• 24,631 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,837 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg
EE867F13-8192-4B1F-BA97-B9F3A5869811 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 24631 posts in this topic. You are on page 122 of 493.
#6051 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

I just hope that they are able to keep the drop targets inn there and do not have to change to stand-ups. drops are usually the first thing to be taken out when things becomes to expensive.

The playfield artwork at the APC targets specifically says "Drops Light Locks", so who knows if that has changed yet. However after playing Full Throttle, I really liked the RGB LED standup targets. Nobody else is doing that. It makes for a cool look & can easily convey which targets need to be hit. But there are APC LED inserts on the playfield, so it looks like drop targets have been the goal all along.

Drop targets or RGB LED standups..... both are pretty cool if you ask me

#6052 3 years ago

Bringing this thread up from so deep in the newsfeed has given me the Bends.

#6053 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The playfield artwork at the APC targets specifically says "Drops Light Locks", so who knows if that has changed yet. However after playing Full Throttle, I really liked the RGB LED standup targets. Nobody else is doing that. It makes for a cool look & can easily convey which targets need to be hit. But there are APC LED inserts on the playfield, so it looks like drop targets have been the goal all along.
Drop targets or RGB LED standups..... both are pretty cool if you ask me

I think they will go for drop targets (supported by led lighting -> see 2 big white circles. Could be for leds). It also looks that the targets are used for more than one purpose

5b400e073af4913797bd13384ef1d9ed6aa1c053_(resized).jpg

#6054 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballRulez:

I think they will go for drop targets (supported by led lighting -> see 2 big white circles. Could be for leds). It also looks that the targets are used for more than one purpose

You could be on to something there...

#6055 3 years ago

It also looks that the targets are used for more than one purpose

Yup. If the wording didn't make it clear you knock them down in order for one thing, and not for another. Think lighting the extra ball in Fathom for instance. I think it would be interesting to talk about the rules, but I'm not the person to make that call. I'd want Joe and Andrew to say it was cool.

I know people are anxious for news, I get it. But turning the thread into a shit show doesn't help. I had to take a deep breath before draining it myself, and that's kinda sad.

It's not that I blame anyone for being impatient, I'm f**king impatient myself right now. But this derailing dogpile of non sequiturs and tired memes is a pretty lame thing to do to our official game thread. What do you think is going to happen? Fox is going to check Pinside, see that people are posting train pics, and give us permission to show whatever we want?

Tell you what. I'll do what I can to start something positive. My hands are kinda tied right now, but I'll talk about things that are public, but maybe not well known.

If you've seen the video and want to talk about it, go ahead. Andrew said he's going to keep showing it at public gatherings, he's said he's going to show it privately on his phone to people, it's not like it's a secret. Talk about it, it's real.

We're just not allowed to release it publicly because it's full of stuff they haven't run through legal apparently. It's full of movie callouts, manipulated film clips, original animation, original music (which means they need to make sure it's not actually infringing on things from the score it's not supposed to), and prototype toys. Until things are polished we can't really submit them for final approval. So we're stuck in between.

There's a ton of music and sound effects and callouts and animations and rules for this game, just to be clear. But it's not ready for approval yet.

I can't tell you how Fox works, but they approved the playfield, so I guess it was cool to show it. They haven't approved all these media elements that are in the video, so they can't give it the stamp of approval, so it can't be public. That's my best guess.

Has anyone talked about the facehuggers on the slingshots yet? The prototype painted sculpts I've seen are really sweet, and they're just the unposed versions for approval. They 'jump' like the boogie men in Scared Stiff. Let's not pretend it's not like Hobbit's axes too, but these are 3D sculpts, not flat plastic. In spirit they actually look like the original (as far as I know) version of the idea, which is in Data East's King Kong. That used flat plastic, but they were basically the same size as the sculpts I think, if you've played that I'm guessing it will look like that. I love that effect on that game.

They're done by the same sculptor who did the big Xeno head. And it's high quality work, they look great. Great attention to detail. I can't show you a photo, wish I could, but if you've seen the TPF video they're mounted on the slings, with a closeup shot, so it's not a secret.

Dave is tweaking the CAD right now for the next prototype revision playfield to be made, maybe when it's ready we can post an updated layout so you can see the details. We did it before, can't see why not make it current.

But please, if you see someone derailing the thread and posting nonsense, don't confront them, just report them to the mods. This is the official thread, can we at least keep it on topic? If there's no news, you don't have a real question, or at least something to say about the game or the movie, then just don't post. Speculate! I bet if people read through my posts in this thread using that feature to see a single person's posts only they'd find I've left lots of clues about things. I can't even remember what now, I just know that I did it.

