a textured matte black, so I can swap out games sometime down the line and it not clash with the theme, but I'll accept whatever.

#8648 7 years ago

I'm liking the green nman posted. I seen glossy black with silver flake in the paint which could look nice too.

Be awesome if the rails were organic shape like parts of the alien skeleton down to the legs. Seems this game has so many sharp edges, like a pinball should be...lol but it could be amazing to see it all tie together somehow. Every time I look at Whoa Nelle I've always been a fan with what they did with the crate design. They really tied the game together astetically inside and out. Once I have my game I'm probably going to do something custom for sure.

#8649 7 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

I want the LE legs to be gigantic phallic biomech dicks

Classic.

rd

#8650 7 years ago

Just get the Heighway Standard Black...looks great on my Full Throttle and would be a more "universal" color for those other 3-4 licenses in the works

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
9,799 (OBO)
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 30,036 posts in this topic. You are on page 173 of 601.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/173?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.