If we can't keep it so I have to read through 250 posts of total nonsense every time I try to check in I'm not going to be motivated to do try and help out here. Just being honest, if the thread is depressing me I'm going to avoid it. I'm really busy right now with work, I don't have much hang out at Pinside idle time. And I just have no patience for pointless forum drama now. Work with me here!

#6056 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

You could be on to something there...

You don't need permission from Fox to talk about things you've seen, just saying.

#6057 3 years ago

Thanks for the info...much appreciated.

Pete

#6058 3 years ago

"Every time I do a pull-up... I'm thinking of you..."

red-panda-pull-ups_(resized).png

#6059 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You don't need permission from Fox to talk about things you've seen, just saying.

Always good to see you on this thread, and Pinside , in general....

I dropped some hints, but it didn't seem like anyone was paying attention....then lately it's been a shitshow...

So, being more direct ( and ON topic) I HAVE seen the April video, and the lit drops, facehuggers, rgb egg pops ROCK...

But the thing that blew me away the most was the video interaction w gameplay.....man, some of the sequences were simply off the charts...tied in audio clips, video scenes and mode completion very, very well. The playfield keeps the look of the game dark, and f**king creepy a couple of times.

My only STRONG suggestion...you MUST get the large backbox screen!!!!....seeing " Queen" mode up there, beacons flashing ( they are pretty large and powerful, btw) and the ball flying around the playfield....shit!!!...I haven't felt that immersed in a game in memory....looked like the guy playing was literally going to die or something.

Summary: This game IS real, alive, and flipping, and going to be a fast, scary, badass ride. I know nothing about licensing, but do know I'm glad I'm in.......

Ok......pretty good blab session....

#6060 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

...looked like the guy playing was literally going to die or something.

#6061 3 years ago

So did the heighway team really go after "kaneda"s job for being critical of his work? That's some low down social justice warrior tactics there...

#6062 3 years ago

I hereby confess my sins.

My post on the last page was a devious attempt to lure out some new info and try to get this thread back on track.

Great posts, Aurich, MK6PIN and PinballRulez. Thanks for the info

#6063 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

My post on the last page was a devious attempt to lure out some new info and try to get this thread back on track.

More info to come..........stay tuned

#6064 3 years ago

another ignore user candidate...the list grows

#6065 3 years ago

So what are my odds of getting an Alien pinball machine after they start shipping? I didn't pre-order.

#6066 3 years ago

So yes, I have seen the video too. I try to address everything I can recall in detail here. As I cannot write it down all at once here is a start. Enjoy

After pressing the start button the games starts up. On the background you hear the roll of drums and the screen presents you the option to choose between the ‘Alien’ or ‘Aliens’ story. The footage presented on the screen has a distortion in it that really helps to set the atmosphere together with the sound, giving you already a feeling this is going to be a tense and exciting journey.

The layout of the dashboard looks real cool and fits in very well with the theme. As been hinted before I think, it has some resemblance with the MU/TH/UR 6000 interface. However, the dashboard in the pin is full color instead of monochrome. Film footage is being displayed when selecting between ‘Alien’ and ‘Aliens’. As for what I can remember the footage shown on the playfield screen is the same as shown on the large screen.

When you have made your choice a call out is made: ‘Let’s go, move it on’ (really gives you the feeling of: 'Oke, I am part of the team. What are we going to do) and the ball is travelling through the shooter lane to drop via one of the top lanes into the pop bumpers. The pop bumpers represent the eggs as being seen in the Alien movies and are colored light and dark green. The leds in the pop bumpers create a cool effect and when the ball hits a pop bumper this is accompanied with a nice sound effect.

The ball then travels down to one of the flippers and there you can see the facehuggers on the sling shots. Like Aurich has said they look very detailed already and are going to move just like the boogie men in Scared Stiff.

The game looks overall dark, but that is a good thing as it adds a lot to the dark scary tense atmosphere. The color scheme of the inserts are chosen very well and the translucent inserts above the flippers are a cool feature.

The ramps have a milky frame on top of them. I think it is there to react to UV light. Some ramps also have a decal on them and I think it does represent the corridors as seen in the movies.

Ingame the dashboard shows all the info you need to have, not more and that creates a really good balance. Some font colors and animation use luminous colors that fit in very well.

The Xenomorph head looks A-W-E-S-O-M-E. There is so much detail in it. You almost think she is going to spill her slime on the playfield ‘-)

While the ball is being played the sound of the roll of drums and I think a horn can be heard and the atmosphere is getting even tenser.

And then……the ball is shot into the airlock eject and the ‘Acid Burn’ mode is started……

[ End of part 1 ]

Part 2 can be found here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread/page/124#post-3161487

#6067 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

another ignore user candidate...the list grows

just added you on mine

#6068 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

So what are my odds of getting an Alien pinball machine after they start shipping? I didn't pre-order.

Only the LE version is limited, so I'd think there would be no problem getting one.

#6069 3 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Why wasn't this info shared a LONG time ago though, especially why didn't the pinsider share it?

#6070 3 years ago

I'd love to see the vid.

#6071 3 years ago

Speaking of the alien queen head Im not being critical since the model looks awsome, but doesnt the queen have a big flanged head, the model looks like a regular xenomorph where as the shot map calls it the queen. Just curious

alienqueen_(resized).jpg

#6072 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomahawkjim:

So what are my odds of getting an Alien pinball machine after they start shipping?

A lot better than getting one before they start shipping.

#6073 3 years ago

it has some resemblance with the MU/TH/UR 6000 interface. However, the dashboard in the pin is full color

Id like to see the boot sequence in mono like in the move and then move into full color when the game is booted up.

What do yall remember about the callouts? Did you hear any actors voices?

Im going to meet the Aliens cast in 2 weeks and quiz them on their involvement with the project

--Jeff

0_08_59_(resized).jpg

#6074 3 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

What do yall remember about the callouts? Did you hear any actors voices?

Sounds to me as they came directly from the movies.

#6075 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I had to take a deep breath before draining it myself, and that's kinda sad.
If we can't keep it so I have to read through 250 posts of total nonsense every time I try to check in I'm not going to be motivated to do try and help out here. Just being honest, if the thread is depressing me I'm going to avoid it. I'm really busy right now with work, I don't have much hang out at Pinside idle time.

And I just have no patience for pointless forum drama now. Work with me here!

jesus talk aboot drama

#6076 3 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Speaking of the alien queen head Im not being critical since the model looks awsome, but doesnt the queen have a big flanged head, the model looks like a regular xenomorph where as the shot map calls it the queen. Just curious

The head shown is not from the Queen. She comes to the left of the Xenomorph head I believe as shown on the playfield layout drawing.

#6077 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

jesus talk aboot drama

I don't find it to be overly dramatic at all. This thread has nearly spiraled into a cesspool of absolute bullshit! If it were not for Aurich's posts and those of the few people who have seen the video this thread would rival some of the very worst on Pinside. I get that people are frustrated with the delays and not being shown concrete imagery, but it is what it is. I also get being frustrated with having to wade through every worn out meme on the internet to find something meaningful in this thread. FWIW, I am not one of those that is particularly upset with waiting to see the complete game. I come from a time when the anticipation of something was part of the excitement for it (read: before the internet) and I often lament that the experience of anticipation is something that is now lost to the ever connected world of instant gratification.

#6078 3 years ago

I chose not to get a preview showing because i want to see this killer pin at the finish line!

From the sneak peak accounts of some I'm more excited about this pin that any of them coming on line.

Large screen is a no brainer. Immersion should be off the charts.

I hope it rivals my TWDLE.

#6079 3 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I come from a time when the anticipation of something was part of the excitement for it (read: before the internet)

Greetings, time traveler! I wish I could assure you that your level-headed, calmly expressed views will be embraced in the 2016 Alien pinball thread, but ...

#6080 3 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I don't find it to be overly dramatic at all. This thread has nearly spiraled into a cesspool of absolute bullshit!

No one is denying that....although I might lean more to the side it's been a bit of a mess form early on.
Anyway, I was simply referring to the OPs usual over dramatic "almost draining" the thread and the "depression" from reading the thread...yada yada. The classic anti drama stance by adding a bunch of hyperbole drama

#6081 3 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

I don't find it to be overly dramatic at all. This thread has nearly spiraled into a cesspool of absolute bullshit! If it were not for Aurich's posts and those of the few people who have seen the video this thread would rival some of the very worst on Pinside.

Given the fact that Aurich has a long history on Pinside of spamming other peoples threads, I also agree it's drama.

Back on topic.

Quoted from Aurich:

We're just not allowed to release it publicly because it's full of stuff they haven't run through legal apparently.

This confuses me. FOX green lights showing the playfield and its successfully shown. Andrew then posts he has submitted more machine highlights and will post them as soon as he gets approval. Then with a deadline come and gone, Andrew posts that FOX will no longer approve *anything* until the game has been *fully* completed? - WTF?

Quoted from Aurich:

I can't tell you how Fox works, but they approved the playfield, so I guess it was cool to show it. They haven't approved all these media elements that are in the video, so they can't give it the stamp of approval, so it can't be public.

Sorry but this just doesn't compute. My guess is FOX will get a royalty for each machine sold. Why would the licensor hamstring a company from promoting themselves. FOX has a vested interest in Alien pinball being successful. And suddenly FOX can just change the license agreement on a whim?

#6082 3 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

So did the heighway team really go after "kaneda"s job for being critical of his work? That's some low down social justice warrior tactics there...

Actually, it was exactly the opposite of who contacted who at who's place of employment.

You might want to get your facts straight before posting.

#6083 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Actually, it was exactly the opposite of who contacted who at who's place of employment.

"Thanks for bringing the facts straight! Rumours are a bitch!"

Edited post: heh..... I just heard exactly your opposite, so.... until I hear from both sides, I'd say again... rumours are a "beatch"!

#6084 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Sorry but this just doesn't compute. My guess is FOX will get a royalty for each machine sold. Why would the licensor hamstring a company from promoting themselves. FOX has a vested interest in Alien pinball being successful.

FOX is not going to risk their super valuable franchise by playing fast and loose with licensing.

1000 pinball machines is a drop in the bucket money-wise compared to comics, video games, movies, and merch that appeals to the general population.

#6085 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

FOX is not going to risk their super valuable franchise by playing fast and loose with licensing.
1000 pinball machines is a drop in the bucket money-wise compared to comics, video games, movies, and merch that appeals to the general population.

Then why was the playfield approved and shown? Why a complete shut down on the project after an approval protocol was established? And if Andrew had his ducks in a row, FOX would be rubber stamping everything.

The licensing agreement has been in place for years now. Did Andrew not understand the agreement or did FOX grow frustrated with him?

For the record, I think this game will be built at this point. But I'll not blindly give a thumbs up just because someone tells me "Trust Me" and there are unanswered questions.

#6086 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Then why was the playfield approved and shown?

Just guessing here, but perhaps because it doesn't contain video and audio clips from the movie?

#6087 3 years ago

Then why did they let them publicly display the playfield??

#6088 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This. If you are Fox's IP department, this kind of project (complex, lots of IP integrated, and low $ return) is probably a real pain in the ass! The idea that Fox would bend over backward to facilitate a dinky pinball deal that will net them far less than they make on action figures (which probably require 1/50 the amount of interaction and review) is far-fetched. It certainly seems plausible to me that Fox told Heighway no more piecemeal approvals will be forthcoming.

#6089 3 years ago

Wow a real battle of wits going on here, who gives a shit just wait a few months.

#6090 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Uh, no, the way he said it was correct. Ask Aurich.

#6091 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I finally heard an infamous podcast, so I just edited my previous post... Not taking sides, just

#6092 3 years ago

What do you think the different modes do? Especially Find Jonesy? Can we have pop up Cats like Trolls in MM?

Is this an accurate list of modes that are being worked on as far as anyone knows?

--Jeff

c8a4ae6308886b08ae5ebd94b8350e1becba63fc_(resized).jpg

#6093 3 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

What do you this the different modes do? Especially Find Jonesy? Can we have pop up Cats like Trolls in MM?
Is this an accurate list of modes that are being worked on as far as anyone knows?
--Jeff

So cool!

#6094 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Or you can just look at K's Twitter feed where he's talking about "going after Aurich".

The creepy spell Kaneda has over you is not a hot look.

#6095 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I'd hate to stir up some shit, but let me stir up some shit!

Word around here is it was the opposite of the opposite - that aurich was whining to Chris' boss, who then laughed uncontrollably.

I heard that a few weeks ago. But I ain't one to gossip so you didn't hear that from me.

Time to subpoena some emails!

#6096 3 years ago

I am really really looking forward to playing this pin. The layout looks awesome with so many unique shots. If they do the color changing GI correctly to tie in with the modes the way WOZ does, and change the music and volume to suit it could be awesome!

As for the modes, I hope there is one where the whole playfield going dark with only a few GI lights on to simulate crawling through ducts to hide from the alien. Or dim spots with brighter and the goal is do avoid the light! It sounds like they are well into developing the modes and it also sounds like they want to include a lot of atmosphere, so fingers crossed it all works out as awesome as it sounds like it will!

#6097 3 years ago

Man the same people just stir shit all the time, it's not nearly as edgy as they think.

#6098 3 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Man the same people just stir shit all the time, it's not nearly as edgy as they think.

...and you're one of them...

Aurich can come on here and clear it up quick...

#6099 3 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

...and you're one of them...

Oooh sick burn brah.

#6100 3 years ago

How do yall think this will work? Ball Save like WOZ?
--Jeff

hyper_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 50.00
$ 399.95
There are 24631 posts in this topic. You are on page 122 of 493.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside